• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

We came to US to become Americans not Indian-Americans, says Bobby Jindal

Status
Not open for further replies.
JR Ji –

In the USA, few of the shows are good, almost all the rest are bad. In India, some shows are bad, the rest are good.

One cannot just watch sports, science channels in life & get on, so the Indian kids born in the west are exposed to all these mainstream shows. In almost all the channels, religion & its discussions is not shown nor entertained. Infact, they go to the extent of saying, lets keep religion out of all discussions.

And there is NO religion taught in schools or colleges or homes, no culture or tradition linked to religion is taught. So all these Indian kids in the west come up without any foundation in religion, good vs bad, culture,traditions, etc..

so they come out of school saying – win at all costs, good or bad, winning matters etc… being bad is good, etc.. some such junk messages. Almost all of them drink in school, almost all exposed to teen college sex, drugs etc… every western movie based on school /college kids talk about only this!

So what if there are some people in the west who do “good” in their lives?, Most live “lives of moral bankruptcy” without any roots in religion, culture, etc.. Society as a whole is a mess in the USA & West.

In India, 100s of TV channel particularly south based channels cover religious preaching’s, discourse, temple rituals, festivals,etc.. on a daily basis.

You are basing your opinion about yourself & your kids, maybe 1 or 2 more such families, the rest of the forum members have seen 1000s of spoilt kids of NRIs actively encouraged by their parents to reject all that is Indian.

Your so called Whites from west, are flooding all the religious schools in the East, India, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Japan etc..after having lived a debased life in the west. So they themselves are saying –we want to embrace east & you want to be more loyal than the King???? LOL!!

Sorry to say, this is an argument, you cannot win. Pl note,none of the other NRIs in this forum have joined your cause, & they have quietly deserted this thread coz they are all well aware of the leela, gana,lola that happens there !! LOL !!

Last edited:
Dear Jaykay,

OMG! I love Two and Half men! I simply love Charlie Sheen cos even in real life he is exactly as what he portrays on the show.

So its all about being yourself...good or bad that is what we are.

It is much better than having double standards.

BTW I wonder why sex is viewed as bad? Isnt it just part of life?

Also at least in Western movies sex is direct and no nonsense..not like some Indian movies where everyone is a desperado waiting for the 1st night and full of rape scenes!LOL

Last edited:
Namaste JK sir,

Religion does not always "guarantee" humanitarian values. I do not equate religiosity with being a 'good person'. I see that a common Westerner is very much the same as an Indian man - having same aspirations, values and goals in life, most importantly, behaving much alike to situations. This shows that religion, if at all, plays only an insignificant role in the development of human values in a man. I would never neglect a milliion charitable souls out there in the West. That is gross misrepresentation! Saying that only people in India are 'good' people because they are religious and everyone in the West are 'bad' people is sheer absurdity.

I think the NRIs are keeping quiet because they cannot find DILs and SILs from same community out in the West and for the sake of 'religion'. To me, both the factors are not mandatory (this despite the fact that I am pretty religious). When it comes to morality, not all (or MOST) are NOT taking to illicit or premarital or teen sex, drugs, etc. I don't know the exact equation but NRI kids in the West are doing really, really well. I wouldn't brand a whole Western population like you have.

I rest my case here. :)

Last edited:
I fully agree Sir.

When I intend to look at the West, the thought always arises in me that 'wherever people are, they are bound by laws of karma alone and nothing else'. I see so many eminent scientists, humanitarians, dedicated researchers, simply good people belonging to all walks of life... and I tend to think that each and every single person acts as per his destiny alone, and surely there are good influences in the West as much as in the East to produce such people too..

I agree with your view point Mam. But then why the dashAvatAras all happened in BhArata VarShe. Bharatha Khande and not in other places?

Maybe they did!

For example take the example of the Matsya avatar who saved the good people from the great flood. If only Indians were saved, where did the present day Chinese, European and Africans come from?

This is not so far-fetched. Noah's flood story is almost exactly the same Hindu flood story.

JR Ji –

In the USA, few of the shows are good, almost all the rest are bad. In India, some shows are bad, the rest are good.

One cannot just watch sports, science channels in life & get on, so the Indian kids born in the west are exposed to all these mainstream shows. In almost all the channels, religion & its discussions is not shown nor entertained. Infact, they go to the extent of saying, lets keep religion out of all discussions.

And there is NO religion taught in schools or colleges or homes, no culture or tradition linked to religion is taught. So all these Indian kids in the west come up without any foundation in religion, good vs bad, culture,traditions, etc..

so they come out of school saying – win at all costs, good or bad, winning matters etc… being bad is good, etc.. some such junk messages. Almost all of them drink in school, almost all exposed to teen college sex, drugs etc… every western movie based on school /college kids talk about only this!

So what if there are some people in the west who do “good” in their lives?, Most live “lives of moral bankruptcy” without any roots in religion, culture, etc.. Society as a whole is a mess in the USA & West.

In India, 100s of TV channel particularly south based channels cover religious preaching’s, discourse, temple rituals, festivals,etc.. on a daily basis.

You are basing your opinion about yourself & your kids, maybe 1 or 2 more such families, the rest of the forum members have seen 1000s of spoilt kids of NRIs actively encouraged by their parents to reject all that is Indian.

Your so called Whites from west, are flooding all the religious schools in the East, India, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Japan etc..after having lived a debased life in the west. So they themselves are saying –we want to embrace east & you want to be more loyal than the King???? LOL!!

Sorry to say, this is an argument, you cannot win. Pl note,none of the other NRIs in this forum have joined your cause, & they have quietly deserted this thread coz they are all well aware of the leela, gana,lola that happens there !! LOL !!
hi

according to ur view...EVERY FAMILY AND CHILD MUST WATCH SRI SANKARA TV DAILY IN USA AND OTHER WESTERN

COUNTRIES,,,LOL

Last edited:
JR Ji –

LOL My friend -
Many "issues" you complain are in all countries.
But you protest too much! So here is another truth illustrated by this story . I cut and paste just for you from the webb
One hot summer's day a Fox was strolling through an orchard till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which had been trained over a lofty branch. "Just the thing to quench my thirst," quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: "I am sure they are sour."
Moral of Aesops Fable: It is easy to despise what you cannot get
The Fox and the Grapes Fable
An Aesop's Fable
With a Moral

There are some who can only get glimpse of the west from seeing web sites and movies. They longingly look at the NRI and the west with jealousy but can never hope to go there or live there. So they despise everyone and hope the NRIs are suffering.

Back to topic of Jindal please!

TBS Garu – why not? if all the countries watch Shankara TV, theywill be an enlightened lot & live a moral life than the immoral one today. Itis their loss, for not watching it!!

a-TB, It is not a question of sour grapes, West is a“melting pot of disaster!!. Many, many NRI families with great traditions inIndia have been lost & destroyed to the corrosive culture of the west.

Parents in the west migrate from one sex partner toanother, drag their kids all over, & their kids follow the same debasedculture. Except for a few evangelicals, none of them have any concept offamilies, religion, etc… Seeing the whites, our NRIs jump even more &embrace that culture!! LOL !

JR - Can you pl enlightenthe people in this forum on how will you teach the kids – right vs wrong, howsinning is dangerous to ourselves in the long run, etc.. without religion, God?

Last edited:
TBS - what is there to laugh ? if Bible TV can be shown all over the world, why not Shankara TV ? Pl do not mock our culture !!

There are some who can only get glimpse of the west from seeing web sites and movies. They longingly look at the NRI and the west with jealousy but can never hope to go there or live there. So they despise everyone and hope the NRIs are suffering.

This smugness is what alienates NRIs more than any other thing.

Thereare some who can only get glimpse of the west from seeing web sites and movies.They longingly look at the NRI and the west with jealousy but can never hope togo there or live there. So they despise everyone and hope the NRIs are suffering.

Pipedream :llama: my friend, those days are long gone!. On the contrary, NRIs longingly look at the Indians with jealousy who are living a full life with its richness of culture, traditions, religion, festivals, get togethers, family functions. NRIs can never hope to come here or live because life has long taken a full turn due to the debased culture in the USA. LOL !!

Isnt it why NRIs come to haunt this site to reconnect to what was, what has been, what is long lost… what could have been… & what will never be… LOL !!

Sayonara Indeed !!

LOL !!

Last edited:
Infact Indians in India are far more richer given the levelof corporate salaries compared to the living costs. For most conservatives, thesavings are far far higher compared to the NRIs. Indians are the largest global travelers today, most of the people in corporate jobs today go on 2 to 3 abroad vacations in a year !!

On the other hand, most NRIs are struggling & eking out a living, trying to make ends meet all their lives with house debt, credit debt etc... More & more NRIs are unable to hold the jobs given the global competition, & they are depending on food stamps. Some have already started returning back to eat in Amma Canteens – subsided food. LOL !!

Not to mention the impending US sovereign collapse, will lead to an exodus of all NRIs to TN for Amma canteen food.

LOL !!

Last edited:
Excellent points Jaykay. Starting from their societies to their families, there is too much emphasis on the individual unit without much consideration for building the necessary interconnectedness. All sorts of unexpected problems can crop up because of this. Since they fail to see the fundamental harmony in nature they are fascinated by force and believe anything can be conquered by the use of force. All these are recipe for self destruction and if I am correct that is what seems to be happening to them. America is definitely a declining force and in a short period past its peak glory. Unless they take corrective actions things can get only worse.

Maybe they did!

For example take the example of the Matsya avatar who saved the good people from the great flood. If only Indians were saved, where did the present day Chinese, European and Africans come from?

This is not so far-fetched. Noah's flood story is almost exactly the same Hindu flood story.

Good one!

All JayKay can do (always) is to throw mud on NRIs without ever having lived abroad! Like what he has stated, it should be possible to list a million shortcomings of living in India. However we NRIs do not do that as we are a diplomatic and decent gang who do not thrive on constant belittling of others.

JR;281279[B said:
]All JayKay can do (always) is to throw mud on NRIs without ever having lived abroad![/B] Like what he has stated, it should be possible to list a million shortcomings of living in India. However we NRIs do not do that as we are a diplomatic and decent gang who do not thrive on constant belittling of others.

hi JR madam,

exactly....atleast we are so called NRIs never throw mud on others...OUR MOTTO....LIVE AND LET LIVE ....many temples

conduct /teach religious/cultural programmes in USA than any temples in india...culture/religion is AN INDIVIDUAL CHOICE...

we can't impose HINDU SHARIAT LAW EVERYWHERE.....WE ARE NOT HINDU TALIBANS....HINDUISM IS A WAY OF INDIVIDUAL

LIFE....

hi JR madam,

exactly....atleast we are so called NRIs never throw mud on others...OUR MOTTO....LIVE AND LET LIVE ....many temples

conduct /teach religious/cultural programmes in USA than any temples in india...culture/religion is AN INDIVIDUAL CHOICE...

we can't impose HINDU SHARIAT LAW EVERYWHERE.....WE ARE NOT HINDU TALIBANS....HINDUISM IS A WAY OF INDIVIDUAL

LIFE....

Dear Sir,

I agree some people will not like living abroad. But how many times and how many ways to keep insisting the same over and over and over again... in every thread, at every possibility?! It is sickening and shows the sick minds of some individuals.

Besides, as you said, NRIs in the West have built lots of temples, and even if they are not temple-goers, most of them are really doing very well. Western culture most certainly has bad elements in it, but whether someone will get influenced or not by it depends on parental upbringing, their socio-economic status and their individual karma. There are a lot of studious and well-disciplined folks with good marriages in the West too. Whatever it is, a part of this forum's members are NRIs and there is not need to keep throwing mud on them ALWAYS! It only shows the underlying hatred and racial supremacy of some individuals.

Dear Sir,

I agree some people will not like living abroad. But how many times and how many ways to keep insisting the same over and over and over again... in every thread, at every possibility?! It is sickening and shows the sick minds of some individuals.

Besides, as you said, NRIs in the West have built lots of temples, and even if they are not temple-goers, most of them are really doing very well. Western culture most certainly has bad elements in it, but whether someone will get influenced or not by it depends on parental upbringing, their socio-economic status and their individual karma. There are a lot of studious and well-disciplined folks with good marriages in the West too. Whatever it is, a part of this forum's members are NRIs and there is not need to keep throwing mud on them ALWAYS! It only shows the underlying hatred and racial supremacy of some individuals.

hi

just info...we had PONGAL PROGRAMME IN OUR LOCAL TEMPLE IN USA....more than 300 families attended...we had 3 hour

cultural programme with TAMIL FOLK SONGS....EVEN WHITE AMERICAN GALS SANG TAMIL SONGS WITH TAMIL VILLAGE

DANCE.....MORE THAN 150 KIDS PARTICIPATED WITH PONGALO PONGAL PROGRAMME THIS WEEKEND IN THE LOCAL TEMPLE...

i never attended in tamil nadu like this....NICE PONGAL FEAST TOO.... HERE KIDS SANG TAMIL THAI VANAKKAM SONG...

NICE TO HEAR FROM WESTERN BORN KID....even many tambram kids never know tamil thai prayer in tamil nadu...

hi

just info...we had PONGAL PROGRAMME IN OUR LOCAL TEMPLE IN USA....more than 300 families attended...we had 3 hour

cultural programme with TAMIL FOLK SONGS....EVEN WHITE AMERICAN GALS SANG TAMIL SONGS WITH TAMIL VILLAGE

DANCE.....MORE THAN 150 KIDS PARTICIPATED WITH PONGALO PONGAL PROGRAMME THIS WEEKEND IN THE LOCAL TEMPLE...

i never attended in tamil nadu like this....NICE PONGAL FEAST TOO.... HERE KIDS SANG TAMIL THAI VANAKKAM SONG...

NICE TO HEAR FROM WESTERN BORN KID....even many tambram kids never know tamil thai prayer in tamil nadu...

Dear Sir,

How nice to know! Thanks for sharing this detail for everyone to see.

I too love my "Indian life in USA" very, very much - 'cause I am blessed with living right next to a temple, enjoy taking darshan of devi Mahalakshmi every now and then, my children are blessed with 'stotra class', 'Indian culture school' and all its associated programs and festivals, there are so many NRIs here you never lack company, and given the economy is doing well, you do well at job too, there are plenty of Computer Science jobs, you earn good money for a decent living, the weather is good, there is 24/7 water supply and overall... life is good as an NRI. Ofcourse, my children may intermarry Indians from other communities, which is OK for me. And I am there, my hubby is there, we rear our children well that they don't fall victim to bad influences, which anyway is a thread EVEN IN INDIA! Atleast here, NRIs are so aware of preserving our culture, we value it a lot, whereas in India the trend is to 'go Westernized' in every situation possible and that only exposes children to bad influences!!

I dont understand this compulsion advocated by some to be totally obsessed with culture and tradition.

The most important thing in life is to not harm anyone..this does not even require culture..even an animal wont harm anyone without a valid reason.

Culture and tradition is optional...most important is having human values that need not always stem from culture and tradition.

If culture and tradition is 100% effective there would be no crime in countries who claim to uphold it.

I feel people just want to be keepers of tradition without understanding it.

For example on last week on the 15th of Jan ..as we know it was Pongal.I had many Hindu patients at my clinic trying to call in sick and faking an illness to get a medical leave so that they can be off from work and celebrate Pongal.

I did not give any sick leave to them cos they were not sick to start with.

I was just thinking that these people want to uphold tradition and culture and celebrate Pongal but start the day with falsehood by lying that they are sick to get sick leave to miss work!

If they understood culture and tradition they would NOT start the day with falsehood and understand that Work is Worship and either go to work or apply annual leave much ahead.

So you see following culture and tradition need not mean a person has values.

Last edited:
JR Ji – Pl do not confuse the issue. There is no hatred towards anyone here. Some of us are opposed to the NRI’s western lifestyle, lack of pride in one’s origin etc.. as highlighted by this Bobby Jindal guy.

We all know a minority of 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gen Indians try to keep the culture alive in the US, but the issue is not about them, but about the large majority 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gen Indians & 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]/3[SUP]rd[/SUP]gen who have given up any semblance of Indian culture, traditions.

None of the forum members have seen any violence,murders, illegal activities in their families due to the conservative upbringings in India which they continued in the US. Pl look at the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]Indian kids, they are involved in all kinds of activities which is considered unthinkable by us.

Why do these kids indulge in all these activities? , because they are not brought up in a god fearing home, they have none or less morals than the previous generation. Only thing that keeps Americans in check is the tough law there. if the laws were lax, they will indulge in anything & try to get away. Pl see how the American soldiers behave in foreign countries, you can see the immoral, illegal activities in Iraq, Abhu Graib etc…

I am surprised that one has to even explain that religion,culture, traditions, will root the kids to the ground, give them a perspective of good vs bad, & commit them to a lifetime of doing good.

Most importantly, my posts are not for the NRIs, it is for the Indians who are planning to send their kids abroad, so that they know what is in store for them !!

Last edited:
Renuka JI - LOL !! these people asking for sick leaves for pongal are innocent "appavi pasanga" kids compared to the thugs that roam this world !! you are lucky to have such people around you !!

JR Ji – Pl do not confuse the issue. There is no hatredtowards anyone here. Some of us are opposed to the NRI’s western lifestyle,lack of pride in one’s origin etc.. as highlighted by this Bobby Jindal guy.

We all know a minority of 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gen Indians tryto keep the culture alive in the US, but the issue is not about them, but aboutthe large majority 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gen Indians & 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]/3[SUP]rd[/SUP]gen who have given up any semblance of Indian culture, traditions.

None of the forum members have seen any violence,murders, illegal activities in their families due to the conservativeupbringings in India which they continued in the US. Pl look at the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]Indian kids, they are involved in all kinds of activities which is consideredunthinkable by us.

Why do these kids indulge in all these activities? , becausethey are not brought up in a god fearing home, they have none or less morals thanthe previous generation. Only thing that keeps Americans in check is the toughlaw there. if the laws were lax, they will indulge in anything & try to getaway. Pl see how the American soldiers behave in foreign countries, you can seethe immoral, illegal activities in Iraq, Abhu Graib etc…

I am surprised that one has to even explain that religion,culture, traditions, will root the kids to the ground, give them a perspectiveof good vs bad, & commit them to a lifetime of doing good.

Most importantly, my posts are not for the NRIs, it isfor the Indians who are planning to send their kids abroad, so that they knowwhat is in store for them !!
hi

abt the 2nd/3rd generation may be different in west/usa....BUT WHAT ABOUT OUR 2ND/3RD GENERATION IN INDIAN METROS...

are they really following their traditions like 1st generation in the agraharams?,,,,indian metro kids are changing...so as

EVERYTHING IS CHANGING....how many tambrams following culture/tradition as in agraharam type life in chennai?

everthing is convenience....it is applicable to all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back