• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A girl's attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to one and all for their views in this girl's problem. I know that some of you think that i am not broad minded to accept changes. It is easy to talk about this but really hard when we have to face with such a challenge. As a mother of two girls, I can feel the pain of this girls mother. As Ravi ji said, life has to be with compromises and one needs to be flexible.

Sharmaji, the girl is rishaba rasi - D-O-B is 10June 1983, Rohini nakshatram. Unfortunately, i don't have the copy of her horoscope right now to check the planetary position you have mentioned. Shall try to see and let you know.

Nandriyudan
Bagya

Maybe.... i repeat.. she may be Vrichiga raasi....

Bhagya responed:
the girl is rishaba rasi - D-O-B is 10June 1983, Rohini nakshatram.

And Shri Sharma claimed victory and says:

That is the wonderful science of Astrology.....

Folks.... please comment on this please....

I know I should keep as far away from this topic as I can, but I just can't take it any more...

A system that has two imaginary planets that do not even exist, and treats sun, moon, mars, etc. as planets going around the earth, makes claims of being science.

The natural capability of the brain for pattern matching makes one remember the matches that may be no more frequent than pure chance, and not remember all the very frequent non-matches. This has allowed otherwise reasonable people to believe in things like this.

Dear Shri Sharma, I am not criticizing you as a person, but all this astro science is just bunk.

Bharathiyar in புதிய ஆத்திச்சூடி says, "சோதிடந்தனை இகழ்".

There is a poem from நாலடியார் that in part says,

சத்தமும் சோதிடமும் என்று ஆங்கு இவை பிதற்றும்
பித்தரில் பேதையார் இல்.

Please forgive me for criticizing what you believe in, but this astro science stuff does more harm than good.

Dear Sri Swaminathasharma Ji,

I am quite distressed by your predictions of moon being debilated (mental inconfirmity) and the venus/mars conjunction (romantic/sexual feelings at an early stage of life, almost promiscuity) without you having seen the girl's horoscope.

Now it turns out that her moon is exalted, exact opposite of what you have said. May be venus/mars conjunction is there as you predicted, but again this is just a chance.

I have been following vedic astrology for the past 50 years of my life as an amateur. And the way you went about it on this girl's life, now has given an opening to persons like Sri Nara Ji who do not believe in Vedic Astrology. This is just unfortunate. You and I know that Vedic Astrology is an empirical science and it is amazing in a lot of ways in terms of predictions. But by doing what you did, in my opinion, you have unwittingly opened up this discipline for ridicule.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Regards,
KRS

Bagya,

Dunno whatz wrong if a guy or a girl wish to know each other before they decide on marriage. imho, there cannot be a wedding without "pazhagi parkiradhu".

Suppose a guy or a girl did not have the chance to know their prospective spouse b4 marriage, what if they end up marrying someone "not their kind"? Hope you are not saying that a girl / guy should not have a choice in refusing marriage with someone he / she does not like or get along with.

I think the girl you have mentioned is perfectly sane in asking to get to know a guy before spending her whole life with him. Why bring her horoscope into the pic unnecessarily....perhaps she just wants freedom of choice to decide...some spinsters might have already told you that its better to remain unmarried than marry the wrong person..

There are guys who behave so decently inside the house and are different outside home. If a girl wants to know his real persona (without depending on the boy's family's account of his character), whatz wrong with it....Shd a girl simply marry a guy just bcoz he is considered a 'good alliance' by the elders....Same applies vice-versa too (since there are 'ambitious' girls these days who will dump a longtime or live in boyfriend for a 'good alliance' - read as: a better settled guy)..

Surely, speaking to the girl / guy for a few days or months before deciding on marriage can help a prospective couple understand each other, and can help them know if they can make a life with each other or not.

Regards.

Last edited:
I dont have much knowledge in astro science but one thing is sure, i really believe the effect of the moon on a persons mind.
Has anyone actually seen the behaviour of psychiatric patients on a full moon night?
How do you think the term "Lunatic" came about?
(Luna means moon).
If i am not mistaken the presiding deity of the mind is the moon.

Thats why on Mahashivaratri(darkest night) one is most condusive to contemplate on God because the moon has practically no effect on our minds on Mahashivaratri.

Maybe astro science has a lot more to offer beyond the comprehension of the human mind.

Dear Sharmaji,
I think its the Cerebro Spinal Fluid(CSF) you are talking about.
I am really very keen to know more about the effects of the moon you mentioned as the CSF is Gross/physical in nature and the mind is Subtle in nature.
I really would like to know the mechanism if possible. Can you give me info and links to the study being done?
I really love to explore the unknown.

In these changed times, all, who still, are not able to come to terms with the independent behavior of youngsters, should practice "detached attachment" to reduce the stress out of modern attitude.

தோளுக்கு மேல் வளர்ந்தால் தோழன் (இப்போது) அல்லது தோழி.

He may be a learned scholar in any subject.... But the way he behaves and comments others will fetch him timely reply in his life, and one day he will realise wat the blunder he has done....for his half baked knowledge in the subject coz a half baked is always a half baked only... can never be full baked....

Sorry nara.... bye for you.....

Dear Sri Swaminatha Sharma ji,

Shri Nara seems to have criticized the subject of astrology. A lot of people do not believe in stars. Let them be. But sir, Shri Nara has not criticized you personally. Its unnecessary to wite things like he will 'get a timely reply in his life'...it can almost be perceived like you wish to curse him in his life...And surely sir, we are nobody to decide who is half-baked. His wealth of knowledge in Srivaishnavism is amazing. No offence meant sir. If you do take offence to this, i apologize. Hope you will take it in the right spirit.

Regards.

I never curse anybody in my life... never. never.... never i do such mistakes....

Dear Shri Sharma,

I am quite amazed at your dedication to help a lot of people through Swyamvaram etc. I only have the best of regards for you.

I did not take your comments as curse. Further, I do not believe in such things. Therefore, even if you curse me, that is alright, I will take it with amusement only.

I have also studied Jyothisham a little bit, to the extent it is required for nithya and naimithika karmanushtanam. So, I am not completely unaware of the subject.

Moon has an effect on earth and people on earth due to the gravitational forces. How and why it affects people psychologically is to be studied and understood to the extent possible. But, offering this as proof for the entire field of astrology is not reasonable.

If empirical validity exists for astrology then it must be demonstrated. Often times medical procedures and treatment regimens only have empirical validity. But the efficacy is demonstrated by statistical means. Practitioners do not simply say there is empirical validity.

All the best to you sir.....

Sow. Sri. Renukakarthikayan asked :-

"Has anyone actually seen the behaviour of psychiatric patients on a full moon night?"

I have seen. I am employed in the aged care sector in a nursing home. I have not noticed any undue behaviour on the full moon nights. There are many residents with chronic behaviour problems, but full moon does not seem to make such behaviour any worse. I am talking about 90 residents here (I personally take care of only 20 of them though). In my humble opinion, connecting full moon to a person's psychological behaviour is not correct. I have been doing this job only for the past 16 months though.

Raghu,

What you say is partially correct. Full moon affects the psyche of certain type of individuals, including the lovers.

That's why they are called 'lunatics'.

Raghu,

What you say is partially correct. Full moon affects the psyche of certain type of individuals, including the lovers.

That's why they are called 'lunatics'.

Sri Pannvalan,

I agree with you 100% here. It affects the lovers and the persons in love. You are a poet; you may not miss much!

The word lunatic is borrowed from the Latin "lunacus", in turns stemming from "luna" (moon), which denotes the traditional link made in folklore between madness and the phases of the moon. This probably refers to the symptoms of cyclic mood disorders such as bipolar disorder or cyclothymia, the symptoms of which may also go through phases. As yet there no evidence whatsoever for any causal link between phases of the moon and the progression of mood disorder symptoms. Correlation has been observed in distant parts.

this above from wikipedia for lunatic

Lunatic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i personally also believe it is grandma tales associating mental disturbance or lovers' behaviour to the wax wane of moon.

but dogs do appear to howl at the sight of full moon. all over the world. wonder why?

Last edited:
not ony full moon,but also amavasya nights. These nights one can see, sea with violent waves. Learned men also says that if any one with terminally ill condition , will be warned that "let this amavasya/pournami night be over" .
Similarly, it is reported, also number of curings do takes place by taking one to certain temples for amavasai and purnami nights and worship there.

Ms. Bagya,
I read your posting. You are wrong. Let her be whatever she is and once she learns the meaning of life everything will fall into place. Life is something that a person understands at early age or at a later stage. They suffer endlessly when they fail to understand. Help her if possible and pray God that she understands life sooner.

[email protected]

not ony full moon,but also amavasya nights. These nights one can see, sea with violent waves. Learned men also says that if any one with terminally ill condition , will be warned that "let this amavasya/pournami night be over" .
Similarly, it is reported, also number of curings do takes place by taking one to certain temples for amavasai and purnami nights and worship there.

drs,

it is true and not true. amavasai and pournami comes every 15 days alternately.

this type of thinking re about death is whispered about a couple of days before the event and after the event.

so that is 5 days out of 15 ie one in three chances.

i am not so sure about this, but i find that one can reason out any logic or belief.

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back