• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

what is Tamil Brahmin "CULTURE"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a Kannada Brahmin who feels more kinship to a Lingayat or Gowda than a Tambrahm. And Andhra Brahmins who feel Telugu first and feel kinship with Kamma/Reddys and Rajus than with a tambrahm, so its not just a northie thing. Probably even Bengali and Maharashtrian Brahmins too. So it mostly is only Tambrahms who keep saying Brahmin is Brahmin. It certainly doesn't seem to be the case for other southie Brahmins. If Brahmin is really Brahmin surely a Bengali Brahmin should feel more kinship to a tambrahm, but probably not. The probability that they have a Bengali Kayastha relative is higher than a tambrahm or south Brahmin.

I went to an Andra School during the statehood movement of Andhra. No Andhra Brahmin was with Tamil Brahmin. They wanted Andhra separate from Madras. It had no caste angle to it. A language binds closer ties than Caste.

We started the Tamil Sangam here in my town. The last time I was there someone told me that I speak Brahmin Tamil, and I should learn the true Tamil. They were right to an extent as I could not understand their language, a Brahmin friend was translating the spoken and written subjects. I was a foreigner in my own Sangam.

No Andhra Brahmin was with Tamil Brahmin. They wanted Andhra separate from Madras. It had no caste angle to it. A language binds closer ties than Caste.

Or it can be said that a language divides.

Grouping of any type is a double-edged sword!

BTW, Separate andhra or not, telugus are still present in significant numbers is Chennai.

Dear Sri Jaykay767 Ji,

You said
Similarly most of the Boston Brahmins are all south Brams, you will find this across many countries/places.​

Whoa! Really? :)

There are of course IA Brahmins in Boston. They are 'IA Brahmins living in Boston'.

Where ever you see what you consider as something connected with your concept of our tradition, you seem to take enormous pride:

Bali Hinduism is not brahminical, they don't strictly follow the caste system and they enjoy eating beef. Do you know this?

By the way, where I live, they call some bulls as 'Brahmins'. There is also a high status ladies leather purse maker called 'the Brahmin brand'.

Just a couple of more items connected with the word 'Brahmin', that you can take pride in. :)

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Dear C.RAVI,

Refer your comment 'Brahmins are Brahmins'.

Are Brahmins come down from Mars?

I went to an Andra School during the statehood movement of Andhra. No Andhra Brahmin was with Tamil Brahmin. They wanted Andhra separate from Madras. It had no caste angle to it. A language binds closer ties than Caste.

We started the Tamil Sangam here in my town. The last time I was there someone told me that I speak Brahmin Tamil, and I should learn the true Tamil. They were right to an extent as I could not understand their language, a Brahmin friend was translating the spoken and written subjects. I was a foreigner in my own Sangam.

Dear Prasad1,

In my work place there are Telugu Brahmins of Andhra origin and Telugu Brahmins of Tamilnadu origin (Who have lived in what is now TN for ages).

While Telugu Brahmins of Andhra mingle with any Telugu speaking person, the Telugu brahmins of TN are comfortable with and hence mingle with Tamil speaking people.

The kinship is more with people-of-same-region or with people-speaking-more-familiar-language.

When outside of your state of domicility, same-region takes precedence over any other aspect.

My mother tongue is a language other than tamil. And I now live in a place where people speak my mother tongue. yet i am more comfortable with tamil-speaking-guys for the same reason as TN Telugu brahmins. My brahmin-accent tamil has earned me the nickname 'Iyer'

Last edited:
There generally exists disinterest and sense of alienation between Northies and Southies..Topographically there is a distance by land and by heart, in general.

Dear Ravi,

I chose the example of North Indian Brahmins cos they are the only Brahmins I have close contact with since they are my relatives.

They feel comfortable with those who speak their language and choose to hang around with like minded mostly Norties too.

They dont really feel the Brahmin kinship with Brahmins of other states.

I will give you an example...Once we had a bhajan session in my parents house and one lady came over for the first time.

She introduced herself to my mother and told my mum that she was a TB.

Then the lady looking at my mum knew she was Nortie and started speaking to my mum in Hindi.

Initially my mother spoke to her in Hindi too but stopped after the lady started commenting that she feels so happy to actually have a chance to speak Hindi cos there are hardly Aryans around here in Malaysia.

My mum then switched to speaking Tamil to her!LOL

My mum later told me she spoke only Tamil to that lady cos she wanted to remind the lady not to foster any "kinship" on an outdated Aryan Invasion Theory.

My mum did not feel any kinship with her..all my mum saw was person who held on to some outdated theory.

Last edited:
கால பைரவன்;190191 said:
Or it can be said that a language divides.

Grouping of any type is a double-edged sword!

BTW, Separate andhra or not, telugus are still present in significant numbers is Chennai.

Shri KB,

​It is so surprising and hilarious to read some funny posts about Brahmins Culture!!!

The basic human tendency is to get affiliated with people of similar background, language, belief systems etc..etc..Just because of that, we can't say that All Hindus or Christians or Muslims across the Globe would not stand united if there is something challenging.

All South Indian Brahmins belong to different region, language, certain belief system, different school of thoughts etc..etc. The same is the case between Iyers and Iyengars in TN who adhere to their own concept of spirituality, customs, traditions, traditional dressing sense, food preparation style etc..etc.

Whether all set of Brahmins stand united is totally a different question. In fact, whether people belonging to one set of brahmin community stand united or not itself is a Billion Dollar Question..LOL!!!

With these variations, every set of Brahmin Community would certainly feel comfortable and kinship with the own set. This is basic human tendency.

If Telugu and Kannadiga Brahmins take pride in their ethnic culture so do TB's and Kerala Brahmins. Every set of South Brahmin Community is unique in its own and each set cherish their uniqueness. And certainly would stick to their own community.

These variations among the South Brahmin community does not rule out the existence of all such set of Brahmin community under one "BRAHMIN" Umbrella.

All these Brahmins are Brahmins.

Neither Brahmins, nor Non Brahmins have arrived from Mars, or Moon or Jiupiter or Saturn. LOL!!! In fact we dunno where from Humans landed on the Earth!!!

But, we for sure know that we humans live on Earth with uniqueness in the culture of each set of community. Each set take pride in its culture and mostly stick to the same set of people that gives them comfort and pleasure.

I would like to re-iterate my previous post, below..

There is no pressing need for one set of brahmins to feel kinship over other set of brahmins or not to feel.

These are individual choice. Especially in present scenario where South Brahmins are gradually going out of staunch orthodoxy.

In any time, if no chance to get a partner from the same set of South Brahmins, one would not mind to marry from another set of South Brahmins and would feel satisfied.

In all, Brahmins are Brahmins no matter how close they feel towards each other!

hi renu,

LOL.....in fact thayir sadam is code name of TB culture....

It totally is, especially amongst Tamilians. I told someone that I was "iyer" because they were insisting why i was vegetarian and whether its coz I'm fasting or on "vratham" and I got the reply " Thayir saadama nee?! :mmph:. I really wonder if in Andhra they call Brahmins "perugannam" or not?. Something tells me they don't!

3. My chithappa and other uncles in the family have a special liking for lungi. They cant wait to change once they are back home.

Just one quick thing. If your Chithappa and uncles are wearing the white dhoti thingy (veshti, pancha and mundu in SI) its not technically called a lungi. Sorry to be pedantic and I know for northies all sarongs are lungis :D. A lungi is the colourful lined and stitched on both sides. Just saying...either way both are very comfy apparently so thats why they can't wait i guess.

Lungi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dhoti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Genes of TB has its uniqueness with experiences and wisdom of past many years.

Do you mind sequencing your genome so that the TB gene can be isolated? There is a real scientific benefit to this. Once the gene is isolated, the race of TBs can never go extinct.

Similarly, there must be Chettiar genes, Reddy genes and Kulkarni genes?

Dear Amala,

Tamil speaking Iyers whether from Tamil Nadu (TB) or Kerala (KLB) are branded as 'thayir chAdham'!

But one of the popular 'thayir chAdhams' was called 'sAmbar'!! :becky:

P.S: Do Telugu brahmins relish 'perugu' so much as TBs? I don't think so. :cool:

Do you mind sequencing your genome so that the TB gene can be isolated? There is a real scientific benefit to this. Once the gene is isolated, the race of TBs can never go extinct.

Similarly, there must be Chettiar genes, Reddy genes and Kulkarni genes?
That was a good one LOL...and i thot folks like me were foolish in spending money, getting mine sequenced, ending up one amongst the 18,843 complete mtDNA sequences used in this study (had independently loaded mine to ncbi).

Last edited:
palindrome,

I don't need a gene study to figure out that all human beings, without the conditioning of a culture are the same: 'Tabla Rosa', with some useless ingrained effects, which manifest themselves in mainly diseases.

I lose my heart when such statements by educated folks like Sri C. Ravi Ji are made about TB genes.

It is just sad. I did not have the heart to bring this up.

Regards,
KRS

That was a good one LOL...and i thot folks like me were foolish in spending money, getting mine sequenced, ending up one amongst the 18,843 complete mtDNA sequences used in this study (had independently loaded mine to ncbi).

palindrome,

I don't need a gene study to figure out that all human beings, without the conditioning of a culture are the same: 'Tabla Rosa', with some useless ingrained effects, which manifest themselves in mainly diseases.

I lose my heart when such statements by educated folks like Sri C. Ravi Ji are made about TB genes.

Regards,
KRS
Oh well sir, am not sure why i ended up spending a small bomb on those studies, but am glad my genome was one of the handful used in a recent study to identify a protein associated with diabetes (so far my genome has been used in different studies to identify 13 other conditions). Hoping the next stage in this post-genomic era wud herald drug discovery, or some sorta relief for the next generation suffering from those conditions. And i think that wud matter a good deal, rather than sitting on eugenics or 'gene-exclusivity' based on caste.

palindrome,

Regards,
KRS

I find it quite amusing that we can have a firm belief that "brahmins" can have a specific and unique kind of gene structure which differentiates the "brahmins" from the rest of the humans. Nevertheless, it is a very good belief to have because it is one way to uphold one's brahmin pride. (If tomorrow some fashion designer invents some kind of accessory to go with the bra and names it as "min", then that "bra-min" will also definitely belong to "southie brams"!!

Dear Amala,

Tamil speaking Iyers whether from Tamil Nadu (TB) or Kerala (KLB) are branded as 'thayir chAdham'!

But one of the popular 'thayir chAdhams' was called 'sAmbar'!! :becky:

P.S: Do Telugu brahmins relish 'perugu' so much as TBs? I don't think so. :cool:

I know of a non telugu married to a Tel Brahm and they tell me Telugu Brahmins not only relish it but take it everywhere to during long trips when they have nothing to eat or don't want to go to restaurants in the US. So i'm quite sure perugannam is as important!

palindrome,

Regards,
KRS

Shri KRS,

I mentioned about Brahmin Genes in terms of "basal lineage" (genetic). It is commonly understood that the behavioral, thinking, learning, inclinations, habit etc..etc. patterns are related to genes. Even if a Brahmin orphan boy is adopted by a Muslim Man and brought up as a Muslim, one can see his genetic qualities in some way or other.

--------------------------------
Source Wikipedia..

Lineage (genetic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[h=2]Basal lineage[/h] In genetics a basal lineage is a genetic lineage that connects a variant allele (type) possessed by a more common ancestor that evolves into two descendant variants possessed by a branch ancestor. An example of a basal lineage is the lineage between mitochondrial 'Eve' and L0 or L1. Basal lineages may have types that are no longer represented in the extant population, only being defined by derivative types such as CRS for L1

I am glad that you feel so pathetic about me and restricted yourself from bringing this up so as to not to expose me as an idiot among other intellectual members.

Thank you.

Shri KRS,

I mentioned about Brahmin Genes in terms of "basal lineage" (genetic). It is commonly understood that the behavioral, thinking, learning, inclinations, habit etc..etc. patterns are related to genes. Even if a Brahmin orphan boy is adopted by a Muslim Man and brought up as a Muslim, one can see his genetic qualities in some way or other.

Source Wikipedia..

Lineage (genetic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[h=2]Basal lineage[/h] In genetics a basal lineage is a genetic lineage that connects a variant allele (type) possessed by a more common ancestor that evolves into two descendant variants possessed by a branch ancestor. An example of a basal lineage is the lineage between mitochondrial 'Eve' and L0 or L1. Basal lineages may have types that are no longer represented in the extant population, only being defined by derivative types such as CRS for L1

I am glad that you feel so pathetic about me and restricted yourself from bringing this up so as to not to expose me as an idiot among other intellectual members.

Thank you.

ravi,

i believe otherwise.

in two generations, people who have had no history of education in their lineage, in tamil nadu, are giving the other communities a good run for their money. just look at the profile of some of those high mark achievers in state board exams. across the board representation.

many of the soviet scientists of the previous era, had lineage, of peasantry, much like our own scheduled castes - ie tied to the land, as serfs and servants, and no education. they got preferential treatment post the russian revolution, and their sons, and daughters ended generals and scientists...all within one generation.

i think, a good education, training, motiviation and inclination goes a long way to success. i dont think genes has anything to do with it.

all that is wikipedia is not true. it is a reference point, and that is all.

Did you miss this line Siva Sir!

"However, the Judge said it was left to Shilpa Motion Works, Mumbai, to change the title and release the movie."

The movie might soon be released with a new title! :faint2:

I did read that line. But I am happy for the overall observation by the court.
If the people wanna make money, why tease a particular caste? Perverts....... :flame:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back