• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

what meditation you all do daily?

hey, just want to know what meditation you all do daily and how it helped you all and can share with me. I am trying many meditation but I'm just beginner.

I want to maintain celibacy but very hard to keep lust out of view. any meditative steps you want to share?

Lust is needed for continuation of species.
So its a vital function of anything that is animated.
Celibacy isn't a virtue...Celibacy is a crime to the human body.
The body has its functions..once one is old..they are no more ever green and chances of getting any action diminishes and one become relatively celibate..so if you are still young..no need to impose rules on yourself..cos when you get older you would be automatically celibate due to andropause.

Somehow its only the human that seeks meditation as an act rather than a state.
Animals exist in a state of instinct based duty...thats the secret to actual meditation...to just do our duty and be in the present and not dwell in the past or worry too much about the future(easier said than done)
Meditation isnt just sitting cross legged/Kundalini/ etc for 20 mins then after that all hell breaks lose and one still claims to be Sahasrara chakra and beyond.

Meditation is just a rage these days..to be in..to be the "cool kids" round the meditative block..Zen,Ultra Zen, various techniques do not change anyone as they imagine themselves to be..so dont worry..just live happily.

Lust is needed for continuation of species.
So its a vital function of anything that is animated.
Celibacy isn't a virtue...Celibacy is a crime to the human body.
The body has its functions..once one is old..they are no more ever green and chances of getting any action diminishes and one become relatively celibate..so if you are still young..no need to impose rules on yourself..cos when you get older you would be automatically celibate due to andropause.

Somehow its only the human that seeks meditation as an act rather than a state.
Animals exist in a state of instinct based duty...thats the secret to actual meditation...to just do our duty and be in the present and not dwell in the past or worry too much about the future(easier said than done)
Meditation isnt just sitting cross legged/Kundalini/ etc for 20 mins then after that all hell breaks lose and one still claims to be Sahasrara chakra and beyond.

Meditation is just a rage these days..to be in..to be the "cool kids" round the meditative block..Zen,Ultra Zen, various techniques do not change anyone as they imagine themselves to be..so dont worry..just live happily.
Doctor,
I appreciate your very well written post.
Like all living beings human life is also for propogation and protection of its species. All actions from birth to death aims at these two functions only.
Celibacy is the denial of hunger for propagation of our species. Followers of Vedic dictates understood the functions of life on earth and devised "four Ashramas, four age-based life stages.The four ashramas are: Brahmacharya (student), Grihastha (householder), Vanaprastha (retired) and Sannyasa (renunciate). The Ashrama system is one facet of the Dharma concept in Hinduism".
Kama a Purushartha.
Purushartha is a Sanskrit word that can be translated as the "object of human pursuit” or “goals of man.” The term is derived from the Sanskrit, purusha, meaning "person," and artha, meaning "purpose."
This is an important term in Hinduism and relates to the four ideal aims a person should pursuit. The four purusharthas are considered to be the following: dharma (moral duty), artha (economic prosperity), kama (love or pleasure) and moksha (spiritual liberation).

I wish to repeat the Sanskrit saying again:
आहार निद्रा भय मैथुनं च सामान्यमेतत् पशुभिर्नराणाम् ।
धर्मो हि तेषामधिको विशेष: धर्मेण हीनाः पशुभिः समानाः ॥

Eating, sleeping, fear and act of propagating, these habits are common between human beings and animals. It is Dharma ( Here Dharma represent Knowledge not different religion / Right conduct) which is important quality of human beings, without which he is same as an animal."

Dharma is a concept of central importance in Indian philosophy and religion. It has multiple meanings in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. It is difficult to provide a single concise definition for "dharma".There is no equivalent single-word synonym for dharma in western languages.

In simple words Meditation or Dhyana is the form of self enquiry, to search for an answer for our birth. There is no specific prescribed method. Sage of Tiruvannamalai devised his own method of self enquiry, by simply asking the question "who am I". Of course each one of them will give different method adopted by them. This enquiry is going on since ages, by followers of different Religions.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Doctor,
I appreciate your very well written post.
Like all living beings human life is also for propogation and protection of its species. All actions from birth to death aims at these two functions only.
Celibacy is the denial of hunger for propagation of our species. Followers of Vedic dictates understood the functions of life on earth and devised "four Ashramas, four age-based life stages.The four ashramas are: Brahmacharya (student), Grihastha (householder), Vanaprastha (retired) and Sannyasa (renunciate). The Ashrama system is one facet of the Dharma concept in Hinduism".
Kama a Purushartha.
Purushartha is a Sanskrit word that can be translated as the "object of human pursuit” or “goals of man.” The term is derived from the Sanskrit, purusha, meaning "person," and artha, meaning "purpose."
This is an important term in Hinduism and relates to the four ideal aims a person should pursuit. The four purusharthas are considered to be the following: dharma (moral duty), artha (economic prosperity), kama (love or pleasure) and moksha (spiritual liberation).

I wish to repeat the Sanskrit saying again:
आहार निद्रा भय मैथुनं च सामान्यमेतत् पशुभिर्नराणाम् ।
धर्मो हि तेषामधिको विशेष: धर्मेण हीनाः पशुभिः समानाः ॥

Eating, sleeping, fear and act of propagating, these habits are common between human beings and animals. It is Dharma ( Here Dharma represent Knowledge not different religion / Right conduct) which is important quality of human beings, without which he is same as an animal."

Dharma is a concept of central importance in Indian philosophy and religion. It has multiple meanings in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. It is difficult to provide a single concise definition for "dharma".There is no equivalent single-word synonym for dharma in western languages.

In simple words Meditation or Dhyana is the form of self enquiry, to search for an answer for our birth. There is no specific prescribed method. Sage of Tiruvannamalai devised his own method of self enquiry, by simply asking the question "who am I". Of course each one of them will give different method adopted by them. This enquiry is going on since ages, by followers of different Religions.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Thank you Sir for lovely reply.

Dear Brahamanyan Ji,

Coming to the word Dharma, English has no single equivalent but Arabic comes close..
In Arabic there is a word called Deen.

Deen can have multiple meanings but mostly it means:

1)The system of life
2)Judgment
and both The system of Life and Judgment is in accordance with Divine Law, Knowledge,character,deeds,faith and an encompassing beliefs.

Dharma too is the Law of Being/System of Life and to some extent "Judgment" becos we reap what we sow

Dharma is the moral duty that each person has to perform in this life, in accordance with the divine law of goodness and righteousness. This is to ensure he or she does not fall into bad habits, and end up in hell in this lifetime or the next !

Dharma is the core tenet of all religions of the east. Karma (good or bad) is the result of compliance or non compliance of dharma !!

Dharmic law states that a person will only get bad karma by supporting directly or indirectly bad actions like killing or harming a living being either humans or animals.

Coming to meditation, only sanyasis performed meditation after fulfilling all their grishasta ashram, and as a traditional practice, no one else performed this.

Pl note, intense meditation etc..are all not medically and clinically proven to be safe, hence not recommended. Any number of instances where people who went for vipassana came out with extreme anxiety or neurological disorders.

Dear Brahamanyan Ji,

Coming to the word Dharma, English has no single equivalent but Arabic comes close..
In Arabic there is a word called Deen.

Deen can have multiple meanings but mostly it means:

1)The system of life
2)Judgment
and both The system of Life and Judgment is in accordance with Divine Law, Knowledge,character,deeds,faith and an encompassing beliefs.

Dharma too is the Law of Being/System of Life and to some extent "Judgment" becos we reap what we sow

Dear Doctor,

Here's a brief definition of the word "Dharma" found in Mahabharata.
Being asked by Yudhistira
to explain the meaning and scope of DHARMA, Bhishma who had mastered the
knowledge of Dharma replied thus:

SHANTHI PARVA - 109-9-11
It is most difficult to define Dharma. Dharma has been explained to be that
which helps the upliftment of living beings. Therefore, that which ensures
the welfare of living beings is surely Dharma. Thelearned rishis have declared that which sustains is Dharma.
Again in
KARNA PARVA- Ch.. 69 - 58 eulogises Dharma in the following words:

Dharma sustains the society
Dharma maintains the social order
Dharma ensures well being and progress of Humanity
Dharma is surely that which
fulfils these objectives.

Dharma (Dhamma in Pali) finds in the core teaching in Buddhism .
This is a vast subject, many religions have described the importance of leading a life of Dharma in different languages.
Regards,
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

hey, just want to know what meditation you all do daily and how it helped you all and can share with me. I am trying many meditation but I'm just beginner.

I want to maintain celibacy but very hard to keep lust out of view. any meditative steps you want to share?

Lust is not in the body (as some may conclude) but in the mind.
Lust as a feeling when it arises is neither good nor bad but what you do about lustful thinking can be dharma or adharma ( using clarification provided by Mr Brahmnayan as to what dharma is)

I will share what I came across while doing some searches on the internet that may be useful here. I dont have the exact references but seemed logical to me. What follows is a combination of several pieces of information I found.

Translation of something called Brhamacharya as celebacy may be incorrect. The teachings emphasizes Brhamacharya and its meaning from what I recall from some online sources is as follows

For a student, it is focusing on studies and yes celebacy also if that is possible. If not I have suggested remedy later.

For a married person it is being faithful to one's spouse and enjoy lustful activity with that partner along with other householder duties.

For a retired person it is minimal involvement in worldly stuff. Celebacy should be natural since body's hormones are not going to create any pressure.

The next stage of Sannyasa, the question will not even apply. A lustful person should not stay as a sannyasi

Now, are you a student? Or you are old enough to get married but unable to find someone? Or you are much older, missed the boat of marriage but still has lust in the heart. Meditation is not your answer though I am no expert in meditation. I know enough about it to know that meditation is not your answer.

So if you are able to get married go for it and meditate with the spouse after lustful activities.

But if you are not in a position to do so and you have lust that is dharmic (meaning no violence on others) then masturbation is your answer, not meditation. In fact meditation will be more fruitful if the hormonal needs are addressed. But dont overdo it . Dont get addicted to it

If you have adharmic lust you will need a therapist.

Hope the above helps

Meditation does not mean renouncing from all earthly attachments and desires. If it were so, no one is qualified to meditate, it's as simple as that..!! Meditation does not mean nor it leads to suppression of desires. So, if you have desires, meditation is not going to help get over it. You may either seek to satisfy your desires or else you should seek to rationalize and reason out the needs of body, mind and emotions.

One pointed meditation is not something gained easily, it takes efforts, time and persistence and above all His Grace. A best way to start is to practice Japam. Gayatri Japam is already available if you have been initiated into it. Practising japan daily (not just 10 or 28 times, but more) will help attain better control over emotional needs over time. One may also practise nama Japam of Bhagavan Nama. Choose that appeals to you and stick to it regularly. Practice, consistency and sincerity will help.

Latest ads

Back