• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why do Hindus Worship Bell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
8ea85-dscn0094_thumb.jpg

I have already written about Hindus’ worship of Cows (Go Puja), Elephants (Gaja Puja), Snakes (Naga Panchami), Scorpions, Sandals (Paduka Puja), Fossils (Salagrama Puja), Gem Stones(Spatika/crystal), Conches (Shanka Puja) and flowers (Pushpanchali). I have also written that the calling bell was invented by the Hindus in my post ‘’Hindus invented the Calling Bell’’. Now I give some details about Bell Puja! Yes, Hindus worship bells as well. You know the story of Manu Neethi Choza who followed Manu Dharma Shastra during his rule. When the palace bell was rung by the cow which lost its calf under the wheels of his son’s chariot he killed his own son in the same way under the wheels of the palace chariot (for details go to my earlier post).

Bell Worship is called Ghanta Puja (Ghanta is bell in Sanskrit). The sound that comes out of the sacred bell is called Jaya Dwani (Victorious Sound). This sound helps to drive away the demonic forces and brings in the auspicious and positive forces. This has a deeper and inner meaning as well. This will drive away the evil thoughts from us. The bell will ring from inside us giving us positive energy.

When the priest or the performer of puja puts some flowers on the bell and rings it loud he recites a Sanskrit mantra echoing this meaning –‘Agamanartham thu Devanam, Gamanartham thu Rakshasam’. This Ghanta Puja is done in the beginning of Goddess worship and other rituals.
Every Hindu temple has a bell big or small. As soon as the devotee enters he or she rings the bell. During the main Arti all the bells in the temple will be used. This big sound improves one’s concentration. It helps devotees to focus their attention on the finale i.e. the main Arti. Hindus consider bell sound as a good omen. If they hear bell sound while discussing something important, they take it as positive sign or a Big YES.
from-hindujagruti-org-_ghanta.jpg

Hanging a bell in front of the palace so that people can represent their grievances easily, was a great Hindu invention. The Hindu Kings who ruled from Sukothai in Thailand also followed this custom. We read about such bells in the Stories of Vikramaditya and other literature. Nowadays people in distress send SOS messages ( Save Our Souls ) from air planes and ships. In those days they rang a bell.

Ancient Ships also carried such bells. They used to ring it for giving messages. I have written about the Tamil Bell recovered from a ship and kept in New Zealand Museum. London is the Head Quarters for the Ship insurance company Lloyds. They have installed a bell that was recovered from HMS Lutine ship lost in sea in 1799. After that time the Lutine Bell was used by Lloyds to signal the loss of a ship at sea. Every time a ship was lost it was rung. Nowadays it is used for ceremonial occasions. So the custom of ringing a bell during distress has spread to different parts of the world, probably from India. We have proof for this in Tamil and Sanskrit literature.

In Japan, bronze bells date back to 300 AD. They hang it at the entrance of Shinto shrines. In China people believed bells can fly. Christian churches used it to summon worshippers. Larger bells have been used in the monastery from sixth century. Bells were used in exorcism and in the rites of excommunication. Shakespeare knew this and used it in his King John (‘’bell .book and candle’’). Many cultures believed that the bell dispelled the demons.

8fe43-lutine-bell_2190368crescuedfromhmslutine.jpg

Lutine Bell At LLoyds, London

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

Ring out the grief that saps the mind
For those that here we see no more
Ring out the feud of rich and poor,
Ring in redress to all mankind --(Lord Alfred Tennyson)

Read my earlier posts:
Why do Hindus Worship Shoes?
The Great Scorpion Mystery in History
Hindus Invented Calling Bell
Hindu Gods and Animals
Pictures are used from other websites.

Dear London Ji,

Do Hindus worship Bells?? I do not think so.

Hindus use bells in formal prayer...but that does not mean we are worshiping the bell.

The pic of the bell in your post reminds me very much of the concept of Negative and Positive Energy of the Spiritual Research Foundation.

Frankly speaking I feel we need to develop the Arjuna Principle when it comes to prayer.

We all know that when Dronacharya asked the Pandavas to aim at the bird on the tree..He asked each one of them what they see.

Everyone besides Arjuna answered that they see the branches, leaves,tree and also the bird.

It was only Arjuna who said that all he sees is the bird.

So this is what I call the Arjuna Principle..that is just be focused on God and let all the accessories used in prayer not distract our mind.

It is of no harm knowing the significance of everything we do but I have seen some religious websites have become obsessed with Positive Energy and Negative Energy and no one seems to be focusing on God.

For Vadakalai SVs who are considered a legitimate member of Hindu milieu, Ghantai is a nithya soori, like Garudan, i.e. worship worthy. They claim Swami Sri Desikan is an incarnation of this Ghantai and they certainly revere the Ghantai. Unless the SVs are not included into the Hindu fold, one has to accept that at least some Hindus do worship the Bell.

Bells are found every where..the ice cream vendor and also Prisons! So I feel a bell is still a bell.

Functions of a bell:

1)To attract attention.

2)To denote the commencement of prayer.

3)To denote commencement or the end of a particular routine.

4)To boost morale.

A bell serves as an indicator for those who can hear.

Last edited:
Dear Prasad,
our question is a good question. They worship everything so that one would use them to the minimum and treat them respectfully. I do look at my hand every morning in the bed and say Karagre Vasathe Lakshmi..........sloka meaning Laksmi, Saraswathy and Govinda resides in each part of hand. Then before stepping out of bed I say Samudra vasane Devi......................... sloka meaning, O earth ,please forgive me for stepping on you. Likeme ,A plugher also begs pardon before digging or ploughing the earth in the Bhumi Puja. We see God in animate and inanimate things. This made Hindus great at one time. Now we lost the meaning of our rituals.

Dear Nara
Thanks for adding unknown information about Ghanta. Had I known it earler I would have added it in the main article.

Dear Renuka
I agree with you on most of the points you said about the bell. But Ghanta Puja is part of Hindu worship. If you go to Sri Vidhya Puja published by R.K Mutt you can see it is listed along with other pujas like Shanka Puja etc. We use it and we WORSHIP IT too. There is a special mantra for it .Any priest in your temple or your town will give you the mantra.

Dear London Ji,

Do Hindus worship Bells?? I do not think so.

In some smArtha traditions, Nandi the vAhana of Siva is embedded at the top of the bell.

After SivAradhana it is customary to do the pUjA of nandi embedded on the bell with nirmAlyam of the flowers used for Siva pUjA.

Dear Prasad,
our question is a good question. They worship everything so that one would use them to the minimum and treat them respectfully. I do look at my hand every morning in the bed and say Karagre Vasathe Lakshmi..........sloka meaning Laksmi, Saraswathy and Govinda resides in each part of hand. Then before stepping out of bed I say Samudra vasane Devi......................... sloka meaning, O earth ,please forgive me for stepping on you. Likeme ,A plugher also begs pardon before digging or ploughing the earth in the Bhumi Puja. We see God in animate and inanimate things. This made Hindus great at one time. Now we lost the meaning of our rituals.

Dear Nara
Thanks for adding unknown information about Ghanta. Had I known it earler I would have added it in the main article.

Dear Renuka
I agree with you on most of the points you said about the bell. But Ghanta Puja is part of Hindu worship. If you go to Sri Vidhya Puja published by R.K Mutt you can see it is listed along with other pujas like Shanka Puja etc. We use it and we WORSHIP IT too. There is a special mantra for it .Any priest in your temple or your town will give you the mantra.

Ayudh Puja, Vahan Puja, Tools puja you name it it we do puja.

Doing Pooja like Ghanta Pooja or Shanka Pooja does not mean we "worship" the bell or the conch.

It is just respecting the objects used in formal prayer and also to honour the subtle significance the bell and conch convey.

So there is a world of a difference between Worship and Respecting/Honouring.

That way we can also worship our Laptop daily for giving us the opportunity to transmit our thoughts here for the benefit of others too and also allowing us Google Search to improve our knowledge of mantras/shlokas..listening to bhajans etc.

So Laptop pooja anyone??

Why not??

Last edited:
Renuka

It is all one's belief.
Believe it or not.
Laptop Puja is done in London in almost all Business families.
In those days they used to do Puja for their account Notebooks on the new year day following Deepavali.
Nowadays everything is on computer.
They put laptops in the place and do the puja (here in London).
If you want call it, paying respects.
We do puja for all our books and musical instruments on Saraswathy Puja day.
Kings and armies do Ayudha Pujaon that day. Carpenters and others do Instruments Puja!
In short, for Hindus, everything is divine.

Renuka

It is all one's belief.
Believe it or not.
Laptop Puja is done in London in almost all Business families.
In those days they used to do Puja for their account Notebooks on the new year day following Deepavali.
Nowadays everything is on computer.
They put laptops in the place and do the puja (here in London).
If you want call it, paying respects.
We do puja for all our books and musical instruments on Saraswathy Puja day.
Kings and armies do Ayudha Pujaon that day. Carpenters and others do Instruments Puja!
In short, for Hindus, everything is divine.

London ji,

OMG! I did not know that even Laptop Pooja is done!

When everything including inanimate objects are divine but surprisingly some humans are looked down upon as impure and contact with them is surely not deemed 'Divine' in the eyes of some.

Whatever happened to divinity then?

Last edited:
Dear Renuka

That is a good question.I dont agree with the caste system now. But I do encourage both my sons to get married to girls from my own Brahmin caste. This is for cultural compatibility. But tomorrow if he comes with another caste girl, I am not going to kick him out.

Caste did a great service to Hinduism at one time. Prof. A L Bhasham, a famous historian and author of the book THE WONDER THAT WAS INDIA which was prescribed to me when I did MA (History) in Madurai University. Please read this book.He says that caste prevented conversions. He says caste was not Aryan but may be a product of Indus Valley civilization.

I dont agree with him on all points.But the amazing thing about India is foregners could hardly convert under 10 percent of the populations as Christians and Muslims, many under duress or for economic benefits. But if you take Africa, America (both continents),Australia, The Middle East ---wherever the Christian missionaries and Muslim Armies went , 99 percent were converted as Christians or Muslims. India escaped from this because the caste system insulated and protected them from such cultural attacks.

About looking down upon them and impurities, physical or mental:

These are all age (era) related. Even Adi Shankara did not escape from this when he asked the low caste man to get out of his way. But later he got enlightenment. Swami Vivekananda criticized Adi Shankara narrow minded and praised Buddha broad minded in one of his talks. I dont agree with Swami Vivekananda here. A person lived in his own age according to the prevalent customs.

To cut it short,look at the outcry about gay marriage, Muslim genital mutilation and abortions around the world.Stoning a person to death, whipping a woman to death for adultery are practiced in several countries. Like caste divisions, such cultural divisions will always exist in the world. Me and you may not agree, but they says it is the law of the land. As long as caste was labour of division as in Vedic age, it was right. Today it is wrong. But I would not support any iconoclastic approach. It must be dismantled in its own way, in its own time. You cant demolish it overnight.

London ji,

OMG! I did not know that even Laptop Pooja is done!

When everything including inanimate objects are divine but surprisingly some humans are looked down upon as impure and contact with them is surely not deemed 'Divine' in the eyes of some.

Whatever happened to divinity then?

Renuka,

I think, we need to entertain poojas for ATM cards, cellphones and laptops in India, Becos India has become a hacker hub! Some Indians are trusting, and dont care to add security measures to their internet browsing.

Let the gods save these naive people.

Dear Renuka

That is a good question.I dont agree with the caste system now. But I do encourage both my sons to get married to girls from my own Brahmin caste. This is for cultural compatibility. But tomorrow if he comes with another caste girl, I am not going to kick him out.

Caste did a great service to Hinduism at one time. Prof. A L Bhasham, a famous historian and author of the book THE WONDER THAT WAS INDIA which was prescribed to me when I did MA (History) in Madurai University. Please read this book.He says that caste prevented conversions. He says caste was not Aryan but may be a product of Indus Valley civilization.

I dont agree with him on all points.But the amazing thing about India is foregners could hardly convert under 10 percent of the populations as Christians and Muslims, many under duress or for economic benefits. But if you take Africa, America (both continents),Australia, The Middle East ---wherever the Christian missionaries and Muslim Armies went , 99 percent were converted as Christians or Muslims. India escaped from this because the caste system insulated and protected them from such cultural attacks.

About looking down upon them and impurities, physical or mental:

These are all age (era) related. Even Adi Shankara did not escape from this when he asked the low caste man to get out of his way. But later he got enlightenment. Swami Vivekananda criticized Adi Shankara narrow minded and praised Buddha broad minded in one of his talks. I dont agree with Swami Vivekananda here. A person lived in his own age according to the prevalent customs.

To cut it short,look at the outcry about gay marriage, Muslim genital mutilation and abortions around the world.Stoning a person to death, whipping a woman to death for adultery are practiced in several countries. Like caste divisions, such cultural divisions will always exist in the world. Me and you may not agree, but they says it is the law of the land. As long as caste was labour of division as in Vedic age, it was right. Today it is wrong. But I would not support any iconoclastic approach. It must be dismantled in its own way, in its own time. You cant demolish it overnight.

Dear London ji,

Fair enough sir..there is no harm a person marries his own caste too cos life style would be the same and not much of a cultural shock.

But for people like me who lead a rather "free thinking Indian Hindu" lifestyle I do not mind my son marrying any Indian of any caste who has the same free thinking Indian Hindu mindset.

I have seen even some NB Tamilians who rigidly follow their caste lifestyle...that is the reason I opted to marry a person who is mixed caste like me..I would have never consented to marry a full 100% pure breed of any kind cos pure breeds tend to follow lifestyle rigidly but hybrids then to have a more open concept of religion and life.

Now coming to Adi Shankara episode..it is often misunderstood here that Adi Shankara still harboured some feelings about caste etc...That is not how it is for a person who sang at the tender age of childhood "Na me Mrtyu Shanka Na me Jati Bheda"..it is just that Adi Shankara wanted to show the world that anyone who knows Atma Jnaana is worthy of respect.

Great souls often role play situations they are aware of just to teach mankind.

I am surprised that Swami Vivekananda criticized Adi Shankara in this episode cos Swami Vivekananda himself did pass some caste biased comment when he mentioned about women of India where he said that 'Women of the upper caste do not remarry after death of husband and consider widow remarriage as a social degradation"

I was wondering when he had slight caste bias here by leaving the lower caste women out of his statement (who also do not remarry after death of husband)... why was he seeing the Adi Shankara episode as being narrow minded??

Coming to demolishing anything..I feel basically it is up to the mindset of the person..some people need acknowledgment from society in the form of praise and status and hold on tight to their positions of "status" like richness,caste based position,status in beauty, education etc.

So it is not that any social practice takes time to be demolished but it is how important a particular standing is to us.

I will give you a simple example..I have some weird Indian patients who sometimes try to find out my caste becos they are looking for grooms for their daughters and hoping I am of their caste so that I can may be recommend some relative or the other.

So I usually only say "I am human"

But when I relate this to some of my other doctor friends they tell me "hey if you give answers like that..patients are going to think you are a lower caste person"

My reply is 'does it really matter what they think?? What is wrong even by being a so called lower caste? I do not need the caste tag hence my answer will be just "I am human"

So London Ji...to demolish anything is actually very easy...all we have to ask ourselves is "Do I really need it?"

Last edited:
Dear Govinda

Indians are naive.Three businesses are flourishing in India: 1.Ashrams and Swamijis 2.Nursery schools and colleges and 3. Native medicine clinics for impotence and infertility!

You can start any one of these tomorrow and within a year you will have a million in your bank account. We brothers used to crack jokes at home.Each one must start one of these and see who becomes richer quicker!

But I must add one more thing. In foreign countries also we such naive people. There are more than 280 Christian denominations. Look at the weird Christian sects in America. They commit mass suicide thinking that the world is going to end on a particular day.

Look at Iraq and Pakistan. Shias and Sunnys attack each other every week.Hundreds of people are dying every week. in Northern Island (part of UK) every week there is an attack between the Catholics and Protestants. So naivety and blind belief are there every where.

Sorry I have slightly deviated from naivety to belief and fanaticism.

Renuka

I agree with you. But I want to add one more important point regarding Adi Shankara and Swami Vivekananda.
They are Himalayas and I am a mosquito. I am in no position to pass judgement. People take lot of statements or quotes out of context and interpret them in their own way.

Swami Vivekanada was a kayastha Brahmin. In North India there is a saying ''if you see a Kayastha and a snake ,first kill the Kayastha. In Tamil Nadu the DK people changed it to ''Brhamins and Snakes''!!

When Bengali Brahmins started attacking Swamiji in the Bengali newspapers, Swamiji had to defend his caste. That is the only speech where he supported caste ism. This article is in Manjari (Readers Digest for Tamil speakers). Once again we shouldn't find fault with Swamiji , by taking it out of context. He was the greatest among the proponents of Advaita in English.

Renuka

I agree with you. But I want to add one more important point regarding Adi Shankara and Swami Vivekananda.
They are Himalayas and I am a mosquito. I am in no position to pass judgement. People take lot of statements or quotes out of context and interpret them in their own way.

Swami Vivekanada was a kayastha Brahmin. In North India there is a saying ''if you see a Kayastha and a snake ,first kill the Kayastha. In Tamil Nadu the DK people changed it to ''Brhamins and Snakes''!!

When Bengali Brahmins started attacking Swamiji in the Bengali newspapers, Swamiji had to defend his caste. That is the only speech where he supported caste ism. This article is in Manjari (Readers Digest for Tamil speakers). Once again we shouldn't find fault with Swamiji , by taking it out of context. He was the greatest among the proponents of Advaita in English.

Dear London ji,

Agreed all of us are mosquitoes compared to them.

Finding discrepancy in some statements does not translate as passing a judgement on any Swami ji...everyone learns by understanding and trying to figure out what is behind a statement...remember Kallama Sutta??

In fact you yourself mentioned that you disagree with Swami Vivekananda in his stance about the Adi Shankara episode citing the difference of the time and era as a reason..so by disagreeing that does not mean you are finding fault or passing a judgement with Swami isn't it??

We still hold him with high regard but there might be some points that some of us might beg to differ.

BTW this is the first time I am hearing about Kayastha Brahmin.

Kayasthas are not considered Brahmins as far as I know and in fact sometimes they are considered either elevated Kshatriyas or sometimes even not considered Kshatriyas and their Varna positions are always subjected to debate.

It is not that it is of any importance what caste Swami Vivekanda belonged too but since you mentioned the word Kayastha Brahmin I thought I would just state my opinion.

Last edited:
According to multiple accounts, they are a literate and educated class of Kshatriyas, and have been referred to as a twice-born caste "whose claims to Kshatriya status need not be caviled at". Other sources rank Kayasthas higher than Kshatriyas but below Brahmins and describe them as "a mixed caste", variously thought to be composed of people from the Brahmin, Vaishya and Kshatriya varnas or "Brahman-Sudra (lower caste)", and sometimes Kshatriyas. Some Kayasthas have claimed Brahmin status, though this has been challenged by other Brahmin groups.

In Bihar they also have Bhumiar-Brahmin who claim to be mixture of Brahmin and Ksaytriya.
In Gujarat they have Nagar-Brahmin who claim descendency from the Greeks.

It was fashionable to claim closeness to the top of the hierarchy.

Kamat's Potpourri: Brahmins - A List of Brahmin Communities

The belief that people born in brahmin caste, automatically become brahmins, is a much later concept in the very ancient land of India. In the pre-Gita period (before the beginning of the Christian era) a Brahmin was a person who had attained highest spiritual knowledge (brahmavidya). This was an extremely difficult path of discipline of body, mind , and intellect, and people irrespective of their birth or class, who dedicated to such an austere life were recognized as brahmins.
A great example of this tradition (that a person becoming a brahmin, rather than born as one) is the case of Vishwamitra, a warrior (kshatriya), who became a brahmin after attaining brahmavidya, and composed the Gayatri mantra, the most sacred hymn of the Hindus.

A smritis, or code of conduct composed by sage Atri defines brahminhood very clearly.

"By birth, every man is a Shudra (an ignorant person). Through various types of disciplines (samskaras), he becomes a dwija (twice born). Through the studies of scriptures, he becomes a vipra (or a scholar). Through realization of supreme spirit (brahmajnana), he becomes a brahmin."

The Bhagavad-Gita divides1 the class of people into four categories of Brahmana, Kshtriya, Vaishya, and Shudra depending on the traits (svabhava) inherent in individuals.
1. Chapter XVIII of Bhagavad-Gita, verses 41 - 45
Kamat's Potpourri: Brahmins - Who is a Brahmin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back