• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Ways to perform Shraddham in these Covid times

Hi,

My mother's shraddham is falling on Wednesday, 8th July. I had earlier booked an appointment with a Matam where we usually perform the annual rites.

Given the current Covid situation and infections, we prefer not to visit the Matam as there is a cluster of infection in that area.

What is the bare minimum we can do for performing the Shraddham. Is it ok to give Rice, Vazhakkai and money to vaathiyar's?

Seeking guidance from experts. We are Vadakalai Iyengar in case it is required for recommendation.

I wish to share my thoughts as an amature since I do not know much about the Shastras dealing with this subject. As I understand, when ever a doubt araises such as this, it is said that the reference should be made to the followings in the same order of preference. 1) What us said in the Vedas, 2) As advised by your Guru, 3) As being done or followed by the learned/reputed persons around 4) As per your wisdom /conscience.
Changes happening in society and in the way of our life are inevitable. The Sanatana Dharma (which provides flexibility to families to worship their own Ishata Devatha and observe their own customs and practices) has builtin course correction tool in it. While the new born becomes dwija (twice born) after upanayanam and starts learning under the guidance of his guru (as called Brahmachari), becomes a Grahasta (family man) after marriage, he retires from his family life and becomes Vanaprasti (a Forest dweller) and later becomes Sanyasi, These two later phases of life have become extinct for various reasons. The role of vanaprasthi is to practice detachment from social bondage and indulge in active reasearch as to study the nature and to verify whether the way of life practiced by his familiy is in consonance with the nature. He later returns to this family / village and share his findings with his successors to make the required course corrections in thier way of life. These are accepted by the successors and the required changes are made. This course corections occur generations after generations keeping the way of life updated suitably only after time tested practices and unbchiased reasearch by the senior members of the family. It is learned that people stopped going to the Forest fearing dangers of attack by the invaders (muslims) who reportedly capatured such old men and forced them to be their slaves or converted them to their belief. The Vanaprasthis hence stopped living inside house but spend their time in the front verandahs (Thinnai) practicing detachment . They were asked for guidance as and when required. The practice of consulting elders continue even today but how far the elders can advise (with limitted wisdom) is best known to themselves.
The last part of life, Sanyasin, is after lived a full life and is devoted to attain moksham. They usually do not identify people for what they are but only as children of God. They dont seek to know the identify of any one. Usually Abivadaye is not chanted when prostrating infront of Sanyasi. You may be doing so infront of Shankaracharyas. They are Acharyas (not sanyasins in its real tearm and have different roles to play).
I am saying all these only to emphasis that a real debate should take place to explore the possibilites of changes required in our life to suit the present contest (not only on account of Covid 19) but the changes other wise happening in our life style. Changes made to the practice is not often recommended for fear of errosion of traditions. It is a truth that several practices and traditions have vanished and their values all together forgotten. It is better to retain the value system with measured changes rather than losing the traditions along with their associated values.
With regards to Shraddam (That which is performed with unshaken faith and complete attenstion) , it is a ritual to remember the departed souls and assumably invite them to our house. give them earnest respects and a good treat and seek their blessings. The methodologies prescribed may change but the faith and attention in doing what we can for the departed parents / grand parents, should not change or be compromised. We owe our existence to our parents and grand parents and let their spirits guide us for ever,

Sri Rangan swamin!!!!
Dasan .
There is provision to do perform "DHATHAM" incase if you are not able to perform Thiruvadyanam.dont worry.
Recently we also did the same way due to "Corona"details are given below for your ready reference.
1)Any how you have to do with purohit .(Vadyar) Either he should come to your house or you have to visit his place(provided he agree for your visit).
Snanam,Madi vastram sandyavandhanam's(morning & Noon),Thirvaradhanam If prohit comes to your house he will perform Thirvaradhanam .Perumal Dheertham should not take before you perform Dhatham.

Vadyar sambhavanai +Hiranya Dhanam Plantain leaf,Coconut =1,(Rice(minimum )1 k.g,1/4 k.g pasi paruppu ,Vellam Vazhaikai 1 no,Sepankizhagu 1/4kg,Avari or pudali (minimum qty)(the reason one swamy should ate),
vetrilai ,pakku,pazham sombu,kolabhadram(Dheertha pathram)(for tharpanam+aachamaniyam) inaddition you have to offer Yadha sakthi Dhakshinai for swami.
If purohit himself taking this Dhattham. you have to offer vadyar sampavani and Hirnya Dhattham sambavani also separately.
Finally both kartha and pathni to pay SHASTANGA NAMASKARAM,with kids also(if all there) to prohith.
If you want any assistance you contact to my younger brother K.Balaji ( who stays in west mambalam. He will help you swamin. or you call me(8639690253) I will also inform.
Adiyen dasan,
K.govindan

Hi,

My mother's shraddham is falling on Wednesday, 8th July. I had earlier booked an appointment with a Matam where we usually perform the annual rites.

Given the current Covid situation and infections, we prefer not to visit the Matam as there is a cluster of infection in that area.

What is the bare minimum we can do for performing the Shraddham. Is it ok to give Rice, Vazhakkai and money to vaathiyar's?

Seeking guidance from experts. We are Vadakalai Iyengar in case it is required for recommendation.
You, please go through the reply of K.Gopalan Swamy to Sri Ms.Narayanans other issue .
You can also contact Sri Vaishnava kendram for all spiritual doubts .

I had the same problem recently for performing my eldest brothers sradam. The vadyar told me to perform via Wattsapp.He will get two vadyars who regularly come for Srardam to his house. He bought vazhakkai, rice, betel leaf,nut, plantain fruit, and with Dakshinai give to the vadyar and he will show that through Vedio .He will take his Dakshinai ,by showing it. I sent the amount to his bank account by NEFT. I telephoned to a Sastrigal in Banaras whom I knew to check if it is ok. He said it is the only way to do and it is to be performed on the Thithi without leaving it.This is what can be done max. That day I took betel leaves. Nuts, plantain .some Dakshinai and gave to three kurukkals in a nearby temple.

My mother's first year Sharrdha was in April end. Due to COVID lock down we couldn't do it.We want to do it along with all Dhana's being first year.Please give us your expert view and solution to the problem as things are getting from bad to worst day by day.

Latest ads

Back