• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why is Parasurama not considered an epitome of evil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Parasurama, a pure Brahmin who murdered millions of innocents, not considered an epitome of evil? Why was he made a chiranjeevin? After his "Kolaveri", he "became" a rishi and is now leading a quiet life in the Himalayas. He is reputed to have murdered women and children too.
AshwinAsh,

i sincerely suggest and request you to do some background study before you post mottai comments.

So, please provide evidence how many millions? Also provide sources / references, which mention Parashurama killed women and children.

There was one Parashurama who killed kshatriyas 21 times. Not sure which one you are speaking of. So please provide evidence (if any) that Parashurama of Mahabharat, Parashuram of Puranas, and Parashuram of Ramayan are one and the same person (same character, or different characters having the same name Parashurama)??

AshwinAsh,

i sincerely suggest and request you to do some background study before you post mottai comments.

So, please provide evidence how many millions? Also provide sources / references, which mention Parashurama killed women and children.

There was one Parashurama who killed kshatriyas 21 times. Not sure which one you are speaking of. So please provide evidence (if any) that Parashurama of Mahabharat, Parashuram of Puranas, and Parashuram of Ramayan are one and the same person (same character, or different characters having the same name Parashurama)??

I think you need to brush up on mythology, only the sage Parashurama of the Puranas killed millions, he wanted to obliterate all Kshatriyas, and killed even women and children..

Sorry son / grandson!

Parasurama was sworn to kill the evil Kshathriya kings and he killed 21 times.

He had his own code of conduct. He won't kill any king who had just got married! He would give him one year grace period to live happily with the new wife.

King Dasaratha knew this and utilised it for his longevity.

He will get married to a new woman every year and he will get one extra year to live. He ended up marrying 60,000 women in this process!

Before you start a new thread DO some field work and study the topic at hand.

We have several well informed persons here who have all the relevant details on their finger tips.

So you can't get away with your own stories in the place of our mythology!

I think you need to brush up on mythology, only the sage Parashurama of the Puranas killed millions, he wanted to obliterate all Kshatriyas, and killed even women and children..

You are lucky that the other seniors just laughed off your posts

and did not think it worthy of being discussed. :whistle:

Otherwise you would have ended up neck-deep in hot soup! :scared:

So if you have evidence from puranas, why don't you just present them here, instead of making baseless claims? Sorry to use this word - but must say your claims are utter "Rubbish".

Sorry son / grandson!

Parasurama was sworn to kill the evil Kshathriya kings and he killed 21 times.

He had his own code of conduct. He won't kill any king who had just got married! He would give him one year grace period to live happily with the new wife.

King Dasaratha knew this and utilised it for his longevity.

He will get married to a new woman every year and he will get one extra year to live. He ended up marrying 60,000 women in this process!

Before you start a new thread DO some field work and study the topic at hand.

We have several well informed persons here who have all the relevant details on their finger tips.

So you can't get away with your own stories in the place of our mythology!

This is interesting... From what I knew, I thought Parasurama spared the righteous kings and his main grouse was with the Haihaya clan.
What about Janaka? How did he manage to survive?
thanks

Why is Parasurama, a pure Brahmin who murdered millions of innocents, not considered an epitome of evil? Why was he made a chiranjeevin? After his "Kolaveri", he "became" a rishi and is now leading a quiet life in the Himalayas. He is reputed to have murdered women and children too.

Shri ashwin,

may I ask you why krishna who caused a great conflagration and death of many, many soldiers who had absolutely nothing to gain (but only their human lives to lose), is adored? why daasarathi rama who got lakhs of poor monkeys killed in war just to rescue his wife (on whom he did not have any trust) worshipped as the epitome of all virtues, the "purushotthama"?

Religion is a farce and people have to follow, or, may be they are made to, the line band akl ke tāle. And once you do that, then you don't ask all such silly questions, do you?

Shri ashwin,

may I ask you why krishna who caused a great conflagration and death of many, many soldiers who had absolutely nothing to gain (but only their human lives to lose), is adored? why daasarathi rama who got lakhs of poor monkeys killed in war just to rescue his wife (on whom he did not have any trust) worshipped as the epitome of all virtues, the "purushotthama"?

Religion is a farce and people have to follow, or, may be they are made to, the line band akl ke tāle. And once you do that, then you don't ask all such silly questions, do you?

Yet, people skirt around the issue, and don't have answers for why he killed millions. Just as there are no answers for Rama's and Krishna's vile acts. All the maamis and maamas (pun unintended) of this forum pretend to be knowledgeable, while they don't even read posts in their entirety. If only tambrams had allowed everybody to master the scriptures, they wouldn't be in this sorry state now, and wouldn't have had to flaunt their half-baked knowledge of religion and scriptures.

My available free time is VERY VERY limited and I do not want to waste it in reading non-stop-nonsense. :bump2:

"Half baked" is the right word-but to describe yourself. :loco:

You can go on to exhibit your deep knowledge in Scriptures and religion. :blabla:

Good luck and good bye.
:wave:

Yet, people skirt around the issue, and don't have answers for why he killed millions. Just as there are no answers for Rama's and Krishna's vile acts. All the maamis and maamas (pun unintended) of this forum pretend to be knowledgeable, while they don't even read posts in their entirety. If only tambrams had allowed everybody to master the scriptures, they wouldn't be in this sorry state now, and wouldn't have had to flaunt their half-baked knowledge of religion and scriptures.

I will not say that the maamis and maamas 'of this forum' alone are pretending to be knowledgeable; most hindus, and almost all tabras do lack a good grounding in hindu scriptures and that, in my opinion, includes the undersigned also. (By the word 'grounding' I mean a critical and unbiased study of the major portions of our scriptures at least, if not all of those texts.) This requires a life-time of effort and study and as the very first step, a good working knowledge of sanskrit. But we tabras (maamis and maamas, as per your usage) have been compelled to find some method of earning their livelihood and that itself nowadays requires at least 18 or 20 years of secular, scientific and non-religious study. So, for more than 100 years now, we people have lost contact with the study of sanskrit and the hindu scriptures.

If our people had continued to study our scriptures with at least 50% of the zeal with which they studied the courses which got them their jobs, many would have started raising healthy and critical questions and doubts like the one you have raised in you OP. That is why, perhaps, our farefathers, in their abundant wisdom and foresight, did not insist on tabras learning sanskrit for a long, long time now. Even the vaadhyars who come out of vedapaathasaalas have very little sanskrit scholarship and obviously, it serves a certain purpose.

PS.

My knowledge of sanskrit is also next to nothing but I am still trying to learn even at this age.

Read the link given by Jayam 33 in # 8 to understand why

King Janaka and many other good kings were spared?

The link referred above does not give the information I was looking for. Neither does it talk about Dasaratha.
'I dont Know' is a perfectly valid and acceptable reply to me and there is no hard feelings about it. Most of us are here to exchange information and ideas and learn from each other. Contentions arise only when information, impressions, opinions or perceptions are forced onto others which wasnt alluded in this case. One must be sportive if one wants to participate. Asking a question is not the same as 'being questioned'.

I have heard that Parasurama spared Janaka because the latter was an adept at performing vedic yajnas and also because Janaka was the custodian of "pinAka" Siva's bow, as an heirloom. Parasurama's principle was not to destroy those kings who did not swerve from Dharma and Janaka was one such. It is claimed by some people that king Janaka saved some of the many sons of Kartaveeryarjuna and made them vaisyas (Khattis) so that Parasurama did not kill them.

I have heard that Parasurama spared Janaka because the latter was an adept at performing vedic yajnas and also because Janaka was the custodian of "pinAka" Siva's bow, as an heirloom. Parasurama's principle was not to destroy those kings who did not swerve from Dharma and Janaka was one such. It is claimed by some people that king Janaka saved some of the many sons of Kartaveeryarjuna and made them vaisyas (Khattis) so that Parasurama did not kill them.

<edited and removed> Parasurama did become a sage, but as per Kalika Purana that mass murderer washed way the sin of slaying his mother by bathing in the waters of Brahma Kund, now called Parasuram Kund in Arunachal Pradesh. Wish people would read their mythology properly, before denigrating me.

<edited and removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
1E3
1E3
1E3
1E3

AFAIR, Though Parasurama was blessed with the axe from Vishnu, he is the indirect incarnation of Vishnu (meaning , with the spirit/power fo vishnu), but after being defeated/humbled by Sri Rama, he went to kailash. So, he himself must be Shiva/Rudra. Why are you de-nigrating one Rudra personified, being a saivite ;)?

Parasurama's words when defeated by Rama in the challenge of stringing Vishnu's bow,

"It will be apt of you to unloose that unsurpassed arrow, oh, Rama, as you have ethical commitment to wipe out demons as I wiped out
menacing kings, and should you unloosen that arrow now I wish to depart to the ethereal mountain Mt. Mahendra, a point of no return for me..." So said Parashu Rama to Dasharatha Rama.
"Oh, Kakutstha Rama, you are the lord of the triad of worlds, such as you are, you faced me down, and it is malapropos to say that this is a disgrace to me..."

Valmiki Ramayana - Bala Kanda

I guess, the leftout/products of Parasurama's adventure were the Jarasandha, Kamsa etc. Seems like, he didn't threaten the Dasaratha's lineage of kshatriyas too. Also, FYI, Parasurama was a mix of Brahmin and Kshatriya, and it is likely to be valourous against adharma.

Last edited:
<edited and removed> Parasurama did become a sage, but as per Kalika Purana that mass murderer washed way the sin of slaying his mother by bathing in the waters of Brahma Kund, now called Parasuram Kund in Arunachal Pradesh. Wish people would read their mythology properly, before denigrating me.

<edited and removed>
Ashwin, agreed he killed his mom and he killed kshatriyas 21 times. But is that tantamount to claiming he killed "millions" and that too "women and children" ??

Btw, this legend of Parashurama killing his mom is claimed to have happened in other places too (near mysore, gudiyattam, near jammu city, etc), and each place has a temple dedicated to him and his mother Renuka. Also, the Kalika Purana says Narakasura, the son of Booma Devi and Vishnu-Narayana, brought brahmins and settled them in Kamarupa / Kamakhya. So one starts wondering why would an asura bring brahmins to settle in kamarupa, and why did 'Krishna' kill Narakasura if Narakasura was a follower of the brahmanical religion ??

Also, the Kalika Purana says Narakasura, the son of Booma Devi and Vishnu-Narayana, brought brahmins and settled them in Kamarupa / Kamakhya. So one starts wondering why would an asura bring brahmins to settle in kamarupa, and why did 'Krishna' kill Narakasura if Narakasura was a follower of the brahmanical religion ??

"Oh, Rama of Bhaargava, even if you are a Brahman you are eliminable, but because of your relationship with Vishvamitra, and because you are a venerable one for me, I am disinclined to release this arrow that exterminates your life... [1-76-6] verse 6

Maha Bharata, shanti parva. 'It is no sin to eliminate fathers, grandfathers, teachers, and the like [even if they are Brahman-s,] for they are under an illusion, called war...' So said Bhiishma to Krishna and thereby Panadava-s have eliminated Drona, Kripa, Ashvaddhaama and suchlike weaponed Brahman-s in war, but not in peace. There are many more such sayings of Bhiishma.
Valmiki Ramayana - Bala Kanda

I don't think Kripacharya and Ashvatthama were eliminated. They are supposed to live on to this day. In any case Ashvatthama hardly qualified as a Brahmin in any sense.

Aswathama surrenders all his accumulated punya and gains and begs for life; he is allowed to go free.

I think kripacharya did not participate in the war.

Chekitana was a Satwata warrior and a friend of the Pandavas. He was the only Yadava warrior other than Satyaki who fought for the Pandavas. In the Kurukshetra war, he defeated many warriors and had a terrible duel with Kripacharya. Chekitana was killed by Duryodhan on the 18th day of the war.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back