• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Unknown ancient temples of tamilnadu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sthalam: Arisirkaraiputhur
Swami: Padikkasu alitha nathar, Swarnapuriswarar
Ambal: Azhagambigai

Route: now known as "Azhagaputhur". 7 kms from Kumbakonam. Its on the way of NAchiarkoil-Kumbakonam.

Near temples: Nachiarkoil (Nachiar koil siddiswaram); Sivapuram

Legend: It is believed that swami gave padikkasu (golden coins kept in the entrance of sanctum sanctorium) to sundarar.

Important deity: The murugan who is the separate shrine at the entrance itself is having conch and chakra like vishnu. Also the peacock will be facing left (usually it faces right side of muruga).

The temple is located near the banks of Arisil aaru. Hence named Arisil karai puthur.

This temple is famous for relieving from debt. Since swami is ready to provide us money, this temple is considered as "Kubera kshetram"

Minibus are also going from kumbakonam, which takes you to both sivapuram and azhagaputhur. Main temple is located very near to main road and is even visible from the main road itself.

Hello Members/Readers : SAIRAM and GREETINGS. May I, for the benefit of those devotees who do know, inform about the ancient Temple of NEELAYADAKSHI AMMAN @ KAYAROGANESWARAR Temple at NAGAPATTINAM. My article about this temple at chennaionline site can be viewed in the link http://chennaionline.com/tamil/news/newsitem.aspx?NEWSID=62fa6b58-c1c2-4080-b299-a38e72461b49CATEGORYNAME=anmee

சிறப்புகள் வாய்ந்த இத் திருக்கோயில், பக்தர்கள் அதிக அளவில் தரிசிக்க வராததால், சரிவர பராமரிக்க முடியாத நிலையில் இருப்பது, வருந்தத்தக்கதாக இருக்கிறது. அரசும், அதைச் சார்ந்த சம்பந்தப்பட்ட அதிகாரிகளும் இன்னும் நன்றாகக் கவனித்தால், சரித்திரப்புகழ் பெற்ற பழமையான இத் திருக்கோயில் அதற்குரிய மதிப்பையும் புகழையும் மீண்டும் பெற்று, திருவிழாக்கள் அனைத்தும் நல்ல முறையில் நடத்தப்பட்டு, சீரும் சிறப்புடன் திகழ உறுதுணையாகும் என்பது நிச்சயம்.

பக்தர்களும் இக்கோயிலுக்கு அடிக்கடி சென்று, சக்தி வாய்ந்த அன்னை நீலாயதாக்ஷி சமேத காயாரோகணேஸ்வரர், மற்றும் இதர தெய்வங்களின் அருளுடன் எல்லா ஐஸ்வர்யங்களும் பேறும் பெற்று நலமுடனும் வளமுடனும் வாழ்ந்திட பிரார்த்திக்கிறோம்.

"கண்கவர் தங்கமய நீலாயதாக்ஷி
என்றென்றும் நமஸ்காரம் ஏற்றருள் புரிவாயே!"

அன்னையைப் போற்றும்பொழுது,

"அம்மை காமாட்சியே கருணா கடாட்சியே,
அரிய மதுரை ஆளும் மீனாட்சியே
நம்பும் அடியார்கள் கண்ணுறும் காட்சியே
நாகையதனில் வாழும் நீலாயதாக்ஷியே
சம்பு மோகித்திடும் காசி விசாலாக்ஷியே
சாலத் திகழும் ஆரூர் கமலாக்ஷியே
அடியாரைக் கரையேற்றும் அகிலாண்ட நாயகியே
கும்பிட்டு உனதடி குறுகிப் பணிந்தோம்
கெளரியே எழுந்தருள்வாயே"

என்று போற்றி வணங்குகிறோம்.
அருள்மிகு காயாரோகணேஸ்வரர் உடன் உறையும் அன்னை நீலாயதாக்ஷி திருக்கோயில், காவிரி ஆற்றின் தெற்கே அமைந்த திருநாகை என்னும் நாகப்பட்டினம் நகரில், கடற்கரையிலிருந்து சுமார் 3 கிலோ மீட்டருக்குள் அமைந்திருக்கிறது. இக்கோயில் ஏறத்தாழ 6ஆம் நூற்றாண்டில் சோழர்களால் கட்டப்பட்டதாகக் குறிப்புகள் கூறுகின்றன..

இத்திருக்கோயில், தேவார தலங்களில் 82ஆவதாகவும், 64 சக்தி பீடங்களிலும், சப்தவிடங்க தலங்களில் ஒன்றாகவும் பெருமையாகத் திகழும் தலமாகும்.
Thanks & Regards
V. Ramaswamy

Nagappattinum Neelayadakshi temple is a very old ancient temple. It is a sapthavidanga Kshetram.

I shall try to visit the temple during my next trip to this area.

All the best

Dear all

In nagapattinam, mariamman temple is famous for sedil. Sikkal is famous for murugan. But, though this neelayadkshi temple is very ancient and even padal petra sthalam, it is less popular. The reason which I think is, the main town of nagapattinam has been moved much far from this temple and this temple reamined isolated. My uncle is in nagapattinam. I went to his home many a times. But, never visited this temple. Because, my aunt said me, going the temple in evenings are very risky as many robberies will take place in the way near to temple. I dont know how far its true as I have not visited the temple. Anyhow government and devotees should take necessary steps to gain its beauty and also make the temple accessible.

OM NEELAYADAKSHI SAMEDHA KAYAROKANESWARA SWAMINE NAMAHA

Pranams

Nagapattinam sri neelayadakshi amman temple

SAIRAM. Thanks Shri RVRji and Shri Durgadasanji. Though I belong to Nagapattinam, we left that place in 1975 but frequent the temple often and I have contacts there. Neither have I heard nor understand that there is any such thing of robberies particularly in that area. There are many temples located in certain God-forsaken places also but people do visit without problems even if there is an element of fear. Similarly, in very much known and famous temples like Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple, Palani Dandayuthapani temple which are always crowded and not-isolated, thefts, robberies and cheating do take place on a large scale. Still, people do not hesitate to visit. Anyway, my desire is that ancient temples like Neelayadakshi Amman temple (once frequented by devotees in very large numbers during our times), should also be sought after by Bhaktas. Thanks for your reply. May I know your uncle's name and where does he reside? I may know him if he has been there for long (before 1975). They also may know us because my father, late Shri S. Vaithinathaswamy Iyer was a Teacher and Scout-Master in National High School and we had business there (defunct since 1975).
Pranams (if you are older) and Best Wishes (if younger)
V. Ramaswamy (68 yrs.)

Dear all

In nagapattinam, mariamman temple is famous for sedil. Sikkal is famous for murugan. But, though this neelayadkshi temple is very ancient and even padal petra sthalam, it is less popular. The reason which I think is, the main town of nagapattinam has been moved much far from this temple and this temple reamined isolated. My uncle is in nagapattinam. I went to his home many a times. But, never visited this temple. Because, my aunt said me, going the temple in evenings are very risky as many robberies will take place in the way near to temple. I dont know how far its true as I have not visited the temple. Anyhow government and devotees should take necessary steps to gain its beauty and also make the temple accessible.

OM NEELAYADAKSHI SAMEDHA KAYAROKANESWARA SWAMINE NAMAHA

Pranams

Ramaswamy Sir,

Please write to Dharmapuram adheenam/Thiruvaduthurai Adheenam/Thiruppanandal adheenam for rehabilitation of the Neelayadhakshi temple at Nagappattinum

Since the chief Minister is from our place, probably he can be approached with some elders of the place. He definitely listens to the grievances and helps with funds from some other temple.

All the best

Sthalam: Thiruvedagam
Swami: Edaganatheswarar
Ambal: Maadevi, Elavarkuzhali

Route: This temple is located on the Madurai - Sholavandan bus route. Town bus services from Madurai Periyar bus stand are directly available to Tiruvedagam.

Legend: This is very famous temple, related mainly with GnanaSambandhar. This is the place where the sambandar's scripts went after going against the stream of vaigai. (Punal vadham - fight with water was done between Gnanasambandar and Jains. They both put their divine scripts in the flow of vaigai. The scripts of Jains were washed off, whereas the script of sambanda travelled against the water current and reached this temple. (Edu+eriya+agam)

Places to see: The bank of Vaigai is nearby. Also very famous temple for "Janaka mariamman" is situated here. It seems that King Janaka worshipped this mariamman and got sita as his daughter.

Pranams

Sthalam: Vairavanpatti
Swami: Valar olir nathar
Ambal: Vadivudai ammai
Theertham: Vairava theertham

Legend: This is one among the nine main temples of naatukottai chettiars. This temple is devoted to Bairavar. Bairavar shrine is in the place of amman. After which, the ambal shrine is also there. So, bairavar stands amidst of swami and ambal with full of grace. Special poojas for bairavar are done here on every ashtami. Offerings like vadaimalai are also done at that time.

Specialities:

1. Lord rama worshipping shri Hanuman- You can never see such posture anywhere. Here rama worships hanuman for saving the life of lakshmana by getting sanjeevini hills

2. Musical pillars in front of Dakshinammorthy

3. Nandhi in separate mandapam with separate vimana

4. The whole shrine of chandikeswara built with a single stone

5. Herbal paintings

6. Sculpturous works of horse warriors and excellent meenakshi thirukalyanam statue

7. The pond created by shri bairavar with his "soolam" for the benefit of devas.

Route: It is very near to the famous Pillayarpatti (located near Thirupathur-Karaikudi)

Dear Uncle

I was bit busy with my thesis works. Finally I gave the same on last friday. Immediately went for a short trip to Palani, Madurai, Pillayarpatti, Vairavanpatti, Pattamangalam, and Thiruvanaikoil and came back yesterday only... Thats why uncle...

Pranams

NAVAGRAHA TEMPLES AROUND CHENNAI

Below is the list of ancient temples associated with 9grahas and also near chennai itself. For people who are unable to go to Kumbakonam, it will be a real boon as these temples are also equivalently weighted for 9grahas.

1. Kolapakkam- Agastheeswarar- Anandhavalli- SUN- Bairavar is also important in this temple.

2. Somangalam- Somanathar- Kamakshi- MOON

3. Poonamalle- Vaitheeswaran Koil- SEVVAI

4. Kovur- Sundareswarar- Soundaranayagi (Meenakshi)- BUDHAN

5. Porur- Ramanadheeswarar- GURU

6. Maangadu- Velliswarar- SUKRAN

7. Pozhichalur- Agastheeswarar- Anandhavalli- SANI

8. Kundrathur- Nageswarar- Kamatchi- RAHU

9. Keragambakkam- Neelakandeswarar- Kamatchi- KEDHU

Pranams

You are correct uncle.

Gyayiru comes for other set of same kinda temples. For that the other temples include Mudichur Shivan temple- MOON (the shivalingam is made of Chandrakandha stone), Saidai Karaneeswarar temple- Budhan (since akoraveerabadrar shrine is there; Thiruvalidhayam -GURU; Mylapore Velliswarar Temple- SUKRAN; Thiruverkadu Mariamman temple - Rahu, Ketu.

Pranams

Koothanur Saraswathi Temple

Dear Durgadasan :

Can I request you to give some brief about this temple..Has this already been covered in any of the earier threads?

Thanks

Sanki

Respected Sanki

The Mahasaraswathi devi temple has not been provided in this thread I suppose.

Sthalam: Koothanoor
Swami: -
Ambal: Shri Saraswathi devi
Theertham: Arisilaru

sara.jpg

Route: The temple is located very near to Poonthotam (a small village in the route of Mayiladuthurai- Thiruvarur) (near to Peralam). Its walkable from Poonthotam bus stop and everyone there will show the way to temple. Might be a 5-min walk.

Legend: It is the only south Indian ancient temple devoted only for shri saraswathi devi and there are no shrines for anyother deities except Shri ganapathy. Legend says that Saraswathi devi did penance here and shiva makes her to reside here itself permanently and bless her devotees. The great poet "ottakoothar" (contemporary to Kambar) lived in this village and got the grace of Shri saraswathi.

Specialities: In Navarathri, sadha chandi homam will be performed. Also during saraswathi pooja, the archakas will decorate the idol in such a way that the leg of the goddess will be so lengthy that it reaches the ardhamandapa, so that everyone will touch and get her blessings on that auspicious day.

She is a varaprasadhi for students (Espcecially for X and XII) and she will be tightly engaged during exam times.

SMALL NOTE: Shops nearby temple are so costly that a normal pen and pencil will cost almost 5 times than the usual price. So, it will be better if you buy such stationary items from Mayavaram itself. You can just give it inside the shrine and the archaka will place it in the feet of saraswathi devi and give it us back.

Visiting the temple on wednesdays will be very free and fruitful (many people dont know the secret. People think that saraswathi as ambal and hence there will be lot of rush in tuesdays and fridays and ofcourse sundays). Wednesday is the day of "budhan" who is in-charge of knowledge according to planetary positions, will give his blessings when we have darshan of shri saraswathi devi on his day...

(ONE SMALL TIP- THE STAR OF SARASWATHI IS MOOLAM)

Pranams

Koothanur Saraswathi Temple

Dear Durgadasan :

thanks for that update..extremely impressive..

Had the fortune of visiting this shrine on 19th Mar'10 friday evening with a newly wed couple.

Of course in addition to what you have aptly listed,we did see students writing their exam nos. on all the inner walls of the temple. We also saw lot of White Lotus being offered to her..

An excellent temple and we were blessed to have such a beautiful darshan with our family.

Thanks and god bless

Sanki

Dear Sanki sir

I wantedly did not mentioned that... that is writing numbers all over the walls. Though that is an action of faithfulness, that actually spoils the total aesthetic look and sanctity of the temple. Students write their numbers with charcoal or markers and they think that saraswathi will write the exam on behalf of them... What to do??? Only she has to solve her own issue of keeping the walls clean. Few years back, it was strictly prohibited and even some watchers were there to note all the persons in the temple. But how long to protect??? This once turned a serious issue that there is no white space at all to mark their numbers, it was filled like that...

Pranams

Dear Durgadasan :

Thanks for that prompt reply..Personally even I don't subscibe for spoiling the inner walls of the temples..only slokas can hold a place there; however i feel, the students psychologically feel and get a lift after they have engrained their exam nos. in the temple. we may have to request the temple authorities to allot a small place for respecting the feelings of the students..

Without wasting the 3-day leave, went for a short trip around chidambaram. Visited padal petra sthalams suchas Thiruvetkalam, Thirunallurperumanam (Achalpuram), Mahendrapalli, Thirunelvoyil, Thirukazhipaalai, thirumudhukundram (vridhachalam), and Sri mushnam also... Will share the details here soon..

Pranams

Sthalam: Thirunallurperumanam (ACHALPURAM)
Swami: Sivaloga Thyagesar
Ambal: Thiruvennetru Umaiyammai (Vibudhi prasadamiga)

The legend and other details have been beautifully explained in a separate post by Mr. Rajesh. Anyhow some miscellanous details I just wish to add here about the temple.

1. This is the one and only temple, where 4 Nayanmars have attained Mukthi. (Thirugnanasambandhar, Thiruneelanakka Nayanar, Thiruneelaganda Yazhpaanar, Muruga Nayanar).

2. Only in this temple alone we can see Thirugnana sambandar as married person. Since he immediately attained mukthi after his marriage, we cannot find him anywhere with his wife, Sthothra poornambigai.

3. A separate shrine for Sambandhar--Sthothrapoornambigai is there within the temple near to the shrine of sivaloga thyagesar.

4. A separate shrine of Ambal (Vibudhi prasadambiga) is like a separate temple and she too owns a vahana of Bull (instead of lion).

5. Large sized Dwarapalakas (made of special sand (Sudhai)) are seen both in swami and ambal shrines.

6. The shrine of RUNAVIMOCHANA LINGAM (one who destroys all our debts) is present here. It is present only in three temples. Worshipping him of mondays free people from debts.

7. On completion of our circumbulation (prakara vala), a miniature of narthana ganapathy is there carved in the wall itself. The specialty is a separate temple-like sculpturous work has been done for him.

8. Durga with 8 hands is there in the temple.

9. It is in this temple, Vibudhi prasadam is provided also in the shrine of ambal. (This ambal gave vibudhi prasadam to all the people who came for the marriage of Sambandha-Sthotrapoornambiga).

The temple is now under renovation and we can expect its kumbabishekam soon.

Pranams

Dear Uncle

It is located very near to Chidambaram. After crossing Kollidam, a small road is there, which leads to mahendrapalli via Achalpuram. Everyone from chidambaram as well as Kollidam will say you the route. Also lot of minibuses and buses are available from Chidambaram itself uncle.

Pranams

Sthalam: Mahendrapalli
Swami: Thiru meni azhagar
Ambal: Vadivambigai

Legend: As per the legend it is in the pond (pushkarini) of this temple, Shri krishna provided Tharpanam before Gurukshetra war and created BODHAYANA AMAVASYA. Both sun and moon are facing each other in this temple.

Surya, chandra and indra have prayed this lord. A small shiny lingam (Meni azhagar)- an apt name is the prime diety. Even the ambal is also with very same equivalent beauty of vadivambigai.

This temple has been renovated just 2 months back only. This temple is also famous for its "SOORYA POOJA" on the month of Panguni. A small sea shore temple.

NOTE: Going by car or auto is preferrable. Because, the temple is located very far from even the bus stand of mahendrapalli. One has to cross achalpuram and then only reach mahendrapalli.

Special Darshan: There is a Ramar temple located in the bus stand of mahendrapalli. There is only one shrine (6 ft tall rama, sita and lakshmana and anjaneya). SImply superb temple. This temple has also been recently renovated before two months only. One has to cross this rama temple and then only reach shiva temple.

This shiva temple is the edge of a particular chozha desa temples list, since beyond which is sea. A small temple surrounded by lots of fishermen houses and all. So going to this temple after 7 pm is not advisable. Also if you want any archana materials, get it from achalpuram or chidambaram itself.

Pranams

STHALAM: Vridhachalam
Swami: Vrithagiriswarar
Ambal: Vrithambigai, Balambigai

Legend: This is the place which is considered to be older than even Thiruvannamalai, since lord parameswara himself first took the form of a mountain here after the world has been created.

Speciality: The speciality of this temple is everything is made of 5. (It is in correlation with the panchakshara- glorifying lord shiva).

This temple has
5 nandhis (Indra nandhi, vedha nandhi, aathmanandhi, dhrama nandhi, maalvidai nandhi)

5 mandapams,

5 prakaras (The road surounding the temple where the temple car procession happens, Kailasa sutru, Vanniyadi sutru, 63 sutru, Panchavarna sutru(which is not now there))

5 theerthams (Manimutharau, agnitheertham, chakra theertham, kubera theertham, nithayanandha koobam)

5 times of pooja

5 vinayaka

5 Thwajasthambas

the rishis who worshipped and attained mukthi were also 5 (Vibachithu muni, kumaradeva muni, romacha muni, nadha sarma, anavarthini)

5 set of steps to reach swami shrine

- Apart from this the very famous "Azhathu pillayar" shrine is located inside the temple. This is considered one among the six padai veedu of pillaiyar. The other are Thiruvannamalai allal theertha vinayagar, Thriukadaiyur Kalla Vaarana ganapathi, Madurai Sidhi vinayagar, Kasi thundi raja ganapathi, Thirunaraiyur Polla pillayar.

- two amman shrine namely vrithambigai and balambigai are here. For complting the request of sri la sri Guru Namachivayar swamigal, Vrithambigai herself turned to Balambigai.

- In this temple, shri shanmuga swami himself worshipped 28 saiva agamas as 28 siva lingas and did pooja to them and attained the perfect gnana about them. A shrine with 28 lingas as 28 agamas amidst of shri subramanya valli and deivayanai is beautiful to see and is a real feast to our eyes.

- The main difference which we cannot see anywhere is the Dwarapalaki infront of Vrithambigai shrine. One among them is holding Pasam and Angusam, whereas the other one holds chanku (conch) and chakra (disc), which shows that both shiva gana and vishnu ganas are serving this amman.

- A simply superb sculputre of durga is also in this temple, in which durga hits the chest of mahishasura and he is in the standing posture.

- A proverb which describes its familiarity is its greater than even kasi (Kasiyai vida veesam adigam).

Note: The temple is located in prime market area and you can get everything. It is bit far from bus stand and so, ask some person to get down at temple appropriately. Its a very big temple and hence its advisable to go mornings or early evenings so that we can cover all the shrines and get a clear vision of the temple. The positive highlight of the temple is the greatness of this temple has been written everywhere and hoardings are there explaining them. A well maintained free toilet and drinking water facility is also avaliable within the temple.

Its very near to chidambaram, will take 1:30 hours, whereas vridhachalam itself is a town and we can also directly go there.

Pranams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back