• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vijay TV's Anti Hindu posture - Please register your protest in a Peaceful way

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was deeply disturbed by the contents of the programs in Vijay TV. And I found this on the web which reflected my concerns. I have just copy pasted it. You can also read it in the following web links.

Vijayvaani.com
Vijayvaani.com
Vijayvaani.com

You can contact Mercury Creations (Mr. Antony-CEO) at 0-9840712192 and Vijay TV (Mr. Sriram-CEO) at 044-28224696 and 044-28214201 and record your protest and condemnation and demand a public apology.
Readers can send letters to Vijay TV, 15 Jagannathan Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai – 600034.
Readers can also send protest letters by e-mail at
indya.com - Feedback
[email protected]
[email protected] and
to the Information and Broadcasting Ministry at
[email protected] and [email protected]

Thennadu udaya sivane potri

En nattavarkum eraiva potri

[Tamil Hindus have noted an increasingly anti-Hindu bias in the electronic media. Recently, a programme telecast by Vijay TV of ‘Star TV’ Group on 11 October, in Tamil, ridiculed the Hindu cultural practice of married women wearing Mangalsutras and insulted Hindu women. There is growing concern that this is part of a concerted socio-political move to defame and delegitimise all aspects of Hindu tradition in public life – Editor]

The sanctity of Mangalsutra

“Mangalyathaaranam’ or the tying of Mangalsutra is the most important ritual in the Hindu marriage. The Mangalsutra, sacred symbol of marriage in all Hindu groups, is known as ‘Mangala Naan’ or ‘Mangala Mani’ or simply ‘Thaali’ in Tamil. Even an ordinary thread soaked in turmeric solution and tied with a small turmeric piece is considered as Thaali, because turmeric is attached with divinity, as it is one of the important ingredients in puja; hence the turmeric thread has the sanctity of a Mangalsutra.

Musical instruments (Nagaswaram, Thavil) are played at the time of the tying of Mangalsutra at full volume, so that any bad words being mouthed by anyone in the marriage hall may not fall in the ears of the bride and bridegroom. The Mangalsutra is tied around the neck of a woman so that she is recognised by all as one who is married to another man and respected. A married woman should never desire another man. The ‘Thaali is like a Veli’ (Mangalsutra is like a fence) protecting her, and she must not transgress it. Tamil Nadu even had a king by name ‘Thalikku Veli’…

Agni (fire) plays the role of ‘witness’ in the marriage ritual, a witness not only for the wellbeing of the couple, but also for their character. If they are not sincere to each other and become characterless, Agni burns their heart and mind and punishes them. That is also reason a woman of character is known as “Karpukkanal” (‘Karpu’ = chastity; ‘Kanal’ = Agni).

The groom puts three knots while tying the Mangalsutra around the neck of the bride to ensure her character: the first knot indicates that she is obedient to her husband, the second that she is docile to her parents and the third that she fears God. It can also be termed as “Kaappu” (protection) that she gets from her husband, parents and God. Both the bride and bridegroom are tied a “Kaappu” in their hands symbolizing that she is ensured of her protection and he assures her his protection.

Hinduism is the only religion which projects woman as Devi and her husband as a devotee (bhakta) making their life happy.

Hey Hinduism! You have made the life happy by projecting the woman as Goddess and laying a fencing of chastity around her! I love you like my life!”
- Poet Kannadasan in “Meaningful Hinduism” (Arthamulla Inthu Matham)

It is our culture to look upon a married woman as a mother. The Mangalsutra is not a decorative item. It is a symbol of culture; it is a symbol of divinity; it is a symbol of chastity; it is a symbol indicating the sanctity of marriage; it is a symbol projecting the renowned Bharatiya Hindu culture.

Our culture survived the oppression of Islamic and Christian invaders for centuries. But in the half century since independence, particularly the last three decades, our culture has undergone severe changes for the worse. Westernization and the assault of anti-Hindu forces, continuing alien system of education, self-centered politicians and their misrule and the irresponsible foreign-controlled mainstream media have together taken a heavy toll on our cultural heritage, driving it along the path of destruction.

Christian Media House insulting Hindus

As a milestone on this destructive path, Chennai based ‘Vijay TV,’ part of Rupert Murdoch’s media empire (Star TV Group), has been telecasting a programme titled “Neeyaa Naanaa” (You or Me – Tum aur Mein) every Sunday for over two years. It is produced by another Christian production company called Mercury Creations; the CEO is one Antony. The programme is anchored by one Gopinath, also a Christian. It is basically a discussion forum wherein two teams (one ‘for’ and one ‘against’) debate a subject before a chief guest (a supposed celebrity), and finally the chief guest and anchor declare their ‘verdict’ in conformity with the ‘motive’ of the producer firm.

It has been noticed that this company invariably takes Hindu oriented subjects for discussion, and demeans Hindu culture, insults Hindu tradition and wounds the religious sentiments of Hindus, planting seeds of poison in the minds of gullible viewers (mostly Hindus) so that they suspect and distrust their own cultural heritage and religious traditions.

A few weeks ago, for instance, the channel telecast a debate: “Do we need to worship the Kula Devatas?” The debate was organized between ‘elders’ and ‘youngsters’, elders talking about Kula Devata worship and youngsters against it. It programme would certainly have impacted upon the innocent minds of the next generation against Kula Devata worship.

Similarly sensitive topics like, “Why not we have Tamil archana in temples?”, “Why should we have only Brahmins as archagas in Agamic temples?” have been debated with the motive of ridiculing Vedic and Agamic principles and to project only so-called Brahminism as Hinduism. These topics were utilized to the hilt to create a rift between Purohits and Pujaris and alienate worshippers of village deities. Another topic “Which is better, arranged marriage or love marriage?” saw Hindu customs ridiculed.

Normally, the participants, who are supposed to talk in favour of the production company’s motive, are handpicked by the company; even if the other team’s participants perform better, their arguments get edited. This writer has had the personal experience of participating in one such programme, anchored by the same Gopinath.

Unfortunately, most participants are Hindus who simply come to show their faces on television without realizing that they are also playing a part in the denigration of their religion and culture. For such persons, seeing themselves on the TV screen is a big achievement, to boast about in the neighbourhood. This is a reason for the obsession with sending children to so-called ‘Reality Shows’, which smack of indecency and even vulgarity.

Vijay TV’s audacious show

The last debate telecast by Vijay TV must be viewed in this backdrop and the topic debated on Sunday, 11 October 2009, between 9 pm and 10 pm (primetime Sunday) was, “Should the Mangalsutra be necessarily worn by women?”

In course of the debate, the sacred Hindu custom was ridiculed in demeaning terms and the Mangalsutra termed as just an ‘ordinary thing’ which need not be worn. Some of the outrageous comments made by the anchor and some participants include:

- Wearing the Mangalsutra is only a superstition; it doesn’t have any sanctity attached to it; the Mangalsutra is just an ordinary thing.

- Most women do not wear it nowadays.

- Women who go out for jobs do not want to show themselves as ‘married’ and hence they conceal their Mangalsutra inside their blouses.

- A lot of women do not wear it while sleeping at night.

- Many women do not wear it while going out and prefer to leave it at home.

- It is like a dog’s license hanging round the neck. The Mangalsutra is only a marriage license and doesn’t have any sanctity (comment by a Christian lady)

The arrogant Gopinath asked a participant who supported wearing Mangalsutras if she would remove hers if a doctor asked her to do so before a surgery. The lady replied that she would obey the doctor and wear it again after the surgery. The anchor teased her, “Will you do whatever the doctor says?” which made her squirm in embarrassment.

In a shocking incident, one lady simply removed her Mangalsutra and handed it over to the anchor when he asked for it. Chief guest Nirmala Periyasamy, a former news reader in SUN TV, who belongs to the school of Dravidian thought, gave the ‘Best Participant’ prize to this lady. When the prize was handed over, the anchor forced the other participants to applaud her for her ‘courage’ and ‘rational’ thinking.

It was obvious that this lady and others who spoke against the sanctity of the Mangalsutra were handpicked by the production company and that the arguments of the opposite team have been edited sharply. The anchor openly bullied participants who spoke in support of wearing the Mangalsutra and the sanctity attached to it. One can imagine the adverse impact this programme could have made on the minds of young girls and innocents in semi-urban and rural areas

It is shocking and reveals as to how we are meek spectators to many insults and humiliations happening around us.A big mass is required to tirade against such people.
As long as we are submissive they will will sit over us. Right now I am doing as directed.

dear all,
i just want to highlight a few points. i feel the Censorboards for films in India should have strict guidelines with regards about potrayal of religion in movies.
i have grown up in Malaysia watching Tamil movies and many times witness scenes where God is always blamed when things go wrong. The famous one liner that says
" You are not God but just a stone"
i have seen many Amman movies where women shout at the statue of the Goddesses blaming Her when their husbands life is in danger, accusing Her of being a Thali Hungry entity.
also these days Mantras are being made into songs with suggestive dances.
suggestive dances are fine but just leave Mantras out of it.
it is invariably a Hindu mantra or a Hindu God which is always ridiculed.
there was one scene in a tamil movie where a mute girl breaks the tongue of the Goddess with a stone when she faced a grave problem.this scene was censored by the Malaysian censor board.
other religions divine entities are never potrayed negatively or made fun of, i guess because the response from other religions would be different.
but suprisingly its always a hindu who makes fun of another hindu.
may be stricter guideliness should be imposed by the Indian Censor Boards regarding religious sentiments in movies for all religions.

I strongly condemn the program by Vijay TV and I am believe they will not do a program insulting the sentiments of Hindus in future.
alwan

I have registered my protest, I am ashamed of those participants (see the streams here
YouTube - Vijay tv Neeya Naana - Thaali Thevaya Illaya - 11-10-2009- Part 1

How dare he conduct such a debates. Pay the price for being secular.

Nenju Porukkidillaiye!!!!!...

Enna Dairiyam, Tamil naatila mattum thaan nadakkum...

DMK is bent upon proving that Tamils are not Hindus..

On clicking the link I land up in "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation."
How is this?.. Who has done this removal?.Does any other members too got similar msg.

On clicking the link I land up in "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation."
How is this?.. Who has done this removal?.Does any other members too got similar msg.

I never imagined that they will do it so quickly. I posted my comments there under the video, how badly it has affected our belief. It seems they have removed the entire group under the title. Just a while ago, i downloaded the first part before posting that
How can i upload here? its 25mb file. i could not see even for few minutes.

How dare he conduct such a debates. Pay the price for being secular.

Nenju Porukkidillaiye!!!!!...

Why sir, why such debates are not to be conducted? After reading all the consternations expressed here I spent more than an hour watching 8 parts of the show. Here is the link that is till active I believe for part 1.

Neeya Naana - 11-10-2009 | Neeya Naana - Thaali Thevaya Illaya - Part 1

My wife also joined me and it was great fun. The show was funny, serious, respectful, balanced and thought provoking. If anything, I wish there are many more shows that deal with the "sacred cows" of our tradition in the same balanced and respectful way this debate was conducted in this show. I wonder how many of those who registered their protest actually saw the show. If you did, then I am really sorry for you.

BTW, thirumangalyam is not part of the Vedic wedding ritual. It does not have any religious significance, only emotional. Saptapati is what is important for a Vedic wedding.

Grow up!!!

dear all,
religious and cultural sentiments of any section or subsection of any society and religion should not be ridiculed.
why is it invariably a Hindu belief or practise that is always debatable?
why other religion's culture and beliefs are never made debatable.(no one dare question others because response might not be within the norms of Ahimsa)
maybe its because Hindus practise Ahimsa and never retaliate but when there is a need there is no harm defending ourselves after all "we didnt start the fire".

I echo the sentiments of Shri Nara.

I think we should all recognize that 'Dialogue' is an important tool in a democratic society ; As much as 'Thaali' is sacred to many women, we should also recognize that some may not attach the same kind of importance.

Just because we dont like someone's views, we shouldnt shut their voices or the dialogue process.

Throughout the program, i got a sense that there was no 'imposition' of a particular view ; infact the format of the program is to 'place contradictory views' and encourage a freewheeling discussion.

Feeling of insult to Hindu belief et all, in my view is carrying it a bit too far.

The lady who did the supposedly daring act of removing her thaali was presumably a brahmin which shouldnt be the reason why we are up in arms against Vijay TV.

Having said this, i personally dont believe that not wearing a thaali alone is a sign of progressive views. As much as Thaali is symbolic, not wearing a thaali is also symbolic form of progressiveness.

And pray, secularism has nothing to do with this debate. Gopinath may be a christian by choice but that doesnt mean that he cannot anchor a debate concerning the Hindus. Then are we to stretch this argument to levels that a Muslim President doesnt greet the nation on Diwali or a Hindu President doesnt do so for an 'Eid-ul-Fitr'.

There's no doubt that Secularism is an over-stretched concept in India ; I have a sneaking doubt that 90% of Indians dont know what is Secularism.

Secularism isnt a cover to protect sacred cows or is it a means to encourage social taboos.

Tongue firmly in my cheek, I dont think that we should emulate the 'Thaali'ban by seeking a ban on discussions re: thaali. :)

i am sure enough people understand secularism because its mostly Hindus who practice secularism.
Most Hindus are tolerant, respect the views of others and live in peace and harmony with other communities.
We are the ones who say "Loka Samastha Sukhinoh Bhavantu"
We do not practise the "Mamaiva" concept and at times this can cause us being taken for granted.

Legally sapthapathi is considered as completion of marriage. There is enough court judgements saying unless Sapthapathi is completed, the marriage is not complete.

Saptapadi Question & Answers - Ask & Answer Questions on Saptapadi - ibibo sawaal

However Hindu customs and particularly brahmin custom changes among different communities and languages.

Last week I attended a Telugu brahmin (Smartha) marriage where `Kannigadhaanam' is the most auspicious function. The time they fix is in minute ( like 7.49 AM) where Kannigadhaanam function is performed. Lot of arguments were made in some other thread about same Gothra marriage. But in the Telugu brahmin marriage, Gothra pronouncing function is a big event before Kannigadhanam. Vadhyars of both sides loudly announce three plus one generation of both sides of the parents with Gothras so that no one in the audience has objection for the marriage. Kannigadhaanam is a very important function where the receiver of the gift takes Mahavishnu Swarupa and accepts Dhaanam. Both the doner and receiver of Dhaanam are blessed unlike other Dhaanams were the doner is suppose to get benefit and the receiver is not.

Even in Tamil Brahmin marriages, three generations of parents along with Gothras are announced but I feel we should give more importance to the Gothra invoking function like our Telugu counterparts. Apart from Sapthapathi, Kannigadhanam, Mangalyadharanam and Panigrahanam are also important functions as per our vedic rites.

I think we should not mix legal position and vedic rites. Practices changes within different sections and languages within Brahmin community itself but all the above functions are important.

All the best

Mangalyam Thantunanena Mama Jeevana Hetuhna
Kanthe Badnaami Subhage
Samjeevam Sharada Shatam
( i hereby fasten/tie this sacred thread/string around thy neck which represents my life, dear auspicious one may we live to witness 100 autumns)

i am sure the magalsutra is of significance because in the Shri Lalitaa Sahasra Naamaavalih:

line 30:Om Kaamesha Baddha Maangalya Sootra Shobhita Kandharaayai Namah:

meaning: Salutations to Her whose neck is adorned with the Mangalsutra fastened theron by her consort Kaamesvara

Just happened to view until part 4 of the thali episode of Neeya Naana. Neeya Naana - 11-10-2009 | Neeya Naana - Thaali Thevaya Illaya - Part 3

I have removed the thali several times, during some x-rays, scans, surgeries, sky diving simulations, some treks, during facials...i did not think whether it was a good or bad thing to do...just did as the circumstances warranted.

My mother lost her thali a long back once, she was so upset that she did not wear an other one for a long time after that. She lost her thali twice again, but she simply lost her fear of loss by then. Fearing repeated bad luck from happening again, she kept her thali locked in an almirah for a few years so that she does not lose it again. She started wearing the thali regularly only after retirement.

One of my mum's friend's thali got stolen in a hospital; and that lady too was very upset, did not want to lose her thali again, so decided she does not want to wear another one.

Surely women who do not wear the thali love their husband, children and family just as much others do (and perhaps instead of just talking, they work much harder for the betterment of their families as well).....

And i suppose there are women who cannot really be bothered about being moral judges, or deciding whether some people or their actions are right or wrong.
----------------

-deleted- not relevant to topic i think.

Last edited:
Dr. Renuka,

'Kallaa, Kadavulaa?' ennum ungal kelvikku, ennudaiya vidai idho.

Attachments

• KALLIL VAZHUM MANGAI ILLAI.jpg
    KALLIL VAZHUM MANGAI ILLAI.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 192
  • KALLIL VAZHUM MANGAI ILLAI -2.jpg
    KALLIL VAZHUM MANGAI ILLAI -2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 155
*** posted as a member and these are my personal views only. has got nothing to do with the site. so, dont get confused :) ***

I must say i am amused and in a pretty much sad at the "backward" approach. Given the current modern society, the discussion was an apt one and i do not see any reason why ppl should jump on Vijay TV and want them to be banned of all things.

As Nara, Hariharan1972 and HH said, why make a big fuss out of something trivial.

As a community, we need to grow up and be "intune" with the modern society so as to co-exist with all with our traditions etc.. all intact.

The simple reason why we are where we are is our "arrogance" and "refusal to" change with the times...

Everything said and done, we are not in an island and we must adjust to the times inorder to be heard.

The whole program talks about various sensitive topics and this happened to be one such discussion. And they have not taken a stand on it too.. they just let people discuss, thats all.

*** posted as a member and these are my personal views only. has got nothing to do with the site. so, dont get confused :) ***

Dear Praveen,

I appreciate your views. But, please consider these too.

1. A growing society has to put to review its own customs and practices.

2. But, an outsider has no locus standi to condemn, except crticizing, such things.

3. Again rewarding a woman for removing her mangalasutra in the presence of all
and prodding others to applaud her action is a clear indication that there was
a set agenda or motive for the programme itself.

4. As we advise our own people, why elderly people from 'their own' ilk did not
intervene and chide these people for openly belittling a community, that is telecast
worldwide? We expect similar maturity and reasonable behaviour from that side
too.

5. I have not sent any protest message, as I am sure, they will not care for all these.

I must say i am amused and in a pretty much sad at the "backward" approach. Given the current modern society, the discussion was an apt one and i do not see any reason why ppl should jump on Vijay TV and want them to be banned of all things.

As Nara, Hariharan1972 and HH said, why make a big fuss out of something trivial.

As a community, we need to grow up and be "intune" with the modern society so as to co-exist with all with our traditions etc.. all intact.

The simple reason why we are where we are is our "arrogance" and "refusal to" change with the times...

Everything said and done, we are not in an island and we must adjust to the times inorder to be heard.

The whole program talks about various sensitive topics and this happened to be one such discussion. And they have not taken a stand on it too.. they just let people discuss, thats all.

I for one believe that topics which are of sensitive nature should not be openly discussed by the media whether Hindus wearing a mangalsutra or a Christian wearing a cross or a Muslim wearing a Hijab. Nothing fruitful comes out of these discussions and they will only inflame passions. There are beliefs within each religion and to which people cling on and as long as they don't cause harm to anyone it is a personal belief. If a particular belief is considered regressive, it should be be decided within the community itself and not made a public spectacle. What is progressive to one may be regressive to another in these issues of faith so there is no end to this debate.

There are many other pressing issues to be discussed in the country today than discussing about mangalsutra or kuladeivata and so on. And the dumb public is just playing along. My question is
1. Is the program discussing more about Hindu sensitive topics as the complaint says? Is there unedited footage and what does it contain? How genuine are the participants? It is true a lot of people would just play up to the hype. May be someone can comment on it. If it is then definitely there is a vested interest in subtly discrediting a religion.
2. What is the position in the West? Do you have channels discussing Christian sensitive topics or non-Christian sensitive topics? I always think that Western Christians care two hoots about things like this.
3. The position of Islamic countries is quite clear. It does not permit discussing things which are Islamic though may gleefully thrash things which are un-Islamic.

Banning may be a short-term solution but not the ideal way to go. If at all one should do is explain the significance of such customs within the community so one feels proud about it or not so proud about it. Better to strengthen one's fortress than go and attack another.

Sri Nara,

I have reacted because, Hindu belief is debated among those who may not have a full knowledge of it. The first thing, if anybody is ignorant about vedas its a failure of Brahmana whose prime duty to teach vedas. Though I understand that its not in vedas, i am uploading a file containing the detailed analysis of the "Mangala Dharanam". Hindu believes are mostly introduced by vedics after debates. So, its not a common man's sin, for not knowing the reason for his belief. They may not have so much "Paguththarivu" as some of us do.

The point is, why debates are happening only targeting Hindus in this "Secular" country, anybody, anywhere, in any media, debated about other religions thriving in our "Secular Country. We are seeing so aggressive designs of other religions, making a mockery of hindus (latest being the Zakir Naik's islamic conference held in Mumbai for Non muslims(!)) in this month, and Kandamal incidents, and Thenkasi communal riot (care to know the details as much as we analyze vedas?), the problem has already arrived at the tamils hindus Mutram. Still if we choose to ignore it, well, at this rate, we would be one day following the believes of Christian or muslim whose we are very happy to embrace and call it modern.

Secularism is not something like "en pondatiyoda periya sandaya ponathu

Enna aachu,

enna Ava adikka, Ava ennaya adikkannu ore sandai. (!).

Secularism in India. This is the only country where 17% decides 83% lives.

Sri Praveen,

//As a community, we need to grow up and be "intune" with the modern society so as to co-exist with all with our traditions etc.. all intact.

The simple reason why we are where we are is our "arrogance" and "refusal to" change with the times...//

I beg to differ on this. It is not so simple. We were ready to ditch our other community people at the drop of a hat, for status, wealth. Let us read the history, how many of us sided with Moguls when they invaded and british when they invaded. Majority of us. Not exceptions, Great souls.

I came from a poor family who achieved a decent position within 20 years of my own with a few NB friends associations, its primarily because my B frinds were also in need of help and they were too financially poor. I had a golden opportunity to live in a society where different castes were living in a absolute harmony even though majority were not rich and they did not care that. (I have lived in agraharams before 25 years for approx 15 years, with more than 1000 brahmin families with full colours).

We started to treat the other caste as the lower one, when we should not. We never cared the welfare of other castes. There the fall started. Now we want to join with masses, because they are culturally more progressed. Why did not we care when they really really needed our advise (when they were looking at us for advises as were the only learned community) and when they had respect on our community. I still remember, when I was a child, almost all the other caste irrespective of age, or social status respected brahmin children and community. They had a great respect for brahmin women too. Why that was changed? I still remembered how it was getting transformed. Same society doesn't care any brahmins any more.

Naturally nobody holds a grudge on a person or community so long. But, please look at our community, The majority is hating a 4% community who can never fight, why? We lived in a island not because we are following the rituals stubbornly, but because we were boasting about that and treated others like lower mortals, more worst we never cared beyond ones own family.

The latest Example, when I shared this, with my NB friends their first reaction was more worse than that of mine. Their first reaction is why such believes are debated in the media. The media has so much stooped, so that they provide programs without any real good intentions.

I really did not want to hurt anybody. My sentiments are, we have to remove the hatred the other communities are having on us, by not acting "Metha Padiththavar". we should help them to show that we are not all that selfish race. we should create harmony for our future gen. For that we need to care our customs and believes.

I request our esteemed members who spent their time once in agraharam, who really love that experience, honestly tell about how they treated other castes at that time.

As a brahmin, It is our duty to preserve our Hindu Dharma, in the way possible to ones own capacity as we are once from brahmana. Hindu Dharma basically is standing on the brahmana's ideology, the rituals and customs were not imposed by a laymen. Only vedics can do this as per our veda. As i said in other post about conversion, once brahmin's belief are broken then the believes of other castes are very simple to break.

Sorry to pour my mind out. Please feel free to delete any of this if it is not complying to our forum rules. I respect that.

Regards
PV

Attachments

• 12856007-Maangalya-DharaNam-Origin-and-meaning.pdf
    167.2 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Dear Anandb sir,

I was drafting my response, and when i uploaded i saw your msg.

I could have waited, your response is what I wanted to express :nod:.

But I think i could not make it the way you did it.

Excellent.

Mine are in green below.

Dear Praveen,

I appreciate your views. But, please consider these too.

1. A growing society has to put to review its own customs and practices.

Yes. it's needs to do that. But my concern, the growing society as we (i) see it currently is predominantly anti-brahmin. so, there are things that will be done just to "irritate" us and and make us lose our cool. But aslong as within the community, we "educate" our people about these cultures and values, watever the "society" does should not be a concern to us.
Once we have established a foothold, then we can "go against" these.

Also, our community is also growing. the current set of people (in my age group) do not want to be seen as a x or y. They are more keen to establish a name for themselves in this "rat race". Hence watever it takes to get that, is what they are doing. Ofcourse as a individual, i am guilty of the same... but i dont work for anyone else.. so i am least worried.

I, personally, know a lot of people who are traditional but at the same time feel some of the things have lost their "use" and at this moment is more of a factor that stifles them.

Maybe, is it time for the overall customs and practices to undergo a change keeping in view with the changing times and socio-economic factors?

2. But, an outsider has no locus standi to condemn, except crticizing, such things.

An outsider's job is to stir things up and see who wins so as to join their side..

3. Again rewarding a woman for removing her mangalasutra in the presence of all and prodding others to applaud her action is a clear indication that there was a set agenda or motive for the programme itself.

Maximum TRP's... its as simple as that. as CNN IBN says, watever it takes... to achieve the viewership. Just a publicity stunt, thats all.

4. As we advise our own people, why elderly people from 'their own' ilk did not
intervene and chide these people for openly belittling a community, that is telecast
worldwide? We expect similar maturity and reasonable behaviour from that side
too.

In a war, you cannot expect reasonable behaviour. In some ways, it is a war out there... But then again, i have not seen/heard any "elders" from our community voice their opinion against this. (correct me if i am wrong). why are they keeping quiet?

5. I have not sent any protest message, as I am sure, they will not care for all these.

Very true.

Last edited:
Dear PVRaman

We lived in a island not because we are following the rituals stubbornly, but because we were boasting about that and treated others like lower mortals, more worst we never cared beyond ones own family.

Sorry, if my words painted a different picture, this is extract what i wanted to convey.
What i meant my arrogance is what u have said above.

Dear Anandb

Better to strengthen one's fortress than go and attack another.

exactly my sentiments.. just do not give a ear to watever nonsense they discuss... act as if you are not concerned, but keep working to strengthen the base and fortify ourselves.

when the time is right, march forward :)

I did watch the program and i felt it was a more of a general discussion without any specific "community" remarks. Its a pity the female who took it out, looked more like a brahmin than any other.
even the host seemed like a neutral guy with a view to have a discussion on the importance of thaali and its current value with modern people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back