• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Are We Really Concerned About Our Community?????Let us do a Retrospective Analysis

rameshkrishnn

Dear All
Good Morning...
This Question comes to my very often...Don't know How many of you have the same experience.
And If we say Yes... then we cheat ourselves.. If we Say No.. we cheat our Community..
We are hanging in between..
I don't see an absolute Unity among us.. We Just react to the situation and vanish from there scene or forget everything till the next incident comes.
But No concrete steps taken to strengthen our community.
Just helping for education, Medical and Marriage is not going to change the way our community is look at..These are all just a momentary solutions..
We might be a minority...But with unity we can transform our community.
We need to go back to the period where we actually left everything to give a better future to the Next Gen...
Our Culture, Our System, Our Way of Life...Most of us are totally away from it... and caught in the Vicious Cycle..Even if we try to break or come out of it.. we fail and of course its next to impossible.
But we can try again and again and should start some where...
But we can change the future of the Next Gen..
The success of other Communities are because of our failure...
We can Change this...But only when we go back to the period where we left and start from there..
We can Talk... Talk and Talk...
But I hope to get a concrete action Plan for the future...
I'm not a rebellion.. but a warrior Brahmin..Fight for the right..
I'm hoping for a constructive conversation and a first step towards it..
Jai Shri Ram...

Dear All
Good Morning...
This Question comes to my very often...Don't know How many of you have the same experience.
And If we say Yes... then we cheat ourselves.. If we Say No.. we cheat our Community..
I don't see an absolute Unity among us.. We Just react to the situation and vanish from there scene or forget everything till the next incident comes.
Just helping for education, Medical and Marriage is not going to change the way our community is look at..These are all just a momentary solutions..
We need to go back to the period where we actually left everything to give a better future to the Next Gen...
Our Culture, Our System, Our Way of Life...Most of us are totally away from it... and caught in the Vicious Cycle..Even if we try to break or come out of it.. we fail and of course its next to impossible.
We can Change this...But only when we go back to the period where we left and start from there..
Jai Shri Ram...

Who or What is the community? Please define.
To me, Humanity is the community. I strive to help Humanity.
I support my local business. I support my local Temple.
One of my close family Friend happens to TB.

I'm Talking about Brahmin Community and this Forum is for Us.
I agree with you on the Humanity. Of Course we all have it and should have it.
Helping is just one aspect of what I was talking about. Its not helping alone.
We are loosing our values, our responsibilities, our culture....In search of nothing.
How to retrieve it...
This what i mean on the whole

Dear All
Good Morning...
Jai Shri Ram...

Welcome to the world of humans.
Its not peculiar to any community.

Firstly as humans we have been using the word warrior too much.
From Covid Warrior to anything else.
These days its all about Fight! Fight! Fight!
Everything is about empowerment and challenge.

This is where we humans make a grave mistake.

Words like Fight, Warrior, Empowerment, Challenge function at the level of emotions.
Emotions by passes the intellect but it uses up substrates and it is exhausting and after any initial war cry everything dies down like how the fizz of a carbonated drink goes off on opening the bottle.

When we humans function at the level of the intellect this is where problems are solved.
Any endeavor should first be planned by keeping emotions under check.

If we read the Geeta we would know that Lord Krishna never stirred up the emotions of Arjuna to make him a all reactive warrior.
Lord Krishna analysed the situation and made sure Arjuna was functioning at the level of the intellect in order to execute his enemies.

A real warrior isn't an emotional mess.
A warrior is always focused in the NOW and not lament and cry and talk about big dreams yet do nothing but get dejected.
This is the state which Lord Krishna called Anarya(the state of being an emotional mess)

So if we as humans want to embark anything firstly get a hold of our emotions, plan small scale in the NOW.
Not to worry too much of the outcome becos if we are 24/7 in the NOW any problem is rectified right away hence it would only improve.

Also finally be realistic.
What are your criteria for success?
Is it just the material scale?
If its only material we very well know Covid 19 could have even robbed away our lives.

So what change are you looking for?
Ask yourself and firstly make that change within you..its the Man in the Mirror after all that can make the change.
Most important we humans have to accept that we are never the real planner.
Covid 19 put all plans on hold.
May be its a reminder to us that we humans are just proxies and nothing more.
So submit to the Higher Power and plan with His will and not your will.

God willing you would see some light for your endeavor.

Last edited:
I'm Talking about Brahmin Community and this Forum is for Us.
I agree with you on the Humanity. Of Course we all have it and should have it.
Helping is just one aspect of what I was talking about. Its not helping alone.
We are loosing our values, our responsibilities, our culture....In search of nothing.
How to retrieve it...
This what i mean on the whole

I am sorry to disappoint you, Please read about this site.
This site is open to all. We have members who are non-Hindus, non-Brahmins, non-Indians, and everything else in this site. The owner of the site welcomes all. So this forum is for humans, not "Us".

I probably have more in common with my martian neighbor than an Assamese Brahmin. (just a joke).

Yes, I too have a nostalgic memory of days gone by, oh we were poor but happy. Would I want to go back to that life? No.
I never lived in an agraharam, nor would I want to live in one.

Welcome to the world of humans.
Its not peculiar to any community.

Firstly as humans we have been using the word warrior too much.
From Covid Warrior to anything else.
These days its all about Fight! Fight! Fight!
Everything is about empowerment and challenge.

This is where we humans make a grave mistake.

Words like Fight, Warrior, Empowerment, Challenge function at the level of emotions.
Emotions by passes the intellect but it uses up substrates and it is exhausting and after any initial war cry everything dies down like how the fizz of a carbonated drink goes off on opening the bottle.

When we humans function at the level of the intellect this is where problems are solved.
Any endeavor should first be planned by keeping emotions under check.

If we read the Geeta we would know that Lord Krishna never stirred up the emotions of Arjuna to make him a all reactive warrior.
Lord Krishna analysed the situation and made sure Arjuna was functioning at the level of the intellect in order to execute his enemies.

A real warrior isn't an emotional mess.
A warrior is always focused in the NOW and not lament and cry and talk about big dreams yet do nothing but get dejected.
This is the state which Lord Krishna called Anarya(the state of being an emotional mess)

So if we as humans want to embark anything firstly get a hold of our emotions, plan small scale in the NOW.
Not to worry too much of the outcome becos if we are 24/7 in the NOW any problem is rectified right away hence it would only improve.

Also finally be realistic.
What are your criteria for success?
Is it just the material scale?
If its only material we very well know Covid 19 could have even robbed away our lives.

So what change are you looking for?
Ask yourself and firstly make that change within you..its the Man in the Mirror after all that can make the change.
Most important we humans have to accept that we are never the real planner.
Covid 19 put all plans on hold.
May be its a reminder to us that we humans are just proxies and nothing more.
So submit to the Higher Power and plan with His will and not your will.

God willing you would see some light for your endeavor.

Thanks for your reply.
Is talking about our own community is In-Human?
Common Guys..
Just I talk about Brahmin Community it dosent mean that I dont have humanity. I know
Where I have to be Human and where I have to be Brahmin and support my community.
There is a huge difference on your understanding of my message..
I just asked how to make our brahmin Community strong and bring back the Old Glory.
Seems no one is ready to do that.. rather give these kinds of explanations.
This is what I said in my message.... we done have unity..
We are carried away by the social media messages.
Nothing more to explain....

Only God can save our Community........??????????/

Thanks for your reply.
Is talking about our own community is In-Human?
Common Guys..
Just I talk about Brahmin Community it dosent mean that I dont have humanity. I know
Where I have to be Human and where I have to be Brahmin and support my community.
There is a huge difference on your understanding of my message..
I just asked how to make our brahmin Community strong and bring back the Old Glory.
Seems no one is ready to do that.. rather give these kinds of explanations.
This is what I said in my message.... we done have unity..
We are carried away by the social media messages.
Nothing more to explain....

Only God can save our Community........??????????/

I think you got me wrong.
I meant all humanity feels the same, that they want to empower or uplift their community but finally nothing can really be done becos a change needs to start at an individual level.

May be you can first start by stating your plans so everyone can give you a feedback.

Another word most Hindus use is "bring back the old glory"

Now, this is the root cause of the whole problem.

Why live in the past?
Glory too is not to be sought.
Glory is just the projection of our own mind to make itself feel good and totally feel we are the doer.

In Hinduism..Glory or fame isnt something to be sought rather one should uplift himself by his effort sans seeking to glorify his efforts and attribute every undertaking to God.

That is how one can effectively live in the NOW and focus on the NOW.
If one has already set goals to be Glorious..one wont focus on the process of getting things right.
Nothing would hit the target.

Just like how if we want to shoot a target we should only focus on the target and nothing else.
Remember the story in Mahabharat where Arjuna was the only one who saw the target but the other Pandavas said they saw the tree, the leaves and the target?

Likewise..leave glory out of the equation, leave the past out of the equation..these are distractions and would generate unwanted anxiety and expectations..just focus on the NOW of what you desire to do for your community.

That's what I was trying to convey as to be less emotional.
When we seek glory even of a glorious past we go into emotional mode.
The intellect mode does not allow the past or future to cloud its judgement becos technically the past or future does not exists and we only had a screen play of infinite NOWs.

So may be you list out what you wish to repair for your community.
It would be easier if there is a plan in the NOW.

This is what I mean

Of course I started in my Life...

There is a Proverb in Tamil..

" THANIMARAM THOPPAAGAATHU"

Hoping of getting some constructive Discussion.....

Naama Seyyavendiya ethaiyum Seyyalai nnu Purinjikka mudiyatha alavukku, naama ellarum maarittom...

This is what I mean

Of course I started in my Life...

There is a Proverb in Tamil..

" THANIMARAM THOPPAAGAATHU"

Hoping of getting some constructive Discussion.....

Naama Seyyavendiya ethaiyum Seyyalai nnu Purinjikka mudiyatha alavukku, naama ellarum maarittom...

Why go back?
Just start in the NOW.

Times have changed and repair has to be in accordance with the NOW.
No one can apply values of the past in the present.

In the past women seldom or never worked outside of home..now women work outside of home.

Technology too has changed.

So no one can reset the clock to the past.

Also depends on mindset of an individual.
Not everyone these days wants to identify too much with outward cultural conditioning and rites and rituals.

These days many individuals prefer paths that pave way for application of vedanta in day to day life and not really the Karma khanda part of the Vedas as in rites and traditions.

So not many might want to be bound by outward identity though they might retain the core values.

Firstly kindly define what you expect a Tamil Brahmin to be like..then may be others in Forum might able to give input( i dont belong to the Tamil Brahmin community hence my answers are always general spiritual views rather than strong cultural views)

Btw success is a universal phenomenon..no nation can be successful if some communities excel and the others fail.

All our mantras are for universal well being.

We cannot turn the clock back to regain the "glory" of our "community". Neither we can stop the change, which is the order of nature. We have to accept the change and proceed further. Contentment and service to humanity will bring inner happiness. These two aspects our present generation has forgotten.

If we desire so, we can send our children to Veda Padasalas to study Vedic knowledge. But how many of us will be ready to do so?

Let us discard and break all the artificial barriers we have put around us in the name of community, caste, religion, language etc and share the gifts of nature with all living beings.
Wishing you well,
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

I find that those engaged in service of general public like Doctors tend to think of service to humanity.
Changes in thinking of community as such
Can be brought about only if the majority feels it would be good for them or atleast they feel it is not harmful .
Communities have a way of taking care of themselves without a messiah coming to their rescue .
My best wishes to our young friend Ramesh who is itching to serve people belonging to a specific community .

hi

i think....we can see as COMMUNITY OF AVANI AVITTAM DAY.....now this corona times....this activity is also

more virtual now a days....lol

We cannot turn the clock back to regain the "glory" of our "community". Neither we can stop the change, which is the order of nature. We have to accept the change and proceed further. Contentment and service to humanity will bring inner happiness. These two aspects our present generation has forgotten.

If we desire so, we can send our children to Veda Padasalas to study Vedic knowledge. But how many of us will be ready to do so?

Let us discard and break all the artificial barriers we have put around us in the name of community, caste, religion, language etc and share the gifts of nature with all living beings.
Wishing you well,
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
Mr. Brahmanyan, Good to see you back.
Thoughtful and balanced analysis and solution.

Like Mr. Brahmanyan says, we need to accept the changes and make most of the situation.

This song expresses it best.

Bobby McFerrin Lyrics

"Don't Worry, Be Happy"

Here's a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry, be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy
Don't worry, be happy now

Ooh, ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh oo-ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh
(Don't worry)
Ooh oo-ooh ooh ooh oo-ooh
(Be happy)
Ooh oo-ooh oo-ooh
(Don't worry, be happy)
(Don't worry)
(Be happy)
Ooh oo-ooh oo-ooh
(Don't worry, be happy)

Ain't got no place to lay your head
Somebody came and took your bed
Don't worry, be happy
The landlord say your rent is late
He may have to litigate
Don't worry, be happy
(Look at me I'm happy)

(Don't worry)
(Be Happy)
Ooh oo-ooh oo-ooh
Here I give you my phone number
When you worry call me, I make you happy
(Don't worry)
(Be happy)
Ooh oo-ooh oo-ooh

Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style
Ain't got no gal to make you smile
But don't worry, be happy
'Cause when you worry your face will frown
And that will bring everybody down
So don't worry, be happy
Don't worry, be happy now

(Don't worry)
(Be happy)
Ooh oo-ooh oo-ooh
Don't worry, be happy
(Don't worry)
(Be happy)
Ooh oo-ooh oo-ooh
Don't worry, be happy

Now there, is this song I wrote
I hope you learned it note for note
Like good little children
Don't worry, be happy
Listen to what I say
In your life expect some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy, be happy now

(Don't worry)
(Be happy)
Ooh oo-ooh oo-ooh
Don't worry, be happy
(Don't worry)
(Be happy)
Ooh oo-ooh oo-ooh
Don't worry, be happy

(Don't worry)
(Don't worry, don't worry, don't do it, be happy)
Ooh oo-ooh oo-ooh
(Put a smile on your face, don't bring everybody down like this)
(Don't worry)
(It will soon pass, whatever it is)
Ooh oo-ooh oo-ooh
Don't worry, be happy
Ooh oo-ooh oo-ooh
I'm not worried, I'm happy

Maybe I do not see what others are seeing. My parents left TN (Or Madras) in the1905. My father gave up all his land in the village to his brothers. So we used to visit TN but never got into life there.

My wife's family moved back to Rajasthan from Burma.

We do-follow some TB culture, TB cooking, TB festivals, Tamil language. But nothing more. Now we live in the USA. So I suppose I do not have the same attachments others have, particularly those who never left TN (mentally), even if they live in Dubai, Delhi, or Dallas.

Jai Shri Ram...

Just an observation.
You yourself promoting a Non-Brahmin who killed a Brahmin.
Should we identify with a Brahmin behaving badly or a Non-Brahmin?

I am not anti-God, or DMK sympathizer.
To me, I support Ram and not Ravan, without caste identity.

Thanks to all your comments.
I can see a very strong socio-economic factor...and justifications...
I wont say its wrong.. by all means its correct.
I never said we have to go back 400 centuries back...BUT
wanted to look back what we were doing then, and start doing what we can do immediately.
If people get offended for me being a pro-brahmin person, I am sorry..
Yadhava Kulam eppadi thannai thaane azhiththukkondatho.. athe nilaiyil thaan indraiya Bhramin samoogamum irukkirathu.
I have already started personally....
Just though to see some like minded people, so that make it a movement..
but with this kind of conversations and opinions... feel its not going to be fruitful...
in Fact at some point of time there will be a verbal-war..
Until we stop Justifying our short-falls and blame others... nothing can be changed.
Thanks All

wanted to look back what we were doing then, and start doing what we can do immediately.
Yadhava Kulam eppadi thannai thaane azhiththukkondatho.. athe nilaiyil thaan indraiya Bhramin samoogamum irukkirathu.
but with this kind of conversations and opinions... feel its not going to be fruitful...
Until we stop Justifying our short-falls and blame others... nothing can be changed.
Thanks All

Rameshkrishnanji,

You seem frustrated. Your point is worth considering. In India caste politics, numbers do play a part.
It may not be important to all. Others have their priorities, and passion elsewhere.
When your point is not prevailing it can be due to two problems.
1. The audience can not understand the issue.
2. The problem is not explained well.

So if are passionate about an issue don't just give up, make a case for it. Frame the problem properly and may suggest the parameters.

For instance, if you said that this community you are talking about is specific to a village in TN.
Then To me, it is not something I can do, so I will refrain from making observations based on worldwide view.
I wish you well.

Thanks All
Sir...why are you making a comparison with the Yadu clan and sounding as if one is fore seeing destruction.
I find this surprising when you want to do something for your community but at the same time sounding so much like uttering a " curse"

Btw you havent really listed your plan of action.

#1 ,I agree ,Rameshkrishnn.
Unity in the community is the stumbling block for making it go forward'I can see communities like
Jains,Chettiars they are having some some community focus and have unity and forge ahead on
common grounds, Your purpose is perhaps is a similar one.
with unity much can be achieved than without it.I agree.But a movement for this! How to go about it?
As a loner or few individuals ,how far you can pull the Ther.?

Unity in the community is the stumbling block for making it go forward'I can see communities like
Jains,Chettiars they are having some some community focus and have unity and forge ahead on
with unity much can be achieved than without it.I agree.But a movement for this! How to go about it?
Thanks for your reply.
I dont know how many members are there in this group
I see atlease 500 people read this message
only 2 or 3 react and reply..
Moreover, All are concerned about the Socio-Economic Factor than a Community Value.
No one wants to even come forward and discuss.
If the same message was flashed in a christian or Islamic community forum.. every other member would have actively participated.
People always think, If i'm in India I can do this..In fact once upon a time, when I was live abroad, I was also thinking the same way.
After I come back to India, I realized I was wrong.
People are not making an effort just because they are afraid of any social anger..
Or
They just want to carry on with their life..
No one realizes that we have lost so much.
waking up early is the first thing... Not there with 80% of the Brahmins
Nithya Karma-90% don't follow (Kaanamal/Konamal/Kandu)
Pooja-Homan etc., at least once a month... 80% don't follow
Self-learning Veda- Teaching Veda to their Kids.. Make them recite in the temples and functions-60% dont follow..
aachaaram-anushtanam-90% don't follow
Echchal, Theettu.. i would say 90% don't follow
Prayatchchiththam- 95% don't follow
Sradham/Tharpppanam-50% of the people don't follow
Visiting Temple with kids/Brothers/Sisters- 95% don't follow
Reading the scriptures and explain to next Generation- 95% don't follow.
And All will say either they do it or they don't have time or they don't believe in it.
The Whole society was intact-when Brahmin Community was performing their duties properly.....
Because we were teaching the other sections in the society what is right and what is wrong..
As soon as we shy away from our responsibilities... others started teaching the wrong this in the society.
"THALAI SARIAY IRUNDHA THAANE VAAL SARIYA IRUKKUM"
Naama thaan " THALAI"..
I didn't tell anything with is not possible..
Already I have started in my family..
telling this to my nears and dears..
But only when this becomes a community movement... we can see a change.. not only in our own community.. but also in the society.
Thanks
K Ramesh

Each community is different.
The Jains and Chettiars are very Rajas in dealings that involve money.
Money is their driving factor.

For a Brahmin mostly knowledge is the driving force and motive.

We have to understand that Rajas has a strong force and many would join hands if money is the motive.

Among Brahmins the motivating factor is still a Sattva one.

Sattva is an individual path becos the ultimate state of Moksha is a personal journey.

So may be you would find less " unity" among Brahmins not becos they are not united but becos the Brahmin mindset is an individualistic one.

Its only the individualistic mind that is actually the most focussed one but usually not too focussed on material gain.

All these factors should be considered before making a " revolution".
Each person should be allowed to remain his true nature but at the same time improve the community without changing the core values.
Since knowledge is always the driving force of a Brahmin..work on that field.

The field of knowledge is a booming one.
So that should be given most importance.

I totally agree with the author. But it is not that easy to go back and start from where we left

So to start again we need not go to the typical period where we left but atleast we may start practice the way our ancestors in two to three decades lived.

To quote few

Education. Job outside but inside the house practising the routines of andhi sandhi abhivadhaye and particularly taking food only at home and that too sadhvika food.

For this I have seen in Vaishnava there is a practice of baraniyamsam even now and those who take have this strictly follow the home food and even water is prohibited outside.

Also I feel the tradition followed in nowadays marriages are just to show cause that we do follow our tradition which may be changed. Either it should be totally traditional or simply leave all the tradition and do it modern style and not to mix.

If these are slowly started practicing it by all we may slowly turn back to our traditional values and culture.

But how far it is attained gok. Also we have travelled very far as the community totally mixed with inter caste or inter religion.

hi

learn from parsi community......numerical in numbers.....still survive...nearly extention..still minority...never

ask reservations.....money is the main factor...mainly parsis are businessmen/rich....

Latest ads

Back