• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Unknown ancient temples of tamilnadu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thirucheeyathamangai
(Satthamangai)

Swami: Ayavandeeswarar
Ambal: Ubayapushpavilochani (Irumalarkanni ammai)

Legend: The great nayanmar, thiruneelanakkar (a brahmin) was lived in this village. He and his wife were great devotees of ayavandeeswara. Once, nayanar's wife saw a spider sitting on the linga and to send that out, she created air from her mouth and forcefully send against the linga. On seeing this, nayanar turned wild and said that she has spitted some saliva drops over swami and hence, he decided to break the relationship with her. He left her in the temple itself and went home. On his dream, swami came and showed his body full of boils. Only in the place where his wife's air spread was protected and the rest of his whole body was filled with boils. He said to nayanar that to show the extreme devotion of you blessed couple I did like this. Then nayanar lived happily with his consort.

They both got mukthi at achalpuram during sambandar's wedding.

Specialities in Temple:
Santhanagopala shrine: You can see a santhana gopala vigraha made in stone. I have not seen usually this vigraha in shivan temples and also this kind of stone sculpture i have not seen anywhere according to my knowledge.
Sapthamatha shrine: The shrine of sapthamatha is very beautiful and will face outside the temple.

The temple itself is of two parts: one for ayavantheeswara and other for ubayapushpavilochani.

Route: It is near thiruchengattangudi. From nannilam-nagapattinam route.

If you get down at thirupugaloor, you can visit many temples: Thirupugalur, thiruchengatangudi, thirumarugal, chathamangai, thirukannapuram (both shiva and vishnu temple).

with her blessing, i have written a "padhigam" on swanthara devi. The first para of the padhigam is herewith attached (it has 5 paras):

பவழ மணி முடி புரள இடைஅதுவும் கொடியனைய இளம்பிடியின் நடையழகு ஒடுங்கவே
பவவினைகள் தனைஅறுத்து கவனமுடன் எனை அணைத்து அவமதனை நீக்கும் அருளே
ஸிவமுனிவன் தினம்அணைத்து நவகலைகள் தனையுரைத்து உவமையதாய் உனை உரைக்கவே
குவலயத்தில் மனம் மகிழ்ந்து தவமதனை நிறுத்தி பல புவனமகிழ் குஞ்சரம்உதிக்கவே
தாருகையில் முனிவர் பலர் தருக்கழித்து உருகொடுக்க தமயனுக்குதவி செய்தோய்
ஓரிரவில் யவனன் உயிர் காரியன் எடுத்தகல காரியம் முடித்த அழகே
வாழ்த்துடன் வளம் ஓங்கு பெருஞ்சேரி தனில் தங்கு வாடாத தெய்வ மலரே
வாகீச நாதர் மகிழ் யோகீச நாயகி சுவாந்தர தேவி உமையே

This is the second para:

ஆறுபொறி நீரதனில் ஆறுமுகம் ஆனவுடன் ஊறுநினை சூரனுயிர் ஒடுங்கவே
ஏறுமயில் ஏற்றி திருவேலைக்கரம் பற்ற நெடுவேலை முடிக்க வைத்தோய்
இமயகிரி குகையதனில் இமயகிரி மருகனை நீ இமையதனில் பல மொழிகள் படிக்க வைத்தோய்
சமயமிது என அறிந்து சரசமழைதனை பொழிந்த உமையவளே உனை துதிக்கவே
பயமறுகும் பயன் பெருகும் மனம் உருகும் சினம் குறுகும் இனம் பெருகும் நான் கருகுமே
பிணியகலும் உளமகிழும் பனி மழைகள் தனை பொழியும் பரமனவன் மனை அழகியே
குலம்யாவும் வளம் காணும் பெருஞ்சேரி தலம் தங்கும் குன்றாத பொய்கை நீரே

Dear Durgadasan,
It is interesting to know the existance of ancient temples. Thanks for introducing us to the temple and the stala puranam. I read your "padhigam" on swanthara devi. Please accept my appreciation. Venkat

Hi.. happy deepavali to one and all. Venkat

Thank you so much sir. My main aim is to throw light on some unknown temples so that atleast people reading this will give a try to those places. For example, even the temple perunjeri got now renovated and is beautiful now. But, before that it was in a bad condition. To avoid such circumstances and also to protect the treasure with us, am starting a small thread. I consider this as my duty sir. I will be much happy if you also share some temples which you visited and also some temples of your native place.

Pranams.
I once again thank you sir. Everything will get approved only by wishes. Here, this is because of your blessings.

durga,

congrats.

please note i am not sending you any blessings. in order to do that, i have to be wiser than you. which i don't think i am.

or in some other elevated state of mind. which i am not.

i wish only to say that i appreciate your interest and willingness to share it with us.

thank you very much for the same.

the congrats is for the excellent quality of your research.

by the way, a question for you.. as you yourself have said, many of these temples are ancient. some of them may be dilapidated.

so when the renovation work is done, one must be careful, not to erase the ancient architecture and also maintain the structural purity. right?

i am aware, that in the west, art restoration is a maha immense field. the idea is not to paint current ugly paint over the old paintings to indicate 'renovation'.

the art renovation industry in the west is an advanced one, in which, the art restorer spends probably even more time, than the original artist or sculptor, so that the end result, is to restore the work, to closest to what it had appeared originally.

in that context of comparison, how is our renovation standard?

i hope it is not the replacement of the external structure by modern bricks and cement, and painting the vigrahas with asian paints and gathering a crowd for a kumbabisheka.

please let us know.

thank you.

Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

You can bless me in all ways. A noble heart is enough for blessing. I thought you have blessed me now.

Regarding your query, I think we have to improve our standards sir. Each and every temple is a treasure. Atleast a single piece of information (an essential sculpture or a mere stone of artistic work) will be there. The concern person doesnt know its significance and can damage it. I dont know how many readers has visited Avudaiyar koil near arandhangi (It was my dream to visit that temple from my age of 11, I saw that only at 27). You cannot renovate the works there at all. It is fully sculptrous. I got fainted by seeing the treasures in the temple. I think even restoration is also impossible. Some herbal drawings, sudai sirpangal are all very very fragile to handle. I dont know much about this field of restoration. To my view, this field has to emerge in full swing sir. Otherwise, we will be the loosers.

THIRUCHENGATANGUDI

SWAMI: Ganapatheeswarar
Urchavar: Utharapadheeswarar
AMBAL: Choolikambal (Vaaitha thirugu kuzhal valar umai ammai)

Legend: After killing the demon gajamukasura, to get rid of brahmahathi dosha, lord ganesha prayed here shiva and got his blessings.

When vinayaka killed the demon, his blood flooded like a river and hence, the name "thiru chengadu kudi"
Siruthonda Nayanar:
One among the 63 nayanars, shiva in form of a kabalika asked a child-beef for his diet to prove the dignity of siruthondar. He without thinking next, ready to offer his own child, seeralan. He halved his son and his wife and his servant cooked him. With the blessings of shiva seeralan get back his life.

This "Pillai Kariamudu padaithal" is still celebrating in the temple. In the midnight, the oduvars will sing the whole story and they depict the whole story as what happened. It will melt our hearts.

The speciality of this temple is Vadhapi ganapathy. A vinayaga who hailed from vathapi. Siruthondar (when he was paranjodhi (a warrior), won the battle of vathapi under the excellency of Mammalla pallava got this idol from there and placed it in his hometwon itself). A nice vigraha, but in different shape.

Route: It is very near to Thirukannapuram. Many buses are going till thirukannapuram. Or else get down at thirupugalur. From there, fix a auto. Temple is much much old and when I went noone was there except myself.

This is the second para:

ஆறுபொறி நீரதனில் ஆறுமுகம் ஆனவுடன் ஊறுநினை சூரனுயிர் ஒடுங்கவே
ஏறுமயில் ஏற்றி திருவேலைக்கரம் பற்ற நெடுவேலை முடிக்க வைத்தோய்
இமயகிரி குகையதனில் இமயகிரி மருகனை நீ இமையதனில் பல மொழிகள் படிக்க வைத்தோய்
சமயமிது என அறிந்து சரசமழைதனை பொழிந்த உமையவளே உனை துதிக்கவே
பயமறுகும் பயன் பெருகும் மனம் உருகும் சினம் குறுகும் இனம் பெருகும் நான் கருகுமே
பிணியகலும் உளமகிழும் பனி மழைகள் தனை பொழியும் பரமனவன் மனை அழகியே
குலம்யாவும் வளம் காணும் பெருஞ்சேரி தலம் தங்கும் குன்றாத பொய்கை நீரே

Third Para
ஞான குரு வ்யாழமுனி வாழ்மனையை பாழ்படுத்தி காழ்மையதை சந்திரன் அளிக்கவே
ஊழ் வினையை வேரறுக்க வ்யாழனவன் ஆழ் மனதில் வாழ்ந்த உயர் ஞான மகளே
ஈழம் வரை போர் தொடுத்த சோழ உயர் ராஜன் அவன் சூழ்வினைகள் யாவுமுடன் நீங்கவே
காழியதில் பால் அளித்த ஊழியழி ஞானவுமையாகவுடன் நீயும் எழும்பவே
காளியுன் சுடராழி சதகோடி மதி போல ஒளி பெற்று யவனன் உயிர் நீக்கவே
மிளிர்கின்ற மலர் கொண்டு ஒளிர்கின்ற உனைக்கண்டு உயர் சோழன் வழிபாடியற்றவே
வானவர்க்கருள்கின்ற பெருஞ்சேரி தலம் தங்கும் வாள்நுதற் கண்ணி சிவையே
வாகீசநாதர் மகிழ் யோகீச நாயகி சுவாந்தரதேவி உமையே

THIRUTHILAITHAIPADHI

SWAMI: MADHIMUKTHEESWARAR
AMBAL: PORKODI, Maragatha valli

Now the village is known as "Sethalapathi". It is very near to Koothanoor saraswathi temple. The temple is small and calm. King Dasaratha prayed this shiva. He worshipped his ancestors here. Hence, the name Thila+Darpana+puri. Doing rituals to ancestors here is considered to be of great holiness.

VISHESHAM: The important VIP of this temple is "NARA MUKA GANAPATHI" who has a separate shrine in the entrance of the temple. The vinayaga has a human face here. Nowhere we can see like this.

A type of Madakoil. Very nice to see. If you go by car, the route is very worst and please arrange an experienced driver. I think there is no bus facility to reach there.

ROUTE: Get down at Poonthottam. (MAYILADUTHURAI--Thiruvarur route), after peralam. From there, walkable distance is shri saraswathi devi temple. You can get an auto or car from there to Sethalapathi.

Pranams.

Sthalam: Sikkal
Swami: Navaneetheswarar
Ambal: Neelnedunganni
Theertham: Ksheera pushkarini

This temple is rich in history and legend. Sikkal is also closely associated with Ettukudi and Enkan through the legend of a sculptor who carved the images of Skanda in all three of these shrines.

The temple is built on an artificial mound (a maadakkoyil said to have been built by the king Kochenkan Cholan). A pillared hall Kartikaimandapam, with murals on the ceiling depicting instances from Skandapuranam is adjacent to the front entrance. Shiva's shrine faces east, while Singaravelar's and Ambal Velnedunkanni's shrines face south. The jewelry adorning Skanda is of great beauty here.

Legend: Sage Vasishta prepared a model of a Shivalinga from the floating cream of the milky pond (butter). Infusing life into the Linga, Sage Vasishtha started his meditation. Being pleased with the deep meditation of Sage Vasishtha, god appeared in an invisible form and a voice was heard which said, "I have been caught." Since, god has been caught here, the name sikkal came. (sikkena pidithen- manickavasagar).

Though the deities of thevara is navaneetheswara and velnedunganni, the presiding deity there is shri subramanya (singaravelan). The famous once again is he is a urchavar there and not a stone idol. (like muthukumaraswamy of vaitheeswaran koil). During sashti, "vel vanguthal" function will happen and during this, the idol of murugan sweats while getting the vel from his mother, velnedunganni. A small, calm and beautiful temple.

Route: It is very near to Nagapattinam.

Sthalam: KEEVALOOR
SWAMI: Akshayalingeswarar (kediliyappar)
Ambal: Sundarakuchambiga (Vanmulainayagi)
Theertam: Saravana poigai
Deities to worship: KUBERA, Anjuvattathamman

It is a madakoil type. They said the shrine as chitrakoodagiri. Muthuswamy dikshitar's krithi akshaya linga vibho sambo glorifies him only.

Legend: Subramanya worshipped swami and ambal here before going to the warfront with soora. When, sooran created a maya to kill subramanya in the warfront , mother parvathi took the form of kali and created five circles made of panchaboothas (fire, water, earth, wind, and sky) and protected him. Hence, the name anju (five)+ vattam (circle) amman. Very very beautiful kali to worship. (It resembles me the vattaparai amman of thiruvotriyur). The dakshinamoorthy in the ghoshta is very beautiful and he has a veena in his hand. A separate shrine for kubera is there. Since, swami shown his grace to kubera, he is called as Akshyalinga ( never decreases). He is also considered as swarnakarshana bairavar in this temple. There is a shrine for venkatachalapthi also inside the temple.

Route: It is on the way to nagapattinam--thriuvarur. (might be half-way). The temple is located in the main road itself.

Pranams

Sthalam: Piraanmalai
Swami: Kodungundreesar
Ambal: Kuyilamuda nayagi

There are three shrines here like sirkazhi (bhumi, antariksham, swargam). This is a hill temple. In the base, swami is in shivalinga form (kodungudreesar). In the middle of the hill, he is in the form of Bairavar and in the top he is in the form of Nallamangaibaagar.

One cannot see a rich sculpturous work of this particular nallamanagibagar shrine anywhere. Next to avudaiar temple, I will say this temple as my favourite. The basement and middle shrines are like normal ones. In the shrine on the top of the hill, Swami showed his marraige darshan to sage agasthya. To see this, all the devas came there. There is a devasabai infront of the shrine, where you can see the real artwork. Swami and ambal are also very very beautiful. The hands of swami and ambal will be clasped each other. Only white colour flowers (Particularly jasmine) is allowed in the shrine. Swami and ambal are like real husband and wife there and hence, there is always "Ekandha seva".

The bairavar is also very powerful.
Brahma, saraswathi, subramanya, and nandhikeswra worshipped here.

In legend, it is said that vayu and adhiseshan had a tough bet between there once to break the mountain meru. The adiseshan revolved over the whole mountain and vayu tried to break that. At a stage, all the devas prayed adiseshan to stop this game and hence, seshan just moved a little bit and by the time, vayu moved bit of the mountain. One of the bit has fallen here as Kodungundram. This hill is also called as "Prachandagiri".

There is no temple nearby. It is totally a remote village. Legend says that "Pari vallal" has ruled this mountain and they said this as his parambu malai.

Route: It is near singampunari. 35km north to sivagangai and 24 km from tirupattur.

Note: The steps are nice to go up. Anyhow, no vinch facilities and all. A small mountain only. Dont wait for bus. There is no frequent services. Also, dont expect any good hotels or lodges nearby. You can make it from madurai or Tirupattur.

Pranams

Sthalam: Thevur
Swami: Devapuriswarar, Devaguru Nathar, Kathalivanesar
Ambal: Madhurabashini, Thenmozhiammai

Route: Just 4 kms from Keevalur.

Legend: திருவாரூரில் இருந்து 15 கி.மி. தொலைவில் இத்தலம் இருக்கிறது. அருகில் உள்ள மற்றொரு சிவஸ்தலம் சிக்கல் 8 கி.மி. தொலைவில் இருக்கிறது. இத்தலத்து இறைவனை தேவர்கள் வழிபட்டு அருள் பெற்றதால் தேவபுரீசுவரர் என்றும், குருபகவான் வழிபட்டு அருள் பெற்றதால் தேவகுருநாதர் என்றும் இங்குள்ள இறைவன் வணங்கப்படுகிறார். கோசெங்கட் சோழன் கட்டிய மாடக் கோவில்களில் இத்தலத்து ஆலயமும் ஒன்றாகும். மூன்று நிலைகளை உடைய ராஜகோபுரத்தின் வழியாக உள்ளே நுழைந்தவுடன் தென்புறம் தேவதீர்த்தம் இருக்கிறது. மூலவர் தேவபுரீசுவரர், இறைவி மதுரபாஷினி ஆகிய இருவரும் கிழக்கு நோக்கி அருள் பாவிக்கின்றனர். தலவிநாயகர் வலம்புரி விநாயகர் என்று அழைக்கப்படுகிறார். கருவறையின் பின்புறச் சுவற்றில் எப்போதும் காணப்படும் லிங்கோத்பவருக்கு பதிலாக மகாவிஷ்னு காட்சி கொடுக்கிறார்.

The plaintain tree is the sthala vruksha

Note: A very remote village. Dont expect any sort of facilities like hotels and all. Better club keevalur and thevur at a single stretch.

Pranams

Sthalam: Thevur
Swami: Devapuriswarar, Devaguru Nathar, Kathalivanesar
Ambal: Madhurabashini, Thenmozhiammai

Route: Just 4 kms from Keevalur.

Legend: திருவாரூரில் இருந்து 15 கி.மி. தொலைவில் இத்தலம் இருக்கிறது. அருகில் உள்ள மற்றொரு சிவஸ்தலம் சிக்கல் 8 கி.மி. தொலைவில் இருக்கிறது. இத்தலத்து இறைவனை தேவர்கள் வழிபட்டு அருள் பெற்றதால் தேவபுரீசுவரர் என்றும், குருபகவான் வழிபட்டு அருள் பெற்றதால் தேவகுருநாதர் என்றும் இங்குள்ள இறைவன் வணங்கப்படுகிறார். கோசெங்கட் சோழன் கட்டிய மாடக் கோவில்களில் இத்தலத்து ஆலயமும் ஒன்றாகும். மூன்று நிலைகளை உடைய ராஜகோபுரத்தின் வழியாக உள்ளே நுழைந்தவுடன் தென்புறம் தேவதீர்த்தம் இருக்கிறது. மூலவர் தேவபுரீசுவரர், இறைவி மதுரபாஷினி ஆகிய இருவரும் கிழக்கு நோக்கி அருள் பாவிக்கின்றனர். தலவிநாயகர் வலம்புரி விநாயகர் என்று அழைக்கப்படுகிறார். கருவறையின் பின்புறச் சுவற்றில் எப்போதும் காணப்படும் லிங்கோத்பவருக்கு பதிலாக மகாவிஷ்னு காட்சி கொடுக்கிறார்.

The plaintain tree is the sthala vruksha

Note: A very remote village. Dont expect any sort of facilities like hotels and all. Better club keevalur and thevur at a single stretch.

Pranams

Durga,

Good information.

Keep it up

I read your third poem also.

It is really good.

All the best

Visa balaji & cricket ganesh

Namaskaram

I came to read an article in contemporary newspaper on some “modern” temples.
Like VISA BALAJI temple in Chilkur ,Hyderabad, “Cricket Ganesh” in Chennai etc
The following is the link I read.

HindustanTimes ePaper
(page 15,Nov 01)
I hope members will have more to contribute on such interesting temples and worship places.

Greetings

Chilkur balaji temple is nice temple. Very small one. But you can see hell a lot of devotees visiting that. Everyone will be having a sheet in their hands and ticking the rounds they completed. the faith is if you finish 108 rounds you will get VISA to go foreign nations. The main thing I wish to mention is the bhattarcharya there, he says the namas of god in clear voice with mike and talking in almost all south indian languages. Much pleasing.

Pranams...

Though I have not visited this temple near Hyderabad so far, I have heard of it thro' my Telugu friends. It is a common belief amongst the youth that if they visit this temple on 5 consecutive Sundays, they will easily get U.S. visa. Especially those who want to go to USA for pursuing M.S. are emotionally attached to this temple. Many of the successful youth have attributed their making it to this Balaji's grace.

One more point. I have noticed that in most of the Perumal Kovils spread over the country, some archakas, if not all, are from places like Kanchipuram, Srirangam etc.
of Tamilnadu and hence they speak fluent Tamil.

For example, Birla Mandir, Hyderabad, Balaji Temple, Solapur, Balaji Temple, Phanaswadi, near Churney Road, Mumbai, Balaji Temple, Gokuldam, near Goregaon, Mumbai have Tamil vaishnavites as archakas. No need to mention about Tirumala temple, Badrinarayana temple at Badrinath, Ahobilam in Kurnool district, A.P. etc.

I think the same thing applies to perumal kovil at Pittsburg and other places in USA and UK.

Because of this, we are able to listen to mellifluous paasurams in Tamil at these places in mornings and evenings and also get the famous prasads like Perumal kovil puliyodarai.

We feel at home and are very happy, when we visit these places.

Sthalam: Thirupugalur and Thirupugalur Varthamaneeswaram
Swami: Varthamaneeswarar
Agneeswarar

Ambal: Karundalkuzhali
Manonmani

Speciality: Appar swami attained mukthi here only
Legend:
Lord Siva wanted to test Thiru-navuk-arasar (Appar) at Thirupukalur. So when Appar was doing his services in the temple, the Lord made the entire floor appear as though it was strewn with gold and diamonds. To Appar, gold and diamonds were worthless as straw. So, he collected all of them and threw them in a near-by tank.
Again, the Lord made celestial damsels appear before him and tempt him with their charms. Appar remained undisturbed. His entire heart and soul was centered on the lotus feet of the Lord.
Having passed all the tests Lord Siva gave him, Appar spent the rest of his life there and at the age of 81 merged himself in Lord Siva.

Route: On the way to nannilam-nagapattinam. Just 8 kms from nannilam. The temple is very near to the main road. It is also a small village. Dont expect anything there.

Sthalam: Thirupathur
Swami: Thiruthaliswarar
Ambal: Soundaranayagi

Shrines of Importance: YOGABHAIRAVA (important shrine even than shivalinga of thiruthaliswarar)

Route: This temple is located in between Madurai and Karaikudi and can be reached by road from both the places. It is located about 65 Kms. from Madurai, 20 Kms. from Karaikudi and about 35 Kms. from Sivagangai.

Legend: The prominent snakes Vasuki and Kaarkotakan worshipped Lord Shiva here and hence the separate shrine for Tirunageswarar in the outer 3rd prakaram. Also according to the legend, Goddess Mahalaskhmi once wished to have a darshan of Lord Shiva's dance. Lord Shiva conceded to her request and told her that she can have a vision of his dance at this sthalam. Accordingly Shiva is said to have revealed a vision of his Cosmic Dance known as Gowri Thandavam to Goddess Mahalakshmi here.

Lord Yogabhairava is in sitting posture (Iam not sure anywhere else we can see like that). He is like mendicant and in yogic posture. He fulfills whatever wish we submit to him it seems.

A very big temple.

Note: The temple is situated in heart of the city thirupathur (It is near karaikudi. Dont confuse with vellore-thirupathur). So, you can expect all sorts of facilities there.

Sthalam: Thiru appudaiar kovil (thiruvappanur)
Swami: Rishabeswarar, Appudaiar
Ambal: Kuravam kamazhum kuzhalal, Suganthakunthalambal
Theertham: Rishaba theertham

Legend: The name 'Aappudaiyaar' comes from the word 'Aappu' - a wedge that was mistakenly worshipped as a Shivalingam by a Pandya ruler is said to have transformed miraculously into a Shivalingam. Shiva is also believed to have miraculously caused grains of sand to turn into rice during the time of a debilitating famine, hence the name Anna Lingeswarar.

Route: This sivasthalam is located at Sellur, a part of Madurai city. Town bus services are available from Madurai Periyar bus stand. Route No.17, 17A, 17C buses from Periyar bus stand go via this temple and one has to get down at Tiruvaappudaiyar Kovil bus stop. One can also reach this temple from Simmakkal, a part of Madurai city. From Simmakkal bus stop, one narrow street leads you to Vaigai river and by crossing the river and walking a short distance, one can reach this temple.

Note: It is located within Madurai city premises only. You can expect even ***** facility nearby. You can enjoy the dharshan with pleasure.

STHALAM: Deivadanapatti
MOORTHI: Moongilanai Shri Kamakshi Devi
THEERTHAM: MANJALARU

Route: It is near Periakulam and Andipatti (You can get buses upto deivadana patti, from there wait and get minibus for Moongilanai). By car, it will be Ok always.

Timings: The temple will be opened from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Legend: Goddess Kamakshi killed a demon, Mayasura near this place and to get cool, she is doing penance here. There are so many so many new things in this temple

1. There is no ambal at all. I mean you cannot see visible idol form in the sanctom sanctorium to worship.

2. There is no sanctum sanctorium at all. I mean you cannot see the Garbagruha also as it remained closed forever. All the poojas are done only to the doors of the shrine here.

3. The offerings here are quite different. The coconuts will not be halved and bananas will not be eye-opened (it means just a prick will be done always as a sign of naivedya, here that wont done)

4. Only pure ghee is used for lighting the lamps. That too if you provide ghee to the temple, they can use that only six or seven months later. They have such a stock. But the astonishment is they will keep your ghee as such in a open-godown where you can see lots and lots of ghee pockets, ghee vessels and all. But not even a single ant or fly you can see there.

5. The festival here is Mahashivarathri. Only on this day, the roof of the holy shrine is repaired and rethatched. A separate sect of people from Batlagundu, who will be in fasting for 45 days, will tie their eyes with black cloth and thatch the roof without seeing what is the thing inside the shrine.

6. As mother is doing penance here, she doesn't want any disturbances. So the town has been shifted a long from this temple. So temple will be alone near a greenery forest in the foothills of kodaikanal and manjal aru (Haridra nadhi) will be flwoing nearby. The scenary there will be like you wont leave the place if you go there.

7. The cow-sheperd who saw kamakshi as a small child drinking milk from "EENADA KIDRAI PASU" (It means a cow, which has not given birth to young calf. So, naturally expecting milk from such cow is a follish attempt. But kamakshi beacuse of her power did everything), lost his eyesight. Then with the grace of mother, he regains it after touching the idol of kamakshi. (So this sthala is famous for getting eye-sight and also for getting remedy from eye-disorders).

LEGEND: After this sheperd lost his eye-sight, mother appeared in the dream of zamindar and said him that "after a week, great rain will splash the city and the manjal aru will be flooded. in that flood, i will come to save you". Similarly, after a week, Haridra nadhi got flooded and a bamboo case came in that. The case was stopped by the bamboos grown in that river-side. Hence the name (MOONGIL- bamboo; ANAI- stopping), (MOONGILANAI). In a hastiness, all the people worshipped amba without halving the coconut and pricking the banana. Amba was totally happy on seeing the bakthi of those people and said them let they continue their worship like this itself. She also added that only "MAAVILAAKKU" should be offered as maha neivdyam ever.

After certain period, there was a fight aroused between Manradiyars (the pusaris of Kamakshi at that time) and zamindar, and zamindar asked them to leave the place. Angrily, the manradiyars cursed the temple that "let the door closed by us shall closed forever" and so only even now we are unable to see the sanctum sanctorium. Even now, the manradiyars sect of people never come to this temple. They even dont walk in this road at all.

The kamakshi amman, is so divine, whatever we wish in our heart, she will fulfill that. The temple will be so calm, without any disturbances we can worship. A very very very nice temple I have ever seen.

I WISH EACH AND EVERY READER OF THIS POST TO HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DARSHAN OF THE TEMPLE.

Pranams

Sthalam: KUCHANOOR
Moorthy: Shri Saneeswara bhagawan
Theertham: SURABI (Raja Vaikkal- a small tributary from suruli falls)
Vruksham (Holy tree): Vidathalai

We all know much about saneeswara bhagawan. For every one, thinking of sani always correlates with "Thirunallaru". But, here is the other temple (very calm, isolated, powerful) for saniswara.

Route: This temple is located near to theni (20 kms). Dont expect any facilities here. This is a very small village.

Legend: This is the only temple in South India which is mean solely for Saneeswara Bhagawan. Saniswara here is a suyambu moorthy. You cannot expect any sorta perfect idol for him as in Thirunallaru. Temple is open from 6 A.M. to 1.00 P.M. and 4 P.M. to 8.30 P.M.

For more details regarding the legend

http://podbazaar.castmetrix.net/download/1...yamKuchanur.mp3

The suyambu idol of saniswara has 6 eyes (Eyes of brahma-vishnu-maheswara) and hands and legs just fitted.

Lot of beautiful pictures of this temple are available in this site

http://www.southdreamz.com/temples/other-temples/sri-saneeswara-baghwan-saturn-temple-kuchanur

The temple is very small. A small vinayagar shrine is located near the channel itself. The main shrine of saniswara is there. Apart from that, shrines of "Kaval deivam and a siddhar" were also there.

THIRUCHAAYAVANAM (CHAAIKADU)
Swami: Rathna chayavaneswarar
Ambal: Kuyilin in mozhiammai (kokilavani)
Theertham: Iravaa theertham

Route: It is very near to Thiruvenkadu (Famous budhan sthalam). You can go from sirkazhi. Chayavanam temple is located in the main road itself (Towards poompuhar). It is a very small village. You wont get anything there.

Legend: Athithi, mother of Indira was harbouring a desire to come to earth and worship Chayavaneswarar. Therefore, she landed on the earth. Indira was searching for the missing mother and found that she had come to earth. To fulfill the desire of the mother, Indira wanted to take the temple to his place pulling it through his white elephant Iravadha. While he made the attempt, Mother Parvathi made a sound that was sweeter than that of a nightingale, hence the name to the Goddess. Lord Shiva also appeared before Indira and told him to drop the idea of taking the temple to his place and advised him to do the worship on Earth itself and be blessed.

Visesha moorthy: Shri subramanya (Ursavar)

Shri subramanya holds the bow and the arrow instead of his usual weapon Velayudham, readying for the war against Soorapanma. It is also said that the idol of Lord Muruga was found in the sea and taken from there to the temple. Muruga also wears the Veeragandamani (anklet) in his right leg, presented by Father Lord Shiva. Those who have fear of enemies, worship this Muruga for freedom from enemy fear. While Mother Shakthi offered the Vel to Muruga, the Lord gave him the Veeragandamani. Those who come and worship here sum up all courage to advance in life.

"Iyarpagai nayanar", who is one among the 63, belongs to this village.

The temple puja time is from 7.00 a.m. to 12.00 a.m. and from 4.00 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.

NEARBY: You can see Thiruvenkadu temple, chayavanam and also pallavaneeswaram in a single visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back