• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why women must never chant Gayatri Mantra?

I liked Mr Zebra's post.
Looking forward to Mr Naithru's references.

My view since joining the forum (with some posts that made me do some research online) is that 90% of online info on Hinduism seem to be fake.

When it comes to Vedanta topics most writers in the social media and even mainstream media do not seem to have correct ideas and fold easily when questioned.

I am generally suspicious when there are pseudo scientific explanations like vibrations etc. are offered.

Lol...when the body declines in function...only the mind wants to hold on to it directly or indirectly.

Cant help quoting Bhajo Govindam

अङ्गं गलितं पलितं मुण्डं, दशनविहीनं जतं तुण्डम्।
वृद्धो याति गृहीत्वा दण्डं, तदपि न मुञ्चत्याशापिण्डम् ॥१५॥
angam galitam palitam mundam dasanavihinam jatam tundam,
vrddho yati grhitva dandam tadapi na muñcatyasapindam. – 15

The body has weakened; the head has turned grey; the mouth has become toothless; the old man moves about with his staff. Even then, he does not give up his bundle of hopes and desires.

Old or young 'desiring and hoping' for right thing is correct. In social media and forums correcting wrong views is the right thing to do regardless of age. So the quote has no applicability.

Jatayu desired to do the right thing though his wings were cut off by Ravana. That kind of desire is not what this Bhaja Govindam verse is talking about, smile

Old or young 'desiring and hoping' for right thing is correct. In social media and forums correcting wrong views is the right thing to do regardless of age. So the quote has no applicability.

Jatayu desired to do the right thing though his wings were cut off by Ravana. That kind of desire is not what this Bhaja Govindam verse is talking about, smile
Jatayu..yes!
The old bird.

Wow..you are so apt.

Hey a-TB...you do read my posts after all that too with deep analysis.
Ok...since you have identified a Jatayu and a Ravan..so who is Seeta?

Hey a-TB...you do read my posts after all that too with deep analysis.
Ok...since you have identified a Jatayu and a Ravan..so who is Seeta?
I do not read all the posts - only selective ones - random or if the title is interesting.
As I said earlier I do not go out of my way to ignore or follow anyone.

Now I did not do any deep analysis but your question requires some thinking

OK, here it is

1. Ravana - Misinformation (like Islam practices are female gender friendly or that Gayatri Mantra cannot be chanted by women ). I think Mr Zebra's post challenges that assertion and Hindu religion does not say women cannot chant. In googling I found (not sure I trust the information) Sita used to do Gayatri Japam when Ravan had her in that forrest

2. Sita - Our highly respected practices (like Gayatri Mantra chanting etc.)

Jatayu need not be old man - it is anyone trying to provide right information

How is that for a deep analysis ? :)

I do not read all the posts - only selective ones - random or if the title is interesting.
As I said earlier I do not go out of my way to ignore or follow anyone.

Now I did not do any deep analysis but your question requires some thinking

OK, here it is

1. Ravana - Misinformation (like Islam practices are female gender friendly or that Gayatri Mantra cannot be chanted by women ). I think Mr Zebra's post challenges that assertion and Hindu religion does not say women cannot chant. In googling I found (not sure I trust the information) Sita used to do Gayatri Japam when Ravan had her in that forrest

2. Sita - Our highly respected practices (like Gayatri Mantra chanting etc.)

Jatayu need not be old man - it is anyone trying to provide right information

How is that for a deep analysis ? :)
Not bad...but you see Ravan only cut off wings...But the Neo- Ravan can slice off..well never mind.

Dear a- TB.... in Islam...not that it matters to anyone with intact epitheliums..but since you are into analysis...prayer duties for a female in Islam is pretty simple.

She can pray at home 5x a day except during menses but during menses she can still read religious texts and contemplate on the name of God..hear recitation of religious texts and much more as in this link.

There is no compulsion to go to mosque to pray though it is allowed in most countries eg in the country i stay...( india and pak has strange rules.
So not really a good example)

So not really Ravan as you have analysed.
Btw what is all that bad about Ravan?

Good looking..powerful..learned..a King.
Who knew to wreck revenge cos his sister got insulted unlike some who exile their wives or let her be disrobed( in a different Yuga)

Ravan rocks!
Till today the best of the best composition is still Shiva Tandava Stotram...
Nice beat in this video..not carnatic btw.

Dear a- TB.... in Islam...not that it matters to anyone with intact epitheliums..but since you are into analysis...prayer duties for a female in Islam is pretty simple.

She can pray at home 5x a day except during menses but during menses she can still read religious texts and contemplate on the name of God..hear recitation of religious texts and much more as in this link.

There is no compulsion to go to mosque to pray though it is allowed in most countries eg in the country i stay...( india and pak has strange rules.
So not really a good example)

So not really Ravan as you have analysed.
Btw what is all that bad about Ravan?

Good looking..powerful..learned..a King.
Who knew to wreck revenge cos his sister got insulted unlike some who exile their wives or let her be disrobed( in a different Yuga)

Ravan rocks!
Till today the best of the best composition is still Shiva Tandava Stotram...
Nice beat in this video..not carnatic btw.

Nice to hear Shiva Thandava Stotram - full of energy. At the end it says Ravana composed it. Ilearnt something.

This being a thread about Gayatri Mantra I do not want to stray from the topic. I am waiting for Mr Naithru to provide references to his claims.

I only compared misinformation to Ravana.

Islam like major religions have positive things - some claim it is a religion of peace.
But these people who say it is peaceful do not condemn acts of violence openly or do not respond to statements of violent verses of Hadith and Koran and truth about the life of the prophet.

Today world's most notable violence in world stage is done in the name of that religion. The silent majority never speaks against it. They seem to wink and nod. The list is huge.

Have you been to Humpi ruins, work of many generations spanning 200 years or so of art and carvings destroyed in the name of Islam? Have you been to Ajantha and Yellora caves? The entire city was carved and dug out from top of a montain and it has amazing sculptures and paintings. All these were destroyed in the name of that religion.

OK, how about today. See what ISIS is doing. Have you heard the words of the ISIS war widows? Tiple Talaque , temporary weddings ..

Despite all these the Muslims I know personally are very nice and peace loving people.

But I cannot understand why any women with choice would praise and embrace the religion

In contrast look at Gayatri Mantra - it is a prayer for humanity overall.
I think Swami Vivekananda said that Hindus accept all religions as true.
We have no rules to go to temple. But if one wants to do a ritual then there are rules.

So I prefer freedom - religious freedom, I want to wish the best for all, not just Hindus but everyone. That is the message of Gayatri Mantra the way I understand it. I looked up the meaning. It says activate 'our' intelligence (not just mine).

Ravana - stole another person's wife in a covert manner. That is not an act of courage. He could have fought Rama directly but did not. He tricked Sita as a Sannyasi. Sure, he is a Bhakta of Siva but his heart is to trick and kidnap a person's wife in Forrest. He is a wimp and coward. Whle he may have some good qualities but his bad qualities overshadow his good qualities.

Look at Rama. He did not keep Lanka but gave that to Vibhishana. Taking other people's possessions is not in Hindu psyche. Ravana is like Islam in some sense. Take other people , take their possessions, convert them at knife point , cause violence etc.

QED :)

Nice to hear Shiva Thandava Stotram - full of energy. At the end it says Ravana composed it. Ilearnt something.

This being a thread about Gayatri Mantra I do not want to stray from the topic. I am waiting for Mr Naithru to provide references to his claims.

I only compared misinformation to Ravana.

Islam like major religions have positive things - some claim it is a religion of peace.
But these people who say it is peaceful do not condemn acts of violence openly or do not respond to statements of violent verses of Hadith and Koran and truth about the life of the prophet.

Today world's most notable violence in world stage is done in the name of that religion. The silent majority never speaks against it. They seem to wink and nod. The list is huge.

Have you been to Humpi ruins, work of many generations spanning 200 years or so of art and carvings destroyed in the name of Islam? Have you been to Ajantha and Yellora caves? The entire city was carved and dug out from top of a montain and it has amazing sculptures and paintings. All these were destroyed in the name of that religion.

OK, how about today. See what ISIS is doing. Have you heard the words of the ISIS war widows? Tiple Talaque , temporary weddings ..

Despite all these the Muslims I know personally are very nice and peace loving people.

But I cannot understand why any women with choice would praise and embrace the religion

In contrast look at Gayatri Mantra - it is a prayer for humanity overall.
I think Swami Vivekananda said that Hindus accept all religions as true.
We have no rules to go to temple. But if one wants to do a ritual then there are rules.

So I prefer freedom - religious freedom, I want to wish the best for all, not just Hindus but everyone. That is the message of Gayatri Mantra the way I understand it. I looked up the meaning. It says activate 'our' intelligence (not just mine).

Ravana - stole another person's wife in a covert manner. That is not an act of courage. He could have fought Rama directly but did not. He tricked Sita as a Sannyasi. Sure, he is a Bhakta of Siva but his heart is to trick and kidnap a person's wife in Forrest. He is a wimp and coward. Whle he may have some good qualities but his bad qualities overshadow his good qualities.

Look at Rama. He did not keep Lanka but gave that to Vibhishana. Taking other people's possessions is not in Hindu psyche. Ravana is like Islam in some sense. Take other people , take their possessions, convert them at knife point , cause violence etc.

QED :)
Have you been to Msia?
Take a trip here.
You havent experienced peace in a long time.

Well..btw Ravan wasnt wrong to trick Sita cos he didnt mutilate her unlike Rama and Lakshmana who mutilated an unarmed person.

They mocked Surphanaka and made her angry..and give me a break! Everyone knows Ravan was a looker..surely his sister too would have been beautiful and not as ugly as depicted..the story goes that it was Surphanaka who invented the game of chess??
Seems like a very intelligent woman to me..doesnt seem like someone dumb enough to propose to some unknown men that too when she is a Kings sister.

I dont feel any of these stories are actually 100% true..God knows why she was mutilated unfairly.

Common yaar...would you multitate an unarmed person?
You mean to say 2 men need to multilate her to protect Sita?
Something not right here.

Yes..you are right..violence is in religions too..no religion is spared from it.

Dear a- TB..how come I dont always see the Dhiyo Yo Nah Prachodayat effect on some who recite it?
For some the Prachodayat works only on the Ahamkara.
Any idea?
Analyse please.

Can The people involved in this public bickering stop it, and take it outside. Do PM or something else and spare us.

Have you been to Msia?
Take a trip here.
You havent experienced peace in a long time.

Well..btw Ravan wasnt wrong to trick Sita cos he didnt mutilate her unlike Rama and Lakshmana who mutilated an unarmed person.

They mocked Surphanaka and made her angry..and give me a break! Everyone knows Ravan was a looker..surely his sister too would have been beautiful and not as ugly as depicted..the story goes that it was Surphanaka who invented the game of chess??
Seems like a very intelligent woman to me..doesnt seem like someone dumb enough to propose to some unknown men that too when she is a Kings sister.

I dont feel any of these stories are actually 100% true..God knows why she was mutilated unfairly.

Common yaar...would you multitate an unarmed person?
You mean to say 2 men need to multilate her to protect Sita?
Something not right here.

Yes..you are right..violence is in religions too..no religion is spared from it.
Gayatri Mantram is very lofty in its vision I think
Hindu religion emphasizes Ahimsa as the main thing ( I can be corrected)

Yes, we have stories of wars like Mahabharathi but the teaching is not violence.

A surgery is violence but overall it cures a patient. So the end goal is Ahimsa. So Hindu religions does not preach violence.

To your question - see : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shurpanakha
Shurpanaka sexually harassed Rama dn lakshmana - then she attacked Sita. So the story says in defense Lakshmana reacted. He did not attack a woman without serious reason. Ravana then sent forces to fight and lost. Then he did the cowardly act unbecoming of a king.

I think the land that gave us Gayatri Mantra and great epics does not teach unprovoked violence

I consider the last exchanges is part of a natural flow of a discussion. Neither of us are attacking and some extensions to original topic is natural. The topic is about Gayatri Mantra and gender issues in beliefs. That leads to gender issues in Hindu and other religions.

Dear a- TB..how come I dont always see the Dhiyo Yo Nah Prachodayat effect on some who recite it?
For some the Prachodayat works only on the Ahamkara.
Any idea?
Analyse please.

Not sure I understand the question. Are you saying why people do not meditate on God's light and instead focused on their ego?

I dont think any of us can answer it about others. I am keenly following the Bhaja Govindam thread though I do not understand all of it.

My view is we can only answer about our own self. If my ego gets the better of me I first notice it and then try to correct it. But it is a struggle

Can The people involved in this public bickering stop it, and take it outside. Do PM or something else and spare us.
The exchanges with Madam Renuka has been respectful from my side (and her side also). I do not see any bickering and I do not agree with your characterization. You have a tendency to interject like this often without content or a case. Please spare us and let us get back to the topic, please

Gayatri Mantram is very lofty in its vision I think
Hindu religion emphasizes Ahimsa as the main thing ( I can be corrected)

Yes, we have stories of wars like Mahabharathi but the teaching is not violence.

A surgery is violence but overall it cures a patient. So the end goal is Ahimsa. So Hindu religions does not preach violence.

To your question - see : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shurpanakha
Shurpanaka sexually harassed Rama dn lakshmana - then she attacked Sita. So the story says in defense Lakshmana reacted. He did not attack a woman without serious reason. Ravana then sent forces to fight and lost. Then he did the cowardly act unbecoming of a king.

I think the land that gave us Gayatri Mantra and great epics does not teach unprovoked violence

I consider the last exchanges is part of a natural flow of a discussion. Neither of us are attacking and some extensions to original topic is natural. The topic is about Gayatri Mantra and gender issues in beliefs. That leads to gender issues in Hindu and other religions.
I never used the word attacking a woman but i wrote mutiltating an unarmed person..i do not believe that a woman needs to play the victim card and seek VIP treatment if in a battle.

The fact was..Surphanaka was unarmed...a true warrior lets his enemy fight a fair battle...an ambush or a suicide bombing or mutilating anyone who isnt armed is cowardice.

Lakshmana could have wrestled or given her a weapon too.

Btw correction..The Gayatri Mantra was not given to all..this very thread is about that.

So its a conditional mantra with virilizing effects.

Just to add..name me one major Hindu celebration which didnt involved someone being killed.
Dusshera...Ravan died
Diwali...Narakasura died.
Durga Pooja..Mahishasura died.
Parashurama the killing fields
Rama killed many.
Krishna killed a few.
Type the word CURSE and control search how many times Rishis curse people.

Anyways..we come in peace?

Not sure I understand the question. Are you saying why people do not meditate on God's light and instead focused on their ego?

I dont think any of us can answer it about others. I am keenly following the Bhaja Govindam thread though I do not understand all of it.

My view is we can only answer about our own self. If my ego gets the better of me I first notice it and then try to correct it. But it is a struggle
many struggle to have a Dhiyo Yo Nah Prachodayat effect.
Why?
Do mantras actually work or its finally up to us to make the change.

I am expecting a surgical strike soon..10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1.

I never used the word attacking a woman but i wrote mutiltating an unarmed person..i do not believe that a woman needs to play the victim card and seek VIP treatment if in a battle.

The fact was..Surphanaka was unarmed...a true warrior lets his enemy fight a fair battle...an ambush or a suicide bombing or mutilating anyone who isnt armed is cowardice.

Lakshmana could have wrestled or given her a weapon too.

Btw correction..The Gayatri Mantra was not given to all..this very thread is about that.

So its a conditional mantra with virilizing effects.

Just to add..name me one major Hindu celebration which didnt involved someone being killed.
Dusshera...Ravan died
Diwali...Narakasura died.
Durga Pooja..Mahishasura died.
Parashurama the killing fields
Rama killed many.
Krishna killed a few.
Type the word CURSE and control search how many times Rishis curse people.

Anyways..we come in peace?
A, It is a story, she was a Rakshasi and was attacking Sita. Lakshmana , a human did not kill her but punished her for harassment and cut her nose to ensure she will not return. The main point is Ravana tried to send his team immediately but lost. Then he did cowardly thing against humans in exile. So Ravana is no hero. It is hard to debate anymore on this. You have a fascination for Ravana - I accept that.

B. Gayatri Mantra - Mr Zebra asked Mr Naithru to provide authentic reference and he has been silent. It is not settled and most info on this is all misinformation. I know women who meditate on Gayatri Mantra. Its meaning is lofty. We need an expert like Mr tks to give his views. I may reach him via PM if Mr Naithru does not respond with references. Anyone can chant Gayatri Mantra and you dont have to be a T or B to or a man to chant it.

C. All stories are about good (Dharma) overcoming bad. Killing is not the issue, but MOTIVE behind killing is key. If someone thinks I am an infidel and thinks I am bound to hell by his religion and wants to do his God's work to kill that has to be condemned. Killing of bad forces restoring order is why there are so many Hindu celebrations (from what I know). I do not see anything wrong in that.

D. I do not think all Puranic stories can be trusted about curse etc. They are just stories. I worry if someone uses a story to cause harm to others.

many struggle to have a Dhiyo Yo Nah Prachodayat effect.
Why?
Do mantras actually work or its finally up to us to make the change.

I am expecting a surgical strike soon..10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1.
I have no idea who is supposed to do a strike

Anyway, as I said earlier others struggling or not can never be understood. Are you struggling, that is the only issue. Do Mantras work ? There is no answer to that. But in order for anything to work I have to let the good thing take place

You talked about ego (ahamkara?) .. are you able to overcome your ego? No need to answer in public forum. My point is we can ask these questions only for ourselves.

I have no idea who is supposed to do a strike

Anyway, as I said earlier others struggling or not can never be understood. Are you struggling, that is the only issue. Do Mantras work ? There is no answer to that. But in order for anything to work I have to let the good thing take place

You talked about ego (ahamkara?) .. are you able to overcome your ego? No need to answer in public forum. My point is we can ask these questions only for ourselves.
I am not into mumbo jumbo atma vidya get rid of ahankara and all..
I am myself

The Gayatri Mantra is acquired via "upadesha", japa is to be performed silently by the indivudual only after the upadesha. Until upadesha, even males ought not to perform the japa.

There is another Gayatri mantra - Smartha Gayatri - which all can recite without any bar and means the same as the upadesha Gayatri or Srauta Gayatri. It is as follows:

yo devah savitasmakam dhiyo dharmadi gocharah |
prerayet tasya yat bhargah tat varenyam upasamahe ||

The Gayatri Mantra is acquired via "upadesha", japa is to be performed silently by the indivudual only after the upadesha. Until upadesha, even males ought not to perform the japa.

There is another Gayatri mantra - Smartha Gayatri - which all can recite without any bar and means the same as the upadesha Gayatri or Srauta Gayatri. It is as follows:

yo devah savitasmakam dhiyo dharmadi gocharah |
prerayet tasya yat bhargah tat varenyam upasamahe ||

What is the reference or source for the above rule (that is in bold)? Thanks

The Gayatri that the Dwijas are enjoined to recite at the twilight time, finds mention in the Rig Veda (3.62.10) and not (10.16.3) as mentioned above in the thread. Just thought of pointing it out for the sake of accuracy. Of course the mantra is mentioned in other Vedas as well.

I have sometimes wondered why people don't open threads like "Why women must never chant Agnimeele Purohitam..." Or "Why women must never chant Tryambakam Yajamahe...."? Why this fixation on Rig Veda (3.62.10) and not other mantras? Is it another case of "anything that the men do, we too want to do"?

As a matter of fact, there is a mantra 'Tryambakam Yajamahe..." that, if you go by the adhibhautika meaning ascribed to it, is meant for getting a good husband. So why isn't there a rush to recite this mantra?

Latest ads

Back