• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Bhagawan Ramana Maharishi

KRS

LAKSHMI

The other samadhi in that line belongs to Lakshmi. Her story has been told in many books, so I shall not bother to repeat it here. Instead, I shall just mention one or two incidents about her which I think have not been recorded.

Whenever Lakshmi came for darshan she would walk very fast, not caring about anyone who stood in the way. It was left to the devotees to decide whether they wanted to get out of the way or be trampled on. When she reached Bhagavan's couch she would often stand in front of Bhagavan and put her head on his feet. If she came a little closer he would gently caress her head and neck. Often, they would be so close together that Lakshmi's saliva would fall on Bhagavan's body. If any special food was cooked in the ashram, Bhagavan would serve some to Lakshmi in the hall itself.

I have seen him serving her iddlies, payasam and vadai, all on a banana leaf, just as if she were a human being. Sometimes he would take the food directly to the cowshed and serve her there. On one occasion, when there was very little grass in the ashram, Bhagavan noticed that Lakshmi was not getting enough to eat. That day when he went to the dining room he refused to eat the meal that had been served to him. Instead, he asked the servers to give it to Lakshmi. When news of this strange gesture reached the cowshed, the workers there realized that he was indirectly protesting against the maltreatment of Lakshmi. Some fodder was brought from the bazaar, enabling both Bhagavan and Lakshmi to resume their normal meals.

It has been widely reported that Lakshmi often gave birth to a calf on Bhagavan's birthday. I once saw one of these calves, pure white in color, sitting in front of Bhagavan in the hall. Because of its color and position it looked just like Nandi [the vahana or mount of Siva]. At that time Bhagavan was sitting on a tiger skin, Valli the deer was sitting nearby, the kumutti was burning in front of the sofa, and there was a silver cobra nearby which was being used as an incense holder. With all these accoutrements of the mythical Siva in evidence, it looked like a scene from Mount Kailas [the mountain in the Himalayas where Siva is said to reside].

This reminds me of another small incident, not at all connected with animals, which occurred in the hall. A devotee had brought an album of religious pictures, all of them painted by the great artist Ravi Varma. Bhagavan was showing them to us, one by one, in the hall. When he came to a picture of Lord Siva meditating with closed eyes, I mentioned that it looked very nice.

Bhagavan's only comment was: 'Siva! If you sit with closed eyes like this, who will look after all the activities in the world?'

Many devotees believed that Lakshmi was a reincarnation of Keeraipatti, a woman who had served Bhagavan with food while he was living on the hill. Bhagavan never confirmed this, nor did he ever deny it.

- LWB

1623732959948.png

“BECAUSE YOU HAVEN’T HAD YET ENOUGH OF IT!”

I didn't realize at the time that I was being given this heavy workload for my own good, to keep me near Bhagavan. After living like this for some time, I began to feel that I had too much to do and that my life was being wasted.

One day Bhagavan looked at me intently and said, 'It looks as if you are still hankering after meditation'. I replied, 'I have no time. All I have is endless work in the kitchen.'

Bhagavan responded, with deep feeling, 'Your hands may do the work but your mind can remain still. You are that which never moves. Realize that and you will find work is not a strain.

But as long as you think that you are the body and that the work is done by you, you will feel your life to be an endless toil. In fact, it is the mind that toils, not the body. Even if your body keeps quiet, will your mind keep quiet too? Even in sleep, the mind is busy with its dreams.'

'Yes, Swami,' I replied, 'It is as natural for you to know that you are not your body as it is for us to think that we are the body. I had a dream recently in which you were explaining this very point. I was dreaming that I was working in the kitchen and that you were having your bath in your usual place behind the bamboo-mat partition. ‘You asked, "Who is it?" and I replied, "Who shall I say I am?"

Then you answered, "Exactly so. You are nothing of which something can be said."

That was my dream, and it was all quite clear. Why can't I continuously remember while I am awake that I am not the body?'

'Because you haven't yet had enough of it,' he replied with a smile.

- Subbalakshmi Ammal, The Power of the Presence, part III

hi sir,

even MAHAPERIYAVA OF KANCHIPURAM had high respect towards bhagawan Ramana MAHARISHI...

i heard that many foreign nationals visited kanchipuram ....for referal to maharashi...i have very

high regard towards SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI...EVEN I VISITED HIS ASHRAM IN THIRUVANNAMALAI..

Shaving the mirror!

"All this book learning and capacity to repeat the scriptures by memory is of absolutely no use. To know the Truth, you need not undergo all this torture of learning. Not by reading do you get the Truth. Be quiet that is Truth. Be still, that is God."

He asked me, "Do you shave yourself?".....For shaving you use a mirror, don't you? You look into the mirror and then shave your face; you don't shave the image in the mirror. Similarly all scriptures are meant only to show you the way to Realization. They are meant for practice and attainment. Mere book learning and discussions are comparable to a man shaving the image in the mirror."

From that day onwards the sense of inferiority that I had been feeling vanished once for all.
- R. Narayana Iyer

hi sir,

even MAHAPERIYAVA OF KANCHIPURAM had high respect towards bhagawan Ramana MAHARISHI...

i heard that many foreign nationals visited kanchipuram ....for referal to maharashi...i have very

high regard towards SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI...EVEN I VISITED HIS ASHRAM IN THIRUVANNAMALAI..
Thank you Sri tbs Sir. Yes, even though they did not meet each other, it is recorded that they had very high regard for each other.

I do not know whether you have read ’Secret India’, a book by one Paul Brunton. In there he recounts meeting the Bhagawan and becoming his follower after Maha Periaval’s suggestion to him.

Thanks.

By 1926, Muruganar had left his wife Meenakshi in Chennai to join the ashram. Gentle, innocent Meenakshi was an uneducated lady who had no means of supporting herself. Not knowing how to tackle the world, she would stay with her father for some time, and then come to Tiruvannamalai to beg Muruganar to live with her. Whenever this happened, Muruganar would disappear up the hill and it was always a tough task for even Bhagavan to find him. Each time, he had to send four people after him for three whole days to bring him back! Finally, Bhagavan pleaded with Muruganar to comply with Meenakshi. Muruganar was so stubborn that he ran away into the hill once more.
So, Bhagavan found another way to soothe Meenakshi. He took special care of Meenakshi. When I met her, she told me of many instances of her direct experiences with Bhagavan. I requested her to put them all in writing, which she did in Tamil, in a notebook that is now in the archives of the ashram.

One incident mentioned in the book particularly touched my heart: One day Bhagavan asked Meenakshi:
“Meenakshi what can I do for you?” Meenakshi showed him her torn sari. “Bhagavan, look at my sari! What
do I want? I want clothes and food to eat, which have been denied to me because my husband is not taking care of me.” Bhagavan was so moved that he said, “Meenakshi, I assure you that all your life, there will not be a dearth of these two things - clothes and food.” Bhagavan did not stop with just this verbal assurance.
He sent Kunju Swami to the head of the Isanya Mutt in town, to ask for a sari.
A master in a loin cloth, who seldom asked anything for himself, sent a sannyasi to another sannyasi to beg for a sari for a devotee's wife!

He then offered it to her with the repeated assurance, “Meenakshi, you will be happy. You will be provided with clothes and food all your life.”

- Ramana Periya Puranam, 'Muruganar'

Srimathi Dr. Renuka Ji,

I have not heard that. But, if that is so, it would not surprise me. Thanks.

I found the link which states so but I had read it from a book I have.

Supplement to Forty Verses (Ulladu Napadu):

34: For the illiterate there is only one family consisting of wife, children and dependants. But in the mind of those with much learning there are many families of books, theories, and opinions as obstacles to yoga.

Supplement to Forty Verses (Ulladu Napadu):

39: Keep Advaita within the heart. Do not ever carry it into action. Even if you apply it to all the three worlds, O Son, it is not to be applied to the Guru.

CONSCIOUS IMMORTALITY

Q: How can I develop?

M: Why go on pruning the ego? That is just what it wants — to be the center of attraction.
The false ego is associated with objects; the subject alone is the Reality.

The world is seen in the light reflected by the mind. The moon shines by the reflected light of the sun. When the sun has set, the moon is useful for seeing things, but when the sun rises no one needs the moon, even though it is visible in the sky.

So it is with the mind and Heart. The mind is used for seeing objects.

The Self is there whether you search for it or not. The cessation of false identification reveals the Self which is eternally existing. This is called realization.

Blankness is the evil result of searching with the mind. The mind must be erased out of existence. See who the thinker is, who the seeker is.

Then abide as the thinker, the seeker, and all thoughts will then disappear. That ego is pure ego purged of thoughts. It is the same as the Self.

Thank you Sri tbs Sir. Yes, even though they did not meet each other, it is recorded that they had very high regard for each other.

I do not know whether you have read ’Secret India’, a book by one Paul Brunton. In there he recounts meeting the Bhagawan and becoming his follower after Maha Periaval’s suggestion to him.

Thanks.
Hi Sir,

I heard the story abt Paul Brunton.....even famous book..WHO I AM I?....the story behind mahaperayava's

disguise blessings.....i like SRI RAMANA MAHARISHI in many ways....without attach any mutt...AN REAL

JINGNASU....REAL JNANI....REAL ADVAITHIN.....THANKS FOR SHARING....i agreed vedic astrology by

B RAMAN FROM BANGALORE...i believe in VEDIC ASROLOGY....but i dont want commend much in

other thread....

Past sins:

Bhagavan never encouraged people who came and started to confess their sins. He would not allow them to continue but shut them up by telling them not to dwell on the past but to find out who they were now in the present. The point was not the act but attachment to it that mattered. Dwelling on it in retrospect was the worst thing they could possibly do. This itself was attachment.

-- Major Chadwick

Sri Iyest Sir,

Major Chadwick was an interesting man. To my knowledge, he remained a non-vegetarian throughout his life. And secondly, he acted as a body guard for the Bhagawan, getting quite angry when he perceived any physical harm coming in the way of the Bhagawan!

Hi Sir,

I heard the story abt Paul Brunton.....even famous book..WHO I AM I?....the story behind mahaperayava's

disguise blessings.....i like SRI RAMANA MAHARISHI in many ways....without attach any mutt...AN REAL

JINGNASU....REAL JNANI....REAL ADVAITHIN.....THANKS FOR SHARING....i agreed vedic astrology by

B RAMAN FROM BANGALORE...i believe in VEDIC ASROLOGY....but i dont want commend much in

other thread....
Yes, Sir. I understand.

Sri Iyest Sir,

Major Chadwick was an interesting man. To my knowledge, he remained a non-vegetarian throughout his life. And secondly, he acted as a body guard for the Bhagawan, getting quite angry when he perceived any physical harm coming in the way of the Bhagawan!

Rumours were often spread in the Ashram even during the time of Bhagavan. This is probably one of them. Here is what Chadwick himself writes on the subject.

Bhagavan said that the principal sadhanas we should practice were to eat only saatvic food and observe satsanga.........Once in my early days someone spread the rumour that I was preparing meat dishes in my kitchen. It was, of course a lie, my food was actually more saatvic than the Ashramam food.

--- Major Chadwick's Reminiscences

Rumours were often spread in the Ashram even during the time of Bhagavan. This is probably one of them. Here is what Chadwick himself writes on the subject.

Bhagavan said that the principal sadhanas we should practice were to eat only saatvic food and observe satsanga.........Once in my early days someone spread the rumour that I was preparing meat dishes in my kitchen. It was, of course a lie, my food was actually more saatvic than the Ashramam food.

--- Major Chadwick's Reminiscences
Sri Iyest Sir,

I actually read somewhere what I posted about the Major. In the first few years of following the Bhagawan’s teachings, I read anything and everything about him. But for the last few years, I rarely read about his followers, except stories about the Bhagawan himself. So, when I saw the Major’s name, my mind took me back to those stories.

Thank you for clarifying.

Sri Iyest Sir,

I actually read somewhere what I posted about the Major. In the first few years of following the Bhagawan’s teachings, I read anything and everything about him. But for the last few years, I rarely read about his followers, except stories about the Bhagawan himself. So, when I saw the Major’s name, my mind took me back to those stories.

Thank you for clarifying.

Yes sir. Not everything written about Bhagavan and the ashramam is true. In this case, Chadwick started cooking in his own kitchen because he found the ashramam food to be too spicy. Some other foreigners also faced this problem. Some people may have simply assumed that Chadwick was cooking meat without bothering to verify.

hi

even ISAI GNANI is very close to sri ramamana mahrishi....i heard that some kavyam called

RAMANIYAM....STORY BASED ON MAHARSHI...

Consequences of desire:

Bhagavan then hastened to add "Every act must have its consequences. If anything comes your way by reason of prarabdha you can't help it. If you take what comes, without any special attachment and without any desire for more of it or for a repetition of it, it will not harm you by leading to further births. On the other hand, if you enjoy it with great attachment and naturally desire for more of it, that is bound to lead to more and more births."

--- Devaraja Mudaliar's Reminiscences

Suicide:

Bhagavan: Killing the innocent body is certainly wrong. Suicide must be committed on the mind, where the suffering is deposited, and not on the body, which is insentient and feels nothing. The mind is the real culprit, being the creator of the anguish which tempts to suicide, but by an error of judgement, the innocent, insentient body is punished for it.

-- S.S. Cohen

Latest ads

Back