• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmin Girls Marrying (Attracted towards) NB Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
reply to # 1009.

Dear shree. Nara,

When a person blindly takes in every thing told by another, he is not qualified to

comment on 'originality'.

He did not regret his rudeness. He has underlined it, so that we won't miss it.

He is too petty even to be forgiven.

I have my own doubts about the nobility of his over all intentions and the

righteousness of his track.

So you too are chronologically younger to me?!Cool!

with warm regards,
V.R.

reply to # 1010.

Dear Mr. Happy Hindu,

You have ready the long list of people born out of wedlock and are quite 'happy'

about the premarital, out of marriage and same sex relationships!

I don't have to refer anywhere for more such revolting information.

If you want to laugh off the words of the scriptures it is your problem. Not mine!

You may do anything you want, but please do not become a devil's advocate.

There are young and impressionable minds in the forum who drink in every word

uttered by the likes of you- never bothering to give it a thought!

with warm regards,
V.R.

Last edited:
I don't have to tell you how to cook Aviyal dear Mrs. VR, (BTW, my wife cooks up one "bad" aviyal, my mouth wells up even just thinking about it), but don't you think the aviyal gets better and better as we add more and more of different vegetables, no? There was a time when aviyal in Brahmin households didn't have carrots, beans, or potato (I am tempted to add an "e" to it, a la Quayle). Now, we in USA add such things as Asparagus, Broccoli, and Zuchinni, and it is divine; these vegetables are now available in India too. The more the variety the more the taste and joy, don't you agree?

best regards ....
Dear Shri Nara,

Talking purely of aviyal - no reference to icm at all, pl. note - it is at its best when the traditional vegetables viz., yam சேனைக்கிழங்கு, சேப்பங்கிழங்கு, kumbhda கும்பளங்காய் (மலையாளம்)*, snake gourd புடவலங்காய், brinjal கத்திரிக்காய், only are used. Addition of other items does not add to that taste but we will eat despite the lower degree of taste.

* This is the most crucial item.

Brahmin caste now these days full of these Devils advocates. They are fiercly intended to pull down what our great ancestors and sages said. reading some western psycopath, paedofiles, homosexuals analysis of human life. well if they want that doors of hell are open for them.
If premarital relations, extramarital relations, and all other promiscuous means of human relations are admissible to these ultra liberals, then why they are shouting in favour of icm there should be nothing which binds human beings like marriage even, according to their orientations. let human and animals have liven in relationships. I pray to god that let these ultra liberals see this phenomena in their own houses.

Brahmin caste now these days full of these Devils advocates. They are fiercly intended to pull down what our great ancestors and sages said. reading some western psycopath, paedofiles, homosexuals analysis of human life. well if they want that doors of hell are open for them.
If premarital relations, extramarital relations, and all other promiscuous means of human relations are admissible to these ultra liberals, then why they are shouting in favour of icm there should be nothing which binds human beings like marriage even, according to their orientations. let human and animals have liven in relationships. I pray to god that let these ultra liberals see this phenomena in their own houses.
Dear Shri Hoover,

May I respectfully say that if at all we (or you) have to be annoyed with someone or something, it is more towards our own media - tv, magazines, cinemas, etc. - and not the few members who speak from their vantage points in foreign countries. FYI, marriage has been becoming a mere symbol and many youngsters enjoy all the pleasures even before and that too in the bastion such as Chennai city itself. What a few of our members have been writing here is nothing as compared to what is actually happening in many parts of this country already.

Now, to your doubt: "If premarital relations, extramarital relations, and all other promiscuous means of human relations are admissible to these ultra liberals, then why they are shouting in favour of icm..." They are, of course, not shouting, but icm will be the culmination of the efforts (trial and error method) to find out whether at least a medium term "family life" can be led between two people (even 'same sex' is now knocking at the door). If it also fails, there is the divorce, and another trial-and-error sequence!! Whether one opposes or favours such changes, these are definitely coming because these are very attractive propositions and we Indians have, historically, a pronounced weakness for anything and everything that is western.

Dear all!

I am sick and tired of the turn the arguments are taking. WE WILL never

achieve anything as long perverted versions are being presented all the time

(side by side) defeating the original aim in starting this thread.

Let God make good sense prevail on the youngsters as well as the elders.

Good bye (for real).

I am happy to finally jump out of this sickening thread.

வீடு பற்றி எரியும் போது
பீடிக்கு நெருப்புக் கேட்பது போலே
சம்பந்தம் இல்லாமல் பேசியே
நிர்பந்தம் செய்வது எதற்காக?

V.R.

Last edited:
reply to # 1010.

Dear Mr. Happy Hindu,

You have ready the long list of people born out of wedlock and are quite 'happy'

about the premarital, out of marriage and same sex relationships!

I don't have to refer anywhere for more such revolting information.

If you want to laugh off the words of the scriptures it is your problem. Not mine!

You may do anything you want, but please do not become a devil's advocate.

There are young and impressionable minds in the forum who drink in every word

uttered by the likes of you- never bothering to give it a thought!

with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear Mrs.Ramani,

Please do not get me wrong. It is not for me to be personally "happy" or "sad" about what some people did ages ago. I was merely bringing home the fact that these things are very much mentioned in our own scriptures. Please look at the celebration of love in Kajuraho and Kamasutra.

I do not understand why you think it is revolting. Nor do i understand why we blame western influence and media, when it comes to love and sex. All am saying my dear Visalakshi Ji is that our shastras have not taught us to be ashamed of sex and sexuality.

Nor do they tell us to be prudish. Instead they have show us that "forbidden things are always tempting". Once something has been tasted, the temptation for it reduces. And after a while, some people are able to forego it completely.

I request you to please read my post again: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/genera...-attracted-towards-nb-boys-101.html#post58532 Nowhere have i laughed off the words of the scriptures.

You said that "Even conjugal bliss is only for the sole purpose of procreating good citizens of the world". But Visalakshi Ji, surely you yourself must have indulged in conjugal bliss without the "sole purpose of procreating good citizens of the world". Which is why i cud not help chuckling at the fact that folks who cite scriptures may not be following it themselves.

Visalakshi ji, let me tell you a case of a young tambram couple. A MIL brought a DIL to a doc to find out why her DIL was not getting pregnant even after 3 years of marriage. The lady revelead to the doc that each time she initiated it, her husband wud call her (his own wife) a "devil" interested in "evil things'.

Visalakshi ji, even great sages have not depreciated sex. Instead they made the fruit "not forbidden" and therefore after tasting the fruit, they moved on to their spiritual pursuits without distractions.

But elders put things into the minds of youngsters as though one must feel guilty each time one does it...(and sometimes elders do manage to create ammanji boys who a tambram girl wud only be ready to give a skip).

And the more one makes it forbidden, the more a young mind will get tempted towards premarital things.

If there are young impressionable minds reading this, i wud like to tell them to wait till they find a mature, honest, trustworthy lifemate. There is no need to think that one must indulge in conjugal bliss only for the "purpose of procreating good citizens". Please live a blissfull married life. And ofcourse this wish for a "blissful married life" also applies to same-sex marriages (IF it so happens).

Thanks.

Last edited:
There is no denying the fact that the west has been influencing the east for a number of decades now. I would say there is not a single thing that has not been given to us from our past that needs to be borrowed from western thought. Anyway my opinion is that the emphasis of the west is more on the ephemeral than trying to achieve enduring happiness. And most of the influence of the west I would say is strongly negative on the youngsters. I can't think of one value of theirs that has and can have a positive influence.

Ancient India and the present west stand on diametrically opposite sides in their philosophy. It is in their nature that they are that way. But why should we go away from the path of nirvana and go towards a black hole that spells total doom.

Justifying obnoxious things like same sex marriage, unwed pregnancy etc on the basis of such instances having happened in ancient India is the height of ridiculousness. Did any of the sages preach or advocate those unlike the case of the west who if they can will institutionalize all these. Please do not try to use the happenings mentioned in the scriptures for such silly justifications. There is a truly big gulf in the class of the ancient rishis and the present westeners.

Sri.Sangom Sir said -

you have the confidence that your children will not select a non-hindu, and you are open to any hindu being your SIL/DIL, there is a boundary line even there and that is "hindu". In India the boundary is still "brahmin" for a large number of Tambrams. Why should that be taken as something very bad and backward? Your circle is larger but here it is smaller, that is all; circles with well-marked circumferences are there in both. The lengthy and probably futile discussions here were caused, in my view, because the smaller circle of most Tambrams here was taken as something very bad and retrograde while the larger circle (which our diaspora have given unto themselves) was seen as something very noble and a high point of culture.

Greetings, sir. I am not saying my children may not choose non-Hindu partner; all I am confident is, they may not go through conversion to a different religion for getting married. They would feel that would be stooping low.

Although I and my wife are very liberal, there is a boundary. I quite understand when caste Brahmins like to marry within their same caste and same sect. I have no objection to that. I don't even consider that as a backward idea. But, if the boy/girl happens to fall in love with a NB girl/boy, why should that not be considered? That's all. I have seen same caste, same sect 'love' marriages. Recently I came across one couple, same Gothrtam. That happened, because they fell in love with each other! So, love can happen anywhere.

My simple point is, if the boy/girl happen to fall in love with a NB girl/boy, kindly don't opose them vehemently. Please look at the proposal with an open mind. If it is a decent and good proposal, kindly place the children's happiness before caste loyalty. That is all.

Cheers!

Dear Mrs.Ramani,

Please do not get me wrong. It is not for me to be personally "happy" or "sad" about what some people did ages ago. I was merely bringing home the fact that these things are very much mentioned in our own scriptures. Please look at the celebration of love in Kajuraho and Kamasutra.

I do not understand why you think it is revolting. Nor do i understand why we blame western influence and media, when it comes to love and sex. All am saying my dear Visalakshi Ji is that our shastras have not taught us to be ashamed of sex and sexuality.

Nor do they tell us to be prudish. Instead they have show us that "forbidden things are always tempting". Once something has been tasted, the temptation for it reduces. And after a while, some people are able to forego it completely.

I request you to please read my post again: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/genera...-attracted-towards-nb-boys-101.html#post58532 Nowhere have i laughed off the words of the scriptures.

You said that "Even conjugal bliss is only for the sole purpose of procreating good citizens of the world". But Visalakshi Ji, surely you yourself must have indulged in conjugal bliss without the "sole purpose of procreating good citizens of the world". Which is why i cud not help chuckling at the fact that folks who cite scriptures may not be following it themselves.

Visalakshi ji, let me tell you a case of a young tambram couple. A MIL brought a DIL to a doc to find out why her DIL was not getting pregnant even after 3 years of marriage. The lady revelead to the doc that each time she initiated it, her husband wud call her (his own wife) a "devil" interested in "evil things'.

Visalakshi ji, even great sages have not depreciated sex. Instead they made the fruit "not forbidden" and therefore after tasting the fruit, they moved on to their spiritual pursuits without distractions.

But elders put things into the minds of youngsters as though one must feel guilty each time one does it...(and sometimes elders do manage to create ammanji boys who a tambram girl wud only be ready to give a skip).

And the more one makes it forbidden, the more a young mind will get tempted towards premarital things.

If there are young impressionable minds reading this, i wud like to tell them to wait till they find a mature, honest, trustworthy lifemate. There is no need to think that one must indulge in conjugal bliss only for the "purpose of procreating good citizens". Please live a blissfull married life. And ofcourse this wish for a "blissful married life" also applies to same-sex marriages (IF it so happens).

Thanks.
HH,

A very forthright expression of truth! But you will be the best person to also know that a certain "victorian" prudery crept into hinduism. When, how and why, are not clear. My guess is that it must have had its beginnings when buddhism and jainism, with their emphasis on asceticism, started becoming popular. Since then we, hindus, have lost the old attitudes towards sex. (FYI, I do not think that what passes for "love" nowadays is anything more than strong sexual attraction which has come to be glorified beyond any reasonable extent. Shri Nara and myself had a discussion about this.)

The topic of this thread viz., "These days I am seeing a huge change in the trend in which the Brahmin girls used to think and act. They are much interested towards NB boys and they want to marry them irrespective of any problems that occur from their parents side.", as stated by the thread starter himself, gives ample logical scope for whatever discussion has taken place about sex, sexuality, emerging sexual norms etc. And, I for one, will not think that our impressionable youngsters are so dumb as to look to what a few people discuss here, (mostly as an exhibition of our vanity and show-off of our knowledge) than go direct to the internet and other social networking sites. Telling them to wait till they find a mature, honest, trustworthy life-mate, will be of not much use in the days to come because, on the one hand they are already mature (physiologically) by the time they come to the college, and, on the other, it takes many more years for them to find a good enough job after which only a marriage can be thought of. That is why I said in my post #1016 that whatever we may like to happen or prevent from happening, certain changes seem to be inevitable; our inherent weakness of aping the western way of life will only accelerate such changes.

The topic of this thread viz., "These days I am seeing a huge change in the trend in which the Brahmin girls used to think and act. They are much interested towards NB boys and they want to marry them irrespective of any problems that occur from their parents side.", as stated by the thread starter himself, gives ample logical scope for whatever discussion has taken place about sex, sexuality, emerging sexual norms etc. And, I for one, will not think that our impressionable youngsters are so dumb as to look to what a few people discuss here, (mostly as an exhibition of our vanity and show-off of our knowledge) than go direct to the internet and other social networking sites. Telling them to wait till they find a mature, honest, trustworthy life-mate, will be of not much use in the days to come because, on the one hand they are already mature (physiologically) by the time they come to the college, and, on the other, it takes many more years for them to find a good enough job after which only a marriage can be thought of. That is why I said in my post #1016 that whatever we may like to happen or prevent from happening, certain changes seem to be inevitable; our inherent weakness of aping the western way of life will only accelerate such changes.
Dear Sir,

Me too wanted to say that impressionable youngsters are not really impressionable anymore. And the last thing they wud do is to get impressed by the things we discuss here (middle aged folks like me feel like some sort of an antediluvian ancient relic with the youngsters these days)...anyways, i added in the last para in my reply lest Visalakshi Ji thinks that i wanted to impress upon young minds...

Regards.

Sri.Sangom Sir said -

Greetings, sir. I am not saying my children may not choose non-Hindu partner; all I am confident is, they may not go through conversion to a different religion for getting married. They would feel that would be stooping low.

Although I and my wife are very liberal, there is a boundary. I quite understand when caste Brahmins like to marry within their same caste and same sect. I have no objection to that. I don't even consider that as a backward idea. But, if the boy/girl happens to fall in love with a NB girl/boy, why should that not be considered? That's all. I have seen same caste, same sect 'love' marriages. Recently I came across one couple, same Gothrtam. That happened, because they fell in love with each other! So, love can happen anywhere.

My simple point is, if the boy/girl happen to fall in love with a NB girl/boy, kindly don't opose them vehemently. Please look at the proposal with an open mind. If it is a decent and good proposal, kindly place the children's happiness before caste loyalty. That is all.

Cheers!
Dear Shri Raghy,

I am in full agreement with what you say. But in my experience, the notion of "love" is a cultivated, artificial one and it is sexual urge, once we take off that artificial gloss that has been put on that word. Perhaps you also had read the posts on this topic between Prof. Nara and myself. I had then asked a question as to whether, if love is so sublime a feeling of attachment, camaraderie, or whatever, why cannot the two people in love spend their lives just as friends, without craving for physical nearness? On this basis, I feel there will be nothing wrong in the parents trying to dissuade a girl or boy from an alliance with a person who is not suitable in their judgment; the basis of unsuitability could as well be caste. Of course, given the legal privileges and protections, the parents today will not be able to pressurize their ward/s to their thinking, but I do not feel that there is any need on the part of the parents to be so cooperative to their fancies.

.... (FYI, I do not think that what passes for "love" nowadays is anything more than strong sexual attraction which has come to be glorified beyond any reasonable extent. Shri Nara and myself had a discussion about this.)
Dear Shri sangom, Greetings!

Love is one of those brain states that is very challenging to adequately define or describe by anyone. But love seems to play an essential role in human survival and reproduction -- the only purpose of life in this universe that can be rationally deduced. One way I try to make sense of this thing called romantic love is to look at it as physical attraction that includes a desire and commitment to be together even after gratification of physical desire, and to seek and fulfill that desire only with each other.

Of course, love can be platonic and can simply remain as deep and enduring friendship. But, in the case of romantic love sharing physical intimacy becomes one of the ways of expressing that love. Physical attraction need not necessarily be viewed as simple infatuation, bound to fall by the wayside after consummation.

We have way too many loveless marriages in our society, yet a bludgeoning population. In the name of propriety men and women are made to stay together. Men have had the advantage for way too long in this arrangement. IMO, emancipation from the chains of conservative mores is not something to be bemoaned.

Cheeers!

Love is one of those brain states that is very challenging to adequately define or describe by anyone. But love seems to play an essential role in human survival and reproduction -- the only purpose of life in this universe that can be rationally deduced. One way I try to make sense of this thing called romantic love is to look at it as physical attraction that includes a desire and commitment to be together even after gratification of physical desire, and to seek and fulfill that desire only with each other.

Of course, love can be platonic and can simply remain as deep and enduring friendship. But, in the case of romantic love sharing physical intimacy becomes one of the ways of expressing that love. Physical attraction need not necessarily be viewed as simple infatuation, bound to fall by the wayside after consummation.

We have way too many loveless marriages in our society, yet a bludgeoning population. In the name of propriety men and women are made to stay together. Men have had the advantage for way too long in this arrangement. IMO, emancipation from the chains of conservative mores is not something to be bemoaned.

Cheeers!
Dear Prof. Nara,

One esteemed member left this thread in disgust when I tried to tell you what is authentic, old-world Kerala avial is, since it was not relevant to this thead, as I could read from the member's post. I don't know whether you will leave this forum itself after reading my views!

Arranged marriages are not necessarily "loveless". Yes, there will be no 'love' prior to marriage, but in a majority of the cases - at least for the last 60 years or so - the boy and girl approve of each other before the marriage and, after they start living as husband and wife (especially after the couple had to move away from joint family due to job at a distant place - that includes me too) they had their privacy, intimacy, love and of course, tiffs as well. As years pass, this affection only gets strengthened, not reduced because the 'attraction' in the period of youth wanes.

Your observation that " In the name of propriety men and women are made to stay together. Men have had the advantage for way too long in this arrangement." refers to several hidden aspects which most here will understand. I will also try to be equally polished and convey my views. It is true that men and women have been made to stay together as husband and wife by society's imposed will. But it may not be correct to say that men (alone) have had the advantage in this arrangement. This is borne out by our very Dharmasastras, as I had occasion to point out previously in one or two threads relating to pitru karma. (I do not want to repeat it here for fear that honourable members may want me kicked out of this forum itself!!)

Secondly, your sentence "
emancipation from the chains of conservative mores is not something to be bemoaned.
", gives me the impression that you are advocating the same types of advantages which men enjoyed till now, being now given to women also. Perhaps that is not your intention.

... I don't know whether you will leave this forum itself after reading my views!
I having a feeling many will thank you if you make this happen :). But your views are among the prime reasons many rush into a thread to read, including yours faithfully.

Arranged marriages are not necessarily "loveless".
Yes, I agree. In as much as marriage arranged by themselves can be and often are more than mere infatuation, arranged marriage often blossom into true love. I hope when I made my comment about the former, it didn't sound like I was denying the later.

Your observation that " In the name of propriety men and women are made to stay together. Men have had the advantage for way too long in this arrangement." refers to several hidden aspects which most here will understand. I will also try to be equally polished and convey my views.
It is lot of fun to say what you want to say without actually saying it. :)

(I do not want to repeat it here for fear that honourable members may want me kicked out of this forum itself!!)
:), too much honor and too little fun will make us all boring.

.....gives me the impression that you are advocating the same types of advantages which men enjoyed till now, being now given to women also. Perhaps that is not your intention.

No, that is not my intention, my thinking is more on the lines of respecting individuals and not straitjacketing them in the name of a tradition that is imagined to be divinely inspired in the minds of the rishees of yore who are trillion times more intelligent than today's best minds.

If பிறன் மனை நோக்காதல் is the standard for பேராண்மை, the same standard, i.e. பிறன் கணவன் நோக்காதல் must be the standard for ideal womanhood. But even if a woman protects herself, serves her husband, guards her family honor, and not tire doing all this, she is merely a woman -- this is how a woman is supposed to live, this is not the mark of great woman, but a mark of any woman.

தற்காத்துத்தற்கொண்டாற்பேணித்தகைசான்ற
சொற்காத்துச்
சோர்விலாள்பெண்.

Cheers!

Sri.Sangom said -

But in my experience, the notion of "love" is a cultivated, artificial one and it is sexual urge, once we take off that artificial gloss that has been put on that word.

Sri.Sangom Sir, greetings. I am not very sure about this. Mind you, I can only speak from my personal experiences; there is no point in 'assuming' about other's feelings. 'Love chemistry' may not be sexual urge at all. Infatuation can turn into a very strong bond, love can be built on that. Majority of the youngsters are virgins when they fall in love. It may not be possible for virgins to have 'sexual urge'; harmonal hyper activity is quite possible, but sexual urge per se may not be there. When I was in love, I was a virgin. I had no idea about the 'real thing'. But we were attracted to each other like opposite poles of magnet. Nothing else other than just the two of us existed in the whole world. Mind you, this was 30 years ago in a village. Natually we took the village by complete surprise, split the village in the middle one half supporting us and the other opposing. What's more, the whole thing started like a wild fire. She was there all the time in the village, so were I. But on the chosen day (I chose the day. So, it was not that spantaneous), it was like closing the gap between positive and negative charges (I being negative? ! ), spark jumped and the circuit was closed. I wrote all these things in detail just to show the intensity of the force that can be extended by the youngsters in love. Since the force is that severe, some of the youngsters can't take up the breaking by force. Unfortunately, most parents are unaware of the extreme feelings run through their children when they fall in love. I was very fortunate, we were in a village, people openly interfered with our affairs. I do not know if the city dwellers have the same luxury.

Sri. Sangom sir, my wife was 16 plus when she fell in love with me. We were married before she was 17. Infatuation? Must be a very long lasting infatuation indeed! I don't think love is 'cultivated, artificial one based on sexual urge' only. There is more to it.

........ if love is so sublime a feeling of attachment, camaraderie, or whatever, why cannot the two people in love spend their lives just as friends, without craving for physical nearness? On this basis, I feel there will be nothing wrong in the parents trying to dissuade a girl or boy from an alliance with a person who is not suitable in their judgment; the basis of unsuitability could as well be caste.

Two persons can have a very healthy closeness without getting physical, when they are old enough to form such an attachment. When the harmones are playing havoc, it can be quite hard for the youngsters. Our youngsters do have such association with their first cousins; a closeness without getting physical. It is quite common amoung elderly persons.

Parents have the rights and responsibility to guide their children. They do have the responsibility to assess any proposal for the pros and cons. They are supposed to be unaffected by any influencing factors like harmonal hyper activity. They should look at the proposal, scrutinise it without any prejudices. If the girl/boy ask the parents to give one valid important reason to reject the proposal, the parents should be able to give such a reason to turn the proposal down. (it is a common question in a love affair...show me one good reason to turn him/her down! It is quite possible, some of the members in this forum had faced this question in the past). If there is a good enough reason, I am sure, the youngsters would prefer to follow parents advice.

Sri. Sangom Sir, do you sincerely believe difference in caste is such a good enough reason in all cases? In some cases, it may very well be the situation; one can't think of all the possible situations. But in general, would caste be such an important consideration factor? If it is so, then there is a solution for that too. Where there is a will, there will always be a way.

Cheers!

pann, visa,

been away for a few days and hence intermiitent participation. i owe both pann & visa replies. will do so within 48 hours, due to time differences.

thank you for your patience. :)

But in my experience, the notion of "love" is a cultivated, artificial one and it is sexual urge, once we take off that artificial gloss that has been put on that word. Perhaps you also had read the posts on this topic between Prof. Nara and myself. I had then asked a question as to whether, if love is so sublime a feeling of attachment, camaraderie, or whatever, why cannot the two people in love spend their lives just as friends, without craving for physical nearness?
Dear Sir,

Love often starts with lust. As Sri Raghy says, a young couple may not know the 'real thing', yet they are inexplicably drawn to each other very strongly. There is a lot more to love than just lust alone. The Brain in Love and Lust

Anyways, research in the science of love does indicate that lust can often develop into attachment. This paper shows us some reasons why love and life are inextricably linked (which probably means its quite hard to ask people to live without love): Love Hormone and Falling in Love - Page 2 And this paper draws out some reasons why lust cud result in attachment (or 'love'): The science of love There are a number of papers which indicate that sex stimulates the release of vasopressin and oxytocin, both of which are also associated with the "bonding" factor. Which is why a person can tend to get attached to his sexual partner. Meaning, it starts with lust and ends in 'love'.

When Indra was sending Apsaras to those Tapasvis, perhaps he was not just trying to get the Tapasvi to feel lust..It is also possible that Indra was trying to make the Tapasvi move into a family life of attachment. What better way to foil a man's desire to acquire siddhis... Since there are apsaras who got married and moved into a family life (like Mandodari's mother Hema), perhaps that is what Indra wanted -- to make the tapasvi feel lust, get him to feel mentally attached to his partner, make him move into a family life with wife and children, and totally forget all about acquiring boons or siddhis in the process. Just guessing :)

Regards.

SKS Menace - A New Acronym

[FONT=&quot]According to a newspaper report, from January to October 2010, 45 cases of SKS killings have been recorded. One techie Manoj killed his wife Lakshmi and one Umesh Krishnan was killed by Honey Mary. SKS means spouse killing spouse. This is the life style (sic) the Garden City portends. Maybe these are expressions of ‘freedom’ espoused by modern people. We, outdated people, are at a sorry state: whether to criticize them or pity them, the killed and the killers. What was between two families is now affecting the third party, the State also. We have graduated from large family system to nuclear size, PGed to adopt orphaned child, now doctorating to exterminate each other. Mankind will, I doubt, go the dinosaurs way.[/FONT]

dears pann, re your post #981, visa re your post 988,

thank you so much for your kind reply. As always, not only have you detailed your explanation, but see through the consequences a few steps beyond me.

pann, first of all, as you may know, I live in Canada, and chances are my children will marry other than tambram. This is a situation that all of us tambrams have found to be true here. The first set of tambram marriages of the offsprings took place in the 1980s and often at the urgings of parents, to fellow tambrams, and could be termed ‘arranged love marriages’. Much in line with the home team view that only marriages to tambrams will be tolerated, and if these do not want a bride or groom from india, find a local one from the community. Many kids complied.

I am sad to say there was a 100% failure rate, though the sample number is small (less than 10). The tambram in the 90s, 2000s, quickly learned their lesson and very soon gave them the freedom (or better way to see it, acknowledged the freedom) to chose mates. I should say that most children have chosen wisely and from what I know many are parents already to bonnie babies.

To date I only know of one failure, marriage to gujarati boy from the u.s. and in this case the tambram parents hurried the marriage, as they feared for their daughter’s ‘reputation’. The parents nowadays agree to their mistake in rushing this marriage, as they viewed the relationship from their own upbringing viewpoint.

Children, when given wide leeway, do not simply rush into marriage. There is an extended courting session, and it is during this period, that the good & the bad between both of them come out. One can get attracted to someone, but to be consistently pleasant is not all that realistic. One soon comes to know the character flaws, the family and above all, compatibility for permanent setup.

If things go well ie they can accept each other’s flaws and shortcomings, the bond gets only stronger, and they are willing to plunge into matrimony. Again here, it is the girl who likes to take the initiative, as most men are happy to just float along, and avoid commitment. Is there sex in this stage? Probably. But it is none of anyone’s concerns, I believe.

Maybe in india, we do not give the children this time leeway? If one sees and gets attracted to one of opposite sex, it is marriage? I am not so sure for I give the youth more credit. Unless ofcourse there are external factors at play. Which is why parental guidance and educating the children towards a wise selection process is so important.

In the light of increasing, and seemingly unstoppable ic marriages, I think it is the parents that need education now. They need to learn to talk to their children and teach them how to judge people, character and above all the key ingredients for a marriage (jaadhaga porutham is not, but within the same caste is ok).

you notice that I say marriage within own caste is ok for parents to set as one of the guidelines, but these are guidelines. The parents should remember that, as the guidelines may be breached and parents have to deal with the situation without committing any collateral damage. I am not in favour of add on tensions, for the sake of principle. Overall, I consider myself a realist.

I still remember my very liberal girl cousin sighing relief, when her daughter brought her boyfriend first home, in Chennai, 2 years ago, and he turned to be a tamil iyer (they got married a while ago). when I queried her, she admitted that anyone would be ok, but a tambram son in law was icing on the cake. (this guy is good looking AND rich & under the thumb of his wife now).

Pann, I was only taking dalits as an example. Fortunately I live in Canada, where dalit is a misnomer, as we are all considered Asians. I also agree it is easier to ignore castes and practice of casteism in the west, as the communities are small enough that they do not morph into rigidity and exclusivity.

Then are dalits who since independence, for more than two generations, risen up and if you did not enquire deeper, would think them of as NBs and that’s it. I realize that the trouble with generalizations is that we imagine the worst of scenarios, and scenarios to fit in with our prejudice (or ignorance).

Pann, it is idealism and our fancy for it, that makes us better human beings. Please do not discard your ideals, for there was a reason why you embraced those in the first place. The society definitely needs more idealists.

Admittedly we will never be perfect, and to have limitations is only human. but I think when these limitations, sharply curtail the happiness of our children, it may be wise to reflect and re examine our values. Our values must be centred around our children, and not vice versa.

Even in india, in an urban environment, in a nuclear family, how often is there interaction with relatives? Probably weddings, and funerals and child birth ceremonies. With small families, I suspect, these are not so numerous as what our previous generation experienced. One simply does not have the time, I think, to drop in on someone for chitchats.

One may lament the loss of such bondings, but I do not envison any possibility of turning back the clock, and all of us retiring to the leisurely ways (for the men only of agraharams. These were not the utopia that they are purported now to be, but just another place with much banality, vambu, notoriety, nosiness and gossip, enough for folks like me to wish vanavaasam.

Relatives or friends who mock or gossip about other’s ic marriages, would do well remember, that when one finger is pointed at others, three are pointed back. I have seen only too many cases of parents changing their views overnight when such things happen to them. it is better to be wise initially, that wisdom thrust on them.

This is what I mean that times, they are a changing, and while we may shed some aspects of our cultures, willingly or otherwise, there are opportunities to gain for our community. I honestly feel that ic marriages is one way to increase (or atleast to stabilize) our number. We are probably the first tamil hindu group to feel the effects of mass scale urbanization and migration. And increasingly & seemingly unstoppable intermarriages.

I have seen murthys & viswanathans in name only – their grandfather or fathers married other castes or groups, and the children have adopted the cultures of the mother. Would it not be better if these kids appreciated tamil, sambhar idlis and thirukural or vedas?

Cultures such as jews, muslims have long recognized that the cultures and values pass primarily through the mothers. Hence their insistence on coversions is much more vehement when their daughters wish to marry outside. To me, it seems rather myopic that we tambram throw out our daughter as ‘gift’ to nourish another community than our own.

A tambram girl with strong support at home, will be more inclined to ensure that culture is imparted and values passed on. Otherwise, she herself is perforce to abandon her roots and seek refuge in her husband’s home. To me, the former is definitely a 1000 times better alternative. N’est pas?

Visa, re Gandhi, I know only very sketchy details of his early life. One such ditty, is that while in London, our man had a jolly good time with wine, women and song. Apparently he had a change of heart later in life, but had he not, that would have been ok too by me. I have problems when people go to extent of torment and guilt over the previous activities. To me, it shows a serious imbalance of values and one’s own self worth. Rooting for redeemed sinners are not my cup of tea.

The same goes for gandhi’s attitude to sex. If I remember right, he was with his wife kasturi when one of his parents died. He felt that he should have been tending the parent and hence his lifelong experiments with sexual feelings.

Visa, all these are characterestics of Gandhi, and in no way diminishes his role as the father of the nation. i feel that one should not deify a human as perfection, but balance his good vs others, and in gandhi’s case, there is not even an iota of doubt as to his stature among leaders of the world – in front of the line. And forever.

Incidentally, gandhi’s son devadas married lakshmi, daughter of rajaji iyengar. A love marriage blessed by both parents. The wedding was simple and more in the lines of swaya mariadhai, without priests, and presided by Gandhi if I am not mistaken.

To sum up here, our community is going through, what I think is a turmoil with the changes of the attitude of tambram girls towards marriages. I feel that many parents (if not most) are reconciled to this fact, and deal with it in their own individual way. I only wish whatever their resolution was, it was not at the expense of love, affection and care for their daughters. One would find it very painful to let go of one’s children.

There are many who have expressed their anguish here in this forum about ic marriages for our girls, and to these folks like, I have no justifications or even an urge to engage in conversation. All I can say, is that at some time in the future, if you or your friends are faced with similar circumstances, folks like me, nara, happy, rajesh, raghy, krishamurthy (apologies to anyone I left out) will have provided you, here in this thread, with some tools to deal with the situation in a humane and common sensical way.

Thank you.

Dear Shri Nara, Shri Raghy, Smt. Happy Hindu,

I have your learned opinions on "Love" summarized as under:

"Love is one of those brain states that is very challenging to adequately define or describe by anyone. But love seems to play an essential role in human survival and reproduction -- the only purpose of life in this universe that can be rationally deduced. One way I try to make sense of this thing called romantic love is to look at it as physical attraction that includes a desire and commitment to be together even after gratification of physical desire, and to seek and fulfill that desire only with each other."
--Prof. Nara

"'Love chemistry' may not be sexual urge at all. Infatuation can turn into a very strong bond, love can be built on that. Majority of the youngsters are virgins when they fall in love. It may not be possible for virgins to have 'sexual urge'..."
--Shri Raghy

"Love often starts with lust. As Sri Raghy says, a young couple may not know the 'real thing', yet they are inexplicably drawn to each other very strongly. There is a lot more to love than just lust alone."
--Smt. Happy Hindu

I find this from one of the references cited by Smt. HH:-

"Romantic love, Dr Fisher explained in a lecture at the 2004 American Psychiatric Association’s annual meeting, is not an emotion. Rather, it’s "a motivation system, it’s a drive, it’s part of the reward system of the brain." It’s a need that compels the lover to seek a specific mating partner."

I feel my view agrees more with the above finding of Dr. Fisher. Is there not a possibility that the primitive animal instinct which drove the males and females of a species to mating, has got altered by the social compulsions of evolving humans, into what is now called "love" and the idea that there is a yearning for life-time bonding is a mere corollary, a cultivated trait, which gets ingrained into our brains like other cultivated tastes? If love is really a fail-proof test for life-time bonding, how do we explain divorces in such marriages?

And Shri Raghy,

Your proposition that "It may not be possible for virgins to have 'sexual urge'..." is a real brain-teaser to me ! Will a mere ceremony in a church or temple or marriage hall affect the physiological processes so radically? Or, is it your opinion that sexual urge is also a cultivated trait? If what you say is right how do we explain the "unwed" mothers where rape is not the cause.

Lastly, there was a TV interview of our Central Minister Shri Vayalar Ravi and his (wife) Late Smt. Mercy Ravi, some years back. Theirs was a love marriage, Hindu-Christian. One advice they both gave the youngsters is that despite all that you talk about compatibility, having been in love for several years and had no differences, etc., etc., the morning after marriage you will find an entirely new person as your spouse, not what he or she was the day before. They said it is a difficulty for lovers only, and not for those with arranged marriages, to adjust to this sudden and profound changes and advised young lovers to prepare themselves mentally for this eventuality also, while they are in love.

Last edited:
.Lastly, there was a TV interview of our Central Minister Shri Vayalar Ravi and his (wife) Late Smt. Mercy Ravi, some years back. Theirs was a love marriage, Hindu-Christian. One advice they both gave the youngsters is that despite all that you talk about compatibility, having been in love for several years and had no differences, etc., etc., the morning after marriage you will find an entirely new person as your spouse, not what he or she was the day before. They said it is a difficulty for lovers only, and not for those with arranged marriages, to adjust to this sudden and profound changes and advised young lovers to prepare themselves mentally for this eventuality also, while they are in love.
[/COLOR] [/COLOR]

sangom,

did not know that mercy had passed away. God Bless her soul.

there is a very shameful act associated with the guruvayoor temple in relation to this couple. the temple refused them admission, because mercy was not hindu.

shame, i felt....but that is history, albeit, only about less than 5 years old

this piece of advice coming from ravi is very surprising, for its honesty. i did not think it is the norm for our folks, particularly politicians to discuss their private life, especially romance. but then i know only tamil nadu. keral maybe refreshingly different.

mine was an arranged marriage and i tried to remember what it was like. big adjustment in the sense, suddenly there was someone with me day in and out and from then on.

it was during eating times that i felt most impacted. i come from an household where there is little chat. we eat in a hurry. My mother’s rule was that the food should disappear as soon as it is ladled out.

Whereas my bride, came from a large family, and used to make the dinner sessions a family discussion, and used to drag for more than an hour. this was family bonding time.

on one occassion, soon after wedding, during our thani kudithanam initiation, it so happened, I had eaten the food almost full, and here she was watching me in wonder, as she had not even started on the main even. I got a good dose, and since then (on most occasions) reformed. even yesterday she was pulling my leg over this aspect of my behaviour.

I understand, re the adjustment part post wedding now. I have white friends, who turned overnight from lovey dovey to demon partners the day after wedding. I always thought this was a ‘white’ thing. Now I understand, that behaviour is common universally.

There is something intrinsic in the marriage process, which I cannot put into words, but definitely feel, that relationships move on a different plain.

Last edited:
Dear Shri Sangom Sir,
I think Fisher is talking about the dopamine reward system. In the mating process, it is generally understood that receptors in the dopamine reward system play a key role. The brain zeroes in on a specific mating partner and is motivated to do anything to get its reward, which is, sex. However, no one really knows why the brain zeroes in on a specific mating partner. And this relates to the topic of mating alone, which is comparable to other primates in the animal kingdom. And mating can happen without love.

Love however remains mysterious to researchers. It is clear that lust and mating can result in love and attachment. And that's supposed to happen due to Oxytocin. Oxytocin is secreted during climax in both females and males, and it is the same hormone that causes 'bonding' (including in a mother and child' meaning it is released without sex also, which possibly indicates why asexual love relationships are possible). No one knows yet why does this ' bonding' happen. What is love itself is not understood from the science pov yet.

Last edited:
Dear Shri Sangom Sir,
I think Fisher is talking about the dopamine reward system. In the mating process, it is generally understood that receptors in the dopamine reward system play a key role. The brain zeroes in on a specific mating partner and is motivated to do anything to get its reward, which is, sex. However, no one really knows why the brain zeroes in on a specific mating partner. And this relates to the topic of mating alone, which is comparable to other primates in the animal kingdom.

Love however remains mysterious to researchers. It is clear that lust and mating can result in love and attachment. And that's supposed to happen due to Oxytocin. Oxytocin is secreted during climax in both females and males, and it is the same hormone that cause 'bonding' (including in a mother and child). No one knows yet why does this bonding happens. But what is love itself is not understood from the science pov yet. Oxytocin is secreted
Smt. HH,

It comes under the initial paras, like this:

When Love Blossoms

Romantic love, Dr Fisher explained in a lecture at the 2004 American Psychiatric Association’s annual meeting, is not an emotion. Rather, it’s "a motivation system, it’s a drive, it’s part of the reward system of the brain." It’s a need that compels the lover to seek a specific mating partner. Then the brain links this drive to all kinds of specific emotions depending on how the relationship is going. All the while, she went on to say, the prefrontal cortex is assembling data, putting information into patterns, making strategies, and monitoring the progress toward "life’s greatest prize."
I think this has no specific reference to the dopamines. It looks like Dr. Fisher's overall assessment of 'love' only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back