• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A Case for Tamil Archanai தமிழில் அர்ச்சனை செய்வது தவறா ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sri N-ji,

For the benefit of NBs or those who wud require an archanai to be performed by a priest, please can you guide if we can ask the priest to perform archanai in a certain murai. What should we tell the priest so that he can understand that we need it to be performed in the right way? I don't think ppl like my mum know more than a few slokams / stotrams.

Why should you want deviation from established practices.If you don't like archanai in sanscrit you can better avoid going there .I presume no one threatens you for that.Secondly if you know stotram in any language nobody can prevent you from chanting.The problem is you want the cake and eat it too. If you are particular about you can find lot of temples that has come up not as per agamas which will suit your requirement.To be specific Melmaruvathur,vadalur sudhdha sanmarga and many more.If you are going to temple in certain belief why can't you bent to the established practices with the same belief.Demanting certain previllages before GOD itself is NASTHIKAM.

Why should you want deviation from established practices.If you don't like archanai in sanscrit you can better avoid going there .I presume no one threatens you for that.Secondly if you know stotram in any language nobody can prevent you from chanting.The problem is you want the cake and eat it too. If you are particular about you can find lot of temples that has come up not as per agamas which will suit your requirement.To be specific Melmaruvathur,vadalur sudhdha sanmarga and many more.If you are going to temple in certain belief why can't you bent to the established practices with the same belief.Demanting certain previllages before GOD itself is NASTHIKAM.

wrongan,

it is good to hear the invocation to God in a language that you understand. i understand only tamil, and i am going to ask for prayers in tamil only when i visit a temple in tamil nadu next time.

when the prayers are chanted by the priest, it is not for God (who i think is beyond language) or the priest (who may or may not know what he says in sanskrit and who knows if his pronounciation is correct). if he says it in tamil, he is talking to God in the same language as i do.

if you define this as nasthikam, so be it. this nasthigan, would like to go to temple and hear prayers in tamil. let the aasthigas stick to sanskrit.

there is a rich history of tamil hinduism. if you would like a familiarity presented in a friendly way please read any of kalki's historical novels. thank you.

wrongan,

it is good to hear the invocation to God in a language that you understand. i understand only tamil, and i am going to ask for prayers in tamil only when i visit a temple in tamil nadu next time.

when the prayers are chanted by the priest, it is not for God (who i think is beyond language) or the priest (who may or may not know what he says in sanskrit and who knows if his pronounciation is correct). if he says it in tamil, he is talking to God in the same language as i do.

if you define this as nasthikam, so be it. this nasthigan, would like to go to temple and hear prayers in tamil. let the aasthigas stick to sanskrit.

there is a rich history of tamil hinduism. if you would like a familiarity presented in a friendly way please read any of kalki's historical novels. thank you.
The question is why should you try to change the established procedure in a temple.Worshipping in TAMIL IS NOT SIN AND I DIDN'T mean it. There are lot of Vaishnava temples in Tamilnadu which practices Alwar pasurangal for archanai only in Tamil.', yet nayanmar devarangal are used for archanai in lot of temples no one had requested that temple to revert back to Sanskrit.The subject discussed here is why people want sanscit archanai want to be replaced by Tamil Archanai.

The question is why should you try to change the established procedure in a temple.Worshipping in TAMIL IS NOT SIN AND I DIDN'T mean it. There are lot of Vaishnava temples in Tamilnadu which practices Alwar pasurangal for archanai only in Tamil.', yet nayanmar devarangal are used for archanai in lot of temples no one had requested that temple to revert back to Sanskrit.The subject discussed here is why people want sanscit archanai want to be replaced by Tamil Archanai.

yes, i agree with the topic.

you have called such a naasthigan.

i replied that i want a tamil prayer because i understand it. when the priest know both, i would like it in tamil. i have gone through literally hundreds of shraddhams in my home where the content and pronounciation of the priest has been questioned by the more learned folks in my family.

it is always the same verses mumbled so that i know many of them byheart without understanding a word. to me it would be a delight to know what i am invoking God for.

it is a simple enough request. those that want the prayers in sanskrit, let them be. for those of us who prefer tamil, let us be too.

i think it would be the basest thing, to quarrel about manner & language of worship, when we are addressing the same God.

I think the issue of Tamil Archanai is just to divide Tamil and Brahmins.

Brahmin Azhwars & Nayanmars, Saint Arunagirinathar, Abhirami Battar have all composed songs on their favourite deities in Tamil only. God has blessed all of them.

Just like missionaries trying to divide us invoking our caste differences, the so called rationalists are trying to divide Tamil Language and Brahmins. The so called rationalists have also started visiting temples and we welcome them to our fold without any hesitation.

God knows all the languages and can accept worship in all languages.

Even today, Battachariars in several vaishnavite temples recite Divya Prabhandam before Perumal and let us encourage such practices instead of yielding to the vested interests.

By bringing Sanskrit vs Tamil, we may fall into the hands of this pseudo rationalists.

All the best

Most of us who where born and feed in Chennai, are only comfortable in 'Madras Bashai'. Other Tamil dialects including 'ancient tamil' is not easily understandable to us.

Can we ask for Archanai in 'Madras Bashai' ? something like

annan anni naathanaar maamiyaaru maamanaaru
idhellam doopu
shivan than toppu

Or

When we go to a Temple in the west, the devotees are from various parts of India. The only common language is English, shall we request 'Prayer in English' ?
Infact prayers happen in many languages (mostly Sanskrit) and we try to learn Sanskrit atleast to the extent of understanding the meaning of the recitation.

If we goto the temple for devotion, can we not look at it as an opportunity to learn a language?
India is a country where we can learn so many things everyday, let us be broad-minded ....

thanks,

Last edited:
A temple is a place for public worship. It functions according to certain rules and regulations. If the temple rules or time-honoured customs lay down that arcanai will be only in Sanskrit, we should not insist on Tamizh arcanai. If both languages are allowed, we can indicate our preference. Essential point is that we obey rules and do not question without enough rationale.

A temple is a place for public worship. It functions according to certain rules and regulations. If the temple rules or time-honoured customs lay down that arcanai will be only in Sanskrit, we should not insist on Tamizh arcanai. If both languages are allowed, we can indicate our preference. Essential point is that we obey rules and do not question without enough rationale.

sangom,

i agree 100%.

maybe i was not clear, if there are temples where tamil archanai is not offered, it would be ridiculous to ask for it. if both offered, my preference would be for tamil.

thank you.

.... If both languages are allowed, we can indicate our preference. Essential point is that we obey rules and do not question without enough rationale.
Dear Sangom, I think all temples under the Tamil Nadu government control are required to offer Archanai in Tamil.

Cheers!

Humility is the key

Learned, well informed Vaishnavites when they go to temples, offer archanai only for the welfare of the deity and to please Sriman Narayana. They do not do sankalpam in the usual way telling the arcaka the name, gothram, star etc. They pray to the God by an arcana without asking for any specific benefit for themselves. For that kind of a manobhava you require humility and absence of ego. There are many whom I know who perform archanai this way in Tamilnadu temples. Cheers.

Last edited:
yes, i agree with the topic.

you have called such a naasthigan.

i replied that i want a tamil prayer because i understand it. when the priest know both, i would like it in tamil. i have gone through literally hundreds of shraddhams in my home where the content and pronounciation of the priest has been questioned by the more learned folks in my family.

it is always the same verses mumbled so that i know many of them byheart without understanding a word. to me it would be a delight to know what i am invoking God for.

it is a simple enough request. those that want the prayers in sanskrit, let them be. for those of us who prefer tamil, let us be too.

i think it would be the basest thing, to quarrel about manner & language of worship, when we are addressing the same God.

Dear Mr. kunjuppu I am sorry that I had used some harsh words which might have hurt you I am really sorry.AS a senior man having vedhic background I am disturbed much when our own people themselves start contradicting remarks on our traditions and customs.My sincere request to all tambram members to go deep into the subject before airing contradicting views.In the days of declining good values at least on our part we should try respect the traditions wherever they are preserved.

Archanai

Most of us who where born and feed in Chennai, are only comfortable in 'Madras Bashai'. Other Tamil dialects including 'ancient tamil' is not easily understandable to us.

Can we ask for Archanai in 'Madras Bashai' ? something like

annan anni naathanaar maamiyaaru maamanaaru
idhellam doopu
shivan than toppu

Or

When we go to a Temple in the west, the devotees are from various parts of India. The only common language is English, shall we request 'Prayer in English' ?
Infact prayers happen in many languages (mostly Sanskrit) and we try to learn Sanskrit atleast to the extent of understanding the meaning of the recitation.

If we goto the temple for devotion, can we not look at it as an opportunity to learn a language?
India is a country where we can learn so many things everyday, let us be broad-minded ....

thanks,
For others outside Tamilnadu, could it be in English, the international language? In whatever language we do archanai, we pray and seek favour in our own (inner) language. (When we do mental maths we do in our own language!) And He listens to that inner language. It is really heartening to know that lot of people are really working hard to make the world easier for all of us. Eventually, like the income tax return forms, the improved and simplified form proves to be tougher than that which was there in 1961.

ஆகம நெறிக்குள் வரும் கோயில்களை விட ஆகம நெறிக்குள் வராத கோயில்களே அதிகம். அக்கோயில்கள் (எடுத்துக் காட்டாக, மதுரை வீரன், பட்டரசியம்மன், முனீஸ்வரன், எல்லம்மன், போன்ற சூத்திர மக்களின் தெய்வங்களின் கோயில்கள்) பூசாரிச் செயல் புரிவோர் தமிழில் தான் செய்கின்றனர். கடவுளுக்கும், பூசாரிக்கும், வேண்டிக் கொள்ளும் பத்தனுக்கும் தமிழ் மொழித் தொடர்பும் அவர்களுக்கு இடையே ஆன நெருக்கமும் அதிகம். ஆகம நெறிக்குள் வரும் கோயில்களில் கடவுளைத் தொடர்பு கொள்ள ஏஜெண்டுகள் தேவைப்படுகின்றனர். கடவுளைத் தொடர்பு கொள்ள உலக வழக்கற்ற வடமொழி தான் கடவுளுக்குத் தேவை என்றால், அக் கடவுள் தமிழைப் படைத்திருக்க வேண்டியதில்லை. வடமொழி மட்டும் கடவுள் மொழி, தேவ மொழி என்றால், அம்மொழியை மட்டும் புவி முழுவதும் பேசும் மொழியாக, கடவுளோடு பேசும் மொழியாக கடவுள் செய்திருக்க முடியும். ஆகம நெறி சாதாரண மனிதப் பிறவிகளால் உருவாக்கப் பட்டதே தவிர கடவுளால் அன்று. மனிதர்களால் உருவாக்கப் பட்ட ஆகம நெறிக்குள் வரும் கோயில்களில் தமிழைப் பயன் படுத்தினால் பயன்படுத்துபவர்கள் நாத்திகர்கள் என்றால், அப்பர், முதலிய சமய முக்குரவர் & ஆண்டாள் முதலியோர் பாடல்களை நாத்திகப் பாடல்கள் என்றா சொல்வீர்கள்? திறந்திருந்த கதவை மூடிய வலிமையையும், மூடிய கதவைத் திறக்கச் செய்த வலிமையையும் தமிழ்ப் பாடல்களுக்கே உண்டு, வடமொழிக்கல்ல. பத்தி இலக்கியத்தில் தமிழ் இருந்ததால் தான், புத்த மதமும் சமண மதமும் பரவாமல் சைவ வைணவ மதங்கள் வளர்ந்தன, வடமொழியால் அன்று. வடமொழியால் கடவுளைப் பத்தர்களிடம் இருந்து பிரிக்க மட்டுமே முடியும். தமிழில் கேட்டால் தான் அருச்சனை செய்யப்படும் யாராவது என்று சொன்னால், அவர்கள் தமிழ்ப் பகைவர்களே அன்றி வேறொருவரும் அல்லர். தமிழில் அருச்சனை செய்ய வேண்டும் என்று ஏன் வற்புறுத்தப் படுகிறது என்றால், இது தமிழ் நாடு; தமிழர் வாழும் நாடு கடவுளுக்கும், தமிழர்களுக்கும் தமிழ் நன்றாகத் தெரியும் என்பதால். வடமொழி இங்கு யாருக்கும், கடவுள் உட்பட தேவையில்லை.

... திறந்திருந்த கதவை மூடிய வலிமையையும், மூடிய கதவைத் திறக்கச் செய்த வலிமையையும் தமிழ்ப் பாடல்களுக்கே உண்டு, வடமொழிக்கல்ல. பத்தி இலக்கியத்தில் தமிழ் இருந்ததால் தான், புத்த மதமும் சமண மதமும் பரவாமல் சைவ வைணவ மதங்கள் வளர்ந்தன, வடமொழியால் அன்று. வடமொழியால் கடவுளைப் பத்தர்களிடம் இருந்து பிரிக்க மட்டுமே முடியும்.
திரு ravivararo அவர்களுக்கு வணக்கம், இந்த பதிவைப் படிக்கும்போது எனக்கு ஒரு சிறு கதை நினைவுக்கு வருகிறது. இது ஒரு கதைதான், உண்ண்மை அல்ல, இருந்தாலும் இக்கதை ஒரு உண்மையை வெளிப்படுத்துகிறது, ஆகையால் இங்கு அந்தக் கதையை உங்கள்முன் வைக்க அனுமதிக்க வேண்டுகிறேன்.

இராமானுசர் திருவரங்கத்தில் வைணவமத சமுதாயத்திற்கு தலைவராக இருந்த காலம் அது. சில மாதங்கள் அவர் திருவேங்கடத்தில் தங்கி இருந்து, ஆண்டாளின் திருப்பாவை பாசுரங்களைப்பற்றி உறையாற்றிவந்தார். நாளுக்கு நாள் பெரியோர்களும், தாய்மார்களும், படித்தவ்ர்களும், கல்வி அறிவுஇல்லாதவர்களுமாய் ஆயிரக்கணக்கில் பொதுசனங்கள் வந்து செவிமடுத்து, உற்சாகத்தோடு கேட்டு மகிழ்ந்தனர்.

இதை திருவேங்கடவன் தினமும் கவனித்துவந்தார். ஒரு நாள், இராமானுசரை தனிமையில் அழைத்து, இது என்ன அதிசயம், எல்லாம் வல்ல இறைவனான் நான், இப்புவியில் நேரே வந்து எவ்வளவோ பாடுபட்டு, கடைசியில் ஒரு சீடனைப்பிடித்தேன், அவனும் 18 அத்யாயங்களைக் கேட்டும், என்னை சரணமடையாமல் விட்டுவிட்டான். உமக்கு மட்டும் எப்படி திரள் திரளாக சீடர்கள் வந்து குவிகிறர்கள், உம் இரகசியம்தான் என்ன, என்று வினவினார்.

அதற்கு இராமானுசர், என்னதான் சர்வேச்வரனானாலும், நீ வடமொழியில் அல்லவா கீதையை உபதேசித்தாய், நானோ, எல்லோரும் எளிதில் புரிந்துகொள்ளமுடியுமாயும், மிகவும் இனிமையாயும் உள்ள தமிழ் பாசுரங்களால் அல்லவா பரம்பொருளான உன்னைப்பற்றி கூறிவருகிறேன், அதுதான் என் இரகசியம் என்றாராம்.

இதைக்கேட்ட திருவேங்கடவன், ஆமாம் ஆமாம் என்று தலை அசைத்து, தாமும் தமிழ் மொழியில் உபதேசம் செய்யவேண்டும் என்ற ஆவலால், தூப்புல் என்ற தலத்தில் வேங்கடனநாதன் என்ற பெயரில் உதித்து, திருவைணவ மதத்திற்கு பல தொண்டுகள் செய்து, தேசிகன் என்று பட்டம் பெற்று விள்ங்கினார்.

அன்புடன் அடியேன்

அறிவார்ந்த உறுப்பினர்களுக்கு என் சிரம் தாழ்ந்த பணிவான வணக்கங்கள்.

திரு ravivararo அவர்களுக்கு வணக்கம், இந்த பதிவைப் படிக்கும்போது எனக்கு ஒரு சிறு கதை நினைவுக்கு வருகிறது. இது ஒரு கதைதான், உண்ண்மை அல்ல, இருந்தாலும் இக்கதை ஒரு உண்மையை வெளிப்படுத்துகிறது, ஆகையால் இங்கு அந்தக் கதையை உங்கள்முன் வைக்க அனுமதிக்க வேண்டுகிறேன்.

இராமானுசர் திருவரங்கத்தில் வைணவமத சமுதாயத்திற்கு தலைவராக இருந்த காலம் அது. சில மாதங்கள் அவர் திருவேங்கடத்தில் தங்கி இருந்து, ஆண்டாளின் திருப்பாவை பாசுரங்களைப்பற்றி உறையாற்றிவந்தார். நாளுக்கு நாள் பெரியோர்களும், தாய்மார்களும், படித்தவ்ர்களும், கல்வி அறிவுஇல்லாதவர்களுமாய் ஆயிரக்கணக்கில் பொதுசனங்கள் வந்து செவிமடுத்து, உற்சாகத்தோடு கேட்டு மகிழ்ந்தனர்.

இதை திருவேங்கடவன் தினமும் கவனித்துவந்தார். ஒரு நாள், இராமானுசரை தனிமையில் அழைத்து, இது என்ன அதிசயம், எல்லாம் வல்ல இறைவனான் நான், இப்புவியில் நேரே வந்து எவ்வளவோ பாடுபட்டு, கடைசியில் ஒரு சீடனைப்பிடித்தேன், அவனும் 18 அத்யாயங்களைக் கேட்டும், என்னை சரணமடையாமல் விட்டுவிட்டான். உமக்கு மட்டும் எப்படி திரள் திரளாக சீடர்கள் வந்து குவிகிறர்கள், உம் இரகசியம்தான் என்ன, என்று வினவினார்.

அதற்கு இராமானுசர், என்னதான் சர்வேச்வரனானாலும், நீ வடமொழியில் அல்லவா கீதையை உபதேசித்தாய், நானோ, எல்லோரும் எளிதில் புரிந்துகொள்ளமுடியுமாயும், மிகவும் இனிமையாயும் உள்ள தமிழ் பாசுரங்களால் அல்லவா பரம்பொருளான உன்னைப்பற்றி கூறிவருகிறேன், அதுதான் என் இரகசியம் என்றாராம்.

இதைக்கேட்ட திருவேங்கடவன், ஆமாம் ஆமாம் என்று தலை அசைத்து, தாமும் தமிழ் மொழியில் உபதேசம் செய்யவேண்டும் என்ற ஆவலால், தூப்புல் என்ற தலத்தில் வேங்கடனநாதன் என்ற பெயரில் உதித்து, திருவைணவ மதத்திற்கு பல தொண்டுகள் செய்து, தேசிகன் என்று பட்டம் பெற்று விள்ங்கினார்.

அன்புடன் அடியேன்

அருமையாகச் சொன்னீர்கள். வாழ்த்துகளும் நன்றிகளும்

Sri.Ravivararo sir,

Greetings. Welcome to the forum. I refer to your mentioning "அக்கோயில்கள் (எடுத்துக் காட்டாக, மதுரை வீரன், பட்டரசியம்மன், முனீஸ்வரன், எல்லம்மன், போன்ற சூத்திர மக்களின் தெய்வங்களின் கோயில்கள்) பூசாரிச் செயல் புரிவோர் தமிழில் தான் செய்கின்றனர்.". It would have sufficed to say the names of those Devathas...you did not have to say 'சூத்திர மக்களின்'. Just a thought. (by the way, I grew up in a Vada Kalai Iyengar home..the kula dheivam still is முனீஸ்வரன்).

Cheers!

The archanai may be in any language. But you talk to your God through your mind it is the language the God understands and for that only He bestows his blessings. Pl do not bring the language barrier between you and your God.

Sri.Ravivararo sir,

Greetings. Welcome to the forum. I refer to your mentioning "அக்கோயில்கள் (எடுத்துக் காட்டாக, மதுரை வீரன், பட்டரசியம்மன், முனீஸ்வரன், எல்லம்மன், போன்ற சூத்திர மக்களின் தெய்வங்களின் கோயில்கள்) பூசாரிச் செயல் புரிவோர் தமிழில் தான் செய்கின்றனர்.". It would have sufficed to say the names of those Devathas...you did not have to say 'சூத்திர மக்களின்'. Just a thought. (by the way, I grew up in a Vada Kalai Iyengar home..the kula dheivam still is முனீஸ்வரன்).

Cheers!
The great Acharyan Ramanujar Has challenged his Guru Thirukoshtiyur Nambi that caste is no barrier for people to go to Swargam and he has taught the Ashtakshara mantram to all residents irrespective of caste and also all creatures from atop Sri Sowmyanarayanaperumal gopuram. He continued his endeavour in mantropadesam to all irrespective of their caste. So people belonging to Sudra caste also became his desiples and in due course called themselves as vaishnava brahmins .So those people may continue to have muneeswaran as their KULADEIVAM.

he has taught the Ashtakshara mantram to all residents irrespective of caste and also all creatures from atop Sri Sowmyanarayanaperumal gopuram. He continued his endeavour in mantropadesam to all irrespective of their caste.
Dear Sir, could you please provide some authentic evidence for this story that Bhagavat Ramanuja climbed on top the gopuram and initiated Thirvashtakra Mantram to all castes? I know you can't. This story is just a myth propagated by some and now believed to be true by one and all. There is no evidence in support of this story. I have already written about this in this forum earlier, at least twice, and in other places several times.

Your general point that he welcomed all castes into the SV fold is well taken. But there is no need to cite a falsehood to inflate one's case.

Cheers!

Functional language for hinduism

Not just Tamil, archana to deities can be done in any language, provided there is communion between the ordinary soul and the Supreme power. Sanskrit is no doubt a good language, but it alone does not qualify to be called a divine language, at the cost of all other Indian languages.

Tamil is an equally old language, copious in content, sweet in nature and contains as much Bakthi literature as Sanskrit. The Hinduism Renaissance started from the south in 7th/8th century and Sri Sankarar and Sri Ramanujar were both from Tamilnadu (Kaladi was at that time in Chera Naadu, which was an integral part of Tamilnaadu and Malayalam language took birth only in the later part of 14th century). Therefore, Tamil is noway inferior to Sanskrit inasmuch as in its usage in Temples and for pujas at homes.

For further details, please refer to 'Functional Language for Hinduism' posted several months back. (reproduced in the file attached for your ready reference).

Attachments

• FUNCTIONAL LANGUAGE FOR HINDUISM.doc
    35 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
A Case for Tamil Archanai தமிழில் அர்ச்சனை செய்வது தவறா ?

The archanai may be in any language. But you talk to your God through your mind it is the language the God understands and for that only He bestows his blessings. Pl do not bring the language barrier between you and your God.

Well said Sri Raghavan,

I too do not understand what "language" has got to do in Bhakthi, utter surrender of self to God Almighty. After all, Archana is one of the nine forms of Bhakthi as per our belief to take the individual to the supreme. The others are Sravana, Keerthana, Smarana, Padasevana, Vandana, Dasya, Sakha Bhava and Athmanivedana. The Tamil word "Archanai" derived from Sanskrit word "Archana" simply means "honouring or praising" (the Lord). Let us do Archanai in what ever language we want, whether we understand or not. When we hear Saint Thyagaraja's Krithis sung by eminent singers we are taken to the heights of ecstasy without understanding the language of Telugu.The same holds good whether it is Tevaram, Tiruvachagam or Divya Prabandams (which are in chaste Tamil) or Abhangas of Tukkaram in Marathi or Kabir's Dohas in Bhojpuri.

When Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa was asked by some one to show where God is, he answered that he cannot, but he said he was sure that there was no God where two persons fighting for "my God" and "his God". Similarly let us not fight whether to do Archanai in this language or that Language.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sir, could you please provide some authentic evidence for this story that Bhagavat Ramanuja climbed on top the gopuram and initiated Thirvashtakra Mantram to all castes? I know you can't. This story is just a myth propagated by some and now believed to be true by one and all. There is no evidence in support of this story. I have already written about this in this forum earlier, at least twice, and in other places several times.

Your general point that he welcomed all castes into the SV fold is well taken. But there is no need to cite a falsehood to inflate one's case.

Cheers!
Dear sir evidence available in Thirukoshtiyur sthala puranam.

Dear sir evidence available in Thirukoshtiyur sthala puranam.
Sorry sir, Sthala Puranams do not count. If you go back to the earliest written account of this episode, in the 6000ppadi Guru Parampara Prabhavam, you will see that it clearly states that Bhagavat Ramanuja went to the assembled goshti in front of the Nrisimha sannidhi and even there only explained the meaning of the mantra, and did not do mantra upadesham to anybody. The Tamil word used for goshti is திருவோலக்கம் which means Sri Vaishnava goshti. If the earliest written acoount does not say he went up the gopuram and gave upasdesham to everyone in the street, where did the Stahala Purnama get it? If sthala puranam is the correct account, how come such an important detail of the episode is absent in the earliest written account of it?

Further, if you go up the gopuram to the spot from where Bhagavat Ramanuja is supposed to have given the upadesham andlook down to the street, it will become clear how impossible it would have been for Ramanuja to have given upadesham from there. It was supposed to have been an utsavam day, which means there would have been lot of people milling about. From up in the gopuram for people down in the street level to hear, Ramanuja needed to shout at the top his voice like some street corner Missionary shouting பாவிகளே. Somehow, I can't picture Ramanuja doing that. He shouting the secret Mantra is completely unbelievable, especially in the absence of any written account of it from any SV sources except this Sthala Puranam, and how authentic Stahala Puranas are is well known.

If one wants to discount everything else and believe only the Stahala Puranam, that is your prerogative. But, please take what the earliest SV acharyas account of this episode also into account, please do not reject them out of hand.

Thank you ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back