• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vow to speak Brahmin Tamil

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my mother visited me for the first time in Visakhapatnam, she heard the

conversation between me and my servant maid.

( I had one old maid to help me in household chores in those days)

Some of the sentences spoken by my servant were:

("I will surely come tomorrow"
)

நேனு ரேபு தப்பகுண்ட ஒஸ்தானண்டி.

(I will bring all the saamaan tomorrow).

ரேபு அன்னி சாமானாலு தெஸ்தானண்டி.

("In case I fail to bring them, you can take me to task.)

ரேபு தேயக போதே அடுகண்டி.

After she left my mother wondered aloud ,

"Whom did she rape so many times today?"

Thinking of the old toothless lady's age and sex-I laughed till tears came from my eyes!
:clap2:

Last edited:
The chennai senthamizh has often confused me too, like the word 'oththikkO'!

When the concealed electric wiring was under progress in our new house, the chief was once shouting 'vali! vali! vali!' (வலி! வலி! வலி!).

I rushed to the spot to check whether he needed an ambulance!

Before I could reach there, he shouted, 'innum vali!' (இன்னும் வலி!) several times.

My worry soon changed into a loud laughter because, that guy with a long wire was asking his assistant to 'pull' it some more!

வலி in chennai senthamizh = இழு!
:ballchain:

Dear Mr. Brahmanyan,
There are so many varieties in brahmin Tamil itself!
I think those of us who live in different states of India, must bring forth such humorous sentences.
It will help us to understand how much the local languages affect our Brahmin Tamil.
with warm regards,
Visalakshi Ramani.
:lol:

Dear Mrs. Visalakshi Ramani,

Local language certainly influence us in our conversation. There is one community of Smartha Brahmins called Sankethis spread over around Mysore and Hassan in Karnataka. They claim to have migrated from Senkottai Area of South Tamil Nadu. They converse in a different "Sanskritised Kannada" Tamil, that we may not understand at all. They keep sir name of Iyer behind their names.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Mr. Brahmanyan,
I am amazed at the kind of exposure you seem to have had in the world - to various languages, communities and countries. I really feel like a frog-in a- well now! :(
with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear Mr. Brahmanyan,
I am amazed at the kind of exposure you seem to have had in the world - to various languages, communities and countries. I really feel like a frog-in a- well now! :(
with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear Mrs. Visalakshi Ramani,

I accept your words of appreciation with utmost humility. All credits should go to my loving mother who encouraged me to expand my knowledge and strict father who shaped me to lead a life of contentment and courage. Please do not compare yourself with any one, we are what we are. You have been endowed with a rare talent of bringing out your thoughts in beautiful verses, which many of us could not even think of attempting to. It is my view, that each one has been blessed with a talent by the creator, if we could identify the same, then the purpose of our birth is fulfilled.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
dear Mr. Brahmanyan,

It is said that, "There is beauty in everything".

May be we can add this saying also. "There is greatness in everyone."

As rightly pointed by you, if we discover our own talents,

we emerge as successful persons in life.

When the latent talent remains undiscovered,

the person may be dubbed as a failure in life!

with warm regards,
V.R.

Even within Tamil Nadu we can observe variations in spoken Brahminical Tamil from region to region.Tanjore Brahmins,Tirunelveli Brahmins,Coimbatore Brahmins etc. have their own style of speaking and they are quite distinct.

Even within Tamil Nadu we can observe variations in spoken Brahminical Tamil from region to region.Tanjore Brahmins,Tirunelveli Brahmins,Coimbatore Brahmins etc. have their own style of speaking and they are quite distinct.

Variations undoubtedly bring vibrancy. Of course they provide enough grist for everyone to make fun of one another.....

Variety is the spice of life!

We can make fun of one another- as long it is taken lightly.

I always enjoy the "pathinettup patti" joke!

I also enjoyed the incident in which two people saw a frog.

The first man said "Thavalai' and the second man said "Aamai".

There was heated argument as to whether it was a 'thavalai' or an 'aamai.'

The first man was from Tamil Nadu and the second from Malabar.

In Malayaalam 'aame' means 'yes'!

So the confusion ended when someone who knew both the languages intervened!
:wacko:

One Tamil speaking man,not knowing Kannada, went for a free lunch served in a mutt in Udupi.When the man serving items asked this man beka bedava meaning whether he wanted the item or not.The man at the leaf thinking that they are two eatables ready to be served promptly asked the server bekule onnu podu,bedavule onnu podu.

One Tamil speaking man,not knowing Kannada, went for a free lunch served in a mutt in Udupi.When the man serving items asked this man beka bedava meaning whether he wanted the item or not.The man at the leaf thinking that they are two eatables ready to be served promptly asked the server bekule onnu podu,bedavule onnu podu.
I would have thought, ஏண்டா நீ என்ன பேக்கா, படவா, வெளில போடா....

We went to Malambuzha dam during college days.

On the way, the bus stopped in a village.

One of my friends, who was supposed to know a little bit of MalayaLam, wanted to use the toilet.

Proudly, she approached an old lady living in a tiny house and said, "jnaan toilet kazhikkaNam".

The lady almost fainted but showed her the way.

Later on, we knew the reason for that lady's reaction.

'kazhikkaNam" in MalayaLam means "want to eat"!
:faint:

dear shree. Nara,

Mercifully the people living in any mutt will not talk so rudely/ angrily.

So we can imagine nicer things-at least two new sweets- to be denoted by those

two unfamiliar words! :)

with warm regards,
V.R.

ஸ்ரீவைஷ்ணவ பரிபாஷை - 1

1. எம்பெருமான் - ஸ்ரீமந்நாராயணன்,விஷ்ணு
2. பெருமாள் - ஸ்ரீமந்நாராயணன், விஷ்ணு , சம்பிரதாய அர்த்தம் - ராமர்
3. பிராட்டி - ஸ்ரீதேவி, லக்ஷ்மி,பூதேவி,நீளாதேவி
4. தாயார் - ஸ்ரீதேவி, லக்ஷ்மி,பூதேவி,நீளாதேவி
5. நம்பெருமாள் - ஸ்ரீரங்கம் கோவில் உத்சவர்
6. பெரிய பெருமாள் - ஸ்ரீரங்கம் கோவில் மூலவர்
7. பெரிய பிராட்டி - ஸ்ரீரங்கநாயகி (ஸ்ரீதேவி)
8. தேவ பெருமாள் - காஞ்சிபுரம் வரதராஜ பெருமாள்
9 மூலவர் - கோவிலிலேயே நிரந்தரமாக எழுந்து அருளும் மூர்த்தி
10. உத்சவர் - உத்சவங்களில் கோவிலுக்கு வெளியே வந்து அருளும் மூர்த்தி

அழகுத் தமிழில் அழகான ஐயனைப்
பற்றியும் அம்மையரைப் பற்றியும்
அறிந்துகொள்வது மனதுக்கு மிகவும்
பரவசம் அளிக்கின்றது. தொடரவும்!

1. எம்பெருமான் - ஸ்ரீமந்நாராயணன்,விஷ்ணு
If you are planning on continuing this perhaps a new thread is appropriate. A new thread will be useful for future members to find this material. This post may be copy pasted as the first post in the new thread so this one is not left behind. Just a thought ...

Dear Shriman Nara,

Thanks fo the suggestion. I will move this to a new thread.

I will also try consolidating this in a single file and will upload this finally.

Regards,

Dear Mr. Samarapungavan,

Small is beautiful-as far as I know.

So please try to post in smaller doses at regular intervals - rather than wait to finish the whole thing before posting.

More people read regularly and remember better when given in smaller doses.

with best wishes and regards,
:first:
V.R.

இந்தகாலத்திலே பிராமணனாக இருந்தாலும் சரி வேறு ஜாதியில் இருந்தாலும் சரி ஒருத்தருக்கு ஒருத்தர் சந்திக்கும் பொழுது தமிழை தவிர ஆங்கிலத்திலோ ஹிந்தியிலோ பேசுவதுதான் வழக்கம் ஆகிவிட்டது

மாற்றான் தோட்டத்து மல்லிகை :noidea:
ஏற்றதுடன் மணக்கின்றது போலும்!:suspicious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back