• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vedas-104: Adhyathmic meanings of Veda mantras (continued...)

R. Narayanaswami

This post has an identifier as "Vedas - 104" in addition to its title of "Adhyathmic Meanings of Veda Mantras (Continued ..)".
The ID "Vedas-104" is chosen for this post because the 3 previous posts "Power of Veda mantras" will be given identifier of "Vedas - 101" and "Meanings of Veda mantras" the identifier "Vedas - 102" and the "Meanings of the Veda Mantras (continued)" the identifier "Vedas - 103". Future Veda posts in this series will be numbered with 105, 106 etc.

This post looks at 2 specific examples of partial Veda Mantras from Rig Veda to understand how the meanings of the Veda mantras change by use of spiritual meanings.

1. Phrase of Veda Mantra from RV (1.7.3): “gōbhiḥ adrim airayat”
gō: cow, water (Sayana), the direct word meaning; ray of knowledge (spiritual meaning)
adri: hill (real meaning, added by author), cloud (used by Sayana); force of ignorance (spiritual)
airayat: destroyed.

The "go" and "adrim" words were explained with direct and adhyathmic meanings in previous post, "Vedas-103" also.

Translation 1 (Spiritual meaning): (Indra) destroyed the forces of ignorance with the knowledge.
Translation 2 (Sayana): (Indra) charged the clouds with water.
Translation 3 (Griffith): (Indra) smashed the hill for getting the cows.
Analysis: “It is difficult to understand Translation 3. Even if there is information or knowledge that the cows are in (inside) the hill, by smashing the hill even the cows are destroyed with the hill. Translation 2 is acceptable, as part of the external word meanings, but where is the wisdom in the Mantra?”

2. Phrase of Veda Mantra from RV (1.53.4): “nirundhānō amatim gōbhir asvina”
nirundhānō: dispel
amatim: ignorance. Sayana assigns the meaning of ‘poverty’
gōbhir: cows (Sayana), Light (of knowledge) (spiritual meaning)
ashvina: horses (Sayana) Life energy (spiritual meaning)

Translation 1 (Spiritual meaning): Dispel our ignorance using the Light and Life energies.
Translation 2 (Sayana): Dispel our poverty by (giving us) cows and horses.

Analysis: “Sayana does not state how he assigned the meaning of ‘poverty’ to ‘amati’”

From these 2 examples, it may be noted that the spiritual and psychological meaning is the true meaning intended by the Veda mantras. This secret was known to the Rishis of the Vedas who taught it to their initiate disciples. The outer meaning acts as a cloak for preserving the true meaning from exposure to persons not prepared for their practice. In many places, Sayana’s explanations may not be useful even for his own purposes of outer yajna. Griffith’s meanings in many places do not make sense at all (that may be why he concluded that Vedas have no value and devoid of wisdom instead of concluding that he has not understood the true meanings of the Veda mantras).

The reason that many persons were not able to understand the spirituality and wisdom of the Vedas may be due to Veda Mantra meanings explained ONLY using with direct or external word meanings. After the early 20th century of works of Sri Aurobindo (SA) and works of Prof Kashyap by the end of the 20th century and early 21st century, we now have the full spiritual meanings available. Further posts in this series will attempt to explain the spirituality and wisdom in the Vedas.

This post has an identifier as "Vedas - 104" in addition to its title of "Adhyathmic Meanings of Veda Mantras (Continued ..)".
The ID "Vedas-104" is chosen for this post because the 3 previous posts "Power of Veda mantras" will be given identifier of "Vedas - 101" and "Meanings of Veda mantras" the identifier "Vedas - 102" and the "Meanings of the Veda Mantras (continued)" the identifier "Vedas - 103". Future Veda posts in this series will be numbered with 105, 106 etc.

This post looks at 2 specific examples of partial Veda Mantras from Rig Veda to understand how the meanings of the Veda mantras change by use of spiritual meanings.

1. Phrase of Veda Mantra from RV (1.7.3): “gōbhiḥ adrim airayat”
gō: cow, water (Sayana), the direct word meaning; ray of knowledge (spiritual meaning)
adri: hill (real meaning, added by author), cloud (used by Sayana); force of ignorance (spiritual)
airayat: destroyed.

The "go" and "adrim" words were explained with direct and adhyathmic meanings in previous post, "Vedas-103" also.

Translation 1 (Spiritual meaning): (Indra) destroyed the forces of ignorance with the knowledge.
Translation 2 (Sayana): (Indra) charged the clouds with water.
Translation 3 (Griffith): (Indra) smashed the hill for getting the cows.
Analysis: “It is difficult to understand Translation 3. Even if there is information or knowledge that the cows are in (inside) the hill, by smashing the hill even the cows are destroyed with the hill. Translation 2 is acceptable, as part of the external word meanings, but where is the wisdom in the Mantra?”

2. Phrase of Veda Mantra from RV (1.53.4): “nirundhānō amatim gōbhir asvina”
nirundhānō: dispel
amatim: ignorance. Sayana assigns the meaning of ‘poverty’
gōbhir: cows (Sayana), Light (of knowledge) (spiritual meaning)
ashvina: horses (Sayana) Life energy (spiritual meaning)

Translation 1 (Spiritual meaning): Dispel our ignorance using the Light and Life energies.
Translation 2 (Sayana): Dispel our poverty by (giving us) cows and horses.

Analysis: “Sayana does not state how he assigned the meaning of ‘poverty’ to ‘amati’”

From these 2 examples, it may be noted that the spiritual and psychological meaning is the true meaning intended by the Veda mantras. This secret was known to the Rishis of the Vedas who taught it to their initiate disciples. The outer meaning acts as a cloak for preserving the true meaning from exposure to persons not prepared for their practice. In many places, Sayana’s explanations may not be useful even for his own purposes of outer yajna. Griffith’s meanings in many places do not make sense at all (that may be why he concluded that Vedas have no value and devoid of wisdom instead of concluding that he has not understood the true meanings of the Veda mantras).

The reason that many persons were not able to understand the spirituality and wisdom of the Vedas may be due to Veda Mantra meanings explained ONLY using with direct or external word meanings. After the early 20th century of works of Sri Aurobindo (SA) and works of Prof Kashyap by the end of the 20th century and early 21st century, we now have the full spiritual meanings available. Further posts in this series will attempt to explain the spirituality and wisdom in the Vedas.
Dear Sir,
Where can I these explanations?
Could you post more please?

Thank you for your query.
Sri Aurobindo’s publications on the Vedas and Prof Kashyap’s publications ([email protected]) of over 60 are the authoritative texts on this matter. I have written “Understanding the Vedas” published by Amazon both as kindle ebook ($7.95) and as paperback ($14.95). My book provides an authentic discussion of all the scriptural texts that came out of the Vedas from its days of origin of antiquity of 6000 BCE to the present days of 2020. There are over 20+ reviews on Amazon that you can review before deciding to buy the book.

I shall try to write a few more posts that will shed more light on the Vedas. But difficult to provide the contents of a 300+ page book in posts as you will agree.

Thank you for your query.
Sri Aurobindo’s publications on the Vedas and Prof Kashyap’s publications ([email protected]) of over 60 are the authoritative texts on this matter. I have written “Understanding the Vedas” published by Amazon both as kindle ebook ($7.95) and as paperback ($14.95). My book provides an authentic discussion of all the scriptural texts that came out of the Vedas from its days of origin of antiquity of 6000 BCE to the present days of 2020. There are over 20+ reviews on Amazon that you can review before deciding to buy the book.

I shall try to write a few more posts that will shed more light on the Vedas. But difficult to provide the contents of a 300+ page book in posts as you will agree.
Dear Sir,
I tried buying the kindle edition but its amazon states that its not available currently.
I do hope it would be available soon.

I do have Aurobindo's Secret of the Veda but it does not have a verse to verse translation like how you have posted.

Regarding reviews..usually I dont read reviews to decide on buying a book..I just click " look inside" and get a rough idea and then buy it cos personal opinion matters..many a times good books get negative reviews because some people's opinions differ.

I for sure want to buy the kindle format of your book..but sadly its not available at present.

Is there any reason why its not available?

Dear Sir,
I tried buying the kindle edition but its amazon states that its not available currently.
I do hope it would be available soon.

I do have Aurobindo's Secret of the Veda but it does not have a verse to verse translation like how you have posted.

Regarding reviews..usually I dont read reviews to decide on buying a book..I just click " look inside" and get a rough idea and then buy it cos personal opinion matters..many a times good books get negative reviews because some people's opinions differ.

I for sure want to buy the kindle format of your book..but sadly its not available at present.

Is there any reason why its not available?
Thanks for your furthervquestion.
Amazon has worldwide rights for
Kindle ebook sales, so am surprised to note your difficulty to purchase the kindle ebook.

I have heard from a few of my friends that if you made your order via IPAD or iPhone, Amazon is not likely to honor such requests by giving ‘some’ nonresponse like answers. So first question is: did your attempt to buy was initiated from either of those 2 devices. If so, the suggestion that I will make is to try placing the order from your desktop.
If not, please let me know the Amazon marketplace that you tried to order the kindle ebook so that I may take up the matter with the particular Amazon marketplace and try to resolve the matter.
Reg paper back versions - I know you are not trying to purchase paper back version but I am adding this to the benefit of other readers: Amazon is not selling paperbacks in India. SAKSHI Trust, Bengaluru, is publishing and selling the paperback version in India. Their contact details are: [email protected] and cell phone contact is: 9008833886 or 9880948948

I am happy to note that you have already read the ‘Secret of Veda’. This is a great book that sets the basis for the spiritual and psychological meanings of Veda Mantras. You are right, it does not contain the phrases of mantras given by the 3 translators stated in my Vedas - 104 post which comes from T. V. Kapali Sastry’s work edited by Prof Kashyap and referenced in my book. SA has published the meanings of about 3000 RV mantras (out of total 10,552 mantras in RV) in various other publications including Hymns to the Mystic Fire (HMF).
Hope this writeup answers all points raised in your email.

Dear Sir,
I am not an Indian citizen.
I am a Malaysian citizen, I am purchasing it through my lap top/desk top at Amazon USA website.
It shows kindle format not available.
Honestly I prefer paperback version but becos of Covid Lockdown in Malaysia deliveries are delayed and I am making do with Kindle format.
I had just purchased The Heart of The Quran 2 days ago Kindle Format and I had no issues...so it cant be an issue with the platform cos the purchase came through.
Even the Secret of Vedas by Aurobindo I had purchased recently the Kindle format too.

You can see here it shows Kindle format currently not available for purchase when you click the Kindle icon.
"The Kindle title is not currently available for purchase"

Last edited:
Dear Sir,
I am not an Indian citizen.
I am a Malaysian citizen, I am purchasing it through my lap top at Amazon USA website.
It shows kindle format not available.
Honestly I prefer paperback version but becos of Covid Lockdown in Malaysia deliveries are delayed and I prefer Kindle format.
I had just purchased The Heart of The Quran 2 days ago Kindle Format and I had no issues.

You can see here it shows Kindle format currently not available for purchase when you click the Kindle icon.
"The Kindle title is not currently available for purchase"

Please send me your email. I shall try to see whether I can buy a kindle version and have it sent to your email id as a gift.

Please send me your email. I shall try to see whether I can buy a kindle version and have it sent to your email id as a gift.
Dear Sir,
That wouldnt be fair to you cos the price I pay for the book I would consider as my duty to pay for the wisdom I am gaining.
I would order the paperback and wait for it.
That would be fair to you too.

Regards

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I agree. I was only volunteering to help you out of this difficult situation.

I have another suggestion. Shipping paperback from USA is more expensive than shipping from India. I checked with SAKSHI Trust. Details:

Book price: INR 700
Shipping by Regd Post: Rs.420; Delivery in 8 edays
Shipping by Speedpost: Rs 1550; Delivery in 4 days.
Thus total cost inclusive of shipping will be either Rs. 1120 or USD $15 or USD $30.
Please contact them.

I am presently on travel and away from my home town & have access only via IPhone, so am not able to try to order to see why kindle says ‘not available’ Shall do after return.

Replying to Renuka:

Checking from my desktop computer, I find that amazon.com (US sales of Amazon) says "kindle versions' are available for sale "instantly".
I do not know how/why you got that 'kindle sales not available at this time' or some similar message that you got and wrote to me about which started our email sequence.

These discussions are now closed from my side.

Latest ads

Back