• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why do Hindus worship Moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
supermoon-may-2012-tim-mccord.jpg

Ancient Indian beliefs and Latest Science News about Moon

Hindus are very keen observers of nature. Ancient Sanskrit and Tamil literature is full of similes about moon. They know the effect of moon on the sea water. The poets seem to have more attracted to the moon than the sun.

1. Ancient Tamils worshipped the crescent moon on the third day (Kuruntokai verse 170). Tamil epic Silappadikaram has a prayer for sun and moon. The moon on the eighth day is compared to forehead of the heroine. The lunar eclipse is employed in similes similar to Sanskrit literature. The spots on the moon resemble a Hare in Tamil and Sanskrit literature. They have seen the rising waves on full moon days (Natrinai 375).

2.Brahmins don’t go to Veda class on Full Moon, New Moon days. The next day Prathamai, previous day chathurdasi and Ashtami days are also a holiday for them.
3.Buddhists observe ‘’uposad’’ (Upavasa=fasting) days on Full moon, New Moon and following eighth day ‘Ashtami’ like Brahmins (Maha Vamsam 1-47).

4.There is a belief among Hindus that the fourth day ( Chathurthy after New moon ) crescent moon should not be seen. But one particular Fourth Day/Chathurthy after new moon is celebrated on a very big scale throughout the country as GANESH CHATHURTHY day.

The Chathurthy/ fourth day after full moon is observed as Sankata hara chathurthy. Sankata hara means destroying difficulties. This means Lord Ganesh is in charge of giving or eliminating difficulties. On Sankata hara Chathurthy day, Hindus break their day long fast after seeing the crescent moon in the evening. Sankata Hara Chathurthy falls on the fourth day after every Full Moon day.
5.Soma rasam

In the Vedas, Garuda is generally associated with god Savitar on whose command he brought soma from the moon (Rg Veda III.43.7, VII.26.6 etc.; also pracina sarita kosa pp182-183).The oft repeated story that Garuda stole the nectar from the gods with a view to seek the release of his mother Vinata from the slavehood of Kadru, as met in the epics and Puranas seems to be an amplification of this legend.

Modern science says that sun light is very important for plants. All plants need sun light for photosynthesis. But for some reason Hindus linked plant growth with moon light. Science has not acknowledged it yet. Soma rasam means two things: Juice of Soma plant and Moon Light. This is important for plant growth according to Hindu scriptures. Adi Sankara’s ‘Viveka Chudamani’ also says that moon supports the plants on earth. How? We don’t know yet.

stars-and-moon.jpg

Ancient Tamil Hindus worshiped crescent moon; modern Hindus worship it on Sankata Hara Chathurthy day every month.

Tamil Weddings on Full Moon Days with Rohini Star

6.Moon’s association with a particular star Rohini (aldebaran) is the basis of a mythological story. This says moon favoured one star among his 27 wives. In Hindu scriptures Moon is masculine and stars are feminine. Ancient Tamils celebrated their weddings on full moon day when it is with Rohini star (sakatam in Tamil- Akam verses 86 and 136). Hindu calendar (panchang) says it is good to sow the seeds on Rohini star day. Science may one day prove the connection between Rohini day and plants growth.

7.Moon’s effect on body and mind is known to ancient people. We got the English word lunatic from moon for Luna. This is in Yajur Veda as well. Purusha sukta mantram links eye with sun and mind with moon. (Chandra ma manaso Jataka, chakshor suryo ajayatha).
8. All the major Hindu festivals are held on Full Moon days. One of the reasons may be that there was no electric lights in those days and so it was convenient to hold them on Full Moon days with natural light during the night.

9. Indian horoscopes pay much importance to moon. The beliefs about moon are common from southernmost tip to the northern most part of India with minor variations. The common belief of Hindus about moon is one more nail in the coffin of Aryan Dravidian absurdity. Western ‘’scholars’’ may try to escape by saying that they are derived from a common source. We know their double standards .

10.Belief about lunar eclipse is also same throughout the country. Snake headed planet Rahu devours the moon and releases it is the story in Tamil and Sanskrit. Though they knew it was the shadow of earth that causes the eclipse, they created the story for laymen.

ny-moon.jpg

Picture shows Full Moon over New York City.

11. Tamils used the word ‘Nilam’ for earth and ‘Nilavu’ for moon meaning that moon came from earth. Origin of moon is shrouded in mystery. One of the theories is that it may have thrown out from Pacific area when a comet or asteroid approached earth. If it is true Tamils naming becomes more meaningful. It may not be a coincidence. You can fit moon into Pacific Ocean.

12. Crescent moon is an important symbol in Hinduism. All their major gods and goddesses have the crescent moon on their heads.

Every month we read some science news items about moon which prove ancient’ beliefs are right.

Moon and Latest Science Reports from News papers

Bad Moon Rising (Metro News paper, London, July 26, 2013)
People often complain a full moon disrupts their sleep—and it could be true. Despite modern comforts, lunar cycles still alter our brain activity. Swiss researchers found hormones which regulate our sleep drop during a full moon, giving us 20 minutes less in the land of nod.
(My comment: So Hindus belief about moon has some science basis. We are not allowed to sleep on terrace under full moon.)

Labour coincided with big full moon ( Metro News Paper, July 23, 2013)
A bright big moon shone over London the night before Princess Kate went into labour and it was in full glory as she cradles the newest royal in her arms last night. As many mid wives will attest, the full moon does seem to get nature working overtime. Many mothers- to- be will have seen posters showing the lunar calendar at their birthing centres. The suggestion is that the moon’s gravitational pull affects the amniotic fluid in the same way it affects the water in the sea.

Mervie Jokinen, of the Royal College of Mid Wives, said: It’s always sort of been an old wives’ tale saying that the full moon brings women into labour. But midwives usually do say, I am on call, it is full moon. I will be busy tonight’’. But there is not enough scientific evidence to show it is proven’. May be, it was just a case of Baby Mean Time.

(My comment: If it can affect the amniotic fluid in a woman’s body and sea water, it can have some effect on pants as well. On Full Moon days millions of Crabs migrate in Pacific islands. Millions of corals release their eggs as well.)

Moon effect (Metro News paper, London, Aug. 3, 2005)

Never mind flesh munching werewolves, what full moons really bring out are bugs on beaches. So do new moons for that matter. The level of bacteria in water varies with the lunar cycle and highest during a full and new moon, a study of California beaches found. Spring tides which occur during full or new moon, are twice as likely to contain unacceptable levels of bacteria. It is hoped the findings will help bathers chose the safest times to swim.

( My comment: Moon’s position causes lot of changes in nature. Ancient beliefs about moon effect must be studied more in depth.)

Metro News paper items are from science magazines. It summarises the news items so that lay men can easily understand them.

Please read earlier posts by London swaminathan 1.‘’ Why Do Brahmins Deserve an Entry in to Guinness Book of Records?’’ 2. ‘’Why Do Hindus worship Bells?’’ 3.‘’Why do Hindus worship Shoes?’’ 4. ‘’Why do Hindus practise Homeopathy’’? 5. Why do Hindus worship God of Death Every day? 6.HEAD TOWARDS NORTH IS WRONG + 600 articles in English and Tamil.
Pictures are taken from other sites; thanks.

Sri.LS Sir

I have a doubt, please clarify me

This is not relate to this Thread

All of us are taught since birth that "SUN rises in East & sets in West”! - So do puja etc facing east ...keep idols etc facing East ...etc etc.! - But all this is mere”Society fact" and NOT the TRUTH!

Bit if you go a little deeper and try to cognize the truth, you will agree that:

1. The SUN Never RISES nor Sets! - It is we i.e. The Planet EARTH which goes around the SUN! (Hence the”FALSE Appearance “of Rising & setting! - A big Delusion indeed!!

2. There are NO”Directions” like "EAST or WEST” at all! It is another massive Society induced Delusion!

Because All 'Directions' are "Man-made” ...born out of Social & Mental convenience.

GOD does not define any Directions. It is just a "Concept" - for our Human-level convenience in Society / Daily life.

If you can see my above 2 points ...then you will invariably agree that

“God is everywhere, so I think any direction would be auspicious to Light Deepam, Face to worship, Etc

Can you give an explanation based on your vast research please?

Thanks

Regards

P J

Last edited:
Dear P.J.

I am not a saint to answer your philosophical question. But when I read your questions with comments, I am reminded of few things. I will share them with you.

Some time ago I replied to one of you quoting what my Editor AN Sivaraman instructed us (Dinamani Sub Editor Desk) regarding the usage of Middle East, Far East, Near East etc. He told us to avoid the usage , if at all we use it we must explain what is Middle East etc. All these were coined by the English. What they meant was the direction relative to their country. But they gave us Geenwich Mean Time as well. We use it conveniently. This means we need some point on earth to understand anything clearly.

God is everywhere (omnipresent) only for philosophers and people at spiritual heights. People like me need some starting point, We know the famous episode of Avvaiyar and a Muslim saint. Both of them were asked not to stretch their feet in the direction of God. Then both of them asked to show the direction where there is no god. The person who asked her was dumbfounded. We know the famous episode of Adi Shankara meeting a low caste man.He opened the eyes of Shankara.

If some one asked me to show the beginning and end in a circle, I have to start some where. In short we dont want vagueness. We need a starting point. Even the all powerful Mohammed who spoke against Idol Worship kept one Kaba idol in Mecca for worship. In fact it was worshiped even by the Hindus before Mohammed founded Islam. If you watch Pope or Arch Bishop of Canterbury, they have more rituals than our Shankaracharya.

Kanchi Paramacharya has made a passing remark in one of his lectures: '' Do you wonder why I do these puja rituals after talking about great philosophy Advaita? This is what our Guru did. This is what we have to give our devotees''. What he meant was we need such ritual ladders to take us to the spiritual heights.

If we want order and discipline, identity and recognition we have to use protocols, uniforms, rituals. Even if it is Obama he has to lay wreaths at Gandhi Samadhi. Even if it is the Supreme court judge he has to wear the black gown. Even if you work in the stock market you have to wear suits. Even if you are son of President of India you have to wear particular school uniform. Even when I say all world is one, I have to get Visa to go to another country. Even when its come to respect for a country, I have to stand still when the National Anthem is sung.

The world functions because of order and discipline, rules and regulations. If these rituals are not there, we will lose more people. They will go to a places where there are rituals. It may be religious or secular or atheistic. People like rituals.

Regarding using certain directions for certain things: they have got scientific or hygienic reasons. Recently I posted HEAD TOWARDS NORTH IS WRONG with the latest satellite findings. Muslims face the direction of Mecca to show their identity. Two years ago I posted WHY BRITISH JUDGES FOLLOW A TAMIL KING? I argued that Karikal Choza was the king who introduced this white colour wig to the world of judiciary. We know why Karikalan wore the wig. Even today British judges wear white wigs to project them old and matured. Every ritual has a meaning.

Like a child needs mother's support till it can stand on its own feet,we all need rituals: Face East, Dont lie down with head in the North, dont face direction of Yama-- south, when you do auspicious things etc.

Dear PJ,

why go as far as the moon. way back. way way back about 30+ years ago, when the world was young and along with it moi adn mrs K, i indicated to the missus, about my concept of worship sort of paralleled the concept in pasupathinath..

and guess what sir?

the good lady, instantly redressed herself to the kitchen, and emerged for the first of a countless times, with a sturdy rolling pin, and conducted sturdy but firm exercises on the tender skull of myself, and no amount of attempt to protect myself with my few fingers, would provide relief, from an eventual and prolonged, and consistent (after that) of mounds scabs bruises which would eventually result in loss of hair and (maybe) loss of memory and related such...

all i can suggest is that suggest that you practise extreme caution when you refer such offlandish veneration to missus PJ.

with utmost fear of persecution...yours truly

K :) :) :)

pasupathinath.jpg

Last edited:
“God is everywhere, so I think any direction would be auspicious to Light Deepam, Face to worship, Etc

Can you give an explanation based on your vast research please?

Thanks

Regards

P J

Dear PJ sir,

I remember sometime back I did bring up these points in Forum citing the Narayana Upanishad where its says Directions are Narayana(disasca Narayana)..but it did not go down to well.

I also mentioned that directions can not be maintained in space and while orbiting the earth....this problem was faced by Muslim astronauts who wanted to pray while orbiting earth cos for them they have to face Kiblat while praying.

So I too believe as per you wrote that God is in every direction..after all Narayana Upanishad does say so.

Last edited:
Dear P.J.

I am not a saint to answer your philosophical question. But when I read your questions with comments, I am reminded of few things. I will share them with you.

Some time ago I replied to one of you quoting what my Editor AN Sivaraman instructed us (Dinamani Sub Editor Desk) regarding the usage of Middle East, Far East, Near East etc. He told us to avoid the usage , if at all we use it we must explain what is Middle East etc. All these were coined by the English. What they meant was the direction relative to their country. But they gave us Geenwich Mean Time as well. We use it conveniently. This means we need some point on earth to understand anything clearly.

God is everywhere (omnipresent) only for philosophers and people at spiritual heights. People like me need some starting point, We know the famous episode of Avvaiyar and a Muslim saint. Both of them were asked not to stretch their feet in the direction of God. Then both of them asked to show the direction where there is no god. The person who asked her was dumbfounded. We know the famous episode of Adi Shankara meeting a low caste man.He opened the eyes of Shankara.

If some one asked me to show the beginning and end in a circle, I have to start some where. In short we dont want vagueness. We need a starting point. Even the all powerful Mohammed who spoke against Idol Worship kept one Kaba idol in Mecca for worship. In fact it was worshiped even by the Hindus before Mohammed founded Islam. If you watch Pope or Arch Bishop of Canterbury, they have more rituals than our Shankaracharya.

Kanchi Paramacharya has made a passing remark in one of his lectures: '' Do you wonder why I do these puja rituals after talking about great philosophy Advaita? This is what our Guru did. This is what we have to give our devotees''. What he meant was we need such ritual ladders to take us to the spiritual heights.

If we want order and discipline, identity and recognition we have to use protocols, uniforms, rituals. Even if it is Obama he has to lay wreaths at Gandhi Samadhi. Even if it is the Supreme court judge he has to wear the black gown. Even if you work in the stock market you have to wear suits. Even if you are son of President of India you have to wear particular school uniform. Even when I say all world is one, I have to get Visa to go to another country. Even when its come to respect for a country, I have to stand still when the National Anthem is sung.

The world functions because of order and discipline, rules and regulations. If these rituals are not there, we will lose more people. They will go to a places where there are rituals. It may be religious or secular or atheistic. People like rituals.

Regarding using certain directions for certain things: they have got scientific or hygienic reasons. Recently I posted HEAD TOWARDS NORTH IS WRONG with the latest satellite findings. Muslims face the direction of Mecca to show their identity. Two years ago I posted WHY BRITISH JUDGES FOLLOW A TAMIL KING? I argued that Karikal Choza was the king who introduced this white colour wig to the world of judiciary. We know why Karikalan wore the wig. Even today British judges wear white wigs to project them old and matured. Every ritual has a meaning.

Like a child needs mother's support till it can stand on its own feet,we all need rituals: Face East, Dont lie down with head in the North, dont face direction of Yama-- south, when you do auspicious things etc.

Dear London Ji,

Where is your answer to the question asked by PJ sir???

Dear PJ,

why go as far as the moon. way back. way way back about 30+ years ago, when the world was young and along with it moi adn mrs K, i indicated to the missus, about my concept of worship sort of paralleled the concept in pasupathinath..

and guess what sir?

the good lady, instantly redressed herself to the kitchen, and emerged for the first of a countless times, with a sturdy rolling pin, and conducted sturdy but firm exercises on the tender skull of myself, and no amount of attempt to protect myself with my few fingers, would provide relief, from an eventual and prolonged, and consistent (after that) of mounds scabs bruises which would eventually result in loss of hair and (maybe) loss of memory and related such...

all i can suggest is that suggest that you practise extreme caution when you refer such offlandish veneration to missus PJ.

with utmost fear of persecution...yours truly

K :) :) :)

View attachment 2960

Dear Kunjuppu

My doubt is not about Moon worship, I think you mis understood my post.

It is about imaginary Directions like East/West/North and South as they are man made.

LS Sir has cleared my doubt partially, still i am yest find an answer for why Deppam, Temple Deity should face East?

Dear Kunjuppu

My doubt is not about Moon worship, I think you mis understood my post.

It is about imaginary Directions like East/West/North and South as they are man made.

LS Sir has cleared my doubt partially, still i am yest find an answer for why Deppam, Temple Deity should face East?

Dear PJ sir,

I will give you a simple explanation...most Hindu practices have a scientific explanation.

The apparent East is the direction the Sun "Rises"..Ok Sun has disinfecting properties and Sunshine early in the morning will render the place clean to a certain extent.
Sunshine in the early morning also has very less UV rays compared to sunshine on any other time of the day.

Also the Sun is a source of Prana and light..so it is only natural that anything faced east.

Many people buy houses facing east cos they want the sunshine to come in to their houses in the morning..and the rising sun rays are pleasant and not too hot....houses facing west are not favored cos the setting sun coming in to the house makes the house hot.

I chose a house facing North/South so that sunshine does not touch it in morning or evening and hence my house is relatively cooler compared to houses that face east or west.

Last edited:
P.J. and Renuka

I am sorry I have disappointed both of you. I cant think deeper when I am writing for blogs. I will make another attempt when I have time.

P.J. and Renuka

I am sorry I have disappointed both of you. I cant think deeper when I am writing for blogs. I will make another attempt when I have time.

Sri.LS Sir

Your answer is very logical; the point came up for discussion when my grandson asked me a simple question; When Directions were created by men what difference does it make to light Swamy Deepan facing East or West?

Hope you understood my point.

Thanks for your well thought out answer.

Recently, I had been to a Josier to have pariharm for
Chandra Dasa. He was giving an explanation about the
significance and he was mentioning Moon prayer is more
vital than Sun prayer. His emphasis was the importance
of chandra graham in a horoscope, controls five senses
of a person. He amplified to state that moon is the ruler
of the mind and in the process, senses are controlled by
the mind. With the Chandra darisanam, one can do a
prayer commencing from a Monday i.e. Valar Pirai. He has
given a slip with the following mantra to be chanted facing
north west direction.

Aum Shraam Shreem Shroum Sah Chandraaaya Namaha

He gave a Rudraksha Mala of 18 beads for performing Japam
and also suggested a fast on Mondays. People who are
old and not able to observe fast due to health conditions,
can take a meal only once in a day without adding rice & salt.
Later in the evening, the person who does pariharam, can
do abishegam at home or offer milk added with sugar to Lord
Shiva, to be performed on Mondays.

Balasubramanian

Somebody today morning asked me why we should place particular finger at particular part of our body spelling particular name of god while doing Aachamanam/Sandhyavandanam? why not at my will? I only told him it is one and the same god who is there and all over the body and all over everywhere. I told him but if we follow a particular rule/system or practice we will be straight and at peace in doing it. Suppose, for instance we have to cross a very busy road, if we look at left and right and cross we could be at the other side of the road safely. Suppose if we are not disciplined in thinking and are confused, there is cause for accident or slip. Disciplined methods do not take more time than the undisciplined.

Last edited:
Of course, the Sun or Moon does not rise or set. When we do not see the Sun from the plane of earth, it becomes dark, when we cannot do anything without the help of artificial light. If you are on an open field at the break of dawn, you will see that actually the Sun is "rising". It was taken as a point of direction day after day for time-managing things/programmes/works. Discipline has its merits. Man should rise with the lark and retire at dusk like birds. Tigers, Bats and mosquitoes have their own practice perhaps not to confound man, but it is convenient for them to kill/harass at their will freely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back