• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why are we here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meditation

Dear Sir,

No problem. But a calm and composed mind can help the individual to master the subject easily. The materilism may be the end goal, but a calm and contended mind will make the individual to be satisfied with what one have instead of running after things. In spiritulism, the individual may realise
running after things leads to no where as the mind will not be satisfied with the achievements, but will be seeking more and more and there is no end.
But spiritualism makes one satisfied and enjoy inner happiness. Sanathana
Dharma does not say one have to sacrifice everything, but be contend with what one have.

Rgds,
Mohan

Sri.Mohan Parasuram Sir,

Greetings. With due respect to your comment, I feel, the method of learning differes based on the subject. While meditating in silence to keep the mind is quiet, such meditation may not help if one desires to learn a particular subject like science or maths. I think we are comparing apples to oranges. I was talking more about learning 'materilistic' subjects for which lectures and discussions are beneficial. I was not talking about spirituality at all. As one may observe from my messages, I don't even have any 'ஸ்நான ப்ராப்தி' with sprituality. So, kindly don't mistake me, please.

Cheers!

Dear Mr. R.R,
The number of Tamil posts will not be reduced.
But the Tamil translation will be followed by an additional English translation.
They are two different things! Am I correct??
with best wishes,
V.R.

Folks,

Regarding Tamil versus English (or any other language as I have seen Hindi and Sanskrit used here as well), we had a somewhat heated discussion on this topic, that I think Professor Nara Ji perhaps remembers.

Because the posts here (especially the Tamil ones are very erudite and posted with scholarship) are read by all, and since we have a few who can not read/understand Tamil, because of where we grew up (even though we may call ourselves TamBrahms), we have agreed in the past that if possible the posters provide a general translation in English for the benefit of all that would be greatly contributing to the discussions.

Now some I know, still hold the view that they would post in Tamil only as they think that anyone calling themselves as TamBrahms ought to learn Tamil. Personally I think that a language is for communicating first. But then that is my view.

Regards,
KRS

@ VR mam,
I totally agree with you mam there. Actually there are a few non tamils also like Rcwcw, one telugu brah, and there might be others too. so translation would be the right way to go also tamil one. But it would require extra effort on the part of person.
That's the way to go about. Even central Govt tries this. Hindi they use everywhere also in bottom english.

Actually using sanskrit also not a good option unless english meaning given below. I had time pass with sanskrit till 9th and all I did was memorise without remembering. Now I hardly know sanskrit. Sad that they view sanskrit as a scoring subjec.Infact once I posted vishnu mantra in a post and one member asked me to post in roman or tamil script coz he didn't know the script. So english is imp.

Last edited:
@ KRS jee
sir i agree if one call him a tambra he ought to know tamil totally. But there are many like me. There are hardly any good tamil schools. There is no need for us to go back to TN and neither we can since no govt jobs some coz of reservations and coz u must have studied tamil at 12th. Only we can get private sector job back there. But in north salary structure is much better.
Most tamils who were born and brought up in north didn't know tamil read and write barring a few. As they grew up, they became mature and started learning.
But its not that easy. Now should I prepare for exams or go to jobs or learn tamil. Its not my priority rite now. Anyhow now I'm just 23 and slowly I will take steps towards it.
There is no tamil newspaper here only tamil channels and no books etc. But I'm determined. Sometimes I feel that tamils living in TN need to be more aware of Tamils living outside and their way of living. eVERy thing is same only extra language is added. Infact most of relatives son's and duaghters esp young boys speak only in hindi although they know tamil. Read and write is out of question unless parent teach them.

INTERNET VAZHGA.

Last edited:
Dear Mr. K.R.S. and Mr. R.R,

I will start giving the brief meanings of my poems starting with today's poem # 78, in English.

After the series is completed I will go back to #1 and go on till #77@ one per day.

I really wish that some one had told me this, on the day my poem #1 was posted in the Forum.

Well, better late than never :)

Those of you who have read the original poem may skip the English translation.

with regards and best wishes,
V.R.

:cool:

Dear Mr. K.R.S. and Mr. R.R,

I will start giving the brief meanings of my poems starting with today's poem # 78, in English.

After the series is completed I will go back to #1 and go on till #77@ one per day.

I really wish that some one had told me this, on the day my poem #1 was posted in the Forum.

Well, better late than never :)

Those of you who have read the original poem may skip the English translation.

with regards and best wishes,
V.R.

:cool:

....Regarding Tamil versus English (or any other language as I have seen Hindi and Sanskrit used here as well), we had a somewhat heated discussion on this topic, that I think Professor Nara Ji perhaps remembers.
Dear Shri KRS, I don't disagree that we must refrain from posting, just for the sake of it, Tamil-only responses. My point is, from what I have seen so far, Tamil only posts are rare, or so esoteric they do not attract much attention anyway.

I invite Ramanujan to list the threads/posts that he fears will be of interest to members unable to read Tamil, but are interesting enough that they would participate if they were in English. Let us get some hard data and see how serious this problem is. If this is indeed a problem, then, one possible solution without banning all Tamil posts is to create a section in the forum where all Tamil posts can be sequestered.

Cheers!

p.s. Shri KRS, I wanted to respond to your post on Satyam and Vaymai, but the thread is closed, I don't know why. I don't want to create another thread just for responding to you as that would annul the reason why that thread was closed.

@ Nara ji
Sir I'm saying that if in long run you keep using tamil then those who don't know tamil will feel left out. They would be disinterested in continuing.
For example I joined sikhsangat.com to know about sikh culture but later I found that many use gurmukhi and later I stopped going altogether. (Obviously I can't say to them that don't use gurmukhi)

So far I have been confining myself to jokes, general, chit chat, only but I will venture to tamil posts.
Sir personally I don't want tamil banned. Infact I know some members would be disappointed if that happens. I don't have the statistics but I have analytical ability to back what I'm saying.

....Sir I'm saying that if in long run you keep using tamil then those who don't know tamil will feel left out. They would be disinterested in continuing.

Ramanujan, please take a few minutes, go through the posts in the last two days and count the number of posts that are only in Tamil. Compare that against the posts that are in English and tell me whether your fear that in the long run members who can't read Tamil will discontinue is justified.

but I have analytical ability to back what I'm saying.
Good, then you should have no difficulty fulfilling my request.

Cheers!

Dear Srimathi Visalakshi Ramani Ji,

We have never curtailed any postings in Tamil only, till some folks got up on a tree and started saying that ALL postings must be only in Tamil. So, naturally we had to make a stand and gave out the guidelines I have outlined above.

Even then some insisted on posting in Tamil only and because we did not agree with their intent, those postings were deleted at that time.

I do not think that you need to expend any more effort to translate any of your previous posts. I gave my comments, based on this issue being raised again.

Dear Sri R. Ramanujan Ji,

My comments convey the same meaning that yours do. Tamil is a difficult language to learn and I would just ask all the posters to keep in mind that we have readership that includes folks who do not know Tamil.

Dear Professor Nara Ji,

Yes, the number of folks not understanding Tamil may be minuscule, but for them it would be nice to have a way to understand what is posted, however esoteric it may be. Since we are all discussing amicably how to deal with this, I will leave it up to you all to decide for yourselves how to act.

Regards,
KRS

Folks,

Regarding Tamil versus English (or any other language as I have seen Hindi and Sanskrit used here as well), we had a somewhat heated discussion on this topic, that I think Professor Nara Ji perhaps remembers.

Because the posts here (especially the Tamil ones are very erudite and posted with scholarship) are read by all, and since we have a few who can not read/understand Tamil, because of where we grew up (even though we may call ourselves TamBrahms), we have agreed in the past that if possible the posters provide a general translation in English for the benefit of all that would be greatly contributing to the discussions.

Now some I know, still hold the view that they would post in Tamil only as they think that anyone calling themselves as TamBrahms ought to learn Tamil. Personally I think that a language is for communicating first. But then that is my view.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri KRS,

Yes, this discussion "Tamil versus English" crops up on regular intervals in Tamil Brahmins Forum. Many a time it leads to unnecessary arguments and friction. I do not understand the purpose of such arguments. As you have rightly said language is for communicating with others and we are here to exchange our views on subjects relating to our community first followed by others of general interest. It is prudent to leave the choice of language to the comfort of the participants. Of course if some one wants to show their literary talent in தமிழ் or English as a subject we should welcome the same and enjoy.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

I found some language quotes-

A language is an exact reflection of the character and growth of its speakers.
-Mahatma Gandhi.

If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. We all need, constantly, an advance of trust and affirmation.
-Bernard Haring

All you need is to understand what the speaker is saying.
-Mahatma Gandhi.

Dear Sri Brahmanyan Sir,

As always, thank you for your balanced perspective.
Regards,
KRS
Dear Sri KRS,

Yes, this discussion "Tamil versus English" crops up on regular intervals in Tamil Brahmins Forum. Many a time it leads to unnecessary arguments and friction. I do not understand the purpose of such arguments. As you have rightly said language is for communicating with others and we are here to exchange our views on subjects relating to our community first followed by others of general interest. It is prudent to leave the choice of language to the comfort of the participants. Of course if some one wants to show their literary talent in தமிழ் or English as a subject we should welcome the same and enjoy.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Mr. K. R. S,

Thank you for your reply. I have no problem with either English or Tamil. If I had known earlier I would have published the posts bilingual from the very beginning.

But there are certain finer details, puns, ethugai, monai which will get lost in a translation- unless I sit and spend the same amount of time to recompose the whole poem in English.

As they say 'some thing is better than nothing'. So the persons with language barriers can at least learn the essence of the post rather than miss the whole thing.

I do not want to stand between the 'seekers' and 'the sought'

I will be posting the translations of the 77 poems which have appeared in 'A poem a day" and the 40 others which have appeared in other headings at the earliest.

The new posts of poems will be accompanied by the English translations.

We write so that people will read. So I have no liberty to bar the door and deny entry to our brothers and sisters from other states.

Thank you,
with warm regards,
Visalakshi Ramani.

Dear friends,

I read this thread only today and wonder how so much of controversies are going on.....

Those who are capable of writing in Tamil can post only in Tamil!

This site is meant for all brahmins and so the general discussions should be in English to enable everyone to understand.

What is the problem if we post 'Kavithai's in our mother tongue, in the literature section?

Why 'limited' Tamil only should be allowed?

If Tamils do not help growth of Tamil, who else will do that?

Regards,
Raji Ram

Dear Sowbhagyavathi Raji Ram Ji,

Please understand our guidelines:

No one is prohibiting ANYONE to post ONLY in TAMIL, as long as they choose to do so for any literary or knowledge purposes. The issue comes in only when some folks insist on writing only in Tamil for ideological reasons based on linguistic concerns.

Above, I have said:
Dear Professor Nara Ji,

Yes, the number of folks not understanding Tamil may be minuscule, but for them it would be nice to have a way to understand what is posted, however esoteric it may be. Since we are all discussing amicably how to deal with this, I will leave it up to you all to decide for yourselves how to act.

This makes it clear our position.

I think this is enough of discussion on this issue, as I think that everyone understands the Moderators' position. Any further dialog on this issue will be deleted. If you have any concerns about the guideline, please drop me a PM. Thanks.

Regards,
KRS

Oops I think I missed this post. No problem I will give my all Important feedback now. Better late than never.

The English and Tamil typed in English script sends occasional shivers down my spine.

I also have a back problem. ha ha.

Can we translate the sentence
"Honey moon became a Sani moon" in English, without losing its beauty?

I agree we can't translate it. ha ha. My stomach is aching with laughter.

Typed words like 'frend' , 'wud' and 'cos' slap me on my face!

I can hear the sattam of the slap. ha ha ha.

Just for fun.

No one is prohibiting ANYONE to post ONLY in TAMIL, as long as they choose to do so for any literary or knowledge purposes. The issue comes in only when some folks insist on writing only in Tamil for ideological reasons based on linguistic concerns.

Ok Ok sir.

To R.R sir, You are drag me in your reply 105 in this topic. 1 I am a Tamil Palghat Brahamin by Birth. I am not against the Mother Tonge,and never opposted the postings in Tamil. 2 I am a resercher in 18 siddhers poems regarding sound and light. Stop your unwanted comments. s.r.k.

Why are we here? Only the fittest survive due to natural selection.
We are here due to the will of Parabrahman, God. Natural selection, survival of the fittest are also due to His innate Power and Will. He also Wills that all Beings, being part of Him will attain Self-realisation or Moksha definitely at some stage, which may be sperm or ovum stage or after millions of births across, depending upon accumulated karmas getting exhausted!

To R.R sir, You are drag me in your reply 105 in this topic. 1 I am a Tamil Palghat Brahamin by Birth. I am not against the Mother Tonge,and never opposted the postings in Tamil. 2 I am a resercher in 18 siddhers poems regarding sound and light. Stop your unwanted comments. s.r.k.

I thought you were a sikh. Anyways I apologize for including you. My mistake.
Boss I'm not a against tamil. How many times should I clarify this. I only say where ever possible give translation in english.
I'm not anti tamil. I'm not anti tamil.I'm not anti tamil.I'm not anti tamil.\
I'm myself iyengaar belonging to vadakalai sect.
My father have been living in Delhi since 1960s. My mother's home town is Kumbakonam but due to peculiar situations I don't know tamil. THERE ARE MANY LIKE ME. I REPEAT.

Last edited:
@ [email protected]

Sikh is a short name, earlier they were called DEV only(Guru Nanak Dev, Guru Arjun Dev etc) but their 10th Guru Govind (Gobind) told to called as Singh means the LION. Guru Govind Singh praised Lord Vishnu by 10.000, names, Once they are Hindus and 9th guru Takbahdurji. Sacrifices his life by giving his head for the sake of Kashmiri Pandits. Only Indira Gandhi foolish plays made the Sikhs mind that they are not with in the fold of Hindu. even I am following the path with my master is a Sikh and every day singing shabads. The Guru Granth Sahib is adapted all kind of poems,from Kabir, Meera, Farid,Tulsi das etc.,

I have edited #105. I was tricked by this. I admit I should have checked with you before including your name. But trust me friend my mistake was not intentional. I myself plan to do research in Vedic Philosophy and upanishads and various Hindu Scriptures. Tk Cr.

@ everybody
எனக்கு தமிழ் தெரியும் ஆனால் கொஞ்சம் தான் தெரியும் |
நா எல்லார்கிட்டயும் இன்னும் ஒரு முறை சொல்கிறேன் that I'm not anti tamil.
Understand there are as per me 15 lakh tamil in Delhi NCR. There are so many in other north Indian states. The younger lot doesn't know tamil read and write at least majority.
ஒரே ஒரு சின்ன விண்ணப்பம் | இந்தியாவில்
வடக்கு பக்கம் இருக்கின்ற தமிழ் மக்களோடைய நிலைமை பற்றியும் கொஞ்சம் யோசிங்க |
Here I'm stressing on two words-பொறந்தது வளந்தது | The culture here is essentially different from that in TN. Many come here from TN and are shocked, some go back refusing to adapt and adjust. In the previous place we used to live in, there were a newly married couple who came from Chennai. They came to know that we too were tamils. So they asked help regarding tamil stores. They didn't know even a word of hindi. And you can't expect shop keepers, Rickshaw pullers, and electricians or Society Guard to speak in english.
Also there are others who come from Chennai esp software professional to work in Gurgaon and Noida to work in Booming BPO sector. They know perfect tamil.

வேற ஒன்னும் தேவை இல்லை |

படிகர்த்துக்கு நன்றி தெரிவித்து கொள்கிறேன் |

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back