• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

We came to US to become Americans not Indian-Americans, says Bobby Jindal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the Indians (NRI or PIO) in US take pride in being an Indian American or plain American..I think some of us who have migrated to US may be in such a dilemma..Food for thought

[h=1]We came to US to become Americans not Indian-Americans, says Bobby Jindal [/h]
Asserting that he didn't believe in hyphenated identities, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal has said that his parents came to the US from India four decades ago to become Americans and not Indian-Americans.

He invoked his ethnic heritage to make a call for immigrant assimilation and called people who talked about skin pigmentation as the "most dim-witted lot" around.

"My parents came in search of the American Dream, and they caught it. To them, America was not so much a place, it was an idea. My dad and mom told my brother and me that we came to America to be Americans. Not Indian-Americans, simply Americans," Jindal said in a prepared remarks that he is scheduled to deliver next week.

Jindal, the first Indian-American Governor of any American state, is scheduled to address the Henry Jackson Society on Monday in London.

Releasing the prepared remarks of Jindal's speech, his office said the Louisiana Governor will call for immigrant assimilation to strengthen countries and protect freedom.

Do the Indians (NRI or PIO) in US take pride in being an Indian American or plain American..I think some of us who have migrated to US may be in such a dilemma..Food for thought

Mr. Jindal is a politician. He was nominated by India abroad a magazine for Indian American of the year, but refused to show. I do not know his internal feelings but out worldly to win election his strategy is to keep away from Indians and he is anti-Hindu and staunch born again christian. His republican base in Louisiana is Tea-party, right wing whites.

The majority of Indians who came to USA still have strong connection to India, Indian. Most of them are Hindus.
I assume this post is not Anti-NRI, as I would not expect it from you.

You should see the celebrations of India Independence day and Republic day in every US city. I do not think people in India even care that much.

This fellow Jindal specializes in talking stupid. He is a politician. His parents went to America to explore new opportunities and nothing more. I am not sure if they are happy that he became a Christian for political reasons

Every Ethnic group here still holds on to its culture, tradition and celebrates its festival. So why not Indian Americans? The Americanization is in the "ideas" and celebrating one's heritage is not contradictory to it. Equality for all, industriousness, and some other good values are standard traits one is emphasized as an American, and I am sure our NRI's emulate them even better than native Americans.

Mr. Jindal is a politician. He was nominated by India abroad a magazine for Indian American of the year, but refused to show. I do not know his internal feelings but out worldly to win election his strategy is to keep away from Indians and he is anti-Hindu and staunch born again christian. His republican base in Louisiana is Tea-party, right wing whites.

The majority of Indians who came to USA still have strong connection to India, Indian. Most of them are Hindus.
I assume this post is not Anti-NRI, as I would not expect it from you.

You should see the celebrations of India Independence day and Republic day in every US city. I do not think people in India even care that much.

I wanted the truth to be out on Bobby Jindal who has disgraced the Indian community/Blacks/Other migrants by his insensitive utterances..Looks like he is pandering to the white interests!

Read this article on his duplicity and dubious methods!

Why Bobby Jindal wants to be white | Tehelka.com

Boby Jindal is as much Indian-american as Daud Ibrahim is Indian. Just because you are accidentally born in a skin does not make you the person you are.
The troll is back, it is almost my shadow and dark, LOL.

Bobby Jindal like most NRIs suffer from severeinferiority complex, is ashamed of his Indian origins, & does everything toerase it. Most people who migrate from here, from the start bad mouth India. Oh,look at all these problems here.. che.. che.. che.. look at the dreamland … ohla la… so white la… LOL !!

They give up everything that is Indian – religion,culture, traditions, etc… & embrace the debased American way of life – no religion,no culture, no traditions, obsessed with Sex, junk TV shows, drugs, etc…

Their kids jump even more seeing their parents &embrace that debased immoral way of life. And to top it, they are “super proud”of it !!

Indians in India who plan to send their kids abroad arebetter advised to think twice before they continue this disastrous path !!

But US Indian kids will celebrate independence day and republic day with more passion and vigour and enthu than poor native Indian kids. Some silver lining!

Vibheeshana is eulogised for surrendering to the right and the Dharma. We are Rama bhaktas and accept him because of Rama. To be frank do we accept a Vibheeshna in our life as an example? Bhishma, Dhronacharya or Karna are not seen in that bad light. For Jindal like people divided loyalty is a double edged sword? He should know how not to get hurt. In olden days person going out of a village was banished and not taken back in. "திரைகடல் ஓடியும் திரவியம் தேடு." But I think it is different here.

Bobby Jindal like most NRIs suffer from severeinferiority complex, is ashamed of his Indian origins, & does everything toerase it. Most people who migrate from here, from the start bad mouth India. Oh,look at all these problems here.. che.. che.. che.. look at the dreamland … ohla la… so white la… LOL !!

They give up everything that is Indian – religion,culture, traditions, etc… & embrace the debased American way of life – no religion,no culture, no traditions, obsessed with Sex, junk TV shows, drugs, etc…

Their kids jump even more seeing their parents &embrace that debased immoral way of life. And to top it, they are “super proud”of it !!

Indians in India who plan to send their kids abroad arebetter advised to think twice before they continue this disastrous path !!

As usual (expected) your post spits of venom of hatred against NRI's and Westerners. Many, many NRI's are not giving up our Hindu and Indian heritage (as can be evidenced by what Bobby Jindal himself quoted "that so many are lining up for India's Independence Day and Republic Day parades more than that could be seen in India itself"). Besides, India is not "living up to her heritage" these days... the same "sex, drugs, junk TV shows" are widespread all over India, that many youth are taking to them. AND still Harvard, MIT, Columbia, Brown and other IVY schools of America and the West remain sought-after by aspiring masses all over the world and if you see the crowd in them, you can see top-ranking White youth and lecturers too... and there are so many Westerners that contribute a huge sum to the welfare of the needy elsewhere in the world should there be a calamity.

So please do not paint anyone, including the West and the NRI's with a broad-brush. It is not good for yourself to carry such negative thoughts against NRIs and the Westerners always!

People are of varying kinds... to some their heritage and inheritance are of prime importance, to some others, it is not. Ultimately, how people as 'humans' matters and it does not really matter whether they perform this function as "indian" or "Westerner". Similarly, emulating Western behavior and lifestyle as Bobby Jindal does, does not always mean "doom and gloom" -- such people can still very much do well both as responsible individuals and as "successful" individuals.

The only thing wrong with what Bobby Jindal says is saying that what applies to him should apply to everyone else - for which he has no right to say so. I would say Bobby Jindals' speech is exactly like what you say, Sir, except he is on the other side!

JR - No venom in my post !. Just the truth & yes truth is unfortunately bitter ! if you can counter the points in my post & disprove it, you are welcome. Those who cannot counter argue will generally attack the writer.

So what's new from the brownie turned gora?

Disclaimer:
Though I use derogatory terms for color, I actually mean culture/heritage.

hi

this guy is politican...many indian amercans never know him...he married an amreican white gal...here every body called their parent

country...like mexican american/chineese american/ cuban american etc....nothing wrong in it...

JRji,
Some people never learn, under the guise of speaking the truth they spew venom (you called it right).

satyam bruyat priyam bruyat na bruyat satyam apriyam
priyam ca nanrutam bruyat esha dharmah sanatanah

Speak truth in such a way that it should be pleasing to others. Never speak truth, which is unpleasant to others. Never speak untruth, which might be pleasant. This is the path of eternal morality, sanatana dharma.

To speak truth is an eternal value irrespective of time and place. But the expression of truth should be accompanied by two conditions. Firstly, it should be presented in a loving manner and secondly it should be spoken for the betterment of others. How you speak is as important as what is said. Priyam means speech that does not hurt others. Hitam is something that is said for the good or betterment of others. One should be careful of speaking truth but not hurting others.

We should be careful in speaking the truth. The purpose should be good and the words used and the manners in which they are spoken are important. So the value of truthfulness is relative to a situation. According to the Indian scriptures while living in the world of relativity truth can be interpreted in many ways.

Therefore it is said that even while telling the truth, one should tell it in a pleasant manner. Even a truth should not be told in a way that will hurt the feelings of others. If it is told so, it is tantamount to untruth only. Your speech should be truthful, pleasant and beneficial.

Last edited:
Bobby Jindal is a non-starter, politician, Republican, also Indian through his parents. There are many Indian Americans who r US politicians who always claim and proud to be of Indian origin. in fact, US newspapers whether Bobby Jindal likes it or not refer all Indian-origin-Amricans as Indian-American. even in various US forms it is required to be mentioned the country of origin even if one is born in USA. Bobby Jindal is crazy; he will undertand soon about his folly - srinivasan

I think that "most NRIs..." is all too embracing. Quite a lot of NRIs are still sticking to our traditions and culture. It is only the recent immigrants, say over the past 25 years, who suddenly find that India is "dirty,congested,lawless,corrupt,etc., There are a lot of people who still celebrate our festivals/national days in nice way.
Jindal,being a politician has to talk with a forked tongue.
Just ignore them, we do not need them .They will sell their grandparents if it benefits them.
guindyvaradan

How much American he wants to be, 50 years back he would still have to sit at the back of the bus in his own home state of Louisiana.

Being an Indian no matter where we are is fine but I dont get this....why is Republic Day and Indian Independence day" being celebrated by Indians in USA when most of them are clearly US citizens?

That is the only part I disagree.

When I was in India as a student we Msian students would have a small get together for our Msian National day but it would be a very low key affair cos we know we cant hoist a Msian flag in another country cos we have to respect the other country too.

So its just some small cake cutting ceremony and at night there will be Dinner and Dance and all Indians from India also would join the ball.

Out here Indians in Msia follow culture and heritage very well....Pongal itself was a 3 day event here in a place called Little India in Brickfields.

But even then..we only celebrate August 31 st as our Independence day cos we are Msian citizens and loyalty has to be to the country we are born in.

But that does not stop anyone being a Hindu or Indian.

Last edited:
shri 420 song

jhootha japani,pantaloon englishthani,lal topi rusi,dil hai hindusthani

describes indians all over the world.

we have learnt to adapt/adopt customs,religions,dresses, eating habits of all other nations of the

world. deep inside we yearn for india of diversity,contradictions,superstitions and easy simple living

that india offers. because we are like that

Renukaji, the yearning for Indian independence day etc, is only among 1st gen naturalized US citizens. The 2nd born in the US gen wouldnt give a ....

It is sad but true that many naturalized citizens are not able to fulfill the oath they take during the naturalization ceremony that "We hereby renounce all allegiances to any other country". The one who do sometimes end up like Bobby Jindal.

I think Bobby Jindal is alluding to the Islamists who have migrated to the EU and creating a big nuisance on account of their allegiance to a fundamentalist religion...Look at the revulsion to the migrants in France, Germany etc

American/western culture is debased – the society as a whole does not care for religion, culture, traditions etc… . So what is the sugar coating required in telling this truth. ?

Should someone say – you are all doing great, but just look at your lifestyle, culture & incorporate some sense into it ??? LOL!!!

Teen sex is unacceptable!. Drugs in schools are unacceptable!.Obsession with sex is unacceptable – every TV show, movie revolves only around it, if there is a love story movie, the first thing the heroine is asked – “if you did it & how was it” – what a load of crap !!! Religion is actively discouraged;culture & traditions are mocked at. These are facts, you can counter it if I am wrong.

One NRI person told me that the greatest TV show in the USA is “two & half men”. So I watched it & was shocked at the debased behavior of the people, & the audience going gaga over it. In the US, being bad is the “in fashon”. Being Good is so so ancient !!

JR Ji – Pl note, “opposing the bad” is much more important than supporting the Good – Refer to Krishna in Bhagavad Gita. It is Good Karma to oppose the bad, so I gain Good Karma every time I warn the people about the bad things in the west. On the contrary, you supporting the bad culture of West & NRIs is Bad Karma!!

By talking so positively about the west, more & more innocent Indian families are lost, destroyed. So it is important to highlight the “cons” as much as the so called “pros”.

If our kids indulge in drugs, it is time for tough talk & action. & Not sugar coat the truth !!

Last edited:
JRji,
Some people never learn, under the guise of speaking the truth they spew venom (you called it right).

satyam bruyat priyam bruyat na bruyat satyam apriyam
priyam ca nanrutam bruyat esha dharmah sanatanah

Speak truth in such a way that it should be pleasing to others. Never speak truth, which is unpleasant to others. Never speak untruth, which might be pleasant. This is the path of eternal morality, sanatana dharma.

To speak truth is an eternal value irrespective of time and place. But the expression of truth should be accompanied by two conditions. Firstly, it should be presented in a loving manner and secondly it should be spoken for the betterment of others. How you speak is as important as what is said. Priyam means speech that does not hurt others. Hitam is something that is said for the good or betterment of others. One should be careful of speaking truth but not hurting others.

We should be careful in speaking the truth. The purpose should be good and the words used and the manners in which they are spoken are important. So the value of truthfulness is relative to a situation. According to the Indian scriptures while living in the world of relativity truth can be interpreted in many ways.

Therefore it is said that even while telling the truth, one should tell it in a pleasant manner. Even a truth should not be told in a way that will hurt the feelings of others. If it is told so, it is tantamount to untruth only. Your speech should be truthful, pleasant and beneficial.

I fully agree Sir.

When I intend to look at the West, the thought always arises in me that 'wherever people are, they are bound by laws of karma alone and nothing else'. I see so many eminent scientists, humanitarians, dedicated researchers, simply good people belonging to all walks of life... and I tend to think that each and every single person acts as per his destiny alone, and surely there are good influences in the West as much as in the East to produce such people too..

JK brings to our attention "2 and a half men" -- I have watched that show too and I didn't like it too. But that being 'popular' does not 'define the entire West'. Sometime back I posted in Chit Chat section, the most popular Vijay TV show of 'Super Singer Junior' and how it exploits little children. And then again, another TV show where many, many women are selfishly discussing their Sari hoarding and saying things like "they do not like a sweeper wearing the same sari", etc, and all people, including myself, watching it and laughing at it. This does not mean that all of us or Indian society by itself is "selfish to the core". Not 1 TV program defines anything! There are also numerous science shows, America's got Talent, good news being broadcasted, that open one's mind to all good things on life, more so than the 'only Cinema oriented TV shows' of India. And these Cinemas do not portray anything good either, just some regular masala with a lot of vulgar double-meaning dialogues and implicit sexuality. Just like one would say that they do not define our India, so also some/few shows of the West does not define living and growing up children in the entire West.

According to me, the West is a good/decent place to live and bring up children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back