• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmin Girls Marrying (Attracted towards) NB Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
sangom,

did not know that mercy had passed away. God Bless her soul.

there is a very shameful act associated with the guruvayoor temple in relation to this couple. the temple refused them admission, because mercy was not hindu.

shame, i felt....but that is history, albeit, only about less than 5 years old

this piece of advice coming from ravi is very surprising, for its honesty. i did not think it is the norm for our folks, particularly politicians to discuss their private life, especially romance. but then i know only tamil nadu. keral maybe refreshingly different.

mine was an arranged marriage and i tried to remember what it was like. big adjustment in the sense, suddenly there was someone with me day in and out and from then on.

it was during eating times that i felt most impacted. i come from an household where there is little chat. we eat in a hurry. My mother’s rule was that the food should disappear as soon as it is ladled out.

Whereas my bride, came from a large family, and used to make the dinner sessions a family discussion, and used to drag for more than an hour. this was family bonding time.

on one occassion, soon after wedding, during our thani kudithanam initiation, it so happened, I had eaten the food almost full, and here she was watching me in wonder, as she had not even started on the main even. I got a good dose, and since then (on most occasions) reformed. even yesterday she was pulling my leg over this aspect of my behaviour.

I understand, re the adjustment part post wedding now. I have white friends, who turned overnight from lovey dovey to demon partners the day after wedding. I always thought this was a ‘white’ thing. Now I understand, that behaviour is common universally.

There is something intrinsic in the marriage process, which I cannot put into words, but definitely feel, that relationships move on a different plain.
Dear Shri Kunjuppu,

Re. the guruvayur incident, I feel Ravi was in the wrong. He knew very well that K.J. Yesudas had not been allowed inside GVR. Knowing that very well, he wanted to show his "power" and without asking for the Temple's views and seeking their permission, he fixed his son's marriage there, in the feeling that his power would carry the day. They said his son was a Christian, baptised, etc., and so the marriage could not be conducted inside the temple. This is what I know about it.

Smt. HH,

It comes under the initial paras, like this:

When Love Blossoms

Romantic love, Dr Fisher explained in a lecture at the 2004 American Psychiatric Association’s annual meeting, is not an emotion. Rather, it’s "a motivation system, it’s a drive, it’s part of the reward system of the brain." It’s a need that compels the lover to seek a specific mating partner. Then the brain links this drive to all kinds of specific emotions depending on how the relationship is going. All the while, she went on to say, the prefrontal cortex is assembling data, putting information into patterns, making strategies, and monitoring the progress toward "life’s greatest prize."
I think this has no specific reference to the dopamines. It looks like Dr. Fisher's overall assessment of 'love' only.

Sir, all emotions are generally understood to be the work of biochemical / hormonal changes in the brain. When researchers , esp psychiatrists, speak of 'love' or any emotion, they will study it in terms of biochemicals only but will explain it in terms understood by all. Therefore I find it quite impossible that Fisher gave 'own' opinions without mentioning dopamine or serotonin or oxytocin, etc. I will read the full paper and post on it....

Regards.

I think this has no specific reference to the dopamines. It looks like Dr. Fisher's overall assessment of 'love' only.

Dear Shri sangom, while Fisher may not have talked about it, there are studies that have shown that romantic love activates the brain’s dopamine system, much as addictive behaviors like gambling or drug use do. Please see this NYT article. This is why a B girl in love with an NB boy, can't see the NBness of the boy that the parents and the other members of a conservative society can. This is also why blaming the girl, or the girl's parents is irrational.

Love in its essence is an evolutionary-biology construct that serves a very definite purpose for reproductive and survival success. In this sense it is purely physical.

Now, when it comes to romantic love, I don't think it is restricted to the mere act of mating and wanes off after consummation. I think, romantic love is a feeling honed by evolution for reproductive and survival success. The ultimate prize is gene survival and replication. For this, just the act of mating is not sufficient. There must be reasonable guarantee that the offspring carries your genes and the offspring is successful in finding a mate and successfully procreates. A love that goes beyond just the act of mating is very important for all this to happen.

The process of natural selection has obviously favored DNA that provided its carriers (i.e. us) the proclivity to fall in love and show commitment to the chosen partner. The way DNA makes its carrier susceptible to love is by providing this dopamine high. Those with such susceptibility -- in common parlance, lovers -- are relatively more successful in the reproduction/survival game. So, there will always be lovers. Love just cannot be curtailed. This is true even in the animal kingdom -- males of many species stick around and help with rearing, a form of love. There are some animal species that mate for life.

Happy, IMO, love at no stage is lust. Love may include physical passion early on and wane over the years. But, lust is one-sided, it is selfish, it could be violent. All this may give a lustful person some degree of success in mating, but mating is only the starting block in the race for gene survival and replication. Success in this race is measured in the long run. Lust will be an impediment for this. In other words, a lustful person will face real difficulty to pass on his/her genes to the next generation and will naturally become scarce.

Cheers!

Recap.....

This thread was started by member 'rprasad79' with a personal story which shocked him and wanted a discussion on (and i quote)

I hope many people would have encountered the same and I just want the thread to have some useful discussion in regards of the following matter
1. How come now a days Brahmin Girls are not interested towards our guys
2. How come these girls are getting courage. ....

The first response he got was from member 'malgova.mango' and it says
'You will be more shocked , with replies you get from here. So be prepared, and expect the very worst.
May God bless you with a shock absorber heart.'
It is interesting to see the twist and turns this thread had taken to the discussions in recent days.....

If an liberal wants to raise his/her kids by teaching them about
1) 1) Spurious stories from puranas.
2) 2) Tell its all in the Brain cells / chemicals and its all okay
3) 3) Drinking, womanizing etc is all an experience in egalitarian society

Then, that is the way they look at society.

For others my 2 cents will be

Today kids are exposed to more information (good and bad) at a young age. To make the good ideas stick to them, parents have to be proactive.

Firstly, We should treat them like friends and talk to them about various things regularly if not daily.

We should teach them self-respect and basic values, so that they do not get overwhelmed by revolting ideas in public sphere.

Whatever values we hold dear Vegetarianism, Joint Family, Religious practices, astrology belief etc. We should try and explain them why we hold those values and how it had helped us in the challenges we had faced in life.

For this we got to know the importance of these values and practice it ourselves.

If we do this, in addition to teaching math, science etc there is a good chance our kids will look for those values in selecting their companion (with or without parents help).

Most of our parents / grand – parents did that to us. I think that is why ‘The Story of Ramayan’ is so popular in India. It has been told and retold a million times across generations in India.

I’m not interested in a response that under-cuts ‘The Story of Ramayan’ :)

thanks,

Recap.....

This thread was started by member 'rprasad79' with a personal story which shocked him and wanted a discussion on (and i quote)

I hope many people would have encountered the same and I just want the thread to have some useful discussion in regards of the following matter
1. How come now a days Brahmin Girls are not interested towards our guys
2. How come these girls are getting courage. ....

The first response he got was from member 'malgova.mango' and it says
'You will be more shocked , with replies you get from here. So be prepared, and expect the very worst.
May God bless you with a shock absorber heart.'
It is interesting to see the twist and turns this thread had taken to the discussions in recent days.....

For others my 2 cents will be

Today kids are exposed to more information (good and bad) at a young age. To make the good ideas stick to them, parents have to be proactive.

Firstly, We should treat them like friends and talk to them about various things regularly if not daily.

We should teach them self-respect and basic values, so that they do not get overwhelmed by revolting ideas in public sphere.

Whatever values we hold dear Vegetarianism, Joint Family, Religious practices, astrology belief etc. We should try and explain them why we hold those values and how it had helped us in the challenges we had faced in life.

For this we got to know the importance of these values and practice it ourselves.

If we do this, in addition to teaching math, science etc there is a good chance our kids will look for those values in selecting their companion (with or without parents help).

Most of our parents / grand – parents did that to us. I think that is why ‘The Story of Ramayan’ is so popular in India. It has been told and retold a million times across generations in India.

I’m not interested in a response that under-cuts ‘The Story of Ramayan’ :)

thanks,

sures,

i suspect that many many parents treat their children the way you describe. let us give the parents their dues for doing this.

but i also suspect that the cause and effect theory seldom works when it comes to children. i have seen children of decent parents going kuttichevaru, and vice versa, kids with their heads on their shoulders, coming out of disfunctional families.

whatever the lessons that we give our children, there is no guarantee that these will be the underpinings of their behaviour when they grow up.

the reality i think, is that in these days of busy schedules time is of essence and valuable essence at that too. so the time spent by a working mother on her child is minimal, and fathers do not necessarily fill in the gap.

we are seeing probably the third generation of latch key children in chennai, kids coming home to an empty house with mother father working. they develop self reliance at an early age. they are able fend for themselves much earlier than their parents, and in many cases, are better informed about the goings on in this world.

many many parents also, do not lament the marriage of their tambram girls outside of the caste. in fact surprisingly these are noticeably absent in all these discussions in this thread.

maybe we need wider participation to get better perspectives of what is going on.

i think the starter of ths thread was rather naive about his opening statements re 'how comes'. hopefully, he is not a parent of a marriageable girl. more likely, a late aged tambram guy unable to find a spouse within the community.

rprasad is long gone, but this thread gets spurts of life over and over again. just like hanuman's tail it keeps growing. so be it. there must be some value in it. somewhere.

....maybe we need wider participation to get better perspectives of what is going on.
Yes K, this is what we dearly lack. But then, they have their own lives to live and enjoy. They don't have any time for the preservation of this nebulous thing called tradition that seems only to be whatever each of us would like it to be, what we like to observe, and not what is inconvenient, any tradition that is an impediment to make that almighty $ or Rs., well they can be be cast aside quietly. Only those traditions that can neatly fit into our weekends are important.

There are many orthodox brahmins even today who would like to shield their children from the evil influences of regular school and would like them to go only to vedapatashala and associate only with observant brahmins. I respect them for they believe in the tradition to the extent of putting their lives on the line. How many here who desperately want to preserve tradition are prepared to opt out of the modern educational system and send their boys to Vedapatashaala and keep girls strictly at home -- no school for the girls?

What a disaster it would be if we teach our children to think critically, encourage them to use some of the brain cells that eons of evolution has endowed them. Any thinking outside of what will find them a good job and lot of money is just a waste of time and dilutes our values?

No, no, no, we have to make sure our kids are taught to accept what we tell them -- don't ask too many questions, asking questions is அதிங்கப்ரசிங்கித்தனம் and persisting on it will be விதண்டாவாதம். Good and moral people don't ask questions, they obey. After all, the sages who lived "millions" of years ago were trillion times more intelligent than all the brain power of all the people living today all put together.

well well...

nara,

always delighted to read your postings.

i cannot help feeling poignant at the many postings here. folks like you and me, care more, i think, about not only the preservation of our culture but to grow in tamil nadu.

one cannot grow by shrinking. this is where inclusivity comes in.

to take an analogy in the usa, the most ridiculously conservative republicans are bobby jindal & nikki haley (both brown skinned opportunists). i have to hand it to these guys that they have neutralized the skin colour factor by posing holier than thou stands on crazy issues.

i have nothing in common with either bobby or nikki, but in some strange way they have opened doors for our children in the political spectrum.

i should say that my own effort here, has been more of that. i suspect that certain folks are angry with my stand, and in a way i miss them, for together we have so much to contribute, but this one issue divides us completely.

surprisingly, this is an issue where you, i or anyone else in this forum has no control. i suspect the depriveds of the tambram youth have champions here.

a son or nephew who sacrificed his twenties for the family and looking forward to his just reward, suddenly finds the tables turned and what should be rightfully his, denied.

i understand and feel the anguish. but the solution is not to beat a dead snake. instead, it is to be creative, think out of the box and above all, compromise to find the best solution for the ends - if it is marriage, go for it but do not set yourself for a hopeless scenario of failure.

i intend to keep going in this thread as long as there is some life in it. because, every now and then, comes someone, concerned and confused. hopefully, he/she can go through the posts and find somewhere some hints towards a solution that is applicable to him/her. or even a hint.

to everyone, God Bless. go in peace.

Dear Sri Sangom Sir,

I just now went thru the paper : The Brain in Love and Lust Dr Fisher has indeed co-related brain scans with specific areas of the brain related to hormonal activity. And Dr Fisher too has divided 'love' into 3 categories 1) lust, 2) attraction, 3) Attachment. From whatever few papers i went thru in the past two days, am able to understand it this way:

1) Love and lust are 2 different things (but can be linked in the initial stages of lust).

2) Love is not yet understood. It remains mysterious.

3) The human brain seeks 'love'. Love is inextricably linked with living life.

3) Researchers are still talking about lust and mating only (called 'love), and find that it leads to attachment (also called 'love'). Attachment is signified with a sense of calm, peace, and stability one feels with a long-term partner.

4) Mating can take place without attachment.

5) However, even for mating, a human brain cannot mate with anyone just like that. It seeks a specific partner. No one knows how and why the brain chooses a specific partner (karma ?). So that is probably why a man who marries 300 times out of social compulsion, ends up having 1 or 2 'favorite' wives--perhaps the favorite wife provides him the mental security zone of comfort, friendship and companionship resulting in attachment (love).

6) When a person feels attraction or mad passionate love, his serotonin levels are low, dopamine and norepinephrine levels are high. Later when a person starts on a sexual life, his serotonin levels normalise, possibly due to the release of oxytocin. Dr Fisher says that since high levels of oxytocin and vasopressin may interfere with dopamine and norepinephrine pathways, it may explain why attachment grows as mad passionate love fades.
[This is reflected in Sri Raghy's case. There need not be 'sexual urges' at early stages. It is more of attraction, and obsession with the companion, which some term as 'infatuation' leading to calm, peace, and stability or 'attachment' But then reseachers are actually talking about how attraction leads to attachment. And in Sri Raghy's case he was already in 'love', which means he was already mentally 'attached' to his wife during courtship. But we also need to rrememebr that 'love' per se is not understood from the science pov yet].

7) The human brain cannot break-up with its partner easily. Break-ups often leads to depression. http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/content/39/8/73.1.full

8) Romantic love, Dr Fisher believes, is a stronger craving than sex. People who do not get sex do not kill themselves. But people who do not get love can kill themselves.

I think, humans may differ from other primates in this 'love' scenario. Other primates mate but they need not feel love. Methinks, even if the institution of marriage is removed, the human brain will still seek that 'mental comfort zone' with a single individual only. It may experiment with a few mates but will finally settle for only one. Dasharatha wud have mated with all his wives, but Kaikeyi was his 'favorite'. Draupadi is said to have 'loved' only Arjuna although she mated with all the 5 pandavas. For Krishna, Radha was his favorite (according to some native folktales, there was no physical 'love' between them, instead theirs was a deep sense of 'love' aka attachment, which is calm and peace one feels with a partner).

There may be theories, counter-theories and what not, but finally, although some describe it as 'attachment', what love really is, remains unknown.

Regards.

Last edited:
Dear Shri sangom, while Fisher may not have talked about it, there are studies that have shown that romantic love activates the brain’s dopamine system, much as addictive behaviors like gambling or drug use do. Please see this NYT article. This is why a B girl in love with an NB boy, can't see the NBness of the boy that the parents and the other members of a conservative society can. This is also why blaming the girl, or the girl's parents is irrational.
Dear Shri Nara,

If, as you say, romantic love is on par with drug, gambling, etc., and if romantic love has to be encouraged at all costs,does it not follow that parents should also encourage their children if they get a taste for drugs, gambling and other such addictions because these are also as sacrosanct as romantic love caused by the holy dopamines and nothing to do with a person's rational thinking faculty? Contrarily, if you feel that the parents can and should sit in judgment and dissuade their children from addictions, what prevents the same rule from being applied to romantic love?

I am not very convinced about the "gene preservation" scenario you describe. Does nature guarantee that the parents (who marry out of romantic love) live longer than than those who marry out of arrangements? If at least there is some statistical indication for this, perhaps your theory can have some acceptance; otherwise it is clear that even after all this evolution, nature does not discriminate between pure animal-like mating and copulation as a result of romantic love.

Since the west had a crisis particularly after WWI and there were less numbers of young men and a large number of women who were in their reproductive years and without male partners, those societies underwent a change from the previous Victorian norms and these changes have, over the century, culminated in what is now happening in those countries. And when you people from the west sing paeans about the dating and divine romance etc., etc., please do not be under the illusion that we here are ignorant of all that goes along with such practices right from the school children. You may say that the Indians/Tambrams there are free of such practices but that is hardly convincing. (Incidentally, I had made a remark in one of my earlier posts that our Tambram bachelors who work in US/UK etc., used to prefer girls brought up in India. I have learnt from some of them the reasons also. Their reasons clearly show the utter sexual permissiveness among youngsters in schools and colleges there. But, anyway, because of the shortage of girls, the boys have now come to accept girls from there. Since the second generation girls do not prefer boys who went to work there, these boys are now marrying girls who also went there for higher education and jobs.)

Love in its essence is an evolutionary-biology construct that serves a very definite purpose for reproductive and survival success. In this sense it is purely physical.

Now, when it comes to romantic love, I don't think it is restricted to the mere act of mating and wanes off after consummation. I think, romantic love is a feeling honed by evolution for reproductive and survival success. The ultimate prize is gene survival and replication. For this, just the act of mating is not sufficient. There must be reasonable guarantee that the offspring carries your genes and the offspring is successful in finding a mate and successfully procreates. A love that goes beyond just the act of mating is very important for all this to happen.
I think the "romantic love" phenomenon is a result of cultural imposition by the society and has nothing to do with gene survival; I have already stated in point #1 above that nature does not seem to favour romantic love any more than random mating. If what you say is correct, how do you explain break-up of marriages after long courtship, which are becoming quite common, and how do we explain the SKSs to which Shri Iyyarooran referred to?

FYI, Dr. Fisher has this also to say:

"Romantic love, Dr Fisher believes, is a stronger craving than sex. People who don’t get sex don’t kill themselves, she said. On the other hand, it is not adaptive to be romantically in love for 20 years. "First of all," she confided, "we would all die of sexual exhaustion." Not surprisingly, the subjects in her study who had been in love the longest (17 months) displayed markers in the brain indicating the beginnings of "the satiation response.""

It is clear therefore, that romantic love does not last long; it gets dissipated. It cannot therefore ensure a life-time bonding instinct.

The process of natural selection has obviously favored DNA that provided its carriers (i.e. us) the proclivity to fall in love and show commitment to the chosen partner.
The Islamic countries generally prohibit the so-called romantic love. Do you have any proof that they have come to any disadvantageous stage in regard to the survival and transmission of their genes, due to this?

The way DNA makes its carrier susceptible to love is by providing this dopamine high. Those with such susceptibility -- in common parlance, lovers -- are relatively more successful in the reproduction/survival game. So, there will always be lovers. Love just cannot be curtailed. This is true even in the animal kingdom -- males of many species stick around and help with rearing, a form of love. There are some animal species that mate for life.
To me it appears that the truth of the situation is what another esteemed member stated; viz., any one has to follow the saying, "while you are at Rome, do as the Romans do". You people are living in the west, your children are growing up there and it is only practical wisdom to follow the practice/s there. But then the mindset that your ways and notions are the best and most civilized way of living, and an attitude of "civilizing" the heathens surviving here, only reveals a missionary type of zeal to convert the people here also to your ways so that there need not be an inferiority in your minds of having swerved from the better ways which the people here try to follow. Such overzealous preaching will only be counterproductive IMO and the net result will be alienating even the moderates who may have been mid-way.

Bravo, Sangom sir,
especially for the last para.
1. If there should be free marriage society, shouldnt there be equall opportunity of education and employment.
2. Should nb community is blessed with providing girls to their boys. who killed their own girls by way of female foeticides. It is happening everywhere in India on large scale. except Brahmin because of their modesty/virtue and Muslim because of their religious convictions; every other caste esp among hindus is killing their daughters. please go through another thread crime against women for mor informations.

Bravo, Sangom sir,
especially for the last para.
1. If there should be free marriage society, shouldnt there be equall opportunity of education and employment.
2. Should nb community is blessed with providing girls to their boys. who killed their own girls by way of female foeticides. It is happening everywhere in India on large scale. except Brahmin because of their modesty/virtue and Muslim because of their religious convictions; every other caste esp among hindus is killing their daughters. please go through another thread crime against women for mor informations.
Shri Hoover,

I think it is my duty to inform you that personally I am not against inter-caste or even inter-religious marriage except if I know the other person (boy or girl) is a Muslim, and does have linkage with terrorism. But I also fully understand that while it may be possible for me to not care about the society's objections, views or ostracisation (which does not exist among tambrams, as a matter of fact), this may not be the case with every one in our community. That is why, in another thread (or is it this thread itself) I was very much in favour of local inter-caste marriages between compatible castes rather than inter-brahmin marriages with brahmins of other areas. But when I found out that people have some difficulty in going in for local icms, especially in a public forum like Naveenaswayamvaram, I brought it to notice of the members here.

As Shri Pannvalan said, changes are happening here also. Let us allow them to take their own natural course instead of trying to overemphasize the virtues of love marriage. And, as you might have already seen from the posts here, even our people abroad are not completely egalitarian in the sense that they will happily consent and support if their son or daughter or grandchild starts loving a girl or boy from Osama Bin Laden's immediate relatives who are there in the US. Their answer (and perhaps false hope) is that their children will not get into any such unacceptable romances. I find it a very weak and unsustainable argument.

Having said that I sincerely feel that you should reconsider your views which seem to be mainly flowing from an extreme antipathy towards NBs, for reasons which are not known to us. So far I have not come across any case in which a NB boy has compulsorily taken away a brahmin girl against her wishes. It has always been the pattern that in college or workplace the tambram girl somehow gets attracted to NB boy rather than to a tambram or some other brahmin boy. It may be that the NB boys have something in their hormones to attract the tambram girls. But then it is more a mistake on the part of the tambram girl and not the NB boy who is not consciously doing anything. It is as much the failure of the tambram girl's parents to have allowed their daughter such freedom, IMO.

In the olden days women valued their devotion to their husband (pAtivratyam) as a great thing; now, if physical attraction, genetic survival strategies and brain chemicals are going to decide matters, where is the guarantee that a more attractive man/woman will not be able to break the marriage? Does the brain science which is cited by our friends categorically prove that such attractions are not possible? Genes will survive and get propagated in any case.

sri sangom sir,
In para three you have mentioned that nb boys arent taking forcefully b girls. It may be right for the parts in country where law and order still exist as it was in British days. But so many cases of these type(icm by force) also happen. it include constant teasing, blakemail and other pressure tactics.
2. If not individual but a govt. policy is creating such conditions then there is no point in denying the truth. Govt. is doing the work for NB boys. the effect of caste based reservations and womens reservations create these conditions in composite.
though a good and balanced post. showing cracks on other sides too.

Last edited:
Dear Shri Sangom Sir,

Kindly allow me to intervene regarding this portion only:

FYI, Dr. Fisher has this also to say:

"Romantic love, Dr Fisher believes, is a stronger craving than sex. People who don’t get sex don’t kill themselves, she said. On the other hand, it is not adaptive to be romantically in love for 20 years. "First of all," she confided, "we would all die of sexual exhaustion." Not surprisingly, the subjects in her study who had been in love the longest (17 months) displayed markers in the brain indicating the beginnings of "the satiation response.""

It is clear therefore, that romantic love does not last long; it gets dissipated. It cannot therefore ensure a life-time bonding instinct.

Going by the paper The Brain in Love and Lust , the above has a follow-on. I request you to read the above quoted sentences in conjunction with the follow-on:

Romantic love, Dr Fisher believes, is a stronger craving than sex. People who don’t get sex don’t kill themselves, she said. On the other hand, it is not adaptive to be romantically in love for 20 years. "First of all," she confided, "we would all die of sexual exhaustion." Not surprisingly, the subjects in her study who had been in love the longest (17 months) displayed markers in the brain indicating the beginnings of "the satiation response.

In a related undertaking, Dr Fisher found evidence that romantic love exists in 150 societies, even though it is discouraged in many of them. But with many women from these countries now entering the workforce and acquiring a sense of independence - together with medical science keeping us relatively younger longer - we can expect to see romantic love on the rise worldwide, she predicted..
Bring it on.

When Love Fades

High levels of oxytocin and vasopressin may interfere with dopamine and norepinephrine pathways, Dr Fisher explained in the same talk, which may explain why attachment grows as mad passionate love fades. The antidote may be doing novel things together to goose the two love neurotransmitters.

When Fisher is talking about 'romantic love' she is apparently referring to the "mad passionate love" characterised by low serotonin and high dopamine levels, which gets satiated and gives way to attachment. The paper is still talking about mating and lust giving way to attachment (love). No one knows why the attachment happens.

Btw, the SKSs that Shri Iyarrooran is talking about is not a wide spread phenomenon. Killing someone requires the mind to become "criminal". One reason that may be contributing to such killings cud be a society that frowns upon divorces and where the social stigma of being a divorcee is high. I would be curious to know if the spouses in the SKS incidents were from conservative families who were forced into arranged marriages by parental pressure, and ended up killing the spouse to become free. I could locate this link reg the manoj and lakshmi story mentioned by Shri Iyyarooran: Bangalore: Techie Killed wife for Lover

Regards.

Dear Shri Sangom Sir,

Kindly allow me to intervene regarding this portion only:

Going by the paper
The Brain in Love and Lust , the above has a follow-on. I request you to read the above quoted sentences in conjunction with the follow-on:

Romantic love, Dr Fisher believes, is a stronger craving than sex. People who don’t get sex don’t kill themselves, she said. On the other hand, it is not adaptive to be romantically in love for 20 years. "First of all," she confided, "we would all die of sexual exhaustion." Not surprisingly, the subjects in her study who had been in love the longest (17 months) displayed markers in the brain indicating the beginnings of "the satiation response.

In a related undertaking, Dr Fisher found evidence that romantic love exists in 150 societies, even though it is discouraged in many of them. But with many women from these countries now entering the workforce and acquiring a sense of independence - together with medical science keeping us relatively younger longer - we can expect to see romantic love on the rise worldwide, she predicted..
Bring it on.

When Love Fades

High levels of oxytocin and vasopressin may interfere with dopamine and norepinephrine pathways, Dr Fisher explained in the same talk, which may explain why attachment grows as mad passionate love fades. The antidote may be doing novel things together to goose the two love neurotransmitters.

Welcome, Smt. HH.

I could not respond to one or two posts from you in this thread. My typing speed is the reason. Secondly my side of the issue is already in my reply to Prof. Nara and you may reply to that also.

I have gone through the web page giving Dr. Fisher's observations. Though I gave only one para therefrom, it appears to me that the subsequent paras which you have now given (and I had read earlier also) do not require me to change my conclusion. I will try to explain.

The bare statements are:

[FONT=&quot]Romantic love is a stronger craving than sex. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]People who don’t get sex don’t kill themselves, she said.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On the other hand, it is not adaptive to be romantically in love for 20 years. First of all we would all die of sexual exhaustion, [/FONT][FONT=&quot](if we have to be in simple romantic love for long, i.e., without sexual enjoyment, I presume.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Not surprisingly, the subjects in her study who had been in love the longest (17 months) displayed markers in the brain indicating the beginnings of "the satiation response. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](That means after a period of 17 months or so of simple romantic love without sexual enjoyment with the loved one, I presume.)

Bring it on.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](This is not very relevant to the topic but more to cater to the audience, in my view. The remark that “romantic love exists in 150 societies cuts both ways. So, there are some societies in which romantic love is absent. What are the genetic factors for such a condition, whether it is due to regression or evolution of genes, needs to be addressed. Don’t you agree. Dr. Fisher also says that in many socities this romantic love is discouraged. Without substantiating the case for making romantic love as a necessary, desirable and a higher step in evolution, she simply goes on to exhort as if it is a campaign to popularise some addictive item like drug, alcohol, gambling, etc., as Shri Nara explains the role of dopamines. I feel it is just playing to the gallery and telling the audience what they would like to hear.)

When Love Fades

High levels of oxytocin and vasopressin may interfere with dopamine and norepinephrine pathways, Dr Fisher explained in the same talk, which may explain why attachment grows as mad passionate love fades
. The antidote may be doing novel things together to goose the two love neurotransmitters.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I feel Dr. Fisher’s findings as reported in this web page are tailored to humour the public. Oxytocin’s relation to human sexual activity/response is not very clear; its effects in pair-bonding in humans does not seem to have been studied at all. Even there are no detailed, conclusive and controlled studies about the differences in sexual arousals between male and female and the exact role played by the various brain chemicals in these. Oxytocin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]evokes feelings of contentment, reductions in anxiety, and feelings of calmness and security around a mate. In order to reach full orgasm, it is necessary that brain regions associated with behavioral control, fear and anxiety are deactivated; which allows individuals to let go of fear and anxiety during sexual arousal. Many studies have already shown a correlation of oxytocin with social bonding, increases in trust, and decreases in fear. One study confirmed that there was a positive correlation between oxytocin plasma levels and an anxiety scale measuring the adult romantic attachment. This suggests that oxytocin may be important for the inhibition of brain regions that are associated with behavioral control, fear, and anxiety, thus allowing orgasm to occur.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Oxytocin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)[/FONT]

In recent years, there has been particular interest in the role of vasopressin in social behavior. It is thought that vasopressin, released into the brain during sexual activity, initiates and sustains patterns of activity that support the pair-bond between the sexual partners; in particular, vasopressin seems to induce the male to become aggressive towards other males.[3]

Evidence for this comes from experimental studies in several species, which indicate that the precise distribution of vasopressin and vasopressin receptors in the brain is associated with species-typical patterns of social behavior. In particular, there are consistent differences between monogamous species and promiscuous species in the distribution of AVP receptors, and sometimes in the distribution of vasopressin-containing axons, even when closely-related species are compared.

Vasopressin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Notes:

1. Again there is no study in humans in this regard.

2.It may be noted that when we talk of monogamous species of animals it is not a Ram-Sita scenario. The pair stay together for one or more mating seasons but the broods will show different pairs of genes proving that polygynic and polyandrous behaviour also goes on side by side. This trait has been proved now even in the case of swans – due to genetic analysis - which were supposed to be monogamous for a long time due to such a baseless belief.)

I am not discussing Dr. Fisher's advice, viz., "
The antidote may be doing novel things together to goose the two love neurotransmitters."

When Fisher is talking about 'romantic love' she is apparently referring to the "mad passionate love" characterised by low serotonin and high dopamine levels, which gets satiated and gives way to attachment. The paper is still talking about mating and lust giving way to attachment (love). No one knows why the attachment happens.
What she likes to term "attachment" appears to be the satiated calmness after orgasm along with a certain sense of possessiveness which manifests as aggressiveness towards other males (suspicion of others taking away one's mate). The role in the female is not clear.

Btw, the SKSs that Shri Iyarrooran is talking about is not a wide spread phenomenon. Killing someone requires the mind to become "criminal". One reason that may be contributing to such killings cud be a society that frowns upon divorces and where the social stigma of being a divorcee is high. I would be curious to know if the spouses in the SKS incidents were from conservative families who were forced into arranged marriages by parental pressure, and ended up killing the spouse to become free. I could locate this link reg the manoj and lakshmi story mentioned by Shri Iyyarooran:
The point I would emphasize is that the man was in love with a former colleague who had applied for divorce. It is rather a curious coincidence that only some hours before I had posed the doubt:
"In the olden days women valued their devotion to their husband (pAtivratyam) as a great thing; now, if physical attraction, genetic survival strategies and brain chemicals are going to decide matters, where is the guarantee that a more attractive man/woman will not be able to break the marriage? Does the brain science which is cited by our friends categorically prove that such attractions are not possible? Genes will survive and get propagated in any case. "

Since you are more knowledgeable about genetics, brain hormones, etc., kindly correct me if my deductions are wrong. Thank you.

Last edited:
Dear Shri Sangom, greetings!

First and foremost, It is not my position that Tambrams must adopt the mores of the west. It is not my position that Tambram parents must consider icm. My position is, based on the science I have read, if a Tambram girl falls for a NB boy, it is because of some biological forces acting in her brain that has some similarities to the reward structure that results in addictive behavior.

Further, culturally and socially, the zeitgeist among Tambrams has moved from its ultra-conservative past. So, considering all this, a Tambram girl's love for an NB boy, if it happens, need not be opposed on the grounds of caste alone, it need not be a cause to condemn the girl or condemn the way her parents brought her up.

.... If, as you say, romantic love is on par with drug, gambling, etc., and if romantic love has to be encouraged at all costs,does it not follow that parents should also encourage their children if they get a taste for drugs, gambling and other such
No sir, it does not follow. Similar reward response does not mean identical in all respects. Further, not all addictions are destructive. BTW, I am sure I never said romantic love has to be necessarily encouraged, let alone at all costs. Romantic love just happens. How parents deal with it must be determined on a case by case basis. In this, caste need not be given any importance.

addictions because these are also as sacrosanct as romantic love caused by the holy dopamines and nothing to do with a person's rational thinking faculty? Contrarily, if you feel that the parents can and should sit in judgment and dissuade their children from addictions, what prevents the same rule from being applied to romantic love?
There are many forces that are at play. Parental guidance is an important success factor in fulfilling the prime imperative of survival and procreation. The cultural memes passed down to us are standing in the way of accepting icm because that itself could be a threat to the prime imperative. But, this meme is undergoing mutations and in the present day, the meme that accepts icm will get naturally selected and survive to the next generation. After a critical mass is reached, the mutated meme will have the power to make icm the norm to the extent it may not even be called icm. At that time, people reading history would wonder what the fuss was all about.

In other words, all I am saying is, for right now, parents facing love and possible icm in their family, need not fret about it. Consideration of caste purity need not be given importance.

I am not very convinced about the "gene preservation" scenario you describe. Does nature guarantee that the parents (who marry out of romantic love) live longer than than those who marry out of arrangements?
I am not an evolutionary biologist, and neither am I good at presenting complicated concepts in a convincing way. My understanding is based on two books I read few years ago and a ton of web posts, blogs, and articles. These two books are, (i) The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins and (ii) How Mind Works by Stephen Pinker. Please look at my comments in this context.

My considered opinion on the matter of love is, it is a helpful biological condition for survival and procreation. Love can be present or absent, at one time or another, in either types of marriage, one that is arranged by parents, or the ones arranged by the mates themselves.

IMO, love is not social conditioning, formal marriage is. Before humans invented marriage, it was love that made couples to stay together and raise the off springs -- in some societies this may even be a group of men and women procreating and rearing. Those who were loving were able to succeed in the prime imperative and that is the reason the feeling of love has survived.

There are species that express only reproductive love, they mate and go about their own ways. Some even abandon their off springs to fend for themselves. There are also species that are normally docile, but will fiercely defend their off springs putting their own lives on the line. These are different kinds of love and they are found in our species as well.

For whatever reason, my speculation is male domination, marriage was introduced as a social contract between a man and a woman to stay together and care for the off springs. The social norm against divorce is so intense that love other than the carnal one has become unnecessary for rearing success.

But, the biological forces shaped over hundreds of millions of years cannot be undone by social conditioning of a mere 5000 years. Love, between a man and a woman, a man and a man or woman and a woman, between a mother and child, between parent and children, love for fellow-humans, they all arise from our genes. It is biological.

Marriage is social conditioning that is trying to make all love except the carnal one redundant. I see loveless marriages all around. Libido wanes with age and there is love no more because the social conditioning says to the couple that you two need to stay together no matter what. So we see so many loveless marriages.

If what you say is correct, how do you explain break-up of marriages after long courtship, which are becoming quite common, and how do we explain the SKSs to which Shri Iyyarooran referred to?
If I am allowed to speculate, this itself is perhaps an indication of love being biological and marriage is social conditioning to manage that urge. Forced marriage to breakup love may be at the root of such horrendous criminal acts as SKS.

.. But then the mindset that your ways and notions are the best and most civilized way of living, and an attitude of "civilizing" the heathens surviving here, only reveals a missionary type of zeal to convert the people here also to your ways so that there need not be an inferiority in your minds of having swerved from the better ways which the people here try to follow. Such overzealous preaching will only be counterproductive IMO and the net result will be alienating even the moderates who may have been mid-way.
Ouch, this hurts...

In this topic of icm I have only advocated understanding and support for the girl, no more. Who am I to "civilize" anybody. Neither am I qualified to evaluate what is civilized and what is not. Preaching is counterproductive, I agree, and if I am guilty of it I was not aware of it, and I tender my unconditional apology. For my edification and future avoidance please point this out to me.

.... even our people abroad are not completely egalitarian in the sense that they will happily consent and support if their son or daughter or grandchild starts loving a girl or boy from Osama Bin Laden's immediate relatives who are there in the US.
I am not sure what you mean by egalitarian in this context, but by this if you mean we need to be tolerant of diversity, yes. But if you mean individuals must treat everyone equally, then I disagree, there is no obligation for individuals to be that. They get to like or dislike people based on their own value judgments. My position is, caste does not belong in the formula that we subconsciously use in arriving at such judgments. If a parent thinks a child has made a wrong choice then it is imperative on the parent's part to guide the child. Forcing the child is the worst way to do that, east or west, civilized or uncivilized.

In the olden days women valued their devotion to their husband (pAtivratyam) as a great thing; now, if physical attraction, genetic survival strategies and brain chemicals are going to decide matters, where is the guarantee that a more attractive man/woman will not be able to break the marriage? Does the brain science which is cited by our friends categorically prove that such attractions are not possible? Genes will survive and get propagated in any case.
Devotion to husband is social conditioning devised for the benefit of men. I hope I have stated my position as clearly as I can earlier in this post.

From what I have read and understood, the ultimate prize in the game of life is not mating alone, but survival and procreation of the next generation as well. Fidelity to partners is of value for this. pAtivratyam is a way of demanding this fidelity from women without having to work for it by showing love to our partners.

A wife after a few years of marriage may feel physical attraction towards a younger and virile Adonis, but there are parts of her own gene that will also work, behind the scenes so to speak, and make her overcome this urge, as giving in to such urges may be the wrong strategy for the prime imperative. Some may succumb to this temptation, and that is just the way it is even in strict prudish societies. Who can guarantee such things do not happen among Tambram women?

Best regards!

Dear Knujuppu sir,
i suspect that many many parents treat their children the way you describe. let us give the parents their dues for doing this.

but i also suspect that the cause and effect theory seldom works when it comes to children. i have seen children of decent parents going kuttichevaru, and vice versa, kids with their heads on their shoulders, coming out of disfunctional families.

whatever the lessons that we give our children, there is no guarantee that these will be the underpinings of their behaviour when they grow up.

the reality i think, is that in these days of busy schedules time is of essence and valuable essence at that too. so the time spent by a working mother on her child is minimal, and fathers do not necessarily fill in the gap.

we are seeing probably the third generation of latch key children in chennai, kids coming home to an empty house with mother father working. they develop self reliance at an early age. they are able fend for themselves much earlier than their parents, and in many cases, are better informed about the goings on in this world.

It’s indeed true that today’s economy needs both parents to work to meet the needs and the child comes home to an empty home. It’s in this regard having grand-parents at home, close knit societies are necessitated.

I’m not saying parents are doing nothing. I’m only saying parents should do that more today (than previous generations, at that time atthai, mama who lived next door had conditioned the kids) because of the exposure the kids get these days.

I agree with you, in most families father does not fill the gap (void). He is still busy with politics, cricket etc.

If we give positive exposure and the kid still goes to kuttichevaru, its his/her destiny, atleast the parents tried. Rather than the parent on seeing the kid in kuttichevaru, and saying it’s all how brain cells work, chemicals, gene etc…

maybe we need wider participation to get better perspectives of what is going on.

Teaching kids good values like Vegetarianism, Joint Family, Religious practices, astrology belief or Even No Drugs, Drinking, lessen bad western influence (like pre-marital relationship, living together, one night stands etc) are not orthodoxy.

The commies in the society/forum may intentionally want to confuse the mass by equating it to extremes of orthodoxy. Its only in the confused state, their defeated ideas will have any resonance. We should identify these commi ideas early and nip in the bud!

i think the starter of ths thread was rather naive about his opening statements re 'how comes'. hopefully, he is not a parent of a marriageable girl. more likely, a late aged tambram guy unable to find a spouse within the community.

rprasad is long gone, but this thread gets spurts of life over and over again. just like hanuman's tail it keeps growing. so be it. there must be some value in it. somewhere.
As far as rprasad the shock treatment this forum gave him, should have fixed the smaller shock he got from his family. He should be friends with his sis-i-l by now!!

thanks,

Dear Knujuppu sir,

It’s indeed true that today’s economy needs both parents to work to meet the needs and the child comes home to an empty home. It’s in this regard having grand-parents at home, close knit societies are necessitated.

sures, there is no guarantee of grandparents in the house. the couple could be living in another city. the grandparents could still be in the workforce. remember that since 1960s it has been the norm of tambram women to be in the workforce.

also, there could be grandparents who simply do not wish to go through another cycle of child rearing. it is a demanding job and after all they have done their share in bringing up their own kids. now to be saddled with grand kids could be deemed as unwanted burden, which they might not want to take on.

they want to enjoy their retirement too, after putting through a lifetime of work. is that not reasonable?

let us consider the sensibilities of the grand parents. many of them, these days, are financially secure, and have no need to live under the same roof as their son or daughter, and be the chief cooks, bottle washers, shoppers and baby sitters. essentially the son/dil become hotel guests in their own home.

i hope this is only fair to ask.

for example, my wife and i, are of the previous kind and the children know it.

let us ponder on the above thoughts for some time and try not to fit every family into idealized cookie cutters.

one other thought. 'close knit' is a state of mind. not of physical presence. atleast i think so. in these days of instant communication right across the world, 'close knit' becomes an option and choice.

i have seen disfunctional families of 3 generations under one roof with perpetual unhappiness and tension.

on the other hand, i know of families separated by continents, who through skype, phone, email communicate with each other every day. and several times too. one does not necessarily split away from family due to distance. that, to me, is a lame excuse.

I’m not saying parents are doing nothing. I’m only saying parents should do that more today (than previous generations, at that time atthai, mama who lived next door had conditioned the kids) because of the exposure the kids get these days.

sures. let us not look back. we cannot turn back the clock. if at all anything time is moving faster, it seems to me. today's athais & mamas have their own families. to tell the truth, i am not sure, if any mother would tolerate an unsavoury comment about her child from either the athai or mama. i think that mode of relationship went out with the last part of 20th century.

I agree with you, in most families father does not fill the gap (void). He is still busy with politics, cricket etc.

i am very saddened to hear this. forty years it killed my girl cousin - exhaustion. two children, a job, an idiot husband who would sit in a easy chair waiting for her to return from work, demand fresh food, and not even help out with the vegetables, bathe the children, help with the homework. too late, he realized her worth after she died. this was the days before the conveniences of today such as washing machines, mixies etc became part of our lives. very sad sir.

now i turn back to you and ask you: is it not the fault of the husband's parents for not having given him the values to treat the woman in his life as a human? how many parents teach their boys how to cook, how to handle the vacuum cleaner, the washing machine, shopping for vegetables? do they inculcate in their sons, that marriage is a partnership with equal division of labour? can a man ever recompensate a woman for the concept of motherhood?

If we give positive exposure and the kid still goes to kuttichevaru, its his/her destiny, atleast the parents tried. Rather than the parent on seeing the kid in kuttichevaru, and saying it’s all how brain cells work, chemicals, gene etc…

sures, all i am saying is there is no guarantee in life. this was in response to several posts here about this topic re a well brought up tambram girl will have no desire for NB. this is bunkum of the first order, and reveals more an ignorance, that is unfathomable. i think so.

Teaching kids good values like Vegetarianism, Joint Family, Religious practices, astrology belief or Even No Drugs, Drinking, lessen bad western influence (like pre-marital relationship, living together, one night stands etc) are not orthodoxy.

let us take the factors one by one:

vegetarianism - i am ok with that. part of family & religious values. still i have found that tambrams once grown up chose to shed this on their own. in my generation almost all tambrams were veggies but on growing up it started off with cigarettes and then meat. if it would make you feel any better, all these fellows, on reaching their 50s or so, give all these up and turn back to veggies again.

joint family: i have given you an analysis at the top of my reply. i will like to ask you as to how in this day and age, you hope even on a random basis, to restore the joint family with a matriarch at the top. the parameters and paradigms that operate as a family has changed and the sooner we accept it, the sooner we can modify our behaviour to provide a harmonious lifestyle. it is all about harmony and conflict of values that i feel we should focus on.

astrology belief: this has nothing to do with brahminism. very personal and should not be in the equation.

'no to drugs' - 100% agree

Drinking - as an adult it is an option for the grown up. a drunken father is himself a glaring example of uncontrolled drinking. let us leave it at that. for a child the evils of alcoholism should be taught.

lessen bad western influence (like pre-marital relationship, living together, one night stands etc) - sir, i
am told that these are the practices of our urban youth. these are not western influences. these are home grown. please understand that. why blame the west for this? these are time bound practices. personally i don't do such things, but i leave to adults to use their discretion.

The commies in the society/forum may intentionally want to confuse the mass by equating it to extremes of orthodoxy. Its only in the confused state, their defeated ideas will have any resonance. We should identify these commi ideas early and nip in the bud!

sures, i wish you would not call anyone commies or any other name. everyone is a honoured member of the forum just like you. i do not think that one has any right to use abusive epithets. it is more a reflection of you, and i wish to think of you as a decent honourable person. please desist name calling right away. it is wrong.

As far as rprasad the shock treatment this forum gave him, should have fixed the smaller shock he got from his family. He should be friends with his sis-i-l by now!!,

whatever. he is gone. i do wish he would drop by and give his two cents worth.

thank you.

Last edited:
Dear Shri Sangom, greetings!

First and foremost, It is not my position that Tambrams must adopt the mores of the west. It is not my position that Tambram parents must consider icm. My position is, based on the science I have read, if a Tambram girl falls for a NB boy, it is because of some biological forces acting in her brain that has some similarities to the reward structure that results in addictive behavior.

Further, culturally and socially, the zeitgeist among Tambrams has moved from its ultra-conservative past. So, considering all this, a Tambram girl's love for an NB boy, if it happens, need not be opposed on the grounds of caste alone, it need not be a cause to condemn the girl or condemn the way her parents brought her up.
Dear Shri Nara,

I am saying that since this issue has been discussed threadbare in this thread (!), repeated emphasis on the point that tambram parents should not only not stand in the way of their girls marrying NB boys, but wholeheartedly welcome such a development, looks as if this advice is being tendered once too many times. It is also necessary for our people to look at the ground realities here. Because of the legal backing which girls have got now, and the inputs from media and friends, etc., in many cases the tambram girls are adamant and won't listen to saner counsel of parents and elders. Caste is a reality here, whatever you or I may say about it, and there are very many aspects which come into play when you live in a certain social set-up. When I find that as soon as this topic comes up, a few of our esteemed members immediately throw all their force into arguing for icm. The reality is that no one in his or her mature outlook will be guided by what a few of us write here (this is at best a hobby for most of us!). Still, it creates an impression that this forum is all for tambrams all becoming sambandhis of non-tambrams at the earliest. I do hope you are able to visualize the position as viewed from here.

No sir, it does not follow. Similar reward response does not mean identical in all respects. Further, not all addictions are destructive. BTW, I am sure I never said romantic love has to be necessarily encouraged, let alone at all costs. Romantic love just happens. How parents deal with it must be determined on a case by case basis. In this, caste need not be given any importance.
We have already discussed our views about 'romantic love'. I may state that in my view and experience, this notion of romantic love (rl) is something which has been drummed into popular imagination. You hold that it is not. But the very fact that rl is also caused by dopamines which create addictive dispositions of the human brain, would indicate that this rl is also similar.

There are many forces that are at play. Parental guidance is an important success factor in fulfilling the prime imperative of survival and procreation. The cultural memes passed down to us are standing in the way of accepting icm because that itself could be a threat to the prime imperative. But, this meme is undergoing mutations and in the present day, the meme that accepts icm will get naturally selected and survive to the next generation. After a critical mass is reached, the mutated meme will have the power to make icm the norm to the extent it may not even be called icm. At that time, people reading history would wonder what the fuss was all about.
I agree that with the present state of legal protection available to girls here, their current attitudes, the helplessness of parents in guiding their daughters if they make a not-so-good choice, etc., your prediction will prove correct. But once again, while my personal views may be different, it is not necessary to unnecessarily accelerate the changes; if by sheer bad-luck the tambram community is able to survive for a few more centuries without getting dissolved into many other castes/sub-castes, why should that be prevented? Perhaps anthropologists some 200 years hence may find the tambrams an interesting study just as the Andamanese are now. BTW, even the western elite are supportive of the preservation of the aboriginees and their purity, their languages, habitat, etc. now; why not allow a small fraction of the same right to the tambrams?

In other words, all I am saying is, for right now, parents facing love and possible icm in their family, need not fret about it. Consideration of caste purity need not be given importance.
Caste is legally not abolished. To that extent it is not wrong to hold on to caste. This is possible in India but perhaps not in the west where the second generation children will have barely any semblance to a child born and brought up here. Why should not a parent expect that his/her daughter should marry within the caste? We should note here that tambrams have mostly given up the notion of sub-castes and may be the sect barrier will also vanish in a few years.

I am not an evolutionary biologist, and neither am I good at presenting complicated concepts in a convincing way. My understanding is based on two books I read few years ago and a ton of web posts, blogs, and articles. These two books are, (i) The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins and (ii) How Mind Works by Stephen Pinker. Please look at my comments in this context.
Nor am I, as you know well. But commonsense makes one think that if rl is a method of nature to ensure the survival of the kids till they can pass on the genes further, there should be some evidence to show that the rl couple generally live longer, live together without divorce, etc.

My considered opinion on the matter of love is, it is a helpful biological condition for survival and procreation. Love can be present or absent, at one time or another, in either types of marriage, one that is arranged by parents, or the ones arranged by the mates themselves.
This is not clear to me. When you say "can be present or absent, at one time or another" do you mean that romantic love may come and go? If so how can it be a helpful condition for survival? Or are you referring to the usual tiffs between lovers and couple?

IMO, love is not social conditioning, formal marriage is. Before humans invented marriage, it was love that made couples to stay together and raise the off springs -- in some societies this may even be a group of men and women procreating and rearing. Those who were loving were able to succeed in the prime imperative and that is the reason the feeling of love has survived.
Sorry, Shri Nara. though you will not normally write anything without sufficient supporting evidence, I am compelled to ask whether you have any reliable evidence to substantiate:
1. Before humans invented marriage, it was love that made couples to stay together and raise the off springs,
2....in some societies this may even be a group of men and women procreating and rearing. (but these groups mutually loved as couple love each other, that is each of the women loved each of the men with romantic love and vice versa, and there was a household consisting of x number of husbands and y number of women.)

There are species that express only reproductive love, they mate and go about their own ways. Some even abandon their off springs to fend for themselves. There are also species that are normally docile, but will fiercely defend their off springs putting their own lives on the line. These are different kinds of love and they are found in our species as well.
Bears come somewhere in between, I think. The female drives the male away after copulation.

For whatever reason, my speculation is male domination, marriage was introduced as a social contract between a man and a woman to stay together and care for the off springs. The social norm against divorce is so intense that love other than the carnal one has become unnecessary for rearing success.
Marriage as a contract is just a notice to the society at large that a particular male and female have become mates. There are societies (I hope they are still there in the Himalayan region) where a woman takes 5 husbands and each marriage is celebrated in their own manner. There are also socities practising polyginy in which also each marriage is celebrated. And there are castes, within the hindu fold itself, in which divorce is easier than "talaaq". One example was given by one of our esteemed members; it referred to a female housemaid who said if she just sends back the "thaali" to her husband he will no longer come to her and she can marry someone else. The second is the well-known nair tarwads of Kerala. If the lady does not keep a lighted "kuthuvilakku" in the verandah outside the bedroom, the husband (called "sambandhakkaaran") should not come and trouble, and if this gets repeated for a few days, he should understand that he has become a permanent persona non-grata. With such recent examples it is difficult to believe that the custom of marriage was for male domination only.

But, the biological forces shaped over hundreds of millions of years cannot be undone by social conditioning of a mere 5000 years. Love, between a man and a woman, a man and a man or woman and a woman, between a mother and child, between parent and children, love for fellow-humans, they all arise from our genes. It is biological.
Here I think you mix romantic love with all other kinds of love. It also seems that you give the male-dominated (according to you) marriage system a history of 5000 years. Do we have any evidence from Egypt, the oldest recorded civilization that marriage was for male domination? Did they not marry siblings?

Marriage is social conditioning that is trying to make all love except the carnal one redundant. I see loveless marriages all around. Libido wanes with age and there is love no more because the social conditioning says to the couple that you two need to stay together no matter what. So we see so many loveless marriages.
Here again, when you say "all love except carnal love", after grouping together every type of love in the previous para, confusion arises. Is it your contention that marriage has put and end to motherly, fatherly, etc., love? When you lament that you see loveless marriages all around, am I not entitled to conclude that you are describing the state of affairs in your country, US? Libido wanes, of course, with advancing years, but I can honestly tell you that it also creates affection, for both the wife and the husband, speaking from my experience. A sort of comrade who has been though thick and thin, sharing joys and sorrows, bringing up children, like two bullocks in a yoke.

If I am allowed to speculate, this itself is perhaps an indication of love being biological and marriage is social conditioning to manage that urge. Forced marriage to breakup love may be at the root of such horrendous criminal acts as SKS.
You have not touched the other side of the story, viz., love between a married woman and a third person. There is no indication that this love was there even before the former colleague got married. If it were so, the report would have mentioned that IMO.

Ouch, this hurts...

In this topic of icm I have only advocated understanding and support for the girl, no more. Who am I to "civilize" anybody. Neither am I qualified to evaluate what is civilized and what is not. Preaching is counterproductive, I agree, and if I am guilty of it I was not aware of it, and I tender my unconditional apology. For my edification and future avoidance please point this out to me.
My comments arose because the force with which the case in favour of icm is being presented for quite some time here seemed to be excessive, giving the impression of a zeal to ensure icms here among tambrams. Shri Kunjuppu also was equally vigorous in this regard and it gave fillip to such an impression. Perhaps only if you come over to this side and place yourself in the exact situation of many of the tambrams here, it will be evident to you.

I sincerely apologize for the hurt I have caused.

I am not sure what you mean by egalitarian in this context, but by this if you mean we need to be tolerant of diversity, yes. But if you mean individuals must treat everyone equally, then I disagree, there is no obligation for individuals to be that. They get to like or dislike people based on their own value judgments. My position is, caste does not belong in the formula that we subconsciously use in arriving at such judgments. If a parent thinks a child has made a wrong choice then it is imperative on the parent's part to guide the child. Forcing the child is the worst way to do that, east or west, civilized or uncivilized.
Unlike the society in which you live, here caste is very much alive and kicking. To expect people of tambram community alone to discard the caste notion and permit icm is not a desirable course. Why not we assume that the tambrams here also know the situation, that they will suitably alter their notions, customs and manners, etc., as and when they feel it is necessary? In the meanwhile if some parents object to their daughters loving an NB is it not correct to view that they are wise enough to make their own judgment in the matter?

Devotion to husband is social conditioning devised for the benefit of men. I hope I have stated my position as clearly as I can earlier in this post.

From what I have read and understood, the ultimate prize in the game of life is not mating alone, but survival and procreation of the next generation as well. Fidelity to partners is of value for this. pAtivratyam is a way of demanding this fidelity from women without having to work for it by showing love to our partners.

A wife after a few years of marriage may feel physical attraction towards a younger and virile Adonis, but there are parts of her own gene that will also work, behind the scenes so to speak, and make her overcome this urge, as giving in to such urges may be the wrong strategy for the prime imperative. Some may succumb to this temptation, and that is just the way it is even in strict prudish societies. Who can guarantee such things do not happen among Tambram women?

Best regards!
I agree it started so. But now there is a lot of improvement and reciprocity as well. The situation will apply I think irrespective of whether marriages are on the basis of love and courtship, or whether they are arranged ones.

......... Shri Kunjuppu also was equally vigorous in this regard and it gave fillip to such an impression. Perhaps only if you come over to this side and place yourself in the exact situation of many of the tambrams here, it will be evident to you.

I
sangom,

i do apologize if i was instrumental in giving the impression that ic is the way to go.

never never thought about it on those lines, if you read my notes carefully.

i have found out since then, people put 2 + 2 and make it 100 or whatever they like to believe.

the issue is tambram girls marrying outside the caste, and all i have written is ways for the parents to cope with it. to me it is more an education of the parents and how to make whatever selection the youths make (boys, girls) in a judicious manner.

everything being equal, i also said, that let the heart rule, and do not judge a boy by his caste alone. if everything else is acceptable, caste can be ignored.

i have lost count of parents, opposing and backpeddling a few years later. why not have the wisdom upfront?

again, we have an issue with unmarried boys. they are soon going to be grandpa ages. i feel sorry for them for being tied by the caste knot, that they cannot tie the thali knot elsewhere.

if you go through my postings, you will find that i care for the community just as much as the average person does here. i am just thinking out of the box for solutions to not unsolvable problems. it is just that one has to open one's minds and keep the end goal in mind - whether it is marrriage (achievable) or marriage within tambram (seems unachievable).

again, i understand this is not a topic many would like to discuss. but shoving it under the carpet, does not solve any issues. atleast we discussed, and if not you or i, maybe someone will find it useful if confronted with similar issue. or atleast have a good read.

thank you.

Dear kunjuppu sir,

I’m guessing you are a defense lawyer for an MNC. You tried to take each of my points and provide contradictory view with the intent of ….(??)

I hope the broader concepts of close knit (under a roof or over skype) and values (vegetarian or whatever one believes in) are not lost in this exercise.

I’m not trying to give a solution that will fit all families all the time. But the broader concepts, one can consider and carry forward.

there is no guarantee of grandparents in the house. the couple could be living in another city. the grandparents could still be in the workforce. remember that since 1960s it has been the norm of tambram women to be in the workforce.

also, there could be grandparents who simply do not wish to go through another cycle of child rearing. it is a demanding job and after all they have done their share in bringing up their own kids. now to be saddled with grand kids could be deemed as unwanted burden, which they might not want to take on.
i hope this is only fair to ask.

Some look forward to the opportunity of seeing divine in grandkids smiles, cries and etc….
Others may look at it as ‘non-paying domestic job. Situations vary from family to family.

one other thought. 'close knit' is a state of mind. not of physical presence. atleast i think so. in these days of instant communication right across the world, 'close knit' becomes an option and choice.

i have seen disfunctional families of 3 generations under one roof with perpetual unhappiness and tension.
on the other hand, i know of families separated by continents, who through skype, phone, email communicate with each other every day. and several times too. one does not necessarily split away from family due to distance. that, to me, is a lame excuse.
sures. let us not look back. we cannot turn back the clock. if at all anything time is moving faster, it seems to me. today's athais & mamas have their own families. to tell the truth, i am not sure, if any mother would tolerate an unsavoury comment about her child from either the athai or mama. i think that mode of relationship went out with the last part of 20th century.

True, with today’s technology close knit need not be under a roof, it can be across oceans. If the kid feels there are so many relations/friends who care for them. There is a good chance parents don’t wake up one day to find their s-i-l at the door. There are no guarantee / warranty in these methods, but these are still relevant in today's living.

now i turn back to you and ask you: is it not the fault of the husband's parents for not having given him the values to treat the woman in his life as a human? how many parents teach their boys how to cook, how to handle the vacuum cleaner, the washing machine, shopping for vegetables? do they inculcate in their sons, that marriage is a partnership with equal division of labour? can a man ever recompensate a woman for the concept of motherhood?
Sure the boy’s parents did not teach him how to share responsibility. In olden days Men took care of outside and woman Inside. If woman had to go outside or men’s job is easy outside, Its obvious he should share work Inside also. If its not already in our System, we should include them.

all i am saying is there is no guarantee in life. this was in response to several posts here about this topic re a well brought up tambram girl will have no desire for NB. this is bunkum of the first order, and reveals more an ignorance, that is unfathomable. i think so.
I agree there is no guarantee, but I don’t agree to the other extreme. Where one lets the chip fall and then consoles himself at the chip position. I believe in the fruits of karma!

let us take the factors one by one:
joint family: i have given you an analysis at the top of my reply. i will like to ask you as to how in this day and age, you hope even on a random basis, to restore the joint family with a matriarch at the top. the parameters and paradigms that operate as a family has changed and the sooner we accept it, the sooner we can modify our behaviour to provide a harmonious lifestyle. it is all about harmony and conflict of values that i feel we should focus on.

astrology belief: this has nothing to do with brahminism. very personal and should not be in the equation.

lessen bad western influence (like pre-marital relationship, living together, one night stands etc) - sir, i
am told that these are the practices of our urban youth. these are not western influences. these are home grown. please understand that. why blame the west for this? these are time bound practices. personally i don't do such things, but i leave to adults to use their discretion.
Joint family -- as stated before in today’s age, it need not be under one roof. Kids have to grow up knowing there are many pillars in the family.
astrology belief – not sure what to say
bad western influence – it was not so cool 50/100 years back, its not cool in rural areas today. Can you explain where these ideas are coming from (kamala hassan or kids reading puranas) ? Very few ideas are original, otherwise they travel from one place to another. Its like westerners saying they invented yoga and claiming royalty.

what is next western influence? teach our 11 year old girls on how to "Shake your Booty" !
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/20/nebraska-girl-kicked-cheerleading-team-shaking-booty/

i wish you would call anyone commies or any other name. everyone is a honoured member of the forum just like you. i do not think that one has any right to use abusive epithets. it is more a reflection of you, and i wish to think of you as a decent honourable person. please desist name calling right away. it is wrong.
To me it’s like calling a cat “a cat” nothing else. I have no regrets and I do not feel a loss of honor by this.

thanks,

Last edited:
thanks sures.

very nice post, except the last para. i think, we should all fell akin as fellow members of the forum. i do not like name calling of any kind. maybe you feel different. some day someone might name call a loved one of yours. you may feel different then. let us show some civlity to each other. is it so difficult?

also, we are not here to outsmart or practise oneupmanship over the other.

and, i do not expect to change anyone's views. except that my views to be heard.

i am no lawyer and am in fact very ordinary fellow. i like the way you pen your views though i disagree with them. your background and your experiences formed what you are now and it would not behoove well of me to reject that. because you could do the same thing to me.

i respect you and hope that it is reciprocated.

let us differ, but we can still be pleasant. maybe we can even get to like each other. this is a good practice exercise for that. as your children grow up, you will find them disagreeing with you on almost all counts. how to love and lead normal conversation in the light of extreme disagreement, is an enviable skillset.

i do not possess it. but may be you can start cultivating it. :)

thank you.

Dear Shri Sangom, Greetings!

Thank you for your detailed note. I may not have convincing answers for all the objections you raise. I will try my best on at least few of them.

It looks to me that at least three issues that are interconnected are involved here, (i) caste, (ii) love, and (iii) icm. Let me start with reiterating my position on these three separately.

IMO, caste system is an albatross around the Brahmin's neck, and the irony is they are wearing it willingly. Whatever may be the ground reality, the sooner the Brahmins can find a way to get out of it the better it is for them. Besides, there is no advantage in clinging to it anyway.

Love -- I think all forms of love including rl have biology at the root. Love is something that make one care for another person. Parental love and love for siblings are examples. rl is also one such love. It is evolutionary forces that shape our proclivity for all these kinds of love. I am not willing to disparage rl and extol other kinds of love.

icm on an individual level is a personal decision, I have no intention of interfering unless invited. As a matter of general discussion, my thinking is on the same lines as that of Kunjuppu.

My comments on icm are directed more at the young couples raising small children right now rather than the ones who are facing this problem, it is already too late for them, they have to suffer the heartaches and pain. My hope is for young couples to raise their kids with the kind of love and support that the kids trust the parents implicitly and thus the chances for heartache and pain when they are all grown up, are minimized.

If there is a feeling that I have tendered this advice one too many times, that is just too bad. All I can say is grin and bear it. I have done that so very often when I had to read stuff that I didn't agree with repeated over and over. If past posts are analyzed I daresay our voices are more than drowned out by the sheer volume and flamboyance of the voices of people who extol caste and disparage NBs.

Further, if what you say is right, i.e. many members of this forum take even the mild suggestion to treat the girls with little more compassion as nothing short of frontal attack on the whole system of arranged marriage, then an adjustment is needed from them, not from me.

Sorry, Shri Nara. though you will not normally write anything without sufficient supporting evidence, I am compelled to ask whether you have any reliable evidence to substantiate:
1. Before humans invented marriage, it was love that made couples to stay together and raise the off springs,
2....in some societies this may even be a group of men and women procreating and rearing. (but these groups mutually loved as couple love each other, that is each of the women loved each of the men with romantic love and vice versa, and there was a household consisting of x number of husbands and y number of women.)
The concept of marriage predates all recorded history. Scant evidence exists to show how it all began. So, we can only advance some theories. Group marriage among x number of men and y number of women, with all sharing rearing responsibility for the off springs existed among Polynesian communities even as late as early 19th century. It may exist even now, I don't know. A sort of group "marriage" is prevalent among bonobos, a primate species like we are.

In all these cases, there is an urge and a desire to stay together and raise the off springs. This desire is a sort of rl. This rl can be clinically dismantled as a commitment of support to the female in exchange for which the female provides access to her uterus. Before the concept of marriage evolved, this must have been the best strategy for males to gain access to procreation. This is why it still exists. This is what we call rl. An evolutionary biologist may provide lot more evidence and much better explanation. I refer you, once again, to Richard Dawkins book The Selfish Gene for more evidence.

Do we have any evidence from Egypt, the oldest recorded civilization that marriage was for male domination? Did they not marry siblings?
Marriage in any society that allows polygamy for men and stigmatizes divorce, or makes it impractical, is male-dominated one. Marriage between sibling in Egypt was only among the royalty, are you sure it existed even among the common people?

Here again, when you say "all love except carnal love", after grouping together every type of love in the previous para, confusion arises. Is it your contention that marriage has put and end to motherly, fatherly, etc., love?
I put all these various kinds of love on par. Motherly love has no precedence over rl.

When you lament that you see loveless marriages all around, am I not entitled to conclude that you are describing the state of affairs in your country, US?
No, I am lamenting about my mother country India, particularly Tambram older generation. In U.S. loveless marriages tend to end in divorce and there is no stigma.

I will not be surprised that a majority of marriages among older TBs are full of love and joy. But, I also think there is a significant number of loveless marriages as well. I have seen a few in my own family.

My comments arose because the force with which the case in favour of icm is being presented for quite some time here seemed to be excessive, giving the impression of a zeal to ensure icms here among tambrams.
I am really at a loss to understand what you describe as "zeal". If I say one need not look at icm as the end of world every time somebody laments about icm, is that zeal, a kind of zeal that forces icm down the throats of tambrams? I really don't get it. The facts are backwards. The conservatives show so much animosity on this issue that often a reasonable conversation is hard to have. I am sorry sir, I just can't accept this characterization.

I sincerely apologize for the hurt I have caused.
I feel very bad to have made you apologize. Of all the people I have come across in this site nobody commands more respect than you. So, please sir, do not apologize to me. You have every right to pull me up and question me. If it hurts, it hurts, and I can and will deal with it. What I am saying is, it is an honor to cross swords with you, please do not pull any punches -- I mixed too many metaphors here didn't I? :)

Unlike the society in which you live, here caste is very much alive and kicking. To expect people of tambram community alone to discard the caste notion and permit icm is not a desirable course.
I am not expecting this either. But I don't want to be excluded from this conversation just because I live outside India. If I am excluded for this reason, what will be next, exclude those who have migrated to the North? Next it would be those who have gone to Bangalore. Sooner or later Tambrams may even want to exclude you sir, you live in Kerala :).

In any case, I do want to have a voice, but I cannot and won't insist that it be taken seriously.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some look forward to the opportunity of seeing divine in grandkids smiles, cries and etc….
Others may look at it as ‘non-paying domestic job. Situations vary from family to family.

sures,

being on the cusp of my supposedly golden years (am 60 now) i am perforce to visit this comment of yours a bit in detail.

sir, i presume from your post, that you are in your 30s or less.

i have 3 children, and one thing my wife and i agreed right after marriage, that our children will be brought up by ourselves and ourselves alone. these are God's gifts to us, and we will put ourselves out to do justice to those gifts.

it was the fashion then, and it appears to be still the same practice 30 years later, to expect parents to come and assist. in canada it is easier, as the parents get their immigration, and so there is strong pressure to remain here, whether the parents like it or not.

child rearing is a labour of love. when it is your child that cries at midnight, for food or colic, you have no hesitation in coming to its succour. the nightly awake hours appear 10 times or more longer. and you have to look to a working day the next morn.

i lost the count of times my children cried at night, and i took upon myself to own this process. my wife had enough during the day, and she needed the good night sleep to prep her up for the next.

now i ask you, is it fair, to ask your mom or dad, 60+ in years, to do do your nightwatch? if these are present in the house, our tradition demands that they get up and take over. if not, atleast they will not sleep. their conscience will not allow it.

our indian grownups abroad with parents in india, i find, are the most selfish in this regard. they would not pay a stay at home nurse, baby sitter but would pay the airfare for the parents, and then squeeze them to the very last penny for the said air travel. in the long run it is cheaper than hiring a local nanny.

seeing God in grandchildren, is another fallacy in my opinion. wishful thinking. let us not dupe ourselves, ok?

no parent of our culture would refuse a plea from a daughter or son, to help out. it is indeed a sad state of affairs, as i see it. the only culture that is worse than ours in this regard are the filipinos. they expect the parents to pay the airfare also.

at my age, i can see my faculties tiring out easy. it must be even more so on my wife, for is she not of the 'weaker' sex? she started working from her teens to support the family, so that the younger siblings will have a good life. sad to say, even though they are all well settled, they would acknowledge the help, but would never open up their purse strings. i think it is the same in all tambram families. the older kids get shafted, the oldest son or daughter the most.

sures, i am speaking from experience. you are still young enough to express what 'should'. to me the reality is 'what is' & 'what was'. the saddest words in any language is 'what could have been'. through my posts here, if i could avoid 'what could have been', atleast to one single individual, i would consider all my efforts worthwhile.

thank you.

thanks sures.
very nice post

i respect you and hope that it is reciprocated.
Thanks for that appreciation and Respect. I surely respect your views.

let us differ, but we can still be pleasant. maybe we can even get to like each other. this is a good practice exercise for that. as your children grow up, you will find them disagreeing with you on almost all counts. how to love and lead normal conversation in the light of extreme disagreement, is an enviable skillset.

i do not possess it. but may be you can start cultivating it. :)
I will surely try and practice civility at face of stark disagreements.

You have a nice way of putting it, a pat in the back and some advise!

thanks,

I have gone through the web page giving Dr. Fisher's observations. Though I gave only one para therefrom, it appears to me that the subsequent paras which you have now given (and I had read earlier also) do not require me to change my conclusion.

Dear Sir,

This discussion in based on views and on available research data (which ofcourse is not all conclusive). Reading up research papers on mate selection, sexual choices, mating patterns, brain chemistry, and so on, is for only our info. I request you to see this discussion as an exchange of views only, and not as something that requires either of us to change our views.

I will try to explain.
The bare statements are:
Romantic love is a stronger craving than sex.
People who don’t get sex don’t kill themselves, she said.
On the other hand, it is not adaptive to be romantically in love for 20 years. First of all we would all die of sexual exhaustion,
(if we have to be in simple romantic love for long, i.e., without sexual enjoyment, I presume.)
I think there is some confusion in the way each of us understands what Fisher means by the term "romantic love". I think she is using the term 'romantic love' in lieu of the term 'mad passionate love' (aka lust-attraction).

In my view, Fisher is still talking about lust-mating factors which finally result in love-attachment. It is apparent that passion does not last too long and it gives way to bonding of the long-term attachment kind. However, no one knows why the brain selects that particular mate even for lust-mating (karma?). And love-attachment is obviously different from lust-mating.

In this point, i think, she means it is not adaptive to live a life of mad passionate sexual life (lust) for 20 years as we wud die of sexual exhaustion. Meaning at some point or the other, the human brain ends up seeking bonding or love or attachment.

This also means that after a period of time, sexual life tends to reduce in a couple's life; and the deep sense of attachment overtakes passion. Hence to re-create the passion, or to keep the physical passion going, Fisher says, a couple needs to do novel things together.

"The antidote may be doing novel things together to goose the two love neurotransmitters." - Fisher.

Not surprisingly, the subjects in her study who had been in love the longest (17 months) displayed markers in the brain indicating the beginnings of "the satiation response.

(That means after a period of 17 months or so of simple romantic love without sexual enjoyment with the loved one, I presume.)
Here perhaps she means, that the subjects of her study displayed sexual satiation after about 17 months of passionate sexual life (meaning her subjects felt satisfied with the sexual side of their life and moved on to the attachment part).

Bring it on.

(This is not very relevant to the topic but more to cater to the audience, in my view. The remark that “romantic love exists in 150 societies cuts both ways. So, there are some societies in which romantic love is absent. What are the genetic factors for such a condition, whether it is due to regression or evolution of genes, needs to be addressed. Don’t you agree. Dr. Fisher also says that in many socities this romantic love is discouraged. Without substantiating the case for making romantic love as a necessary, desirable and a higher step in evolution, she simply goes on to exhort as if it is a campaign to popularise some addictive item like drug, alcohol, gambling, etc., as Shri Nara explains the role of dopamines. I feel it is just playing to the gallery and telling the audience what they would like to hear.)
So far, i do not think there has been research linking absence of romantic love with genetic factors for such a condition !!

I persume Fisher means social conditioning is the de facto reason why romance is prevented in some societies, and not due to genetic factors. And i happen to persume that is what Fisher meant, bcoz she mentions female independence contributing to rise in love-cases, after mentioning discouragement of romance in some societies.

Reg the underlined lines, Fisher cannot say anything that contradicts the results of her study and of brain chemistry in general anyways. So am not sure if it is right to attribute motives to Fisher's work that she is exhorting romantic love or playing the the gallery. She is merely predicting that female independence may result in higher number of love cases. And it does seems true of asian societies..from japan to pakistan female assertiveness due to their economic independence seems to be increasing.

And i think the comparison between things like gambling and love is like comparing apples and oranges. Apart from the commonality that both are fruits and share some common chemicals, they remain two different products. Apart from commonalities like high dopamine levels in Gambling and Love, they are obviously two different conditions.

Pathological gamblers tend to have high testerone levels, but high testerone levels tend to make men abusive in a marriage. A pathological gambler is not satisfied even if he wins, he wants more and he has high risk taking abilities. And that is a psychiatric disorder just like compulsive sexual behavior where a person is sex-obsessed, is not satisfied and takes risks. Infact, one paper shows that testerone levels may decrease with romance-involvement Romantic involvement often reduces men's testoster... [J Pers Soc Psychol. 2006] - PubMed result Which probably means falling in love may help wean a man away from gambling addiction.

When Love Fades

High levels of oxytocin and vasopressin may interfere with dopamine and norepinephrine pathways, Dr Fisher explained in the same talk, which may explain why attachment grows as mad passionate love fades . The antidote may be doing novel things together to goose the two love neurotransmitters.

I feel Dr. Fisher’s findings as reported in this web page are tailored to humour the public. Oxytocin’s relation to human sexual activity/response is not very clear; its effects in pair-bonding in humans does not seem to have been studied at all. Even there are no detailed, conclusive and controlled studies about the differences in sexual arousals between male and female and the exact role played by the various brain chemicals in these. Oxytocin
evokes feelings of contentment, reductions in anxiety, and feelings of calmness and security around a mate. In order to reach full orgasm, it is necessary that brain regions associated with behavioral control, fear and anxiety are deactivated; which allows individuals to let go of fear and anxiety during sexual arousal. Many studies have already shown a correlation of oxytocin with social bonding, increases in trust, and decreases in fear. One study confirmed that there was a positive correlation between oxytocin plasma levels and an anxiety scale measuring the adult romantic attachment. This suggests that oxytocin may be important for the inhibition of brain regions that are associated with behavioral control, fear, and anxiety, thus allowing orgasm to occur.
(Oxytocin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

In recent years, there has been particular interest in the role of vasopressin in social behavior. It is thought that vasopressin, released into the brain during sexual activity, initiates and sustains patterns of activity that support the pair-bond between the sexual partners; in particular, vasopressin seems to induce the male to become aggressive towards other males.[3]

Evidence for this comes from experimental studies in several species, which indicate that the precise distribution of vasopressin and vasopressin receptors in the brain is associated with species-typical patterns of social behavior. In particular, there are consistent differences between monogamous species and promiscuous species in the distribution of AVP receptors, and sometimes in the distribution of vasopressin-containing axons, even when closely-related species are compared.

Vasopressin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Notes:

1. Again there is no study in humans in this regard.

2.It may be noted that when we talk of monogamous species of animals it is not a Ram-Sita scenario. The pair stay together for one or more mating seasons but the broods will show different pairs of genes proving that polygynic and polyandrous behaviour also goes on side by side. This trait has been proved now even in the case of swans – due to genetic analysis - which were supposed to be monogamous for a long time due to such a baseless belief.)

I am not discussing Dr. Fisher's advice, viz., "The antidote may be doing novel things together to goose the two love neurotransmitters."

What she likes to term "attachment" appears to be the satiated calmness after orgasm along with a certain sense of possessiveness which manifests as aggressiveness towards other males (suspicion of others taking away one's mate). The role in the female is not clear.
I do agree that there are not enuf studies on various factors. Which is why "love" remains a mystery. But studies mention that oxytocin is released or its levels rise during climax. And since it is the same oxytocin which causes bonding in mother-child, it is "expected" that oxytocin would play a role in bonding in human sexual behavior. And you have already mentioned the study where there was positive corelation between oxytocin plasma levels and (reduction in) anxiety levels in adult romantic attachments.

And i think there has been some study on AVP in humans. A paper by Larry Young titled “Being Human: Love: Neuroscience reveals all” mentions that in humans, different forms of the vasopressin receptor gene AVPR1A gene are associated with variation in pair bonding and relationship quality. Larry Young quotes a study in that report, which showed that men with a particular AVPR1A variant are twice as likely as men without it to remain unmarried, or when married, twice as likely to report a recent crisis in their marriage. Spouses of men with the variant also express more dissatisfaction in their relationships than wives of men lacking it. So there have been some studies in humans i think.

Fisher seems to have made it clear what she means by 'attachment' in the beginning of the talk itself, that is "the sense of calm, peace, and stability one feels with a long-term partner" The Brain in Love and Lust

The point I would emphasize is that the man was in love with a former colleague who had applied for divorce. It is rather a curious coincidence that only some hours before I had posed the doubt:
"In the olden days women valued their devotion to their husband (pAtivratyam) as a great thing; now, if physical attraction, genetic survival strategies and brain chemicals are going to decide matters, where is the guarantee that a more attractive man/woman will not be able to break the marriage? Does the brain science which is cited by our friends categorically prove that such attractions are not possible? Genes will survive and get propagated in any case. "
The man (Manoj) was in love with a collegue (Anuradha) who according to some newspaper reports was a divorcee. It may be possible that Anuradha was also forced into an arranged marriage. One cannot force a pati on a woman and expect her to show pativratyam.

And if you see the photos, it is clear that Lakshmi (the murdered wife of Manoj) was good looking: The Hindu : Front Page : Wife pays the price for forced marriage But Manoj cud not feel attracted enough to live with her. Love is bonding and attachment. It is obviously different from lust which can be driven by good looks.

I was reading a paper Towards a Neuroscience of Love: Olfaction, Attention and a Model of Neurohypophysial Hormone Action which suggests that elevated oxytocin levels, promoted by romantic love and attachment, cause reduction in levels of bound vasopressin, and an associated fall in attention toward individuals of the opposite sex. Which is why we may expect a person in love-attachement to not show interest in other women or other individuals of the opposite sex. A man may mate due to the social compulsion / expected norms, like Shah Jahan with many wives, however when it comes to love-attachment, men tend to have only one Mumtaz. Or atleast that is what i seem to understand from these papers.

Since Manoj and Anuradha were in love for 2 years, it is highly likely that their relationship had reached the 'attachment' stage. At this stage it wud be nearly impossible for Manoj to live with Lakshmi. But it wud take a criminal to kill. And by killing his wife, Manoj has shown that his mind can be criminal. But in this case, imo, Manoj's parents are the most guilty (for forcing him to marry Lakshmi against his wishes).

Minus the murder part, this case is no different from the case of YSR's daughter Sharmila (a christian) and Anil (a brahmin). Both Sharmila and Anil were in love. Both were married off in arranged marriages to different people. But both could not bring themselves to 'live' with their 'arranged spouse'. Both displayed resistance. Both divorced their arranged-marriage spouse. And finally they married each other. The only prob in this whole story is that Anil became a christian and we know how driven he is to convert people.

Since you are more knowledgeable about genetics, brain hormones, etc., kindly correct me if my deductions are wrong. Thank you.
Sir, all my deductions, opinions, thoughts are subject to abrupt changes. Kindly do not read too much into my posts. Am certainly nobody to influence anyone's deductions. And in such forums, we are only expressing views. So there are no rights or wrongs in this. There are only varying versions of what is right to each person.

Regards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back