• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Volunteers

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many brahmin boys and girls who require financial help for pursuing their studies or courses. I am ready to help financially to the extent possible by me either individually or collectively.I am not based in India. So I cannot do organising etc. i can help financially within my limited capacity.
subramanian

Dear Subramaniam:

Thank you so much for stepping up to help out our less fortunate boys and girls. We need more good samaritans like you!
Please wait; you should be hearing from me soon. We will be meeting soon to finalize the process of setting up funds for this purpose.
Thanks again and.... please spread the word!

dear silverfox,
this is a good idea. those willing can give their consent on the forum and the moderator can write to them in their email id. that will retain the anonymity of the receivers details.
regards
eswaran

any progress?

Any progress in this area? Can we make some money for servicing ppl through google adsense? I guess more action required on our part than what we do now. Please ppl who are gud at ur domain open a seperate category and post ur views. It may be market or real estate or tec or mgmt etc. I think more ppl shud come fwd to take calculated risks esp to start businesses.

temple

Hi,

I have been to sriviliputhur. One of a good samaritarian had rebuilt an old temple [ few lakhs ] and he has got stuck and looking out for funds to do the kumbabishekam.

I want willing people to contribute. I will be getting the details which i will put in the forum.
Regards,

Temple update

People who are involved in the contruction of old temple are :

T Ramaswamy
R Deepak Chandar
K. V. Thirupathi

You can reach them over 98437 32689, 04563-222689

Current construction had cost them few lakhs and they require few more laksh to complete the construction. At this point of time, Ramaswamy and family had contributed this amount for construction.

You can fund them to any one of the following bank accounts using internet banking at Rajapalayam :
T Ramaswamy : TamilNad Mercantile Bank, a/c 129866
R Deepak Chandar : icici bank : a/c 611501503347
K. V. Thirupathi : Indian Overseas bank a/c No. 1612

I have seen the temple under construction and also i have taken video clipping of the temple. I have also enquired about the efforts and genuineness.

Request all todonate liberally.

Regards, Partha

Assist an IIT student trying to help poor in mumbai

myself 10k and chandru 5k we have given for the good cause. Request member to consider postiively

Details of bank account are as under ;

Account Name: Deelip Mhaske
Account number: 10725891363
Bank Name: State Bank Of India Powai
CIty: Mumbai
Swift No. - SBININBB519
Branch: IIT Powai Branch
Branch Code: 1109
:flame:
===============================================================================================================================================

Publication:Times Of India Mumbai; [ http://paybacktosociety.blogspot.com/ ]
Date:Oct 15, 2006;
Section:Times City;
Page Number:2
Rich at heart, this IIT-ian serves poor
Sabrina Buckwalter TNN Mumbai: The Damunagur slums in Kandivili provide shelter to sweepers, maids, trash collectors, rickshaw drivers and a 28-year-old man with a Master’s degree from Tata Institute of Social Sciences and another from IIT in Powai. It’s a place Deelip Mhaske calls home three nights a week. He hops from hut to hut, sleeping on borrowed beds of families that he calls friends. It’s a deliberate decision for Mhaske, who could have been making Rs 90,000 a month as a researcher for the World Health Organisation, but he turned it down as moving to Geneva, Switzerland would have taken him far from the people that need his help most. Sleeping only a few hours a night, Mhaske crams his days full of social service to at least five slums serving upto 4.5 lakh people. Providing assistance to these people is his full-time career. His round-the-clock job comprises activities like organising medical camps, setting up slum schools, providing legal advice and career guidance, overseeing support groups for women, running a street theatre called “Theatres Without Borders’’ and assisting in the Indo-Hungarian Education Project, an initiative that’s seen the education of 12 Damunagar girls, completely sponsored all the way to college. Mhaske hasn’t strayed far from his roots, growing up without electricity or toilet. The son of a poor landless farmer, he was raised in the Bhatapuri village in the Jalna district that has seen upto a hundred farmer suicides. Despite the fact that lucrative jobs are within his reach today, he has not fallen to the temptation. Money, he says, “is better spent on helping those in the slums than on rent.’’ And time spent at a nine to five job in a cushy firm would deny him the intimate day-to-day slum interaction he cherishes—whether it’s bandaging a bloody cricket wound or clapping for the street theatre performance that he helped organise. With no employment income, he funds his ventures through a bank loan that he plans to replay through odd academic assignments. He uses that money to pay the teachers in the slums, purchase medical supplies used in the bi-monthly camps, subsidise the rental and electricity bills of the dimly lit rooms in the slums, and a bit on himself too. The doctors, do-gooders and other random people that show up to help in the various initiatives Mhaske has arranged, donate their time and services on a volunteer basis. Bono Abraham Benoit, who spent three hours dispensing medicines at the camp on Tuesday, says he does it because he believes in what Mhaske is doing. “When I met Deelip and saw for myself how he was helping all these people, it drew me in. I’d helped out other organisations but wasn’t inspired by their work,’’ he says. Mhaske is drawing admirers from every place he has set his foot in. “What I like about him is that he likes to take up challenges, even those that are controversial. He is a person with a position. Above all he is a very good organiser,’’ says Suryakant Waghmore, assistant professor at TISS. Though grants and charitable money are available, Mhaske points out that it’s not too easy to obtain them. He says that organisations are hesitant to give money to a oneman social force. “They’d rather give it to a more established organisation, one that has a business plan in place,’’ says Mhaske, without any grimace on his face. In fact, it was Mhaske’s idea to hold the medical camp specifically on Tuesday because it was how he wanted to spend his 28th birthday. The hard work seems to have taken its toll with crow’s feet and a receding hairline creeping prematurely into Mhaske’s simple looks. With only the clothes in his brandless backpack most days, he’s constantly on the move. He stores his real possessions at his sister’s home—a place he rarely visits. ALL FOR THE UNDERPRIVILEGED:

Deelip Mhaske with children from the Damunagur slums

=================================

Twenty-seven-year-old Deelip Mhaske (a research scholar from IIT, Mumbai) an activist for the last 10 years, campaigning the rights of children of displaced slumdwellers, the HIV-affected and several other issues, has had a similar experience: “I get the best response and most enthusiasm from collegians to 35-year-olds. They can work day and night on a project if inspired. Even those who don’t have much time, make it a point to do something. That support means a lot.” Mhaske, who has a blog called paybacktosociety.blogspot.com, also observes that many more young people want to make a career in social work today than in earlier generations. “If Indian society changes its attitude and accepts that doing something for the larger good is as good as any other profession, there would be many more people making a difference,” he adds. And making a difference is what movies like Rang De Basanti succeeded in doing. Director Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra maintains: “The need of the hour is to participate, rather than sitting on the fence and pointing fingers. It’s a proactive attitude. It’s about looking inward and finding the inspiration to from all walks of life have done their share of soul-searching and are now prepared to fight crime and corruption. Says Kaul, “In the coming years, this public activism will result in a very big change overall in the Indian system. The fact is that the sleeping majority is waking up and that day isn’t far when we will see the real free India.”

(Inputs from Nona Walia) TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Details needed

Praveen,

I have seen your mail regarding contributions from members to help the needy in our community. While congratulating you for taking this initiative forward, are you planning to send a followup mail on the details of how the contribution should be made ?

The minimum i guess would be :

a) In whose name chq / dd to be drawn ?
b) Address for sending the chq / dd.

Request you to pls send a followup.
:thumb:

Dear hariharan1972:
It was Praveen and I who drafted the appeal. Please go to "sponsorship..." forum to follow up on this. Let me try to answer your questions:

a)The minimum i guess would be :

As you know, this is strictly voluntary. However, we are asking at least about Rs.2,000 per member in India (depending on the member's financial strength) and about $100 per member overseas; of course, no one can stop you from contributing more!!

a) In whose name chq / dd to be drawn ?
Please bear with me for just for a week. I will get back to you as soon as I straighten this out.

b) Address for sending the chq / dd.
Same as above.

Most of all, I want to thank you for stepping up to the plate to help our less fortunate brethern.
Thank you!

Every one of us should get all of his brahmin aquaintences to register here.
Care should be ensured to verify if these people are brahmins are not. This should be a sort of an orkut site. we need to involve brahmins of other languages too.
We must have an umbrella org called - indianbrahmins -- worldbrahmins.
We will have to get a census of the brahmins in india and tn. This will let us know our strength and hwo to work together. Also if we can somewhat get all these people into one area/state then we can influence the local government better and shape up a model stat within india. Anyway brahmins do not have agricultural lands anymore. Also some politicians in tamil nadu like thirumavalavan are talking about restricting ownership of land to only tamils -- needless to say they already have called brahmins as non-tamils.
This can happen in other states too. So it makes better sense for brahmins to get together in one state (atleast own property and have voter id there) and then from there operate throughout the country.

I am more interested in offering my services for poor Brahmin families,whose income is less than 3000 rs. per month.
Priority for widows/divorcees,who may require a base for starting their life on their own.

Monetary assistance

Mr Vytheeswaran

Thogh I am not an avid temple goer, there is someone whom I know who works for the temple near my home. I believe he has two children ( 12th and 9th standards) and he would be glad to receive some assistance.

Can I find out details and forward to you ?

Regards

Bhooma

cant reach you

Been trying to get in touch with you . But no luck.

whats the best time to call you ?

My mobile is 9840813477

Bhooma

take a loo at keralaiyesr site http://www.keralaiyers.com/

take a look at kerala iyers site http://www.keralaiyers.com/.
They have a way to mobilise fund and give it to desrving people after verificaation( they have a way to verify too). I think we need ot follow such an approace esp when the contributors are outside india.
There needs to be;
a) A trust formed and it should have an account in abnak to which swift transfer can be done.
b) a set of volunteers who can verify and endorse the needs of the people who appeal.
c) Since many of us are working , many in IT, i think getting the time to do the verification and admin work will be difficult. So i suggest people who are retired or given VRS ( our parents, uncles sort of ) etc can take care of these activities.

Dear Kashyap:

We are looking into establishing a trust but I am told it is not as easy as it seems. We are talking to a CA (or CPA, as it is called in the US), to get all the facts. Then we will have to have some trustees.

Regarding various ideas mooted ...

I have been following the many good ideas on this thread.
I am not sure whether a trust (affiliated with this site) has been in instituted.

Meanwhile are you aware of an NGO called Foundation for Excellence ?
Please see: http://www.ffe.org/
It addresses Priyaram's idea of "maximum bang for the donor's buck".
We could request members in TN/Chennai to be Coordinators/Facilitators to identify needy students and disburse funds.

It would be nice for donor/sponsors to meet the beneficiaries when they visit Chennai/TN towns. I think this is a very important part of community building. It is gratifying to both the benefactor and the beneficiary.

I also like the idea of expanding the forum to be inclusive of all Brahmin communities (Kerala, Andhra, Karnataka, UP, Kashmiri ...) - although I recognize the pitfalls of growing too rapidly. There may be some wisdom in building "critical mass" and then diversifying one's scope.

Another useful tool would be a "switchboard": People mentoring people; posting vacancies; helping members find employment; database of scholarships, travel grants, listing of schools that accept "forward caste" candidates - with important deadlines, applicable fees etc.

Apart from scholarships to educational institutions (I realize that goal is primary!) - scholarships to students of classical music and dance - will help keep our heritage alive.

I will pass the word around in family - and in my local community ...

charity to begin at home...

thanks silverfox for the update. also thanks to born_again_iyer_mami. It was a good suggestion about www.ffe.org. I just want to reiterate one point here. Typicallythe government is meant for the welfare of the society atleast for the welfare of the downtrodden. In fact that is why it is collecting tax from us. In a way then we are already donating money to the society esp since the tax rate is ar higher than that suggested in our shastras ( or thathas been in practice in anceinte kingdoms. I read in thuglak that it was just around 7%). Anyways coming back to main topic, we are already paying over and above what is prescribed in shastras and are therefore doing charity already. But the money from govt's coffers is mismanaged and swindled by the politicians. Whatever is left goes to mbc, sc ,st and bc and not a single morsel goes to the so-called "forward castes" or other castes esp to brahmins.
Hence my policy would be -- if i have some money to give -- i would rather first give exclusively to brahmins and then to the rest. This is because our community has been forsaken by the govt and majority of the people and perhaps even by god ( though i want to still believe in god).
Hence what I request is do charity -- but begin at home and your community and then to the rest...

Our organization

I have been following the many good ideas on this thread.
I am not sure whether a trust (affiliated with this site) has been in instituted.
Meanwhile are you aware of an NGO called Foundation for Excellence ?
Please see: http://www.ffe.org/
It addresses Priyaram's idea of "maximum bang for the donor's buck".
We could request members in TN/Chennai to be Coordinators/Facilitators to identify needy students and disburse funds.
It would be nice for donor/sponsors to meet the beneficiaries when they visit Chennai/TN towns. I think this is a very important part of community building. It is gratifying to both the benefactor and the beneficiary.
I also like the idea of expanding the forum to be inclusive of all Brahmin communities (Kerala, Andhra, Karnataka, UP, Kashmiri ...) - although I recognize the pitfalls of growing too rapidly. There may be some wisdom in building "critical mass" and then diversifying one's scope.

Another useful tool would be a "switchboard": People mentoring people; posting vacancies; helping members find employment; database of scholarships, travel grants, listing of schools that accept "forward caste" candidates - with important deadlines, applicable fees etc.

Apart from scholarships to educational institutions (I realize that goal is primary!) - scholarships to students of classical music and dance - will help keep our heritage alive.

I will pass the word around in family - and in my local community ...

Dear born_again_aiyer_maami:

So far, we have helped out three deserving cases - one poor brahmin temple priest who had a heart attack; Srividhya studying engineering in Coimbatore (her second year tuition of Rs.40k is coming up) and Rajachandrika (I already personally paid her dues for last year and there are several good samaritans from our community standing ready to help out). We have thoroughly checked out these people before I organized the disbursement of money. But it takes time and volunteers from our community in different places to check out the veracity of these cases. As I write, I will be meeting with a Chartered Accountant to get all the facts for setting up a trust. I wonder if we should name the trust as "tamilbrahmins.com"; I am told undesirable elements in TN might create trouble for us. We need to look into this.
Anyway, thank you for all your suggestions. Please spread the word.

Re: Charity begins at home ...

Kashyap, SilverFox:
I am entirely with you when you say charity begins at home (and hopefully grows outward in expanding circles!)
Your point regarding taxes is well taken - it would not hurt if we could make the charitable contributions tax-exempt (many charities have that facility).

I however do not agree that government should take care of the welfare of its citizens. I think part of our problem is that government meddles too much in our lives - which is why government is able to sway votes with a populist agenda (whether it be two eggs/one color television or welfare/social security/medicare!). It is better that charity be done of one's free-will.

My intent in suggesting www.ffe.org was purposeful.
I was addressing the issue SilverFox raised, indirectly.
If you institute a trust labeled "TamilBrahmins.com" - you will be labeled 'parochial', 'communal', 'insular' etc
However, there is nothing wrong with nominating meritorious, Tamil Brahmin students to ffe. You are a Tamil Brahmin, and the deserving candidates you refer are from your community - perfectly above reproach, perfectly defensible!

SilverFox: You mentioned two young women students (Rajachandrika and another), and Bhooma had mentioned two children at her local temple. I would like to help, but am unable to give you a firm committment today (we are having a round of lay-offs where I work tomorrow). If I don't get a pink-slip, and still have a job Monday - I will be happy to do my part.

Dear born_again_aiyar_maami:
Thank you for your suggestions. I went on the site www.ffe.org; looks like they are doing a fine job of helping out younsters.
Are you suggesting that we abandon our idea of having a trust and go with Foundation For Excellence and recommend students to them? What about other help? Please bear with me; I am not too swift!
I am sorry to hear about the impending layoffs; I hope you are not affected by it. I appreciate the fact that you cannot commit right now; but please dont worry; you could perhaps help us in other respects.

Dear SilverFox,
No, I was not suggesting that you abandon the idea of a trust.
I was merely suggesting that it is wise to be politic.
It may be counter-productive to attract the wrong kind of attention and get embroiled in litigation or political back-lash (esp. since we are disadvantaged in terms of numbers).
Another idea I had was to borrow a concept from "micro-credit" - require scholarship recipients to put back a very nominal amount - say 1% or 1.5% of their earnings to the trust, once they find employment. The idea is not to recover the money, but to urge recipients to pass on the goodwill to other members in the community. But then again, maybe that is best left to free-will - with no strings attached.

Dear born_again_aiyar_maami:
Thank you for your suggestions. I went on the site www.ffe.org; looks like they are doing a fine job of helping out younsters.
Are you suggesting that we abandon our idea of having a trust and go with Foundation For Excellence and recommend students to them? What about other help? Please bear with me; I am not too swift!
I am sorry to hear about the impending layoffs; I hope you are not affected by it. I appreciate the fact that you cannot commit right now; but please dont worry; you could perhaps help us in other respects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back