• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ஓ அமெரிக்கா ...

For Pumpkin lovers....... Pumpkin pie!! :thumb:

Picture courtesy: Wikipedia

640px-Pumpkin-Pie-Whole-Slice.jpg
hi
just i was discussing in my home abt pumpkin pie and mash potatoes....its better pumpkin in our SAMBAR and potatoes curry ....our

foods are tasty and good than this thanksgiving dishes.....pumpkin sambar with potatoes curry...nice combination than this pie

and tasteless mash potatoes...lol

Raji Madam
Please correct some of your wrong observations about American women, Tamil couple etc
as these will give wrong feed back back home. You are not a moral police either for American women or Tamilians working over there. You went there as a "mother" to help your family.You have no right to write about American women, Tamil couples etc.
You got talent and you can change those unwanted observations about American Culture, American women, and Tamil couple by correcting/editing the poem.
I hope you understand the importance of this.
Regards
Padmanabhan.J

Last edited:

Dear friends,

I have written about the good and bad I saw in the U S of A and P J Sir raises objections to a few of my observations.

The world is full of people with different outlooks. I did not write that everything and everyone is bad there and I hope

you all agree with me. When so many of the Tambram customs and traditions are commented upon in this forum, many

members only support it. Even in many Indian movies the Tambrams are taunted and teased and there is no uproar.

But when something is written about the U S of A, objections are raised. I request you to read these write-ups only as

my observations. Hope I am clear.

P.S: My forum friend who gave five stars to this thread is also one NRI.

I have nausea and feel giddy, if I eat pumpkin / drumstick. :dizzy:

Allergic reactions to pumpkin - Source: Allergic Reaction To Pumpkin | LIVESTRONG.COM

Symptoms usually occur soon after eating pumpkins and are sometimes described as oral allergy syndrome. They include

itching of the mouth, swelling of the lips and face, generalized itching, and shortness of breath. You may also have abdominal

pain, nausea or vomiting. Serious reactions to fruit allergies are extremely rare.

When people write about a country they visit, they can write only from their perspective. It is not correct to attach a value judgement to those writings. Usually/normally an observant writer sees many things (something right or something may not be so right) that a person living in that country fails to notice. The visitors to a country may look for those things and write what the differences are in his/her own words.

It is up to the intelligent readers to discriminate what is appropriate for one to take and what to leave - Imposing ones constraint robs the creativity of a writer.

Here is Alaister Cooke's Alistair Cooke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia perspective on America - broadcast as "Letters from America" from 1947 till 2010. If one wants to look at a different perspective - There are plenty - (Alaister Cooke is one of favorite journalists) -

BBC Radio 4 - Letter from America by Alistair Cooke - Episodes by date, April 2010

If one reads Paul Theroux's Train travel through India The Great Railway Bazaar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
portions of it one may not like them (what he says about India - specifically GT express - in Chapter 12) - He can only write what he sees. To be fairer to him he wrote another book about his travel by taking the same route twenty years later - Ghost Train to the Eastern Star: On the Tracks of the Great Railway Bazaar One can see how his own perspectives changed along with the changes in the world.

Dear friends,

I have written about the good and bad I saw in the U S of A and P J Sir raises objections to a few of my observations.

The world is full of people with different outlooks. I did not write that everything and everyone is bad there and I hope

you all agree with me. When so many of the Tambram customs and traditions are commented upon in this forum, many

members only support it. Even in many Indian movies the Tambrams are taunted and teased and there is no uproar.

But when something is written about the U S of A, objections are raised. I request you to read these write-ups only as

Madam,

I am slightly disappointed that you have chosen to write an "explanation". I thought your initial response that your postings in this thread are a sort of "travelogue" should have been sufficient to ignore further posts asking/demanding edit/deletion in your postings.

The gentleman who brought to your kind notice that you are not a "moral police" did not say who appointed him as a "reader police" that your posts should pass his scrutiny. Further, he has assumed the role of sole certifying authority for "vakra buddhi" and after tests and experiments which are not specified has certified that "only some Indians, that too those visiting the great US of A for the first time exhibit such vakram tendencies.

His statement in msg # 171 " This is totally not true." is also flummoxing in the sense that if he means that the message posted by you is "totally not true (i.e. false) you are peddling in lies and he should give up reading your posts instead of asking/demanding changes in your posts.

This is just to re-assure you that readers like me, all understand that you are giving your impressions/perspectives about the green-card/green-back currency country. Please continue your postings unhindered.

Last edited:
Raji Madam
Please correct some of your wrong observations about American women, Tamil couple etc
as these will give wrong feed back back home. You are not a moral police either for American women or Tamilians working over there. You went there as a "mother" to help your family.You have no right to write about American women, Tamil couples etc.
You got talent and you can change those unwanted observations about American Culture, American women, and Tamil couple by correcting/editing the poem.
I hope you understand the importance of this.
Regards
Padmanabhan.J

Hi Padmanabhan.

Greetings.

Please do not read this note as a censure to your above quoted post. Mine is more of an observation re your composition, and what I perceive as an admonition of the good lady Raji.

I should confess, that I have been away very long from this forum, though once in a while, poike my head here, read a few posts (Raji’s mostly) and pass on.

But this note from you, sort of forces me, to intervene, not necessarily on Raji's behalf, but on a general human element, ie observation during one’s travels, ie wherever we go, whatever we see, we have an opinion. You may call it, as viewing a society through coloured glasses, but is this not true?

From your note above, you have stated your views. Apparently it is one, which is contradictory to what Raji feels. That is ok. Our views are a reflection of our experiences, background and above all, our tolerances.

You have asked Raji to 'you can change those unwanted observations about American Culture, American women, and Tamil couple by correcting/editing the poem...' . Change to what, may I ask? Change to what you tell her to write? Change to your viewpoint? Change to reflect your views?

No Sir. Then it would not be Raji's unique view. Right? As you yourself commented, Raji is an excellent poet and writer, and I think, this is more a reflection of her talent to express what she feels. If she were to pen your views, I am quite sure, that she would come out only second best, and you yourself might be disappointed.

So, what I suggest, if you dont mind that is, to come up with cogent and logical arguements, as to why Raji may be erroneous or (heaven forbid) opinionated !!

To quote you again, ' I hope you understand the importance of this.’ ie a polite analytical and intelligent reply; Let me look forward to that..

You could go a step further, and detail us with your travelogues. And perhaps, give us the pleasure, of viewing the tint of your glasses, and maybe, giving you the benefit of our differences – opinions or otherwise?

And meanwhile, let dear Raji, continue to pen with the same gusto, her cheery and sharp observations of life in god’s own country.

Thank You.

Dear Sir kunjuppu

Post no5
சூரிய ஒளி கண்டுவிட்டால் ஆடைக் குறைப்பு ஆரம்பம்!

வேதனைதான் தோன்றும் இந்த மதி கெட்ட மாதர் கண்டு!

Do you all approve Using the word
மதி கெட்ட மாதர் ?

It is not only in US, but also in UK, they wish to take advantage of Sun rays and expose their body. Even i Europe
they do it.
What is that the write expect to change? wear a saree?
If ever the writer visits any Arab country, can she write any thing about any Arab women
in any Forum? about the way they are all covered from head to toe?

Poem no 12

நான் கண்ட தமிழர் பலர்
ஆண் பெண் பேதமின்றித்

தோள் அணைத்து வாழ்த்துவதைக்
கண்டு கொஞ்சம் கூசினேன்!

‘ நாடு விட்டு நாடு வந்தால்
நாணமின்றிப் போகுமோ?

What is the meaning of
தமிழர் பலர்?

This is branding many Tamilians as if they are not aware of their surroundings.

How many such cases the writer could have seen? branding the whole as
நாணமின்றி seems to be too much.
Most of us in this Form are Tamilians first.
The word
பலர் means many, is it not?

Many Tamilian parents are sending their daughter to US, will they not be afraid when they read such posts?
This gives a very wrong feed back back homeCan the writer post such "Kavithagal' in Kumudam, Murasoli, Dinamalar?

Post no 13
இவர்கள் எல்லோரும் சட்டத்தை மதிப்பார்கள்! – ஆனால்
இவர்களில் பல்லோர் கற்பை மதிப்பதில்லை!

Visiting for the first time as a Mother to help her family, and branding many Americans like this unthinkable.

How and where from the writer got all the statistics to write like that?

Will it not give a wrong feed back back home to some who want to harass foreign women, thinking

they are easy pray?

‘பெண்கள் விடுதலை’ – எனச் சொல்லி, இந்தப்
பெண்கள் அடிக்கும் கூத்துக்களைக் கண்டால்,

Has the writer visited any night clubs to write this?

பெண்கள் அடிக்கும் கூத்துக்களைக் கண்டால்,

Normally, parents who go there visit only tourists spots
only, not any American Ladies hostel, or Night clubs

Post 14
சுதந்திரம் எனச் சொல்லி,

ஒவ்வொருவரும் கட்டுப்பாட்டை வெறுக்கின்றனரே!

ஓ!! இதுதான் அமெரிக்க வாழ்க்கையோ?

ஔவையார் இக் கலாச்சாரம் கண்டால்,

‘ஃ’ – ஆயுத எழுத்தால் தாக்குவாளோ?

A mother going to US for the first time to help her daughter for 6 months, how she comes to know
the American Girls behavior? Each race, country got different culture, why the writer says

ஔவையார் இக் கலாச்சாரம் கண்டால்,

‘ஃ’ – ஆயுத எழுத்தால் தாக்குவாளோ?

Post 15
இயற்கையே இவ்வாறு இருப்பதால்தானோ – இங்கு
இல்லாளாய் மாறும் முன் சிலர் தாயாக மாறுகின்றாரோ?

Is this not happening in India? Why find fault with nature there?
Again this will give wrong feed back back home to parents.

I appreciate most of Smt Raji Madam's poems, but some are
giving wrong signals back home to the parents of the girls would be going over there.

I am now visiting UK/Wales, the weather is very chill, and not more than 10 F, so i do not need any TINTED GLASS Sir

Writing poems is a great gift, and should not be used it to criticize any culture, behavior of any community.

Regards

Padmanabhan.J

Last edited:
Dear Prof. M S K Sir,

Thank you very much for the links you have given in your post. Thanks for the understanding. :)

Regards,
Raji Ram

............ I am slightly disappointed that you have chosen to write an "explanation". .....
Dear Narayanan Sir,

The unedited post which was in my mail box and a couple of PMs from PJ Sir made me write an explanation. Even after saying that

I have recorded only my views, his objection continues. Hence I wrote to all my friends. :)

Thank you very much for these encouraging words:

This is just to re-assure you that readers like me, all understand that you are giving your impressions/perspectives about the
green-card/green-back
currency country. Please continue your postings unhindered.

Regards,
Raji Ram

Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

I am elated to see you back! :) Your timely support is very much appreciated. Thanks a lot, Sir.

Once a write-up about 'சராசரி இந்தியக் கணவர்கள்' was objected by one of our members and that time

Prof. Nara Sir came to my support. I can never forget my friends who encourage me and I always write,

'தங்கள் ஊக்கம் எந்தன் ஆக்கம்!'

Dear friends,

hi RR madam,
nothing to worry abt somebody's reactions....u can continue ur write ups....if somebody do not like ur write ups...just ignore

him.....we saw many like this....many came here....many gone exile.....if anybody does not like...no need to read...thats all....

dont try to give explanations.......we are living in this country USA...more than decades....if he is green card holder....

he has to know good and bad of this country....just some time....some time they want to fill their minimum requirement

of threads/participation...just ignore...move on as u like....

Dear TBS Sir,

Thank you very much for your feed back. Hope you are enjoying the long week end with your family. :)

Regards,
Raji Ram

Dear PJ sir,

Cool Cool down Sir.. Just by reading few lines of Ms.RR Maam's views not even a single family from Chennai or for that matter TN is not going to stop her ward from going there. Have we not seen so many things of USand A in films and TV shows.
People who have read and seen, have ignored all that and are standing in Queue if front of US embassy from 3am in the morning!! Cheers to that!! Please skip the thread or if you like RR maams tamil and her control of language and poems please enjoy like so many of us do. Dont go so deep into what & why!!! Enjoy her sheer mastery of the sublect she is taking day in day out and converting them to poems for us to enjoy!!

Enjoy like us and please cool down, and contnue posting. As mentioned in one the threads you have so much information up your sleeve... Spread smile & happiness around. Thats what Mrs.RR maam does in this forum.

Cheers

Dear Sri,manoharkumar sir
Respect your view Sir , I have nothing personally against anyone here; in fact I appreciated the writer about a poem also, I enjoy reading some of the writer’s poems too.
please refer my post no 161. and she accepted my post in post no 163

Branding the whole American women as மதி கெட்ட மாதர் for someone visiting US for the first time, shows the writer's ignorance about different culture which the writer should acknowledge it and correct it. Even in UK and Europe, men and women wish to receive Sun rays during summer as unlike in India, parts of Europe,US does not get Sun shine throughout the year.

Again writing about தமிழர் பலர்,தோள் அணைத்து வாழ்த்துவதைக்
கண்டு கொஞ்சம் கூசினேன்!

Most Tamilians who work there, are very well educated, and they are all very well aware of what they are doing when they go out with their spouses; the writer could have noticed one or two cases of closeness between the couples, definitely not பலர், which means many; how many 100 or 200?
Here again, the writer gives wrong perception about Tamil couple, and how they behave outside; my point is that, can the writer
pen such poems and send it to Ananda Vikatan,Kumudham, Dinamalar, or Murosoli? In the same way, the writer should be more responsible in when writing in this Brahmin Forum also.

We all read how foreign women become the target of harassment in places of India, and also in Tamil nadu.
Writing இவர்களில் பல்லோர் கற்பை மதிப்பதில்லை, will create an impression among sex offenders that they can easily target American women. Being there for 6 months to help the family, i really wonder, how the writer got all information about பல்லோர், losing their chastity.

Another observation made by the writer about American girls 'பெண்கள் அடிக்கும் கூத்துக்களை'
To form such an opinion, one must have moved with American girls for quite some time, and one can not just form an opinion seeing movies. The writer also criticizes American கலாச்சாரம் and says ஔவையார் ஆயுத எழுத்தால் தாக்குவாளோ? What is the basis for this?

The worst line in see here about American Girls
Post 15
இயற்கையே இவ்வாறு இருப்பதால்தானோ – இங்கு
இல்லாளாய் மாறும் முன் சிலர் தாயாக மாறுகின்றாரோ?

Fortunately the writer mentions சிலர் , and the same number of சிலர் are also probably , can find in any country including in India

A writer should be able to defend his/her writing if the writer is confident of his/ her writings; when one is pathetically

out of the subject, he may call others to support.
When she tried to defend her points, and tried to find fault with my lion posting in another write up.

I tried to send a private mail to the writer, narrating all these, but somehow it did not go.
I wrote a long write up like this, and later on thought, that the writer herself would realize the mistake
and edited it posted it , please refer my post number 168.

But she came out openly defending her points, hence further posts.

One simple question, i would like to ask

If the writer visits any Arab country, see how the women are dressed up, will the write write about women of Arabs, liberation Etc. Surely not because, the writer will not have sufficient information about Arab Culture, etc
In the same way, American Culture etc is not an open book, and anyone commenting upon their culture without any deep study is is regrettable.

I am not here to correct anyone, only to point out a possibility of error or judgement in her very few of her poems.
Even while i was on this, i wrote to her under Interaction between NRI and parents , please refer my posts about Sai Samithi, Oversaes Medical Insurance, Reliable Travel Agent and cockroach killer tablets etc dated 20/11/2012/ and she also acknowledged it.
please refer my posts no 6,7,8,9. she also ackowledged it.

She is doing great, and wish her more such poems, but without touching the sentiments of either Tamil Couples, American women etc
I hope you understand my points also the writer.
God bless you

(PS.. Ratha Katteri is in the process of making.. ha ha..you will see it soon)

Regards

Padmanabhan.J

Edited: Please also look her criticism of other culture / behavior from the angle of Guide lines of this Forum.

Last edited:
Dear Padmanabhan,

Thank You for your reply.

Let me discount the obvious ‘poetic licence’ that Raji has rightfully earned for ourselves. And focus on the three points that you have highlighted without mincing words – clothes, hugging and sex.

The first thing we should remember, is the author – she is a tradition bound lady from Chennai – to the best of our culture born and bred. She is seeing USA through her glasses. I don’t know where you live, but when I came to Canada 39 years ago, I immediately formed opinions, which have slowly withered away, and on the first instance, my reaction to Raji’s note would be similar to that of yours.

But, I needed to take a deep breath and put myself in her shoes. This was not all that difficult, as I just had to transpose myself in time to 1973….

Clothes: is it not true that westerners wear clothes from a sensibility viewpoint based on the weather. We have extremes, and with the winter comes the heavy sweaters and overcoats. These are replaced with lighter cotton, and with heat, mostly tshirts and shorts. Then there are special places such as beaches, where even skimpier wear is the norm. and some rarer places, where ‘no clothes’ is the order of the day. I don’t see anything wrong in Raji’s observations per se.

Contrast this to our country, where cotton rules – we have a mono weather more or less – with saris or churidars providing comfort, hygiene and modesty. I think I have hit the key word ‘modesty’ here. Particularly for women. Modesty is a definition of a society. To display a female leg is a source of pride in the west, and considered immodest in the east. Raji is an easterner, whereas Indians long living in the west, have acclimatized themselves to the western culture and see no wrong in display of more female body. Infact most of the women in their own household discard clothes to the cultural norm of their adopted homeland. Otherwise we would still be seeing sari or churdar clad mammies in the malls and offices of USA. Which we don’t.

Hugging: is it not true, that with close friends, hugging is a norm. I would hugh all my close Indian friends, regardless of sex. The key word is ‘close’ as it otherwise would spell ‘harassment’. But even to this day, I would not hug my sister. Have never hugged my mum or dad. And (ofcourse) none on my inlaws’ side. Whereas ‘what is simply not done in India’ is the norm here. Do we have to fault Raji for observing and commenting on this?

Finally sex: Let us look at statistics and I think, the attitude towards sex is one of gleeful exercise in the west, sans morality. It is neither right. Nor wrong. I feel so. It just is. Coming from the prudish attitudes which tambrams have towards sex, anyone from India would be surprised at the open attitude towards s.e.x. here in the west. That does not necessarily mean there is no extra or pre marital sex in India. It is just kept under cover. Also I suspect, there is more of sex related assaults, on a per capita basis in India than in the west, where everything is out in the open. Again, barring a small section of promiscuity, most folks, in the west, I feel, have only one partner at a time.

Having said all this, I feel, this type of explanation, must be more in order to address Raji’s concerns. That we who live in the west, are all, NOT displayers of our private parts in public, gropers of the other sex or freely have a ‘quickie’ with a guest, between drinks or dinner& coffee.

Raji is a poet and she is sparse of words to convey her observations. This is the poetic licence and rightfully so. Which is why it is a delight to read poetry, for the same stanza can be put to multiple interpretations. You have yours. Which you found offensive. I have mine. In which I was delighted and chuckled.

I still am at loggerheads with you, for your statement, that Raji’s poem, might incent certain Indian parents to avoid sending their daughters to the USA for further studies. Lots of problems in YOUR statements – why only daughters…is the first. Then are these folks so dense, that they do not know enough, or ask enough to get the true picture. Also, this is a chance for the daughters to convince the parents of their chastitiy vows and what not.

I think today, with over 50 years of migration of tambram students to the west, there is atleast one person from an average middle class family who resides in the west, and is sort of a role model. So the fear of going wayward should be discounted.

And to your plea for Raji to withdraw her comments – I think that is not a proper thing to ask. In my previous avatar here, I had folks who responded to some of my views with the same arguments. I refused ofcourse. For when you shut down an idea, without meeting it head on, you accept your own weakness and fears. Fears builds phantoms, which are more frightful than the original cause of the fear itself. Let us, those who disagree, take a deep breath, sit down and retaliate with logic and reason. Not with anger or force.

Thank You,.

Dear Padmanabhan,

Thank You for your reply.

Let me discount the obvious ‘poetic licence’ that Raji has rightfully earned for ourselves. And focus on the three points that you have highlighted without mincing words – clothes, hugging and sex.

The first thing we should remember, is the author – she is a tradition bound lady from Chennai – to the best of our culture born and bred. She is seeing USA through her glasses. I don’t know where you live, but when I came to Canada 39 years ago, I immediately formed opinions, which have slowly withered away, and on the first instance, my reaction to Raji’s note would be similar to that of yours.

But, I needed to take a deep breath and put myself in her shoes. This was not all that difficult, as I just had to transpose myself in time to 1973….

Clothes: is it not true that westerners wear clothes from a sensibility viewpoint based on the weather. We have extremes, and with the winter comes the heavy sweaters and overcoats. These are replaced with lighter cotton, and with heat, mostly tshirts and shorts. Then there are special places such as beaches, where even skimpier wear is the norm. and some rarer places, where ‘no clothes’ is the order of the day. I don’t see anything wrong in Raji’s observations per se.

Contrast this to our country, where cotton rules – we have a mono weather more or less – with saris or churidars providing comfort, hygiene and modesty. I think I have hit the key word ‘modesty’ here. Particularly for women. Modesty is a definition of a society. To display a female leg is a source of pride in the west, and considered immodest in the east. Raji is an easterner, whereas Indians long living in the west, have acclimatized themselves to the western culture and see no wrong in display of more female body. Infact most of the women in their own household discard clothes to the cultural norm of their adopted homeland. Otherwise we would still be seeing sari or churdar clad mammies in the malls and offices of USA. Which we don’t.

Hugging: is it not true, that with close friends, hugging is a norm. I would hugh all my close Indian friends, regardless of sex. The key word is ‘close’ as it otherwise would spell ‘harassment’. But even to this day, I would not hug my sister. Have never hugged my mum or dad. And (ofcourse) none on my inlaws’ side. Whereas ‘what is simply not done in India’ is the norm here. Do we have to fault Raji for observing and commenting on this?

Finally sex: Let us look at statistics and I think, the attitude towards sex is one of gleeful exercise in the west, sans morality. It is neither right. Nor wrong. I feel so. It just is. Coming from the prudish attitudes which tambrams have towards sex, anyone from India would be surprised at the open attitude towards s.e.x. here in the west. That does not necessarily mean there is no extra or pre marital sex in India. It is just kept under cover. Also I suspect, there is more of sex related assaults, on a per capita basis in India than in the west, where everything is out in the open. Again, barring a small section of promiscuity, most folks, in the west, I feel, have only one partner at a time.

Having said all this, I feel, this type of explanation, must be more in order to address Raji’s concerns. That we who live in the west, are all, NOT displayers of our private parts in public, gropers of the other sex or freely have a ‘quickie’ with a guest, between drinks or dinner& coffee.

Raji is a poet and she is sparse of words to convey her observations. This is the poetic licence and rightfully so. Which is why it is a delight to read poetry, for the same stanza can be put to multiple interpretations. You have yours. Which you found offensive. I have mine. In which I was delighted and chuckled.

I still am at loggerheads with you, for your statement, that Raji’s poem, might incent certain Indian parents to avoid sending their daughters to the USA for further studies. Lots of problems in YOUR statements – why only daughters…is the first. Then are these folks so dense, that they do not know enough, or ask enough to get the true picture. Also, this is a chance for the daughters to convince the parents of their chastitiy vows and what not.

I think today, with over 50 years of migration of tambram students to the west, there is atleast one person from an average middle class family who resides in the west, and is sort of a role model. So the fear of going wayward should be discounted.

And to your plea for Raji to withdraw her comments – I think that is not a proper thing to ask. In my previous avatar here, I had folks who responded to some of my views with the same arguments. I refused ofcourse. For when you shut down an idea, without meeting it head on, you accept your own weakness and fears. Fears builds phantoms, which are more frightful than the original cause of the fear itself. Let us, those who disagree, take a deep breath, sit down and retaliate with logic and reason. Not with anger or force.

Thank You,.

Shri Kunjuppu,

As you very well know, this forum generally does not take kindly to any criticism of our culture, heritage, scriptures and ways of life. Any criticism of India is also not tolerated by Indians, as is evident from Mahatma Gandhi's observation of "drain inspector's report" to Katherine Mayo's book "Mother India". Hence, it becomes our duty also not to go 'ultra vires' in judging another country, I feel.

I agree that Smt. RR has not published a book and has only posted a small poem (Is this the nature of today's Tamil poems?) in this Forum. But, to the extent that the said poem was a general assessment of a different country (just as Mrs. Mayo's book was), I feel the licence (poetic or personal, whatever it may be) could definitely have been moderated by better sense, second look, etc., imho.

Also, how far can one be assured that our own kith and kin in the US are/will continue to be, in anyway different from the hugging, baring, etc., population? Is it not then like spitting while lying on one's own back (மலர்ந்து படுத்து துப்புவது)?

Last edited:

Dear Sangom Sir,

Thank you very much for your comments. I am aware that my kith and kin who live in the U S of A might change slowly to the

culture of the land they live in.
Till the dollar is more than fifty times the Indian Rupee, the immigration is sure to continue....

If faults were found in my write-ups, why no one was raising any objection for more than two years? I am surprised by the

sudden postmortem that is going on in full swing! Did I ever say that others should take my views as 'the judgement'. And,

for your kind information, the same posts were well received in another ladies forum too! :)

kunjuppu Sir,

To me it seems, that you formed an opinion before you read my reply to you; Please go through my reply to your earlier post as well as my reply to Sri.mohankumar sir.
Probably that will give you the basis of my objections to you.
You seems to have given complete green signal to RR to criticize other culture in the name of her poetic view.
As sangom Sir raised a valid point, do you see that her poems in some cases violates the guidelines of this Forum.

Regards

Padmanabhan.J

Edited: You seems to have completely ignored my point of reasoning , although you wanted me to write it.

Last edited:

Dear Sangom Sir,

Thank you very much for your comments. I am aware that my kith and kin who live in the U S of A might change slowly to the

culture of the land they live in.
Till the dollar is more than fifty times the Indian Rupee, the immigration is sure to continue....

If faults were found in my write-ups, why no one was raising any objection for more than two years? I am surprised by the

sudden postmortem that is going on in full swing! Did I ever say that others should take my views as 'the judgement'. And,

for your kind information, the same posts were well received in another ladies forum too! :)

Smt. RR Madam,

I do not read the Tamil poems, and many others since my knowledge of Tamil is not literary. Hence, I did not know about the time lapse of two years which you say. Even if it is so, and I don't doubt it at all, in this forum we can usually open any old thread from the archives, and post our views on it. Since the Forum allows this freedom, we must be prepared, imho, to criticisms of our posts/views even at a future time by some one who may have a different view. Looked at this way, I see from the posts now emerging, that Shri PJ has been going through your (old) poems, that he has liked some of them and you have acknowledged it also. Shri PJ has a differing pov as regards your comments in one of the poems and he has expressed that. I think the best course of action is to simply allow this to pass.

BTW, I am surprised to learn that your poem with a blanket comment on the chastity of US women, was well received in a ladies forum; usually women do not take kindly to any such remarks emanating from a male. So, I will like to know the url of that forum, if you do not mind, pl.

There is one girl of marriageable age, born and brought up in the US. Her aunt (Chithi) is known to us and this Chithi was saying that the said girl absolutely refuses any alliance with boys in India or even boys who have gone to US for job and have become US citizens since; she wants a groom born and brought up in US culture (though she prefers a non-Indian origin) mainly because she feels that we Indians have an in-built obsession with chastity (கர்ப்பு) of the girl/woman, and she just cannot get along with such a world view. To the best of our info., this girl has been brought up by her first gen. immigrant parents who are very traditional in their outlook on life.

I am citing this example because I feel that any child born and brought up in US or UK etc., will find our view points very queer and this can happen with our grandchildren themselves.

Dear Sangom Sir,

Thanks again for your prompt reply. Yes, Sir! I shall
simply allow this to pass.

I also wrote what you have explained in your post, that different POVs prevail. So, what I have written is the words of

a 'narrow minded lady', who visited the U S of A for the first time in her life! I shall PM to you the info about the ladies

forum that I had mentioned in my earlier post. Can I assume that you need 'the proof'?? :)

Dear Sangom Sir,

Thanks again for your prompt reply. Yes, Sir! I shall
simply allow this to pass.

I also wrote what you have explained in your post, that different POVs prevail. So, what I have written is the words of

a 'narrow minded lady', who visited the U S of A for the first time in her life! I shall PM to you the info about the ladies

forum that I had mentioned in my earlier post. Can I assume that you need 'the proof'?? :)

hi RR madam,
i smell something here....like VR madam did earlier....you may follow the same...so better caution....SILENCE IS THE BEST POLICY....

Latest ads

Back