• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why women must never chant Gayatri Mantra?

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
The majority of members in this site are Tamil, Indian Origin, Hindu, Brahmin etc.
I do not believe we need an education on Islam.
Let us get back to the Topic.
True...some oldie cant help fantasizing about virgins in another type of heaven.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Lol...when the body declines in function...only the mind wants to hold on to it directly or indirectly.

Cant help quoting Bhajo Govindam

अङ्गं गलितं पलितं मुण्डं, दशनविहीनं जतं तुण्डम्।
वृद्धो याति गृहीत्वा दण्डं, तदपि न मुञ्चत्याशापिण्डम् ॥१५॥
angam galitam palitam mundam dasanavihinam jatam tundam,
vrddho yati grhitva dandam tadapi na muñcatyasapindam. – 15

The body has weakened; the head has turned grey; the mouth has become toothless; the old man moves about with his staff. Even then, he does not give up his bundle of hopes and desires.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
"some oldie cant help fantasizing about virgins in another type of heaven. "

True.

One such oldie, having incestuously already married his own daughter-in-law Zainab bint Jahsh, and having several concubines (sex slaves) -- such as Jewesses Mariah bint Shamoon Al Quptya and Tukana Al-Quaraziya, both war widows after the Prophet suddenly attacked the sleeping peaceful Jewish village of Bani Qurayza, (and beheaded the 700 to 900 males there including pubescent boys) and having also a concubine such as Al-Jariya (presented to him as a sex slave by Zainab bint Jahsh his wife and former daughter-in-law) -- went on at the age of 53 to acquire as a paedophile six-year-old Aishah bint Abu Bakr and married her two years later when he was 55.

It was to this self-same oldie that in the Quran Allah the Islamic God revealed the incredible carnal pleasures of the Islamic heaven as quoted from the Quran itself in my posting #20 above, featuring for sexual enjoyment of the faithful for ever and ever, "young boys" and "immortal youths" and bashful virgins whom neither man nor djinns have touched before. Virgins as fair as corals and rubies.

Plus Fruits We shall give them, and such meats as they desire and a goblet filled at a gushing (wine) fountain, white and delicious to those who drink it.

The same oldie in his lifetime had the following wives:-

1. Khatijah bint Khuwaylid (who was in her forties and he was in his twenties)
  2. Jawda bint Zamia
  3. Aishah Abu Bakr (see note above)
  4. Hafsa bint Umar
  5. Zainab bibt Khuzayna
  6. Umm Salama bint Abu Umayya
  7. Zainab binbt Jahsh (see note above)
  8. Rahyana bint Zayd ibn Amr (war widow from Bani Qurayza mentioned above)
  9. Juwaryriyah bint Al-Harith
  10. Ramlah bint Abu Sufyan
  11. Safiyah bint Huyayy
  12. Maymunah bint al-Harith
  13. Mulayka bint Kaab
  14. Fatima Al-Aliya bint Zahyanh Al Dabhak
  15. Asma bint Al Numan
  16. Amra bint Yazid
According to Anas ibn Malik the Prophet visited all of his wives in one night, as he had the sexual prowess of 30 men. (See Salih Bhukhari 1:5:268.)

On top of all these, the randy oldie had thousands of sex-slaves at his command acquired through his Allah-ordained "one-fifth" levy on all wealth, land and slaves captured during the various raids on neighbouring villages and human settlements from the time he attained the age of 40 till he died aged 65.

He ordered that on his death, none of his surviving widows - including teen-aged Aishah -- should be alllowed to re-marry. They were shut up in solitary confinement in their own homes, with armed sentries posted to ensure isolation and to guard against temptation and contact with eligible men.

Some unrepentant self-radicalised cow-catcher suffering from infectious bovine spongiform encephalopathology cannot help fantasising about "young boys" and "immortal youths" and such meats as they desire. And young boys of their own, as fair as virgin pearls (for fondling, or being fondled by for masturbation, and for other heterosexual and homosexual exploits)."

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

I sense jealousy!LOL

zebra16

I read while browsing
Gayatri Mantra was added to Rig Veda (10:16:3) by Sage Brahmarshi Viswamitra.

You really mean that vedA mantrams upto 10:16:2 were lying in cloth bound condition and this Gayatri is just added or appended to the existing compendium? What about vedA mantrams after 10.16.3? They were composed later and added to the pile?

I really appreciate your efforts to spread Hinduism and make this forum lively, but picking up bits of info from the net is hardly the right way to get or pass on authentic information. For this you have to do a bit of spade work like learning how the mantrams were cognized, how they were collated and how they are redacted and being made available in the present form of mantra, 10.16.3 = gAyatri mantra.

and the universe, including the Trimurtis (Brahma, Vishnu, Siva) are said to be created by Goddess, who manifested herself into different forms.

So the paurANic stories that Brahma originated from Mahavishnu's nAbhikamalam are wrong?

In olden days, women had sacred white thread across their shoulder and participated in all vedic rituals. They even contributed towards many slokas in vedas.

Though there are cases of RishikAs like Gargi etc. to be mantra-dhrashTas and having dhrishti of mantras or being mantra composer (in the layman's language), I do not remember to have read anywhere in samhitAs, brAhmaNam, Aranyakas or sUtras of them having worn sacred white thread across their shoulder. I would be very grateful if you can give some authentic source for this info.

But in later years, due to their menstrual cycles and responsibilities of kids breaking their concentration constantly, they were kept away from vedic rituals.

Does that mean in the earlier era women did not have menstrual cycles? This does not seem to agree with biological and physiological evolution of women.

The mantram and the vidhi of wearing yagnOpavitam appears in mahAnArAyanOpaniSad which is in taittiriya Aranyakam. Judging by linguistic analysis this upaniSad dates roughly 700-800 years after Rg vedic period as per experts and if one goes by the premise that mantras were being kept added to the corpus (like you said of gAyatri) then roughly for 700 years gAyatri was chanted without wearing yagnOpavitam.

Even they are not allowed to recite Sundara Kanda of Ramanayana(for containing the gayatri mantra).

This is NEWS to me because my own mother still does sundara Kanda pArayaNam even today and she has been doing that for more than 50 years. For what it is worth, the person who asked her to follow this was my grandfather, who was a practicing purOhit and had earned the title of Brahma-riSi for his knowledge of both vedas and sanskrit.

I would be glad if you could give me the precise slokam of sundara kAnDam where the gAyatri mantram appears in toto, not one syllable here and the next syllable after 10 or so slokams.

It is well known that each vedic mantra has certain frequency and acts upon different parts of human body, glands, chakras and organs. Gayatri Mantra’s 24 digits produce vibrations that work on 3 invisible spiritual chakras (Mooladhara, Swadhishhtana, Manipura) in our body.

This urban legend has to be slayed because it is just myth. If you have noticed, gAyatri mantra (except in a couple of occasions and at gAyatri hOmam) is ALWAYS chanted/uttered/muttered silently. In fact there are some injunctions that even the lips should not move while mentally chanting or reciting gAyatri mantram. In such circumstances, can you please explain how can it produce vibrations that work on kundalini and chakras?

Chanting gAyatri mantrA is said to bestow abundant benefits to the chanter, but I would not like to go there as it is a subject of faith.

In an experiment on frogs, pre-recorded Gayatri Mantra was played at a pond where Frogs were moving around for mating. After about 10 minutes, few frogs went back into water, while others remained on land.When tested, all those frogs which remained on land were male and only female frogs left the place. Even animals are sensitive to frequencies and vibrations.

Do you really believe these stuffs?

If you remember, Dasharatha mahArAjA performed putra-kAmeshti yAgam to beget his four sons. Do you suppose Dasharatha could have been unaware of the sex changing benefits of gAyatri japam?

Your posts gave me an indication that you are sincerely interested in bringing out the benefits or advantages of Hindu culture to other Hindus at a site they are likely to meet and discuss their culture and heritage. So I thought of writing a comprehensive post to make you aware of some of the nonsense freely peddled on the interest. But sharing free-floating and unauthentic info will only result in spread of absurd messages. I would estimate that 95% of the free-floating info on Hinduism on the internet is totally BOGUS.

Regards

a-TB

I liked Mr Zebra's post.
Looking forward to Mr Naithru's references.

My view since joining the forum (with some posts that made me do some research online) is that 90% of online info on Hinduism seem to be fake.

When it comes to Vedanta topics most writers in the social media and even mainstream media do not seem to have correct ideas and fold easily when questioned.

I am generally suspicious when there are pseudo scientific explanations like vibrations etc. are offered.

a-TB

Lol...when the body declines in function...only the mind wants to hold on to it directly or indirectly.

Cant help quoting Bhajo Govindam

अङ्गं गलितं पलितं मुण्डं, दशनविहीनं जतं तुण्डम्।
वृद्धो याति गृहीत्वा दण्डं, तदपि न मुञ्चत्याशापिण्डम् ॥१५॥
angam galitam palitam mundam dasanavihinam jatam tundam,
vrddho yati grhitva dandam tadapi na muñcatyasapindam. – 15

The body has weakened; the head has turned grey; the mouth has become toothless; the old man moves about with his staff. Even then, he does not give up his bundle of hopes and desires.

Old or young 'desiring and hoping' for right thing is correct. In social media and forums correcting wrong views is the right thing to do regardless of age. So the quote has no applicability.

Jatayu desired to do the right thing though his wings were cut off by Ravana. That kind of desire is not what this Bhaja Govindam verse is talking about, smile

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Old or young 'desiring and hoping' for right thing is correct. In social media and forums correcting wrong views is the right thing to do regardless of age. So the quote has no applicability.

Jatayu desired to do the right thing though his wings were cut off by Ravana. That kind of desire is not what this Bhaja Govindam verse is talking about, smile
Jatayu..yes!
The old bird.

Wow..you are so apt.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Hey a-TB...you do read my posts after all that too with deep analysis.
Ok...since you have identified a Jatayu and a Ravan..so who is Seeta?

a-TB

Hey a-TB...you do read my posts after all that too with deep analysis.
Ok...since you have identified a Jatayu and a Ravan..so who is Seeta?
I do not read all the posts - only selective ones - random or if the title is interesting.
As I said earlier I do not go out of my way to ignore or follow anyone.

Now I did not do any deep analysis but your question requires some thinking

OK, here it is

1. Ravana - Misinformation (like Islam practices are female gender friendly or that Gayatri Mantra cannot be chanted by women ). I think Mr Zebra's post challenges that assertion and Hindu religion does not say women cannot chant. In googling I found (not sure I trust the information) Sita used to do Gayatri Japam when Ravan had her in that forrest

2. Sita - Our highly respected practices (like Gayatri Mantra chanting etc.)

Jatayu need not be old man - it is anyone trying to provide right information

How is that for a deep analysis ? :)

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
I do not read all the posts - only selective ones - random or if the title is interesting.
As I said earlier I do not go out of my way to ignore or follow anyone.

Now I did not do any deep analysis but your question requires some thinking

OK, here it is

1. Ravana - Misinformation (like Islam practices are female gender friendly or that Gayatri Mantra cannot be chanted by women ). I think Mr Zebra's post challenges that assertion and Hindu religion does not say women cannot chant. In googling I found (not sure I trust the information) Sita used to do Gayatri Japam when Ravan had her in that forrest

2. Sita - Our highly respected practices (like Gayatri Mantra chanting etc.)

Jatayu need not be old man - it is anyone trying to provide right information

How is that for a deep analysis ? :)
Not bad...but you see Ravan only cut off wings...But the Neo- Ravan can slice off..well never mind.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear a- TB.... in Islam...not that it matters to anyone with intact epitheliums..but since you are into analysis...prayer duties for a female in Islam is pretty simple.

She can pray at home 5x a day except during menses but during menses she can still read religious texts and contemplate on the name of God..hear recitation of religious texts and much more as in this link.

There is no compulsion to go to mosque to pray though it is allowed in most countries eg in the country i stay...( india and pak has strange rules.
So not really a good example)

So not really Ravan as you have analysed.
Btw what is all that bad about Ravan?

Good looking..powerful..learned..a King.
Who knew to wreck revenge cos his sister got insulted unlike some who exile their wives or let her be disrobed( in a different Yuga)

Ravan rocks!
Till today the best of the best composition is still Shiva Tandava Stotram...
Nice beat in this video..not carnatic btw.

a-TB

Dear a- TB.... in Islam...not that it matters to anyone with intact epitheliums..but since you are into analysis...prayer duties for a female in Islam is pretty simple.

She can pray at home 5x a day except during menses but during menses she can still read religious texts and contemplate on the name of God..hear recitation of religious texts and much more as in this link.

There is no compulsion to go to mosque to pray though it is allowed in most countries eg in the country i stay...( india and pak has strange rules.
So not really a good example)

So not really Ravan as you have analysed.
Btw what is all that bad about Ravan?

Good looking..powerful..learned..a King.
Who knew to wreck revenge cos his sister got insulted unlike some who exile their wives or let her be disrobed( in a different Yuga)

Ravan rocks!
Till today the best of the best composition is still Shiva Tandava Stotram...
Nice beat in this video..not carnatic btw.

Nice to hear Shiva Thandava Stotram - full of energy. At the end it says Ravana composed it. Ilearnt something.

This being a thread about Gayatri Mantra I do not want to stray from the topic. I am waiting for Mr Naithru to provide references to his claims.

I only compared misinformation to Ravana.

Islam like major religions have positive things - some claim it is a religion of peace.
But these people who say it is peaceful do not condemn acts of violence openly or do not respond to statements of violent verses of Hadith and Koran and truth about the life of the prophet.

Today world's most notable violence in world stage is done in the name of that religion. The silent majority never speaks against it. They seem to wink and nod. The list is huge.

Have you been to Humpi ruins, work of many generations spanning 200 years or so of art and carvings destroyed in the name of Islam? Have you been to Ajantha and Yellora caves? The entire city was carved and dug out from top of a montain and it has amazing sculptures and paintings. All these were destroyed in the name of that religion.

OK, how about today. See what ISIS is doing. Have you heard the words of the ISIS war widows? Tiple Talaque , temporary weddings ..

Despite all these the Muslims I know personally are very nice and peace loving people.

But I cannot understand why any women with choice would praise and embrace the religion

In contrast look at Gayatri Mantra - it is a prayer for humanity overall.
I think Swami Vivekananda said that Hindus accept all religions as true.
We have no rules to go to temple. But if one wants to do a ritual then there are rules.

So I prefer freedom - religious freedom, I want to wish the best for all, not just Hindus but everyone. That is the message of Gayatri Mantra the way I understand it. I looked up the meaning. It says activate 'our' intelligence (not just mine).

Ravana - stole another person's wife in a covert manner. That is not an act of courage. He could have fought Rama directly but did not. He tricked Sita as a Sannyasi. Sure, he is a Bhakta of Siva but his heart is to trick and kidnap a person's wife in Forrest. He is a wimp and coward. Whle he may have some good qualities but his bad qualities overshadow his good qualities.

Look at Rama. He did not keep Lanka but gave that to Vibhishana. Taking other people's possessions is not in Hindu psyche. Ravana is like Islam in some sense. Take other people , take their possessions, convert them at knife point , cause violence etc.

QED :)

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Nice to hear Shiva Thandava Stotram - full of energy. At the end it says Ravana composed it. Ilearnt something.

This being a thread about Gayatri Mantra I do not want to stray from the topic. I am waiting for Mr Naithru to provide references to his claims.

I only compared misinformation to Ravana.

Islam like major religions have positive things - some claim it is a religion of peace.
But these people who say it is peaceful do not condemn acts of violence openly or do not respond to statements of violent verses of Hadith and Koran and truth about the life of the prophet.

Today world's most notable violence in world stage is done in the name of that religion. The silent majority never speaks against it. They seem to wink and nod. The list is huge.

Have you been to Humpi ruins, work of many generations spanning 200 years or so of art and carvings destroyed in the name of Islam? Have you been to Ajantha and Yellora caves? The entire city was carved and dug out from top of a montain and it has amazing sculptures and paintings. All these were destroyed in the name of that religion.

OK, how about today. See what ISIS is doing. Have you heard the words of the ISIS war widows? Tiple Talaque , temporary weddings ..

Despite all these the Muslims I know personally are very nice and peace loving people.

But I cannot understand why any women with choice would praise and embrace the religion

In contrast look at Gayatri Mantra - it is a prayer for humanity overall.
I think Swami Vivekananda said that Hindus accept all religions as true.
We have no rules to go to temple. But if one wants to do a ritual then there are rules.

So I prefer freedom - religious freedom, I want to wish the best for all, not just Hindus but everyone. That is the message of Gayatri Mantra the way I understand it. I looked up the meaning. It says activate 'our' intelligence (not just mine).

Ravana - stole another person's wife in a covert manner. That is not an act of courage. He could have fought Rama directly but did not. He tricked Sita as a Sannyasi. Sure, he is a Bhakta of Siva but his heart is to trick and kidnap a person's wife in Forrest. He is a wimp and coward. Whle he may have some good qualities but his bad qualities overshadow his good qualities.

Look at Rama. He did not keep Lanka but gave that to Vibhishana. Taking other people's possessions is not in Hindu psyche. Ravana is like Islam in some sense. Take other people , take their possessions, convert them at knife point , cause violence etc.

QED :)
Have you been to Msia?
Take a trip here.
You havent experienced peace in a long time.

Well..btw Ravan wasnt wrong to trick Sita cos he didnt mutilate her unlike Rama and Lakshmana who mutilated an unarmed person.

They mocked Surphanaka and made her angry..and give me a break! Everyone knows Ravan was a looker..surely his sister too would have been beautiful and not as ugly as depicted..the story goes that it was Surphanaka who invented the game of chess??
Seems like a very intelligent woman to me..doesnt seem like someone dumb enough to propose to some unknown men that too when she is a Kings sister.

I dont feel any of these stories are actually 100% true..God knows why she was mutilated unfairly.

Common yaar...would you multitate an unarmed person?
You mean to say 2 men need to multilate her to protect Sita?
Something not right here.

Yes..you are right..violence is in religions too..no religion is spared from it.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear a- TB..how come I dont always see the Dhiyo Yo Nah Prachodayat effect on some who recite it?
For some the Prachodayat works only on the Ahamkara.
Any idea?
Analyse please.

OP
OP
prasad1

prasad1

Gold Member
Gold Member
Can The people involved in this public bickering stop it, and take it outside. Do PM or something else and spare us.

a-TB

Have you been to Msia?
Take a trip here.
You havent experienced peace in a long time.

Well..btw Ravan wasnt wrong to trick Sita cos he didnt mutilate her unlike Rama and Lakshmana who mutilated an unarmed person.

They mocked Surphanaka and made her angry..and give me a break! Everyone knows Ravan was a looker..surely his sister too would have been beautiful and not as ugly as depicted..the story goes that it was Surphanaka who invented the game of chess??
Seems like a very intelligent woman to me..doesnt seem like someone dumb enough to propose to some unknown men that too when she is a Kings sister.

I dont feel any of these stories are actually 100% true..God knows why she was mutilated unfairly.

Common yaar...would you multitate an unarmed person?
You mean to say 2 men need to multilate her to protect Sita?
Something not right here.

Yes..you are right..violence is in religions too..no religion is spared from it.
Gayatri Mantram is very lofty in its vision I think
Hindu religion emphasizes Ahimsa as the main thing ( I can be corrected)

Yes, we have stories of wars like Mahabharathi but the teaching is not violence.

A surgery is violence but overall it cures a patient. So the end goal is Ahimsa. So Hindu religions does not preach violence.

To your question - see : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shurpanakha
Shurpanaka sexually harassed Rama dn lakshmana - then she attacked Sita. So the story says in defense Lakshmana reacted. He did not attack a woman without serious reason. Ravana then sent forces to fight and lost. Then he did the cowardly act unbecoming of a king.

I think the land that gave us Gayatri Mantra and great epics does not teach unprovoked violence

I consider the last exchanges is part of a natural flow of a discussion. Neither of us are attacking and some extensions to original topic is natural. The topic is about Gayatri Mantra and gender issues in beliefs. That leads to gender issues in Hindu and other religions.

Thank you for visiting TamilBrahmins.com

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.

We depend on advertising to keep our content free for you. Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker so that we can continue to provide the content you have come here to enjoy.

Alternatively, consider upgrading your account to enjoy an ad-free experience along with numerous other benefits. To upgrade your account, please visit the account upgrades page

You can also donate financially if you can. Please Click Here on how you can do that.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks