• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vow to speak Brahmin Tamil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Iyer

This subject has already been discussed earlier. But I am starting with a new agenda. We note that people of other communities, when speaking with whosoever, speak the Tamil belonging to their community. The Gounder always speaks Gounder Tamil with whomsoever he speaks regardless of the community of the other person. He is least sensitive of the community of the other person and least bothered if the other person likes his Tamil or not. Nobody dares criticize him for his Tamil. Even if criticized, he cares two hoots. So is the case with Nadar, Mudaliar, Chettiar, Vanniar. They speak their own Tamil and they never give up their Tamil during informal conversations. But the Brahmins alone feel shy of speaking Brahmin Tamil. If a Brahmin speaks Brahmin Tamil with others, they giggle and criticize. A Tamil Brahmin fears criticism and tries his best to hide his Brahmin identity. Only Tamil Brahmins are ashamed of their Brahmin identity. The Telugu Brahmins, Kannada Brahmins, Malayalam Brahmins, Marathi Brahmins are on the contrary proud of their Brahmin identity.

I am giving a call to all Tamil Brahmins, to vow to speak only Brahmin Tamil with others regardless of their caste or community they belong to. We shall not be ashamed of criticism and we shall not feel shy. On the contrary we will pump the Brahmin Tamil in others ears that in due course of time, they dare not criticize us but change their Tamil to Brahmin Tamil. I have already started this. We shall also discuss in this forum what are all the Brahmin Twists to the Tamil language.

After all Brahmin Tamil is the most highly refined of all Tamil, the most chaste, the most melodious, the most musical and the sweetest to the ears.

THIS IS CLARION CALL.

I WANT EVERY BRAHMIN TO RESPOND POSITIVELY.

After all Brahmin Tamil is the most highly refined of all Tamil, the most chaste, the most melodious, the most musical and the sweetest to the ears.

THIS IS CLARION CALL.

iyer,

i agree with you re the spirit of the post. personally, i talk to my srilankan friends here only intamil - madras tamil. icall them all affectionately thambi and they return the same endearment in anna. we talk in tamil - for me a mix of tamil malayalam english and they speak purer tamil.

i do not agree that our tamil is alone pure and sweet. i enjoy hearing as much kongunattu tamil and i do have a very soft spot for gounders. every dialect has its historical reasons, and it does not behoove right to put down the others, and boast superiority. maybe this is a reflection of our community, and if so, you might as well reconsider this attitude. it is not right.

otherwise, yes. we should be proud to speak our dialect. who knows, with all these ic marriages, we should have, if properly managed, gounders and nadars speaking brahmin tamil. though i doubt i will live to see that day. but society is changing fast, and for the better. i think so anyway.

This subject has already been discussed earlier. But I am starting with a new agenda. We note that people of other communities, when speaking with whosoever, speak the Tamil belonging to their community. The Gounder always speaks Gounder Tamil with whomsoever he speaks regardless of the community of the other person. He is least sensitive of the community of the other person and least bothered if the other person likes his Tamil or not. Nobody dares criticize him for his Tamil. Even if criticized, he cares two hoots. So is the case with Nadar, Mudaliar, Chettiar, Vanniar. They speak their own Tamil and they never give up their Tamil during informal conversations. But the Brahmins alone feel shy of speaking Brahmin Tamil. If a Brahmin speaks Brahmin Tamil with others, they giggle and criticize. A Tamil Brahmin fears criticism and tries his best to hide his Brahmin identity. Only Tamil Brahmins are ashamed of their Brahmin identity. The Telugu Brahmins, Kannada Brahmins, Malayalam Brahmins, Marathi Brahmins are on the contrary proud of their Brahmin identity.

I am giving a call to all Tamil Brahmins, to vow to speak only Brahmin Tamil with others regardless of their caste or community they belong to. We shall not be ashamed of criticism and we shall not feel shy. On the contrary we will pump the Brahmin Tamil in others ears that in due course of time, they dare not criticize us but change their Tamil to Brahmin Tamil. I have already started this. We shall also discuss in this forum what are all the Brahmin Twists to the Tamil language.

THIS IS CLARION CALL.

excellant affirmation Call,Sri Iyer.
I am already in this groove suggested by you .
Though this brahminical accent & languaging is in built in me I was doing so, unconsciously, not being aware even, but I realised of mine only after reading your posting. santhosham.

It is difficult to speak brahminical Tamil in the work place within Tamilnadu. Already there is hatred prevailing against our community and each one of us are trying to avoid being identified as `brahmins'. Our names and appearance may indicate that we may belong to a particular sect. By speaking brahminical accent Tamil, we will be confirming that we belong to brahmin sect.

I wish people try to adopt common Tamil spoken by everybody possibly in the purest form within Tamilnadu.

All the best

It is difficult to speak brahminical Tamil in the work place within Tamilnadu. Already there is hatred prevailing against our community and each one of us are trying to avoid being identified as `brahmins'. Our names and appearance may indicate that we may belong to a particular sect. By speaking brahminical accent Tamil, we will be confirming that we belong to brahmin sect.

I wish people try to adopt common Tamil spoken by everybody possibly in the purest form within Tamilnadu.

All the best

I have been speaking colloquial Tamil with minor changes when I move outside my house. I am not ashamed to speak Brahminical Tamil, nor am I ashamed to be identified as a Brahmin. I come from Kongunadu region where we use respectable words in spoken Tamil. Above all the non Brahmin community there, is very friendly towards us. Honestly I have never experienced any hatred towards me in Coimbatore my native place, or for that matter in any other regions of Tamil Nadu as well. Inter- Caste Hatred is spread by Politicians for their personal gains, otherwise common people are always friendly towards each other.

Regards,

Brahmanyan

With due respect, I would first advaocate speaking of tamil among TamBrams.

When we meet (either cousins or friends), Out of ten sentences, I find 9 sentences are in English or Hindi (Those cousins brought up in Mumbai/Delhi bring in Hindi sentences).When I try to ask Q in Tamil, I get answers in English.

Regards
Revathi

With due respect, I would first advocate speaking of tamil among TamBrams.

When we meet (either cousins or friends), Out of ten sentences, I find 9 sentences are in English or Hindi (Those cousins brought up in Mumbai/Delhi bring in Hindi sentences).When I try to ask Q in Tamil, I get answers in English.

Regards
Revathi

Madam,

What you say is cent percent true. Of late, I find we have evolved a new mix of Tamil/English "manipravalam" in our spoken Language. But, we in our house made it a point to speak Tamil amongst us, but our children are yet to feel comfortable due to limited vocabulary of Tamil they possess. Their exposure in the School is more of English, Hindi and Kannada.
Though we live in Bangalore, I have made it a point to teach Tamil alphabets and language to my grand daughters. To some extent I have succeeded in my attempt. Now they are able to read big letters in Tamil Newspaper and Magazines. But the spoiling factor is our Tamil Visual Media, even the channels owned by the so called protagonists of Tamil Semmozhi the programs are Compered in Tamil/English.
Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Madam,

What you say is cent percent true. Of late, I find we have evolved a new mix of Tamil/English "manipravalam" in our spoken Language. But, we in our house made it a point to speak Tamil amongst us, but our children are yet to feel comfortable due to limited vocabulary of Tamil they possess. Their exposure in the School is more of English, Hindi and Kannada.
Though we live in Bangalore, I have made it a point to teach Tamil alphabets and language to my grand daughters. To some extent I have succeeded in my attempt. Now they are able to read big letters in Tamil Newspaper and Magazines. But the spoiling factor is our Tamil Visual Media, even the channels owned by the so called protagonists of Tamil Semmozhi the programs are Compered in Tamil/English.
Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.
Tamizh spoken by the tambrams in Kerala varies from area to area, just as the native Malayalam does. Perhaps the tamizh spoken by Kerala Iyers will not be understood at all by our tambrams in neighbouring Tirunelveli or Coimbatore itself. In the rural and semi-urban centres the mixing of English is minimum but Malayalam words will be more. When we come to cities like Kochi, Trivandrum, etc., the English mixture is very much more. I do not know whether we can avoid English words completely, but we can definitely attempt to avoid phrases and sentences in English. Some of our youngsters will find it difficult to speak if they have not been taught Tamizh from childhood.

This may not be relevant directly, but I was told that the Thai people use English words freely especially for scientific words but even post-graduate teaching is in the Thai language. Tambrams can follow that example also.

I fully agree that we should try to speak more in Tamil and avoid talking in English or mixing up English. In actual practice, it is very difficult since most of the business meetings are conducted in English only and we tend to carry forward the same to home also.

It is good that Sri Brahmanyan teaches Tamil alphabets to his grand children. I have seen most of the people living outside Tamilnadu/Puduchery are unable to read and write Tamil. Tamil is a global language covering India, Sri lanka, Singapore, Malaysia, Gulf countries, Mauritius, South Africa etc apart from scatted over USA, Canada, Europe, Australia etc. Tamil Literature has treasures of knowledge which our younger generation should not ignore.

It is better to avoid Tamil TV channels as they not only kill Tamil Language but also spread wrong messages perpetually. These channels start a serial with the presumption that it is not possible to bridge the gap between a Mother in Law and Daughter in Law. Also violence is very much prevalent in these channels which may affect children psychology.

All the best

With due respect, I would first advaocate speaking of tamil among TamBrams.

Regards
Revathi

Sow. Revathi,

Greetings. Welcome to the forum. It is heartening to see more and more ladies taking part in the forum. Tamizh-Brahmin Tamizh.......I enjoyed it from elderly ladies. In those days they seldom mixed English words.But Most gents spoke half the sentences in English, the rest in Tamizh. Come to think of it, even that Tamizh switching to English was quite nice to hear. (It looks like I like to hear anything; I better stop my ranting!).

Cheers!

Sri.RVR Sir said -

It is better to avoid Tamil TV channels as they not only kill Tamil Language but also spread wrong messages perpetually. These channels start a serial with the presumption that it is not possible to bridge the gap between a Mother in Law and Daughter in Law. Also violence is very much prevalent in these channels which may affect children psychology.
In my opinion, Tamizh TV channels affect not only children but also elders in a very negative way. When I lived in Toronto I had the misfortune of watching Sun TV. I would consider watching Sun TV is a punishment!:violin:

Cheers!

Shri Raghy,

These mamiyar-marumagal serials do have a psycological effect on the larger masses. I watched one episode in which the marumagal was plotting to kill an appavi mamiyar. In another serial, the mamiyar treated the marumagal shabbily and went on to mention that it is "sagajam" (common) everywhere. After watching the serials, people may start thinking that such behavior is "normal" and acceptable. It is ridiculous really.

Sri.RVR Sir said -

In my opinion, Tamizh TV channels affect not only children but also elders in a very negative way. When I lived in Toronto I had the misfortune of watching Sun TV. I would consider watching Sun TV is a punishment!:violin:

Cheers!

You are correct.

When they project MIL and DIL as cat and mouse almost in all serials, it is better to watch Tom and Jerry cartoons straightaway.

At least elders will not get affected psychologically

All the best

Brahmanyan Sir,

I agree.

Madam,

But, we in our house made it a point to speak Tamil amongst us, but our children are yet to feel comfortable due to limited vocabulary of Tamil they possess..

I have taught my daughter tamil letters since she also studies in Bangalore.Since Vocobulary depends on one's reading in that language , naturally Tamil words are limited when the reading of extra books are mostly in English. Thanks to my in-laws and my parents she is now better.I am buying and collecting Tamil books written by Kalki, Akilan hoping one day she will also read(after she finishes school) since basically she loves books.

I remember my cousin in UK who has taught his sons (Who are around 13 and 7) to read and write in Tamil.Dinner time speech has to be in Tamil.They also make sure when relatives come to UK to their house, these boys write citations in tamil and give as a Gift.

Regards
Revathi

Shri Raghy,

Thank you!

But Most gents spoke half the sentences in English, the rest in Tamizh. Come to think of it, even that Tamizh switching to English was quite nice to hear. (It looks like I like to hear anything; I better stop my ranting!).

My father has stored all his important letters to his father/Brothers in late sixties.All of them are in English . Also he is writing dairy since his college days in late fifrties. They are all in English.

Where as I remember when My mom writes letter to her sisters and other relatives, it will be always in tamil.(She is more comfortable in Tamil)

Regards
Revathi

THIS IS CLARION CALL.

I noticed that all Tamils speak in Tamil even with non Tamils. I found it personally. Even when they do know english or Hindi, they pretend not to know. Such language chauvinists are hard to find elewhere.

But when it is a matter of bread and butter, it is a different matter. When diehard Tamilians come to N. India for service they find that speaking in Tamil or English is no good even for daily shopping for vegetables. Then of course, they rapidly teach themselves the local lingo. Malyalis have no difficulty, their Hindi maybe heavily accented, but they do manage.

PS: A Hindi knowing rikshaw puller at Madres Central more.

I fully agree that we should try to speak more in Tamil and avoid talking in English or mixing up English. In actual practice, it is very difficult since most of the business meetings are conducted in English only and we tend to carry forward the same to home also.

It is good that Sri Brahmanyan teaches Tamil alphabets to his grand children. I have seen most of the people living outside Tamilnadu/Puduchery are unable to read and write Tamil. Tamil is a global language covering India, Sri lanka, Singapore, Malaysia, Gulf countries, Mauritius, South Africa etc apart from scatted over USA, Canada, Europe, Australia etc. Tamil Literature has treasures of knowledge which our younger generation should not ignore.

All the best

Shri RVR,

We were born and brought up in a small village (kerala type, consisting of separate houses in small/large compounds-no agrahaarams there) and had no chance of getting Tamizh magazines or books there in my childhood. But being a vaideeka family, we were encouraged (not forced) to read "grantha lipi" also. My grandfather had a good stock of most vaideeka books in grantham, published from Kumbhalonam. But we lost most of those due to white ants when, after my grandfather's demise, we went to live with my father at his place of duty and returned at the next school vacation!

Learning "grantha lipi" will help tambrams to learn mantras, stotras, etc., more correctly, I feel.

I noticed that all Tamils speak in Tamil even with non Tamils. I found it personally. Even when they do know english or Hindi, they pretend not to know. Such language chauvinists are hard to find elewhere.

But when it is a matter of bread and butter, it is a different matter. When diehard Tamilians come to N. India for service they find that speaking in Tamil or English is no good even for daily shopping for vegetables. Then of course, they rapidly teach themselves the local lingo. Malyalis have no difficulty, their Hindi maybe heavily accented, but they do manage.

Shri rcscwc,

I could not get the meaning of the "PS". Will you kindly explain?

.....It is better to avoid Tamil TV channels as they not only kill Tamil Language but also spread wrong messages perpetually. These channels start a serial with the presumption that it is not possible to bridge the gap between a Mother in Law and Daughter in Law. Also violence is very much prevalent in these channels which may affect children psychology.

All the best

is this life imitating art? or art imitating life?

i do not if watching these serials give people ideas. i agree that tv is a powerful medium, in that an all encompassing medium, which demands 100% attention is a permanent member of the family, and unlike the newspaper or the magazine, is available to be partaken day in and day out.

i would consider the tv more a soporific than a stimulant. tired mothers use the tv as a pacifier. families with an evening ahead of them, chose the tv as an entertainment. news flies instantly with images all over the world thanks to tv.

but influencing someone to kil mil? dil? i think this is a loooong stretch. maybe we are giving tv too much credit.

iyer,

i agree with you re the spirit of the post. personally, i talk to my srilankan friends here only intamil - madras tamil. icall them all affectionately thambi and they return the same endearment in anna. we talk in tamil - for me a mix of tamil malayalam english and they speak purer tamil.

i do not agree that our tamil is alone pure and sweet. i enjoy hearing as much kongunattu tamil and i do have a very soft spot for gounders. every dialect has its historical reasons, and it does not behoove right to put down the others, and boast superiority. maybe this is a reflection of our community, and if so, you might as well reconsider this attitude. it is not right.

otherwise, yes. we should be proud to speak our dialect. who knows, with all these ic marriages, we should have, if properly managed, gounders and nadars speaking brahmin tamil. though i doubt i will live to see that day. but society is changing fast, and for the better. i think so anyway.

Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

I agree that every dialect and accent of Tamil has its own sweet flavour. I enjoy Kongunattu Tamil too, the 'Eanunga?', 'Ahaanunga', 'illeenga', etc. What I am concerned is the gradual erosion of Brahmin Tamil from our midst. There seems to be an inferiority complex slowly overcoming the Tamil Brahmins. We hardly hear, 'Ava aathule', 'kuduthenonno', 'naazhi aayiduthu', 'jalam tharrela?', 'varrela','porela', etc. Why is this fear and infer complex among Tamil Brahmins? Why do we feel shy of our identity? In other states, Brahmins are proud of themselves while yet they live in harmony with others. Others revere the Brahmins in other states. Let alone EVR, DK, DMK, MK etc, why do we underestimate our own selves in our own state? Our children hardly get to hear Brahmin Tamil nowadays. I found Brahmin boys growing up in Madras, influenced by the Madras Tamil and the influence is evident in their normal day to day conversation. It is the erosion of Brahmin Tamil I am concerned about.

Last edited:

i do not if watching these serials give people ideas. i agree that tv is a powerful medium, in that an all encompassing medium, which demands 100% attention is a permanent member of the family, and unlike the newspaper or the magazine, is available to be partaken day in and day out.

i would consider the tv more a soporific than a stimulant. tired mothers use the tv as a pacifier. families with an evening ahead of them, chose the tv as an entertainment. news flies instantly with images all over the world thanks to tv.

but influencing someone to kil mil? dil? i think this is a loooong stretch. maybe we are giving tv too much credit.
In my view TV serials have more capacity to affect the thinking of humans than newspaper, magazines and even cinemas. The bad effects on children "addicted" to viewing tv cartoon shows is, I think, now a generally accepted fact. Someone told me that studies have shown that kids exposed to the Tom & Jerry serials develop into mentally warped personalities - details I forget now. One couple have made it a point to ensure that their son does not watch the Tom & Jerry serials AFAP. (They told me about the study etc.)

In the case of adults also, the impact of TV is strong though it may not be as enormous as in the case of kids (as a matter of fact, even one or two year infants, who have yet to commence talking, react to the TV images in a way which will astonish us!) Since the TV people want more and more viewership - and higher and higher ratings - which comes only when some overdose of emotions are there, any aspect tends to get overplayed in the serials. In india where sex is taboo in TV, this is perhaps the only possibility. Like other addictive items, one serial tries to better another by packaging itself with more "masala" which means more raw emotion. Modulated serials have no viewership now among women - who are the majority because there are many homemakers still - and also men, and hence characters are cast in an extreme way; if it is a good person it is very good, to the extent of the unbelievable, if bad, then also the same - worst of the worst!.

Continuous watching of such serials tend to make the addicted viewers lose a portion of their rational thinking to the imaginary life painted by the serials.

Dear rcscwc,
I'm no 'language chauvinists', but i can relate to what you say from my personal experience.

In TN we had to take special interest to learn Hindi (or other Indian language). Few Parents used to do that in 80s - 90s thinking it will be an advantage in job search in future.
Today parents don't see advantage in teaching Hindi, they prefer computer classes / extra math classes etc.
We do readily learn Telugu/Malayalam from our neighbors, so we are quite flexible when it comes to learning new languages.
Your statement about 'Tamils speak in Tamil even with non Tamils' in my view is untrue. You might have noticed a rare incident or a person with kutarkam.
In general, We try not to expose our limitations so that others do not take advantage of....

When i went to Delhi, i found a lot of Tamils in good bureaucratic positions and are quite comfortable in Hindi.

When we go outside state for the first time, we try to find a group of tamils and stay in that circle hoping we can ride the wave. Slowly we realize it does not work and we start learning the language. I assume it is a natural process for all migrants.

We realize that Rikshaw Puller or Vegetable vendor try to take advantage of our limitations and we are also comfortable testing our new skills with them rather than to our colleagues.

Not sure what you meant here.

thanks,

Last edited:

One of my friend who is a leading psychiatrist in Chennai has told me clearly that TV has to be avoided to a great extent. He even said that people should avoid cable/satellite TVs particularly when they have children. He suggested watching movie CD's once in a week as a better alternative.
In actual practice it may not be possible. Watching sports matches live is really a thrill which we cannot avoid. But at the same time, the serials particularly in the Tamil Tv channels are really horrible and I always wonder how people have patience to watch every day allocating their precious time.

Most of the TV companies conduct market research studies regularly and if the audience viewer ratings are fairly good, they continue the serial giving new twists and turns to the story. Mega serial `Kolangal' is the best example. If the viewer rating drops, they ask the producer to close the serial immediately or they shift the slot to non-prime time. Ultimately the entire episode is running purely on commercial lines without passing on any worthwhile message.

Within the home also when the serial is running nobody is talking to each other. If a guest drops in during the time, please imagine the treatment he is likely to get.

I wish people use visual media for productive purposes only.

All the best

Dear friends,

The other communities just use the different accents native to their region. They don't destroy or demolish the Tamil words.

The two groups I know who corrupt the words are the Chennai Senthamizhargal and Brahmins.

How many people can guess the meaning of the words like
நேக்கு, நோக்கு, ஆத்திலே etc?

More so, because these words have a different meaning already!
நோக்கு= look, ஆத்திலே= in the river.

No wonder people laugh when we speak brahmin Tamil. They identify the words with the meanings they already know and nothing will make any sense.

In Telugu the word
ரேபு means 'tomorrow'. But always the new comers identify this with the English word Rape. ரண்டி is the politest form of inviting a person to one's home but it sounds like a scolding word to people who know Hindi!

Better to talk a language which will be understood by everyone than to become a laughing stock!

with warm regards,
V.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back