• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A very Unusual Hindu wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

I attended a wedding last Saturday. The Muhurtam time was 10:00 AM, smack in the middle of Rahu Kalam.
It was unusual wedding to say the least. It was a gay wedding performed by an Iyyangar Priest.
The bride family invited us. The wedding was attended by about 200 guests.
The bride boy’s parents are Hindu Kannadiga

The Groom was of Japanese decent but his mother is Jewish.

The marriage was Hindu ceremony as if it was a regular Marriage, including Kanya Danam, Saptapadi, Mangalsutra , Laja Homam etc. Then they threw in ring exchange, and breaking of Champagne glass.

The priest announced the Gothram for bride as Vishnu Gothram, and that for the Bride as Kashyap Gothram. It was a weird function. We friends were intrigued and did exchanged the cultural aspect of this wedding.

In the evening reception I cornered the priest (I know him well). I asked him about the Gothrams, his explanation was he just made it up. I did not have the heart to question him any further.

Prasad ji,

I dont get it...you wrote gay wedding...you mean same sex wedding?

Was it female and female wedding or male and male wedding.

Your post seems a bit unclear about this fact.

Prasad ji,

Dear Renu,

Please see these words: 'The bride boy's parents ......... ' in the OP. :spy:

You made me :lol: Prasad Sir!

BTW, what will the effect of Raghu for such a weird wedding!

Probably, Raghu would have :bolt: ed!!

I got an invitation for a wedding ( not gay but among prohibited relationships) informing periyorgallall nitchi akkapattu Kanchi Kamakoti Acharyavin anugrhathudan etc. Like a conventional wedding card

Accept unconventional realties with conventional mindsets

Dear Renu,

Please see these words: 'The bride boy's parents ......... ' in the OP. :spy:

So gay wedding I guess.

May the couple be happy and live happily for 100 autumns.(Sharada Shatam).

Good to know Iyengar priests are open minded..but just that part of making up the Gotra did not seem right in my opinion.

Why conduct a marriage with a lie?

I attended a wedding last Saturday. The Muhurtam time was 10:00 AM, smack in the middle of Rahu Kalam.
It was unusual wedding to say the least. It was a gay wedding performed by an Iyyangar Priest.
The bride family invited us. The wedding was attended by about 200 guests.
The bride boy’s parents are Hindu Kannadiga

The Groom was of Japanese decent but his mother is Jewish.

The marriage was Hindu ceremony as if it was a regular Marriage, including Kanya Danam, Saptapadi, Mangalsutra , Laja Homam etc. Then they threw in ring exchange, and breaking of Champagne glass.

The priest announced the Gothram for bride as Vishnu Gothram, and that for the Bride as Kashyap Gothram. It was a weird function. We friends were intrigued and did exchanged the cultural aspect of this wedding.

In the evening reception I cornered the priest (I know him well). I asked him about the Gothrams, his explanation was he just made it up. I did not have the heart to question him any further.

Still trying to come in terms with this post Prasad ji. I can imagine your position as guest there..What to say about the priest finding a Gothram in this... Seems Kali is almost at the doorstep!!

Dear Shri Ganesh,

Kali is not at the doorstep. It is well and truly in. It can't get worse.

Last edited:
Funny indeed! Why did the priest do what he did! Here in Gurgaon we have a smartha vadhyar who is famous for conducting marriages involving TB with other communities & races!! Now he has gone to the US!! The worst in Kali is happening!!

Last edited:
hi

if one boy is VISHNU GOTHRA.....other guy must be SHIVA GOTHRA.....atleast like these gay marriages...SHIVA AND VISHNU

ARE MINGLING....BECOZ BOTH ARE MALE GODS....real match for GAY weddings.....another aspect in US WEDDINGS...

generally many marriages are SUNDAY EVENINGS....BETWEEN 4.30 TO 5.30PM....after that cocktail party/dance...then dinner..

so RAHU KAALAM WEDDINGS MORE CONVENIENT......i attended many weddings like this....nobody bothered much abt rahu kaalam...

I have mixed opinions about this. Coming from a traditional mindset, the instinctive reaction to this would have been one of surprise and shock some years ago. But having shed it off (or in the process of doing so), I realize that there may be different wirings of the physio-psycho make up of human beings. And this realization makes me accept the choice of the couple in the OP.

I also feel that the more I move away from tradition and custom, the more free the mind becomes, the less stress it takes...

Funny indeed! Why did the priest do what he did! Here in Gurgaon we have a smartha vadhyar who is famous for conducting marriages involving TB with other communities & races!! Now he has gone to the US!! The worst in Kali is happening!!

Priests conduct weddings...that is their profession.

Priests everywhere conduct weddings for all communities.

His job is to conduct a wedding but not get personally involved beyond that.

So its not Kali Yuga effect.He is just being professional but a priest should not conduct a marriage by making up some gotra cos marriages homosexual or heterosexual should not start on false gotras.

I have mixed opinions about this. Coming from a traditional mindset, the instinctive reaction to this would have been one of surprise and shock some years ago. But having shed it off (or in the process of doing so), I realize that there may be different wirings of the physio-psycho make up of human beings. And this realization makes me accept the choice of the couple in the OP.

I also feel that the more I move away from tradition and custom, the more free the mind becomes, the less stress it takes...

Dear Auh,

Accepting all that is anti conservative is not being free. Being free is to be able to form the right views irrespective of what tradition or modern thinking says. Would you not agree?

Dear Renu,

See this line in a blog ''
Sanatha Dharma, Religion, Gotra, .........'' which says,

''Many people proclaim they are either Vishnu gothra or Siva gothra. They are

Vaishanvites or Saivites. Mostly Vaisya community is found telling this gothram.''
Since the priest was a Vaishnavite, he fixed the Gotra of that hybrid Japanese guy as Vishnu Gotra. :decision:

sowgariyaththukku sAsthram! :cool:

Crazy people exist everywhere on the globe. When tambrahms are advocating ONLY registered marriage for I C or I R wedding,

gay marriages are happening in the traditional style! BTW, how were the guys (rather gays??) dressed up, Prasad Sir?

Dear Auh,

Accepting all that is anti conservative is not being free. Being free is to be able to form the right views irrespective of what tradition or modern thinking says. Would you not agree?
You have taken an extreme position. I am not saying that all conservative things are bad. I am only saying that we need not be bound by them. The question of what is "right" is always debatable, as it would be different in differing viewpoints / worldviews. It would only be futile for us to evaluate the utility of our fingers based on length, isnt it? I use this to drive the point that there is no single paramater/yardstick to decide "right" and "wrong".

So in this context what is being free? Being free is being able to empathize, sympathize, and being able to take decisions (of whatever sort they may be) freely. To use the free will fully is being free.

You have taken an extreme position. I am not saying that all conservative things are bad. I am only saying that we need not be bound by them. The question of what is "right" is always debatable, as it would be different in differing viewpoints / worldviews. It would only be futile for us to evaluate the utility of our fingers based on length, isnt it? I use this to drive the point that there is no single paramater/yardstick to decide "right" and "wrong".

So in this context what is being free? Being free is being able to empathize, sympathize, and being able to take decisions (of whatever sort they may be) freely. To use the free will fully is being free.

Dear auh,

I made those remarks only based on you writings. I have never seen you take a pro conservative view. Let me add I do not subscribe to most of modern thinking because its agenda seems to be anti traditional.or not trying to promote free thinking

Dear auh,

I made those remarks only based on you writings. I have never seen you take a pro conservative view. Let me add I do not subscribe to most of modern thinking because its agenda seems to be anti traditional.or not trying to promote free thinking

Dear Sravna,

There is no modern view and there is no traditional view..there is only personal view.

After sometime of living in this world our mind evolves to state where we do not want to be defined by tradition..superstition.rules and regulations...this does not translate as being immoral or anti tradition or promoting chaos...its just wanting to go beyond the shackles known to us.

It takes a very mature stable mind to be able to handle freedom...a mind that only knows fear would want the easier way out of sticking to norms and not able to function as an independent unit becos he would seriously doubt his strength and capability.

Dear Sravna,

There is no modern view and there is no traditional view..there is only personal view.

After sometime of living in this world our mind evolves to state where we do not want to be defined by tradition..superstition.rules and regulations...this does not translate as being immoral or anti tradition or promoting chaos...its just wanting to go beyond the shackles known to us.

It takes a very mature stable mind to be able to handle freedom...a mind that only knows fear would want the easier way out of sticking to norms and not able to function as an independent unit becos he would seriously doubt his strength and capability.

Dear Renuka,

There is nothing wrong in something acting as a guidance for us. That guidance from tradition generally stood the test of time and so based on enduring principles. One may add to it or adapt it according to times but not wise to reject it and so traditional views definitely have a place in guiding one's thoughts.

Dear auh,

Dear Sravna, you are polarizing yourself into a bracket when you presume the agenda without consideration (imo). But then, you might have already considered.

Prasad ji,

I am sorry.
It was a boy-boy marriage.
When I said the bride (boy) I assumed it was clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back