• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vow to speak Brahmin Tamil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my guess is...

since our people have a affinity to Sanskrit, but they do not know how to use it. So they fall to Hindi (a close relative of Sanskrit).

I wish to inform that "SAMSKRITHA BHARATHI" conduct classes for all ages even without basic knowledge in that language at selected centers for a fortnight. they are very useful for conversation in that language for information contact "brahmana sangam'

Last edited:
Dear R.R
To tell I am free,not doing anything now, normally the Telugu speaking people say Nenu ippudu oorka unnaanu.
Dear Sir,

We lived in Vizag for nearly 6 years and I can speak Telugu also. Our ladies club members used to say 'nEnu kAligA unnAnu; meeru randi' very often, to invite a friend during their free time.

The 'interview episode' is true and happened in my very close circle!!

Moral of the story (!)... Learn to speak good English! :cool:

Raji Ram

முன்னோர் கண்டது:
Automobile = தானுந்து, தானியங்கு ஊர்தி

இன்னும்:
Car = சீருந்து, மகிழ்வுந்து

நான் auto rickshaw வுக்கு வைத்த செல்லப் பெயர்: 'ஆட்டுந்து' (ஆட்டி ஆட்டி ஓட்டுவதால்! + Rhymes with Auto)
:bump2:

I heard Suba. Vera. Pandian translating motorcycle as "thul-undu" -- the vehicle that jumps!

Rgds,
Swami

'nEnu kAligA unnAnu; meeru randi'

One must be careful in using "randi" within the hearing range of people from hindi - speaking areas as it connotes something very objectionable -- though it appears that word was borrowed from telugu.

Regards,
Swami

Thank your Prof. Sir, for your compliment (again!)

I call my write-ups as 'Misra Kavithai', since I use English words wherever necessary.

{In the North Indian music, a rAgA which has swarAs other than the ones supposed to be used, has the prefix 'misra'. (eg) misra mAnd}

Regards,
Raji Ram

I think what you intend to say is that in Hindustani music there is already a raga with specified swaras in order (both arohana & in avarohana), and when a little deviation of swara is resorted to, a "misra" is prefixed like say in "Misra Yaman".

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rgds,
Swami

dear members,
mummy/daddy are the words i hear in many friend's place.
these words are banned in our household.( our children do not use these words- even the UK/USA bred children)
it is so good when i call out AMMA
pranam
eswaran

My children follow a unique pracitice. They calle me "Daddy" and their mother, "amma". But while talking to their mother, they use the word, "annaa" to refer to me. I was addressing my father, "annaa". As members may be aware, many Telugu brahmins have the habit of addressing their father as "annaa" while a common form is "naanaa" or "naainaa".

Loka samasta sukhino bavantu.

I think what you intend to say is that in Hindustani music there is already a raga with specified swaras in order (both arohana & in avarohana), and when a little deviation of swara is resorted to, a "misra" is prefixed like say in "Misra Yaman".

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rgds,
Swami
Yes Sir,

There is a specified swara setting for ArOhaNA and avarOhaNA of each rAgA. When they deviate a bit, the prefix MISRA is given.

In the example I gave, rAgA 'mAnd' is derived from 'sankarAbaraNam'. Beauty is enhanced by the addition of 'sAdhAraNa gAndhAram' and 'suddha dhaivatham' (we call it 'chinna ga' and 'chinna dha'), which gives us 'misra mAnd'.

Regards,
Raji Ram

One must be careful in using "randi" within the hearing range of people from hindi - speaking areas as it connotes something very objectionable -- though it appears that word was borrowed from telugu.

Regards,
Swami
When our mother visited us (me and my sister VR) at Vizag, she got very offended when our friend welcomed her saying 'randi, randi'.

Mom knows only Hindi and absolutely no Telugu! Then we had to explain! . . :blabla:

My children follow a unique pracitice. They calle me "Daddy" and their mother, "amma". But while talking to their mother, they use the word, "annaa" to refer to me. I was addressing my father, "annaa". As members may be aware, many Telugu brahmins have the habit of addressing their father as "annaa" while a common form is "naanaa" or "naainaa".

Loka samasta sukhino bavantu.

Thats very interesting. I called my mother mummy for the longest time and now still do in private. In public its Ma and my father nana.

Even in my family(from Tamilnadu) we call father as 'anna' and mother as 'amma'.In earlier days we all have lived in joint family system.Our 'chittappas' (younger brother of father) call elder brother as'anna' only.
Children would have followed this custom.
I find there is no uniform word used by wife's to call their husbands.In some houses wifes call husbands as'Kanna'.Recently I visited a Tamil Brahmin house in New Delhi.I was surprised to see father addressing his wife
'Anand's (THEIR SON"S NAME) mother' and mother calling husband as'Anand's father'.It was quite interesting.

My sister's sons call her 'mommy' and their father 'appaa'.

Since we lived in the same township in Vizag, my son started calling my sister as 'mommy' and me as 'ammaa'.

In many areas, there prevails the practice of calling any mother or father by referring to the name of the children.

For one of my friends, Rajimmaa means me and Raji ammaa means my ammaa!

:cool:
Raji Ram

Yes Sir,

There is a specified swara setting for ArOhaNA and avarOhaNA of each rAgA. When they deviate a bit, the prefix MISRA is given.

In the example I gave, rAgA 'mAnd' is derived from 'sankarAbaraNam'. Beauty is enhanced by the addition of 'sAdhAraNa gAndhAram' and 'suddha dhaivatham' (we call it 'chinna ga' and 'chinna dha'), which gives us 'misra mAnd'.

Regards,
Raji Ram

Thank you very much for your reply.

We in south do not seem to have a practice of referring as "Misra ...". Only in Brindavani and Brindavana Saranga the listeners can identify the name-swarupa closeness. Ragas very close like Abogi-Sriranjani, Durbar-Nayaki, the corresponding affinity in names are not to be found.
I have not learnt music, nor am I conversant with the technical details, but just an avid listener. I am yet to come across any carnatic artiste sing Misra Mand. If you could point out any, I shall indeed be thankful.

With warm regards,
Swami

Even in my family(from Tamilnadu) we call father as 'anna' and mother as 'amma'.In earlier days we all have lived in joint family system.Our 'chittappas' (younger brother of father) call elder brother as'anna' only.
Children would have followed this custom.
I find there is no uniform word used by wife's to call their husbands.In some houses wifes call husbands as'Kanna'.Recently I visited a Tamil Brahmin house in New Delhi.I was surprised to see father addressing his wife
'Anand's (THEIR SON"S NAME) mother' and mother calling husband as'Anand's father'.It was quite interesting.

Even in my home, my parents do not address each other by names. They would call " ... mother" or "...father". Most times my mother addresses her husband as "anna". It is not that they are an ideal couple, in fact far from that, they cannot converse mutually for more than 10-15 minutes smoothly!

Regards,
Swami

Till some years ago only Brahmin Community used to call their fathers "Appa", and most of the other communities called their father by "Ayya", "Appachi", "Naynaa" and "Aatha" for mother. Interestingly only the Tamil Muslims use "Atthaa" the term we find in 'Thevaram' for father. It is my view that the term "Appa" and "Amma" must have been adopted from Ab, Abba, meaning father and "Um" and "Umma" for mother in Semitic Languages. Interestingly in Indo-Aryan languages words for Mother and Father are derived from root "matr" and "pitr", which has become "Ma" and "Pa" in colloquial usage in India.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Even in my home, my parents do not address each other by names. They would call " ... mother" or "...father". Most times my mother addresses her [COLOR=#DA7911 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=#DA7911 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]husband[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] as "anna". It is not that they are an ideal [COLOR=#DA7911 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=#DA7911 ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]couple[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR], in fact far from that, they cannot converse mutually for more than 10-15 minutes smoothly!

Must be a Guinness record! I know of couples who cant talk for more than

10 to 15 seconds, without creating effects of Deepaavali fire works!
:flame:

Thank you very much for your reply.

We in south do not seem to have a practice of referring as "Misra ...". Only in Brindavani and Brindavana Saranga the listeners can identify the name-swarupa closeness. Ragas very close like Abogi-Sriranjani, Durbar-Nayaki, the corresponding affinity in names are not to be found.
I have not learnt music, nor am I conversant with the technical details, but just an avid listener. I am yet to come across any carnatic artiste sing Misra Mand. If you could point out any, I shall indeed be thankful.

With warm regards,
Swami
Dear Sir,

Veena maestro Dr. Chitti Babu's famous 'cuckoo song' is set to Misra mAnd. He was kind enough to give the lyrics of the song, when my father took me and my younger sister to meet him in 1975. He told us that he was fondly called by his fans overseas, as 'cuckoo call fellow!'

Mr. A. R. Rahman has set an outstanding tune for the song 'sowkkiyamaa' in the film 'sangamam', in the same ragaa.

'misra' becomes a prefix, when the 'other' swaram in one or more of the existing ri, ga, ma, dha, ni of the rAga is added.

But we can give equations as:

Sriranjanai = AbOgi + kaisiki nishAdham

BrindAvana SArangA = BrindAvani + sAdharaNa gAndhAram in avarOhanam (S n p m r g r s )

DurbAr and NAyaki have same set of swarams but differ in the way the swarams are sung. More over, 'g g- r s' and 'n n- d p' are used repeatedly in DurbAr whereas, Nayaki has glides in ga and ni.

I remember one joke by the great maestro Sri. Ariyakkudi Ramanuja Iyengar.

When one of his fans commented after his concert, 'உங்க தர்பாரிலே நாயகி வந்தாளே!'.(unga dharbArilE nAyaki vandhAlE!)

The maestro replied, 'நாயகி இல்லாம தர்பார் எப்படி சோபிக்கும், ஐயா?' (nAyaki illaame dharbAr eppadi sObikkum, aiyA?) :thumb:

Regards,
Raji Ram

Dear Sir,

Veena maestro Dr. Chitti Babu's famous 'cuckoo song' is set to Misra mAnd. He was kind enough to give the lyrics of the song, when my father took me and my younger sister to meet him in 1975. He told us that he was fondly called by his fans overseas, as 'cuckoo call fellow!'

Mr. A. R. Rahman has set an outstanding tune for the song 'sowkkiyamaa' in the film 'sangamam', in the same ragaa.

'misra' becomes a prefix, when the 'other' swaram in one or more of the existing ri, ga, ma, dha, ni of the rAga is added.

But we can give equations as:

Sriranjanai = AbOgi + kaisiki nishAdham

BrindAvana SArangA = BrindAvani + sAdharaNa gAndhAram in avarOhanam (S n p m r g r s )

DurbAr and NAyaki have same set of swarams but differ in the way the swarams are sung. More over, 'g g- r s' and 'n n- d p' are used repeatedly in DurbAr whereas, Nayaki has glides in ga and ni.

I remember one joke by the great maestro Sri. Ariyakkudi Ramanuja Iyengar.

When one of his fans commented after his concert, 'உங்க தர்பாரிலே நாயகி வந்தாளே!'.(unga dharbArilE nAyaki vandhAlE!)

The maestro replied, 'நாயகி இல்லாம தர்பார் எப்படி சோபிக்கும், ஐயா?' (nAyaki illaame dharbAr eppadi sObikkum, aiyA?) :thumb:

Regards,
Raji Ram

Thanks for enlightening me.

You may well start a thread exclusively for music.

Ariyakudi seemed to have a great wit. It is very likely that you have heard the one on Bairavi & Ananda Bairavi, attributed to him.

With warm regards,
Swami

please help me learn brahmin tamil :) , i want to learn and be fluent , i am a brahmin , kannadiga love tamilnadu because of its traditional way of living , love for culture and my granny is from Coimbatore.

The easiest and the most pleasant way is to watch movies and the mega mahaa

serials with brahmins as central characters!

Though I rarely watch movies there are few serious characterisations of Brahmins in the silverscreen. Of the few movies I have watched only "Maru Pakkam" and "Moghamull" seem to treated the brahmin life with a degree of seriousness.

Rest are mostly grotesque depictions intended for fun. The favourite for the directors is the madisar costume for the brahmin characters decked in all jewellery like necklace and odiyannam. One hardly gets to see a brahmin lady in the daily life in madisar and heavy jewellery. Wearing madisar is now restricted mostly to the religious occasions.

In one serial or movie (I don't remember which) an unmarried woman was shown in madisar!!

With regards,
Swami

Though I rarely watch movies there are few serious characterisations of Brahmins in the silverscreen. ..................

With regards,
Swami
If one can enjoy Nadigar thilakam Sivaji's acting, the best is the famous 'Prestige PadmanAbhan' character's Brahmin Tamil.

In most of the T V mega serials, Brahmin Tamil is used as a comedy link, which many can not tolerate to watch!

:doh:
Raji Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back