• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vedas 110 - Spiritualizing or Divinizing Life - 13 July 2021

R. Narayanaswami

Vedas 110 – Divinizing or Spiritualizing life – 13 July 2021

How human beings can achieve realizable divinity?
By divinizing life or spiritualizing life.

How?
By aspiring to divinize our life by inviting the devas (or gods) of Rig Veda to manifest their powers and presence within the human being.

How to aspire to divinize our life or how to invite the devas?
Rig Vedic Rishis have experienced the presence of devas by inviting the deva or devas by chanting the Veda mantras for the deva. In other words, Rishis have the experience of inviting the devas to them (to their inner being or to their subtle bodies) by chanting the Veda mantras for the deva and such devas accepting the invitation and taking birth in them by placing an emanation of the deva or devas in the Rishi. Once the deva places an emanation of the deva in the Rishi, the emanation grows within, by continuing chanting the Veda mantras and the aspirations for the deva, just like a seed that we plant sprouts at first, then grows into a plant and eventually to a big tree. And the full power of the deva manifests in the Rishi. All the while, the Rishi continues to do his daily work of teaching his disciples, leading a householder’s life, doing his meditations etc. In other words, Rishis have direct experience of the benefits of inviting the devas by chanting the Veda mantras. Hence this advice and help they provide to the human beings is based on lived experience, or, based on their ‘anubhavam’ or experience. In other words, they have experimentally proved their hypothesis that inviting the devas by chanting the Veda mantras for the deva will ensure the deva planting an emanation in the chanter. Rishis have also felt that the emanation of the devas can be nurtured by continuing the daily chanting of the Veda mantras. This in turn allowed devas to transfer their psychological powers to the Rishis, which, divinized them and helped them perform all their tasks with perfection. Some of the devas are known as ‘ṛṣikṛts’ (meaning: Rishi makers) and those devas have helped make them Rishis. Human beings need not doubt the statements of the Rishis because these statements are based on their lived experience.

Thus, the road map for the human beings to aspire for divinity and to invite the devas by chanting the Veda mantras for the deva (whom the human beings want to invite) is laid down in the Vedas based on the lived experience of the Rishis. The human beings can continue doing whatever job or profession that they wish to pursue. The human beings who aspire for the devas and who chant the Veda Mantras for those devas will start observing that as the deva or the devas grow within, more and more of the tasks performed by the human beings become divinized and approach the all-round perfection of the task. The human being also will rise in consciousness levels which will help to see the tasks at hand with more and more clarity and the solution of such tasks becoming increasingly more perfect (because tasks completed with fuller understanding due to greater clarity).

It must be noted in this context that the divinization discussed in the Vedas by the Rishis and the devas, in the Sanatana Dharma context, is different from the divinization term used in the Semitic religions. This is because in the Vedas, the devas are defined as supra-physical beings with consciousness, (psychological) power and force and thus, the devas can transfer their psychological powers to the human seekers who aspire for the divinization. Some of these psychological powers and the associated devas: will-power (Agni), luminous mind (Indra), truth and harmony (Surya and Mitra & Varuna), emotional energy (Vayu), delight (Soma), intelligence and aspiration (Saraswathi) etc. Without having a strong will-power, it is difficult to begin and complete the tasks undertaken. It is also necessary to have ‘will-power with vision’ or ‘divine will-power’ because ‘human will-power’ may not be able to know what is good for the human being in the long-term. So, all human beings must aspire for, and invite Agni who has the psychological power of ‘divine will-power’, who is known as ‘kavi kratu’ as per RV (1.1.5). Having a ‘divine luminous mind’ is equally vital. Hence Deva Indra. There are 2,000 Mantras for Agni and 2,500 Mantras for Indra (out of total of 10,552 Mantras in the Rig Veda). One must also aspire for intelligence and aspiration. Hence goddess Saraswathi must also be prayed for. Thus, human beings aspiring for divinization and seeking the help of devas by chanting the Veda mantras for those devas and living a life of simplicity of satyam, tapas and shraddha (meaning, truth, disciplined spiritual practices and focused attention) will be granted such divine psychological powers possessed by these devas, as per the lived life of our Rishis.

Achieving all-sided perfection, according to the Vedas, is thus an expanded practice of aspiring for divinity and inviting the devas discussed in the previous paragraph and termed herein as spiritualizing our everyday life. Leading a life of simplicity or frugality of satyam, tapas and shraddha (Sanskrit compound word consisting of ‘shrat’ meaning our effort and ‘dha’ meaning supports, thus shraddha means ‘an intense faith which supports our efforts’), aspiring for divinity and inviting the devas by chanting of the Veda mantras, recognizing the existence of the Supreme Spirit (‘tat ēkam’) pervading and energizing every aspect of existence and invoking this Supreme Spirit in daily activities are ways to spiritualize one’s life.

It is worth stating here that ‘divinizing or spiritualizing one’s life’ does not mean that the human beings are requested to chant the Veda Mantras 24 X 7. No, not at all. Each human being has many other responsibilities like earning a living, raising a family, doing things enjoyable in life that make him/her and all members of the family lead a happy life etc. The Vedas encourage all human beings to do whatever makes them happy. Thus a substantial part of the human being’s time available in the day may be, or is, used up for his/her professional work. Beginning the day with worship and with chant of the Veda Mantras, whatever time each human being is able to assign for this activity, is part of spiritualizing one’s life. The Vedas state that the human beings while leading their life recognize that ‘tat ekam’ and the devas are ready to help if they aspire for their help. Whatever time one devotes to chant the Veda Mantras in each day is fine. The Rishis have shown by their living a householder’s life, teaching their disciples the Veda mantras, doing their meditation and receiving ‘revelations’ of Veda mantras and helping everyone – that one can do all these as part of their daily ‘spiritualized life’.

All human beings go about doing their tasks and daily life using their ordinary consciousness. Based on the individual’s levels of such ordinary consciousness and efforts (both quality and quantity), the task at hand may be completed with success or failure or mixed success and failure etc. What the Vedas teach is that by divinizing or spiritualizing life (as indicated above), human beings can elevate/transform ordinary consciousness to spiritual consciousness. Tasks done under the guidance of spiritual consciousness will rise to levels of perfection, even all-round perfection.

In other words, we must work on both: our ordinary consciousness that we feel always and act on results of what such ordinary consciousness of ours tell us to act or do. Vedas say that, in addition, we must expend our efforts to spiritualize all aspects of our everyday life. Once we are able to do that, per Vedas, we become part of spiritual consciousness that pervades the entire cosmos and its activities. Just like all cosmic activities work with clock-like precision, with harmony and all-round perfection, our activities will also begin to attain such all-round perfection and precision and harmony. And we will be able to lead our lives with harmony, perfection and happiness.

Another question here.

If one is supposed to recite the Veda mantras to invite the Devas but per tradition not everyone is "permitted" to chant these mantras.

It's fine if these mantras are not fully accessible to everyone but what lies in store for those who are not having the Janma or Guna for chanting the Vedic mantras?

So how would they be able to connect with the Devas?

Also you wrote this:
"It is worth stating here that ‘divinizing or spiritualizing one’s life’ does not mean that the human beings are requested to chant the Veda Mantras 24 X 7"

Is chanting just a mechanical one?
If one considers chanting a mechanical one, only then the idea of 24/7 comes in.
The effects of Chanting is supposed to be an "inner engineering" which goes on functioning in both the conscious mind and mostly in the subconscious mind like how an anti virus scans to remove any malicious link in the background.
The effect of Chanting would be like a "Parasympathetic system" which function sans our conscious awareness which eventually leads to Trikarana Suddhi(Purification of Thoughts, Word and Deed)

Therefore even by a little of chanting, the harmonizing effect felt would be multiplied and it need not be measured on a time scale.

Chapter 2 TEXT 40 Bhagavad Gita gives us an understanding of this:

nehabhikrama-naso 'sti
pratyavayo na vidyate
sv-alpam apy asya dharmasya
trayate mahato bhayat

TRANSLATION
In this endeavor there is no loss or diminution, and a little advancement on this path can protect one from the most dangerous type of fear.

Thanks Renuka for both emails & questions. This reply addresses both email questions.

(1) Regarding the point, "not everyone is permitted .... not having the Janam or Guna ....:

It is true that the 'chatur varnam maya srishtam" etc. and Brahmins tasked with the preservation and dissemination of the Vedas, the Guru-shishya parampara etc. etc. are all in the system.

Surya is a deva of RV. Does this prevent anyone doing "surya namaskar" or Sun Salutation including Veda mantras for Surya? who prevents non-brahmins of Hinduism or the Vedic phrase "nAnA dharmANam", various dharmas is the strict meaning, but used in the Vedas to denote other religion following people, from doing 'Surya Namaskar'? Not the Vedas in RLK, RN view. Maybe the religious heads of other religions do or can prevent their members from doing Surya namaskar, I don't know. As far as RLK and I and many knowledgeable people, we have no problems for ALL people to benefit from Surya Namaskar and other devas of the Vedas.

SAKSHI is teaching public school students from grades 3,4 and 5 about 108 Veda Mantras selected by RLK in his book, "Veda Saurabha". They first taught the teachers and gave them all tools to teach the students. At the end of each year, there was an oral test of chanting all 108 mantras. In 2 of those 5 years, girls who follow the Muslim faith were the winners of the annual chanting competition. This is in Bengaluru.

(2) the chanting need not be 24 X 7 statement of mine raising questions of "am I referring to mechanical chanting"

By now I would have thought that I would not be meaning "mechanical" in anything connected with our dharmic life or inviting devas. One needs to specifically assign a time to chant a few mantras every day as part of one's "sacred activity time allocation" compared to "professional activity time allocation" for those who have not started any 'sacred time allocation'. In that context I meant whatever one assigns is fine etc. But spiritualizing life will automatically happen whenever one thinks of 'tat ekam' or the 'deva' in the day. And eventually it will become 24 x 7 without the person knowing etc. But I did not want to scare people away at the beginning, especially who have thus far spent all their time on professional work and not any sacred work. That's all.

Hope these answers help.

These questions have been on my mind

1) where did the Vedic culture originate from?
Was it in ancient Bharat itself or it came in later as the so called Aryan migration theory goes.

Even Pandit Vaman Shastry( David Frawley) still is sort hinting a possible Aryan migration but he is saying its unlikely from Central Asia and he even suggest a possible maritime culture that is by migration by sea.

2) second question..

Did animal sacrifice actually happen?
I did read once in Kamakoti site that animal sacrifices did take place but done in a very specialized format for the greater good of the world like how animal lab testing serves so called greater good for humanity.

Swami Dayanand Saraswati of Arya Samaj says animal sacrifice did not happen.

Sathya Sai Baba too said animal sacrifice did not happen and its merely symbolic.

So what is your opinion on these based on your analysis,understanding and contemplation( I have to give you the benefit of the doubt that years of being a Vedic practitioner would have given you the access to receive " messages" of deeper insights)

Thanks Renuka for the email.
I shall try to answer the 2 questions

1. (a) It originated in the Indus Valley Civilization (IVC) in the Northwest parts of India. Also sometimes connected with the Indus Saraswathi Civilization (ISC) as well.
(b) It did not come from anywhere else.
(c) The so-called Aryan Invasion Theory (AIT) was created by the British beginning in the 1915 to 1920 time frame and pursued by different British authors till the 1940s or so, perhaps a few, British, Indologists or others, may still be harping on such theories even now. Those theories started unravelling from the 1950s onwards as Archaeological excavations in the North Western parts of India and the newly created Pakistan (after 1947partition of India) started unravelling. fairly soon thereafter, certainly by the 1980s that theory has been totally debunked.

2. Animal sacrifices may have happened. Even some places human sacrifices may also have happened. We have heard of all these.

What I can confirm is that "Animal sacrifices have NO support in the Vedas".

I admit, however, that Sayana Acharya, the first person to provide word-by-word meanings of ALL Veda Mantras in the 14th century CE (only the direct/external word meanings) in his work, Vedartha Prakasha, have explained certain Veda Mantras of the Krishna Yajur Veda Taittiriya Samhita (KYVTS) Kanda 1, Prapathaka 3, Anuvaka 8, a few mantras, as animal sacrifices. Prof Kashyap, my Guru and Teacher, in his Vol.1 of the 4 Volume translations of KYVTS has discussed the very same Mantras and explained the spiritual meanings, based on Sri Aurobindo's suggestions and guidelines, as pertaining to the inner meanings of the Yajna-performer seeking the body parts of the participants including the yajna-performer to be offered to divinity for purification and return. No animal or human sacrifices can be explained by the spiritual meanings of these mantras, per Prof Kashyap. My research and understanding and study also confirm the same conclusion of Prof Kashyap..

It is instructive to note in this context that the Vedas have stated that 'tat ekam' or 'ekam sat' is immanent in everything in this manifestation, animate and inanimate. Which scholar of the Vedas, who has accepted these Veda Mantras, can or will say that the "same Veda" also advocates 'killing' of animals (in whom 'tat ekam' is immanent)? "Ahimsa paramo dharma", "Vasudhaiva kutumbakam", "sarve Bhavanthu sukhinah" - these are the basic and elementary steps to be practiced per this Vedic Dharma.

Hope this helps.

This may not have much to do with this thread - I have been looking for somebody to explain the meaning of the Pinda daana mantras - chanted for the aahuti during the homam done in a sraartham - Will be grateful - thank you

Thanks Kamu for your email & the question.

I have seen your post with the open question about the meanings of the mantras used in the 'sraddham' functions. I do not have the mantras in the books that I have & so did not respond to your post. Since those mantras are used only twice a year (for my father's & mother's sraddhams), I do not remember them. I have been meaning to speak to my 'vadhyar' to get all the mantras used in the homa on sraddham days when the vadhyar will be in my house for the next sraddham (sometime in Nov). That is why I did not reply to your post so far.

The 'tarpana' mantras that we use every Amavasia days (and the four quarterly samkrama days) are simple & easy to translate and explain; these mantras mainly invite our pitrus to come of their own accord to be present at the tarpanam (meaning: a function done to 'please them') via the devayana path with the help of 'jatavedas' or Agni and attend these functions by themselves and return safely etc. We also offer our namaskarams to them, we ask the 'vadhyar' who conducts the tarpanam for us whether by the 'hiranya sraddham' done by us and the 'tamboolam' provided by us (to him), they (in the form of he) are fully satisfied etc. to which the vadhyar replies that they are indeed very pleased with what we did etc. We also seek their blessings from them. Each of the 9 mantra is different but essentially the gist is as stated above.

Hope this helps.

Another question here.

If one is supposed to recite the Veda mantras to invite the Devas but per tradition not everyone is "permitted" to chant these mantras.

It's fine if these mantras are not fully accessible to everyone but what lies in store for those who are not having the Janma or Guna for chanting the Vedic mantras?

So how would they be able to connect with the Devas?
It is partially true. I have seen in north India those who know Sanskrit well recite it. In the South first you have to teach right pronunciation and most have neither time, nor environment to learn - who can spent 4-6 hours chanting to memorize Sanskrit slokas. Now with youTube, if one wants he or she can learn and there is no body or person can stop it. Quoting historical troubles do not solve current problems. But mentioning the problem is worth examining.

Thanks Mani_Chennai for sharing your views in this discussion thread.

While I agree with your points, in general and since there was not any open question in your email for me to respond to, I am not adding anything as response to your observation and participation in this thread. One point for the general benefit of all, as follows, may be added in this context.

Jaimini's Purva Mimamsa Sutras established that the correct chanting of Veda Mantras in the yajnas will produce the rewards to the performers of the yajnas. All the Veda patashalas therefore teach the correct chanting and also the 'prayoga' or practice such students undergo after completion of their studies. Thus, the priests who have learnt all these with correct swaras conduct the yajnas for the community members having learnt and practiced the correct chanting. To individual members, while learning the correct chanting is always beneficial and additionally help them to chant along with the learned priests as well, correctly pronouncing all characters in the words of Veda Mantras, and understanding the meaning of the Veda Mantras, in my opinion, is more beneficial to invite the devas to their inner being. One's sincerity, devotion while inviting the devas with the Veda Mantras, in my opinion, will help to divinize oneself.

Thanks Mani_Chennai for sharing your views in this discussion thread.

While I agree with your points, in general and since there was not any open question in your email for me to respond to, I am not adding anything as response to your observation and participation in this thread. One point for the general benefit of all, as follows, may be added in this context.

Jaimini's Purva Mimamsa Sutras established that the correct chanting of Veda Mantras in the yajnas will produce the rewards to the performers of the yajnas. All the Veda patashalas therefore teach the correct chanting and also the 'prayoga' or practice such students undergo after completion of their studies. Thus, the priests who have learnt all these with correct swaras conduct the yajnas for the community members having learnt and practiced the correct chanting. To individual members, while learning the correct chanting is always beneficial and additionally help them to chant along with the learned priests as well, correctly pronouncing all characters in the words of Veda Mantras, and understanding the meaning of the Veda Mantras, in my opinion, is more beneficial to invite the devas to their inner being. One's sincerity, devotion while inviting the devas with the Veda Mantras, in my opinion, will help to divinize oneself.
Thanks for your detailed reply. it simply tells that you have read well. But how are you practicing in your life and what is your own honest understanding? This means, at least you must live in the days the semantics or meaning of what they said is known. The same words undergo changes. So, when we quote, we forget that we were not there at that time, thus it is our hearsay. So, when I met a real Sanyasi in Risikesh, he told me that he just believed what his teacher told him, but set ask your inner self to find the real meaning. That is tapasya. Since we have no living saint from those days to recite things, we accept the next best thing. So, I do not ask questions but search in myself the meaning of every thing. Some times I remain ignorant and I accept it as the destiny.
Sorry I am not writing this to insult you or your intelligence, since you are trying to help others.
I would not bother you and I have to find the answer myself.

Latest ads

Back