• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Woman author asked to keep away from Dias

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems poor and innocent swami of old tradition.

I don't think its poor and innocent..after all a swamiji is supposed to have "right knowledge" as the saying goes..so why isn't he having Samadarshinah?

Why is he still seeing females as a potential threat to his swamiji status?

No one is asking him to do a Nithyananda stunt.

Females and males in functions where swamijis are invited usually sit in 2 different groups..one for females and the other for males.

Female and Male interaction is kept to a minimal.

That should suffice.

I feel this Swamiji was just too much.

The Heads of Sankara Mutts generally avoid seeing or speaking to widows. I think this practice still goes on.

Not only on the dais, but no woman or girl should come within 3 metres of the swami, because women are sinful and are to be avoided. I wonder how this swamiji was born — from his mother's womb?!
3 meters away from mother :eyebrows:.

BAPS still practice segregation, even in their civil meetings. The men must sit separate from women. Being a religious organization no one questions their practice.
I admire their dedication, sacrifice, and service to the Hinduism, but they are a cult.

3 meters away from mother :eyebrows:.

BAPS still practice segregation, even in their civil meetings. The men must sit separate from women. Being a religious organization no one questions their practice.
I admire their dedication, sacrifice, and service to the Hinduism, but they are a cult.
I feel that no cult should be encouraged or even admired.
BTW, the occasion was the launching of the Malayalam translation of Abdul Kalaam's book"Transcendence". Looks like Kalaam was a devotee of BAPS!

This is the trouble with agnostics and atheists - can't tolerate other 'cults' and carry the sword to behead!

1. We had detailed discussions on swaamynarayan sampradaya in the past. They are anyday wiser than the AGAT groups and have successfully managed the four dharma, arta, kama and moksha. The founding guru insists on varnashrama dharma.

2. They follow the path and rules laid down and do not expect or force others - obey or perish.

3. It is not easy to get accepted as a monk. Education (PGs and PhDs preferred) level is an essential qualification. Segregation is accepted in many faiths.

4. There was similar ruckus in delhi when a lady journalist sat uninvited on the front row and was asked to vacate. The organisers know the rules (or ought to know) and must ensure that unnecessary demands are nipped in the bud.

This may be still news to many. The lady is a translator and not author as many sections of media blabber. She is married to a muslim and perhaps face many more restrictions in her daily life. Her defiance is sponsored by keral communists.

Sangomji wants only the cult of islam followed by non hindu cults. Hindus have become wiser and vocal to thwart any intrusion in their way of life. Now the supreme court has said that it will not intervene in the animal sacrifice religious ritual which has a long tradition.

Sangomji's tirade against hindu traditions will not have many takers.

I feel that no cult should be encouraged or even admired.
BTW, the occasion was the launching of the Malayalam translation of Abdul Kalaam's book"Transcendence". Looks like Kalaam was a devotee of BAPS!

I heard that when Indra Gandhi met Mahaa Peryava, a screen was put between them and both had not seen each other while they had conversation.

I heard that when Indra Gandhi met Mahaa Peryava, a screen was put between them and both had not seen each other while they had conversation.

I have no idea about this! But I know Indragandhi was not allowed for Pooja in Puri Jagannath temple since she had married a parsee - not orthodox Hindu!

What is the reason for this? Do you know?

The Shankaracharyas do not see any widow without shaven head, duly covered and such widows should wear only one piece of cloth, like the nArmaDi puDavai. If they happen to do so accidentally, the Acharyas have to immediately take bath and perform a lot of "prAyascitta" which will derail the entire day's routine for them.

I think that was the reason.

Woman author asked to keep away from Dias.

Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha (BAPS) is a socio-spiritual Hindu organization with its roots in the Vedas. The life of its founder Yogi Sri Neelakatha Varuni (1781-1830) known as Sri Swaminarayan is a continuous tale of spiritual miracles.People who know about the basics of Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha (BAPS) are aware of the strict ascetic practices ordained to their Sadhus known as Swamis. "Sadhus make a lifetime commitment to the altruistic service of Bhagwan Swaminarayan, their guru, and society. They strictly adhere to the five vows prescribed by Bhagwan Swaminarayan: eight-fold celibacy, detachment, humility, and aversion to wealth and taste. Sadhus leave behind their ties to the material world so that they can truly serve selflessly". This include Male-Female Discilpine which separates mixing of pious men and women who has taken a vow of celibacy. Here is the relevent portion taken from "Vachanamrutham" of Sri Swaminarayan given at Gadhada, Gujarat:
"People often say that if the mind is pure, purity prevails everywhere. But this is misleading in as much as even the most pious or the one enjoying samadhi, if he is caught in a woman's glance, he is sure to vitiate. Similarly, if a pious woman develops contact with men, she is sure to be deprived of her chastity. Such uncalled for mixings of even pious men and women will definitely deprive them of their chastity. This is an indisputable truth." (Gems From Vachanamrut - Gad. II-35).

We may or may not agree with the belief of Swamis of BAPS. But, Sri Swaminarayan movement is doing a great service to humanity by way of Charities. We should go through their websites to understand the same.

The fact is that such practice of segregation is not confined to Hindu religious cults only. I am surprised how the Lady author or the orgaganizers of the function do not know about the practice follwed by the Swamis of BAPS?

Though I respect the belief of others,personally,I do not believe or practice any form of restriction or segregation among the humanity.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
When I said viashnavism was a cult, there was objection to that. Now, Islam is reckoned the world over as a major religion and nobody refers to it as a cult. Still, perhaps the hindutwa fanatics may be slogging under the impression that Islam is just a mere cult and nothing more!

BAPS may be wiser "anyday" because they have more than enough money and wealth from the super rich diamond traders the world over. But they cannot have the "kUzhukkuM ASai, meeSaikkuM ASai" (wants the moustache, as also drink the thick porridge) attitude; their so-called swamijis should better remain reclusive.

AGATs do not believe in "obey or perish" philosophy. They are merely warning signs on the highway of time. To heed to the signs or not, is individual freedom. On the contrary, the hindutwa fanatics do not find peace of mind unless and until they retort to each and every remark of the AGAT. It is for the readers to diagnose the psychology of such HFs.

This is the trouble with agnostics and atheists - can't tolerate other 'cults' and carry the sword to behead!

1. We had detailed discussions on swaamynarayan sampradaya in the past. They are anyday wiser than the AGAT groups and have successfully managed the four dharma, arta, kama and moksha. The founding guru insists on varnashrama dharma.

2. They follow the path and rules laid down and do not expect or force others - obey or perish.

3. It is not easy to get accepted as a monk. Education (PGs and PhDs preferred) level is an essential qualification. Segregation is accepted in many faiths.

4. There was similar ruckus in delhi when a lady journalist sat uninvited on the front row and was asked to vacate. The organisers know the rules (or ought to know) and must ensure that unnecessary demands are nipped in the bud.

This may be still news to many. The lady is a translator and not author as many sections of media blabber. She is married to a muslim and perhaps face many more restrictions in her daily life. Her defiance is sponsored by keral communists.

Sangomji wants only the cult of islam followed by non hindu cults. Hindus have become wiser and vocal to thwart any intrusion in their way of life. Now the supreme court has said that it will not intervene in the animal sacrifice religious ritual which has a long tradition.

Sangomji's tirade against hindu traditions will not have many takers.

Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha (BAPS) is a socio-spiritual Hindu organization with its roots in the Vedas. The life of its founder Yogi Sri Neelakatha Varuni (1781-1830) known as Sri Swaminarayan is a continuous tale of spiritual miracles.People who know about the basics of Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha (BAPS) are aware of the strict ascetic practices ordained to their Sadhus known as Swamis. "Sadhus make a lifetime commitment to the altruistic service of Bhagwan Swaminarayan, their guru, and society. They strictly adhere to the five vows prescribed by Bhagwan Swaminarayan: eight-fold celibacy, detachment, humility, and aversion to wealth and taste. Sadhus leave behind their ties to the material world so that they can truly serve selflessly". This include Male-Female Discilpine which separates mixing of pious men and women who has taken a vow of celibacy. Here is the relevent portion taken from "Vachanamrutham" of Sri Swaminarayan given at Gadhada, Gujarat:
"People often say that if the mind is pure, purity prevails everywhere. But this is misleading in as much as even the most pious or the one enjoying samadhi, if he is caught in a woman's glance, he is sure to vitiate. Similarly, if a pious woman develops contact with men, she is sure to be deprived of her chastity. Such uncalled for mixings of even pious men and women will definitely deprive them of their chastity. This is an indisputable truth." (Gems From Vachanamrut - Gad. II-35).

We may or may not agree with the belief of Swamis of BAPS. But, Sri Swaminarayan movement is doing a great service to humanity by way of Charities. We should go through their websites to understand the same.

The fact is that such practice of segregation is not confined to Hindu religious cults only. I am surprised how the Lady author or the orgaganizers of the function do not know about the practice follwed by the Swamis of BAPS?

Though I respect the belief of others,personally,I do not believe or practice any form of restriction or segregation among the humanity.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Sri Brahmanyan ,

Thanks for this informative post.

Regarding the opening post:

There is a fine line between what is considered social justice which is in the interest of all and respect of privacy of individuals and private organizations.

An individual and private organization obviously cannot break any law. But their privacy and choices of their practice has to be respected (if the practices did not break any law). If government money is involved in anyway then the level of accountability is very different.

I assume this organization is a private one. If this organization did not want this woman in the stage, she has the freedom of expression to convey her protests but it is really a matter between two private entities, assuming again that no public law is broken.

While the general public can take sides between the two private parties, in my view neither has any upper hand.

In the name of religion we do atrocious things. We segregate people by gender, caste, religion etc and get away with it as regions are exempt from social laws.
In gurudwara and baps, and other places they separate women, from men. In olden days they had reserved compartments for women in trains and movie theaters. It could be justified on the grounds of safety and privacy for women, just as we do have separate facilities for women and men. But now transgender people are asking for separate facility for them.

But the organizers enforcing the religious order in a public function (in this case a book release) is reprehensible. I do not have much respect for any guru who insults a section of public (widows, etc).

For people like this they should live in a bubble so that they may be pure.
5735465a2e9d47e26fd83f0f4e789ad6.jpg

I work with them all the time, I visit their temple and admire their dedication. I do not agree with some of their beliefs, but they make good food.

If you are not exposed to such practice, you have very little chance of knowing it by intuition alone.

I tolerate it and do not agree with it.

Only sanatana dharma has this divine attribute - it does, not just tolerate but accepts. Generally it is my way, your way, other ways.

I am surprised how the Lady author or the orgaganizers of the function do not know about the practice follwed by the Swamis of BAPS? ...

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

It was the launching of the Malayalam translation of APJ Abdul Kalam's book brought out by DC books a Christian organisation (I think.). Neither the publisher nor the lady translator knew about the mad practice of the botchasanvasis. Anyway, as per their practice, the publishers did not invite the translator to the function, it is claimed. But a few distinguished women sitting on the dais and front row were asked to clear out at the last moment as per the botchasan's orders before he even came and that started the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back