• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

குரல் மாறிய குறள்

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

குரல் மாறிய குறள்

if valluvar was alive, today, it is probable that he would have composed the below.

passing it on to the public, courtesy of email from internet...

modern thirukkural.jpg

i apologize for the small print. if you click on it, it pops up into a readable format :)

namaste shrI kunjuppu.

You might have heard of a popular 'kuRaL joke' during the time the British ruled India:

Tie kaTTi vAzhvArE vAzhvAr -- maRRellAM
kai kaTTi pin chelbavar

Only those who wear a Tie will have a good life and all the rest will be underdogs.

Just remembered another one we made up in school, being fond of reading TamizhvANan stories:

thuppArkkut thuppAya thuppAkkit thuppArkkut
thuppAya thUum thazai.

For a detective (thuppAr), his main help in detection (thuppAya) is the gun (thuppAkki) he holds; and for the detective,
for detectiion (thuppAya), another thing that helps--thUum, (is the) money--thazai.

(Although 'thazai' does not mean 'money' literally, we used it for the pocket money given by our fathers: appA thazhai pOTTArA?)

Last edited:
If Valluvar WERE alive today,

he would have wished that :tsk:

he had never written Kural :nono:

which forms the basis of

many KIRALS / JOKES/ :caked:

Modern Kurals and :croc:

God Knows what else!

My favourite 'kurals'.....

அகர முதல எழுத்தெல்லாம் தகரப் பலகையில்
எழுதப் படும்.

One connected to cricket....
சிக்ஸர் அடித்துக் குவித்தாரே வாழ்ந்தார் - மற்றெல்லாம்
சிங்கள் அடித்தே சாவார்.

Cheers!

Dear Friends,

I posted this page in my thread just a few minutes back! Since more members read the GD section,

copy pasting the SAME here.... Easy job :)

தயவுசெய்து நகைச்சுவை உணர்வுடன் படிக்க வேண்டுகிறேன்.

முன்னுரை:

பலமாதங்கள் குறளில் 'ஊறியதால்' சிலகுறட்பா
எழுதுவதில் மிகஆனந் தமே.

எண்ணித் thread - இல் நுழைக நுழைந்தபின்
எண்ணுவம் என்பது இழுக்கு.

Copyசெய்தல் இனிது அதனினும் இனிது
Copy-paste செய்து இடல்.

எங்குpost இட்டாலும் உய்வுண்டாம் உய்வில்லை
இங்குGDயில் postசெய் பவர்க்கு.

Yahooஇனிது Rediffஇனிது என்பர் Gmailஇல்
தமிழ்font எழுதா தவர்.

எந்தquote எங்குகண் டாலும் அதைஎடுத்து
இந்தforumஇல் போடுவது அறிவு.

மெம்பரில் பெருந்தக்க யாவுள நம்பிடும்
நண்பர்படை உண்டாகப் பெறின்.

நூல்ஆரம்பித்தல் வசைகள் போடல் அதுவல்லது
நூதனம்இல்லை மெம்பர் களுக்கு.

வேண்டிய பக்கபலம் தரும்நண்பர் சேர்ந்தோர்க்கு
யாண்டும் இடும்பை இல.

Adminis tarorஇன் மாணடி சேர்ந்தார்
Forumஇல் நீடுவாழ் வார்.

Last but not the least!!

ஓபோட்டு வாழ்வாரே வாழ்வார் மற்றவரைப்
போவென்று பின்தள்ளு வார்.

:decision: . . . :typing:

My post # 3 has been proved BEYOND all doubts

in UNMISTAKABLE term twice already!

Poor Valluvar must be turning and twisting in his heavenly

abode for having committed this Himalayan (mistake?)

task! :doh:

திருவள்ளுவர் என்னை மன்னிப்பாராக! :hail:

அவருக்குத் தெரியாதா, 'இடுக்கண் வருங்கால் நகுக' என்று? :pound:

Some months back Sangom and HH joked about the gAyatrI mantra of various deities by composing gAyatris on MK and other worldly subjects. Is our intention here is to insult VaLLuvar and his kuRaL? Possible, but it is also a fact that kuRaL veNbA is a Tamizh poetic metre and what we have composed it resembles this form.

............ Is our intention here is to insult VaLLuvar and his kuRaL? Possible, but it is also a fact that kuRaL veNbA is a Tamizh poetic metre and what we have composed it resembles this form.

My intention is NOT to insult ThiruvaLLuvar or his ThirukkuraL, respected Sir! I try to follow at least a few of his 'KuraL's

in my life. I have a very great regard for the very great poet. Otherwise, I will not be posting the long write-ups captioned

'வள்ளுவரைப் போற்றுவோம்!', in one of my threads.

You might have noticed my 'request' to read my post in this thread, 'with a sense of humour'!

I take this opportunity to thank Kunjuppu Sir, for his giving his 'like' to my post! :)

(I have been missing his comments in my threads for quite some time!)

Dear Mr. saidevo,

Do you still doubt the INTENTION of the thread?

Look for the LIKES of the thread starter and the throngs of people who imagine themselves to be equal to Valluvar!

As I believe No good deed goes unpunished - whether he is Valluvar or Kambar.

I think it should include both of us also, since we try in vain to drive in some good sense in the minds of people who have closed, locked and double bolted the doors of their minds.

I am sure none of these 'poets' know the meter or rules of writing a venba .

But they replace the popular kurals with sarcastic and perverted words and think that they are rendering yeomen service to Tamil Venba!

I should have kept away - used my discrimination and listened to my good sense.

But Valluvar and Kural are TOO GREAT to be tarnished by a handful of people!

Some months back Sangom and HH joked about the gAyatrI mantra of various deities by composing gAyatris on MK and other worldly subjects. Is our intention here is to insult VaLLuvar and his kuRaL? Possible, but it is also a fact that kuRaL veNbA is a Tamizh poetic metre and what we have composed it resembles this form.

More people watch light music shows than classical concerts!

More people read SENSATIONAL news papers than sensible ones!

More people watch talk shows than religious discourses!

The collection for a record dance will be several times that for a classical recital!

NOW you may draw your inference!

Quick response!! My 'calculation' is right! :peace:

ThiruvaLLuvar is not alive now. So the 'poetess' of this forum need not get worked up!

:rant: . . . :nono:

My favourite 'kurals'.....

அகர முதல எழுத்தெல்லாம் தகரப் பலகையில்
எழுதப் படும்.

One connected to cricket....
சிக்ஸர் அடித்துக் குவித்தாரே வாழ்ந்தார் - மற்றெல்லாம்
சிங்கள் அடித்தே சாவார்.

Cheers!

Raghy, How about -
ஆறடித்து வாழ்வோரே வாழ்வார்
மற்றோர் ஸிங்கிளுக்கு ஓடியே சாவார்

தயவுசெய்து நகைச்சுவை உணர்வுடன் படிக்க வேண்டுகிறேன்.

The problem Mrs. RR, is, whether Thiruvalluvar would have sense of humor anymore than the self appointed defenders of Thirvalluvar's honor and the meter rules.

Thiruvalluvar, whom I respect very highly in spite of his views on women, one that is certainly not timeless, seems like what one might call patronizing patriarch -- IMO, the tall statue to him down south is a metaphor for what sort of a man he might have been.

So, I won't be surprised if he is too uptight, a little devoid of sense of humor, and take same offense expressed here to the innocent fun people are having with the mighty kural venpa meter. But, as you rightly observe, he is not alive to take offense, or care. Let us have some harmless fun. Keep it coming. I know a kural venpaa, one about Saroja Devi, a really vulgar one, so I won't write it here :).

Cheers!

T........ 1. Let us have some harmless fun. Keep it coming.

2. I know a kural venpaa, one about Saroja Devi, a really vulgar one, so I won't write it here :)

1. Thank you Prof. Sir! The first nine short verses came in my mind, when I got up this morning...

I have posted the 10th one already somewhere else!

2. இந்த Forum -ன் 'மானம்' காத்ததற்கு மிக்க நன்றி! :high5: . . . :angel:

Hello RR,
Your sense of Humar is really good.Pl, post more like this.It is only to read and enjoy and not to worry about the Grammar or wether Thiruvalluar is going to feel bad etc.
Alwan

Let me - a Kerala Iyer - also try my luck in framing kuRaLs. Don't throw stones at me please!

வள்ளுவர் சொன்ன குறள் அரிது ஆனால்
சொல்லுவர் பலதிங்கு bore

வெண்பா இதில்லை யென்பர் பெரியோர்
தன்பால் மதியில்லை எனில்

Last edited:

I always address you as 'Respected Sangom Sir'! So please act accordingly, at least in the threads in which

lady members participate.

Prof. Nara wanted to have harmless fun. I add to that - Please, let us have DECENT fun too!!

I would request you to delete 'those' lines and Kunjuppu Sir to delete the post quoting 'those' lines!

Thank you.

It really hurts, Sir! :whip:

I always address you as 'Respected Sangom Sir'! So please act accordingly, at least in the threads in which

lady members participate.

Prof. Nara wanted to have harmless fun. I add to that - Please, let us have DECENT fun too!!

I would request you to delete 'those' lines and Kunjuppu Sir to delete the post quoting 'those' lines!

Thank you.

It really hurts, Sir! :whip:

Smt. Raji Ram,

Since I do not want any controversy, I have deleted the lines . But I would like you to introspect whether there is need to be so prudish as to shame even the victorians. Shri Nara said what he knew was "vulgar", but this is a simple modification of a very commonly cited saying among the tabras (in TN also, I suppose) which asserts that even if hundred men will unite (for some cause) it is very rare that two women agree on anything.

I also am reminded of the days of the Maharaja here in Travancore; the route for him will be sprinkled with sea sand inside the Padmanabhaswamy Temple so that wherever he treads is soft on the feet and they don't get hurt!

Last edited:
Respected Sangom Sir,

Good morning from Boston. Let me first thank you and Kunjuppu Sir, for your prompt actions. When I posted some fun

couplet poems about this forum, Smt. V. R. started 'firing' me! It was quite an unexpected attack and upset me a lot.

Then, when I read your post, the words in one poem did hurt me. May be, I could have requested you more politely.

If you feel offended, I am really sorry! You are a veteran and hope you will excuse me!

Regards,
Raji Ram :)

Now my two cents:

நூறுஆண்கள் இருப்பினும் வராத சத்தம்
இருபெண்கள் இருப்பின் வரும்! :fencing:

When I posted some fun

couplet poems about this forum, Smt. V. R. started 'firing' me! It was quite an unexpected attack and upset me a lot.

Smt. Raji Ram,

I could glean that much and also which perhaps of your couplets might have caused the firing across the peaceful border. That was what led me to write about "unity" rather than சத்தம் as you now say.

My only regret is that your hurt was not only personal but a general "vakkaalat" for threads in which lady members (might decide to) participate. Sitting in Boston, it should be real tough task for anyone to hold on to 19th. century Grundyism.

Anyway we will now ask ourselves "What would Mrs. Grundy say?" before posting anything. :)

Then, when I read your post, the words in one poem did hurt me. May be, I could have requested you more politely.

If you feel offended, I am really sorry! You are a veteran and hope you will excuse me!

Your request was couched in polite words, of course and I have no quarrel on that. To express myself more openly, I am wondering whether a person who frequents US of A in the year 2011 of our Lord need to be so prudish?

Now my two cents:

நூறுஆண்கள் இருப்பினும் வராத சத்தம்
இருபெண்கள் இருப்பின் வரும்! :fencing:
Nice, but as I said noise can signify unity also.

I am born and brought up in Coimbatore district, respected Sangom sir!

My visits to the US of A will never change me! Wish to always be like :angel: .......... :)

Dear Kunjuppu

Is this thread just restricted to modern versions of 'Thirukkural'? Of not, I would like to post some very interesting and naughty version of 'Raghu Pathy Raghava Raja Ram'! :)

I will do/do not do so after seeing your reply next weekend.

Kind regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back