• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Women in d(u)ress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks -

Have you met and worked with woman who are considered attractive and 'much smarter than you' ?

You have to be honest. I can honestly say - Yes, many times

Shri TKS,

I think it is a misconception that beauty does not go with intelligence. Nearly all intelligent women are beautiful though the reverse may not be true. I think women are on the average smarter than men. But ironically at least when in a personal relationship even women want the man to be perceived smarter? Am I right?

Shri TKS,

I think it is a misconception that beauty does not go with intelligence. Nearly all intelligent women are beautiful though the reverse may not be true. I think women are on the average smarter than men. But ironically at least when in a personal relationship even women want the man to be perceived smarter? Am I right?

Yes we want the guy to be smarter.Even if we realize that we are smarter to him we pamper him by acting "dumb" at times.
Believe me it works!! Charm works better than brains.
If you use charm, guys do the work for you but if you use brains you do everyones work!!

Dear Ravi,

Maybe they want to make a strong statement. When something is repressed for long it erupts rather strongly when the opportunity comes. As I said it is the mental attitude that is lot more important. You can be revealing but make the men stay at a distance from you that way.

I would like to think modern women are mentally strong. I am not sure though.

Sri Sravna,

I agree with you here. And I am confident that, I can get a valid and genuine clarificatiion from your side, for my query.

As far as I understand socialogy and psychology, and the articles that I have read before, it indicates that ladies/girls who wear much revealing costumes are doing so, to get the attention of the guys. To reveal her beauty and feel proud of it. To be happy that the guys are staring at them, as that means they are truly beautiful and sexy.

If that's not the truth, than what should be the purpose of wearing such revealing cloths, kindling the senses of men, when many fellow women don't appreciate it and don't do the same?

Is that, such womens are forced to criticised their women folks (who wear revealing costumes), because many men end up losing balance and indulge in some "mirch masal" (lol) and make their wife/gf jelous and upset?

Is that "Slut walk" meant for their liberty for their own pleasure of exposing their beauty OR for the liberty to reveal more to attract more guys?

Dear Ravi,

It is my guess that it is more to reveal the beauty. It is not unlike getting pleasure by revealing your intelligence. Everyone would wish others to think that they are attractive and intelligent. So exposing is one way of trying to get that appreciation. There may be the other reason that of trying to kindle the men but that I think would be in the minority.

I am just intolerable to the term - "Slut Walk". And want to explore why such a term is used?

Shoudn't it be - "Practical Walk" OR "Right to walk" or something like that??

ravi,

i think they used the term 'slut' for impact sake. please see my dictionary explanation of 'irony'.

slut, i think, is used in an ironical sense, and not the literal meaning.

atleast that is what i think.

ofcourse, if they had titled it as you suggested, it would be straightforward.. but since this orignated in canada, there is much more use of understatement and irony, which we in india, seldom use.

Folks -

Have you met and worked with woman who are considered attractive and 'much smarter than you' ?

Dear TKS,

To answer your questions. I've worked with both the types "women who are attractive" and "with women who are smart". But a combination of both is rare and fatal.

Every-body is forgetting that both the skirt and the trouser are Victorian legacies: we did not wear them earlier.

I think we can learn the way our ancients dressed as seen in this link:
ponniyin selvan kalki - Google Search

Our clothes of the olden days had all the transparency, convenience and decency that the wearer and the onlooker can desire!

Dear TKS,

To answer your questions. I've worked with both the types "women who are attractive" and "with women who are smart". But a combination of both is rare and fatal.

Do you think intelligence, smartness (and kindness) etc are also very attractive

I have read somewhere that girls dress for other girls and for themselves rather than for men. In many ways I agree with that. I think when women wear short skirts its to please themselves rather than for some men to watch her. But many men feel girls dress for them (the man).

I agree that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover or the lack of. But by its content and substance. Many arabs both the men and the women covering frm top to toe are some of the most immoral people around town. They treat people below them (maids, foreign workers) with utter contempt and cruelty that we wouldn't even reserve for animals.

Intelligent, smart, kind women and men are very attractive. But a person who has it all and STILL so so modest is the most attractive for me.

a girl said, i love a tamilian who gets done a pedicure, weekly.

Shri TKS,

You are totally spot on as far as I'm concerned SravnaJi. I think it gives a feeling of being protected if the man is smarter, taller etc than the girl. Also I may be wrong but men would like their intelligent wife to downplay her smartness and "depend" on him from time to time and be coy so he can be the boss :). Not sure how far thats true.

Which is why I just dont get what "hen pecked" husband is all about. I always thought it was such a paradox.

I think when women wear short skirts its to please themselves rather than for some men to watch her. But many men feel girls dress for them (the man).

It could be so in India but not in the countries I have lived. Women dress on purpose to "reveal" so that men fall for them. A man can comment about a woman's shape, figure, etc. and the women would respond with "thanks". Women apply gel, etc. in the place which attracts men instantly. But then, as a man, I am not complaining.

We first imported "Gay pride" from the west. And now "Slut pride". I am scared to imagine what would be the next.

I would like to see Renuka's experience with her women patients:horn:(similar to her experience posted in othe rthread).
Renu: People have been living in "God's own country" for quite long. I thought I would give some spice. Hence this thread. I am sure you can make it hot!

Last edited:
Do you think intelligence, smartness (and kindness) etc are also very attractive

yes I agree, however we have to gauge which smartness we are talking about. Is it smartness in expressing oneself in front of the others, Is it smartness in work or Is it general smartness.

Thats a very tricky assumption to make. I was talking about women outside India because I am not from India myself, I have no idea how they are like. Generally women abroad cannot be generalised as wearing revealing clothes for the men per se. Yes women like the attention ONLY from a guy they fancy/like usually. Not just any man.

It could be so in India but not in the countries I have lived. Women dress on purpose to "reveal" so that men fall for them. A man can comment about a woman's shape, figure, etc. and the women would respond with "thanks". Women apply gel, etc. in the place which attracts men instantly. But then, as a man, I am not complaining.

We first imported "Gay pride" from the west. And now "Slut pride". I am scared to imagine what would be the next.

I would like to see Renuka's experience with her women patients:horn:(similar to her experience posted in othe rthread).
Renu: People have been living in "God's own country" for quite long. I thought I would give some spice. Hence this thread. I am sure you can make it hot!

Sri Haridasa Siva,

I am glad to note your above message. Every time I read your posts, it gives me a sense and maked me more optimistic that, there are still many men who don't hide the facts to reveal the truth, just to be considered gem of a person. Just to be garlanded and considered a perfect gentelman. In my social circle, there are many guys who talk everything as if they are so modest and fair. But when it comes to their personal choice of marrying a girl, they come up with the most restricted and refined defination of a girl to be his wife.

I don't know about the girls in their social circle.

Girl or Boy, the indviduality differes. But in a broader and general sense, exposure is meant to be attactive to the opposite sex. Whether it is a boy or girl. Whether it's in India or in a foriegn land, I got to know this only, very clearly.

Folks -

hi
yes...sometimes....i considered like three philosophical ways....like aethists,advaitins, visitadavaitins, dvaitins....

aeithists say....i believe her physical body attracticve...

advaitins say....physical is okay...but inference inner smartness...

visitadvaitins say......physical is more colorful...but there is no comparison for smartness....

dvaitins say........physically very attractive...innner smatness is also very beautiful...

my 2 cents

regards
tbs

I learn from the media that Slut Walk, a rally held at Queen’s Park (Toronto) on 3 April 2011 is to be replicated in Delhi by end of this month.
Siva, the genesis of this protest is not women on their own accord wanting to dress scantily. It all started when a Toronto policeman, giving a talk at York University said that "women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimised". This kind of mindset makes it easy to blame the victim for violent crimes against women. This is what these brave women are protesting against.

This is serious business, not a joke. Let us support the women assert their natural rights to be what they want to be, dress the want to dress themselves. If they want to wear a full veil -- the kind France, that gave out the call for liberte as an universal rightfor all, outlawed in its infinite wisdom, or as scantily as liberal laws permit, it is none of other people's business.

Cheers!

You sure are right dear Harisdas,

I will make it HOT and SPICY for you!!!

Before that "revealing" is in the eye of the beholder.In India a saree is held up with respect but out here where I stay a saree is not allowed in some official government functions cos its deemed as too revealing since the waist area is not fully covered.
Some communities in Africa consider a womans face as the sex object and they cover their faces but not their breasts.

I feel we humans were less body conscious in the ancient days as we can see from paintings that no female was as covered up as now.

I was in India last year and there was a group of devotees from Madhya Pradesh,simple village folks who somehow took a liking to me(My husband keeps asking me..how come wherever you go people talk to you?)

These simple village folks were dressed in their traditional attires and they way they tied their saree and dhoti revealed a lot of skin when they walked.
They were going about as normal and I realized that for the simple minded its only a garment and they were not body conscious but for most of us we see how much flesh is revealed.

I feel as long we dress in accordance to the place we are in its Ok to don anything we like.
When I was in college I reserved mini skirts for college dance parties,Sarees for temple,jeans and T shirt when I went out with friends,Salwar Kameez for classes.

Ok now coming for HOT and SPICY JUICY BITS!!!

Ok you know there is something called the Construction Worker Scale.
So if you dress up and go out in the west and Construction Workers whistle at you, that means you look great!!
See its like a feedback mechanism so its no big deal.

Next..

Ok I will give you a personal experience.When I was working in another clinic before I started my own practice that time I was some 33 years old and I was in the clinic dispensary and there was this one Indian guy say about 28 years old and he thought I was a nurse and he was winking at me,whistling saying "Hi can I get your phone number etc."

Ok I was thinking "Boy is he going to get a shocker when he comes into my room"

I went to my consultation room and my nurse called him in and he was shocked to know that I was the doctor and he yelled out "Amma Thaiye!!!I am sorry!!!
He was standing there with a remorseful face apologizing repeatedly.
It was really a funny scene.
I didnt get angry with him cos he mistook me to be a nurse and mistook me to be younger to him.

See most of us woman don't really care what a guy thinks about us.
What matters most is what they guy we love thinks about us.

Ok coming to woman who want to attract man I feel its their right to do what they feel if they want to attract a mate.
Dont guys also feel good when a girl gives them a complement?
Tell me Haridas if a girl tells you that you look great wont you like it?

As humans our inherent nature is to be happy so what ever sounds good to our ego we enjoy it but just that we dont need to dwell on it and get carried away cos that breeds pride and prejudice.

P.S Hari out here in Msia traditional medicine practitioners have all sorts of gels for males also which is suppose to work wonders.Want to know?I will send you the links.LOL!!!

Last edited:
Ok coming to woman who want to attract man I feel its their right to do what they feel if they want to attract a mate.
Dont guys also feel good when a girl gives them a complement?
Tell me Haridas if a girl tells you that you look great wont you like it?

I don't think it is a serious attempt to attract a mate. It is mainly an ego booster: "See, I still have the oomph factor".

For most Indian men if they are complimented on their looks by a female, we can immediately discern what it really is: bluffing!

I don't think it is a serious attempt to attract a mate. It is mainly an ego booster: "See, I still have the oomph factor".

For most Indian men if they are complimented on their looks by a female, we can immediately discern what it really is: bluffing!

You have point too.Anway who doesnt enjoy a little Oomph factor from time to time!!!

BTW: I see no harm in complementing the person I love from time to time.If I love a person I show him my love in Thoughts,Words and Deeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back