• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why do Hindus Worship God of Death Everyday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yamaa.gif

Why do Hindus Worship God of Death Everyday?

By London Swaminathan

As a Brahmin I worship the Vedic God Yama every day along with Agni, Indra, Varuna, Mitra, Vayu, Arka (sun), Vageesa (Brihspati/ Jupiter) and Vishvedeva:. I feel very proud to continue the tradition that was started at least 5000 years ago on the banks of the mighty River Sarasvati.
I turn towards South and recite a mantra for Yama, Lord of Death, in my daily prayers called Sandhya vandanam. Brahmins, and in olden days, all the three castes Brahmin, Kshatriya and Vaisya were performing this ritual known as Sandhyavandhanam (Surya Worship) thrice a day; just before sun rise, mid day and during sun set.

Yama is known as Dharma Raja, Mrtyu, Antaka, Vaivasvata, Kala, Sarva Bhoota Kshayakara, Audumbara, Dathna, Neela, Parameshti, Vrukodara, Chitra, Chitra Gupta (14 names) in the mantra.
One of the names is ‘Black’ (neelaaya). This is another blow to Aryan Dravidian theory. Like Kali, Sanaischara (Saturn), Vishnu, Vyasa, Krishna, Rama, Yama is also black. Black is the colour of death all over the world. Even today Christians and Jews wear only black dress for funeral ceremonies. Without realising this, so called Dravidian political parties of Tamil Nadu also follow this and wear Black badges for funerals!! Yama is always associated with South.

Why do Hindus, particularly Brahmins, worship Yama every day?

Remembering death every day will make them do good things without any delay. This is because Hindus believe that the merits (Punya) that one earns in this life will help one in the afterlife. Remembering death every day serve as shock absorbers. As births in any family are common, deaths are also common in all our families. But some people find it very difficult to overcome such a big shock. If they recite Yama mantra every day this will give them some solace. Because we know Yama will visit us one day with his accountant/ assistant Chitra Gupta.
yama_statue-152122902.jpg

Another belief among Hindus is that by reciting certain mantras, you can avoid death until you are hundred years old. Hindus fixed one’s full life span as 100. They were the inventors of decimal system. So all their mantras will have 100, 1000, 100, 000 (Lakh= laksha) or Koti (ten million).
Brahmins recite one other mantra before this Yama mantra. It is recited in the mid day oblations. They ask for good eye sight, good hearing power, good life, healthy and happy life for 100 years ( (The mantra begins with Pashyema Sardas satam……).

For Hindus, death is like throwing away old shirts (old body) and birth is like taking new shirts. Krishna makes it very simple through this simile in His Bhagavad Gita ( Sloka 2-22 begins with Vasamsi Jeernanani…….). Tamil poet Tiru Valluvar compares it to birds leaving the nests (Kural 338, 339).

Tamil and Sanskrit literature is full of hymns and poems on the impermanence of life. They are taught to children from very young age through school text books.

Mahabaharata has a beautiful episode called Questions of a Ghost known as Yaksha Prasna. Yakshas are tree spirits. The last question of the ghost was ‘’What is the most wonderful thing in the world?’’. Dharma, while answering this question, said, ‘’ Every day people are dying, but yet people think that they are going to be here permanently and don’t bother about death at all.’’

A couple of observations here won’t be out of place:

Yama is called ‘dathnaya’. English word death came from this.
Chitra Gupa is called Yama’s accountant who takes into account the good and bad deeds we do every day and punishes or rewards after death. If the balance is in our favour we go to heaven, if it is not in our favour we go to hell. Hindus believe in this Punya and Papa. In fact Chitra Gupta is an abstract thing. Whatever we think is recorded as mental pictures or impressions. That is known as Chitra Gupta= Secret Drawing/picture.

We may lie to anyone but not to our conscience. We may pretend that we are following the right path. But our inner conscience contradicts it. Chitra Gupta takes in to account all our good and bad thoughts and deeds. Even our thoughts are counted. If our brain and computers can do billions of calculations, can’t Chitragupta do it?

Interesting Facts about Yama :(Source: Yama by Kusum P.Merh)

Yama means twins in general. Yama has a twin sister Yami. Yama was the first man to die. Yama was the son of Vivaswat. His brother was Vaivaswata Manu. Yama is compared to Pluto and Minos in western pantheon. Yama has two dogs with four eyes each. He rides upon a buffalo. In Mahabaharata he was the father of Dharma. Chitra Gupta’s register is called Agra Sandhani. Yama carries a noose. His wives are Hemamala, Susila and Vijaya. Rig Veda has a hymn on Yama (10-14). Yama’s mother was Saranyu.

Yama is compared with Avestan Yema, Lettic jumis, Mir.emuin (all meaning Twins); Latin geminus, gemellus, Greek Didumos according to Guntert.

Following is the prayer to Yama; Brahmins recite it thrice a day:
‘’Yamaaya dharma raajaaya
Mrutyave cha antakaaya cha
Vaivasvataaya kaalaaya
Sarva bhoota kshayaaya cha.

Audumbaraaya dadhnaaya
Neelaaya parameshtine
Vrukodaraaya chitraaya chitraguptaaaya vai namaha
chitraguptaaaya vai nama om namaha iti’’.

yama-statue-2.jpg

Meaning in English: Yama vandanam : Salutations to Yama,( Lord of Death ) who controls everything, Lord of Dharma (righteousness), who is death and who is time, who dissolves all ,who terminates everything, who is the son of Vivsvan, who is very strong, who has the name of Dadhna, who is of black complexion, who is worshipped by all, who has a large belly, who preserves all secrets scrupulously and who is a miracle himself. Prostration with On to Chitragupta.

For more on Sandhaya Vandhana, please road my A layman’s Guide to Sandhya Vandhana titled ‘’ Why Do Brahmins Deserve an Entry in to Guinness Book of Records?’’. Also ‘’Why Do Hindus worship Bells?’’ ‘’Why do Hindus worship Shoes?’’ ‘’Why do Hindus practise Homeopathy’’? HEAD TOWARDS NORTH IS WRONG + 600 articles.

Pictures are taken from other sites;thanks.

Dear Sir,

Interesting but I am also wondering now "Why do Hindus worship Movie Stars"

May be we should do some research on that too.

1286606960_narasimha-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Renuka

Thanks for introducing some fun to break the monotony.

I forgot one comedy by Thangavelu. Is it Naan Kanda Sorgam where he visits Yamaloka?

As a school boy I enjoyed the movie thoroughly.

The Hindus worship the God of death because:

Death is the ultimate truth?
The great equalizer?
A chance to meet the Almighty?
A perfect event?
The end of all journeys?
A beginning in the circle of life?

The Hindus worship the God of death because:

Death is the ultimate truth?
The great equalizer?
A chance to meet the Almighty?
A perfect event?
The end of all journeys?
A beginning in the circle of life?

I find it a bit contradicting too at times cos at one end of the spectrum we Hindus worship the God of Death (Yama) but at the other end of the spectrum we say "Chandrasekharamashraye Mama Kim Karishyati Vai Yamaha"(meaning ..when I have surrender unto Chandrasekhara..what can Yama do to me?")

So you see we Hindus tend to contradict ourselves many a times....and that is the best part of being a Hindu..anything and everything is acceptable...it is even better than democracy..but sadly people want to make Hinduism an autocracy.

Hi Renuka

Thanks for introducing some fun to break the monotony.

I forgot one comedy by Thangavelu. Is it Naan Kanda Sorgam where he visits Yamaloka?

As a school boy I enjoyed the movie thoroughly.

Dear Sir,

I want some answers too if possible why "Hindus worship Movie Stars"

‘’Yamaaya dharma raajaaya
Mrutyave cha antakaaya cha
Vaivasvataaya kaalaaya
Sarva bhoota kshayaaya cha.

Audumbaraaya dadhnaaya
Neelaaya parameshtine
Vrukodaraaya chitraaya chitraguptaaaya vai namaha
chitraguptaaaya vai nama om namaha iti’’.
We dont fold our hands in namaskaram when chanting this.

I want some answers too if possible why "Hindus worship Movie Stars"
How did you come to the conclusion that only hindus worshipped movie stars? People from all religions worship movie stars, but since hindus have the concept of a temple, they perhaps thought it fit.

After all, a statue is only an expression of their veneration.

renukaji

Namitha will be worshiped soon!!!

The temple work is taking its shape in Tamil Nadu’s Tirunelveli district and hearing this news Namitha is delighted as well as little worried.

Namitha who was born in the year 1981 on May 10th has almost made her presence in 38 films which also includes a English movie ‘Maya’.
Previously a similar temple was built in the name of beautiful, aunty Khushboo. But was latter destroyed when she made controversial statements in 2005 against Sex before marriage and HIV. Being a Muslim Khushboo achieved a lot of fan following in Tamil and Telugu, but when she married a Hindu director Sunder C, her film life was obstacle by her husband.
Tirunelveli is almost 625 kilometers from Chennai.

Read about it here

Namitha will be worshipped as a goddess soon | Tamil Actress

Hi Renuka

Why do Hindus worship movie stars? is a sweeping statement. Very few ''Hindus'' ''worship'' film stars.
There is a difference between worship and blind following. I have read about building temple for actress Kushpu once. But I did not know whether it was actually executed or not. If anyone ''worships'' film star it is sheer ignorance.

Regarding MGR, there was interesting article in the famous Readers Digest some time ago. Irrespective of religion,pregnant women and women with newly born babies were waiting till 3 am to see him, reported Readers Digest. It is a blind faith. NT Ramarao also commanded such respect among Telugus. Not even Indira Gandhi could dislodge MGR or NTR-- Movie Magic!!!

When I was a school boy people who brought horoscope for my eldest brother said, Ponnu Latchumi maathiri iruppaa (Girl looks like Goddess Lakshmi). When my youngest brother got married it changed to Ponnu XYZ sinimaa natikai maathiri iruppaa ( She looks like XYZ film actress).

When I was a school boy, little boys were introduced to elderly visitors ''paiyan appatiye siva puraanaththai oppippaan, paiyan appadiye vishnu sahasra naamaththai manappatamaa solluvaan'' (Boy can recite Siva puranam, boy can recite Vishnu Sahasranama by heart). When my youngest brother's days it changed to Boy can imitate Sivaji ganesan, Boy can repeat XYZ film dialogue. My Editor AN Sivaraman boasted that one of his sons imitated exactly an Australian Cricket commentator.

In all the above examples, as long as you appreciate good values behind personalities it is fine. People can change but values like beauty of a girl, memorizing power of a boy is always appreciated ; it is OK.

In Tamil there is a saying: Thalaivanai Nambathe, Thaththuvaththai Nambu ( Dont belive the leader, but believe the principle.

It is same with film actors. As long as Rajini or Sivaji or MGR stands for something good in life it is fine. But it is not worshiping, it is appreciating.

Values portrayed by film actors show/project them as real life heroes. In reality, they are very week in character.

If anyone really worships ( I have heard it is happening in Annadurai Samadhi), that is sheer ignorance.
Even in Lenin Samadhi in Russia, Gandhi Samadhi in Delhi , here in Tamil Nadu, Periyar samadhi, MGR Anna, Samadhis spend crores of rupees for their maintenance. Russia dismantled Stalin's Samadhi slowly.

This Samadhi maintenance also falls under the category of ''worship''.

Dear London Ji,

See this song...Rajini Is God worshipped by King Khan!

[video=youtube_share;2kWLyInyjOE]http://youtu.be/2kWLyInyjOE[/video]

Hey ....
Worshiping cine stars is because of blind following. The Kali Yugam makes people do foolish things. This is one of them. Any thing when done by a cine star, moves the viewers perception and hence his appeals to his emotional state. This works just like addiction. Once you catch the craze, you go to the extreme.... And in a mass platform like theater it is more probable because the crowd is of like minded people and this increases the craze. This is my thoughts on this.

Manikandan.S

Mr. LSji,
You can start a thread Why do Hindus Worship .......? Just substitute any word for the dashed.
Hindus worship every creation. But for you it is the post count.

Yama is the the guru of Nachiketu who taught him about the self and the life after death (Katha Upanishad).
Nachiketa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As righttly stated, we pray both Lord Yama and Chitragupta and we have shrines for them. Have given the details below

There is a separate shrine for Yama in Srivanchiyam Shiva Temple. In Shiva temples, usually Vinayagar is the first deity to be workshipped but here Yama is first workshipped before Vinayagar.
yama temple » Temples of Tamilnadu

There is a separate shrine for Chitragupta in Kancheepuram near bus stand.

I find it a bit contradicting too at times cos at one end of the spectrum we Hindus worship the God of Death (Yama) but at the other end of the spectrum we say "Chandrasekharamashraye Mama Kim Karishyati Vai Yamaha"(meaning ..when I have surrender unto Chandrasekhara..what can Yama do to me?")

So you see we Hindus tend to contradict ourselves many a times....and that is the best part of being a Hindu..anything and everything is acceptable...it is even better than democracy..but sadly people want to make Hinduism an autocracy.

Renuka you are right. We have one of the Nayanmars declaring நாள் என் செயும், எமை நாடி வந்த கோள் என் செயும், கொடுங்கூற்றுதான் என் செயும் ..............

Honestly I dont find any contradiction there. People like Arunagirinathar who said நாள் என் செயும், எமை நாடி வந்த கோள் என் செயும், கொடுங்கூற்றுதான் என் செயும் ..............and Bharathyar who said, Oh, Kala come near me, I will stamp on you like grass (kaala en kaal aruke vaadaa, unnai siru pul ena mithikiren) are at higher level. What they mean is people who worship God need not fear death ( I have also said it in the context of Kolaru pathikam of Sambandhar). But worshipping Yama on daily basis reminds us the impermanence of life and take us slowly to the level of Arunagirinathar or Bharthiyar. The world today remembers both of them for their Yogic qualities and rhythmic language.

T_500_740.jpg

This Dharmaraja Temple is in Tiruchittrambalam, in Tanjavur District besides
one famous Temple at Srivanjiyam in Tiruvarur District in South India. In both places
Ema Theertham are available. Some people visit Thirukadaiyur to get relief
from the troubles of Yama and for relief from diseases, etc. This temple is
a very old one, may be around 1000 years or so.

Mainly the prayer is chanted for long life. Lord Dharmaraj, being a person of justice,
it is believed that people who have lost their things come to Thiruchitrambalam and
write in a piece of paper and place it at the trishulam in the temple and positive result is obtained. Some say the lost property or material is gained within a short period.
One can attend the puja during the time of Ema Kandam, Mrithyunjaya Homam
is performed in the temple on Saturdays. It is also mentioned that Saturn being
the authority for longevity according to astrology, the special puja is conducted
on all Saturdays.

As regards Srivanjiyam, people who die in that place, do not have any troubles
from Yama Dharamaraja. It is equally powerful like Kashi.

Balasubramanian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back