• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What aspects of TB culture is worth preserving and why?

None of us make any rules. Only the forum owner makes the rules. Obviously anyone can respond to any posts. But my questions were directed only to those who carry a TB identity in their persona.

Only they can answer what makes them a TB. It was intended to be answered from a personal experience that is useful.

That's not what you wrote.

This is what you wrote:
Non TB members and/or those that do not care about the above set of issues need not respond. That is a request"

But the strange thing is..your post has been edited.
Is the edit option valid for some many days if one isnt the moderator?

Anyway even if you are a co-moderator by not open about it..so for all practical purposes you are also just member like anyone of us here.

Life has many dimensions On one side its Atala, Vitala, Sutala...Patala. On the other side its Bhu, Bhuvaha, Suvaha, Mahaha, Janaha, Tapaha and Satyam.
In each of these there are different dimensions again the Materialistic, Social, Spiritual.
A Brahmin aims for the Spiritual dimension he/she is not affected by the Materialistic or Social dimensions.
A Brahmin can go without materialistic needs (Food, Water, Air, etc) for days together/infinity, can live without any social interactions for days together/infinity. He is one with Nature, his Mind and Body are in sync with Brahmandam/Universe.
1000s of years ago our Rishis were able to identify planets without any instruments siting with their eyes closed, how? Its because of their attainment of Spiritual enlightenment.
Chanting Vedas, Performing rituals etc are just one aspect of trying to be a Brahmin. For e.g. to be a master in Maths you need to know Arithmetics, but only Arithmetics will not be sufficient to be a master in that subject.
A Brahmin's aim must be to attain the Spiritual enlightenment at the Satyam Dimension of life, i.e. at the highest dimension of life.
For this there are Yogas, Rituals, Mantras various subjects in which you need to gain mastery in.
Search and learn all these aspects to become a true Brahmin.

That's not what you wrote.

This is what you wrote:
Non TB members and/or those that do not care about the above set of issues need not respond. That is a request"

But the strange thing is..your post has been edited.
Is the edit option valid for some many days if one isnt the moderator?

Anyway even if you are a co-moderator by not open about it..so for all practical purposes you are also just member like anyone of us here.

This kind of posts hijacks the topic area.
I did not edit Post 1 since it was first posted. There has been no alterations.

If you make statements like the above how can anyone take your posts seriously. Most of the people know where you stand on this topic area. Hence I am not interested in your views in this topic area, in any case.

Anyway, I hope we can get back to the topic area of the thread.

Let peace be with you!

Dear friend,
Your post has very valid points. You have summed up my views in a different language. Apart being born to a Brahmin Couple I do not have anything to define myself as a " Brahmin" as defined in Scriptures. Neither I follow Apasthamba Sutra, nor practice (or learn) the Branch of Yajur Veda as I state while introducing my self to elders. But I try to uphold and follow Brahminical qualities as enshrined in our scriptures. Here is one from Bhagvad Gita :

Gita (18.42)
शमो दमस्तप: शौचं क्षान्तिरार्जवमेव च |
ज्ञानं विज्ञानमास्तिक्यं ब्रह्मकर्म स्वभावजम् || 42||

Austerity, purity, patience, integrity, knowledge, wisdom, and belief in a hereafter—these are the intrinsic qualities of work for Brahmins.

These are not difficult to follow. Above all we are just a part of whole world as explained in Maha Upanishad :
Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam ( वसुधैव कुटुम्बकम)
In the changed circumstances of Modern world any one can change and follow these Brahminical qualities.
Among Africans there is a beautiful concept called "Ubuntu" akin to Brahminical qualities. Philosophical sense to mean "the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity".
"Ubuntu means love, truth, peace, happiness, eternal optimism, inner goodness, etc. Ubuntu is the essence of a human being, the divine spark of goodness inherent within each being. From the beginning of time the divine principles of Ubuntu have guided African societies."
Warm regards,
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
Thank you, Mr Brahmanyan

Those are excellent qualities to aspire for and to preserve as a society

Regards

hi

according to manusmriti......the rules for brahmins are mentioned....it has rules for all 4 varnas and women too...

ADHYANAM ADHYAAPANAM BRAHMANANAAM......means learning and teaching of VEDAS....are we really do

in real world in modern days?......culture will change periodically...

hi

according to manusmriti......the rules for brahmins are mentioned....it has rules for all 4 varnas and women too...

ADHYANAM ADHYAAPANAM BRAHMANANAAM......means learning and teaching of VEDAS....are we really do

in real world in modern days?......culture will change periodically...
I thought Smriti are not always applicable. Manusmriti is outdated and we cannot listen to whatever it says anymore. What is the point in memorizing and teaching others to memorize Sanskrit verses for a lot of rituals that have no relevance anymore?

I think Mr Brahmanyan's reference to Bhagavad Gita is more applicable for today;s world

If you make statements like the above how can anyone take your posts seriously. Most of the people know where you stand on this topic area. Hence I am not interested in your views in this topic area, in any case.

Let peace be with you!

Again insult in the apology.
How do you determine who is qualified? When you apologise be sincere about it.

Again insult in the apology.
How do you determine who is qualified? When you apologise be sincere about it.
Initially I thought that is something wrong with my lap top where I could not find the earlier written lines by a- TB.

I looked again...i cant find the what he wrote earlier.
But since I had quoted his post i have it in my post where he clearly says that Non TB members need not comment etc.

So I was wondering how come the post is edited after so many days?? Strange? Unless someone is a moderator incognito hence the ability to edit after so long and the attitude too?

The 1st post by a-TB was on 31st Aug
I wrote my post on 2nd Sep and quoted his post and the line was still there on 2nd sep.
Then when he replies me all of a sudden the line is not in his original post.

I thought the time frame to edit a post is 60 mins.
How did he manage to edit after so many days?

This itself is clear..only a co moderator would have access to do this.

But anyway whatever a-TB wrote reminded me of Zakir Naik's recent video of his so called "apology" to Msian Hindus and Chinese here.

It was an insulting so called apology but at least Zakir Naik had less of a blame game in his video.

Don't waste your time Prasad Ji...some cant change.

Last edited:

Let peace be with you!
Ok let's talk about the hijack now.

This was your original post on 31st aug
A while ago Mr vgane did an informal survey about the kind of weddings that involved at least one party to be classified as a TB. I do not remember the conclusions but it appeared that many of the TBs seem to marry outside their cultural heritage.

In the last decade or so I have attended one wedding that is between two TBs. Let us consider these facts

a. A large percentage of middle and upper middle class TB families have migrated to other countries most notably to USA. Many of the next generation childrenare not marrying within their community

b. Most of the families of TB origin do not have large families anymore. Many have at most two children and often 1 or none.

c. Most TB children and adults in India and outside India do not know what it means to be a TB. Even I cannot answer conclusively.

d. Recently in another thread (of Mr Krishnan) I did a Google search to provide references to a definition of what a Brahmin is. I got surprising answers. I am copying and pasting two links I presented in that thread

1. https://www.speakingtree.in/blog/brahminical-qualities
2. Scriptures declare that only a realized soul can claim to be a brahmin. Here is a reference that translates a vedic text
https://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1496

I am not sure if I have come across a true Brahmin by the above definition and it certainly does not emphasize birth based connection.

e. Many of the next generation children that are middle and upper middle class hardly seem to know much Tamil. Certainly of late TBs have not produced great literary experts of Tamil When we consider those born after say 1980.

In other words, next generation children born say after 2000 neither know T nor know what it means to be a B ( I suppose most of their parents are in the same boat as well).

I am putting down some questions for thoughtful input

1. With dwindling TB families due to reasons cited above, will the TB culture survive in the next 100 years. Why do you think it will survive?

2. What aspect of the TB culture are worth focusing on now so we do something to preserve them/ How do we do that? And why?

Non TB members and/or those that do not care about the above set of issues need not respond. That is a request.

I replied to that on 2nd sep and quoted it and your infamous last line was still there on 2nd sep.

Then you reply me on my 3rd sep and suddenly the last line is missing and you say you did not edit it.

This is your current post after "editing" where the infamous line is missing..."Non TB members and/or those that do not care about the above set of issues need not respond. That is a request"

A while ago Mr vgane did an informal survey about the kind of weddings that involved at least one party to be classified as a TB. I do not remember the conclusions but it appeared that many of the TBs seem to marry outside their cultural heritage.

In the last decade or so I have attended one wedding that is between two TBs. Let us consider these facts

a. A large percentage of middle and upper middle class TB families have migrated to other countries most notably to USA. Many of the next generation childrenare not marrying within their community

b. Most of the families of TB origin do not have large families anymore. Many have at most two children and often 1 or none.

c. Most TB children and adults in India and outside India do not know what it means to be a TB. Even I cannot answer conclusively.

d. Recently in another thread (of Mr Krishnan) I did a Google search to provide references to a definition of what a Brahmin is. I got surprising answers. I am copying and pasting two links I presented in that thread

1. https://www.speakingtree.in/blog/brahminical-qualities
2. Scriptures declare that only a realized soul can claim to be a brahmin. Here is a reference that translates a vedic text
https://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1496

I am not sure if I have come across a true Brahmin by the above definition and it certainly does not emphasize birth based connection.

e. Many of the next generation children that are middle and upper middle class hardly seem to know much Tamil. Certainly of late TBs have not produced great literary experts of Tamil When we consider those born after say 1980.

In other words, next generation children born say after 2000 neither know T nor know what it means to be a B ( I suppose most of their parents are in the same boat as well).

I am putting down some questions for thoughtful input

1. With dwindling TB families due to reasons cited above, will the TB culture survive in the next 100 years. Why do you think it will survive?

2. What aspect of the TB culture are worth focusing on now so we do something to preserve them/ How do we do that? And why?

Now coming to the hijack you accuse me of..before that can you explain how were you able to edit your post sometime between 2nd and 3rd september(depending which part of the universe you were in)?

The time limit for editing is 60 mins...so how did you "hijack" the edit option of forum?
So are you a hijacker or a co moderator?

Let me explain: a possible scenario.
The moderator may have edited it, without chastising the poster.

So maybe a-TB did not edit it, it was edited by the moderator.

I am not the moderator. So please do not blame me. I just want us to get back to the topic of the thread.

I asked the poster the following questions. Which has been ignored:

Who is a Brahmin?
Who is a Tamilian?
What is culture?
What portion of that culture the original poster wanted to keep?

None were answered.

The original poster did not want my comments, but he could not eliminate me on any of the conditions unless he names by as a person he can not keep me off, and if I was named as a person not to respond, then I will protest.

Whole threads sometime disappear without the author being notified. So this is nothing. I think a mountain is being made out of a molehill. The OP stated it was a request. It was not necessary for anyone to accede to the request. Case closed. Having said that Doc's first post in this thread was interesting. The pretend saviors continue to muddy things.

None of us make any rules. Only the forum owner makes the rules. Obviously anyone can respond to any posts. But my questions were directed only to those who carry a TB identity in their persona.

Only they can answer what makes them a TB. It was intended to be answered from a personal experience that is useful.

Obviously there is a misunderstanding of the term Guest.
We are all Guests in TB Forum. We do not get to make the rules.
If anyone does not like the rules laid down, they are free to leave or request a change of rule.

Whole threads sometime disappear without the author being notified. So this is nothing. I think a mountain is being made out of a molehill. The OP stated it was a request. It was not necessary for anyone to accede to the request. Case closed. Having said that Doc's first post in this thread was interesting. The pretend saviors continue to muddy things.

Oh mahamedivy sir, Please explain what Culture the opening post was referring and to whom?
Let us see how you tie yourself in a knot.
I will watch and enjoy it.

Oh mahamedivy sir, Please explain what Culture the opening post was referring and to whom?
Let us see how you tie yourself in a knot.
I will watch and enjoy it.

Perhaps for a fool, even a person who states simple truths will appear as mahamedhaavi only.

What is this person's contribution exactly to this thread other than repeating his usual bunch of silly questions? If he believes there is no such thing as a brahmin community, Why is he here? This is an honest question he should ask himself. Instead he will go on and on on a rant about rules of the forum etc Does he realize that it is exactly this type of response that the OP wanted to minimize and hence the request was originally made.

Even if a membership in a community is largely determined based on birth, it still does not preclude the members from having a set of rules or principles to adhere to or having a set of activities to indulge in as a community etc. That is the purpose of the thread.

There have been discussions about TB culture in this site multiple times.

People at that time did participate in the discussion, unlike this thread where the original poster and chamchas refuse to identify even one Universal Cultural Practice.

Rajiji wrote eloquently:

Any culture is bound to change as years pass by!

Just an example of dress code of three generations of tambram ladies:

In the 50s:

MadisAr - Six yards saree - pAvadai dhAvaNi

In the 70s:

MadisAr / six yards saree - Six yards saree - salwAr kameez

In the 90s:

Six yards saree - chudidhAr - half skirt

In 2010:

Six yards saree / Chudidhar - Chudidhar / jeans pants - Jeans pants / micro mini !!

What aspect of culture is just a routine function? Like brushing your teeth.
What aspect of culture is religious? Like going to Temple(?), but even that may be a routine.
What aspect of culture is ignorance? Superstition like sneezing, black cat, etc.
What aspect of culture is guilt? That something bad will happen if you do not do certain things.
What aspect of culture is group behavior? Doing it without any reason, so that you will not be ostracized by other group members.
So on, and on.

Perhaps for a fool, even a person who states simple truths will appear as mahamedhaavi only.

What is this person's contribution exactly to this thread other than repeating his usual bunch of silly questions? If he believes there is no such thing as a brahmin community, Why is he here? This is an honest question he should ask himself. Instead he will go on and on on a rant about rules of the forum etc Does he realize that it is exactly this type of response that the OP wanted to minimize and hence the request was originally made.

Even if a membership in a community is largely determined based on birth, it still does not preclude the members from having a set of rules or principles to adhere to or having a set of activities to indulge in as a community etc. That is the purpose of the thread.

Crows with peacock feathers do not belong to the flocks.
The OP was cast based and wanted his own views echoed back, that is against any public group norms.
So <edited> would get you nowhere.

Crows with peacock feathers do not belong to the flocks.
The OP was cast based and wanted his own views echoed back, that is against any public group norms.
So strutting would get you nowhere.

Perhaps this member should stick to his usual cut copy and paste items. Even that is tolerable to his other posts which often is devoid of any sense.

First, the term culture. It this poster stuck to his expertise - which is googling, he would realize that the term culture is defined with respect to a group and not that of an individual. For example, here are some definitions from the web..

"the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively"

Or

"the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group"

Or

"the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group
also : the characteristic features of everyday existence (such as diversions or a way of life) shared by people in a place or time".

Culture is not a term to denote an individualistic trait as this poster claims. Therefore it is okay to discuss the culture of tamil brahmins. <removed for personal attack. Kindly refrain from such posts>

For any group it is true that neither all will follow all the customs nor all will have all the traits etc. This is true for any group. There are going to be exceptions. That does not mean that the culture is "individualistic" -rather there are individuals who won't fit the description well as defined by culture. That is okay. It is not as if anyone is pronouncing a fatwa against these individuals. That is not TB culture. <removed for personal attack. Kindly refrain from such posts>

The reference to earlier threads prove that this poster has this kind of reaction anytime a discussion on TB culture is initiated. Why is he so insecure, only God knows perhaps.

When we grew up, learning some sort of classical art is emphasized. A lot of our relatives, if not exponents, at least understood carnatic music. We can encourage the newer generation to continue this tradition.

Someone mentioned association with kanchi mutts etc. When brahmins started moving away from their homeland, many families lost their connection to their mutt. Now technology has greatly reduced the distance even between different countries. This connection can now be rekindled.

Teaching slokas to kids has never been easier. Everything is available in youtube.

So many such things that were part of TB culture, the community can focus on again.

Ignore the naysayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any normal person would know that all custom originates with one person doing it and getting a bunch of his/her chamchas following it. That is how a group functions.

Culture is not a term to denote an individualistic trait as this poster claims. Therefore it is okay to discuss the culture of tamil brahmins. This poster need not jump up and down like a monkey because some one initiated a discussion.

Then again what can you expect from a person like you?

If one is ignorant and accepts it, at least they can be educated, If ignorant and not know about it can be excused, but the one who is ignorant and proud of it, God alone can save them.

Perhaps this member should stick to his usual cut copy and paste items. Even that is tolerable to his other posts which often is devoid of any sense.

First, the term culture. It this poster stuck to his expertise - which is googling, he would realize that the term culture is defined with respect to a group and not that of an individual. For example, here are some definitions from the web..

"the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively"

Or

"the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group"

Or

"the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group
also : the characteristic features of everyday existence (such as diversions or a way of life) shared by people in a place or time".

Culture is not a term to denote an individualistic trait as this poster claims. Therefore it is okay to discuss the culture of tamil brahmins. This poster need not jump up and down like a monkey because some one initiated a discussion.

For any group it is true that neither all will follow all the customs nor all will have all the traits etc. This is true for any group. There are going to be exceptions. That does not mean that the culture is "individualistic" -rather there are individuals who won't fit the description well as defined by culture. That is okay. It is not as if anyone is pronouncing a fatwa against these individuals. That is not TB culture. Ironically, these people, who jump up and down like a monkey, fawn over the religions that do pronounce fatwa on these type of issues!

The reference to earlier threads prove that this poster has this kind of reaction anytime a discussion on TB culture is initiated. Why is he so insecure, only God knows perhaps.

When we grew up, learning some sort of classical art is emphasized. A lot of our relatives, if not exponents, at least understood carnatic music. We can encourage the newer generation to continue this tradition.

Someone mentioned association with kanchi mutts etc. When brahmins started moving away from their homeland, many families lost their connection to their mutt. Now technology has greatly reduced the distance even between different countries. This connection can now be rekindled.

Teaching slokas to kids has never been easier. Everything is available in youtube.

So many such things that were part of TB culture, the community can focus on again.

Ignore the naysayers.

Mr KB,

You have made excellent suggestions for specific aspects of a TB culture found in many TB families. This does not mean other cultures and castes cannot follow them (but that is not the point of this thread)

To quote Mr Brahmanyan - essence of Brahmin life style as said in Gita is "Austerity, purity, patience, integrity, knowledge, wisdom, and belief in a hereafter—these are the intrinsic qualities of work for Brahmins. "

It occurred to me something that may be obvious to many thoughtful people here already.

The genius of TB culture is that it took the above values mentioned in Gita and codified to something that can be followed in one's life. I have been learning since coming to this forum by looking up things.

So the aspects of the culture worth preserving are those that are able to live and propagate a "Satvic lifestyle". That is the genius of the culture

For example, if it is Carnatic music, it is about Bhakthi of some kind. There can be differences in the actual God form one may worship but worship is promoted by Carnatic music .

You mentioned teaching kids about sloka recitation. Again it teaches certain attitudes. We also do not kick books etc by feet because we are taught to see god in all those (Saraswathi)

Vegetarian food is good for mind, and body health. As mentioned in another thread in the food section it teaches everyone in the culture about Ahimsa.

There can be variations in families but by and large TB culture promotes Satvic mindset, and lifestyle.

Now I myself and my family are vegetarians. I have done social drinking but I will give that up since it is not satvic and it is not an important part of my life anyway. (I have done things decades earlier like having had girl friends etc , one even wanted to marry me (at America that is). But those days of hormones ruling the thinking are gone). I still do not know the answer as to how the TB culture is not consistent with young people wanting to date etc,

Most marry late and want independence in deciding their life partners. This is true in India also.
So there has to be a happy medium in dealing with these realities.

I am also not sure how to deal with unreasonable and abusive people. If it is ignorance it is one thing but when coupled with pride and arrogance it is not easy. My instincts have been to deal an appropriate blow so the issue is addressed. But that is not a Satvic response.

Satvic values in a culture cannot be viewed as a weakness. But delivering the right response is needed often when dealing with unreasonable people in our lives. Most TB families took the path to run away from Tamil Nadu. Perhaps there are better answers

Welcome comments (but not from the usual suspects that want to come here and fillibuster such discussions with useless/caustic comments).

Obviously there is a misunderstanding of the term Guest.
We are all Guests in TB Forum. We do not get to make the rules.
If anyone does not like the rules laid down, they are free to leave or request a change of rule.

I have NEVER seen Sri Praveen the owner/administrator address the "Members" as "guests", so why this "GUEST" nomenclature is thrust upon other members, I cannot fathom.

As found umpteen times in the past, the "Host" formulates rules or changes in the rules in consultation with the participants. So to give the option of "leaving" the forum to one "guest" by another "guest" is akin to usurping the authority of the "Host"

Mr KB,

You have made excellent suggestions for specific aspects of a TB culture found in many TB families. This does not mean other cultures and castes cannot follow them (but that is not the point of this thread)

To quote Mr Brahmanyan - essence of Brahmin life style as said in Gita is "Austerity, purity, patience, integrity, knowledge, wisdom, and belief in a hereafter—these are the intrinsic qualities of work for Brahmins. "

It occurred to me something that may be obvious to many thoughtful people here already.

The genius of TB culture is that it took the above values mentioned in Gita and codified to something that can be followed in one's life. I have been learning since coming to this forum by looking up things.

So the aspects of the culture worth preserving are those that are able to live and propagate a "Satvic lifestyle". That is the genius of the culture

For example, if it is Carnatic music, it is about Bhakthi of some kind. There can be differences in the actual God form one may worship but worship is promoted by Carnatic music .

You mentioned teaching kids about sloka recitation. Again it teaches certain attitudes. We also do not kick books etc by feet because we are taught to see god in all those (Saraswathi)

Vegetarian food is good for mind, and body health. As mentioned in another thread in the food section it teaches everyone in the culture about Ahimsa.

There can be variations in families but by and large TB culture promotes Satvic mindset, and lifestyle.

Now I myself and my family are vegetarians. I have done social drinking but I will give that up since it is not satvic and it is not an important part of my life anyway. (I have done things decades earlier like having had girl friends etc , one even wanted to marry me (at America that is). But those days of hormones ruling the thinking are gone). I still do not know the answer as to how the TB culture is not consistent with young people wanting to date etc,

Most marry late and want independence in deciding their life partners. This is true in India also.
So there has to be a happy medium in dealing with these realities.

I am also not sure how to deal with unreasonable and abusive people. If it is ignorance it is one thing but when coupled with pride and arrogance it is not easy. My instincts have been to deal an appropriate blow so the issue is addressed. But that is not a Satvic response.

Satvic values in a culture cannot be viewed as a weakness. But delivering the right response is needed often when dealing with unreasonable people in our lives. Most TB families took the path to run away from Tamil Nadu. Perhaps there are better answers

Welcome comments (but not from the usual suspects that want to come here and fillibuster such discussions with useless/caustic comments).

Dear friend,

It is my view any person who follows a disciplined life with compassion and truth is a good human being. It's important that Brahmins as an educated class should adhere to these qualities and show the way to all others.

In recent times, among many others one person showed us how to lead a simple life of high ideals of a Tamil Brahmin. He was Mahmahopadyaya U.V.Swaminatha Aiyar. His autobiography என் சரித்திரம் (My Biography) is a wonderful book. I would suggest every Tamil Brahmin should read to understand how our previous generation lived.
Another book that will guide the present day Tamil Brahmins is " The Dialogues with the Guru", selected questions and answers with the H.H. Chandrasekhar's Bharati, Maha Samigal, of Sringeri Saradha Peedam. Acharya clarifys all our doubts.

Both these books are available in Pdf format to down load.

https://www.projectmadurai.org/pm_etexts/utf8/pmuni0544_01.html
http://srisharada.com/QA/QA.htm

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Dear friend,

It is my view any person who follows a disciplined life with compassion and truth is a good human being. It's important that Brahmins as an educated class should adhere to these qualities and show the way to all others.

In recent times, among many others one person showed us how to lead a simple life of high ideals of a Tamil Brahmin. He was Mahmahopadyaya U.V.Swaminatha Aiyar. His autobiography என் சரித்திரம் (My Biography) is a wonderful book. I would suggest every Tamil Brahmin should read to understand how our previous generation lived.
Another book that will guide the present day Tamil Brahmins is " The Dialogues with the Guru", selected questions and answers with the H.H. Chandrasekhar's Bharati, Maha Samigal, of Sringeri Saradha Peedam. Acharya clarifys all our doubts.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Brahmanyanji,

Your suggestions are applicable to all human beings, and they are wonderful.
They are not TB specific.
As admitted by OP, you can break all TB culture rules (like eating NV food, Drinking Alcohol, having sex outside of marriage etc) and still calling themselves Brahmins.
In addition not following dress codes, not going to temple every day, not doing daily prayers etc.
What TB culture is being preserved or lamented?
So why not allow the same freedom (and some more) to the future generations.

Instead of admitting the mistakes and criticism of the OP, the poster is just doubling down (very typical Trump).

Again Name one specific culture that is uniquely common to Tamil Brahmins alone.

Going to Temple, or place of worship is common in all religion. Chanting prayer is common in all religions.

Being vegetarian is common to many Hindus, Jains, and Buddhists. Again not specific to Tamil Brahmins.
But there are TB who eat NV.
Majority of TB and others do not drink alcohol, but some TB's do.
............. and on and on.

few think that by shouting louder than the person asking a question, they can get away from answering a simple question.

What is a unique and universal trait of Tamil Brahmin?

Dear friend,

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Dear Brahmanyan sir, don't provide such references. Some idiot may call you or even the references as chamacha. Lol!

Latest ads

Back