• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What is Sanatana Dharma

Status
Not open for further replies.
The word SANATANA means that which knows not a begining or an end. Our sanathana dharma is the oldest of religions and the name Hindu is of a later origin. Religions have their scriptures and ours are the vedhas which containsw the quitesence of the hindu religions thought and philosophy . Birth into this faith has been the envy even of gods from time immemoriable.

It should be fortunate to one to take be born done as a Hindu.. This country, we call Bharat is holier than Heaven itself and we enjoy the fruits of one's good actions here, and heaven. One who is born into this holy land should be worthy of its rich spiritual heritage. He must deem it an oppurtunity, to prepare himself for the attainment of salvation, which is the very purpose of this life.

Thed proper sadhanas for this attainment of oneness with god liberation from the cycle of birth are well enshrined in vedas.Puranas are exemplified commentaries which try to expand and enlighten us on the substance and meaning of the vedas.

Path to God realisation is three fold Karma, bhakthi and gnana. Faithful adherence to one's code of conduct and sincere performance of one's duties purify the mind and flood the heart with bhakthi. Bakthi, ripe, and total earns are god's love, and the knowledge of the Supreme is attained.

Self confidence, purity of mind, selflessness, detachment,truthfulness and love for all beings, are the essential qualities that go to make a Hindu personality. The principles of our dharma spring from the deep experiance of our ancesters and have the authority , of our scriptures, and this speaks for their all time relevence.

It is nothing wrong if we follow and practice with such slight modifications and changes here and there as may be necessciated by the changing spirit of the time.

ACHARAKOVAI in tamil enumerates our daily obligations in unmistakable terms.

I understand the first question. The second is the confusion the society has created, not by the Sanatan Dharma. I think at least you have some lead about the second question. To understand the first question the answer for the second question is to be sought, so that you will not be confused later. Please take the trouble of seeking those in this forum's old posts.

The word Dharma is used in more ways than one. Like Sanatan Dharma, there are are Dharmas. Islamic Dharma, Christian Dharma, Buddha Dharma, Jain Dharma and so on and so forth. When a beggar on the street (In the South) asks you to give dharma, he means that you give him food or money that is considered as dharma. And further there is dharma for the giver and taker.

Dear all,

I often heard the term "Sanatana Dharama" in various places. Actually what does it mean? Is it the same as Varnashrama Dharma (caste division based on duties)? Pls explain.

We use the term Hinduism to denote the religion of majority of people in India. That religion is Sanatan Dharma. Sanatan Dharma is like the ocean.
Varnashrama Dharma is nothing other than division of labor according to their ability. It later got corrupted to be used exclusively by birth, and was misused. Varashrama Dharma is the floating debris on that ocean.

Dear Shri Murari,

sanatana means ancient, time immemorial etc.

Dharma has been defined in the shastras and consists of ten facets:

Dhriti Kshama Damo Asteyam Shaucham Indriya-nigrahah
Dheer Vidya Satyam Akrodho Dashakam Dharma Lakshanam - Manu smriti

(1) Dhriti – Patience, (2) Kshama – Forgiveness, (3) Damah – Self
Control, (4) Asteya – Not Stealing, (5) Shaucha – Purity, (6) Indriya
Nigraha – Sense Control, (7) Dhi – Intellect, (8) Vidya – Learning/
Knowledge, (9) Satya – Truth, (10) Akrodha – Absence of Anger.

Varna refers to the four orders as defined in the Gita and other shastras.

Ashrama refers to the four stages of life.

Thank you sirs for your explanations. From the above I understand that the Sanathana Dharma is a generic term indicating or mentioning the Hinduism? If I am wrong, pls enlighten me.

We use the term Hinduism to denote the religion of majority of people in India. That religion is Sanatan Dharma. Sanatan Dharma is like the ocean.
Varnashrama Dharma is nothing other than division of labor according to their ability. It later got corrupted to be used exclusively by birth, and was misused. Varashrama Dharma is the floating debris on that ocean.

I think nothing can explain this better than your reply. Thank you sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back