• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Age of punool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the worship is done in Tamil in Thirupathi. The system of worship at Thirupathi is supposed to be done according to the rules laid down by Ramanujacharya. During Subrabhatam Mangalasasanam in Tamil is recited. I have attended all the Sevas sitting in the Garbagraha. My Telugu friend who is from Tirupathi and who has been coming to the temple from childhood was surprised when I pointed this out to him.

http://balaji.sudarshana.org/tirupati-sevas-pujas.htm

The Tamil inscriptions in Thirupathi is because of the long association of the Tamil Kings and the SriVaishnavas with the temple.
The Telugu inscriptions in Srirangam is because of the long rule of Telugu kings in Tamil Nadu.

There is a temple called Simhachalam near Vizhakapatnam. Yoga Narasimha temple. The murti is covered with chandan during the entire year. The legend is that it is because of the power of the deity. It is removed only on one day in year. It is on top of a hill.

The reason I am quoting this is that all the inscriptions in that temple are in Oriya. Most of the pilgrims are also from Orissa. Now recently the Devastanam has covered all the inscriptions.

Thirupathi devastanam has not allowed any research scholar to go through all the inscriptions because it may prove the official history as wrong.
Ramanujacharya's taking over the Thirupathi temple was one of the foundations of SriVaishnavism. It is said that it was a Devi temple earlier. Only selected inscriptions have been read. The same case with Simhachalam and many other temples in India. The Padmanabhaswamy temple in Trivandrum was constructed by a Nayak King from Madurai when it was part of Pandya Nadu. But you will not find this in the official history. The present managements/state administration does not want you to know the history.

Then who wants to know the real history in India?

wowwww!!!!!!!!! Sri-N-ji....am awestruck......

please can you post more on such temples...on their true history...its soooo interesting...

yes am aware of the prayers in tamil in tirumala....was just recounting out a guide's observation...

The problem with our temples is that the devotee does not want to know the history of the temple. He/She does not want to know about who has constructed it, when it was constructed and so on. We have Sthala Puranas which is a figment of wild imagination. But what is surprising/shocking is that Hindus believe in all that poppycock stories. I do not know whether to laugh or cry at the guilliblity of the devout Hindus some of who may even have doctorates in other subjects.

To take a couple of examples. They tell you that Guru and Vayu were involved inthe evolution of the Guruvayur temple. People believe that. The fact is that even 50 yaers back Guruvayur was a small and not well known temple. The nearby Mammiyur Siva temple is a big temple which is historically known.

Some years back some people erected a temple on the outskirts of Chennai and claimed that this is the place where all the 18 Siddhas of Tamil Nadu came together.

The surprising fact is that this guilliblity is peculiar to South India especially Tamil Nadu. And Tamil Brahmins will believe any Sthala Purana. The only such Sthala Purana which is current in Eastern/North India is about Sakthi Peeths. This was originally written in a Purana composed in Eastern india. So no temple in Western or south India is mentioned. This shows the ignorance of the author of the Purana. BTW historians have been able to identify the date and the place of origin of many of the later Puranas.

Sri N-ji, am amazed at the stories we are able to churn out...birds speaking, man incarnating as a horse, and what not.....what imaginations we have..am dumbstruck at one group that came out not only with a cock and bull story about a man springing out of fire - but for good measure, in one account they even had a donkey jumping out of fire..God bless Indians.

memories dont die like people do

Sri N-ji, am amazed at the stories we are able to churn out...birds speaking, man incarnating as a horse, and what not.....what imaginations we have..am dumbstruck at one group that came out not only with a cock and bull story about a man springing out of fire - but for good measure, in one account they even had a donkey jumping out of fire..God bless Indians.

Shri H H

When i was a young boy,i remember telling my dad,that Shri Hanuman was born between the sperm of the man and that of a egg of monkey.My father flew into such a rage,for my impertinence,and only when my mother butted in,did my father calm down.My father was never an orthodox brahmin,but that day i knew adults do all these acting outside one way and inside thay are different.

But Purans depict entirely different about Shri Hanuman,and to do prayachittam for my utterances,i went and got a picture blessed by Mahaswamigal of Shri Hanuman,and for 48 days ie one mandala,i did pooja.The day i completed my mandala,both my older sisters marriages were fixed simultaneously,and that too under my watch,when my dad got transferred to Hyderabad.

My point,Shri Hanuman,is so powerful and one with lots of Shraddha & Saburi prays to him,Shri Hanuman miracles happen.Even today,when i think about it,especially in my adverse Shanieswaran orbit,i feel so relieved.

sb

:)

time to time

Talking about temples did you know that Kamakshi Amman temple in Kanchipuram was a Jain temple. A lot of research has been done and the inscriptions in the temple has been deciphered.

See this article which will debunk most of the common perceptions about this temple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamakshi_Amman_Temple

Shri Nacchinarkiniyan

I remember Mahaswamigal telling my father to visit his poorvigam taluka ..areas..regions...and how the Jains have taken over things which originally belonged to Tamil Brahmins.Arooran Sugars owner Shri Mahalingam also said the same,and said,your land is somewhere out there,but now its all merged into one big huge acreage.If you have documents to show me where your land is,i will gladly let you take it or give you a fair price prevailing market rate.I hear his son Manickam afellow Boat Club rower is doing an awesome job of managing his inherited conglomerate.

Anyway,my point is,Bharatham was/is a melting pot culture,despite having got looted beyond any reasonable doubt,the civilisation grows with a new nomenclature and country called as India today.

Every temple,Mosque,Church...of ancient era will have a admixture of various religions,depending upon who conqured when and who is in power today.Every one and everything can be manipulated to suit,vested interests of the time.But the truth is still out there!!

sb

P.S.Wikipedia is an open source,anybody can edit,anytime,anyplace.So,i guess now it appears like Jain,tomorrow it may be Buddhist and later on it was all the Sanathana Dharma of the Advaitha school of doctrine...etc :)

Last edited:
Wikipedia is not that bad. We do not allow that kind of edits. Sources have to be quoted. Please click on the references and see. This article has stood uncontested for the last 2 years.

Thirunavukkarasar or Appar was persecuted by the Jains. There was struggle between Jains and Shaivas at that time. Smartas were non existent at that time.

Clickon the link Discussions on the top of the Wiki page. You will see the discussions. You check out the article on Iyers. There was so much fight. People fight over even a single word. It is a jungle. We have a number of Tamil Brahmins. Nothing goes unchallenged. Sometimes you wonder whether it is worth it.

Last edited:
churn

Wikipedia is not that bad. We do not allow that kind of edits. Sources have to be quoted. Please click on the references and see. This article has stood uncontested for the last 2 years.

Thirunavukkarasar or Appar was persecuted by the Jains. There was struggle between Jains and Shaivas at that time. Smartas were non existent at that time.

Clickon the link Discussions on the top of the Wiki page. You will see the discussions. You check out the article on Iyers. There was so much fight. People fight over even a single word. It is a jungle. We have a number of Tamil Brahmins. Nothing goes unchallenged. Sometimes you wonder whether it is worth it.

Things should be churned.Debates should be encouraged.Different view points should be allowed.In a nutshell,everything is fine as all are needed.Each one of us are unique.By birth,we had no choice because of society.But some desired to change society ways and means.A leader is born.A Puthu Mugam is born.So be it.

Wikipedia has not attained scholarship testament.But for now,i guess you are right.

sb

You want to be shocked? Then come to the Tripura Sundari temple in Agartala, Tripura. The state is named after her. They sacrifice goats and buffaloes here. I am giving a link to an internet article. It is obviously written by a South Indian who has never heard of Tantra. Has never heard of Shodasi Vidya or the Shodasakshari (16 lettered) Mantra. He/She has never heard of the Dasa Maha Vidyas. He/She calls Shodasi a local name and Tripura Sundari a South Indian Goddess. But then that is what most of the South Indians think. There is also a Bhuvaneswari temple here.

I am giving this link because it is the only one mentioning the sacrifices. This is a govt. run temple where the collector was ordered to make 6 goats and 1 buffalo for sacrifice every day. I do not know whether the order is still in force.

You want to know Hinduism. Know India first. Such tall claims like Lalita Tripurasundari is a south Indian Goddess does not make any sense. Sri Ramakrishna is reported to have had a vision of Maa Lalita Tripurasundari. But then he was a Kali Bhaktha. MAA is the same by whatever name you call her.

Like we say Hariyum Sivanum Onnu, Ariyadhavar vayil mannu.

http://www.indiainfoweb.com/tripura/pilgrimage/

Sacrifice

Sacrifices were/are of various nature.Even human sacrifices were conducted by our ancients all over the world.To be Bharatham specific,using human sacrifice as a tool,one religion even proselytises,with an icon????Guess who???

Ignorance is bliss,so said the wise ones.

sb

Last edited:
>>Tripura Sundari<<

In lighter vein,i got reminded of Michael Madana Kamaraj tamil flick with Kamalahasan....wherein as Palakad Brahmin,he fondly addesses his lover/wife as Thiruppu Thiruppu aka turn around turn around ....that scene is so hilariously..even though it flashed in mind long time...mah lazy bone took some to write...wish i can see that movie online for free.. any body know any link...do post...

>>Tripura Sundari<<

In lighter vein,i got reminded of Michael Madana Kamaraj tamil flick with Kamalahasan....wherein as Palakad Brahmin,he fondly addesses his lover/wife as Thiruppu Thiruppu aka turn around turn around ....that scene is so hilariously..even though it flashed in mind long time...mah lazy bone took some to write...wish i can see that movie online for free.. any body know any link...do post...

Look up Tamilpeek.com

http://tamilpeek.com/videos.php?id=704&cat=30

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back