• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Wikipedia article about Kerala Iyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
கால பைரவன்;101243 said:
I could not quite understand this emphasis on Lord Rama being fictional!

Who is to say that Allah is NOT fictional?

If a monument existed for fictional Allah, why is to so inconceivable that a temple existed for Lord Rama?

It is one thing to argue against demolishment of the mosque (there are plenty of ways one can build a case against), but what is the need to question the historicity of Lord Rama? It is not for no reason that atheists are accused of being partial!

The hindutva parties seem to be the only ones who are willing to stand against Islamic and Christian fundamentalism in India. They cannot be easily wished away!

Here is my understanding,

Lord Rama is the Main Character in the Epic Ramayana, as Lord Krishna is the Main Character in the Epic Mahabharata.

Both were written by masterful literary geniuses to spread Vishnu worship in India. Many academic historians and professors of Tamil literature believe these two Epics are FICTIONS...

My extrapolation is believing such allegedly FICTIONAL mythologies, political parties like BJP/RSS mobilized the mobs to destroy a standing Historical Monument.

They destroyed it and initiated a cycle of violence in UP, Gujarat and elsewhere..

That's what I have been writing about..

Perhaps, Allah = Jesus = Ishwara....according to Theists...I don't know.

Atheists are hated by Hindus, Christians and Muslims...

But Atheists work for a peaceful egalitarian Society devoid of religions, castes and racial discrimination, believe me.

Last edited:
post#176 Y, I hope you take it the right way. I avoid some people and would not answer them. But it seemed like a cry for help. So here goes nothing.

You may be working for that cause, I can believe it. But please do not include any other individual in your group, because you do not know them. When time comes to make a sacrifice you do not who will be standing with you.
I know you claim to be an some ist, but listen to the story it has a moral for all.

Valmiki Once, he tried to rob the divine sage Narada for the benefit of his family. Narada asked him if his family would share the sin he was incurring due to the robbery. The robber replied positively, but Narada told him to confirm this with his family. The robber asked his family, but none agreed to bear the burden of sin. Dejected, the robber finally understood the truth of life and asked for Narada's forgiveness.
You can alone set your path, I believe in the path I have chosen. I am not trying to change your personal path. You are an intelligent person, accept that others will have their own path. If people commit atrocities in the name of religion it is not the fault of Religion. If Bin Ladin committed mass murder in the name of Islam, not every muslim is responsible. If bjp demolished Mosque not every Hindu is liable. If Aurangjeb demolished a temple in the name of Islam, the present day Muslim in some corner of Tamil Nadu is mot responsible. Your logic is all messed up.

the Soviet state under Stalin's policy of state atheism did not consider education a private matter; it outlawed religious instruction and waged campaigns to persuade people, at times violently, to abandon religion.Several other communist states also opposed religion and mandated state atheism, including the former governments of the Albania, and currently, China, North Korea, and Cuba.

But after the collapse of Soviet Union countries are getting back to be religious. Peoples earning to belong to a religion is flourishing.

Did communism solve peoples problem, should you not blame that on atheism, and other inefficiencies. So religion did not cause the problem, and I agree religion did not provide a solution. But who proposed to you that Religion is solution.Was it your own expectation? Is it your problem?

Gujarat is the most prosperous state in India, it is one of the cleanest state, people who visit Gujarat to be the best place in India. Gujarati's are the happiest people in India. Mody will be elected with a landslide. You can not fight with success. We may not like his policy, but he wins.

One more thing all Atheist I meet including here in this site are miserable, show me a happy Atheist. First of all you are negating that may not exist. Secondly you are going to a minority in the world for ever. Majority wants to believe as they know they inadequate to solve all problems. So it is human to assign an external agent we will call X to have the power to solve our problems.

Last edited:
Sangom sir,
I respect your views and they are balanced, and very conciliatory.
But you are trying to gloss over the fact that A temple did exist before, and it was destroyed to build a Mosque. The question of Ram being king or God, or the time the temple was built is not of consequence. I would have expected Yamaka to make the correction.
Still my position that Masjids were built by demolishing Hindu Temples is fact. Take at look Mathura, Kashi, somenath, and many more. Even kutub minar is built on Temple structure. I do not know how many of the posters here have spent their life in Northern part of India. The power of the Muslim voting block, and the group mentality of poorer Muslims do not endear them to Hindus, Sikhs, etc. When India Vs pakistan matches used to be played they will openly support Pakistan. I am against anti-India people.

Organised religion does not bother me, I am not for one in personal life.
I do not want to create trouble between groups to win election, but seems the norm. I was against demolishing of the Temple, and equally against demolishing of the masjid. There are enough spots to build Temple.

Shri Prasad,
My pov is that the temple or whatever that existed in the Babri site, was razed to the ground, desecrated and a masjid was built on yop of that during a period when wars were the norm, the invading army looted, plundered and lay to waste even entire kingdoms perhaps, and, if the invader professed a religion other than the invaded's it was the unwritten rule that the women were captured after killing the menfolk, raping them and were presented before the invader as some kind of war booty which will help produce more people belonging to the invader's religion. Even Krishna or some other venerated figure in our scriptures was supposed to have brought thousands of such women from a vanquished kingdom and presented them to the king, for whom he fought.
So, that was done long ago. May be if the Ayodhya ruler of that time was smart and powerful, he could have immediately razed the mosque, built a grand Rama temple, protected it from any further scratch even from the Muslims. Why, for that matter, if the power ruling Ayodhya was strong enough Babar's hordes would not have come anywhere near the sacred temple. None of these happened and the so-called Rama believers were happy to have forsaken their beloved Rama and the very room in which Kausalya gave birth to him, etc., since 1527 till about the middle of the 19th. century. During this period they contented themselves with celebrations at the site of the mosque itself and it seems the Muslims also did not object to it.

"In 1767, Jesuit priest Joseph Tieffenthaler recorded Hindus worshiping and celebrating Ramanavami at the site of the mosque. In 1788, Tieffenthaler's French works were published in Paris, the first to suggest that the Babri Mosque was on the birthplace of Rama,[22] saying that "Emperor Aurangzeb got demolished the fortress called Ramkot, and erected on the same place a Mahometan temple with three cuppolas" reclaimed by Hindus through numerous wars after death of Aurangzeb in 1707 A.D like they earlier fortified it during Jahangir's rule as Ramkot.

During the 19th century, the Hindus in Ayodhya were recorded as continuing a tradition of worshiping Rama on the Ramkot hill. According to British sources, Hindus and Muslims from the Faizabad area worshiped together in the Babri Mosque complex in the 19th century until about 1855. P. Carnegy wrote in 1870:

"It is said that up to that time, the Hindus and Mohamedans alike used to worship in the mosque-temple. Since the British rule a railing has been put up to prevent dispute, within which, in the mosque the Mohamedans pray, while outside the fence the Hindus have raised a platform on which they make their offerings."[23]

This platform was outside the disputed structure but within its precincts.

In 1858, the Muazzin of the Babri Mosque said in a petition to the British government that the courtyard had been used by Hindus for hundreds of years"
(Ayodhya dispute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

When the British took over the Government and the judiciary, the greed of the Hindu, in my view, prompted him to test whether he could slowly dislodge the mosque like the proverbial story of the Arab & the camel.

"In 1885, Mahant Raghubar Ram moved the courts for permission to erect a temple just outside the Babri Mosque premises. Despite validating the claim of the petitioner, the Faizabad District Judge dismissed the case, citing the passage of time.[24] On 18 March 1886, the judge passed an order in which he wrote:

I visited the land in dispute yesterday in the presence of all parties. I found that the Masjid built by Emperor Babur stands on the border of Ayodhya, that is to say, to the west and south it is clear of habitations. It is most unfortunate that a Masjid should have been built on land specially held sacred by the Hindus, but as that event occurred 356 years ago, it is too late now to agree with the grievances. (Court verdict by Col. F.E.A. Chamier, District Judge, Faizabad (1886)[25]

...there are substantial numbers of Muslims 7 km away at District Headquarters - Faizabad. Since 1948, by Indian Government order, Muslims were not permitted to be closer than 200 yards away to the site; the main gate remained locked, though Hindu pilgrims were allowed to enter through a side door. The 1989 Allahabad High Court ordered the opening of the main gate and restored the site in full to the Hindus. Hindu groups later requested modifications to the Babri Mosque, and drew up plans for a new grand Temple with Government permissions; riots between Hindu and Muslim groups took place as a result. Since, then the matter is sub-judice and this political, historical and socio-religious debate over the history and location of the Babri Mosque, is known as the Ayodhya dispute."
(Ayodhya dispute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

It will thus be seen that the Hindus who did not have any guts for close to 400 years to do anything, felt increasingly greedy and chauvinistic after Independence. We must note that the Muslims were practically denied access to the mosque and they did not demur. In such circumstances I can view the action of BJP as one against the national peace and condemn it.

Originally posted by Kala Bhairavan

I could not quite understand this emphasis on Lord Rama being fictional!

Who is to say that Allah is NOT fictional?

If a monument existed for fictional Allah, why is to so inconceivable that a temple existed for Lord Rama?

It is one thing to argue against demolishment of the mosque (there are plenty of ways one can build a case against), but what is the need to question the historicity of Lord Rama? It is not for no reason that atheists are accused of being partial!

First of all it may be correct to know that Muslim prayer houses - mosque, masjid - is not a temple or monument for Allah. It is simply a prayer hall with the direction of Mecca indicated by a niche in the wall or some such thing but never any image or icon. May be in the 21st. century, the Muslims will make use of GPS indicators of sufficient size to locate Mecca as accurately as possible. Hence, we must not equate a Hindu temple with a Muslim mosque, though in the matter of sacred feelings both Hindus and Muslims may value their respective prayer halls equally.

I agree that perhaps there is a streak in atheists to prove that the God notion of believers is unsubstantiable and towards this end they try to prove the meaninglessness of each god/goddess concept. I will like that this is done at the general level and not in contexts such as this one.

Originally posted by Kalabhairavan
The hindutva parties seem to be the only ones who are willing to stand against Islamic and Christian fundamentalism in India. They cannot be easily wished away!
I did not find any really constructive step being taken by the ABV government either in strengthening and uniting the Hindus (Siva sena ultimately fell out with BJP) nor in weakening Muslims or Christians. If I remember right the bigwigs of the BJP took pride in going to Iftar parties, blah-blaing Hindu-muslim bhai bhai, and the news getting maximum media coverage even when the BJP was ruling in Delhi.

Originally posted by Yamaka
But Atheists work for a peaceful egalitarian Society devoid of religions, castes and racial discrimination, believe me.

Shri Y,
As suggested by Prasad, I think we can speak only for ourselves. I do not know whether the Atheists are more pointed towards getting all the gods and goddesses out than any building up of egaliatarian society. If that were the real case, the Atheists should give more attention to why religion prevents egalitarian society, which does not seem to be the agenda of atheists. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Originally posted by Prasad
One more thing all Atheist I meet including here in this site are miserable, show me a happy Atheist. First of all you are negating that may not exist. Secondly you are going to a minority in the world for ever. Majority wants to believe as they know they inadequate to solve all problems. So it is human to assign an external agent we will call X to have the power to solve our problems.

Shri Prasad,
It is a coincidence that all the atheists you chanced to meet are "miserable". I on the contrary have found atheists of both kinds. I also do not agree that God solves problems for you and me; problems get solved, surely with passage of time. If this does not happen for some reason the person with the problem disappears and that also is one way to solve the problem, in this vast universe, is it not? :)
Believers get mental solace by first positing a God, then entreating God, whenever there is difficulty beyond their ability to manage. I have reason to believe that this happens because the believers are convinced about their dark past, mujjanma karma and their possible unpleasant results; and they have imagined a God which is capable of circumventing the Karmic Law and getting them past the troubles. Bribery and middle-man concept at the very Karmic level, I will say.;)

Why not better be honest to one's own conscience, accept that none of us may have glorious mujjanma Karmas and that all of us will have our own shares of pleasures and pain in our lives? And stop comparing with others and throw away that question "why such bad things are happening to a good person like me?"

Here is my understanding,

Lord Rama is the Main Character in the Epic Ramayana, as Lord Krishna is the Main Character in the Epic Mahabharata.

Both were written by masterful literary geniuses to spread Vishnu worship in India. Many academic historians and professors of Tamil literature believe these two Epics are FICTIONS...

My extrapolation is believing such allegedly FICTIONAL mythologies, political parties like BJP/RSS mobilized the mobs to destroy a standing Historical Monument.

They destroyed it and initiated a cycle of violence in UP, Gujarat and elsewhere..

That's what I have been writing about..

Perhaps, Allah = Jesus = Ishwara....according to Theists...I don't know.

Atheists are hated by Hindus, Christians and Muslims...

Y, there is a good deal of support for atheism in hindu scriptures. But i wonder why theists hate atheists. I really wish more and more people are aware that atheism has a rightful place in hinduism.

Y, i agree Babri Masjid was a blunder. So many centuries later, there was no need to rake up the hindu-muslim divide.

Religion unfortunately makes the best of men do the wrong things.

Some accounts can make one cringe and depressed, to think that temples were thus destroyed. Do read about the destruction of Srirangam by muslim armies. Would you agree with the destruction?

It may be true hindus were destroying temple-walls, to get rid of the land decrees inscribed on them. The were rare cases of kings also, so rabid, they wanted to get rid of the main idol in the garbhagriha.

But any ideal state should respect faith which does not impinge upon social systems, is it not? Irrespective of whether a story is real or fictitious. (here am talking about faith / right to worship minus the social system of caste).

For now we can say Rama was not real as there is no historical proof. But what if some day we get evidence that it was a real story. In any case, should it really matter if it is real or unreal.

Please note i do not support destruction of Babri Masjid.

Am only unable to accept that just because a story is fictitious that somehow possibly (??) justifies the destruction of a temple.

Similarly, long after the destruction of a temple, there was no need to go destroy a mosque. Those who did it were evil.

History is replete with events that should have never occured. Everyone will be taken to a deep abyss, if things are repeated again and again.

Hope a monument of peace is built there, with elements of all religions in it, so that people will learn to care for each other's beleif, irrespective of whether it is Rama or Allah.

Regards.

Last edited:
Post#180
I disagree with Yamaka, but we agree to disagree.
This post is uncalled for and hits below belt. Please edit it and make your point.

When 'I' is gone only body remains, it should not matter how the body is disposed off. The practices after death is for the family members left behind.

Last edited:
I agree that perhaps there is a streak in atheists to prove that the God notion of believers is unsubstantiable and towards this end they try to prove the meaninglessness of each god/goddess concept. I will like that this is done at the general level and not in contexts such as this one.

Shri Y,
As suggested by Prasad, I think we can speak only for ourselves. I do not know whether the Atheists are more pointed towards getting all the gods and goddesses out than any building up of egaliatarian society. If that were the real case, the Atheists should give more attention to why religion prevents egalitarian society, which does not seem to be the agenda of atheists. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Why not better be honest to one's own conscience, accept that none of us may have glorious mujjanma Karmas and that all of us will have our own shares of pleasures and pain in our lives? And stop comparing with others and throw away that question "why such bad things are happening to a good person like me?"

I fully agree with you premise.
I am believer in something beyond me. I still call it brahman, but I do not know it yet. I do not have any dark past. LOL
I believe that I am responsible for all my action, I am the only one who can choose my path going forward. I also know the inadequacies in me, I can not explain every thing that happens around me. But at the same time I have to do the best I can.

If I break the law, the law enforcement is going to catch up with me, no x is going to save me. If I jump from a very tall building with a prayer, gravity is not going to make an exception for me. But if I go against my conscious, my value system will gnaw at me and will cause mental turbulence. But it applies only to those who have conscious. Over a period of putting it down can mask your own inner conscious.

Y, there is a good deal of support for atheism in hindu scriptures. But i wonder why theists hate atheists. I really wish more and more people are aware that atheism has a rightful place in hinduism.

Hope a monument of peace is built there, with elements of all religions in it, so that people will learn to care for each other's beleif, irrespective of whether it is Rama or Allah.

Regards.

Great sentiment.
But unfortunately to build anything you need money. Investors or doners want a a tangible return on investment. I know you hate all religion but have to accept that religions, or people in the name of religion build Temples, monuments, institutions, hospital, charities. You should see the beautiful meditation center built by Satchitananda in Virginia. There is no idols, it is only light and he has quoted from all religions. His ashram is the primary teacher of Yoga & meditations.
Businessmen built 'chatrams' all over India for religion. The great art had religious patronage. Look at Ajanta, Ellora, etc. In music too it is the religion that plays important role. In Dance and other art forms also trive under the tutelage of religion. So people have done great things in the name of religion in addition to misdeeds. So religion is not the cause, it is the human being is the cause of our plight.
You are wrong about believers hating atheist, it is other way around. A believer does not know what he/she is looking for, but an atheist knows what he is not looking for. So a believer does not have enhanced ego, as they know their limitations. I do have ego otherwise I would not post. I am trying to reduce the ego, without much luck.

Going back to religion, this mantra is for all (there is no denomination)

asato ma sadgamaya
tamaso ma jyotirgamaya
mrtyorma amrtam gamaya
Lead me from the asat to the sat.
Lead me from darkness to light.
Lead me from death to immortality.

(Brhadaranyaka Upanishad — I.iii.28)

This is true prayer—the seeker’s admission of his sense of limitedness and his heartfelt cry for assistance in transcendence. It is not a prayer for the things of the world. It is not a pray for food, shelter, health, partnership, riches, success, fame, glory or even for heaven. One who recites these three mantras has realized that such things are full of holes, soaked in pain and, even in abundance, will forever leave him wanting. It is in this full understanding that one turns to this prayer. The essence of each of these three mantras is the same: "O, Guru, help me free myself from my sundry misunderstandings regarding myself, the universe and God and bless me with true knowledge."

Last edited:
"sat" - existing, real, essential
asat -that which is not real, is not existing

Hence the prayer really means, IMO, lead me from the unreal, not existing, world of gods to the real, existing world which is the one here and now.

"sat" - existing, real, essential
asat -that which is not real, is not existing

Hence the prayer really means, IMO, lead me from the unreal, not existing, world of gods to the real, existing world which is the one here and now.

What is always existing is Sat.
What is temporary is asat.

Everything that is born is asat as it will die. There is nothing that we know is permanent. That is why the famous brahma vakya

brahma satyam jagan mithya
jivo brahmaiva napara
Brahman is the Reality, the universe is an unreal
The living being is Brahman alone, none else.

Even science admits that the center of the universe is not known, but they think it is expanding. So there is no permanence in this universe. But we know everything chages from a datum, or fulcrum, the believers are looking for that. Non believers are happy in their ignorance. But ignorance of law is not bliss, it is misery.

Last edited:
"I do not know whether the Atheists are more pointed towards getting all the gods and goddesses out than any building up of egaliatarian society. If that were the real case, the Atheists should give more attention to why religion prevents egalitarian society, which does not seem to be the agenda of atheists. Please correct me if I am wrong."- Sangom, post 178.

Dear Sangom:

At least I can say for myself, may be not for ALL the Atheists, that I am interested in establishing an Egalitarian Society, albeit slowly and steadily... I feel Religions and JPK Theory are in conflict with this effort and with that Society.

I am only toiling and moiling, huffing and puffing....sweating.. just trying.

I don't know whether Bharathi Kanda Ulaham is that Egalitarian Society where people are treated as EQUAL w/o the discrimination of caste, color and wealth!

Wait & watch.

Last edited:
.... I do not know whether the Atheists are more pointed towards getting all the gods and goddesses out than any building up of egaliatarian society. If that were the real case, the Atheists should give more attention to why religion prevents egalitarian society, which does not seem to be the agenda of atheists.
Sangom sir, atheism is not an ideology or political party with an agenda for anything like getting rid of gods or pursuing egalitarian ideals. Atheism is just a state of mind that refuses to accept superstitious beliefs, that is all.

When you say "getting rid of gods and goddesses" it is too vague and general. If it is a civil argument at an intellectual plane, then yes, most atheists here and everywhere will argue that there is no valid reason to believe in them, we are better off getting rid of them. But if you mean force people to get rid of them, then I submit to you sir, it is the religions that do this -- for example, the Abrahamic religions condemn these gods and goddesses so much so that their God put it as his top most commandment, while not seeing fit to forbid such abominations as rape and child molestation in the list of 10 most important commandments.

As for egalitarian ideals, once again, this has nothing to do with atheism. The high priestess of The Virtue of Selfishness, Ayn Rand, was an atheist, and in ironic contrast, the religiously pious also often talk of this egality, albeit after one is dead in front of their chosen God. So, atheism and desire for social and economic equality are two unrelated concepts.

Now, on the question of why religion is incompatible with egalitarian ideals, well, one of the primary reasons religions exist is to explain to the oppressed and the oppressor alike why inequality exists and why it is fine and why that is just the way their gods intended it. While getting rid of religions will not automatically eradicate inequality, it will certainly remove one powerful reason with which common ordinary people are duped into accepting an unequal society.

Cheers!

"It will thus be seen that the Hindus who did not have any guts for close to 400 years to do anything, felt increasingly greedy and chauvinistic after Independence. We must note that the Muslims were practically denied access to the mosque and they did not demur. In such circumstances I can view the action of BJP as one against the national peace and condemn it." Sangom post 178.

Dear Sangom:

Your post 178 has very many useful historical authentic information.... thanks for posting it here.

I share your view as expressed above..Thank you.

Cheers.

:)

Last edited:
Talking about Migration presents certain problems.

The linguistic division of states in 1956 made many people migrants in their own state.

There was a cry to include Madras in Andhra Pradesh. Chennai patnam Manathe was the slogan. If that had happened would Tamil Brahmins from Tanjore in Madras have become migrants?

Shencottah, Kadayam (kallidaikurichi was not prominent then), Cheramaa devi and other parts of Thirunelveli were part of the Travancore state. The Madurai kings and Travancore fought for these places. The last treaty ceded Kadayam, Cherama devi and other places in Thirunelveli to the Madurai kings. Travancore became a tutelary state of the Maduari kings. They were paying annual tribute to them till the British took over. Shencottah was part of Travancore till 1956.

Travancore Iyers are derisively called Pandi Pattars by the people especially from the Malabar region. But history reveals that southern Kerala was once called then Pandi Nadu and was part of the Pandyan kingdom. The Naickers constructed the Trivandrum Padmanabhaswami temple. Old history books state that. But new Kerala history books would not mention that.

But the Pattars also called themselves pandi pattars to distinguish from Malabar pattars. They have two samoohams in Trichur. One of them called Pandi samooham. There never was any unity between the Brahmins of Travancore_Cochin and Malabar. They did not inter marry.

The Pandalam kings claim a Pandyan ancestry. Today the history of Kerala is based on Kerala Mahathyam and Kerala Uthpatthi two books of very doubtful antiquity. Written by the Namboothiris they are dated from 16th to 18th century.

People do migrate from one part of the state to another. When it was Pandi Nadu the pandi Brahmins came there. Then when it was Travncore they came to the capital. Does that mean migration?

There is no historical record of any migration of Brahmins to Travancore.

Then again these are neighboring districts.

Palghat Brahmins do have some historical data regarding migration. Then they came from Tanjore to Palghat which is quite far off. But the migration theory does not explain Ramanathpuram and other Pandi villages. Chittur near Palghat belonged to the Cochin state. It was earlier called Chittur cochin.

Since the Palghat Brahmins migrated from Tanjore (even there not all of them), it is facile to assume that the Travancore Brahmins also migrated.

Talking about Sir. C.P helping Tamil Brahmins in Kerala is a joke. Yes. He did bring his chelas from Tanjore and Madras to hold some high positions. But he was against the local Tamil Brahmins who suffered a loss of position because of him. Judges who would have normally got promoted to the High Court lost out because he imported Brahmins form Madras. This happened to all the local Brahmins holding high positions.

To fully understand this we have to see the history of the Travancore Pattars. An unwritten history which no one including other Kerala Brahmins want to acknowledge.

The Wikipedia effort may fail because the Kerala_Iyers are not aware of their own history. The web site history of the Kerala Iyers does not even mention the position of the Travancore Brahmins. Number of Dalawahs and Divans from the community are never mentioned. Either because they do not know or they do not want to know.

It has failed. No thanks to Kerala Iyers.

Awesome post,until now we tirunelveli and Travancore Iyers have bad blood with the Thanjavur Iyers because of their over orthodoxy and high handedness.

My Maternal side is exactly from shencottah,and it is a great glorious place.Awesome weather,great soil and great people.Much better than Thanjavur and its self proclaimed elites.

Shri Nachinarkkiniyan,

Most of what you say in your post #10 may be factual. But migration also means movement, lock, stock and barrel, in search of livelihood from one part to another in the same kingdom, or even same district. You might have seen rural to urban migration highlighted by the 2011 census results, in today's papers. Similarly people leaving their homesteads in Aykkudi, Shencottah, Kallidaikurichi, Thirunelveli, etc., to the west of the sahya ranges is, imho, migration if it was not pilgrimage or visit. The overall history, under which king chera or pandya the places were, etc., are irrelevant to this issue.

Similarly, the names of Dalawas or a few other people who might have risen to high positions in the secular areas is not of much relevance imo. Other than that the Pattars (only Pandi Pattars are known as Pattars, I have never heard of Malabar Pattars; even Logan's Malabar Manual refers only to Pattar caste. So it will help all here to know where the term Malabar Pattar has been used.

Kerala Iyers as a distinct group will continue to exist and prosper even without a citation in wikipedia, I believe. (We are not as particular about our customs, rituals etc., being preserved and so on.) Kunjuppu may be able to say more.

There is a big difference between Palakkad and Travancore Iyers.The route of migration.In Travancore,it is very easy to cross the border not like in Coimbatore.

Btw,How do u know Ayikkudy,the picturesque village of Tirunelveli.Thats my maternal place,an awesome village that.

Dear Mr. sangom/Nachi, I got lot of information when I read the above points. I want to add one point , referring to Naboodri Brahmins. It was written by K.P.S.Menon in THE Illustrated weekly. Many may remember. He says, in Kerala in a family of Namboodri Brahmins, only the eldest gets married to a namboodri girl. The rest of brothers do not marry. But will have KEEPS/ Concubines in other caste women. That was the custom, observed. Some of you should tell whether this continues ? Besides, he also had written that, when the women encounter any Namboodri on the road, coming in the opposite direction, the women, would immediately, take off the upper cloth, which would obviously expose their bare chest ( as they never wear blouse) in mark of respect. If the concubine gets married, still the right of the Namboodri does not stop. He would visit the woman's house and have a relation & return. It had been possible, because the woman continues to live with her Mother & does not go to her husband;s house.When Namboodri is inside the woman's house, & the husband also happen to visit his wife, he will not enter the house & will go away seeing a vessel (sombu) filled with water just at the entrance. So, preference is for Namboodri , & not to the husband. I have heard some dialogue in villages in early Forties, running thus :- "avvalavu Perya manishar koopdrar, eppadi pohamal irukkamudi?

A.Srinivasan

Thats true,by the way the remaining namboodhiir brothers dont marry but have sambandham with Nair women.They get included in Nairs as it is a matriarchial system.

hi iyer
the palakkad brahmins are generally called PATTARS.....the scripture/rituals more similar with tamil nadu brahmins....the only

main difference is ...THEY SPEAK THALAYALAM.....MEANS TAMIL WITH MALAYALAM....THE FOOD IS MAINLY DIFFERENT...

FOOD IS VERY CLOSE TO MALAYALAM COUSINE....WITH MORE COCONUTS ....DUE TO LOCAL INFLUENCES....becoz they

generally migrated from tamil nadu and adopted local culture together.....becoz my blood is part of palakkad brahmins.....my 2 cents..

regards
tbs

Thats true and i am tirunelveli-Travancorem iyer and if coconuts became extinct,we ll vanish from the face of the earth.

I have spent some years in Bombay and also in Palakkad. These are my observations.

You have to go into the background of the Palakkad Brahmins to get an answer. Palakkad was a Brahmin dominated area. I can say confidently that there was no place where the dominance of Brahmins was so pronounced. More than even Tanjore or Kumbakonam. The community was the majority of the population. They had numbers. Sixty or more villages. They owned most of the agricultural lands around Palakkad. For years together the municipal Chairman was a Tamil Brahmin.

The Brahmin in Palkkad rarely came into contact with other communities. They did not have to. Except for the families which were from Pandi nadu like Ramanathapuram, Vadkkanthara and some other villages, the general Tamil Brahmin had no contact even with Brahmins from Travancore and Cochin.

Palakkad was in Madras Presidency that is British India. Travancore and Cochin were princely states.

The Brahmins of Palkkad migrated to Bombay in large numbers in the after 1920. When they left Palakkad they still were the dominant community.

In Bombay they congregated together and formed their own colonies and housing societies. Because they had not come in contact with Brahmins from other parts of Kerala earlier they did not develop a close relationship with them. There were totally unexposed to Tamil non Brahmins.

Things changed. The Tamil Brahmins who had leased out their lands to others for cultivation lost their lands due to the land reform bill.

Though things changed in Palakkad, it did not happen in Bombay. They were living in a world of their own. The Palkkad of the 1920 and 1930s. Of course with a lot of grouse about Kudiyans( tenants) usurping their lands.

The other Brahmins from Travancore and Cochin never enjoyed this position. They came into contact with others and competed with them. When they migrated to Bombay the identified themselves with Thiruneveli Brahmins. In Madras they have almost merged with them. One of the reasons was that most families had some connection by marriage or otherwise with Thirunelveli and Madurai.

What has happened to the Bombay Tamilians could happen to the NRIs in U.S. The India that they left is not the India of today. Brahmins in India have changed. The Brahmins in U.S may not. They could still be in a time warp.

Among the Brahmin in Bombay they have a couple of terms. They ask you whether you are Panchai or Parambarai. Panchai are the Brahmins who came late to Bombay for a living. Parmbarai are the Brahmins who have been there for generations. These terms were used by college students. The NRI students in U.S may also develop such terms if they do not have them already.

My wife is a Palghat/Trichur/Kozhicode Brahmin.

I am Tirunelveli Iyer,raised in Madras and i ll always be one.BTW,Tirunelveli Iyers are different from Travancore iyers even though both seem to be the same.My Paternal grandmom is tirunelveli iyer and they have more in common with Thanjavur Iyers in terms of food.Tirunelveli iyer food is fat rich and unhealthy,travancore iyer food is also rich but much more healthy.

This is very good analysis.

I recollect a conversation with a smartha from the chidambaram area. I understand that most smarthas in the chidambaram area are Vadama. Correct me anyone if I am wrong. Apart from that we have Gurukkals and Dikshithars and may be choliyars and a few others. This smartha said talking about himself , that in the past, the vadama (the smrithi bearing brahmin of that region) were considered bullies. I am able to easily connect this notion expressed with your post.
Let no one take my post to be a bashing of subsects as people should understand that I am not an outsider.

This is very true,Vadamas are bullies and a pure political class.This is true,i am one too and i find it damn funny.This is a battle,i can never win with my dad.

No one said that.

Please spell out who are the unabashed casteists?

There was nothing ever called Khsatriya and Vaishya varnas. The dominant brahmins of the colonial period themselves said so. Period.

Proof please?

No one needs 'brahmins' for tamilnadu to prosper -- this was said wrt to your canard allegations about reservations. It does not mean 'brahmins' need to get out.

Spell out your definitions of who is a non-tamil outsider.

TN needs brahmins,especially the smarthas,the most level headed political advisors of the whole world.Rest are all too fanatic.

I dunno if this helps, but Yamaka, some jain tirthankaras are depicted as dark-skinned. Also Krishna, Vishnu, are depicted dark-skinned.

Also, Y, can we discount the presence of light-skinned muslims, french, british, coming in as invaders, or light-skinned traders coming in from central-asia, southern europe, etc leaving their light-skinned imprints? As had mentioned earlier, even if aryan invaders had come into india, after 2000 years they should have become dark-skinned, so the point would be how are people light skinned now?

Skin colour is a huge thing.One side of my family,both grandmothers are vadadesa vadamas and it kinda reflects in their features and both grandads are chola desa vadamas.From what i know vadadesa vadamas have fair skin,great nose,cute face and all that but the Choza Desa vadamas have that typical dark skin,slightly darkened by the sun types and features are the same.But Choza Desa vadamas are strong,much stronger than Vada Desa Vadamas.

My family is a mix of both,just like so many others.But still fair skin is a big issue.My mom is dark but she has some great features,much better than many fair skinned snub nosed girls.

I am a mix.

Well.. someone may ask me, "Y, you are an Atheist, why do you worry about Sangh Parivar (RSS/BJP) destroying the Babri Masjid, which was most probably built on the ruins of some temple, not necessarily a Rama temple?"

Here is my answer -

India is an ancient land where Theism and Orthodoxy is still prevailing... there are nearly 200 million people of religious minority, in particular millions of Muslims.. if the Hindutva breathing Parivars are allowed to demolish an existing Historical Monument in the name of some FICTIONAL Rama Story, that's terrible.

That paved the way for horrible tension among Muslims and Hindus in North India...

That's quite regrettable as far as Y is concerned... that's why Y is dead against the BJP/RSS/Shiv Sena!!

More later...

Hindus and Muslims have historic bad blood,not because of any single event.

All sects can consider themselves as the highest. It does not automatically follow that others - brahmins and non brahmins are inferior. It is like different orders of infinity. We may quarrel on small issues, but our philosophy loudly proclaims - 'atma samam'. Brand loyalty is important, but other brands also give the same result even though companies pick holes in other brands to promote theirs.

Is this your idea of high? Have you talked to brahacharanams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back