• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

‘Only aunties wear sarees? Ridiculous!’

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you have a pix that you can share with the public?

:)

I have nothing that I cannot share with the public. :)
In fact i do not even have as much as I like to share.
In those days 1966-1970 we had to the studio and
cough up a large sum to get the photo taken-
unless a family mmeber decided to take a photo.
The mundu set's cost was 10 to 12 rupees if it did have real silver zari.
I am sure a photo must have cost much more than that!

i would like to be around, whenever Kr lets go of the magical strings that hold up Vidya Balan's cholis .. or even settle with Nayantara ;)

.. btw no offence meant to Kr bhaktas. :)

Bhakti is also a form of deep love and admiration :hail:

except that it is directed towards a higher power. :angel:

2738d1369515614-only-aunties-wear-sarees-ridiculous-15dsc_0998.jpg

I am glad that Aurangzeb is NOT our King! Otherwise, what will be the fate of the saree maker?

Remember the 'muslin cloth' story? :)

All his creations are transparent but the figures inside them are not. :hail:

You can relate the story in great detail - since I also could not recollect it :decision:

If Aurang was around and ruling, sabyasachi would have produced

just ONE master piece in all his life - since he won't be around after that. :tsk:

....... 1. I used to pinch my close friends and I earned the nickname Killi VaLavan
2. the name of (I think) a PaaNdian king!
Foot notes missed:

1. V R mAm studied and worked in women's colleges.

Killivalavan was a Tamil king of the Early Cholas mentioned in Sangam Literature, and of a period close to

that of
Nedunkilli and Nalankilli. We have no definite details about this Chola or his reign. The only information

we have is from the fragmentary poems of Sangam in the
Purananuru. ( Source: Wikipedia)

Foot notes missed:

1. V R mAm studied and worked in women's colleges.

Killivalavan was a Tamil king of the Early Cholas mentioned in Sangam Literature, and of a period close to

that of
Nedunkilli and Nalankilli. We have no definite details about this Chola or his reign. The only information

we have is from the fragmentary poems of Sangam in the
Purananuru. ( Source: Wikipedia)

I pinched ONLY my school friends and not my college mates-

since by then I knew I should not pinch real good friends. :)

In Tamil pinch is called a KiLLu and the one who pinches is KiLLI.

VaLavan was just added for fun! :drama:

Thank you Raji for digging up these details from history! :thumb:

dear raji, you got me flummoxed here. what is the 'muslin cloth' story? thank you.
Here comes my story telling time! :)

Those days, weavers made the muslin cloth by passing the silk thread through a tiny hole made in the long-grown-nail of

their left thumb. These thin threads were then woven as the see-through muslin cloth. Aurangzeb's daughter was fascinated

by the muslin cloth. She bought several yards of that cloth and wound around her body several times and ran to the court!

The king was shocked to see his daughter who appeared as a nudist to him! (poor girl forgot to wear the inner garments, in

haste!) When he accused her for this, she told him that she WAS wearing several layers of the muslin cloth! Now Aurangzeb's

anger turned towards those weavers! He immediately ordered his soldiers to cut off (how cruel!!) the left thumbs of all the

muslin cloth weavers! Poor souls! :tsk:

Are you not reminded of Ekalavya's stroy in Mahabharatham?
(Ekalavya - Wikipedia)

Drona asked for Ekalavya's right thumb as 'Guru dhakshanai'; Aurangzeb's 'punishment' was similar - left thumb! :shocked:

Savasachin is one of the names of Arjuna of Mahabharata.
Ir means he is ambidextrous and can use his left hand as well as his left.
Small wonder Sabyasachi rakes money left, right and middle
since he has all the bigwigs under his feathers. :popcorn:

Here comes my story telling time! :)

Those days, weavers made the muslin cloth by passing the silk thread through a tiny hole made in the long-grown-nail of

their left thumb. These thin threads were then woven as the see-through muslin cloth. Aurangzeb's daughter was fascinated

by the muslin cloth. She bought several yards of that cloth and wound around her body several times and ran to the court!

The king was shocked to see his daughter who appeared as a nudist to him! (poor girl forgot to wear the inner garments, in

haste!) When he accused her for this, she told him that she WAS wearing several layers of the muslin cloth! Now Aurangzeb's

anger turned towards those weavers! He immediately ordered his soldiers to cut off (how cruel!!) the left thumbs of all the

muslin cloth weavers! Poor souls! :tsk:

Are you not reminded of Ekalavya's stroy in Mahabharatham?
(Ekalavya - Wikipedia)

Drona asked for Ekalavya's right thumb as 'Guru dhakshanai'; Aurangzeb's 'punishment' was similar - left thumb! :shocked:

So there have been EVAs all along the history...

who manage to forget/ditch/drop off the undies!!!:roleyes:

But, I know only your friend 'kiLLi Vimala' - still remember her fair boyish face - and was not aware of your 'title'! :noidea:

May be because I am junior to you. :becky:

When there are two kiLLis how else do you differentiate

between them than by giving two diffetrent titles??? :decision:

I also remember the way the fineness of the muslin cloth was measured.
The smallest ring through which the cloth can be passed-after weaving.
Smaller the ring- more transparent and costlier the material was.

Talking of strings........ I remember one funny episode during my co-ed masters degree course.

One very fair, tall and plump professor whom we (means I ) nicknamed 'fridge' (uncle had a white huge fridge at home)

came to our class one day, with a long white string (nAdA) dangling down in front of his trouser! OMG! We were six girls

in our class and had tough time controlling the burst of laughter! The boys were all sitting as if nothing was wrong!! The

prof. finished the 45 minutes class in the same 'avtAr'. Later we started scolding the leader for not taking the prof outside

to tell his condition. BTW, frenchie type u.wears were very much available with nice elastic bands those days and I still

wonder how our dear prof chose that 'stringed beauty'!! :D

P.S: Uncle was my guardian for two years and I stayed with him and aunt! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back