• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What are the sins one will face if he kills a brahmin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Instead of reading Purana written after Christ, which might have the influence of Abrahamic religions, it might be Bhagavat Gita.
Last edited by prasad1; Yesterday at 08:28 PM.

Puranas were written much before Christ. Christ and all recent. Do not compare purana and Christ. Former is at high level and the later is at lowest level. Kindly acquie some knowledge about puranas

Puranas were written with the intention that the work should persist as Vedas. It was made a chronicle account of the past. In order that it survives the ravages of time, the Purana writers adopted a novel way of putting religion into its structure. With religious temper, it was sure to find a permanent place. The sage-writers of Puranas treated the information given by the Sutras and colored it with religious tinge and information cleverly but they could not understand that such temper is based on logic whereas source of religion is spiritual. Thus much of the coloring remained ineffective. The sage writers took all the precautions. The account as told by the Sutas was not taken in a matter of fact way but was twisted to suit religious bend of mind and seem believable. to ignorant people and the women folk. It was mixed with exaggeration and super natural elements in the name of Divine play as it looked appealing, charmingly enticing and engaging. The writers went to the extreme of saying that the Puranas are as old as the Vedas and have been mentioned in the ancient scriptures as they were in fact written by Vyasa, the famous composer of Vedas and other scriptures.
To establish that the Puranas are authoritative books on par with Vedas, these writers in self interest went to the extent of declaring that Vyasa is the author of all these 18 Puranas. They also tried to make the reading of Puranas mandatory during Puja and rituals by quoting the Mahabharata that these 18 Puranas which are in harmony with the Vedas be read while offering oblations to manes and hear stories of Puranas for salvation. The fact is otherwise.

Vyasa wrote commentary on Yoga Shastra and Vedanta Shastra. They are as appealing and reasonable as to influence any thoughtful person into scientific understanding. A person of his standing can never go so low as to write such unscientific stories and events for public consumption.

[FONT=&quot]The confusion created by these Puranas brought disintegration of Hinduism. They praised their own God as the Supreme and the people forgetting that all these gods are one and the same with different names, began to fight for their Lord, claiming their supremacy over others. Thus the sects began to dominate and the pundits gained influence and a wider committed circle of devotees to their financial benefit and authority. It was Adi Sancaracharya who revived the religion and put a stop to Saiva, Vaishnava and shaktas fights towards disintegration. The sect life could be controlled and integrated into a wider circle of all inclusive Hinduism on the sound principle of Solidarity in Diversity.

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Last edited by prasad1; Today at 05:45 PM. ---lengthy explanation-----But Hindus never neglect puranas or vedas. You have added some extra flavours I seems.

imrpsji,
You can believe what you want. But when you try to peddle BS as genuine, I have every right to call it as I see it. Thanks.

Puranas were written much before Christ. Christ and all recent. Do not compare purana and Christ. Former is at high level and the later is at lowest level. Kindly acquie some knowledge about puranas

??? Christ at the lowest level?

I am quite surprised to read this.

Then why do you advocate reading Puranas or religious text when you clearly do not have respect for prophets.

I am a Hindu myself..I feel as a Hindu we might have our personal opinions about accepting and rejecting school of thoughts..its allowed and not Adharmic.. ..for example I prefer Advaita as compared to Vishistadvaita but that does not mean I am going to say Adi Shankara is the highest and can not be compared with Ramanuja..I would not even want to type the world Lowest when I am talking about a divine personality.

We have the right to make our personal choice..without calling anyone higher or lower.

I guess you need to read Garuda Purana to see what is the sin you just committed by calling a prophet the lowest.

Last edited:
So far, I have NOT heard of anyone reading Garuda Purana near a dying person! :nono:

Some slokA chanting is done; there are some electronic devices which repeatedly chant
God's names. We had such a device to chant Rama nAmA, near my mother's death bed. :pray2:

Dear RR ji,

Yes you are right...no one reads Garuda Puranam for a dying person.

Personally I never like even electronic device cos that has no Bhava for the person..its mechanical.

When my uncle was dying..I used to recite for him Narayana Upanishad when I was near him and when I was not near him I used to do Likhita Japam Sri Rama Jayam and also wrote down Vishnu Sahasraranamam for him.

At least it would give some peace to the person.

Garuda Puranam is usually read after death to public that attends the follow up at home before the Theraami 13th day..the Garuda Puranam reading is for public education to prevent them from committing error and not for the deceased person.

But out here usually..no one does this anymore..they instead read the Bhagavad Geeta till the Theraami cos public is mature enough to handle text that talks about the Atma and its transition after death of body.

Last edited:
@Prasad---The explanation given by you was intact. Sorry for my harsh comments. It is the indivudual's belief. I agree.

??? Christ at the lowest level?

I am quite surprised to read this.

Then why do you advocate reading Puranas or religious text when you clearly do not have respect for prophets.

I am a Hindu myself..I feel as a Hindu we might have our personal opinions about accepting and rejecting school of thoughts..its allowed and not Adharmic.. ..for example I prefer Advaita as compared to Vishistadvaita but that does not mean I am going to say Adi Shankara is the highest and can not be compared with Ramanuja..I would not even want to type the world Lowest when I am talking about a divine personality.

We have the right to make our personal choice..without calling anyone higher or lower.

I guess you need to read Garuda Purana to see what is the sin you just committed by calling a prophet the lowest.

I have read garuda purana all the chapters. Lowest means he cannot equal Hindu saints like Adi sankara Ramanujacharya etc.

I have read garuda purana all the chapters. Lowest means he cannot equal Hindu saints like Adi sankara Ramanujacharya etc.

Sorry...I havent reached a state where I can grade divine personalities..further more I feel even if one reaches the highest state of realization one would have Samadarshinah.

So right now I havent reached the state of Samadarshinah and neither am I willing to grade anyone becos I stand nowhere next to any prophet or saint.

Sorry...I havent reached a state where I can grade divine personalities..further more I feel even if one reaches the highest state of realization one would have Samadarshinah.

So right now I havent reached the state of Samadarshinah and neither am I willing to grade anyone becos I stand nowhere next to any prophet or saint.

I agree with your POV.

The version of Garuda Purana that survives into the modern era, states Dalal, is likely from 800 to 1000 CE with sections added in the 2nd-millennium. Pintchman suggests 850 to 1000 CE. Chaudhuri and Banerjee, as well as Hazra, on the other hand, state it cannot be from before about the 10th- or 11th-century CE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garuda_Purana

It is evident from the replies that people do not believe in Garuda purana....

imrps Ji,

Of late in this Forum, few who are very active, really are very busy in
singing and glorifying their own puranas.

One member will come and give a lengthy lecture of one of the Mamas of her extended family dancing like Nataraja and another Anty who is a close relative singing like Madurai Somu, etc :)

Other will come here to give a lecture on pros repeat only pros of 'Inter religious marriages', Intern-caste marriages', how to match a mismatching horocope, etc

Most are busy like bees .... 'What is this life... full of care and we have no time to stand and stare....'

Anyway...thanks for your suggestions.

Humble suggestion, please keep posting such threads, learn and grow in this Forum.

P.S: I started getting thumps down.
Hope the thread may now get activated and gain momentum.....LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the need to insult other members? Members post here their experience. No one claims exclusive authority on any subject. If you can not accept others experience on the face value, may be they do not belong to this forum or any civilized society.

By the way where have you been when such attacks were made on others viz. JR Ji, PJ Ji, London Swaminathan Ji, Sarang Ji, etc etc

You conveniently maintain silence and now come here with a loud noise to perform your self-proclaimed role of moral policing.

Try to maintain a standard role all the time.

Don’t be lenient towards one group and harsh against the others.

I have been in this Forum quite long and know about you very well.

And I have been repeatedly telling you that I am different.... mind that..

BTW are you their appointed Attorney or a volunteer or their mouthpiece....??

And your favourite phrase: What goes around, comes around.

Last edited by a moderator:
The version of Garuda Purana that survives into the modern era, states Dalal, is likely from 800 to 1000 CE with sections added in the 2nd-millennium. Pintchman suggests 850 to 1000 CE. Chaudhuri and Banerjee, as well as Hazra, on the other hand, state it cannot be from before about the 10th- or 11th-century CE.

Makes sense...cos the heaven and hell concept in my opinion would be the the influence of Abrahamic religions.

hi

i have gaurdapuranam book now....with translation in hindi.....by gita press, gorakhpur...

Wikipedia are the recent ones. Can you find this Wikipedia in 1960's? You have given some number only 1000 CE etc which is copied from wiki. Garuda puranam is older than that. According to your view the so called Christ is older than Vishnu???? Strange that being a hindu you are criticising the purana and comparing with the persons who took all the things from Hinduism. Kali kalamada samy!!!

imrps Ji,

Of late in this Forum, few who are very active, really are very busy in
singing and glorifying their own puranas.

One member will come and give a lengthy lecture of one of the Mamas of her extended family dancing like Nataraja and another Anty who is a close relative singing like Madurai Somu, etc :)

Other will come here to give a lecture on pros repeat only pros of 'Inter religious marriages', Intern-caste marriages', how to match a mismatching horocope, etc

Most are busy like bees .... 'What is this life... full of care and we have no time to stand and stare....'

Anyway...thanks for your suggestions.

Humble suggestion, please keep posting such threads, learn and grow in this Forum.

P.S: I started getting thumps down.
Hope the thread may now get activated and gain momentum.....LOL

Please visit Hinduism stack exchange and become member. You can learn a lot not this kichu kichu type.To gain momentum I commenced electrifying questions.

My question was deviated and answers concluded that garuda purana should be read near the dying person. I myself deny this. When a person is I death bed Vishnu sahasranama should be read. After th death that from 1 to 13 days garuda puranam should be read. Not only you nobody can reach the knowledge of acharyas. I am not talking about prophet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back