• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

women domination

Status
Not open for further replies.
In India, I do still think that females are submissive in many house hold activities
and they are only secondary in the family hierarchy. The man only starts thinking
that he is in Charge, in a family, where men and women are working for the
betterment of the family. Only in some families women are in change. Perhaps
westernization has brought in a new gender ideology. No doubt, there is a gradual shift
of womenfolk's activities towards social upliftment because of the modern era in
some families. It thus paves way for the greater independence and expression of
individuality where women are ill-treated. Otherwise we cannot just like that
conclude there is a women domination altogether.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

dear bala,

i agree with you 100% on every statement, except 'Perhaps westernization has brought in a new gender ideology.'.

all your other arguements are cohesive, and the rapid ascendency of the female gender, as you rightly attributed to education, earning money and the confidence that goes along with it.

when one stays at home, and earning money is a mystery, there comes an automatic dependency. the situation was the same in the west, when women stayed home and men went out to work.

so why give credit to the west? unnecessarily.

Traditionally affairs in the households are referred as Madurai or Chidambaram. Where wives are dominating the house it is referred as Madurai (Meenakshi) and where Husbands dominating then referred as Chidambaram (Natarajar). For a Happy Life, my house is Chidambaram but looks like Madurai for outsiders.

Dear Venkat

You forget to mention Ardhareeshwara in Tiruchengodu. give and take policy.equality between wife and husband. no domination of ego.

In my house sometimes madurai and sometimes chidambram but at the end it is at the end it is Tiruchengodu only love will win.

just to share my experience here. i have been married for 31 years, and mrs K has her knack with the rolling pin, whenever she goes over the top. as a result, i have lost all my hair, and have quite a few bump marks on my pate. :)

nowadays, inspite of infirmity, i have practised a quick sprint, and always keep a motorcycle helmet handy :) i find that helps.
​I am sure Sir, that your dear Mrs. K never reads your posts!! :)

In my house sometimes madurai and sometimes chidambram but at the end it is at the end it is Tiruchengodu only love will win.
Hence Sri. Vaali's lyrics:

'nee pAdhi nAn pAdhi kaNNE - arugil

neeyindri thoongAthu kaNNE

nee illaiyEl ini nAn illaiyE uyir neeyE'

:clap2:

If the concept of nee pAdhi and nAn pAdhi is accepted by every family members
these days, where wife and husband are forced to go for work to keep up their
sound economical position, as situation warrants from any angles; besides give
and take place amongst them, life will certainly be a happy one always and they
will be a model couple to others.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

ஆண் பாதி பெண் பாதி சேர்ந்தது தான் உயிர். It is explained in the name Ardhanareeswarar. இவர்கள் கேள்வியே: ஏன் அர்தநரேச்வரி என்று பெயரிடவில்லை? வழி உண்டா விடுதலைக்கு? பால்சார்பற்ற மொழியை அல்லவா கண்டுபிடிக்க வேண்டும். எதிர்மறை சொல் இல்லாத மொழிவேண்டுமே. இறைவனே பித்தனாக இருக்கட்டும்; முடிவு அவனிடமே விட்டுவிடுவோம்.

பால் சார்பற்ற மொழி : மௌனம்

சொல்லாது சொலிநீ சொல்லற நில்லென்று
சும்மா இருந்தாய் அருணாசலா!
- பகவான் ரமணா

பால் சார்பற்ற மொழி : மௌனம்

சொல்லாது சொலிநீ சொல்லற நி
With due respects, I think one who chooses to remain silent in the face of injustice is a coward. Further, I think by writing this in this forum you have made a choice to reject the advise of Ramana in the most dramatic of fashions.

Cheers!

Dear Nara

In mouna there is no gender. The state which transcends speech and thought is Mouna. In lovers union the words cease and silence prevails.

In duality communication is necessary.

Ardhanareeswarar is the result of a Quarrel between Lord Siva and Goddess Parvathi, as to who is more
powerful. Many types of communications are there. Perhaps, Mouna (silence) can be one amongst them,
isn't it. Sometimes Mouna (silence) wins over the event. Thank you for the above conclusion.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Many types of communications are there. Perhaps, Mouna (silence) can be one amongst them,
isn't it.

As I am a devotee of Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi, i have given below what Bhagawan expressed above Mouna.

"That state which transcends speech and thought is
mauna; it is meditation without mental activity.
Subjugation of the mind is meditation; deep
meditation is eternal speech. Silence is ever-speaking;
it is the perennial flow of ‘language’. It is interrupted
by speaking; for words obstruct this mute ‘language’.
Lectures may entertain individuals for hours without
improving them. Silence, on the other hand, is
permanent and benefits the whole of humanity. . . .
. . By silence, eloquence is meant. Oral lectures are
not so eloquent as silence. Silence is unceasing
eloquence. . . . It is the best language.
There is a state when words cease and silence prevails.
....how does speech arise? There is abstract
knowledge, whence arises the ego, which in turn
gives rise to thought, and thought to the spoken
word. So the word is the great-grandson of the
original source. If the word can produce effect, judge
for yourself, how much more powerful must be the
preaching through silence!"

Be Happy

Silence could be intended or unintended. But ordinary human beings cannot think of the 'mouna' transcended by speech and thought. We are talking of the halves who pretend to be exclusive of each other. Here the mouna can be interpreted as acceptance by the vociferous or tacit acceptance of defeat by the meek. The story of Ardhasnareeswarar is to tell you that the one half alone cannot make the whole. But in the world of "maaya", there exists only one half and you better accept is as a whole! Peace, Peace, Peace.

Just a joke........

This is what a guide said to the tourists at the Niagara falls!

“எட்டுக் ‘கன்கார்டு’ விமானங்கள் மிக அருகில் சென்றாலும்,
எட்டாது அந்த ஒலி, நீர்வீழ்ச்சி ஓசையால் ”, என்ற வழிகாட்டி,

“இங்கு பெண்கள் அனைவரும் ஒரு வினாடி மௌனம் காத்தால்,
நன்கு கேட்டு விடும் நீர்வீழ்ச்சியின் ஓசை” – என்றாராம்!

:tape2:

In mouna there is no gender. The state which transcends speech and thought is Mouna. In lovers union the words cease and silence prevails.
Dear ramanasukumar, I see no reason to bring gender into this. Between lovers also, try staying silent with your lover and you are apt to find yourself sleeping in the couch.

In any case, mounam is not something that is "good" across the board. The question I posed was about this. Why would mounam be a good option in the face of injustice?

Above all, how come you are not following your own advice of mounam? By talking about the greatness of mounam you are undermining your own stated position that mounam is the best policy. If you truly believe in this policy, shouldn't you stay silent and not talk about how great mounam is?

I personally feel all this talk about mounam is eloquence, mounam is transcendental, mounam is sublime, etc., is nothing more esoteric than self-gratification of the base kind.

Cheers!

"mounam" is good for others sometimes. It gives us, more space to state our position. LOL

Just a joke

No doubt 'Observance of silence' is a great exercise. But, a few minutes every day at the same time
are better than an hour every day at different times. It results in the training of 'memory and attention'.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Practice of silence or mouna everyday is a good practice provided the mind is not encumbered at that time. An agitating mind or a mind nurturing defeatism could create a devil.

No doubt what you say is correct. But then, I know that our lives are filled with so much,
distract us. My Guru used to say, sit in a room, until we master ourselves, close all the
windows and if it is dark, light a dim lamp or candle that suits us, for creating an
atmosphere. Close the eyes and slowly breath in and out. Focus on clearing the mind
of other thoughts and concentrate on the matter desired upon.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

No doubt what you say is correct. But then, I know that our lives are filled with so much,
distract us. My Guru used to say, sit in a room, until we master ourselves, close all the
windows and if it is dark, light a dim lamp or candle that suits us, for creating an
atmosphere. Close the eyes and slowly breath in and out. Focus on clearing the mind
of other thoughts and concentrate on the matter desired upon.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Well said..Mounam is one of the hardest to follow cos its not only Mounam of the faculty of speech but also the Mounam of the mind.
Its almost nearly impossible for most of us to keep mind still without a thought wave.

Well now we have a different category of mounam also that is to keep our fingers "silent" too..cos I can be quiet whole day but fingers do all the talking by typing on my laptop.

Well said, thank you, fingers do all the talking - stay talking with the mind by typing on laptap.

Experience of silence is amplified by concentration. When the concentration is disrupted silence
gets disturbed and vanishes. A mantra, at that point of time reminds, through the sound which leads
to silence again. Our minds frequently mimic. Sometimes we wait rather absentmindedly to know what
is happening around; our minds continue chattering, our thoughts flung onto the screen of awareness
appearing in us by passing emotions and desires.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

dear sundaju!
many people say women domination whenever a female member gives her opinion.it really shows our male domination . many of brought up in this fashion by our mother .olden days mother always support boys over girls.nothing wrong in listening to women on the basis of merit and to act accordingly defends on you.
with regards,
guruvurappan

dear prasad 1 !
while some discussions is going on your mounam will be taken as your weakness and also taken as if you accepted their side or their view. when in confusion many people keep mum and it taken as their acceptance even though the terms and condition is not acceptable. they will quote" mounam sam -mathatukku a r ikuri " at the same time we should remember "vaya koduthu vambai velaikku vangathey " am i correct?
cheers ,guruvayurappan

Last edited:
it is not practicable since our mind always switch over from one topic to other topics (it may be related /not related).if you take breath deep and repeatedly chant something you will reach sleep mode or your mind correlate things according to the situation prevailing that time..If somebody really practised that for more than 30 min he is really great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back