• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Meditation/Mind Techniques - Beware of the side effects!!

Meditation and Mind techniques are the rage today and there are any number of ashrams and schools all over the world propagating various aspects of sadhana.

My view is - anytime you move away from the natural state of our mind and body, you have to be careful of the side effects.

In one incident a lady in the USA committed suicide due to heavy anxiety after a 10 day vipasana meditation.

Some others have experienced psychotic episodes and other side effects.

Our scriptures talk about our lives in this world as a karmabhoomi and hence our duty is to go through our karma.

In this process if we change our mind and subconscious to overcome our emotions then we will be impacting the "Karma fabric".

Our karmic struggles are performed by the huge upheavels in life - ups and downs of our emotions. So if one were to overcome the fear completely then he or she will no longer struggle on a daily basis. So they will end up with much bigger issues like accidents or legal etc..

For e.g. take the earlier example of the Brahmin. the Kings gold he was carrying was stolen by a thief and he was distraught on how to explain this to the king. The thief in the meanwhile loses his life to the lion which wanted the gold.

This is part of his karmic struggle. Now if he were to be more resilient then he would have hardly struggled when he lost the Kings gold. Or he would have fought back the thief and held on to the gold.

In which case he would have sufferered some other disaster or he may have died at the hands of the lion !!

So in a karmabhoomi, building resilience, being very brave, getting tough emotionally, becoming stress free, being famous, super rich etc.. (all the western thoughts) are all a curse because you will end up with bigger suffering !! Refer my earlier post on - Cosmic theory.

You can see this for yourselves. Generally the weak will not suffer any major issues in life but they struggle a lot on minor issues. The strong on the other hand scales great heights in their life but will also suffer major issues.

This is why I said over-happiness is a curse and one will in the end struggle more !!

Moderation is the key in everything. And don't change ones nature except for minor adjustments!!

I fully agree with you.
I have come across many people into Kundalini meditation..all sorts of techniques etc..but all seem highly delusional with a high dose of grandiose feeling.

They then become highly unstable too thinking they have 3rd eye activated and can scan the body of others to find out diseases and 99.9999% of them have no shred of evidence nor results.

Then many of them lack restrain and bond quickly with anyone male or female and feel they are brothers and sisters at a spiritual level and totally too trusting until it wont seem safe for a woman.

They feel they transcend all bodily attachments as if their hormones dont function! Lol

Some even hallucinate as wanting to marry Lord Shiva!
Then some say they are egoless and do not even remember their names anymore..but when you address them by name they say.." yes..I am Mr so and so!"

Then they say..that was my body answering and not my atma answering! Lol

Ever since I started teaching Sanskrit the people I meet are so much into all these delusional meditations that at times I wonder why Swamijis these days go grandscale destroying minds of others.

Its really scary to see the disease called meditation now.

Dear Renuka,

Dont just see the negative side. By focussing too much on the shady has sullied spirituality a lot. Benefits due to spirituality are real and immense much more than even science and technology can bestow not only at the mental level but also at the material level.

I believe materialism should not be the antithesis of spirituality but being imbalanced instead.

Dear Sravna...its better for me at least to stay grounded.

Spirituality per se doesnt change anything...there are no miracles
Everything remains the same but we just choose coping mechanisms.

Some choose prayer..some choose meditation and some choose sports/ yoga etc.

These coping mechanisms release endorphins which help us make better decisions but not always without input of others.

This is how we make conducive decisions in life.

There is no miracle..its only self effort to fall down cry..suffer..face everything..recover..not to forget good times too before we exit.

Many feel we are "spiritual beings having a human experience"

For me I beg to differ..I am human living on this earth for now.

I fully agree with you.
I have come across many people into Kundalini meditation..all sorts of techniques etc..but all seem highly delusional with a high dose of grandiose feeling.

They then become highly unstable too thinking they have 3rd eye activated and can scan the body of others to find out diseases and 99.9999% of them have no shred of evidence nor results.

Then many of them lack restrain and bond quickly with anyone male or female and feel they are brothers and sisters at a spiritual level and totally too trusting until it wont seem safe for a woman.

They feel they transcend all bodily attachments as if their hormones dont function! Lol

Some even hallucinate as wanting to marry Lord Shiva!
Then some say they are egoless and do not even remember their names anymore..but when you address them by name they say.." yes..I am Mr so and so!"

Then they say..that was my body answering and not my atma answering! Lol

Ever since I started teaching Sanskrit the people I meet are so much into all these delusional meditations that at times I wonder why Swamijis these days go grandscale destroying minds of others.

Its really scary to see the disease called meditation now.

We should call a spade a spade LOL

Anyone thinking they have power via imagination is delusional. Reason cannot work.

The sad thing is that there are many who are gullible believing such egoistic people which is the cause of their delusion in the first place.

The best any of us can do is to call out the delusional messages .

Dear Sravna...
I should introduce you to some of the spiritualists I know here.

Believe me...I know you are still very capable of logical thinking.

Many of such types even lack manners...its such an overdose of arrogance.

Ok..Sravna..just explain to me why many who had Kundalini activated develop " spiritual arrogance?"..
What happen?

If spirituality is cleansing why the opposite is seen?
Shouldnt it improve behavior?

For eg if a person has syphilis..Penicillin injection cures him.
Penicillin worked.

Likewise shouldnt spirituality work too?
It doesnt cure 99.99% of people...it makes them have a holier than thou attitude of a Richter 10.

What say you?

It will work. It is difficult to get it at work fully because there are so many in the world that are anti spiritual and for spirituality to emerge unscathed , it has to fight every one of them . One wrong step, everything gets tainted for good just like what a drop of poison makes a whole liquid.

So Renuka, it is a very uphill task for one aiming for perfection and he has to cross more and more formidable hurdles. Let us be fair. This era being a kali yuga makes it that difficult

But trust me pure spirituality is such a wonderful egoless and blissful feeling that you feel totally complete and adequate. It is not arrogance let me hastily add. I have myself been experiencing it now and then. I want them to set in permanently and working hard on it.

Dear Sravna...
I should introduce you to some of the spiritualists I know here.

Believe me...I know you are still very capable of logical thinking.

Many of such types even lack manners...its such an overdose of arrogance.

Ok..Sravna..just explain to me why many who had Kundalini activated develop " spiritual arrogance?"..
What happen?

If spirituality is cleansing why the opposite is seen?
Shouldnt it improve behavior?

For eg if a person has syphilis..Penicillin injection cures him.
Penicillin worked.

Likewise shouldnt spirituality work too?
It doesnt cure 99.99% of people...it makes them have a holier than thou attitude of a Richter 10.

What say you?
Thanks Renuka For the first time in this forum, someone is saying I am capable of logical thinking. Frankly I think letting spiritual intelligence or thinking work is lot more fun and which is what I myself am mostly inclined to do. It is more interesting to let the reader connect some of the dots, and trust me there can be a lot of variations in that , instead of we spelling out things.

Some clarifications -

The search for what is beyond the physical life is an exciting work for me personally and hence continue to read on various interpretations and theories. So I do not want to discourage anyone from seeking this spiritual knowledge,

However to gain this knowledge one does NOT need to perform meditation/mind techniques as it is dangerous and has numerous side effect !! There is enormous literature in this subject and I think we have all the material need to zero in on this,

I want to evaluate on a few things, before I publish a seperate thread as I mentioned earlier.

Let's continue to debate on spirituality rather than rejecting it !!

Acharyas are clear on this. In this Kaliyugam, one should only engage in Bhakthi towards one's ishta or kula devatha, or experience prapatti to Sriman Narayana. All other methods are extremely risky.

Dear Sir
When we say meditation one should be very clear what kind of meditation are we talking about, to whihc school does it belong and how was it learnt.
There is broadly two types of meditation a) meditation as an action (kriya) and Meditation as a state ( Dhyana). The first one has to be properly instructed and guided by a qualified Guru then it will help heal some of the malfunctions/incongruousness in our inner energy patterns. Those who did not go to a Guru who comes from a proper lineage may suffer due to improper guidance and harm caused by further imbalance. The second type of meditation is a mental state achieved by merely focusing on an ista devata and observing the breath ( Prana Veekshana). This has no side effects and will gradually bring quietude in the mind. This is beneficial.
Hope these points help this discussion thread.
Pranams

Found this topic curious. Side effects of mediation!

Well, in the incident of the American committing suicide, and few more going mentally overdose, that's clearly a symptom of improper way of meditating.

Like most people think, Pranayama is not mediation. It's just a preparatory needed to make ones mind clear, so that one can get into mediation. Many foreigners believe otherwise.

So just trying to achieve Kundalini by mere just Pranayama is not a right way. It's like expecting a new born to run, without going through the steps of rolling, crawling, kneeling, standing and walking.

Meditation requires a certain way to follow. Srimad Bhagavatham and Srimad Bhagavat Gita gives a detailed explanation on how it should be performed. And Bhagavatham also explains the form on which one should mediate.

Only then one can go to to a higher level of Kundalini.

That being said, Meditation needs some prerequisites. And Pranayama is one thing that helps one to achieve it. One should have proper food control, (read Bhagavat Gita pertaining to satvik food). Then one should become Jitendriyan, have control on ones all senses, (karmendriyum and jnanendrium).

When one doesn't get these things correct, they either end up overdosed, or aggressive. Cause meditation gets the prominent character out of a person.

Following that, one should get into higher level. But be warned, nothing can be achieved without bhakthi. And that comes only when one gets a deeper belief in spirituality. That's why our acharyas had always started their teachings with stotrams, and recitation from Itihasa and Puranas.

And yeah, like being mentioned above, Kundalini for scanning for diseases. That's not the intention behind Kundalini. It's meant for enlightment and liberation, and not for materialistic purpose. And one cannot attain them without bhakthi.

And, meditation is not restricted in Kaliyug. Nama sankeerthanam is enough to attain liberation, that's what the shlokam says, it never restricts on meditation.

I would rather say, mediation never gives side effect. It's the wrong way of trying to achieve the fruit of it without proper channel.

Adiyen Rama dhasan

It is well accepted that external religious rituals should elevate one person to the inner spiritual search of the Ultimate, which is called by different names by different groups. However, spiritual path is so hard that if we try one ourselves, we would struggle. It is important that one follows a worthy Guru to take up meditation. There is no single Guru who satisfies everybody. But, if one has really developed the thirst for spirituality and yearning for a Guru, a suitable Guru would reach him to take him over. It is also difficult to follow such spiritual practices, because that requires controlling of our mind. If some rituals are to be conducted, it would be easy, as we can physically ensure that the rituals are completed as per the requirements. But to focus on the spiritual path and do meditation, controlling of mind cannot come automatically. It is only a Guru who can guide you towards your goal.

My response to #13/14,

The point is we simply cannot confirm if there is a definite side effect or not due to meditation. Reason being there has been no scientific study analysing all the people who have performed mediation,

Some of the reports coming from USA are concerning. This meditation retreat had experienced teachers who performed meditation,

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/06/york_county_suicide_megan_vogt.html

In such a case, it is better to avoid this irrespective of an experienced guru or not,

Found this topic curious. Side effects of mediation!

Well, in the incident of the American committing suicide, and few more going mentally overdose, that's clearly a symptom of improper way of meditating.

Like most people think, Pranayama is not mediation. It's just a preparatory needed to make ones mind clear, so that one can get into mediation. Many foreigners believe otherwise.

So just trying to achieve Kundalini by mere just Pranayama is not a right way. It's like expecting a new born to run, without going through the steps of rolling, crawling, kneeling, standing and walking.

Meditation requires a certain way to follow. Srimad Bhagavatham and Srimad Bhagavat Gita gives a detailed explanation on how it should be performed. And Bhagavatham also explains the form on which one should mediate.

Only then one can go to to a higher level of Kundalini.

That being said, Meditation needs some prerequisites. And Pranayama is one thing that helps one to achieve it. One should have proper food control, (read Bhagavat Gita pertaining to satvik food). Then one should become Jitendriyan, have control on ones all senses, (karmendriyum and jnanendrium).

When one doesn't get these things correct, they either end up overdosed, or aggressive. Cause meditation gets the prominent character out of a person.

Following that, one should get into higher level. But be warned, nothing can be achieved without bhakthi. And that comes only when one gets a deeper belief in spirituality. That's why our acharyas had always started their teachings with stotrams, and recitation from Itihasa and Puranas.

And yeah, like being mentioned above, Kundalini for scanning for diseases. That's not the intention behind Kundalini. It's meant for enlightment and liberation, and not for materialistic purpose. And one cannot attain them without bhakthi.

And, meditation is not restricted in Kaliyug. Nama sankeerthanam is enough to attain liberation, that's what the shlokam says, it never restricts on meditation.

I would rather say, mediation never gives side effect. It's the wrong way of trying to achieve the fruit of it without proper channel.

Adiyen Rama dhasan

True that!
Kundalini is a source of power which could be utilized for wrong purposes. Bhakti and continued good karma is a requirement for enlightenment.
If you are not pure in thought and action those negative karmas will punish you for raising your consciousness up. It has been ordained that it is the responsibility of ‘Death the fifth’ from Briharadanyaka Upanishad to ensure that. Your soul will first face the most negative of them all first that will ensure your entitlement to raise up your consciousness to next higher level. Sort of say ‘quality control’ requirement.

Meditation and Mind techniques are the rage today and there are any number of ashrams and schools all over the world propagating various aspects of sadhana.

My view is - anytime you move away from the natural state of our mind and body, you have to be careful of the side effects.

In one incident a lady in the USA committed suicide due to heavy anxiety after a 10 day vipasana meditation.

Some others have experienced psychotic episodes and other side effects.

Our scriptures talk about our lives in this world as a karmabhoomi and hence our duty is to go through our karma.

In this process if we change our mind and subconscious to overcome our emotions then we will be impacting the "Karma fabric".

Our karmic struggles are performed by the huge upheavels in life - ups and downs of our emotions. So if one were to overcome the fear completely then he or she will no longer struggle on a daily basis. So they will end up with much bigger issues like accidents or legal etc..

For e.g. take the earlier example of the Brahmin. the Kings gold he was carrying was stolen by a thief and he was distraught on how to explain this to the king. The thief in the meanwhile loses his life to the lion which wanted the gold.

This is part of his karmic struggle. Now if he were to be more resilient then he would have hardly struggled when he lost the Kings gold. Or he would have fought back the thief and held on to the gold.

In which case he would have sufferered some other disaster or he may have died at the hands of the lion !!

So in a karmabhoomi, building resilience, being very brave, getting tough emotionally, becoming stress free, being famous, super rich etc.. (all the western thoughts) are all a curse because you will end up with bigger suffering !! Refer my earlier post on - Cosmic theory.

You can see this for yourselves. Generally the weak will not suffer any major issues in life but they struggle a lot on minor issues. The strong on the other hand scales great heights in their life but will also suffer major issues.

This is why I said over-happiness is a curse and one will in the end struggle more !!

Moderation is the key in everything. And don't change ones nature except for minor adjustments!!

Thats why real saints - in any religion - emphasized prayer alone will help you get along with karma. And we should use our judgement

Did anyone see Nithi's levitation technique??

Latest ads

Back