• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Wikipedia article about Kerala Iyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
கால பைரவன்;99831 said:
Recently a book was released by the South Indian Social History Research Institute titled "Shoulder Cloth Riots; Known lies and unknown truths", which, I believe, gives quite a different picture of this issue.

Cover page: http://www.sishri.org/tscover.jpg

A passage from the cover page of this book:

Those who try to paint a false picture, with vested interests, that there are only two groups - B and NB (this was never true) and that constituents of NB group lived at peace with each other without any oppression or caste divisions may do well to read this book.

Here is the ad related to this book released in Kalachuvadu: http://www.sishri.org/tsad.pd

Till now I have learnt and understood the Nadar revolution as one waged for the freedom to Nadar women to cover their breasts. The lowest castes like pariahs, pulayas, etc., were also covered by this bare-breast rule. Ayyankali, a pulaya by birth spearheaded agitation against all these caste-based restrictions and won the royal assent for stopping all such discrimination. It is not possible to pronounce who won and how, and what all were the subterranean happenings of those days. But public memory has been and will continue to be that all the higher castes - nairs, namboothiris, pattars, menons and so on - were all against the Ayyankali movement and, by implication, in favour of the social discriminations. For further reading see Ayyankali - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The extract சான்றோர் குலத்தவருக்கும், வேளாளர்-நாயர் குலத்தவருக்கும் இடையே ஏற்பட்ட மோதல். உயர்ந்த சாதியினருக்கும் தாழ்ந்த சாதியினருக்கும் ஏற்பட்ட மோதல் அன்று. வீழ்ந்துபட்ட பழைய ஆட்சியாளர்களுக்கும், புதிய ஆட்சியாளர்களுக்கும் இடையே நிகழ்ந்த போராட்டமாகும்.
does not have any relevance to this shoulder cloth riots AFAI can see. There was no vellalar caste in most of Travancore and even if there were some people belonging to vellalar caste in the southern corner (present day KK district) they were not known as vellalars. I have heard of vellala Pillais (saiva Pillais) even in Trivandrum but in historical times there never was a fight between these vellala pillais & nairs vs chaantor (namboothiris, ruling family and may be Pattars also). So, unless it is more clearly known as to what the said book is talking about I cannot express any further opinion.

Post#16

Dear Mr. sangom/Nachi, I got lot of information when I read the above points. I want to add one point , referring to Naboodri Brahmins. It was written by K.P.S.Menon in THE Illustrated weekly. Many may remember. He says, in Kerala in a family of Namboodri Brahmins, only the eldest gets married to a namboodri girl. The rest of brothers do not marry. But will have KEEPS/ Concubines in other caste women. That was the custom, observed. Some of you should tell whether this continues ? Besides, he also had written that, when the women encounter any Namboodri on the road, coming in the opposite direction, the women, would immediately, take off the upper cloth, which would obviously expose their bare chest ( as they never wear blouse) in mark of respect. If the concubine gets married, still the right of the Namboodri does not stop. He would visit the woman's house and have a relation & return. It had been possible, because the woman continues to live with her Mother & does not go to her husband;s house.When Namboodri is inside the woman's house, & the husband also happen to visit his wife, he will not enter the house & will go away seeing a vessel (sombu) filled with water just at the entrance. So, preference is for Namboodri , & not to the husband. I have heard some dialogue in villages in early Forties, running thus :- "avvalavu Perya manishar koopdrar, eppadi pohamal irukkamudi?

A.Srinivasan

Shri Srinivasan,

Re. the highlighted portion, there is some error, I feel. The married Namboothiri women had necessarily to carry a palm-leaf umbrella and cover herself from all public view. They could put down the umbrella show themselves and fold their free hands only before the sanctum sanctorum of a temple. They could be free of the umbrella inside the women's quarters of a Namboothiri illam, whether her own or another. The lower castes - men and women - had to keep prescribed distances from Namboothiris in public roads and areas. These lower caste women were prohibited to wear any upper cloth and had to go top-nude in public. Hence it is someone's imagination if he writes that the lower caste women used to take off their upper cloth, etc. Nair, Menon, Nambiar, etc., women were allowed to cover their upper half and it is quite likely, going by the social norms of a bygone era, that the nair women, on seeing a rich and powerful namboothiri would dexterously show her assets and try to attract him into a "Sambandham" type of relationship which ensured conjugal union. But I am unable to write more about this because the society had undergone a sea-change by the time I was in my teens and could have noticed such nuances and understood them. :)

It was not pot filled with water which was used as signal but a kuthuvilakku (called nilavilakku in Malayalam); if the light was lit the male was welcome and if it was extinguished, no. So, the FCFS system worked as on any night. The same signal served to notify the inconvenience of the woman - like menses or any other thing. This practice, I faintly recollect, of keeping a lighted brass lamp was seen in my neighbouring Nair Tarwads during my childhood.

I have heard from usually reliable sources about the practice, among a certain localised brahmin group, elsewhere in S.India, where a grinding stone (ATTukkal) and its "Kuzhavi" or "kalloral" & ulakkai, served the same purpose of notifying the wedded husband or paramour of the presence ot the other inside the house. Any guess what this class is?

Last edited:
hi nachi sirm
nice info....i heard abt 98 brahmin gramams around palakkad......they are thonnuthi ettu gramamakara.....in keralaiyer.com...they triied
all the names of palakkad gramam..its abt 98 villages purely dominated brahmins around palghat.....

regards
tbs

Shri tbs, Shri Nachinarkkiniyan,

The Brahmadeyam or land grants to Brahmanas were of different kinds, I understand. In some cases the grants these lands had "thaniyur" status within the Nadu and the relative inscriptions contained terms like sva seemaa trinayuti gochara paryantah,sajala sthala,sa-garttoshara, samasta bhaga bhoga hiranyaadi pratyaya sameta, a chata bhata praveshya (beyond the jurisdiction of royal regular or irregular troops and so on. Even the donee brahmin/s were sometimes granted judiciary rights to try, covict and levy fine and mete out other types of punishments to others (than the donee/s) if they committed any offence. Thus, virtually a brahmadeya was like a separate independent island within the larger area which was originally all under the jurisdiction and realm of the donor king/ruler.

Hence it is quite possible that the original area comprised 98 gramams which, in course of time got reduced to sixty or thereabout.

Travancore, Cochin and Palghat Iyers have different slang of mamizh, their customs differ in the minutiae, and, most essentially each region was very sure that the mAmiyAr koDumai in the other two regions would be much more than in their own region :) Hence people generally did not contract marriages of their daughters outside their region, even though the contacts with their place of origin like Shencottah, Tirunelveli, Madurai, etc., continued because of old familial associations.

In Mumbai of 1960's the Palghat brahmins, especially around Matunga, King's circle areas - a stronghold - always exhibited their prior claim to the Bombay life and looked down upon the other tabras including those from TN. That resulted in their being isolated further.

The Brahmadeyam or land grants to Brahmanas were of different kinds, I understand. In some cases the grants these lands had "thaniyur" status within the Nadu and the relative inscriptions contained terms like sva seemaa trinayuti gochara paryantah,sajala sthala,sa-garttoshara, samasta bhaga bhoga hiranyaadi pratyaya sameta, a chata bhata praveshya (beyond the jurisdiction of royal regular or irregular troops and so on. Even the donee brahmin/s were sometimes granted judiciary rights to try, covict and levy fine and mete out other types of punishments to others (than the donee/s) if they committed any offence. Thus, virtually a brahmadeya was like a separate independent island within the larger area which was originally all under the jurisdiction and realm of the donor king/ruler.

So true...Which is probably why when the british became the new 'kings', the large land owners were gone; but the brahmin mirasdars remained the landed class in the late-colonial period. IMO the brahmins simply could not be touched, such was their clout from the religious pov and social pov all the way from the vijayanagar to the colonial period....unless the muslims invaded and razed down everything ofcourse....

I used to think how can trade guilds / traders enjoy immunities, employ their own troops, etc. Now its all clear. Am actually finding the irony of it all very funny. Even Karunanidhi praises the Cholas as great Tamils. But IMO the DK people got it all wrong.

The Cholas were the non-tamil invaders who brought with them all casteist ideas. Am beginning to understand there was never any such thing as 'kshatriya' and 'vaishya', either in north or south india.

All that existed were 'brahmin'-warriors who created soilders from enslaved women loyal to themselves to suppress people and maintain their own status (all in the name of 'dharma', camouflaged as 'righteousness' ofcourse)...

And the foolish numerous rajaputras, played out that role, as prescribed in the dharmashastras, for such a cracked up 'kshatriya' status.

Which is why the foolish vellalars suppressed nadars, and foolish nairs suppressed so-called 'dalits'...

Was reading the nadar caste article on wiki. It says that the madurai nayaks imposed deshabrashtam on the pandyas to make sure the rise of the nadars never happens again. But the Nadar-Nelamalikarrars served as tax-collectors under the nayaks. And only the pandya king and his family were exiled (deshabrashtam).

Obviously all nadar toddy-tapers could not have descended from that exiled pandya king. The toddy-tapers (nadar-shanars) were already untouchables in the chola kingdom (not suprisingly the vellalars were the harshest suppresors of nadars).

There are people who protest that the word brahmanism should not be used, instead 'casteism' should be used. But well, brahmanism is the inventor grandest mother of casteism...

Last edited:
It was not pot filled with water which was used as signal but a kuthuvilakku (called nilavilakku in Malayalam); if the light was lit the male was welcome and if it was extinguished, no. So, the FCFS system worked as on any night. The same signal served to notify the inconvenience of the woman - like menses or any other thing. This practice, I faintly recollect, of keeping a lighted brass lamp was seen in my neighbouring Nair Tarwads during my childhood.
Did this nilavilakku apply to the married nair women also (i mean those married to nair husbands) ?

I have heard from usually reliable sources about the practice, among a certain localised brahmin group, elsewhere in S.India, where a grinding stone (ATTukkal) and its "Kuzhavi" or "kalloral" & ulakkai, served the same purpose of notifying the wedded husband or paramour of the presence ot the other inside the house. Any guess what this class is?
no idea, which class is this ?

Did this nilavilakku apply to the married nair women also (i mean those married to nair husbands) ?

Yes, the marumakkalthaayam had the married women staying in their birth houses (piRantha veeDu) only and the eldest maternal uncle/granduncle/greatgrand uncle officiated as the "kaaraNavar" of the joint family (thaRawaaDu). Naturally, therefore, women of two and easily 3 generations used to live in the thaRawaaTTu veeDu which was a grand building with even 16 keTTus, i.e., four open spaces called mittam surrounded on all sides by rooms. Rough sketch according to my ideas given below:

16-KETTU.jpg

no idea, which class is this ?[/QUOTE]

I'll send PM.

Am beginning to understand there was never any such thing as 'kshatriya' and 'vaishya', either in north or south india.

In ancient tamil literature, several references to words such as பால், குடி, குலம், மேலோர், கீழோர் can be seen. What did these classifications refer to?

There are people who protest that the word brahmanism should not be used, instead 'casteism' should be used. But well, brahmanism is the inventor grandest mother of casteism...

This is a fraudulent theory perpetrated by dominant NB castes in order to hide all the oppression practiced by them and to shift the blame entirely on brahmins. No wonder it is being swallowed hook, line and sinker in this forum fested with brabas.

An article was written by one of the members of SISHRI (South Indian Social History Research Institute) regarding nayar marriage. It can be seen below. This "tharavadu" is understood to have existed among Nayars even before Namboothris migrated to Kerala. I understand these types of cut/paste articles are not encouraged, but might be required to counter those who engage in distorting history.

நாயர்களின் திருமணம்

"நாயர்களின் குடும்பம் 'தரவாடு' எனப்படும். இது தாய்வழி அமைப்புடையதும் தாய்த்தலைமை அமைப்புடையதுமாகும். இவ்வகைக் குடும்பங்களில் தாய், அவளின் பெண் மக்கள், சகோதரர்கள், அவர்களின் மனைவி, மக்கள் ஆகியோர் முதன்மையாக இடம் பெற்றிருப்பர். கணவனும் அவரது ஆண்வழி உறவினர்களும் இக்குடும்பத்தில் இடம் பெற மாட்டார்கள்.
நாயர்களின் திருமணம் பூப்படையாப் பெண்களுக்கு நடக்கும் திருமணத்திலிருந்து தொடங்குகிறது. ஒவொரு சிற்றூரிலும் 7 முதல் 12 வயது வரையுள்ள பூப்பு நிலை அடையவிருக்கும் கன்னிப் பெண்கள் பலரைச் சேர்த்து நடத்தும் இந்தத் திருமணம் மூலம் பெண்களுக்குச் சமூகத்தில் சிறப்பு நிலை கொடுக்கப்படுகிறது.

இவ்வகைத் திருமணத்திற்கு முன்னர் ஊரிலுள்ள பெரியோர்கள் கூடி, சோதிடரின் ஆலோசனையுடன் பூப்பு நிலை அடையவிருக்கும் அனைத்துப் பெண்களுக்கும் மணமகன்களைத் (சடங்கு மனமகன்கள்) தேர்வு செய்வர். திருமணச் சடங்கிற்கு மூன்று நாட்களுக்கு முன்னரே மணப்பெண்கள் அனைவரையும் தனிக்குடிலில் தங்கவைப்பர். சடங்கு நாளன்று சடங்கு மணமகன்கள் அனைவரும் வரிசையாக மணப்பெண்கள் தங்கியிருக்கும் வீட்டிற்கு வந்து பல சடங்குகளைச் செய்த பின்னர் தங்கத்தாலான தாலியை அவரவரின் மணப்பெண்ணிற்குக் கட்டி விடுவர். பின் ஒவ்வொரு ஜோடியும் தனியிடத்தில் மூன்று நாட்களுக்குத் தங்குவர். இந்த மூன்று நாட்களில் உடலுறவு கொள்ளலாம். ஆனால் பொதுவாக ஈடுபடுவதில்லை. மூன்று நாட்கள் தனியாக இருந்த பின் 4 ஆம் நாள் புனிதச் சடங்கு நீராடுவர். இதனால் சேர்ந்து வாழ்ந்ததன் மூலம் ஏற்பட்ட தீட்டை விலக்கிக் கொள்வர்.நான்கு நாட்கள் சடங்கு முடிந்த பின்பு சடங்கு மணமகன்கள் அனைவரும் பிரிந்துவிடுவர். தாலி கட்டும் சடங்கின் மூலம் எந்தவொரு சடங்குக் கணவனும் தாலி கட்டிய பெண்ணின் குடும்பத்துடனோ, அக்குடும்பத்தின் சமூக பொருளாதார, அதிகார அமைப்பிலோ கணவன் – மனைவி என்ற தகுதியைப் பெறுவதில்லை. பெண்களைச் சமூகத்தில் மதிப்புமிக்க உறுப்பினராக்குவதே ஒவ்வொரு சடங்கு மணமகனின் பங்காக அமைகிறது. ஆகவே இச்சடங்கின் மூலம் இளம் பெண்கள் தாய்மைப் பேறடையும் பெண்கள் என்ற தகுதியையும் குழந்தை ஈன்றெடுக்கும் பேற்றினைப் பெற அங்கீகாரம் பெற்றவள் என்னும் தகுதியையும் பெறுகின்றனர். பூப்பு அடைவதற்கு முன்னர் நடைபெறும் இத்திருமணத்தைச் செய்து கொள்ளாத பெண்கள் புறச் சாதியினராகக் கருதப்பட்டு விலக்கப்படுவர்.

சடங்குத் திருமணம் முடிந்த பெண்கள் பூப்பு எய்தியவுடன் தங்களுக்குப் பிடித்த ஆண்களுடன் உடலுறவு கொள்வர். இவர்கள் பார்வைக் கணவர்கள் எனக் கூறப்படுகின்றனர். பொதுவாக ஒவ்வொரு பெண்ணும் சில ஆண்களையே (கணவர்கள்) சேர்த்துக் கொள்வாள். இந்த ஆண்களுள் அவளுக்குத் தாலி கட்டிய சடங்குக் கணவனும் இடம் பெறலாம். சடங்குக் கணவனும் பிற ஆண்களும் ஒரே நேரத்தில் வந்துவிட்டாலும், தாலிகட்டிய சடங்குக் கணவனுக்குப் பாலுறவில் முன்னுரிமை கொடுப்பது அவளின் விருப்பத்தைப் பொறுத்ததே.

ஓர் இரவில் பல ஆண்கள் ஒரு பெண்ணுடன் சேர்ந்திருக்க எண்ணி வரலாம். ஆகவே பெண்ணுடன் உடலுறவு கொள்ள குடிசைக்குள் நுழைபவன் ஒரு பொருளை வாயிற்படியில் வைத்துவிட்டு உள்ளே சென்று விடுவான். அவனுக்கடுத்து வேறொருவன் வரும்போது முன் சென்றவனின் பொருள் குடிசைக்கு வெளியே இருக்குமாதலால் பின்னர் வந்தவன் முதலில் சென்றவன் வெளியே வரும் வரை காத்திருப்பான். பெரும்பாலும் பார்வைக் கணவர்கள் இரவு உணவிற்குப் பின் வந்து காலை உணவிற்கு முன்னரே பெண்ணின் வீட்டிலிருந்து சென்று விடுவர். ஒரு பெண்ணுடன் தொடக்கக் காலத்தில் தொடர்பு கொள்ளும் பார்வைக் கணவர்கள் அன்பளிப்புகளைத் தருவர். இவை பெரும்பாலும் உடை வகைகளாக இருக்கும். பின்னர் ஆண்டிற்கு மூன்று முறை நடைபெறும் திருவிழாவில் அன்பளிப்புகளைத் தருவார்கள். அவ்வாறு தரவில்லை என்றால் அவர்கள் அவளோடு தொடர்ந்து உறவு கொள்ள விரும்பவில்லை என்பதைக் காட்டும். ஆணும் பெண்ணும் எந்த நேரத்திலும் தங்கள் உறவை முறித்துக் கொள்ளலாம்.

பெண் கர்பமடையும் போது அவளின் தாய்மைப் பேற்றிற்குக் காரணமானவன் நான் தான் என்று கூற ஒன்று அல்லது ஒன்றுக்கும் மேற்பட்ட ஆண்கள் முன்வருவர். இந்த உறுதிமொழி குழந்தை பிறந்ததும் பிறப்பைக் கவனித்த செவிலித்தாயிற்குக் கொடுக்க வேண்டிய பணத்தைக் கொடுப்பதன் மூலம் அவர் சமூகத் தந்தை என்னும் தகுதியைப் பெறுவார். இவ்வாறு பணம் கொடுக்க முன்வராமல் போனால் அப்பெண் தகாத சாதியினருடன் தொடர்பு கொண்டாள் எனப் பழிசுமத்தப்படுவாள். செவிலித் தாய்க்குப் பணம் கொடுப்பதன் மூலம் ஒருவன் அக்குழந்தையோடும் குடும்ப, பொருளாதார, அதிகார, சடங்கு முறைகளோடும் தொடர்பு பெற்றுவிட முடியாது.

குழந்தைகளைத் தாய்க் குடும்பத்திலேயே வளர்க்கின்றனர். ஒரு தாயின் குழந்தைகள் அனைவரும் தங்கள் தாயோடு தொடர்பு கொள்ளும் அனைத்துப் பார்வைக் கணவர்களையும் மகான் என்னும் பொருளுடைய பெயரிலேயே அழைக்கின்றனர். குழந்தைகளுக்கும் தந்தைக்கும் எவ்வகையான நேரடி உறவும் இருப்பதில்லை. ஆனால் சடங்குக் கணவனுக்கும் அவன் தாலி கட்டிய பெண்ணின் குழந்தைகளுக்கும் ஒரு முக்கியமான உறவு நிலை பெற்றுள்ளது. சடங்குக் கணவன் தான் தாலி கட்டியப் பெண் தாய்மையடையும் போது அதற்குக் காரணம் நான் தான் என்று கூறவில்லையாயினும், அவள் குழந்தையைப் பெற்றெடுக்கும்போது செவிலித் தாய்க்காகும் செலவைக் கொடுத்து அக்குழந்தையின் சமூகத் தந்தை என்னும் தகுதியைப் பெறவில்லையாயினும் அவன் இறக்கும்போது, அவன் ஈமச் சடங்குகளை அவன் தாலிகட்டிய பெண்ணின் குழந்தைகள் செய்வார்கள். நாயர் திருமணமுறை நிறுவனமுற்ற குடும்ப அமைப்பாகச் செயல்படாத போதிலும் பெண்களுக்கும், குழந்தைகளுக்கும் சமுதாயத்தில் அவர்களுக்கான தகுதியைப் பெற்றுக்கொடுக்கிறது.
இன்று இவ்வகைத் திருமணம் மறைந்து விட்டது."(காண்க: பண்பாட்டு மானுடவியல், பக்தவச்சல பாரதி)

மேற்படியான உறவில் பிறந்த எந்த வாரிசுகளையும், உடனிருக்கும் ஆணாதிக்கச் சமூகத்தவர் (பரத்தைமையும்; கற்பு நெறியும் ஒருங்கே அமைந்த சமூகத்தினர்) வேசி மக்கள் என்றே அழைப்பர். இது சாஸ்திரத்தில் எழுதப்பட்டுவிட்டதால், அதை எழுதியது பார்ப்பான் என்பதால், பார்ப்பான் இழிவு படுத்திவிட்டான் என்று சொல்வது வரலாற்றுப் பார்வையல்ல. இது எழுதப்பட்ட காலத்தில் சமூகம் ஜனநாயகமயப் பட்டிருக்கவில்லை. இப்படி இருக்க, பார்ப்பான் இழிவு படுத்திவிட்டதாகக் கூறுவது 'எம்ப்ரிகல்' நோக்கில் இருந்துதான்.

...The extract சான்றோர் குலத்தவருக்கும், வேளாளர்-நாயர் குலத்தவருக்கும் இடையே ஏற்பட்ட மோதல். உயர்ந்த சாதியினருக்கும் தாழ்ந்த சாதியினருக்கும் ஏற்பட்ட மோதல் அன்று. வீழ்ந்துபட்ட பழைய ஆட்சியாளர்களுக்கும், புதிய ஆட்சியாளர்களுக்கும் இடையே நிகழ்ந்த போராட்டமாகும்.
Sangom sir, the phrase "சான்றோர் குலத்தவருக்கும்" gives away the bias of these rewriters and whitewashers of history. KB is obsessed with characterizing everyone he disagrees with as BB and any discussion of Brahminism and its role in society an expression of BH. He also never fully takes part in a discussion, he takes pot shots, and when rebutted, he just vanishes only to come back later with more pot shots. Given this history, I think KB is not interested in serious discussion, only in taking pot shots.

Cheers!

Given this history, I think KB is not interested in serious discussion, only in taking pot shots.

Cheers!

I have already mentioned that I have only a few minutes to write here in any given week. Hence the responses will be slow.

In any case, if I think that the argument is going nowhere, I stop writing. Like I did in the reservation thread or in the 2G scam thread. I also have no time dealing with சப்பக்கட்டு and சால்ஜாப்பு views such as using brahminism in place of casteism. A person who does so, IMO, is a brabas. He does so with the vested interest of putting the blame entirely on brahmins.

Sangom sir, the phrase "சான்றோர் குலத்தவருக்கும்" gives away the bias of these rewriters and whitewashers of history.

I think, atleast, one of the authors of this book is a member of this "சான்றோர் குலத்தவர்".

It is typical of brabas. According to them, their history is the true history. Everyone else is whitewashing.

KB is obsessed with characterizing everyone he disagrees with as BB and any discussion of Brahminism and its role in society an expression of BH.

First of all, did this forum discuss in detail about role played by others. Who are the Brabas trying to fool? Even when they did, the role played by others is also being classified as role played by brahminism. That is the problem. It is being done with the sole motivation of putting all the blame on brahmins. When I pointed it out, members of this group indulged in all sorts of name calling - "worst amoeba", "quisling" and what not. Yet, they are disappointed with them being called brabas, which they are. The dominant NB castes, who were the oppressors, were able to get away with it partly thanks to the ignorance of brahmin community w.r.to history.

Last edited:
கால பைரவன்;99925 said:
An article was written by one of the members of SISHRI (South Indian Social History Research Institute) regarding nayar marriage. It can be seen below. This "tharavadu" is understood to have existed among Nayars even before Namboothris migrated to Kerala. I understand these types of cut/paste articles are not encouraged, but might be required to counter those who engage in distorting history.

My comments are in Bold Orange please.

நாயர்களின் திருமணம்

"நாயர்களின் குடும்பம் 'த(ர)வாடு' எனப்படும். இது தாய்வழி அமைப்புடையதும் தாய்த்தலைமை அமைப்புடையதுமாகும். இவ்வகைக் குடும்பங்களில் தாய், அவளின் பெண் மக்கள், சகோதரர்கள், (அவர்களின் மனைவி— சகோதரர்களின் மனைவிகள் இக்குடும்பத்தில் வாழ மாட்டார்கள்; எப்படி இந்த வீட்டூப் பெண்கள் இங்கு வாழ்கிறார்களோ அதே மாதிரி, மனைவிகள் அவரவர் பிறந்த வீடுகளில் அவரவர் தாய், சகோதரர்களுடன் தான் வாழ்வார்கள்), மக்கள் ஆகியோர் முதன்மையாக இடம் பெற்றிருப்பர். கணவனும் அவரது ஆண்வழி உறவினர்களும் இக்குடும்பத்தில் இடம் பெற மாட்டார்கள்.

நாயர்களின் திருமணம் பூப்படையாப் பெண்களுக்கு நடக்கும் திருமணத்திலிருந்து தொடங்குகிறது. (பூப்படைந்து அதிகம் நாள்க்கள் கழியாமலும் இது நடந்து வந்ததாகக் கேட்டறிவு.)ஒவொரு சிற்றூரிலும் 7 முதல் 12 வயது வரையுள்ள பூப்பு நிலை அடையவிருக்கும் கன்னிப் பெண்கள் பலரைச் சேர்த்து நடத்தும் இந்தத் திருமணம் மூலம் பெண்களுக்குச் சமூகத்தில் சிறப்பு நிலை கொடுக்கப்படுகிறது.

இவ்வகைத் திருமணத்திற்கு முன்னர் ஊரிலுள்ள பெரியோர்கள் கூடி, சோதிடரின் ஆலோசனையுடன் பூப்பு நிலை அடையவிருக்கும் அனைத்துப் பெண்களுக்கும் மணமகன்களைத் (சடங்கு மனமகன்கள்) தேர்வு செய்வர் (பல நாயர் சமூகங்களிலும் மணமகன்கள் இருந்ததில்லை; இந்த சடங்கிற்கு "புடவ கொட" - புடவை கொடுப்பது - என்று பெயர்; இந்த புடவகொட - இது மருவி புடவட ஆகியிருந்தது - செய்யும் அதிகாரம் அந்தந்த ஊரிலுள்ள ஒரு நம்பூதிரிக்குத் தான்;this namboothiri, and in the absence of any Namboothiri accepting this office, any Nair of standing, also had the right of deflowering the girls, once upon a time. Hence the statement in the book that this புடவட ritual was for girls who had yet to attain puberty, seems to be wrong in view of the further statement of conjugal relations during the three days and so on. All in all, this is not a dependable book, imo.) . திருமணச் சடங்கிற்கு மூன்று நாட்களுக்கு முன்னரே மணப்பெண்கள் அனைவரையும் தனிக்குடிலில் தங்கவைப்பர். சடங்கு நாளன்று சடங்கு மணமகன்கள் அனைவரும் வரிசையாக மணப்பெண்கள் தங்கியிருக்கும் வீட்டிற்கு வந்து பல சடங்குகளைச் செய்த பின்னர் தங்கத்தாலான தாலியை அவரவரின் மணப்பெண்ணிற்குக் கட்டி விடுவர். பின் ஒவ்வொரு ஜோடியும் தனியிடத்தில் மூன்று நாட்களுக்குத் தங்குவர். இந்த மூன்று நாட்களில் உடலுறவு கொள்ளலாம். (how? the girls have not attained puberty!) ஆனால் பொதுவாக ஈடுபடுவதில்லை. மூன்று நாட்கள் தனியாக இருந்த பின் 4 ஆம் நாள் புனிதச் சடங்கு நீராடுவர். இதனால் சேர்ந்து வாழ்ந்ததன் மூலம் ஏற்பட்ட தீட்டை விலக்கிக் கொள்வர்.நான்கு நாட்கள் சடங்கு முடிந்த பின்பு சடங்கு மணமகன்கள் அனைவரும் பிரிந்துவிடுவர். தாலி கட்டும் சடங்கின் மூலம் எந்தவொரு சடங்குக் கணவனும் தாலி கட்டிய பெண்ணின் குடும்பத்துடனோ, அக்குடும்பத்தின் சமூக பொருளாதார, அதிகார அமைப்பிலோ கணவன் – மனைவி என்ற தகுதியைப் பெறுவதில்லை. பெண்களைச் சமூகத்தில் மதிப்புமிக்க உறுப்பினராக்குவதே ஒவ்வொரு சடங்கு மணமகனின் பங்காக அமைகிறது. ஆகவே இச்சடங்கின் மூலம் இளம் பெண்கள் தாய்மைப் பேறடையும் பெண்கள் என்ற தகுதியையும் குழந்தை ஈன்றெடுக்கும் பேற்றினைப் பெற அங்கீகாரம் பெற்றவள் என்னும் தகுதியையும் பெறுகின்றனர். பூப்பு அடைவதற்கு முன்னர் நடைபெறும் இத்திருமணத்தைச் செய்து கொள்ளாத பெண்கள் புறச் சாதியினராகக் கருதப்பட்டு விலக்கப்படுவர்.

சடங்குத் திருமணம் முடிந்த பெண்கள் பூப்பு எய்தியவுடன் தங்களுக்குப் பிடித்த ஆண்களுடன் உடலுறவு கொள்வர். இவர்கள் பார்வைக் கணவர்கள் (கணவன் அல்லது பர்த்தாவு எனும் வார்த்தை இந்த ஆண்களுக்கு உபயொகப்படுத்துவதில்லை; அத்தேஹம், சம்பந்தக்காரன், என்றெல்லாம் தான் சொல்லிவந்தார்கள்.) எனக் கூறப்படுகின்றனர். பொதுவாக ஒவ்வொரு பெண்ணும் சில ஆண்களையே (கணவர்கள்) சேர்த்துக் கொள்வாள். இந்த ஆண்களுள் அவளுக்குத் தாலி கட்டிய சடங்குக் கணவனும் இடம் பெறலாம். சடங்குக் கணவனும் பிற ஆண்களும் ஒரே நேரத்தில் வந்துவிட்டாலும், தாலிகட்டிய சடங்குக் கணவனுக்குப் பாலுறவில் முன்னுரிமை கொடுப்பது அவளின் விருப்பத்தைப் பொறுத்ததே.

ஓர் இரவில் பல ஆண்கள் ஒரு பெண்ணுடன் சேர்ந்திருக்க எண்ணி வரலாம். ஆகவே பெண்ணுடன் உடலுறவு கொள்ள குடிசைக்குள் நுழைபவன் ஒரு பொருளை வாயிற்படியில் வைத்துவிட்டு உள்ளே சென்று விடுவான். அவனுக்கடுத்து வேறொருவன் வரும்போது முன் சென்றவனின் பொருள் குடிசைக்கு வெளியே இருக்குமாதலால் பின்னர் வந்தவன் முதலில் சென்றவன் வெளியே வரும் வரை காத்திருப்பான். பெரும்பாலும் பார்வைக் கணவர்கள் இரவு உணவிற்குப் பின் வந்து காலை உணவிற்கு முன்னரே பெண்ணின் வீட்டிலிருந்து சென்று விடுவர். ஒரு பெண்ணுடன் தொடக்கக் காலத்தில் தொடர்பு கொள்ளும் பார்வைக் கணவர்கள் அன்பளிப்புகளைத் தருவர். இவை பெரும்பாலும் உடை வகைகளாக இருக்கும். பின்னர் ஆண்டிற்கு மூன்று முறை நடைபெறும் திருவிழாவில் அன்பளிப்புகளைத் தருவார்கள். அவ்வாறு தரவில்லை என்றால் அவர்கள் அவளோடு தொடர்ந்து உறவு கொள்ள விரும்பவில்லை என்பதைக் காட்டும். ஆணும் பெண்ணும் எந்த நேரத்திலும் தங்கள் உறவை முறித்துக் கொள்ளலாம்.

பெண் கர்பமடையும் போது அவளின் தாய்மைப் பேற்றிற்குக் காரணமானவன் நான் தான் என்று கூற ஒன்று அல்லது ஒன்றுக்கும் மேற்பட்ட ஆண்கள் முன்வருவர். இந்த உறுதிமொழி குழந்தை பிறந்ததும் பிறப்பைக் கவனித்த செவிலித்தாயிற்குக் கொடுக்க வேண்டிய பணத்தைக் கொடுப்பதன் மூலம் அவர் சமூகத் தந்தை என்னும் தகுதியைப் பெறுவார். இவ்வாறு பணம் கொடுக்க முன்வராமல் போனால் அப்பெண் தகாத சாதியினருடன் தொடர்பு கொண்டாள் எனப் பழிசுமத்தப்படுவாள். செவிலித் தாய்க்குப் பணம் கொடுப்பதன் மூலம் ஒருவன் அக்குழந்தையோடும் குடும்ப, பொருளாதார, அதிகார, சடங்கு முறைகளோடும் தொடர்பு பெற்றுவிட முடியாது.

குழந்தைகளைத் தாய்க் குடும்பத்திலேயே வளர்க்கின்றனர். ஒரு தாயின் குழந்தைகள் அனைவரும் தங்கள் தாயோடு தொடர்பு கொள்ளும் அனைத்துப் பார்வைக் கணவர்களையும் மகான் என்னும் பொருளுடைய பெயரிலேயே அழைக்கின்றனர். குழந்தைகளுக்கும் தந்தைக்கும் எவ்வகையான நேரடி உறவும் இருப்பதில்லை. ஆனால் சடங்குக் கணவனுக்கும் அவன் தாலி கட்டிய பெண்ணின் குழந்தைகளுக்கும் ஒரு முக்கியமான உறவு நிலை பெற்றுள்ளது. சடங்குக் கணவன் தான் தாலி கட்டியப் பெண் தாய்மையடையும் போது அதற்குக் காரணம் நான் தான் என்று கூறவில்லையாயினும், அவள் குழந்தையைப் பெற்றெடுக்கும்போது செவிலித் தாய்க்காகும் செலவைக் கொடுத்து அக்குழந்தையின் சமூகத் தந்தை என்னும் தகுதியைப் பெறவில்லையாயினும் அவன் இறக்கும்போது, அவன் ஈமச் சடங்குகளை அவன் தாலிகட்டிய பெண்ணின் குழந்தைகள் செய்வார்கள். நாயர் திருமணமுறை நிறுவனமுற்ற குடும்ப அமைப்பாகச் செயல்படாத போதிலும் பெண்களுக்கும், குழந்தைகளுக்கும் சமுதாயத்தில் அவர்களுக்கான தகுதியைப் பெற்றுக்கொடுக்கிறது.
இன்று இவ்வகைத் திருமணம் மறைந்து விட்டது."(காண்க: பண்பாட்டு மானுடவியல், பக்தவச்சல பாரதி)

மேற்படியான உறவில் பிறந்த எந்த வாரிசுகளையும், உடனிருக்கும் ஆணாதிக்கச் சமூகத்தவர் (பரத்தைமையும்; கற்பு நெறியும் ஒருங்கே அமைந்த சமூகத்தினர்) வேசி மக்கள் என்றே அழைப்பர். இது சாஸ்திரத்தில் எழுதப்பட்டுவிட்டதால், அதை எழுதியது பார்ப்பான் என்பதால், பார்ப்பான் இழிவு படுத்திவிட்டான் என்று சொல்வது வரலாற்றுப் பார்வையல்ல. இது எழுதப்பட்ட காலத்தில் சமூகம் ஜனநாயகமயப் பட்டிருக்கவில்லை. இப்படி இருக்க, பார்ப்பான் இழிவு படுத்திவிட்டதாகக் கூறுவது 'எம்ப்ரிகல்' நோக்கில் இருந்துதான். (Here we have to bear in mind one aspect. Even when the nairs' system of "sambandham" and marumakkathaayam were in operation, the Namboothiris followed makkaL thaayam as per Hindu Dharma Saastras. Perhaps the misuse of the Sambandham system had much to do with the Namboothiris' eagerness to limit their descendents to the eldest son's eldest son and so on, so that the landed estates were saved from fragmentation. Thus the Sambandham system ideally fitted with the Namboothiri system like the DNA-RNA combine. Is it not, then, justified that the பார்ப்பான் is blamed for this?)

But well, brahmanism is the inventor grandest mother of casteism...

you say so, and you want the readers to believe in it so.

then according to you and your erudition, let us know, who invented brahminism?

if there existed an inventor for casteisim, there must be an inventor for brahminism also, right!

Last edited by a moderator:
dear friends, I am glad that, a clear picture has emerged from the above write-ups, confirming--what existed, what changed, and what is current. That how, we come to know all such topics. thanks
A S rinivasan

Why is every discussion is about caste in this site. The tread had nothing to do caste-ism, it was about anthropology, and migration, and ingenuity of a group of people who happened to be Iyers. They did not use to suppress others, they overcame their adversity, and survived. It was historical fact.
As post #41 says, it was good information.:focus:

Why drag through mud, just because you have glass of 'caste' that you see the world.

கால பைரவன்;99931 said:
The dominant NB castes, who were the oppressors, were able to get away with it partly thanks to quislings, a term which would be appropriate to some members of this forum.
Wow, KB, you are really going off the handle now, quisling, really.

கால பைரவன்;99930 said:
I think, atleast, one of the authors of this book is a member of this "சான்றோர் குலத்தவர்"..
Who is this "சான்றோர் குலத்தவர்", please edify.

Those Brahmins who call themselves சான்றோர் represent Brahminism.

BTW, if you don't have enough time then you need to stop with these spitballs. If you find time for spitballs, but not for serious discussions, then you are nothing but a spitball expert.

"There are people who protest that the word brahmanism should not be used, instead 'casteism' should be used. But well, brahmanism is the inventor grandest mother of casteism..."

"But well, brahmanism is the inventor grandest mother of casteism." HH in post 30

Hello HH:

I like the way you worded it....and you are correct.

Regards.

Wow, KB, you are really going off the handle now, quisling, really.

It is a bit surprising that such an active participant do not know who used this term first in this forum.

Refer http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/genera...reservation-debate-resuming-17.html#post97888

Not only this, words such as "rascals" are being used in this forum by the brabas group of which Nara is a proud member.

It is not that I enjoy writing like this, but I am not averse to giving back the abuses hurled by the brabas group.

But, noting Nara's objection, I will edit that particular post removing the word "quisling".

Last edited:
நாயர்களின் திருமணம்

My comments are in Bold Orange please.

Sangom,

First, this article is not from the book "Shoulder Cloth Riots". The author of this article did not write this book. The author of this article is just one of the members of SISHRI. It was written to explain Naayar's திருமணமுறை மற்றும் குடும்ப முறை. The author writes that the dominant patrilineal societies characterized the children born out of wedlock (as recognized by them) in matrilineal societies as வேசி மக்கள். It was written as a response to the charges that the term "shudra" mean "வேசி மக்கள்" and it is the religion that characterized certain people as வேசி மக்கள். According to the author, this is a creation of the society and not the religion. That was the point in the last line.

Last edited:
Yamaka,

The more i look into tribal history, socio-occupational-organisation structures of various tribes, their gods / godesses, the origins of various castes like rajputs, vellalars, kaikollars, various mercentile groups in the north and south, am convinced about the following --

1) There is no such thing as a kshatriya and vaishya. The colonial period shastris were correct. The puranas rightly put forth only 2 classes for kaliyuga - brahmins and shudras.

I do not beleive in the puranic yuga concept, but i agree that socially there were always only 2 such classes.

2) Casteism is not racism, though some dharmashastras bring in skin color. IMO specific dharmashastras apply to specific kingdoms; although sufficient research is lacking in that area.

3) In tribal states, certain occupational categories either did not exist or were not in a state of suppression. Within a clan / tribe, (say savaras) no suppression existed by their shamans and chieftains on the rest of their ilk.

4) Fights amongst members of different clans and different gotras, existed for political supremacy. Such fights most likely either Began or became intense after the kurus entered india and sought political supremacy. Such fights were also in full swing during the time the brahmanas (texts) were created.

5) Mahabharat explain these fights as those between 'brahmins' and 'kshatriyas'. Who these 'brahmins' were is subject to debate, but most lkely the 'kshatriyas' they refer to were the Kshatraps who entered north-west india.

There is no such thing as a kshatriya in the vedic period. The vedas of a bygone lost era use the term Rajanya. But from purusha-sukta onwards (~ 1000 BC or 1500 BC) the term 'Kshatriya' comes in use. This indicates creation of the chatur-varna system around this time. Most likely the mahabharat war was fought during / around this time.

6) The texts explain that 'brahmins' won. Again, who exactly these 'brahmins' were is subject to debate. IMO they were just tribal warriors who after winning could afford to interpolate older texts positioning themselves as 'brahmins'. Obviously such 'brahmins' were a militant class. Upon winning they must have created the dharmashastras putting down even the temple priest in social hierarchy.

5) If one takes a look at the brahmanas (texts), it is apparent that sacrifices like ashvamedha, were created around land-conquering and political domination. The military ethos is ingrained in it. The office / position of the purohita was a socially powerful one and therefore various groups fought for a position in the performance of various yagnas. The rise of the fire priests as a class must have started here. Obviously the temple priests during this time were a different category.

6) A militant and politically dominant group naturally become the law unto themselves; and gets the right to write laws (dharmashastras). No matter what leeways some dharmashastras allowed, it must have all depended on the 'brahmin' jurors of each kingdom how they interpreted and dispensed law. And ofcoure the 'brahmin' could be anything he wanted. It was his birthright to be a 'brahmin. They could take to other occupations and yet remain a 'brahmin'.

7) After creating dharmashastras, the 'brahmins' must have began consolidating their social power. Starting by allocating people into 4-varna categories (obviously breaking down or putting strain on existing clan kinship ties as they conquered various lands).

8) Smrithis allow a 'brahmin' to take 4 wives, kshatriya to take 3 wives, vaishya to take 2 wives and shudra to take 1 wife. Creating soilders, that is a kshatriya class, loyal to themselves must have been easy. Moreover, 'brahmins' were given women as daanam or fees for sacrifices.

9) These loyal soilders started doing the fighting on the behalf the 'brahmins'; but the 'brahmins' ofcourse remained advisors to the military classes.

Once the fighting job was taken over by the soilders the 'brahmins' could ofcourse relax with a holy image of 'righteousness' unto themselves.

Here 'righteous dharma' means anything that will support fire-sacrifices based upon which their socio-religious power (and thence political power) depended. Jains and others who did not support these sacrifices were branded evil or asuras in the puranas.

So down the lane we get 'brahmins' concentrating on their yagnas / havans. The image of Parashurama, Vishwamitra, various Kshatropeta-Bramanas, becomes a long lost image. It is either forgotten or is stuff retained just in stories. The hindu population believes that various kings actually fought to save 'dharma'.

IMO, these 'evil asuras' must have also been tribal groups who resisted their land from being conquered by ashvamedha... (not just jains, spirit worshippers, etc alone). IMO even a shudrabhira king like Krishna got misused. Texts were writtten claiming that Krishna himself said those varna things.

It is not surprising that the Jain tithankaras are from the so-called 'kshatriya' class of Ikshvakus and Buddha was from a military class. These kshatriyas never got religious equality in the purohita system. Their job was just to fight for the 'dharma' of fire-sacrifices, and ofcourse to expand the scope of 'dharma' to various lands.

IMO there was nothing called aryan invasion. Just various tribals who fought, merged violently, fought again; over millenia. And whatever is 'aryan' invasion to the tamils is only 'chola' invasion imo.

Disclaimer to readers: All of the above are just my understanding based on my readings so far. Am not expecting anyone to consider them as true. If you are intersted, please do your own reading. Those who wish to involve me in a discussion, please do so if you are able to provide either references or pointers for your inference based on which you arrived at your hypothesis or supposition.

Regards.

கால பைரவன்;99921 said:
In ancient tamil literature, several references to words such as பால், குடி, குலம், மேலோர், கீழோர் can be seen. What did these classifications refer to?
IMO, it would depend on the time period or kingdom in which the words were used; as the said social classifications would be relevant to that time-period / kingdom. Those interested could refer to this website for various time periods -- A Chronological Listing of Tamil Literature /Part I (...BC - 17th C. AD)

IMO there was nothing called aryan invasion. Just various tribals who fought, merged violently, fought again; over millenia. And whatever is 'aryan' invasion to the tamils is only 'chola' invasion imo.

HH, According to you, when did this chola/aryan invasion happen? As you know, tamil kingdom changed hands between many different rulers over the past two thousand years. The choza era is divided into many periods. Which period are you referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back