• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A Few Glimpses from South Indian History

Status
Not open for further replies.
SuperModerator (SM),

pray let me echo sangom's concern in post #200.

the offending quote 'With due respect, Edtd - KRS you not being able to say DK's rhetoric and policy on brahmins was wrong' in my opinion, appears to be an ultimatum re 'my way' or 'no way'

sir SM, in a forum of our sorts, where we accommodate views right from black to white with all hues inbetween, for one member to cast aspiration Edtd-KRS means only thing - that the said member (vivek, in this case) does not quite grasp the gravity of his statement.

it would only be proper for the SM to request vivek to explain himself, as to what context he attributed Edtd-KRS to sangom's post. further more, vivek might want to explain how he understands the term Edtd - KRS , and what he would do. Edtd - KRS

thank you.

I have moderated above in Sri Sangom Ji's post - KRS

Last edited by a moderator:
To All Members,
In my opinion, 'EGO' in a person with latent leadership qualities results in their taking up causes which is dear to them.
In my considered opinion M.K.Gandhi would have continued as a prosperous Attorney in South Africa, had he not been thrown out of a running train by a white man.Rajaji who introduced Hindi in Tamilnadu and who was a staunch Congressman,became a strong critic of congress and opposed imposition of Hindi in Tamilnadu.Why?
Netaji Subhas chandra Bose was elected Congress President opposing Pattabhi Sitarammayya,candidate supported by M.K.Gandhi.
When M.K.Gandhi issued a statement that Pattabhi's defeat was his defeat, all members of congress top forum did not cooperate with Netaji who was forced to resign and ultimately left Congress.
EVR was a staunch congressman upto a point and left congress when he was not getting importance as compared to Rajaji and Satyamurthy.
He joined Justice party.
Jinnah was in Congress and left and sought for a separate country for Muslims.
M.G.R. was in DMK party and when not getting importance started AIADMK Party.
Recently there was a controversy about a book written by Jaswant Singh on Jinnah.
How do we judge people especially with reference to EVR,and Jinnah.A person who was noble throughout his life but commits a single murder
because of personal enmity in the last phase of his life is,in my opinion, a murderer for general public.By one action a new tag has been
attached to that person.Being an Indian ,I cannot see past of Jinnah but only his speech in 1946 which resulted in killing of thousands of people
and judge him.So also all tabras will have a different opinion about DK and EVR.
I feel it is better this topic is not discussed anyfurther.We can discuss deficiencies and defects of tabras and how to integrate Tabras with other communities in Tamilnadu without bringing DK or EVR in the picture.I think majority of Tabras are allergic to DK and EVR and let us respect their sentiments.

Last edited:
....it would only be proper for the SM to request vivek to explain himself,....
SM,
I am one of those people who believe best moderation is least moderation. The recent events have tested this belief so intensely that I no longer think that, I think there are some repeat offenders who need some moderation/guidance.

In the past Vivek has shown a sort of casualness in quoting other members. He mixes up statements of people, attributing quotes to people who did not make them, and at times he has tested credulity, at least mine, with the level of misunderstanding he exhibits with what is being said. All this can be tolerated, but the way goes about saying these things, bordering on callous disregard for civility, day after day, is becoming hard to endure.

Cheers!
I have moderated above in Sri Sangom's post. - KRS

Last edited by a moderator:
Perversions under reservations

[FONT=&quot]We used to eagerly await Nani Palkhivala’s post-budget analysis delivered with his characteristic elan. Last time I remember to have heard his was in the year 1994.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]During the course of his speech he was to relate an incident on an incidence of moral perversion as reported by Free Press Journal, that used to published from Bombay.:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A lady in Kerala belonging to a forward caste was aiming for admission for her son in a professional course. In order to get around the reservation mountain, she hit upon an idea. She declared that her son (the one seeking admission to the professional course) was not fathered by her husband, but by a depressed class man. She set up a person from a proven SC and made him swear on oath that he indeed fathered** her son. Thus she managed to get admission for her son under the SC quota!

** Evidently this should have happened well before the DNA test to determine paternity came to be accepted as evidence by the courts.

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Let us look at this in a different way. it is the question of attitude. To say something is big we should hav something smaller than it. You cannot have white if all is white. A difference appears only when thing are compared. Look at it historically. Smaller kings were trounced to make a big kingdom. Then the fear of annihilation. You are afraid of anything bigger than you. You want to be bigger than anything in your sight. When you cannot become big, you hate bigger things. It is human tendency. Subjugation gives satisfaction and the subjugated hates. It is just a perception. Have we not heard of ethnic cleansing? It is real and is likely to raise its head again and again. What about Russian revolution? It is as simple as that.

To All Members,
In my opinion, 'EGO' in a person with latent leadership qualities results in their taking up causes which is dear to them.
In my considered opinion M.K.Gandhi would have continued as a prosperous Attorney in South Africa, had he not been thrown out of a running train by a white man.Rajaji who introduced Hindi in Tamilnadu and who was a staunch Congressman,became a strong critic of congress and opposed imposition of Hindi in Tamilnadu.Why?
Netaji Subhas chandra Bose was elected Congress President opposing Pattabhi Sitarammayya,candidate supported by M.K.Gandhi.
When M.K.Gandhi issued a statement that Pattabhi's defeat was his defeat, all members of congress top forum did not cooperate with Netaji who was forced to resign and ultimately left Congress.
EVR was a staunch congressman upto a point and left congress when he was not getting importance as compared to Rajaji and Satyamurthy.
He joined Justice party.
Jinnah was in Congress and left and sought for a separate country for Muslims.
M.G.R. was in DMK party and when not getting importance started AIADMK Party.
Recently there was a controversy about a book written by Jaswant Singh on Jinnah.
How do we judge people especially with reference to EVR,and Jinnah.A person who was noble throughout his life but commits a single murder
because of personal enmity in the last phase of his life is,in my opinion, a murderer for general public.By one action a new tag has been
attached to that person.Being an Indian ,I cannot see past of Jinnah but only his speech in 1946 which resulted in killing of thousands of people
and judge him.So also all tabras will have a different opinion about DK and EVR.
I feel it is better this topic is not discussed anyfurther.We can discuss deficiencies and defects of tabras and how to integrate Tabras with other communities in Tamilnadu without bringing DK or EVR in the picture.I think majority of Tabras are allergic to DK and EVR and let us respect their sentiments.

Dear Shri Krishnamurthy,

With all due respects to you and to your personal knowledge of a direct observer of developments of those days, I agree that tabras may harbour some undesirable feelings about DK, EVR, etc. But permit me to say that in the background of the very great qualities of Brahmans which are repeatedly glorified in this very forum - such as saatveeka guna, forgiving nature, universal good will and what not - is it not at least necessary to tolerate differing opinions? If, as you suggest, we are here only to say what pleases our ears, will it not be equivalent to shutting our ears/eyes to criticisms and tending to live in our own imaginary world, in which all tabras will look ideal manifestations of divine, or even super-divine qualities and then, jealousy among each other will ensue, as exemplified in many a puranic story?

So, I would say with all emphasis at my command that we should invite differing, opposing povs, try to rebut with supporting facts and evidences (not merely pronouncements of our pet beliefs again and again) and, if at last we find no meeting ground, leave the discussion as friends.

In the case of Jinnah, either you are not aware, or are overlooking the many tactical blunders committed by Gandhi in mixing (hindu) religion in his political meetings to which the muslims had great resentment, which the Ali brothers conveyed to Gandhi and about which later Jinnah also spoke to Gandhi. In his usual self-righteous, adamantine style, Gandhi rebuffed the suggestions and requests and replied, as usual in his characteristic vein "over my dead body" or some words similar to that. This was what sowed the first seed of Hindu-Muslim distrust in the minds of Muslims first and in Hindus, as a reaction to it, subsequently. We tend to forget facts selectively in our enthusiasm and eagerness to make eulogies of heros—that is the pity. For instance do you find any mention of the Surat Congress of 1907, the blood spilled there, the "garam dal" being prosecuted and banished to the Andamans or Mandalay, etc.? That the name Congress could not be used for nearly seven years because of that dispute and the term "convention" being used instead?

I feel in this 21st. century we should be a little more broad-minded and be ready to call a spade a spade, without rancour.

Even in the case of EVR/DK/DMK it is clear as daylight that they knew the pulse of the people and carried the day, and political power, with them whereas, we tabras adopted the ostrich attitude and lived perhaps in our own imaginary world and did not see the winds of change. Your suggestion to live hearing only what would please our ears and satisfy our egos will be taking the same attitude, IMO. It is with an idea to bring those aspects which the tabras and their leadership miserably misunderstood or ignored, as clearly as possible to the info. of members that I started this thread.

Lastly, I am reminded of a dialogue in the well known movie "veera pandia kattabomman"; when the britsh are very near to taking over his fort also, kattabomman bravely tells his companions "naam jeyitthukkoNTE irukkiROM" or something to that effect! Let us not try to be like that.

Last edited:
Let us look at this in a different way. it is the question of attitude. To say something is big we should hav something smaller than it. You cannot have white if all is white. A difference appears only when thing are compared. Look at it historically. Smaller kings were trounced to make a big kingdom. Then the fear of annihilation. You are afraid of anything bigger than you. You want to be bigger than anything in your sight. When you cannot become big, you hate bigger things. It is human tendency. Subjugation gives satisfaction and the subjugated hates. It is just a perception. Have we not heard of ethnic cleansing? It is real and is likely to raise its head again and again. What about Russian revolution? It is as simple as that.

Well said.

In Pakistan it is the Punjabis who dominate politics and army and their is a constant tension between them and the rest, in particular the Sindhis.

Z.A. Bhutto who came from Sindh had to face opposition from the rest. It is a matter of conjecture that whether his antipathy to India as was to outflank the Punjabis. He was aristocratic and was a good friend to the inimitable Piloo Mody.

I think Jiddu Krishnamurthy and Rajneesh have talked on the issue of psychology underlying dominance at length.

It calls for an unprecedented enlightenment for a genuine brotherhood to blossom. May be that made the Kanchi acharya compose "Maitreem Bajata" in which he inter-alia says "yuddham tyajata, spardam tyajata".

Rgds.,

In the case of Jinnah, either you are not aware, or are overlooking the many tactical blunders committed by Gandhi in mixing (hindu) religion in his political meetings to which the muslims had great resentment, which the Ali brothers conveyed to Gandhi and about which later Jinnah also spoke to Gandhi. In his usual self-righteous, adamantine style, Gandhi rebuffed the suggestions and requests and replied, as usual in his characteristic vein "over my dead body" or some words similar to that. This was what sowed the first seed of Hindu-Muslim distrust in the minds of Muslims first and in Hindus, as a reaction to it, subsequently. We tend to forget facts selectively in our enthusiasm and eagerness to make eulogies of heros—that is the pity. For instance do you find any mention of the Surat Congress of 1907, the blood spilled there, the "garam dal" being prosecuted and banished to the Andamans or Mandalay, etc.? That the name Congress could not be used for nearly seven years because of that dispute and the term "convention" being used instead?

According to Sri Aurobindo it was in the Khilafat movement there were seeds of division, for it idealised on the ummah for the muslims. He had castigated both Tilak* and Gandhi for countenancing Ali brothers.
That Jinnah was originally secular is quite true. Had he been make President of the Congress in 1920 (which he thoroughly deserved), instead of the supercession of Nehru, he would not have thought of quitting Congress. Yes Gandhiji really blundered.
Later for nearly 20 years he stayed away from India, practising law in London. What provoked him was when he learnt that Nehru uttered "he (Jinnah) is finished";.
Even in 1942 it was possible to avert partition, had Cripps's proposals been accepted.

As fate would have had it, Jinnah returned to prepare for Direct Action and rest as they say is history.

Rgds.,

*Aurobindo had praised Tilak as pre-eminent political figure.
Many Congress leaders of that time were miffed at Gandhi's preference for Nehru.

Shri Kesavan,

Each one of your statements/sentences is unassailable. But, IMHO, these have very little relevance to the subject matter now discussed, which, according to me is the DK/DMK/EVR's anti-Brahman attitude and whether any Tamil Brahman can get away from accusing DK/DMK/EVR of having followed an immoral method against the Tamil Brahmans.

My understanding of the antecedents of the anti-Brahman uprising under the leadership of EVR was the culmination of what originated as the South Indian Liberal Federation (a.k.a. the Justice Party) in 1916 which ultimately erupted in the form of violent anti Brahman actions during the 1940's, a good 20 years or so later. It was the intransigence, hauteur and smug over-confidence of the Tamil Brahman political and social leadership which perhaps thought that its apex position in the social and power hierarchies were invincible because they (the Tamil Brahmans) had become trusted servants and allies of the King (or Ruler), which in this instance they mistook to be the British; this was a very familiar scenario for Brahmans throughout history, viz., align with the ruling power, please and eulogize if possible, and lord it over the other castes in the society. The Tamil Brahmins, like the proverbial Bourbonnes, forgot nothing and learned nothing too. They failed miserably to sense the changes taking place in the outside world, the changes in political scenario within India and outside, etc., etc.

The non-Brahman higher castes within the Hindu fold, of the then Madras Province (Presidency) of those days were much bigger, both in terms of numbers, economic resources, and what not—including contacts with influential British. What they wanted was only a just recognition by the Brahmans that the NB upper castes as well as the sudras had a right to a share in the government jobs and elected public offices. For the latter, they demanded proportional representation. But the Brahmans used all the methods possible to thwart these demands. In the process, they could not see the growing suspicion their actions were creating in the minds of the British rulers themselves regarding an attempt for Brahman hegemony, which will affect the peace of the country itself. This was thus like a sparrow sitting on the back of an elephant and trying to ever remain so and go on pecking the elephant's back; the elephant, when it felt hurt, simply gave a swipe with its tail and lo! the sparrow was nearly dead!

Hence, I will not say, it was jealousy on the part of the NB upper castes or all NBs put together, that they wanted to pull down a "really bigger, higher or greater" Brahman group, etc. Nor was there any trace of ethnic cleansing; if it had been, you and I will not be here most probably!

But I can say with some amount of surety that the continued cribbing, whining, accusation, the notion of persecuted or wronged innocents, etc., is very likely to nurture mutual distrust between Brahmans on the one side and the rest of the Hindus on the other; to what consequences it will lead our community, only future can tell.

Sri Sangom

"Kindly refer to the portion in bold and blue above (emphasis done by me) and let me know whether this forum considers any one as morally bankrupt if he/she believes that DK/EVR/DMK or for that matter anyone else like the erstwhile Justice Party holding anti-Brahman views and sentiments, cannot be faulted with, without taking into consideration the reactions and attitudes of the Tamil Brahman leadership and the community as a whole which gave rise to such an intense hatred, if this issue is viewed impartially and without considering his/her position as a born Tamil Brahman."

The forum doesn't, I consider a person who justifies an attack on a community by pulling a past episode to be morally bankrupt. Sangom, I am sorry if its offensive when I just raise my point.
People here speaking of progressive policies, have no idea IMO what being progressive is all about. As for your past digging to what seems to me as justifying anti-brahminism, I can only say that its akin to justifying a present prejudice against say whites in US for the atlantic slave trade.

What was DK's real issue? Brahmins were holding offices in majority despite being a minority. DK didn't see that we were an edcuated community which is why we did have a position of influence. DK reduced our culture to casteism, and I feel you did the same by saying we just did "abracadabra". Now you are free to tell me what your idea of TBs is having said that.

"It was the intransigence, hauteur and smug over-confidence of the Tamil Brahman political and social leadership which perhaps thought that its apex position in the social and power hierarchies were invincible because they (the Tamil Brahmans) had become trusted servants and allies of the King (or Ruler), which in this instance they mistook to be the British; this was a very familiar scenario for Brahmans throughout history,"

Its comments like this Sangom. You have gone to extraordinary lengths to say why anti-brahminism started. I am well aware. And we are also well aware why anti-semitism started in Germany before the world war. What you are not coming to say is how you find such a rhetoric as DK progressive or correct. Brahmins were not all through the "trusted servants or allies" of the British, many efforts to fight the British come from brahmins in history.

What brahmins did do is keep up with times. Merely because they were a minority, and DK hated them it came to exile them. And that to me is categorically wrong. We can have differing opinions sure, but lets also be frank about addressing each other's questions.

"But I can say with some amount of surety that the continued cribbing, whining, accusation, the notion of persecuted or wronged innocents, etc., is very likely to nurture mutual distrust between Brahmans on the one side and the rest of the Hindus on the other; to what consequences it will lead our community, only future can tell. "

Its not about whining, its about changing an indocotrinated pov of hating TBs. That is what I think it is time for Sri Sangom. To tell clearly that our culture and legacy in tamil society was more than just casteism. But telling that becomes harder, when TBs themselves come to think that "abracadabra" was everything in their culture.

Regards,
Vivek.

Last edited:
Sri KRS and Sri Nacchi

"Just yesterday, I posted some moderating words to you about being not disrespectful. Yet you call Sri Sangom Ji this, which is clearly a personal attack against him. "

I will try to put my points in milder words. But I will be dishonest about my pov if I don't say this:

1. I don't think TBs should accept a position of being made to choose between being Tamil and being Brahmins. (Nacchi, I could only partially read the part one of your Countering Anti-brahminism series. I think you broach on an important topic, but I still don't accept the idea of "see ourselves as tamils first and then brahmins".

There is no such option for me. Just because as a minority we did well, DK used it against us. Is any other community made to choose? TBs have made great contributions, at that time they are called "Tamilians" and all are proud. When it comes to the mutts (brahmin or non-brahmin) practicing casteism, its conveniently called "brahminism".

2. TBs have a share of negative in their culture, but I don't accept the pov that TBs respresented a social evil - as DK said, nor the view of "abracadabra" as Sangom put it. I think we should realize at what point we should demand being accepted for the positive roles we played in TN history, and at what point we should change ourselves. Example: We should change attitudes of condescending behaviour, but we should not feel apologetic for having been influencial or educated, and been in office. We should instead expect other communities to take education into importance. That is why DK exiling was wrong.

3. I certainly think that anti-brahminism, and the negative image of our community should have been taken seriously by brahmins of the past generations. It shouldn't have come all the way till today. So I am sorry if I said "Sangom's generation" should have taken the issue, its what I feel should have been done though. But it doesn't go as a personal attack on Sangom, I would have to say the generation of my grand-parents, parents are of course the same.

4. I certainly don't see this forum discussing anti-brahminism for what it is - an attack on a community, and its legacy. There is not one post here that condemns the DK and asserts to say that TBs are 100 percent tamilians - which is what they were considered for centuries. We enriched both Sanskrit and Tamil literature, and till today (despite all the anti-brahminism etc) continue to hold tamil literature, music, language close to us and identify with it. I find it totally immoral when I see people here pulling out old chapters to justify anti-brahminism.

Regards,
Vivek.

Last edited:
Sri Nara

You did speak of "sordid supremacist past" to justify DK's policy, didn't you? I misquoted Swami TaBra, not you.

Should we speak of huge wealth and mis-managed authority of ruling (NB) classes and say a crime against them today would be correct? So anything you say is of the same idea - use the past to justify a present crime. To say so and so person is morally bankrupt is not an attack by me, but my genuine opinion.

I certainly don't see how reservation is a progressive idea as you put it in one post. Till today, or in the future, no matter how "tamil" brahmins a body of propaganda will always attack them when they become influential. They became influential by keeping up with times. It was EVR's and his family's mistake that they didn't regard education as that important.

Further, if we are to set up a progressive society today, DK should spread the importance of education rather than lend reservations to gain votes. The issue of brahmin mutts is nothing more that Parsee fire temples not allowing me inside. If the cretins in the mutts want to be like that let them in their corner. While I accept they did wrong, DK did an equal wrong.

Regards,
Vivek.

my dear vivek,

have the tambrams done anything wrong at all? or just only wronged against?

thank you.

ps. the uts & british governments have gone on record publicly apolgizing for what their ancestors did re slavery. i dont' think many tambrams would do likewise, consider that their ancestors were at the top of the totem pole of caste hierarchy, atleast apologize to the dalits, if not any other group. but i would first like your comments to me main query above. thanks.

Last edited:
Dear Sri Vivek Ji,

Again you have called Sri Sangom Ji as 'morally bankrupt' in post #210 above, despite my warning. You are entitled to your opinions, but you are not entitiled to be offensive against other members in this Forum.

Please take your tantrums elsewhere. I do not think that this Forum is the right place for you. Good bye.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
According to Sri Aurobindo it was in the Khilafat movement there were seeds of division, for it idealised on the ummah for the muslims. He had castigated both Tilak* and Gandhi for countenancing Ali brothers.
That Jinnah was originally secular is quite true. Had he been make President of the Congress in 1920 (which he thoroughly deserved), instead of the supercession of Nehru, he would not have thought of quitting Congress. Yes Gandhiji really blundered.
Later for nearly 20 years he stayed away from India, practising law in London. What provoked him was when he learnt that Nehru uttered "he (Jinnah) is finished";.
Even in 1942 it was possible to avert partition, had Cripps's proposals been accepted.

As fate would have had it, Jinnah returned to prepare for Direct Action and rest as they say is history.

Rgds.,

Many Congress leaders of that time were miffed at Gandhi's preference for Nehru.

Dear Shri Swami,

You have written that Aurobindo Ghosh castigated Gandhi for countenancing the Ali Brothers. May be, but in this particular issue of Gandhi starting his political meetings with an apparently hindu prayer (which gave the Muslims an impression that Gandhi was aiming for a Hindu country and Muslims would not be safe there - granting the animosities emanating from the Mughal rule, I presume) Gandhi did not yield at all. The Ali Brothers found themselves in a difficult position—if they side with Gandhi their followers will desert them. All this is from my memory of reading India Wins Freedom by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, long back, but I do not think I am wrong in reproducing.

namaste.

Surely, Vivek used intemperate language repeatedly in many posts despite warning, but the four points he has summed up (all of which he had been reiterating in his posts) make him stand apart, at such early age, as a man with the right perception. These points deserve their due consideration elsewhere in this Forum for Tamil Brahmins, if not in this thread. I hope that Vivek will mellow and the moderator be lenient eventually and that we will see Vivek back posting, with restrained vigour.

Rgds.,

It is accepted now that the support of Mahatma Gandhi for the Khilafat Movement paved the way for partition and most of the trouble later on. For the first time we told the Muslims that they were Muslims first and Indians later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khilafat_Movement

Jinnah spoke bitterly about this as to how he was told that he was a Muslim first and then only an Indian later. This was in conext of election to Bombay Municipal corporation when he was asked to file his nomination for the seat reserved for Muslims.

By the way Bhutto who is a alumni of St. Xavier's College , Bombay fought for restoration of his father Nawab of Junagath's property in Indian courts and lost. One of the reasons for his animosity.

But we can also be very petty. When Jinnah left a substantial amount to his Alma meter Bombay University, we refused it. Jinnah was secular and never went to a Mosque. But he used religion as a means. He was proud of saying "We will have a secular Pakistan and a Hindu India."

namaste.

Surely, Vivek used intemperate language repeatedly in many posts despite warning, but the four points he has summed up (all of which he had been reiterating in his posts) make him stand apart, at such early age, as a man with the right perception. These points deserve their due consideration elsewhere in this Forum for Tamil Brahmins, if not in this thread. I hope that Vivek will mellow and the moderator be lenient eventually and that we will see Vivek back posting, with restrained vigour.

Shri Saidevo,

It is apparent, right now itself, that our points of view on the topic are opposite. Still, since I have found you to rarely go beyond the norms of this forum, I make myself bold to address just one of the four points referred to by you. (Actually, I don't find four separate points, but only one refrain which is that TBs were great, innocent, pure Tamils and deserved to be on the apex of the Tamil society for ever, just because of the above reasons. That this did not happen and anti-Brahmin agitations which pulled the TBs down from their high perch, is as inexcusable a crime as any of the worst in human history, and every morally upright TB has to hold this view; those who do not are all morally bankrupt and deserve the worst condemnation.)

If you differ from the above summarisation, kindly elucidate.

I am trying to deal with just one of the many qualifications attributed to TBs, viz., TBs were pure Tamils. I am not going into the genetic aspects because that science was not in the scene when these developments took place. But otherwise, here is a southern corner of the peninsula which has had a distinct language, which, as spoken by the non-erudite masses, is mostly free from the sanskrit language influence. It also became evident that this Tamizh language had a great literary history and its development was free from the vedic or sanskritic influences and presented a society with a sufficiently developed social structure. Amidst this sea of ordinary masses was a small group, holding allegiance to an entirely different culture, religion, scriptures in an alien language and which, at every other step, would convince an impartial student that this small group was living at best as ambassadors of an entirely different era, people, culture, religion and belief system.

Just take the small and very routine mantra of narmadāyai namaḥ prātaḥ ... ; how is it that the Tamil Brahmans who claim to be one hundred percent Tamil, go all the way north to narmada for protection from poisonous snakes? Is it because none of the rivers in the Dramila region—kaveri, krishna, godavari, tungabhadra—do not have that power?

Again, let us take "imam me gaṃge yamune sarasvati śutudristomagm̐ sacatāparuṣṇiyā |...". Here also not one rivulet south of the Vindhyas gets included!

Many such examples can be provided which clearly shows that as far as the Tamil Brahmins were, and are concerned, their loyalty is not to anything Tamilian but that they take solace from sources outside Tamil Nad. However there is no let up in speaking "vaṭa veṅkaṭam teṉ kumariyāyiṭai tamiḻkūṟum nallulakam" whenever it suits the TBs to do so.

We may also keep in mind the point made by Shri Nara about the advices of the old Vaishnava aazhvaars being effectively overruled by a subsequent sanskrit-oriented orthodoxy which swore by the caste system and the superiority of the Brahmans.

So, the question all of us have to ponder about is "how much Tamil the TBs were/are?".

Last edited:
Two points:

[1] The original founders of Justice Party were upper caste, landowning NBs. Their main grouse was not against landowning Brahmins, but the government officials and lawyers. The Brahmin lawyers on both sides of many land disputes enriched themselves over long period of legal wranglings -- Bleak House style -- leaving the litigants penniless in the end. The Brahmin lawyers formed a kind of clique and would work to advance the careers of each other and would keep NB lawyers out. The roots of Justice Party can be found in the resentment well-educated NBs felt against this kind of treatment by the Brahmins.

[2] After EVR joined the party there were two wings, one a rationalist wing headed by EVR and the other a Saiva one that was pro-Tamil/anti-Brahmin. These two wings did not see eye-to-eye. There were intense struggle, each side going after the other tooth-and-nail. Marimalai Adigal and EVR had intense antipathy for each other. However, the two wings somehow managed to calm things down.

These are in a couple of academic articles I read sometime back. I will look for them and post some excerpts if and when I find them.

Cheers!

Saidevo wants four points of Vivek addressed. I will provide my take.

1. I don't think TBs should accept a position of being made to choose between being Tamil and being Brahmins.
The Brahmins made this choice voluntarily, and they chose to be Brahmins with Sanskrit as deva bhasha, superior to Tamil. It is true that many notable contributions to Tamil were made by Brahmins, but, they always held Sanskrit superior. This can be established by a simple test, how many Brahmins gladly accept the notion that Archanai in temples can be done in Tamil?

This has always been one way TBs separated themselves from the other Tamils, which was not a case with the Brahmins of the north, Bengal, or Maharashtra, etc.

2. TBs have a share of negative in their culture, but I don't accept the pov that TBs respresented a social evil - as DK said, nor the view of "abracadabra" as Sangom put it.
What DK does is their business. I can only express my POV. IMO, the social evil that is caste system is a product of Brahminism. Any practitioner of Brahminism will have to answer for it, whether TB or TNB, or plain B and NB.

The "abracadabra" Sangom sir mentioned is not about caste system, it is about religious superstitions that Brahmin priests practice.

3. I certainly think that anti-brahminism, and the negative image of our community should have been taken seriously by brahmins of the past generations. It shouldn't have come all the way till today. So I am sorry if I said "Sangom's generation" should have taken the issue, its what I feel should have been done though. But it doesn't go as a personal attack on Sangom, I would have to say the generation of my grand-parents, parents are of course the same.
I don't have any issue with this, except, the way to deal with this is not to go after DK, but to look inward and change for the better. Get rid of the concept of Varna altogether, make a clean break.

4. I certainly don't see this forum discussing anti-brahminism for what it is - an attack on a community, and its legacy. There is not one post here that condemns the DK and asserts to say that TBs are 100 percent tamilians - which is what they were considered for centuries.
This is simply not true. Both sides of the argument get to present their case. There are enough posts in this forum that highlight all the misery TBs have been suffering at the hands of Dravidian parties.

Cheers!

....1. I don't think TBs should accept a position of being made to choose between being Tamil and being Brahmins.
In support of what I have already stated, namely, that the TB on their own volition considered Tamil as inferior and separated themselves from other Tamils, I give below an excerpt from the article, "Notes on the Transformation of 'Dravidian' Ideology: Tamilnadu, c. 1900-1940, Author(s): M. S. S. Pandian, Social Scientist, Vol. 22, No. 5/6 (May - Jun., 1994), pp. 84-104. The text in brown in the following excerpt is from the book by N. Subramanian, "The Brahmin in the Tamil Country", Ennes Publications, Madurai (1989).
Intimately linked to the hegemonic location of the Brahmin both in the civil and the political societies, was his bilinguality. This bilinguality was unique and was distinguished by its contempt for Tamil, the language of the ordinary, and its simultaneous enthusiasm for English and Sanskrit, both languages of distance and exclusion, and hence, of power: 'They spoke a colloquial Tamil Brahmin dialect, a slang, at home; and impeccable English in office and from on public fora; they praised Sanskrit and learnt enough to make a local show of it. They disdained to speak in their mother tongue on public occasions and never felt ashamed to admit that they could not express themselves sufficiently well in Tamil. Some of them became noted great orators in English but none of them could speak a single sentence in Tamil without using a high percentage of English words or loading it with a still higher percentage of Sanskrit. They know the Sanskrit lore, became soaked in Western intellectual tradition but remained totally ignorant of Tamil literary or cultural traditions'. The reason for this particular kind of Brahmin bilinguality is not far to seek. While English facilitated his access to and authority in the colonial 'political society', Sanskrit, which was celebrated as Deva Bhasha or the language of the celestials, reinforced his hegemony in the 'civil society'.
Cheers!

Dear Shri Swami,

You have written that Aurobindo Ghosh castigated Gandhi for countenancing the Ali Brothers. May be, but in this particular issue of Gandhi starting his political meetings with an apparently hindu prayer (which gave the Muslims an impression that Gandhi was aiming for a Hindu country and Muslims would not be safe there - granting the animosities emanating from the Mughal rule, I presume) Gandhi did not yield at all. The Ali Brothers found themselves in a difficult position—if they side with Gandhi their followers will desert them. All this is from my memory of reading India Wins Freedom by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, long back, but I do not think I am wrong in reproducing.

You are selectively missing out the famous "Raghupathi raghav raja ram" in which there is a line "iswar allah tere naam".

What about the opposition to "Vande mataram"? Does the use of imagery in a Hindu majority land to be condemned? Though I have not read M.J. Akbar's latest book, I know that he thinks quite differently from most other muslims. So also is Arif Mohammed Khan.

The more the Congress and Gandhi yielded to the separatist forces during the pre-independence era, more they became emboldened.

If you look at the muslims of South Asia, Indonesia is a case in point for fusion of Hinduism and Islam. Rama is a hero in Indonesia. Then what is the problem for them here...

I agree only to the extent that Gandhi erred in his dealings with Jinnah during the early part of 20th century.

Regards,
Swami

It is accepted now that the support of Mahatma Gandhi for the Khilafat Movement paved the way for partition and most of the trouble later on. For the first time we told the Muslims that they were Muslims first and Indians later.

Khilafat Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jinnah spoke bitterly about this as to how he was told that he was a Muslim first and then only an Indian later. This was in conext of election to Bombay Municipal corporation when he was asked to file his nomination for the seat reserved for Muslims.

By the way Bhutto who is a alumni of St. Xavier's College , Bombay fought for restoration of his father Nawab of Junagath's property in Indian courts and lost. One of the reasons for his animosity.

But we can also be very petty. When Jinnah left a substantial amount to his Alma meter Bombay University, we refused it. Jinnah was secular and never went to a Mosque. But he used religion as a means. He was proud of saying "We will have a secular Pakistan and a Hindu India."

Thanks for the post.

The "enemy property" dispute is a very vexed one. I remember reading a news report on recent Court observation or ruling on this matter. Pakistan is claiming the bungalow of Jinnah which is located at Malabar Hill. Nusli Wadia's mother (d/o Jinnah) is in a long drawn battle over the possesion of the same property.

One Raja of Mahmudabad (in U.P.) too was in the media recently over claims of his property.

When Gandhi was assassinated Jinnah was to say he was a "tall Hindu leader". The tragedy of Gandhi was that he displeased the Hindus, but could not convince the Muslim masses.

With regards,
Swami

Dear Sri SwamiTaBra Ji,

You have said:
"The tragedy of Gandhi was that he displeased the Hindus, but could not convince the Muslim masses."

Which 'Hindus' you speak of? Almost every Hindu home sported his Photo after independence and still does. I don't know what you are talking about. Did your family not join in the veneration of Gandhi Ji?

Regards,
KRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back