• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Women in d(u)ress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi renu,

BHARYA ROOPAVATI SATRUHU.... i think u know the meanings.....

regards
tbs

Yup, I know this meaning..That a beautiful wife is an enemy(for the husband).
Do you really think so?How long does physical beauty last?
It always Inner Beauty that shines finally.

That way we can say Bharta Roopawaan Shatruhu isnt it?

Last edited:
namaste TBS.

Thanks for that shloka vAkyam. Here is the full shloka I happened to find:

ऋणकर्ता पिता शत्रुर्माता च व्यभिचारिणी ।
भार्या रूपवती शत्रुः पुत्रः शत्रुरपण्डितः ॥

RuNakartA pitA shatrurmAtA cha vyabhichAriNI |
bhAryA rUpavatI shatruH putraH shatrurapaNDitaH ||
--chANakya

"debt giving father is enemy, and mother of loose character.
a beautiful wife is enemy, enemy is a foolish son."
(Ref: Practical Sanskrit: the four enemies in the family - )

What about a kanyA? Here is a link that speaks of a father's responsibility towards her:
Practical Sanskrit: dear father, thank you -

namaste Renuji.

Perhaps we can't say 'bharA rUpavAn shatruH' because men are more predatory in nature than women! Someone said, "When you look at a man you look at a person; when you look at a woman you look at a family."

Yup, I know this meaning..That a beautiful wife is an enemy(for the husband).
Do you really think so?How long does physical beauty last?
It always Inner Beauty that shines finally.

That way we can say Bharta Roopawaan Shatruhu isnt it?

It all started on Jan 24, 2011 at Toronto's York University!

To those ones wondering how this all started, here is the link - Toronto police officer’s sex-assault remarks prompt reprimand - The Globe and Mail

Here is another link about the first 'Slut Walk' in Toronto - These 'slut walk' women are simply fighting for their right to be dirty - Telegraph

Cheers!

Thank you so much dear Valli...

Both of the two links that you have posted here, is the eptiome of what all I tried expressing in this thread and all that are in my mind and still not presented here.

namaste Renuji.

Perhaps we can't say 'bharA rUpavAn shatruH' because men are more predatory in nature than women! Someone said, "When you look at a man you look at a person; when you look at a woman you look at a family."

Not really dear. Men appear predatory but never underestimate a woman..we can be "Dangerous" and "Smooth Criminals" and before you know it we will be singing to Pati Dev,

Hubby Are You OK?
So,Hubby Are You OK?
Are You OK Hubby?
You've Been Hit By
You've Been Hit By ... A Smooth Criminal !!!
(altered from Michael Jacksons Smooth Criminal Song)

Last edited:
Renu: Good to see your post. Expecting more!

Tbs: Bharyaa roopavathi chathru - perhaps.
Paraaya roopavathi mithru - always? (May Sanskrit experts forgive me!)

Nara: If someone advises a woman to dress in a way not to provoke others, the women would "assert their rights" by going dirty? I think it is only in the interest of the very women that they have to dress moderately. When we see a girl dressed up in a revealing way, we do not think of her INTENT but we are concerned about the IMPACT (of such exposure on men). I am not justifying men. But as Vairamuthu wrote, "AAngalil Raaman kidayathu".

Renu: Good to see your post. Expecting more!

Nara: If someone advises a woman to dress in a way not to provoke others, the women would "assert their rights" by going dirty? I think it is only in the interest of the very women that they have to dress moderately. When we see a girl dressed up in a revealing way, we do not think of her INTENT but we are concerned about the IMPACT (of such exposure on men). I am not justifying men. But as Vairamuthu wrote, "AAngalil Raaman kidayathu".

Siva,

You are now talking of the morality of the man.

Dear Haridas,

Most sexual assaults have no correlation with the degree of exposure of the clothes worn by the female.
A sexual offender only sees a woman as a potential victim and not really interested in what she wears.
We have seen out here cases where fully clad in Burkha get strangled and raped.
Even children are not spared.
So its hard to say that man will be affected by exposure.
Even if they dont see exposure directly they still get to see it online with all the various sites offered these days.

Anyway I have seen lots of double standards among Indian man(Malaysian citizens) here.
They would like to have a frumpy wife but chase after attractive girls in their free time.
So why dont we just marry who we really fancy?

Dear Haridas,

you said:

I get the meaning..Its ok till she makes you a PitruH!!!

Well Rekka men cant marry who they fancy if shes attractive because remember na what was said earlier. Tch tch...how can you forget so fast.

Bharya Roopavathi Shatruhu.

Thats why :)

Men are probably insecure that she will attract and run away with other men!!

Well Rekka men cant marry who they fancy if shes attractive because remember na what was said earlier. Tch tch...how can you forget so fast.

Bharya Roopavathi Shatruhu.

Thats why :)

Spot on Babe!!!

Respectable members, Greetings.

Sexually controlled or restricted persons would be predatory towards any woman, no matter how conservatively she is dressed. Examples can be seen in Egypt and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Women even covered completely in niqab are not not safe on the streets.

On the other hand, girls may exhibit all they have in nude beaches of Australia, still go home without facing any physical molesting; leave alone molesting, they may not even attract a second glance!

Having said that, provocatively dressed ladies do attract undue attractions. What do these ladies expect? do they expect all the male population to have become saints? Honestly, if the male population stopped paying attention to ladies altogether, I don't think they would like it.

I was invited to watch this 'slut walk' in Toronto. I work mostly with ladies. Most of them are beauty with brains. I can't see any of them joining this kind of 'slut walk' protest. If a lady is single even after 35, they usually sing a different tune... they usually like to get all the attention they could get, but seldom gets even a second glance.

I can't even see the reason for this discussion in this forum; Mindset of the persons with the Indian background, Indian cultural exposure may not have much to do at all with this kind of protest.

Cheers!

Raghy Ji,

you said:
If a lady is single even after 35, they usually sing a different tune... they usually like to get all the attention they could get, but seldom gets even a second glance.

35 years!!! dont you think that is 2 low a cut off point.many of our bollywood hotties are over 35 and still will get multiple glances.
Not only bollywood hotties!!! I have seen even normal woman above 40 who can put young girls to shame!!!

Raghy Ji,

you said:

35 years!!! dont you think that is 2 low a cut off point.many of our bollywood hotties are over 35 and still will get multiple glances.
Not only bollywood hotties!!! I have seen even normal woman above 40 who can put young girls to shame!!!

Beauty is in the eye of the boutique holder

Raghy Ji,

you said:

Sowbagyavathy Renuka,

35 is not too low a cut-off point. Still the lady needs to live with the chosen person for a couple of years, then only she could think about a baby.. by then she could be well on the wrong side of 30. I am not talking about ladies seeking casual relationship or 'one night stands'. I am talking about ladies who like to start a family. Hope that clears my point of view.

Cheers!

Dear Haridas,

Most sexual assaults have no correlation with the degree of exposure of the clothes worn by the female.
A sexual offender only sees a woman as a potential victim and not really interested in what she wears.
We have seen out here cases where fully clad in Burkha get strangled and raped.
Even children are not spared.
So its hard to say that man will be affected by exposure.
Even if they dont see exposure directly they still get to see it online with all the various sites offered these days.

Anyway I have seen lots of double standards among Indian man(Malaysian citizens) here.
They would like to have a frumpy wife but chase after attractive girls in their free time.
So why dont we just marry who we really fancy?

Perfectly true dear Renuka..

That's what the society is worried about. Many men are worried about the animal instinct of their own fellow men. We can well appreciate and encourage girls to expose as much as possible for their own pleasure.

If all the ladies follows the same and educate their daughters in the same line, as how they are now supporting, than that would be the fair and uniformed efforts of the women folk.

Well said Shri Raghy....

In majority and as a general natural instinct, all sorts of revealing are required expecting guys to do a double take. Right from teen age till the girl gets married. Even after getting married women prefer to look beautiful and sexy for their husbands at least if not for the others. This all are perfectly OK and guys expect the same.

If guys go dumb, than the girls would be totally disappointed. Same would be the case with guys..

I have come across many times, girl saying - "The more they reveal, the more easily they get their work done". Some husbands say's - "The more my wife is revealing, the more easily I get my work done".

We can challenge and question the morality of guys and gals with all our justifications. But the basic point is men and women seem to have similar strategies in this materialistic world.

Both are selfish in some way or other. Guys wants and enjoys seeing other ladies in revealing attire, but can't tolerate even single naughty comments about their wives by fellow men. Women want to appear sexy in general and feel happy and proud if guys pass on appreciations. But can not tolerate if her husband praises the physical beauty of the other ladies and stare at them.

As long as both men and women as girls and boys, as girl friend and boy friend, as husband and wife, can tolerate each other's strategies, desires, intentions and don't have any sense of insecurity towards each other, than everything would be fine, IMO.

But I am sceptical about the possibilities of such tolerance to exist in a practical, personal life.

Common dear Amala, don't you believe many ladies are insecured that their smart, handsome husband may get attracted by another lady and he may either leave his wife or have a secret affair with her?

Girls are insecured about fellow girls and guys are insecured about fellow guys too...

This is the ground reality, Amala.

See may post #69 for more in detail

I am not saying that men "chase" all the females dressed up in a provocative way. Neither do I say that a fully clad women are safe in the society. What I indeed do say is that there is a potential risk for the former class of women. Why to invite trouble? Why to do a shameless walk? What are these women trying to prove? "You call me a slut; I would dress like a slut"? That is not the right thing to do.

The physical appearance of a woman can well be a measure of her thinking.

Sravnaji: Men and morality do not go together that easily. Though Bharathi stressed the point, "Karpu neri endru vanthaal athai iru palarukkum pothuvaaga vaippom".

Last edited:
Dear Siva,

Physical appearance can be a measure of thinking but there are a number of factors that are a measure of thinking. Physical appearance may not say definitely anything about the attitude.

Shri Sravna,

You are cent percent right that there are number of factors that are a measure of thinking and physical appearance may not definitely define clearly as what one's attitude is.

This is the very basic that I believe any matured person can understand and accept. But often be sceptical bout the girl's attitude and can confirm only after getting to know her fully

I just want to know as what is the single point, that you both seem to be discussing on and seem to be contradicting with each other?

Are you guys figuring out as how the attitude of the girl to be identified by her attire OR whether the Slut appearance of the girls is to welcome or criticised in a society / whether the Slut attire attitude of girls are good for themselves in their social life or not?

Last edited:
Common dear Amala, don't you believe many ladies are insecured that their smart, handsome husband may get attracted by another lady and he may either leave his wife or have a secret affair with her?

Girls are insecured about fellow girls and guys are insecured about fellow guys too...

This is the ground reality, Amala.

See may post #69 for more in detail

Yes but my comment was specially to answer Rekkas question where she asked why men marry frumpy women but look at attractive ones, instead ofmarrying who they really fancy. I was answering her question, albeit with a touch of irony and tongue firmly in my cheek

Dear Siva,

Physical appearance can be a measure of thinking but there are a number of factors that are a measure of thinking. Physical appearance may not say definitely anything about the attitude.

Well. I want to answer you by way of a dialogue in a Tamil movie. I think the name of the movie is "Taambatyam oru sangeetam". "Sila ponnungala paaththaa kai tatti koopuda thonum; sila ponnungala paaththaa kai eduththu kumbuda thonum".

What to do? In a society where perception and pervertion rule, what is normal from the POV of a woman reg her dress could mean abnormal to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back