• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Attack on Sanatana Dharma..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a vegetarian, a pure vegetarian. I strongly advocate Vegetarianism to my kids and my friends. I also realize that many medicines that I consume may have non-vegetarian content in them. But I still consume them.

The reason for my vegetarianism is not my love for animals. I love plants, animals, bacteria, virus, microbes, rocks, stones, sand, dust and just about everything in this Universe. I believe everything in this Universe has an element of consciousness in it, but yet is built on one consuming another, as a system of 'Sacrifice' or 'Yajna'.

My Vegetarianism is also not based on any Psuedo-science philosophies that says humans need to consume beings with less similar emotions and instincts than them and hence a plant based diet is good. As I said earlier several life-saving drugs may be got from animals. Even the swamijis who preach them, use them.

Remember not just animals, but all life forms including bacteria exhibit similar emotions and instincts as us. The channel or method in which they display it is different and not sensible to us. If animals make sounds to save themselves, Plants release chemical substances when threatened. When we pluck a vegetable or greens, plants do definitely react. We don't understand it.

The reason for my Vegetarianism is simply because I believe it is the most sustainable for evolution in our current circumstances. Large-scale growing and harvesting of plants, which is farming, has proved to be sustainable source of food. Even that is under threat now due to huge demand on food and the resultant Genetically Modified and In-organic farming methods. How this is going to evolve us in future is a big question.

Large-scale farming of animals, which is what is required for non-vegetarian food chain is simply not sustainable. It would invariably lead to more un-sustainable methods of production and lead to our eventual disaster. Hence it is my view, that till we gain a complete understanding and control over food production methods, we as human race, stick to vegetarianism, as much as possible.

Consuming simplest of life-forms that can be repeatedly harvested is the most sustainable food chain possible. Hence I support vegetarianism.

I do not expect others to think or act like me.

Coming to the core of this article
, Is Cow Worship or Not eating Cow Meat part of a 'Hindu Identity'..?

The Hindu Identity that we have is an externally imposed Identity. People in this land did not follow any religion. They followed a 'dharma'. A religion has an organized theme, a founder, a messenger and certain set of specific identities. People who believe in these themes, accept a founder or messenger, who take these identities belong to that religion.

A 'dharma' is nothing but set of Universal laws, laws that originate from nature. Whether you want it or not, you will be forced to follow the dharma. You can't violate natural laws.

Asrama dharma which defines the four Asramas, viz, Brahmacharya, Grhasta, Vanaprastha and Sanyasa is tuned to our brain development. Whether we want or not, everyone evolves through these four Asramas. It is a dharma. It is an Unviersal Law. If we understand that law, we can tune our actions and intent better.

Varna dharma which defines the four Varnas is also an Universal Professional Law. It cannot be changed. In our social organization we will always have Knowledge Providers (Brahmanas), Material providers (Vaizyas) and Service Providers (Kshatriyas). When a particular service becomes abundantly available, it becomes cheap labor (Zudras). A society in which Zudras become abundant will not survive, but collapse. If we understand this law and structure our society better, we will evolve better.

These are just examples. In essence, Sanatana dharma is simply a way of living aligned to nature.

Several schools of thoughts and philosophies
originated from this dharma. But all of these co-exist and evolve together. Monotheism, Polytheism, atheism, agnosticism were all part of this dharma.

As the Mahopanishad says 'Ayam Bandhur ayam neti ganAna laghu cetasAm udAra caritAnAm Vasudha iva Kutumbakam". Those who practise 'lofty' (schools of thoughts) do not say this is close, this is alien but treat the entire earth as one family'. Though it is said about people, it is also applicable to their thoughts, life-styles, behaviors and habits.

People of sanatana dharma treat various flavors of Saivism, Sakthism, Vaishnavism, Buddhism, Jainism, Islam, Christianity and numerous other schools as same.

Nothing is alien. Nothing is close.

Just as our PM Modi said the other day, 'Vasudha iva Kutumbakam' is in the DNA of the Sanatana Dharma. In other words people who say this is alien and this is closer do not belong to Sanatana Dharma.

Sanatana dharma thus had several schools of thoughts, life-styles, habits and behaviors in it. While each followed their own thoughts, life-styles and habits, the core principle of our dharma is to respect others also.

Several schools of Sanatana dharma did promote Cow Worship
. But that does not mean which is worshiped should not be eaten. Not just cow, several plants, trees, herbs, shrubs, animals and reptiles are venerated and worshipped in Sanatana Dharma. But they are also eaten.

Cow has been a symbol of 'riches' for thousands of years. People's wealth was measured in terms of number of cows one had. Larger the number of cows, larger is the population that person will feed. Larger is the land that person will possess. Larger are the people a person will command.

Hence the number of Cows in a household always added prestige to a household. So cows were never slaughtered even in old age. They were 'Lakshmi' or 'Wealth'. Will anyone slaughter their own 'wealth' or 'Lakshmi'..?

There were also sections of population who did not consider cow as great property. For them Cow was also a food. Pariahs and Pulayas have been eating cow meat for long times. There are several other tribes across the current Indian nation which have been eating cow meat for thousands of years.

Charaka Samhita clearly says for phthisis or wasting diseases (like Tuberclosis) in which body continuously degrades, meats of cow and even carnivores like lion need to be given to the diseased. Such meat have excellent flesh building properties. Charaka is right. Such meat has huge amount of proteins and is given to such people even now. Sushruta says that Cow meat is one of the 8 excellent food sources.

In Ramayana, Valmiki describes Aswamedha Yajna in which Kausalya, Sumitra and Kaikeyi slaughter a horse and smoke its liver. Today it is not an accepted practice. But it had a great element of truth and necessity in it. The omentum in the liver of a horse that roams around (not grown up in a stable) has great medicinal properties. So it made sense for people to do such a sacrifice. Even today so many medicines are made, whose raw material is from an animal.

In other words cow eaters, horse eaters also belong to sanatana dharma. There is no alien in this dharma.

But even saints and seers who realize it
are afraid to talk about it today. They tend to justify certain identities as 'identities' of this dharma, contributing to the religionization of this dharma.

Let's face it. Cow is not the Mother of all. Cow is another animal species. Cow Worship is one of the several identities of this dharma. Cow eating is also one of the several identities of this dharma. People of this dharma do not say this is alien or this is closer. They do consider entire earth as one family.

True saints and seers who care about this dharma should be talking this language. They should not be talking of 80% vs 20%.

Specifically talking about the Dadri incident
, there are several dimensions being talked about in it. One is that Cows used to get stolen and skinned in that area. So what the crowds thought they were attacking is more about attacking a thief rather than a beef eater. Another is that the crowds attacked because of the sanctity of the Cow. Some say it is a pre-meditated attack to whip up communal tensions, in UP gearing up for elections or even extending to Bihar. Some say it is a isolated incident of rage.

Now we don't know what is the truth. It could be a pre-meditated event to stoke communal passions based on Cow. Or this could be simply be a case of rage like road-rage.

In either case, it shows how Sanatana dharma has failed to guide people in the right way.

More important, if the attack is because of the sanctity of Cow worship or even if that caused a part of the attack, then people who belong to this
dharma have a great reason to worry.

The attack in Dadri is not an attack on Mohammad Akhlaq.
It is an attack on the Core concept of Sanatana Dharma. It is an attack on the concept that nothing is close, nothing is alien. It is an attack aimed to make Sanatana dharma into an Abrahamic religion with certain identities and beliefs.

Most so-called Hindus are true Sanatana dharmi's in their heart. Nothing is alien or nothing is close to them. They are ready to always evolve out of their current thoughts and philosophies. Some of their evolutionary thoughts may look progressive, some regressive. But they are willing to change and adapt. They are willing to co-exist and evolve together.

The Dadri attack is an attack on all these people in Sanatana dharma who are willing to change and adapt. They need to answer this question.

Do they want to continue their evolutionary march or want to be bound by identities and get fixed at a point of time like other religions..?

If evolution does not win, then the dharma that assimilated so much and stood the test of time, stands to lose its very nature.

-TBT

Last edited:
Dear Shri TBT,

Well said and well written. Learning to live with others and assimilation of good qualities in each is what is needed.

There is no point in writing long, long articles so as to exhibit your knowledge (or the lack of it). There has never been a static, unchanging sanAtana dharma in this sub-continent. The Mahabharata itself cites an ancient custom under which any woman including wives could go with any man of their liking and that was also considered sanAtana dharma.

The Dadri incident is the planned work of the hindutva fanatics who probably thought that they would successfully polarize the hindu votes in favour of BJP but it got misfired! That the prime minister has not opened his mouth shows his approval for the plan. What has happened is that Muslim votes will go away, along with the secular hindu votes.

The hf s ought to have reported their suspicion to the police and guarded the place effectively till the police came on the spot but the hfs are overzealous fanatics who think that they now run the country. That is the problem.

There is no point in writing long, long articles so as to exhibit your knowledge (or the lack of it). There has never been a static, unchanging sanAtana dharma in this sub-continent. The Mahabharata itself cites an ancient custom under which any woman including wives could go with any man of their liking and that was also considered sanAtana dharma.

The Dadri incident is the planned work of the hindutva fanatics who probably thought that they would successfully polarize the hindu votes in favour of BJP but it got misfired! That the prime minister has not opened his mouth shows his approval for the plan. What has happened is that Muslim votes will go away, along with the secular hindu votes.

The hf s ought to have reported their suspicion to the police and guarded the place effectively till the police came on the spot but the hfs are overzealous fanatics who think that they now run the country. That is the problem.

Hmm... True.. Regarding knowledge or lack of it,

पठन्ति चतुरो वेदान् धर्मशास्त्राण्यनेकशः |
आत्मानं नैव जानन्ति दर्वीपाकरसं यथा ||

My concern was not on the political front. It was more about the way I perceive our dharmA.

-TBT

But we have not heard the ladle's point of view if it really does not "know" the taste of food.

You see if a wooden ladle is used..the juices of the food would seep into it..so the ladle should "know" something about the taste.

Even if a metal ladle is used..there is some changes that happens being exposed to some oxidative changes depending on the acidity/alkalinity of the food it comes in contact with.

A "virgin" ladle that has never been used for cooking and a "de-virginized" ladle surely differ..one has zero experience with taste of food and the other has been around and became a Rusikanda Poonai.

Conclusion: The ladle knows the taste..its just that no one asked it!LOL

Last edited:
Yesterday I atended a ladle's mariage. I do not know why I was invited to the mariage which was an exclusively ladles affair. Later I came to know that I am an expert chamcha and that was the reason. It was an elaborate ceremony with ladle purohit belting out some mumbo jumbo continuously. It is enough to say there were a number of ladles around and all of them were beautiful. Ladles do not wear dhoties or sarees and they were their natural selves and so were beautiful beyond words.

The ladle couples were finally made it to their nuptials. I gathered that a ladle child usually takes just two days to be born.

I also gathered that:

The ladles hate to be called chamchas as they feel that word bristles with apartheid mindset.

They feel honoured if you address them as dharvi because it is part of yajna lingo.

These days youngsters among the ladle population prefer to be called ladle, spoon etc., and elders among the ladles population consider it a blasphemy.

I asked the dharvies there about the doubt my doctor friend has expressed. They gave a disapproving smack (of course with the ladle handles) and told me that human beings are horribly lazy. They never care to wash their ladles fully after use and attribute all sorts of imaginary qualities to them.

I came away running.

Woke up from my sleep and thought I should post this immediately. I went to sleep wondering what a ladle civilization will be like after reading renukaji's post here. LOL

Renukaji, just a doubt: Are the ladles mammals or they lay eggs and hatch them. Just curious.

Last edited:
Hmm... True.. Regarding knowledge or lack of it,

पठन्ति चतुरो वेदान् धर्मशास्त्राण्यनेकशः |

My concern was not on the political front. It was more about the way I perceive our dharmA.

-TBT

Firstly, the word "our dharma" is ambiguous; does it refer to an Indian's dharma, an upper caste hindu's dharma, or a Shudra's dharma? As said in my previous post, many people pretending to be dhArmic, go on using the word "sanAtana dharma" without knowing that it was never static and that, for example, if the dharma of 3000 years ago was implemented today, no tabra could go for clerical, salaried jobs or even BPO jobs!

In the general sense of "Indian's dharma" the goonda type crowd in Dadri should have reported the matter to the police and other concerned authorities and/ or filed a case in the appropriate court. It is the Constitution which is our "dharma" now, whether anyone likes or not.

Vivekananda, Aurobindo and countless other yogis have said santana dharma is an universal concept nurtured by Hindus and will be understood, respected and followed in varying degrees by a discerning set of people outside bharat. Its influence will never wane.

Vivekananda, Aurobindo and countless other yogis have said santana dharma is an universal concept nurtured by Hindus and will be understood, respected and followed in varying degrees by a discerning set of people outside bharat. Its influence will never wane.

Well said Shri Sarang. It is also a timeless concept and is ever relevant and can be practiced at all times. What changes at different times is only the exterior but the inner self if it has strength can face the changes with itself not changing. In fact if the inner self has enough strength it can bring any wayward times in sync with timeless concepts

Last edited:
Firstly, the word "our dharma" is ambiguous; does it refer to an Indian's dharma, an upper caste hindu's dharma, or a Shudra's dharma? As said in my previous post, many people pretending to be dhArmic, go on using the word "sanAtana dharma" without knowing that it was never static and that, for example, if the dharma of 3000 years ago was implemented today, no tabra could go for clerical, salaried jobs or even BPO jobs!

In the general sense of "Indian's dharma" the goonda type crowd in Dadri should have reported the matter to the police and other concerned authorities and/ or filed a case in the appropriate court. It is the Constitution which is our "dharma" now, whether anyone likes or not.

As I wrote in the post, Dharma are the set of Universal Laws. Sanatana Dharma is living in accordance with the Universal Laws.

An Example is Varna Dharma. Varna Dharma is the law of professions. There will be always four professional classes in our Social Organization. That is the Law. None can change it ever.

The three professions are Knowledge providers (Brahamanas), Material Providers (Vaizyas) and Service PRoviders (Kshatriyas). When a particular set of service providers become abundant, they become Cheap Labor (Zudras), the fourth. Obviously if the world becomes abundant of Zudras or cheap labor, it won't survive or find it difficult to sustain.

Now whether in the past, present or future, whatever economic system is followed, the four set of professions will exist. This is eternal. This won't change. It is an Universal law and can never change.

Sanatana dharma is living in accordance with these dharmas or natural laws, so that we evolve sustainably.

There are several such laws and concepts in Sanatana dharma, which we all know, but do not REALIZE, like that ladle that knows, but cannot realize.

-TBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back