• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why our ancestors used copper utensils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Renu,

I started laughing after reading your post because now kaupeenam is very much back in use!! :lol:

There is a forum in this name too!

Here is some info. from that site:

''Topic: Advantages of wearing Kaupina
pix.gif

Kaupina has many advantages

Male under garment should allow maximum air flow and should not be tight, kaupina is the best fit.

It covers what need to be covered

Itching problem can be reduced

Cleaning is easy because no stitch in it

Dries faster in rainy season

Cheapest costume in the undergarment section.''

- See more at: Advantages_of_wearing_Kaupina

ThOppukaraNam has become one of the best exercises.

Charcoal and salt are back in toothpastes.

Turmaric is used in cosmetic facial creams.

Neem is used in bath soaps.

Panchakavyam is used in fields to as organic pest repellent.

Gomiyam is sold in the market.

The list goes on and on...........

There are some unscientific methods used by our ancestors but NOT all their ideas are bad!!

Dear Renu,

I started laughing after reading your post because now kaupeenam is very much back in use!! :lol:

There is a forum in this name too!

Here is some info. from that site:

''Topic: Advantages of wearing Kaupina
pix.gif

Kaupina has many advantages

Male under garment should allow maximum air flow and should not be tight, kaupina is the best fit.

It covers what need to be covered

Itching problem can be reduced

Cleaning is easy because no stitch in it

Dries faster in rainy season

Cheapest costume in the undergarment section.''

- See more at: Advantages_of_wearing_Kaupina

Dear RR ji,

I am well aware of that forum!LOL

Some of the post there are explicit at times and some guys there have a Mother In Law fixation claiming his MIL makes Kaupeenam for him from her old sarees and his MIL insists that he has to only be clad in a Kaupeenam and nothing else when at home and MIL gives him a good whole body no where excluded oil massage from time to time!LOL
Then he also says his MIL is very beautiful and does not look her age!

That Forum is just too good!

Last edited:
Renukaji

MY OP is based on a findings of a Scientist about Why our ancestors used Copper Vessels and not about their Wisdom. Also it gives the benefits of using copper vessels as stated by you.

That's all.

Dear PJ sir,

I am not finding fault with your posts..its just that sometimes some writers just stress too much about the past.

Ask any average person of the past they would have no idea what the benefits of using copper utensils.

They just used it cos it was the trend back then.

Dear PJ sir,

I am not finding fault with your posts..its just that sometimes some writers just stress too much about the past.

Ask any average person of the past they would have no idea what the benefits of using copper utensils.

They just used it cos it was the trend back then.

renukaji

When my OP is not about Ancient People's wisdom and it is only about some Benefits of Using copper vessels, you could have mentioned about it in your reply post no 22/23.

Your post no 22/23 attempts to make it out as if OP is about Ancient People Wisdom which is not True.

I know , medical profession has improved a lot better nowadays as compared to previous generations, and it is bound to improve further; but at the same time some Natural Cures suggested by our tradition and forefathers still holds good for Home remedies like first time Aid, before going deep into the causes of health related issues.

We can just ignore those Natural remedies simply because they were told by our elders.

Dear PJ sir,

I am not saying ignore any ancient practice.

All I am saying is practices differ from past,present and future and each era has/had/will have its pros and cons.

The average Joe of any era might not know the exact scientific basis of any practice..they just had herd mentality and followed what was in vogue then.

I get people daily out here who apply oil to 1st degree burns wound (that is a home remedy) which is totally wrong cos it makes the burn worse.

One is supposed to wash a 1st degree burn wound with water before treatment but yet people keep applying oil..oil retains the heat and the skin burns more.

So I keep telling my patients..remember this " When a house is on fire..what do Firemen use to douse the flames?"

They reply "Water"

My reply "Exactly! No fireman uses oil to douse a flame"

So PJ sir...I am not saying everything ancient is wrong..there are some wrongs and some rights just like modern life too has its wrongs and rights.

Its just that I do not want to glorify past,present or future cos the average Joe just goes about life using what he has to his disposal without really much cerebral activity.

I rest my case.

Last edited:
renukaji

this OP is about other benefits of using Copper vessels and not about any other things, neither about their wisdom.When that topic comes you can post your opinion, now why you drag unconnected Medical issues etc practiced by our ancestors ?

When i got this info, thought that it is useful to share with our members, hence i posted it here.

No one is forced to read my threads, and even if one reads casually, it is up to that member to use it for his benefit or just forget about that thread as no issue.

I am amazed at the deep insight it took for this Medhavi to make this observation. But again ordinary human being some times enjoy similar opinions. Gods may be fighting for superiority. No LOL needed. The superiority complex prevents some from appreciating mundane thoughts.

I enjoyed that piece of pretention to worldly wisdom. LOL.

Jokers engage in slapstick sort of banter here.

The OP is about storing water in copper vessels and using them for cooking and not about cooking food in copper vessels or storing acidic pickles in copper vessels.

But jokers are sold on the whiteman's burden and can not keep themselves under control for a moment. The moment they see the words "our ancestors" in any post, they read it as the uncultured, dirty, swarming aborigines of a distant swamp land mass. And start jumping egged on by other such jokers.

Any way the members here would find the serious topics here very taxing but for such periodic comic interludes.

Thank you jokers. Keep it up. Medhavis or non medhavis, we do enjoy your posts.

LOL.

It is very easy to degrade our ancestors. :humble:

An example:

'They' were laughed at, for using 'kari podi' to clean their teeth!

But now........... see this advt.
charcoal toothpaste

You should not give undue importance to the posts by " FORUM PAPPUS" and should just have a good laugh at some of the postings of "jokers".

It was a very common thing during my childhood to use burnt husk of paddy mixed with a bit of salt as tooth powder and there is a famous company under the brand name of "J D Bytco" located in Nashik, Maharashtra which is still doing roaring business selling "black tooth powder" (which had a taste of burnt charcoal) and gripe water for children under the brand name BYTCO. You can google for more details.

For some forum pappus, what they do not know does not exist.

Dear Vaagmi Sir

There is an old saying

'Don't argue with Idiots' so, i follow this dictum when faced with stupid posts in reply to my OP

Also there are members who are not worthy of replying, you know very well who are they !!

if a members says as the ancient people did not win over death and died, so they are not wise, it is the bottom line of stupidity they exhibit.

Stainless steel vessels with Copper bottom is preferred by many households nowadays

This You tube cartoon was posted by me some time back when faced with the same members with their stupid posts in reply to my thread, this cartoon still holds good!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqASXGI_9j0

Totally agree with your post, especially the line beginning with "Dont argue....". This forum is fast becoming an entertainment channel with Crazy Mohans and Thai Nageshs getting more soundbites than MGR or Rajanikant :)

renukaji

this OP is about other benefits of using Copper vessels and not about any other things, neither about their wisdom.When that topic comes you can post your opinion, now why you drag unconnected Medical issues etc practiced by our ancestors ?

When i got this info, thought that it is useful to share with our members, hence i posted it here.

No one is forced to read my threads, and even if one reads casually, it is up to that member to use it for his benefit or just forget about that thread as no issue.

Dear PJ sir,

I am repeating myself over and over again that I am NOT finding fault with your post.

I do know and acknowledge the benefit of copper over plastic for example.

Its just that I feel ancients used what was available to them ..some would have known the benefits but the average Joe would just use it without knowing what was the reason behind it.

For example..ancients viewed the eclipse seriously and thought its some snake swallowing the sun/moon just to keep people indoors away from radiation that is usually higher on an eclipse.

So not every ancient knew why one had to be indoors during eclipse.

I have even read one religious text which had a stanza that said "When the eclipse is nothing but shadow falling on the moon the ignorant think its a serpent swallowing the moon"

So PJ sir I hope you get what I mean..no one is finding fault with your posts..all I am saying is not every ancient was a genius.

I feel I have been very polite in my reply to you and its clear that I am not "attacking" your post in anyway.

May be I should start a thread "why our ancients did not use toilets and preferred open ground defecation"

Lets see how that goes!LOL

The self-proclaimed medhavis and hindutwa trolls have had their slapstick exercises, I think. But if you read post No.12 here

it will be noted that the circumstances in which our own forefathers (or foremothers) gave up the use of copper vessels for storing drinking and cooking has been discussed and nothing else. Our wiseacres who think it is their duty to support the joker OP at any cost, because he C&Ps many things dear to the hindutwa lobby here, have gone haywire and written whatever came to their mind. It will serve intelligent readers to sift chaff from grain, surely.

Incidentally, charcoal tooth powder - even very fine micro-pulverized charcoal - causes scratches in the enamel of a growing child's second set of teeth and can cause unwanted dental troubles when the child grows up. If only one goes to the interior villages of Bihar, UP, Rajasthan, etc., one will find "roaring" business in many products including snake-oil type of medicines for many diseases, because these states have not yet developed and people are not aware of the many ill-effects/uselessness of such formulations. One famous toothpaste company has come out recently, because the company feels perhaps that such an advertising gimmick will increase sales.

Note: Once a Maharashtrian colleague advised me to use daily one particular "kADhA" manufactured by a somewhat well-known company and having, again, "roaring sales" in Mumbai and Maharashtra. When I told this to my gastro-enterologist, he said people use such medications and end up in Allopathic hospitals with serious liver disorders and jokingly commented that in a way those medications increase our clientele!

<please mind your language. This has been discussed many times in public and in private. This is an open forum. - Praveen>

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear PJ sir,

I am repeating myself over and over again that I am NOT finding fault with your post.
I do know and acknowledge the benefit of copper over plastic for example.
Its just that I feel ancients used what was available to them ..some would have known the benefits but the average Joe would just use it without knowing what was the reason behind it.
For example..ancients viewed the eclipse seriously and thought its some snake swallowing the sun/moon just to keep people indoors away from radiation that is usually higher on an eclipse.
So not every ancient knew why one had to be indoors during eclipse.
I have even read one religious text which had a stanza that said "When the eclipse is nothing but shadow falling on the moon the ignorant think its a serpent swallowing the moon"
So PJ sir I hope you get what I mean..no one is finding fault with your posts..all I am saying is not every ancient was a genius.

Renukaji, I do not think PJji is saying that every ancient was a genius. but he is certainly saying that the ancients were aware of something which we are not ready acknowledge and credit them with. The average joe on the street might have followed the advice of the knowledgeable one and he might not have had the time to go into the details of how an eclipse occurred.

May be I should start a thread "why our ancients did not use toilets and preferred open ground defecation"
Lets see how that goes!LOL

Now that is certainly going overboard.

Does it not reveal a mindset which thinks that our ancestors were uncultured brutes who defecated every where?

They defecated only on open ground. It is not as if they got up in the morn ing and after cleaning the courtyard in front of the house and drawing a kolam sat on it and defecated with everyone seeing it.

They certainly did not defecate in the confines and privacy of a toilet. But they went to distant place outside hab itation and defecated in privacy-the privacy that was available in villages to them even in open spaces.

This attitude, that what all we have learnt in the last 200 years from the whiteman is far far superior to what our ancestors knew, this attitude is disturbing. Give the credit where it is due. Let us not collectively suffer from lack of self esteem as a community. Hope you understand.

So much arguments and counter arguments for using the word "Ancestors" in the Title . Surprising .

Dear Krishna,

The word 'Ancestors' seems to replace the words 'Brahmins' and 'Caste' which secured five star status for many threads in the past! :D

My two fifty paise (because it is the minimum denomination of coins used now):

We learnt lots of styles from the West but they seem to be fascinated by some Indian ways too. :)

The 'Squatting stool' came to my mind after reading the argument between Renu and Vaagmi Sir!
So let us take the best of East and West and rest happily !! :couch2:

Renu! Don't ask me what is 'Happiness'...... I may have to narrate a funny Tenali Raman story!!

Now that is certainly going overboard.

Does it not reveal a mindset which thinks that our ancestors were uncultured brutes who defecated every where?

They defecated only on open ground. It is not as if they got up in the morn ing and after cleaning the courtyard in front of the house and drawing a kolam sat on it and defecated with everyone seeing it.

They certainly did not defecate in the confines and privacy of a toilet. But they went to distant place outside hab itation and defecated in privacy-the privacy that was available in villages to them even in open spaces.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

I am glad that you noted I went overboard..that was my real intention..to go overboard.

You see I feel I have been polite in my replies stressing again and again that I do not deny ancient wisdom but yet feel that the average Joe was just using what he had at his disposal.

Since my posts were not really understood well so I thought "hey let me go overboard" and it worked!

I am not glorifying any white men or any black men here ..I am just stating my opinion.

BTW I did not imply that ancestors were uncultured becos they practiced open air defecation..It is not stated anywhere in my post....And who knows may be open air defecation has some benefits..a squatting position is the ideal position to evacuate the bowel completely..then gravity aids it too and who knows when the fecal matter touches the earth and its not yet been disconnected from the evacuator ..for all we know some "current" from the earth travels from the earth to stabilize the evacuation current in the human body.

I might be right..who knows.

Also from the artistic point of view no one really knows if there something called evacuation art.I have seen people draw urine art as they urinate on a wall..so who knows some had some artistic designs drawn on the earth that went totally unnoticed.

Wow! Graffiti!

Last edited:
Dear Renukaji,

I enjoyed your quip about the artistic urge overtaking evacuating urge and resulting in graffiti on ground. LOL. Wow, what an imagination!!

Coming to more mundane(!) things which should be of interest to a medico. Are you aware that there is something said in our Sastras about how to clean oneself after every nature's call is attended to? It gives in detail what material should be used to clean the body parts and how many times the material should be applied with and without water. And to cap it all there is this stipulation that yatis (sanyasis) should collect enough of this cleaning material and store it for use (later during the monsoon season) just before the beginning of monsoon season so that they do not harm the micro organisms that live in that material in colonies during the monsoon because of the humidity.

We use soap and an important raw material that soap making starts with is mutton tallow. LOL.

And we have the answer "konraal paavam thinraal pochu". LOL.

Last edited:
Dear Vaagmi Ji,

answers in blue..

Dear Renukaji,

I enjoyed your quip about the artistic urge overtaking evacuating urge and resulting in graffiti on ground. LOL. Wow, what an imagination!!

Yes...I imagined a Rangoli of E-Coli.

Coming to more mundane(!) things which should be of interest to a medico. Are you aware that there is something said in our Sastras about how to clean oneself after every nature's call is attended to? It gives in detail what material should be used to clean the body parts and how many times the material should be applied with and without water. And to cap it all there is this stipulation that yatis (sanyasis) should collect enough of this cleaning material and store it for use (later during the monsoon season) just before the beginning of monsoon season so that they do not harm the micro organisms that live in that material in colonies during the monsoon because of the humidity.

Why worry during the monsoon..just do the head stand with legs in lotus pose..the rain will clean us naturally!

We use soap and an important raw material that soap making starts with is mutton tallow. LOL.

And we have the answer "konraal paavam thinraal pochu". LOL.

I have made my own soap before in a lab and I know how to make soap..soap need not use animal fat..in the lab when I was a teen we made it from Palm oil.

Dear Vaagmi Ji,

answers in blue..

I have made my own soap before in a lab and I know how to make soap..soap need not use animal fat..in the lab when I was a teen we made it from Palm oil.

I enjoyed reading about the rangoli of e coli. LOL.

You made soap with palm oil because palm oil is cheaply available in Malaysia.

In Kerala soaps are made with coconut oil.

Every soap maker wants to save on cost of raw material which is the largest input in soap making enterprise.

When the cost of inputs like coconut oil, groundnut oil etc., and even the imported palm oil is high a manufacturer of soap adds mutton tallow to the oils as input to bring down the manufacturing cost by cutting corners. Tallow is a waste obtained from slaughter houses by paying a small price. It is also fat like other fats and the origin is just different.

So next time when you use a soap in the nursinghome after examining a patient remember vaagmi's words. You may be washing your hands with mutton tallow. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back