• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What Hindus Should be Aware of

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sri Vijisesh Ji,

Your analogy is quite apt. During my own life time, I started working with the vacuum tubes (diodes and pentodes), and progressed to transistors and the chips. But I have found that the fundamental principle of the Boolean logic still holds true across these technologies.

There is no reason to 'defend' our religion. If one is somewhat educated in the fundamentals of our religion, that will do. In this regard, I always advise young folks to read Srimad Bhagavat Gita (in any version) to understand what our scriptures say. What our scriptures say is akin to the Boolean Logic, applicable to all technology within that realm.

Ours is the oldest religion known to man. While it is a 'way of life', as you describe, let us not forget the theistic part of our religion contained both in the 'Strutis' and the 'Smritis'. It is the only religion alive today that goes beyond any western label such as Monism, Monotheism, Polytheism etc. So much so that Max Mueller coined a special term to describe it 'Kenothatheism', but then it is also too limiting.

'Modern' has no relevance to our religion - because it continuously has remorphed to adapt to the times, without losing it's foundational Truth. Hence the parade of Avatars, Saints, Maharishis, Rishis, Paramahamsas and Mahatmas who have brought relevancy to the times they lived in. So, what I would tell the current generation of youngsters is to examine the Chip sets as opposed to/aligned to the vacuum tubes, to understand how the Boolean logic works.

One will understand then that we all stand on the shoulders of our forefathers, who perhaps at times had more vision than us, despite our advantage of the height.

Pranams,
KRS

Sri/Sow. Vijisesh/Blast_from_the_Past (BP)/KRS,

Thank you for your views.

Sri BP, I encourage your views on doing something about establishing our rights and raising protests against bad film portrayals. I'm not so sure about your birth control idea. I think family sizes are intensely personal choices and each family should and most often does have the economic sense to decide how big they want to be. Also, can we refrain from psycho-analyzing people who have strongly different/opposing views (could we avoid using terms like 'paranoia' to describe another poster? Please let's make an attempt to support our community members however different their views. We can and should say what is acceptable and what is not; but we should also stop at that.)

Vijisesh, I really liked your chip analogy and Sri KRS you did a good job of picking up that logic and saying what you wanted to say.

I hear the need for concrete action plans - something that we can do together - not just within ourselves, as individuals (Sri KRS although I think you have a valid point in suggesting a remedy I am of the opinion that we need to focus on what we can do as a group or perhaps how we can support one individual who wants to do something for the whole group).

I don't have immediate answers although I do think in one way or another we have to use different kinds of media to achieve our ends.

But I do know that each one of us has got it within us to get up and do something about the situation. If we think long and well enough we will be able to come up with answers for our problems. It may be something small; it may reach only one other person but we CAN DO that little bit. I agree that there is a threat to Hinduism and that we have to do something about it. I equally believe that we have the ability to fix the problem. Just that we need to decide what to do and how to execute it.

Regards,
Chintana

What Hindus should be aware of

xXx

Last edited:
Saubhagyavathi Chintana

I appreciate your candour and up-to-the-point view of the situation.Very apt in your statement and not a bit terse! But I find that my post is not visible in the posts! Is it because the post is prejudiced and offensive? Has it violated any of the blogging laws?

Regards
blast_from_the_past

But all your posts are visible! I only deleted a duplicate posting. Whatever new views you have posted are all there!

Could you let me know what is that message that you sent which is not visible?

Sorry about the confusion.

For the record, no I didnt find your views a violation.

Regards,
Chintana

Good to note that the discussion continues.......

I am humbly proud that my religion encourages me to question its basics to any extent and I know for sure that there are many competent authoritative people who can answer my queries, questions , even if there is a question about the basics !!

Last edited:
Dear Sri Vijisesh Ji,

At the risk of boring Sowbhagyavathi Chintana Ji to tears, I just have to respond (I want to assure her at the same time that I am still thinking about the action steps that she has asked for), because it seems to me that you are coming from an angle where I was several years ago.

As our religion points out, all true religions point the way to Him. In my view, any religion that has a sizeable people following it and which upholds the sanctity of the divine is a true religion. So, religion in a sense is one's own based on one's culture. This is why while all religions are valid, the religion one grows up with is especially valid for that person because of the childhood association with it. So, I would say, this is why one's religion one has grown up with is usually the best religion for that person. But then there are a few exceptions.

Uttering matras and slokas mindlessly and without understanding the meaning, usually is an empty exercise. But even then, if one is sincere, our religion says that uttering such words would purify one's own mind. But then Sanathana Dharma does not force one to follow a single path. To understand all this, what paths that are available within Hinduism, please read the Bhagavat Gita (just the English translation of the verse without commentary - there is a good one by one Prof. Barbara Miller).

Path to enlightenment for most of us mortals is not without some work.

Pranams,
KRS

Dear Vijisesh,

The maroon italics below are my responses.

Dear Mr.Krs / Ms.Chintana,

I am happy to see Response to some of my posts ! I used to login 3 times daily to check for any msgs ..but after a while as I did not get a response for 2-3 days from anyone , i just felt that either I am writing something which people may neither not be interested in or may be I am writing about outdated / already discussed issues...........

Good to note that the discussion continues.......

My feeling and analogy above , Mr.KRS should be almost similar to many guys who enjoy doing much more in life than chatting about hinduism and upholding their virtues as a brahmin ! ( By the way -- Greetings for a great Avani avittam , tomorrow ! )

I have seen my dad, his brothers continue to follow all rituals exactly copy book , strictly as per the instructions of their seniors ! without knowing the meaning of what they do ??
Why should u know the meaning of what u do ?, u may ask ! May be ur head would be chopped off if u ask the same question to guys following some other religion !

Well, I am glad you recognize the importance of asking questions and not following everything blindly. There are very liberal thinkers in this forum who encourage the understanding of what we do and why we do it.

Your Karma in this life is to follow what the elders say without raising a question! No Sir, i can't do that !

I hope you know that none of us in this forum are asking you to do that, just for the record. But I know what you mean. If this is the message that your elders have constantly told you and you feel you can't agree, welcome to a new world - a world that encourages curiosity and learning through questioning.

I am humbly proud that my religion encourages me to question its basics to any extent and I know for sure that there are many competent authoritative people ( like u, sir ), who can answer my queries, questions , even if I question about the basics !!

Boolean algebra !!!!!!! True to my knowledge , sir , this Boolean Algebra is common for all religions along with other beliefs like karma --
sin theory, Living life by values etc ..

I need to know what's so special in my religion that could pull me into it and make me convey it across to other inquisitive minds!

Did you not mention a couple of points in this posting? You said that your head wouldn't be cut off if you question. You also said that your religion encourages you to question. Don't these strike you as points that you can present to others who seem inquisitive.

Another point to bear in mind is this - developing understanding of anything is hard work. You need to read first. You will make mistakes. You wont know what to read. So you will stumble. Then you yourself will learn how to pick out books that interest you. As you start to read and deepen your understanding you will find material to talk about with other people. Do not expect anybody to grant you understanding on a platter!!! If you don't like blind authority then develop your own ways of deepening your understanding first. Then come to the discussion with good points to contribute. Watch what others agree with and disagree with and see what feels right for you.

Bhagwad Gita is too big a book ! Can we really use this portal to make someone quote a few lines from there and focus and understand the meaning behind those lines ?

Same answer applies. You can ask people to recommend a good interpretation for you but don't expect anybody to summarize the Gita for you. Nobody has that kind of time. Do you own work!

pl don't misunderstand me ! I will do my Kamokarshith japam tomorrow as usual as any year , but one fine day I will get to understand what i do !

Nanri, Vanakkam

I am glad you have a sense of inquisitiveness and curiosity to learn about our traditional ways. I also hope you will develop the patience and skill to learn what you need to know.

Good luck!

Chintana

Dear Vijisesh,

I don't mean to speak for KRS but what you've raised is an issue for moderation.

When you enter into any discussion please come prepared to share ideas. Do not expect to be treated like the way teachers treat students in India. Teachers in India 'tell' students what to do. A good discussion is sharing of one's opinions. It is not meant as a platform to learn the basics of any issue. So I hope in your subsequent postings you will come a little more prepared.

Pranams to you too KRS ji,

Smart people , I should say ! Not going to give away anything but sign boards giving GIS co-ordinates , which could need a special equipment to decipher and get to the location , instead of taking someone interested for a free ride to the desired location ! ( Don't tell me there's no such thing as a free lunch !!!)

You know, you ARE right! There IS NO such thing as a free lunch! There are many people who dont even get these coordinates. The world doesn't respect people who dont do work. As long as you can read you should be able to pick up that reference and try it. You have to develop your own understanding as I mentioned in my previous posting.

i have also seen this dialogue appear in the Indian movies for a long time - u are just a replica of what I used to be a few hundred years ago !!

Come on Sire, gimme some link or a pdf file to this translation work of Srimad bhagwat gita , specifying exactly the pages to concentrate on !

Try and make life easy to someone , u shall be blessed by the almighty for this and may be i can get some mileage out of this spreading it across !!

Again same message.

I didn't quite understand ur first line ' boring Ms.chintana to tears ' !! has it something to do with chatting over a trivial matter ?? or some issue which has been discussed over and over again ?????? pl enlighten me !

I will let KRS respond to this.

Nanri, Vanakkam

Regards,
Chintana

Last edited:

P.S: Any LOGICAL view presented with an OPENNESS to change, a WILLINGNESS to LISTEN and the PATIENCE to UNDERSTAND is more than welcome. We find it hard to deal with stubbornness and rigid view points.

Congratulations, appears as though you have driven him away. :whip:

Dear Vijisesh,

Dear Ms.chintana,

Hats off to your timely moderation !
Agreed , i understood from ur msg that , this is a discussion forum and one needs to go undergo a protocol / go through some syllabi , prior to typing msg's here !

You have misunderstood me. There are no 'protocols' or 'syllabi'. Informed people usually read books that interest them and then talk about it. When one is interested in any subject usually the initial information gathering has to be done by that individual.

Not agreed - to your concept about indian teachers telling what the students to do --- Things have changed , long long ago , Its more interactive now, check with those million people who have landed in US/ europe , from IIM's and IIT's ..

Yes. I am aware. I am also aware of their sadly lacking critical thinking abilities. FYI, I had a chance to sit through a class at IIM-B a couple of years ago and had an opportunity to watch a well-regarded professor deliver his lecture. My opinion is based on my own, direct experience.

You are also mistaken over the availability of resources in the net , so a basic co-ordinate is not going to do any help to anyone !

I didn't mention anything about where to find those resources, did I?

If those coordinates that KRS suggested don't work for you, you could do a couple of things (1) See what is available on the Internet and read that and contribute to discussions through what you have learnt (2) Check if a big book store near you carries a copy - frequently you can actually read in the book store - if that is not comfortable for you check at your college library or any other nearest library and try to read it at your own time.

I guess what I am looking to hear from you is that you are trying, and making an effort to get this knowledge on your own somehow. I see you giving up too quickly. Do give your local resources a shot.

Also, it is not as if you can't get a good interpretation of the Bhagavad Gita from one of your local book stores or library. I can understand that latest developments in science may not yet be available in books in India. But spirituality? Come on!

Anyway, let me end the discussion for today and I shall login tomorrow to check if I am also banned from this site !

Ouch! Why so touchy? I didn't say that you had written anything offensive, did I?

I gave you information about how good discussions are conducted in the informed world. Those suggestions were intended for your benefit.

What you choose to do with that suggestion is up to you.

Even so , Do continue the good work !
Thanks and Regards,

I am not sure at all how to respond to this comment.

Chintana

Last edited:
Dear Ms chintana,
Good Day ! Excellent and Patient replies , i should say !
U're fit enough for being a moderator !
I tried to throw a few googlies but I am really impressed by your matured response !
All the things u say are valid and i shall make my sincere efforts to make an attempt to read and to be well versed !
I am put up in the middle east, most of my schooling here , went over to india , did my grad came back here and did my PG from here in a Uk university, making merry with my family and job here. The problem offlate is I have too much of spare time and my curiosity to understand more about my culture is making me toooooooooo sensitive . Sorry for that !
There's no free availability of the kind of material that we are talking about , here in the bookshops or colleges ! Ofcourse I could pick some thing up or get it delivered to me from India .. But , I always think it will be quick and easy to get online sources , so if possible u could have a place for PDF files of manuscripts in ur website !, for our access !
That will help us in a great way !
Thanks and Regards

Dear Vijisesh,

Thank you for your good words.

I didn't realize you were in the Middle East. Now I see why you would like to have online resources.

A google search done by you is as good as a google search done by any of us. So would you like to see what comes up when you google search for Bhagavad Gita?

As to having a space in our forum for files and such - unfortunately we cannot have such dedicated storage space on our server - there is an admin problem with that. This is the reason we encourage the exchange of links.

I hope you continue to find our discussions useful.

Regards,
Chintana

Dear Sri Vijisesh Ji,

Like Sowbhagyavathi Chintana Ji's reply to you above, I did not know that you live in the Middle East. However, as she also says I was going to give you the same advice - type in 'Bhagavad Gita' in to Google and watch for the results!

Again, knowledge and wisdom come by (I am told), by the interaction of one's mind and spirit with the real world out there. This includes reading, reflecting, asking others for clarifications (Guru included), and just observing and living. Nothing can substitute this. There is no 'magic bullet'.

My only aim was to encourage your own search. When I said I had been there, it was neither to belittle your search nor to 'hoodwink'. It was said in truth, because you did simply bring back memories from my younger years (which were so long ago). So, please forgive me if I have sounded in anyway like an unthruthful salesman.

Wishing you good luck in your endeavour,

Pranams,
KRS

Pranams to you too KRS ji,

Smart people , I should say ! Not going to give away anything but sign boards giving GIS co-ordinates , which could need a special equipment to decipher and get to the location , instead of taking someone interested for a free ride to the desired location ! ( Don't tell me there's no such thing as a free lunch !!!)

i have also seen this dialogue appear in the Indian movies for a long time - u are just a replica of what I used to be a few hundred years ago !!

Come on Sire, gimme some link or a pdf file to this translation work of Srimad bhagwat gita , specifying exactly the pages to concentrate on !

Try and make life easy to someone , u shall be blessed by the almighty for this and may be i can get some mileage out of this spreading it across !!

I didn't quite understand ur first line ' boring Ms.chintana to tears ' !! has it something to do with chatting over a trivial matter ?? or some issue which has been discussed over and over again ?????? pl enlighten me !

Nanri, Vanakkam

I do not know whether i am way off base as we geeks call it. Anyway here it goes.

For understanding different paths in Hinduism, the best book is
Choosing a path by Sri Swami Rama.

Swami Rama was the Sankaracharya of Karvirpitham in Andhra Pradesh. Oh. Yes. There are plenty of Sankaracharyas of different maths all over India.

The web site which gives you a good non-sectarian view of Hinduism is

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/

This institution was started by
Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami, an exponent of Saiva Siddhanta and one of the greatest exponents of Hinduism of this century. He was a Maharishi. Of course he was an American. There are some of his books available on line.

Did you know that Saiva Siddhanta which originated in Kashmir in the first century B.C is the dominant religion in Tamil Nadu. All the Siva/Sakthi/Murugan temples are controlled by the different Adheenams. The Archakas/Gurukkal of Tamil Nadu follow Saiva Siddhanta.

You can buy books on Hinduism from amazon.com. They have an excellent collection. There are scholarly books on Hinduism which are published recently in U.S and which are not available in India. I get them from amazon.com

I do not know whether i am way off base as we geeks call it. Anyway here it goes.

For understanding different paths in Hinduism, the best book is
Choosing a path by Sri Swami Rama.

Swami Rama was the Sankaracharya of Karvirpitham in Andhra Pradesh. Oh. Yes. There are plenty of Sankaracharyas of different maths all over India.

The web site which gives you a good non-sectarian view of Hinduism is

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/

This institution was started by
Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami, an exponent of Saiva Siddhanta and one of the greatest exponents of Hinduism of this century. He was a Maharishi. Of course he was an American. There are some of his books available on line.

Did you know that Saiva Siddhanta which originated in Kashmir in the first century B.C is the dominant religion in Tamil Nadu. All the Siva/Sakthi/Murugan temples are controlled by the different Adheenams. The Archakas/Gurukkal of Tamil Nadu follow Saiva Siddhanta.

You can buy books on Hinduism from amazon.com. They have an excellent collection. There are scholarly books on Hinduism which are published recently in U.S and which are not available in India. I get them from amazon.com

Dear Nacchinarkiniyan,

This thread is for the discussion of what we can do to help assuage the sectarianism and hatred that is prevalent in the Indian society. The debate stopped at a point when posters were still deciding/discussing action plans. I don't know under what context you posted this message. It probably belongs in the 'Who are we? Part II' thread or any of the appropriate ones under Religion.

Regards,
Chintana

Last edited:
Sorry about that. I did say that I could be "way off base." Sorry about that Americanism. Old habit.

I was responding to the post #42 by vigisesh

When the Hindu society is like a burning hut today with the government declaring that there is no evidence of Rama having ever existed, or that the DMK passing ordinance to give reservations to Muslims and Christians for its war against Hindus in general and the Brahmins in particular, unfortunately tamilbrahmins.com exists like dodos in their world of fantasy. My attempt to turn its focus was rebuffed by the moderator and I decided to refrain from posting because I sensed that if I don't conform to being a zombie I would be banned.

So long and good-bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back