• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Aryan invasion confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had not read any post in this thread for long. When I started today, I was struck by frequent references to the "Case of Sri. R".

SRi. R walked out on his family since he felt that his daughters were not following the Brahminical tradition as defined by himself.

To begin with we have only the version of his wife who is an affected/aggrieved party. We have no information about Sri. R's view point.

Assuming that the version of his wife is correct, I do not think there is anything wrong.

A Belief/Principle is something for which you have to pay a cost. If there is no cost attached to it, there is nothing great about that principle.

Freedom fighters, Social workers, Sannyasis and their like have often been condemned because of their neglect of the family. The great Vanchi Iyer did not think about his family before executing Ash. His family was rendered destitute. Sannyasis do not think of their family before taking Sannyasa. Their families are in most cases unhappy. For all we know Sri. R could have taken the life of a Sannyasi. Even this would be termed by the family as Brahminical.

All that we know is that Sri. R walked out on his family.

There is no reason why we should associate Brahminism with such actions of individuals. This could happen to any one irrespective of religion, caste or community.

I do not think anyone should make an accommodation of any principle that one holds dear, just to please the family and society.

Dear tks Sir:

Please read again the answer Praveen gave to Gopindu regarding who can participate in this TB Forum.

He clearly said "This Forum is meant for Tamil Brahmins and OTHERS"!

My feeling is you don't like "OTHERS" in this Forum! Because you just can't handle them!

Too bad, you are not the owner of this Baby! Lol.

Take care.

Regards

Y

Dear tks Sir:

Please read again the answer Praveen gave to Gopindu regarding who can participate in this TB Forum.

He clearly said "This Forum is meant for Tamil Brahmins and OTHERS"!

My feeling is you don't like "OTHERS" in this Forum! Because you just can't handle them!

Too bad, you are not the owner of this Baby! Lol.

Take care.

Regards

Y

Sri Y -

Please stop playing victim, I never expressed any feelings about 'Others' - only pointed the prejudice implied in your message.
I replied to you already on your response.

I never made any comments about who can post or not. Perhaps you meant to address this to someone else

Regards

I had not read any post in this thread for long. When I started today, I was struck by frequent references to the "Case of Sri. R".

SRi. R walked out on his family since he felt that his daughters were not following the Brahminical tradition as defined by himself.

To begin with we have only the version of his wife who is an affected/aggrieved party. We have no information about Sri. R's view point.

Assuming that the version of his wife is correct, I do not think there is anything wrong.

A Belief/Principle is something for which you have to pay a cost. If there is no cost attached to it, there is nothing great about that principle.

Freedom fighters, Social workers, Sannyasis and their like have often been condemned because of their neglect of the family. The great Vanchi Iyer did not think about his family before executing Ash. His family was rendered destitute. Sannyasis do not think of their family before taking Sannyasa. Their families are in most cases unhappy. For all we know Sri. R could have taken the life of a Sannyasi. Even this would be termed by the family as Brahminical.

All that we know is that Sri. R walked out on his family.

There is no reason why we should associate Brahminism with such actions of individuals. This could happen to any one irrespective of religion, caste or community.

I do not think anyone should make an accommodation of any principle that one holds dear, just to please the family and society.

Sri நச்சினார்க்கினியன் -

Not accommodation of universal principles is one thing since that is a Samanya Dharma which tends to be universal and objective. However most human being confuse belief systems, value systems which are highly subjective with universal principles.

For all we know Mr R and his family may have made a huge mistake since it is not clear what universal principles on which they have this dysfunctional family relations. That kind of suffering is meaningless in my view since most likely the disagreements are likely to be subjective

Regards

"Mr Y has stated has proclaimed a few times on his own that he is not a Brahmin. I consider a person who has proclaimed tradition X to go to a forum of tradition Y and bashing their practice to be particularly disrespectful."

Dear tks Sir:

I have proclaimed NO tradition X before, excepting to say that I don't follow any "Organized Religions" as prescribed by the Holy Books of Vedas, Koran, Torah or Bible. But I believe in Nature and the Power or Force it has on human life in this planet....

"to go to a forum of tradition Y and bashing their practice to be particularly disrespectful."

If you don't have objection for "OTHERS" to participate in this TB Forum, can you explain the above sentence to me, please.

I just want to know about your nuanced position on this issue.

Remember, as you acknowledged before we all have subtle "bias" as humans, I can understand you well if you can kindly elaborate on the above sentence!

Thanks..

ps. I am not a victim here! Many people feel "I am the basher"! lol

Last edited:
"I dont really think poets and saints were so delusional and almost marijuana aided as to imagine all these stories.
So I will still stick to my believe that Aryan is just a terminology for A Noble One and Dravidian is just a Geographical Location and not races."

Hello Renuka:

I understand your pov on this issue.. Please tell me

1. According to the Yuga given by Adi Poet Valmiki, how many years ago Lord Rama was born in Ayodhya?

Some calculations show that he was born about 170,000 years ago; do you believe this?

2. It seems in another context, Valmiki says that he met Lord Rama and his Brother "this morning". Is this true?

He also says, it seems that he took care of the children of Rama and Sita. Is this true?

3. Most people believe that Maha Bharat was written in about 200 BC, and Ramayanam was written at the time of Christ.. Do you believe this?

Please tie your answer to 1-3 and construct the most plausible coherent view of what happened about 2000 year ago.

Thanks

Y

Last edited:
by any chance YAMAKA is cloned form of sh.NARA. requesting an IP mapping

i was wrong in thinking this place would be better without the three prone brahmin bashers NHS group, and it was going well for last 2 weeks, and now here is some one with hood, throwing spanner again

Shri ShivKC sir,

Kindly clarify whom you refer to as "some one with hood, throwing spanner again"; if you are trying to get two mangos with one stone, let it be clear as to how you consider me as "brahmin basher".

"Mr Y has stated has proclaimed a few times on his own that he is not a Brahmin. I consider a person who has proclaimed tradition X to go to a forum of tradition Y and bashing their practice to be particularly disrespectful."

Dear tks Sir:

I have proclaimed NO tradition X before, excepting to say that I don't follow any "Organized Religions" as prescribed by the Holy Books of Vedas, Koran, Torah or Bible. But I believe in Nature and the Power or Force it has on human life in this planet....

"to go to a forum of tradition Y and bashing their practice to be particularly disrespectful."

If you don't have objection for "OTHERS" to participate in this TB Forum, can you explain the above sentence to me, please.

I just want to know about your nuanced position on this issue.

Remember, as you acknowledged before we all have subtle "bias" as humans, I can understand you well if you can kindly elaborate on the above sentence!

Thanks..

ps. I am not a victim here! Many people feel "I am the basher"! lol

Sri Y -

Please re-read post #75 which was my main response to you. It is irrelevant to me what your belief system is. (Atheism is also a form of religion since it is based on a belief system). In any case Brahminsim is not your stated identity. That is all fine since all that matters for my engagement is that you come across a person that has good intent in your posts.

What is subtle put down (referencing brahminism as a key reason to describing a dysfunctional relationship) due to a (latent or expressed) bias could come across as a serious put down to others that hold that identity. The religion or tradition is irrelevant to the story of Mr R since it can happen to any family from any religion. Subtle put downs are sometimes more effective in bashing a group though I think that was not your intent. For the recipient of the message it is not subtle - it is bashing.

If I were an atheist, I would not go to a Catholic church and tell them of knowing a devout Catholic person I know is a loser. I don't have to explicitly say or even mean 'all church goers are losers'. People there will not appreciate my statement and will think that I have no respect or sensitivity.

I have said all I have to at this point.

Peace

Please re-read all my postings because it answers all your questions.

"I dont really think poets and saints were so delusional and almost marijuana aided as to imagine all these stories.
So I will still stick to my believe that Aryan is just a terminology for A Noble One and Dravidian is just a Geographical Location and not races."

Hello Renuka:

I understand your pov on this issue.. Please tell me

1. According to the Yuga given by Adi Poet Valmiki, how many years ago Lord Rama was born in Ayodhya?

Some calculations show that he was born about 170,000 years ago; do you believe this?

2. It seems in another context, Valmiki says that he met Lord Rama and his Brother "this morning". Is this true?

He also says, it seems that he took care of the children of Rama and Sita. Is this true?

3. Most people believe that Maha Bharat was written in about 200 BC, and Ramayanam was written at the time of Christ.. Do you believe this?

Please tie your answer to 1-3 and construct the most plausible coherent view of what happened about 2000 year ago.

Thanks

Y

Dear Yamaka,

I believe whatever written in the Epics becos i dont think that a heritage as glorious as ours(Sanathana Dharma) did not go along the lines of Sathyam Vada Dharmam
Chara.

It might look as if I didnt answer your question in your point of view but to me that's my answer to your Questions 1, 2 & 3.

P.S If Yugas dont exists then why are you even using terminologies like BC and AD..based on what?Did Jesus exist?(note: I have nothing againts Jesus as I firmly believe He is also personification of divinity in His own right..this Question is just for discussion purposes)

Last edited:
Dear Yamaka,

I believe whatever written in the Epics becos i dont think that a heritage as glorious as ours(Sanathana Dharma) did not go along the lines of Sathyam Vada Dharmam
Chara.

It might look as if I didnt answer your question in your point of view but to me that's my answer to your Questions 1, 2 & 3.

P.S If Yugas dont exists then why are you even using terminologies like BC and AD..based on what?Did Jesus exist?(note: I have nothing againts Jesus as I firmly believe He is also personification of divinity in His own right..this Question is just for discussion purposes)

Hello Renuka:

You answered the questions well "....did not go along the lines of Sathyam Vada Dharmam Chara"

Regarding BC and AD, as you know, it's just a point of reference to monitor time or period.. Nothing more nothing less, IMO.

About Jesus Christ: I believe he did live in flesh and blood; he was teaching or preaching against certain practices of the Jews in his life time; this did not go well with the Jews, who recommended to the Roman King to crucify him, and they did. This is a known history.

What his disciples did after his death (which most probably he did not know!) became an Organized Religion - the Christianity.

Likewise, Prophet Muhammed also lived in flesh and blood. He did not know that a brand new Organized Religion called Islam would take effect after his death about 1400 years ago.

I have no idea as to when Lord Rama or Lord Shiva or Lord Brahma was born in this world.. I am just searching for some historical information... that's all.

Take care.

Y

Sri Y -

Please re-read post #75 which was my main response to you. It is irrelevant to me what your belief system is. (Atheism is also a form of religion since it is based on a belief system). In any case Brahminsim is not your stated identity. That is all fine since all that matters for my engagement is that you come across a person that has good intent in your posts.

What is subtle put down (referencing brahminism as a key reason to describing a dysfunctional relationship) due to a (latent or expressed) bias could come across as a serious put down to others that hold that identity. The religion or tradition is irrelevant to the story of Mr R since it can happen to any family from any religion. Subtle put downs are sometimes more effective in bashing a group though I think that was not your intent. For the recipient of the message it is not subtle - it is bashing.

[
If I were an atheist, I would not go to a Catholic church and tell them of knowing a devout Catholic person I know is a loser. I don't have to explicitly say or even mean 'all church goers are losers'. People there will not appreciate my statement and will think that I have no respect or sensitivity.

I have said all I have to at this point.

Peace

Please re-read all my postings because it answers all your questions.

1. Atheism is NOT a form of religion because it has NO belief system!

"For the recipient of the message it is not subtle - it is bashing."

2. Maybe, to a super-sensitive, defensive person who is not sure of his/her belief or the validity of his/her thinking!

3. This is a public Forum where all sorts of opinions are invited... this is neither a private residence nor a Church nor a Mosque nor a Temple!

Last edited:
1. Atheism is NOT a form of religion because it has NO belief system!

"For the recipient of the message it is not subtle - it is bashing."

2. Maybe, to a super-sensitive, defensive person who is not sure of his/her belief or the validity of his/her thinking!

3. This is a public Forum where all sorts of opinions are invited... this is neither a private residence nor a Church nor a Mosque nor a Temple!

Shri Yamaka sir,

I am sorry for intruding into your dialogue with Shri tks sir. But I have my views on the points raised above.

1. Atheism is based on belief - that there is no God and atheists spend much of their energy and resources in buttressing this belief as best as they can. Hence atheism is as much a belief system as theism.

3. This forum does not tolerate all sorts of opinions. It wants to safeguard all that is cherished by the Tamil Brahmin community and opinions against such beliefs are unwelcome here. And this has been amply clarified by the SM himself here http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/6457-flaws-advaita-real-perceived-14.html#post79680, in the following words:

As you have rightly said, I have the power to throw you out. Please think a bit on this, why I have not done so, when I constantly get PMs from a lot of Forum members here who routinely ask why we are entertaining folks like you, who do not respect our identity as a Brahmin, on the cultural basis?

Shri Yamaka sir,

I am sorry for intruding into your dialogue with Shri tks sir. But I have my views on the points raised above.

1. Atheism is based on belief - that there is no God and atheists spend much of their energy and resources in buttressing this belief as best as they can. Hence atheism is as much a belief system as theism.

3. This forum does not tolerate all sorts of opinions. It wants to safeguard all that is cherished by the Tamil Brahmin community and opinions against such beliefs are unwelcome here. And this has been amply clarified by the SM himself here http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/6457-flaws-advaita-real-perceived-14.html#post79680, in the following words:

As you have rightly said, I have the power to throw you out. Please think a bit on this, why I have not done so, when I constantly get PMs from a lot of Forum members here who routinely ask why we are entertaining folks like you, who do not respect our identity as a Brahmin, on the cultural basis?

Hello Sarma:

I have not participated in the Flaws of Advaita: Perceived or Real, thus I don't know the context in which the SM wrote you...

In any case, I stand by my comments... if you still insist on this point, please contact Praveen, the owner of the site..

Never try to censor my views and thoughts! You may blather all day what you want to say... that's fine with me!!

Take care,

Y

Shri Yamaka sir,

Sri Sarma -

People sometimes unintentionally put down a whole society in a 'subtle' manner by using an example of a loser behavior to be associated with a group as a whole. Normally if that is pointed out many may just acknowledge their mistake and even apologize if they feel they have violated their own personal standards and move on. When someone persists on such topics there is questionable intent in my view and such people often abuse the privileges of an open society or forum to advance own agenda.

Bashing any group subtly or overtly by anyone is an act of insensitivity if accidental and sign of insecurity if deliberate. Often it is not worth our time engaging with such people in my view and certainly not worth the time of the moderator or forum owner. Attention is what such people seek.

My suggestion is to ignore and not engage with anyone who has narrow minded perspectives in open forums like this.

Regards

Sri Sarma -

People sometimes unintentionally put down a whole society in a 'subtle' manner by using an example of a loser behavior to be associated with a group as a whole. Normally if that is pointed out many may just acknowledge their mistake and even apologize if they feel they have violated their own personal standards and move on. When someone persists on such topics there is questionable intent in my view and such people often abuse the privileges of an open society or forum to advance own agenda.

Bashing any group subtly or overtly by anyone is an act of insensitivity if accidental and sign of insecurity if deliberate. Often it is not worth our time engaging with such people in my view and certainly not worth the time of the moderator or forum owner. Attention is what such people seek.

My suggestion is to ignore and not engage with anyone who has narrow minded perspectives in open forums like this.

Regards

Hello Sarma:

Please follow what the High Priest is saying!

Enjoy...

ps. A disclosure: High Priest is not in India, and his version of Brahminism could be diametrically opposite to the "main stream" Brahminism! Beware!!

Dear tks,

Please do not take this as anything other than a mere disagreement of POV.

To me, defining a good person as something more than just a good person, but a "Brahmin", as you seem to suggest with your citation of Ch 18 of BG, is one of the most offensive things humans can envision, especially considering what BG says in Chapter 9. But then, that is just me, no expectation on my part that anyone will agree with me.

Coming to Mr. Y., who he is, what he is, must be least of our concern, the relevant question is nothing more, or less, than the validity of what he says. I find his unquestioning support of Obama troublesome, but that is just what it is -- it is what it is.

On the other hand, I find the views he expresses on social issues spot on. Now, what am I to do, because he is not born to bramin caste his views on social customs, if not agreeable to me, ipso facto, disrespectful? What about my own views, one who has voluntarily discarded the முப்புரிநூல், having been quite orthodox, never having missed sandhya three times a day? Are my views any less disrespectful because of it?

The fact is, as an individual, we all owe more to our own progeny than the norm set by the society. The society at large could care less whether Mr. R is happy or not. They may argue he is an example for all the rest of the wannabe orthodox. But then, when it comes to their own kith and kin, how many will do what our metaphorical Mr. R. did? Happily, I know most will eloquently pay homage to Mr. R., but will opt for more practical and less glamorous accommodation with the younguns. You may decry this hypocrisy, but this hypocrisy is one I can happily endorse.

Cheers!

Sri Nara -

It is possible though you may think improbable that you may have misunderstood Bhagavad Gita (BG).

Verses in Chapter 18 that I referred to as well as Chapter 9 (verses 32, 33) are often misunderstood and given your POV about Brahminism it is not surprising that you think these are the most offensive things humans can envision!

The reason I am not attempting to say anymore is because you already have an opinion. Only a qualified teacher in an environment where you really want to know the truth as a student can possibly help correct your misperceptions in my view. This forum is inadequate for such a dialog. Let me at least provide my understanding of why our tradition of learning places such an emphasis on Guru-Parampara.

What I am about to say is not defense of BG or Vedas since truth and Pramanas ('means of knowledge') do not require any defense from anyone. I am sure you know that these teachings cannot be understood without adequate preparation which goes beyond reading a few translations or books.

Let me provide an analogy to explain a point first. There are few things in nature where the 'part contains the whole'. A cell with the DNA coding information has all the knowledge required to reconstruct the whole given the right environment for example. In Sanskrit as you know every word has a verbal root and often a word or a verse can have the entire knowledge built in and one cannot get this without knowing the context fully. To get the full context one would have to go through a lot of teachings. So there is a catch-22 situation here. It is as if some set of verses (part) contain the whole teaching!

A qualified guru who has earned the rights to teach is able to provide the context while teaching each of the verses that make up the whole teaching. That person has to rely on his or her Guru and so on. The first Guru symbolically is thought to be Lord Dakshnamurthi which is sort of way to reinforce the notion that Sruthi is an independent Pramana. There are actually fine logical reasons to understand this point about Pramanas but that is a different discussion.

So without a Guru and with your current Raga-Dwesha about Brahminism it is not possible to make a convincing case as to what verses of BG chapter 18 is saying. You can understand my reticence in engaging in a discussion regarding those verses of BG that you find offensive.

You are right - one must only examine the validity of what a person is saying notwithstanding their background though their background can shed light in matters of put-downs of a whole community. A prejudiced put down of a whole community under the name of freedom expression when sensed to be coming from anyone needs to be called out in my view.

If I am not from a culture or tradition, norms would require more sensitivity on my part in doling out comments of that tradition or culture especially when they are unflattering. Chris Rock, a famous black comedian uses racially degrading words of blacks in most of his jokes. The same would never be tolerated if spoken by a white comedian.

Regarding Mr R I have no views since I do not know both sides of a situation. I tend to agree with you that most family issues are caused by immaturity mostly on the part of the parents under the name of some principles which tend to be not objective universal principles but a subjective value statement. The plight of Mr R can happen to anyone and has nothing to do with his self-proclaimed religion or culture.

Regards

....Atheism is based on belief - that there is no God
Is this not a contradiction in terms -- to assert that refusing to believe in the absence of convincing evidence, is, in itself, a belief as well?

If believers are happy and proud of being believers, I don't understand why they feel this urge to tell the non-believers they are also just like them, believers. As a non-believer, I don't want to tell believers they are also like me, a rational non-believer.

I say to the believers, why do you want us in your midst? Tell us we are not worthy of being believers -- that should suit us both quite well :). Go ahead, take pride in your belief and keep the non-believing barbarians out of your gates.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
"Let me provide an analogy to explain a point first. There are few things in nature where the 'part contains the whole'. A cell with the DNA coding information has all the knowledge required to reconstruct the whole given the right environment for example. In Sanskrit as you know every word has a verbal root and often a word or a verse can have the entire knowledge built in and one cannot get this without knowing the context fully. To get the full context one would have to go through a lot of teachings. So there is a catch-22 situation here. It is as if some set of verses (part) contain the whole teaching!"

What a blatant abuse of analogy!

The knowledge of DNA and cell is the fruit of discoveries in Biology and Medicine...matters of Science (where experimentation is the hallmark), which is abused here to support the "Voodoo" of someone's philosophical teachings - matters of Faith....!!!! Lol

Very funny....

Last edited:
Dear tks, once again I start with the disclaimer that what I am about to say is nothing more than just a different POV, nothing personal.

..Verses in Chapter 18 that I referred to as well as Chapter 9 (verses 32, 33) are often misunderstood and given your POV about Brahminism it is not surprising that you think these are the most offensive things humans can envision!
You are assuming that my POV preceded my understanding of Chapter 9. Au contraire! It is my understanding of Chapter 9 of BG that inevitably fashioned my POV.

My indictment is not on the entirety of BG, only those verses that underscore birth-based Varna system. Srimat BG does have many thoughtful reflections, but it also contains superstitious Bhakti stuff, and, unfortunately, a small sprinkling of odious Varna stuff.

What BG teaches about Varna starts from Chapter 1 verse 41 - 43, where Arjuna clearly asserts a connection between chastity of women and Varna. The fact that Lord Sri Krishna goes to lot of trouble to relieve Arjuna of many of his doubts, but not what he states in these verses must be kept in mind when we come to Chapter 9 and to Chapter 18. When taken in total, I think I am on firm grounds when I say BG teaches some really offensive stuff. Please tell me why I am wrong about this.

Now, your assertion that the true purport can be ascertained only from a qualified Acharya is indefensible. This amounts to conceding to orthodoxy even before we begin.

The reason I am not attempting to say anymore is because you already have an opinion.
tks, I value my internal honesty more than sticking to my own opinion a la உடும்புப் பிடி. To be wedded to a particular opinion is to be closed-minded. I promise you, with all the earnestness that I can possibly command, I am ready to be persuaded.

On the other hand, the way you deal with opinions with which you disagree, I get a feeling you have little tolerance for POV that do not align with your own. Contrary to your aversion for opposing POV, the great Brahminical Acharyas of yore never hesitated to argue with those who did not agree with them, They never demanded that their opponents must first accept the authority of orthodox Acharyas they themselves approve.

So without a Guru and with your current Raga-Dwesha about Brahminism
My dwesha is strictly about the idea of Brahminism and what it stands for. I don't agree that Brahmin identity is nothing more than a cultural identity. No practicing Brahmin will accept someone who is willing to adopt this cultural identity in all its nuances, unless both his/her parents are Brahmins as well. It is this birth prerequisite that makes it more than mere cultural identity.

BTW, I am of the firm belief that what is good for Brahmins is to shun their superficial Brahmin identity and embrace their human identity, just as much as the Chettiar must abandon their Chettiyar identity and embrace human identity, repeated for each dominant caste. The reason I am singling out dominant caste is they wield the power that can be wielded this way or not.

Regarding Mr R I have no views since I do not know both sides of a situation.
To me, Mr. R. is nothing more than a parable of sorts. Mr. R is nothing more, or less, than all the young Brahmin kids who crossed the uncrossable ocean, seeking that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, had kids, grew nostalgic and a little guilty, wanted the kids to be what they were not and what they could never be.

Most, like me, realized the hypocrisy and allowed the kids to love us, and there were few Mr. Rs, who unfortunately deprived themselves of bliss, and worse, robbed their own kids of some of it for no fault of their own -- after all they didn't ask be born and brought up in this western culture, did they?

Cheers!

....Mr. R, God Bless where he is, all we know, has a disfunctional family. the causes of it, is beyond our comprehension. i think, it is best that we drop him, his family and the daughters.
K, this has been bothering me. It is Mr. R who was dysfunctional in the culture in which he chose to make his living and raise his daughters. The daughters didn't have any option but to grow up in the culture in which their father raised them. So, I think, the family was not dysfunctional, it is Mr.R. who is.

Cheers!

Is this not a contradiction in terms -- to assert that refusing to believe in the absence of convincing evidence, is, in itself, a belief as well?

If believers are happy and proud of being believers, I don't understand why they feel this urge to tell the non-believers they are also just like them, believers. As a non-believer, I don't want to tell believers they are also like me, a rational non-believer.

I say to the believers, why do you want us in your midst? Tell us we are not worthy of being believers -- that should suit us both quite well :). Go ahead, take pride in your belief and keep the non-believing barbarians out of your gates.

Cheers!

Sri Nara -

I am sure Sri Sarma can answer this fully.
Refusing to believe anything is not atheism - Asserting that there is no Isvara for this jagat is a belief system.

Faith begins when reasoning faculty is suspended. So anytime someone claims something as definitive and preaches that without reason it becomes a religion.
In that sense Atheism is a religion though not an organized one.

Vedanta / Veda (and basis for Sanathana Dharma) is not based on faith. I do not expect many (atheists and theists) to understand this point. It is about discovering Isvara without faith.

If Upanishand is like any other faith based religion there will be some assertions and then rest of the 'holy book' would be about preaching using human weaknesses as a leverage. By the way Pramana is not same as Faith!

As you may know our tradition of learning Veda / Upanishads encourages Q&A. BG as well as much of Upanishads are presented as a Q&A and teaching is much harder than preaching. It takes a large amount of infrastructure and right attitude to learn before the teachings become understood. That is why there is emphasis on 'earning the right to learn and teach ' of any craft in our tradition.

So the only body of knowledge that is not based on a belief system (thereby requiring faith and suspension of reason) is study of Upanishad.
There are many excellent texts as you may know since you want evidence based learning which is perfectly fine. Even the book that Sri Saidevo has referenced in another thread (Science of Peace) is a fine start too if you already have a lot of background. I know you may have already browsed that book

Regards

Hello Renuka:

You answered the questions well "....did not go along the lines of Sathyam Vada Dharmam Chara"

Regarding BC and AD, as you know, it's just a point of reference to monitor time or period.. Nothing more nothing less, IMO.

About Jesus Christ: I believe he did live in flesh and blood; he was teaching or preaching against certain practices of the Jews in his life time; this did not go well with the Jews, who recommended to the Roman King to crucify him, and they did. This is a known history.

What his disciples did after his death (which most probably he did not know!) became an Organized Religion - the Christianity.

Likewise, Prophet Muhammed also lived in flesh and blood. He did not know that a brand new Organized Religion called Islam would take effect after his death about 1400 years ago.

I have no idea as to when Lord Rama or Lord Shiva or Lord Brahma was born in this world.. I am just searching for some historical information... that's all.

Take care.

Y

Dear Yamaka,

Ok going on your lines of thought that you BELIEVE that Jesus and Mohammed existed...the key word is BELIEVE.

So if you believe that they existed..I also BELIEVE everyone else EXISTED.

And my dear..can you read what I wrote in the 1st line again..you are very cleverly quoting me out of context and thats NOT FAIR at all!!!!
You cant just take out one line and keep it hanging there as if I said that.
You should be a politician..move over Jaya or MK..Here comes Yamaka!!!

Dear All, I want to state this very clearly when I wrote this:
Chara

It was real clear that I was saying that a heritage as glorious as ours followed Sathyam Vada Dharmam Chara.

... Asserting that there is no Isvara for this jagat is a belief system.
tks, you are misstating my/athiest position. Atheism is about not believing in a deity who cares about the human condition, an omniscient, omnipotent entity that can be influenced through prayer. To prove such a deity exists is the responsibility of those who claim such a deity exists.

When it comes to a Iswara as the primordial cause of material universe, it is irrational to assert any definitive position. My own view is, the claim that an intelligent and purpose oriented cause, leads to an infinite regress of who caused this cause, and therefore a logical fallacy.

Many upanishads are of the Q/A form, and that is good. However, the claim that all the As of the Upanishads are inerrant is untenable.

tks, to say I will believe when you prove it, is not a belief system, it is nothing but healthy skepticism.

"Ok going on your lines of thought that you BELIEVE that Jesus and Mohammed existed...the key word is BELIEVE.

So if you believe that they existed..I also BELIEVE everyone else EXISTED."

Hi Renuka:

Fine... no problem!

I understood you well...

Please keep that letter of recommendation for a CM in TN; I will get it when I visit Malaysia shortly! I will treasure it for the rest of my life in this planet!

Lol.

Y

Dear tks, once again I start with the disclaimer that what I am about to say is nothing more than just a different POV, nothing personal.

You are assuming that my POV preceded my understanding of Chapter 9. Au contraire! It is my understanding of Chapter 9 of BG that inevitably fashioned my POV.

My indictment is not on the entirety of BG, only those verses that underscore birth-based Varna system. Srimat BG does have many thoughtful reflections, but it also contains superstitious Bhakti stuff, and, unfortunately, a small sprinkling of odious Varna stuff.

What BG teaches about Varna starts from Chapter 1 verse 41 - 43, where Arjuna clearly asserts a connection between chastity of women and Varna. The fact that Lord Sri Krishna goes to lot of trouble to relieve Arjuna of many of his doubts, but not what he states in these verses must be kept in mind when we come to Chapter 9 and to Chapter 18. When taken in total, I think I am on firm grounds when I say BG teaches some really offensive stuff. Please tell me why I am wrong about this.

Now, your assertion that the true purport can be ascertained only from a qualified Acharya is indefensible. This amounts to conceding to orthodoxy even before we begin.

tks, I value my internal honesty more than sticking to my own opinion a la உடும்புப் பிடி. To be wedded to a particular opinion is to be closed-minded. I promise you, with all the earnestness that I can possibly command, I am ready to be persuaded.

On the other hand, the way you deal with opinions with which you disagree, I get a feeling you have little tolerance for POV that do not align with your own. Contrary to your aversion for opposing POV, the great Brahminical Acharyas of yore never hesitated to argue with those who did not agree with them, They never demanded that their opponents must first accept the authority of orthodox Acharyas they themselves approve.

My dwesha is strictly about the idea of Brahminism and what it stands for. I don't agree that Brahmin identity is nothing more than a cultural identity. No practicing Brahmin will accept someone who is willing to adopt this cultural identity in all its nuances, unless both his/her parents are Brahmins as well. It is this birth prerequisite that makes it more than mere cultural identity.

BTW, I am of the firm belief that what is good for Brahmins is to shun their superficial Brahmin identity and embrace their human identity, just as much as the Chettiar must abandon their Chettiyar identity and embrace human identity, repeated for each dominant caste. The reason I am singling out dominant caste is they wield the power that can be wielded this way or not.

To me, Mr. R. is nothing more than a parable of sorts. Mr. R is nothing more, or less, than all the young Brahmin kids who crossed the uncrossable ocean, seeking that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, had kids, grew nostalgic and a little guilty, wanted the kids to be what they were not and what they could never be.

Most, like me, realized the hypocrisy and allowed the kids to love us, and there were few Mr. Rs, who unfortunately deprived themselves of bliss, and worse, robbed their own kids of some of it for no fault of their own -- after all they didn't ask be born and brought up in this western culture, did they?

Cheers!

Sri Nara-ji -

I never used the word Orthodoxy.

I find study of BG or Upanishad to be as complex as or more complex than learning any Physics or engineering or management/leadership topics. My experience is that it requires a fair amount of infrastructure attained by studying with a qualified teacher. Such a teacher is able to provide the context which is derived from learning many areas (from their teacher). Since this is not preaching it requires the same dedication and effort as studying any other subject.

If someone wants to work say on a project like Mars Project by NASA they would want that your background is shaped from fine institutions of excellent reputation. A pre-requisite might be completion of an advanced training program that is accredited and recognized for engineering and research excellence.

I was saying that serious studies of our scriptures require the same rigor. I was not trying to present my POV. If that is the case it is easy to debate with your POV. I am trying to mention about a text that has been researched and analyzed over thousand years and it presents information that you have mis-interpreted. Since it is BG point of view it is up to you to be satisfied with your understanding and interpretation or research it more. Why should you be persuaded to see it differently? It is about learning a truth and only you can decide if you have reached that level of understanding. You can only take my statements to perhaps to do a revisit of the text under a proper teacher. Or not do anything which is the most likely result.

It took me many years to begin to appreciate the profundity of the teachings and I am still learning. Due to my background I started not wanting to believe anything. I know I was not an easy student and has been and still a struggle to begin to put together a picture that is fully reconciled. It is work in progress but I am convinced that it is one of the most well thought out text.

Please do not take this personal but I have no other way to express why I am refusing to engage in spite of your statement that you are completely open. I am highly impressed by your command of many different sources of references and how you use them in your posts. But your posts and questions come across to me to be lacking 'funda-knowledge' a term we used to use at IIT back when I was a student many years ago. I am sure you disagree but that is my sense. Also often your responses (not just to me) come across as not absorbing what was said to you (even if you dont agree with the point). This means I feel totally unqualified to convince you on any point. I have no reason to defend the scriptures such as BG to anyone.

I understand your point that your POV came about by studying BG verses of Chapter 9 you mentioned. What I said was that it is an incorrect understanding and that correct understanding requires learning with a proper Guru. I know you find that statement unacceptable.

Engaging with anyone with opposing point of view is actually fine. But I would demand prerequisites.

For example I would ask a few basic questions:

- I say Vedanta is not Philosophy and if you study with that in mind you will never get it. Do you agree? If it is not a Philosophy what is it?
- Why is Pramana not a faith?
- Is BG a Pramana?
- What does it mean to say Dharma is a Purushartha? What Dharma is being talked about? Why should this be an explicit pursuit?

I am not asking you to answer but I wanted to tell you that proper debate would need a few agreements on the basics. I don’t think we have those basics squared away.

I am curious. If you are satisfied with your POV about BG verses why even bother to debate?

Finally I got this defintion of Adhikara from this site:

adhikara -

I reproduce it here to make my point regarding need for qualification for one to be a teacher and a student.

adhikara (Sanskrit: ) literally means "authority and ownership." — being spiritually competent for spiritual study; the ability or authorization to do; rule; jurisdiction; privilege, ownership; property.

A person in an advanced chemistry class, for example, has taken previous chemistry courses and so has the adhikara to be in the advanced class. He is qualified to be in the advanced class. Someone who has not taken chemistry has no adhikara to be in a graduate class. We could translate adhikara as "qualification," which is implied, but more than qualification, the term suggests ownership. This means, in the case of chemistry, that the person at the advanced level has the right to interpret, apply and teach chemistry. He is an "owner" of that body of knowledge and consequently has a right to that knowledge. A person in an elementary class of chemistry has no adhikara for the body of advanced chemical knowledge. Such a person has no right to teach and apply the knowledge of chemistry. The kinds of information and experiments a beginner will receive will be different from the activities of the advanced graduate. Their adhikaras are different and therefore their activities and rights are different. This is what is meant by the word adhikara.

Life is a great evolution taking place over many lifetimes, even through many species of life! We can say the world is a school and each lifetime is a classroom. Some of us are in elementary grades, others are in middle grades, and some are in advanced grades. And just like students of chemistry, every person has a particular adhikara over a certain level of spiritual development. Students in elementary grades see the world in a certain way and must be taught in a certain way. Students at an advanced level similarly need to be approached in an appropriate way. The different adhikaras have different perceptions and spiritual rights. The idea of adhikara and spiritual evolution spanning many lifetimes is a distinct feature of Hinduism and becomes a powerful tool in understanding spirituality and how to apply our accumulated religious traditions.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back