• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A very Unusual Hindu wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sravna

You have taken an extreme position. I am not saying that all conservative things are bad. I am only saying that we need not be bound by them. The question of what is "right" is always debatable, as it would be different in differing viewpoints / worldviews. It would only be futile for us to evaluate the utility of our fingers based on length, isnt it? I use this to drive the point that there is no single paramater/yardstick to decide "right" and "wrong".

So in this context what is being free? Being free is being able to empathize, sympathize, and being able to take decisions (of whatever sort they may be) freely. To use the free will fully is being free.

Dear auh,

I made those remarks only based on you writings. I have never seen you take a pro conservative view. Let me add I do not subscribe to most of modern thinking because its agenda seems to be anti traditional.or not trying to promote free thinking

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear auh,

I made those remarks only based on you writings. I have never seen you take a pro conservative view. Let me add I do not subscribe to most of modern thinking because its agenda seems to be anti traditional.or not trying to promote free thinking

Dear Sravna,

There is no modern view and there is no traditional view..there is only personal view.

After sometime of living in this world our mind evolves to state where we do not want to be defined by tradition..superstition.rules and regulations...this does not translate as being immoral or anti tradition or promoting chaos...its just wanting to go beyond the shackles known to us.

It takes a very mature stable mind to be able to handle freedom...a mind that only knows fear would want the easier way out of sticking to norms and not able to function as an independent unit becos he would seriously doubt his strength and capability.

sravna

Dear Sravna,

There is no modern view and there is no traditional view..there is only personal view.

After sometime of living in this world our mind evolves to state where we do not want to be defined by tradition..superstition.rules and regulations...this does not translate as being immoral or anti tradition or promoting chaos...its just wanting to go beyond the shackles known to us.

It takes a very mature stable mind to be able to handle freedom...a mind that only knows fear would want the easier way out of sticking to norms and not able to function as an independent unit becos he would seriously doubt his strength and capability.

Dear Renuka,

There is nothing wrong in something acting as a guidance for us. That guidance from tradition generally stood the test of time and so based on enduring principles. One may add to it or adapt it according to times but not wise to reject it and so traditional views definitely have a place in guiding one's thoughts.

auh

Dear auh,

Dear Sravna, you are polarizing yourself into a bracket when you presume the agenda without consideration (imo). But then, you might have already considered.

OP
OP
prasad1

prasad1

Gold Member
Gold Member
Prasad ji,

I dont get it...you wrote gay wedding...you mean same sex wedding?

Was it female and female wedding or male and male wedding.

Your post seems a bit unclear about this fact.
I am sorry.
It was a boy-boy marriage.
When I said the bride (boy) I assumed it was clear.

Janaki Jambunathan

I am sorry.
It was a boy-boy marriage.
When I said the bride (boy) I assumed it was clear.

Joy Joy this year.Boy Boy next year! was the message tagged with a gift I received for my wedding decades back- That was the conventional thinking about wedding at that time It is all different or Ulta now For this Boy Boy marriage reversing the message could be highly insensitive - This may be appropriate Boy Boy this year Enjoy for Ever!

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Renuka,

There is nothing wrong in something acting as a guidance for us. That guidance from tradition generally stood the test of time and so based on enduring principles. One may add to it or adapt it according to times but not wise to reject it and so traditional views definitely have a place in guiding one's thoughts.

Dear Sravna,

I do not have an acute need to be "good".

I like to flirt with the idea of being free and let myself flow with my thoughts...there is a certain beauty to let the mind float even if at times it tilts poles...enjoy the intoxication that pleasure and pain gives.

I do not strive to be spiritual...neither do I want to be evil.

I cant define how I would want to be.

Traditional or modern..that does not describe me for those are the ways of the world...not mine.

What is me? What is mine?

I don't know...yet I don't want to know!

Why care? Let the bliss of ignorance envelop my mind for all I care.

In ignorance at times we find freedom but at the same time knowledge forms a prison.

So do I want to escape or be bound?

What if I desire neither?

sravna

Dear Sravna,

I do not have an acute need to be "good".

I like to flirt with the idea of being free and let myself flow with my thoughts...there is a certain beauty to let the mind float even if at times it tilts poles...enjoy the intoxication that pleasure and pain gives.

I do not strive to be spiritual...neither do I want to be evil.

I cant define how I would want to be.

Traditional or modern..that does not describe me for those are the ways of the world...not mine.

What is me? What is mine?

I don't know...yet I don't want to know!

Why care? Let the bliss of ignorance envelop my mind for all I care.

In ignorance at times we find freedom but at the same time knowledge forms a prison.

So do I want to escape or be bound?

What if I desire neither?

Well Renuka, I also believe that one should not force oneself to be something one is not. Being true to nature is the right thing to do provided it does not mean harm to others.

GNANA SUNYAM

In an organization of good repute, where more than 10000 people work, in my friend's project 2 ladies in their mid-twenties joined 2 years ago. They were always together, had lunch together, went for tea break together, sometimes found smoking in the smoking zone together, if one went on sick leave other was also on leave. Both of them when asked individually if they were married they answered in the affirmative and when enquired who are staying with them (to know if their in-laws are with them) they would answer they are staying with their spouses. My friend and her colleagues thought they were perhaps best friends since childhood. a few months ago both of them were suddenly transferred to different projects in different locations far apart. My friend and her colleagues were wondering at the reason for this sudden transfer which seemed not required. however when inquisitively investigated they found that their management had discovered they were married to each other and hence decided to put them in different projects coz as per their company policy 2 people married to each other could not be in same project.

And there are numerous such cases in the city we live.

kali yuga or kaali yuga whatever you call it. this has become almost common in the current times.

OP
OP
prasad1

prasad1

Gold Member
Gold Member
Why blame the Kali yuga.
In Ramayana by Rajaji, that Ahalya had seen through the disguise of Indra when he approached her and she accepted his advances.
Extramarital relation must have been in vogue in TRETA yuga.

Mahabharata took place in the Dwapara Yuga.
Incest, Rape, extra Marital relations must have been rampant.

I am not degrading these epics, nor am I degrading the message in these epics. I am just pointing out that every yuga, and every civilization has different practices, they seem out of place to others.

Going back to opening post, I am not a traditionalist.
But even to me the marriage ritual performed for this gay wedding was unusual. The Kanya Danam was height of hypocrisy.

Raji Ram

Gold Member
Gold Member
You are yet to answer my Q, Prasad Sir.

How was the boy bride dressed up? Like a male or female?

tbs

Why blame the Kali yuga.
In Ramayana by Rajaji, that Ahalya had seen through the disguise of Indra when he approached her and she accepted his advances.
Extramarital relation must have been in vogue in TRETA yuga.

Mahabharata took place in the Dwapara Yuga.
Incest, Rape, extra Marital relations must have been rampant.

I am not degrading these epics, nor am I degrading the message in these epics. I am just pointing out that every yuga, and every civilization has different practices, they seem out of place to others.

Going back to opening post, I am not a traditionalist.
But even to me the marriage ritual performed for this gay wedding was unusual. The Kanya Danam was height of hypocrisy.

hi

it should be KUMARA DHANAM.....may be replacing KANYA TO KUMARA...

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
The Kanya Danam was height of hypocrisy.

Prasad ji...its not hypocrisy.

Why think of Kanya as a FEMALE gender?

Kanya represents a virginal feminine principle...anyone XX or XY can identify with it.

Try to think of dance..a dance where a male dancer takes the role of a female..he become the feminine principle..sways to it and gets lost in it.

Likewise...the Gay Bride here identified himself with the Feminine Principle (Prakirti) to unite with "her" Purusha.

So Kanya Danam was actually needed.

Last edited:

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Kanya denotes a state of purity...even a married woman who has delivered children can still feel she is Kanya cos purity is a state of mind..not just absence of hymen.

auh

Prasad ji...its not hypocrisy.

Why think of Kanya as a FEMALE gender?

Kanya represents a virginal feminine principle...anyone XX or XY can identify with it.

Try to think of dance..a dance where a male dancer takes the role of a female..he become the feminine principle..sways to it and gets lost in it.

Likewise...the Gay Bride here identified himself with the Feminine Principle (Prakirti) to unite with "her" Purusha.

So Kanya Danam was actually needed.

Doc,

The above would apply only if we subscribe to the theory that only a "female entity (FE)" can get attracted and unite with a "male entity (ME)". It is because that is what we see in the order of nature for procreation. If we move aside from procreation, it is a whole new world altogether. A slight shift in perception.

I think that love / attraction is a feeling that transcends prototypes.

sravna

This perversion of same sex attraction worse still leading to the absurdity of same sex marriage needs to be opposed strongly by all right thinking people and nipped in the bud before it leads to undesirable consequences.

Some may argue that it is a natural instinct for some but not all natural instincts are desirable from the point of view of society.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for visiting TamilBrahmins.com

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.

We depend on advertising to keep our content free for you. Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker so that we can continue to provide the content you have come here to enjoy.

Alternatively, consider upgrading your account to enjoy an ad-free experience along with numerous other benefits. To upgrade your account, please visit the account upgrades page

You can also donate financially if you can. Please Click Here on how you can do that.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks