• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vedam

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most ancient scriptyure only refer to "tray vedaan"
Based on the above in the late 19th century there was a lot of discussion whether the Atarana Veda should be included in the list of the Major VedasFrom stray references in the Mahanaratha the atarvana Veda was called Atharvan-Angirasa smrtis and were associated with black majic etc
But references in the later upanishads and some grihya sutras refer to "Chatur Vedas"Based on the above it is to be concluded that Atharvana Veda is also one of the majot vedas,
THe term "Veda" strictly refer only to the Samhitas.The Aranyakas, etc do not form the core of the Vedas

respected sir,
my humble namaskarams to you,

my respectful salutations to the vedas and the people who are bestowed with the vedic knowledge.

what i have learnt in vedas is like a peck of sand in the vast sea shore. i have a great desire to learn and understand from our ancient knowledge of wisdom. i received your mail and am extremely happy to read the details you had sent about satyam and rtam.

i have one basic doubt. what is the absolute truth- satyam or rtam. for exammple: 'we say that sun rises in the east and sets in the west.' we must clearly understand that the sun is stationery. it is only the earth which is moving around. now my doubt is which is satyam and which is rtam in this example. the movement of sun from east to west is satyam or rtam. i hope i have made my doubt clear. my doubt may seem very basic and elementary. but that is my level of knowledge. kindly excuse me. it is only my passion for veda that is prompting me to write to learned people like you inspite of my limited knowledge.

one more doubt: the concept of sraddha - faith, where does it occur in veda. apart from the sraddha suktam. i wish i could talk to you . if it is ok by you you can mail your phone no. by which i can contact you.

for more detail about me: i am 46 years old with 2 sons. my elder son is doing his ph d in states and my second son is in his 12th std. i am into yoga sanskrit and veda and healing.

eagerly awaiting a reply from you
thanking you

usha

what i have learnt in vedas is like a peck of sand in the vast sea shore.

Sri Usha,
with regard to vedic knowledge, I think, we sail in the same boat. Perhaps, I may be less informed. This is first topic I have chosen to study and what little I have grasped, I am sharing with you. How far I am correct, only scholars can tell.

i have one basic doubt. what is the absolute truth- satyam or rtam. for example: 'we say that sun rises in the east and sets in the west.' we must clearly understand that the sun is stationery. it is only the earth which is moving around. now my doubt is which is satyam and which is rtam in this example. the movement of sun from east to west is satyam or rtam. i hope i have made my doubt clear.

I have not touched upon satyam yet. I am coming to it. It is a long article and I am giving little by little so that I can correct myself midway with your feedback.

Let me explain the substance of what has so far been written.

Rtam does not mean the truth as we understand it today. It denotes the orderliness which regulates the movements of the sun, earth, moon etc. It denotes the laws of nature. The question whether the sun moves or the earth moves does not arise here.The planets have their own orbit and their revolutions are governed by some laws though we have not understood them all. The vedic sage calls the orderliness by the name rtam.

Thinking along the lines of the rishi, we can extend it as follows.
Every object has its own properties. No two objects are similar. Among the living beings, no two species are identical. Within the species, no two animals, say men, are similar in appearance, ability etc. The living beings feed upon one another and no species becomes extinct because of this feeding. There is attraction between certain objects and repulsion between certain others. Changes keep on occurring and the old state never returns. There are endless varieties both horizontally and vertically. The law that governs all these is called rtam.

the concept of sraddha - faith, where does it occur in veda.
I want people like you to take up one topic each and study it and publish in this forum for discussion and dissemination., You can take up 'sraddha' and let us all know.

You can contact me at 98845 83101

respected sir,
my humble pranams to you, and the archieve of wisdom - the Vedas.

I thank you for the clarification to the doubts raised with respect to satyam and rtam.

From all the explanations given tell me if i have understood correctly:
the seers of yester years, in their deep meditative state were able to comprehend the force nature, how it works etc., and the law by which these forces where controlled they termed it as rtam. each of these force based on its function were given respective terminology and was worshipped as a deity. could there be a connection in saying that people of ancient times were worshipopers of nature in the beginning(Aryan civilisation). i am just putting what came to my mind in the mail. it may also be incorrect and sound dumb.

It is very true that nothing is permanent except the change. does this mean -Rtam controlls / governs nature like the Sun. Is sun susceptible to change. it is also believed that there are twelve solar systems in this Universe itself ' 'Narayanaddvadasaditya rudra vasavas sarvani chandam si'. also when we make a parallel consideration of the 25 tattvas of creation starting from the alinga, the five elements are some where way down in the tree. i am only thinking aloud.
1. Rtam is the wirepuller of all the laws that govern nature.
2. Changes in nature is inevitable.
3. rtam is not the ultimate.
4. there is something above rtam which controls it.
5. that boils down to the fact that rtam is also succeptible to change and is not a permanent entity.

this is the beginning stage of understanding rtam.

kindly tell me if my summarisation of my comprehension is correct. i would like to go furthur into the subject. it would be nice if it is ultimately presented in the form which is easily understood by a layperson also me included.

looking forward to more information from you sir.

respected sir,
my humble pranams to you, and the archieve of wisdom - the Vedas.

I thank you for the clarification to the doubts raised with respect to satyam and rtam.

From all the explanations given tell me if i have understood correctly:
the seers of yester years, in their deep meditative state were able to comprehend the force nature, how it works etc., and the law by which these forces where controlled they termed it as rtam. each of these force based on its function were given respective terminology and was worshipped as a deity. could there be a connection in saying that people of ancient times were worshipopers of nature in the beginning(Aryan civilisation). i am just putting what came to my mind in the mail. it may also be incorrect and sound dumb.

It is very true that nothing is permanent except the change. does this mean -Rtam controlls / governs nature like the Sun. Is sun susceptible to change. it is also believed that there are twelve solar systems in this Universe itself ' 'Narayanaddvadasaditya rudra vasavas sarvani chandam si'. also when we make a parallel consideration of the 25 tattvas of creation starting from the alinga, the five elements are some where way down in the tree. i am only thinking aloud.
5. that boils down to the fact that rtam is also succeptible to change and is not a permanent entity.

this is the beginning stage of understanding rtam.

kindly tell me if my summarisation of my comprehension is correct. i would like to go furthur into the subject. it would be nice if it is ultimately presented in the form which is easily understood by a layperson also me included.

looking forward to more information from you sir.

could there be a connection in saying that people of ancient times were worshipopers of nature in the.

It is very true that nothing is permanent except the change. does this mean -Rtam controlls / governs nature like the Sun. Is sun susceptible to change.
Thank you for your interest in my postings. I do not know what the rishis meant. This is how I understood their verses. Discussions can lead us to the truth.

Hope today's posting may answer some of your doubts. Regarding others, I am coming to them. It will take nearly a month for it to be published in this forum fully. However, if you want it now, I can send you its Tamil version by mail.

The world has been changing fast since inception. But we tend to believe that it was static till our birth and vast changes took place only in our life time. For example, we are accustomed to heavy rains in Aipasi and when the monsoon fails in a particular year, we lament that ‘Kali’ has matured and ‘Adharma’ has unseated ‘Dharma’. But when we look at the rain records of a long period, we understand that failure of monsoon once in a while is also customary. Not only the law, the exceptions also constitute the rtam/dharma.

It was in such a mood that the rishi moans the disappearance of the old rtam and asks whether the Devas, the protectors have failed in their duty.

Rik 1.105
4 I ask the last of sacrifice. As envoy he shall tell it forth.
Where is the ancient law divine? Who is its new diffuser now? Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
5 Ye Gods who yonder have your home in the three lucid realms of heaven,
What count ye truth and what untruth? Where is mine ancient call on you? Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.
6 What is your firm support of law? What Varuna's observant eye?
How may we pass the wicked on the path of mighty Aryaman? Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.

Later he realizes that rtam is never destroyed or defeated. There are many parts of rtam which remain hidden to us. We learn them one by one. This ‘gnanodayam’ flashes in his mind and he welcomes the new dimension as the birth of a new rtam.. The following verse of the same sooktam tells this.

15 Varuna makes the holy prayer. To him who finds the path we pray.
He in the heart reveals his thought. Let sacred worship (rtam) rise anew. Mark this my woe, ye Earth and Heaven.

This is the age of science and we often boast that man has conquered nature or has learnt to circumvent the laws of nature. But remember that rtam (laws of nature) is infinite and we have known only a fragment of it. The materials to circumvent the laws of nature are also provided by another set of natural laws.

For example, mercury is a known poison. If it is purified with the juices of some herbs, it becomes a life-saving drug. Has rtam been defeated? No. The herbs that make mercury non-poisonous are also a part of the law of nature.

An object thrown up is bound to fall down. This is rtam. Now we know that if an object is sent up at a given speed and to a certain height, it will not fall down. Has man conquered nature? No. He has learnt a new dimension of the laws which overrides the known law.

பிரபஞ்சம் படைப்பின் தொடக்க நிலையிலிருந்து கணம் தோறும் மாறிக் கொண்டு வந்திருக்கிறது. இன்னும் மாறிக்கொண்டு தான் இருக்கிறது. நமக்கு முன் நடந்த மாற்றங்கள் நம் கவனத்துக்கு வருவதில்லை. நம் வாழ்நாளில் நடைபெறும் மாறுதல்களைப் பார்க்கும்போது நம்முடைய தலைமுறையில் தான் முன்னேற்றமோ பின்னடைவோ மிகுதியாக ஏற்பட்டுள்ளது என்று நினைக்கிறோம். சில உதாரணங்கள் பார்ப்போம்.

தமிழ்நாட்டில் ஐப்பசியில் அடைமழை பெய்வது வழக்கம். இது மாறாத இயற்கை நியதி என்று நினைத்துக் கொண்டிருக்கிறோம். ஒரு ஆண்டு மழை பொய்த்து விட்டதாக வைத்துக் கொள்வோம். காலம் கெட்டுவிட்டது. தர்மம் தோற்றுவிட்டது, அதர்மம் வென்றுவிட்டது என்று புலம்புகிறோம். நீண்ட கால வானிலைப் பதிவுகளைப் பார்த்தால் சில ஆண்டுகளுக்கு ஒரு முறை இந்த மாதிரி வானம் பொய்த்திருப்பது தெரியவரும். வருடாவருடம் மழை பெய்வது மட்டும் வழக்கமல்ல, இவ்வாறு சில ஆண்டுகளுக்கு ஒரு முறை பெய்யாதிருப்பதும் வழக்கம் தான் என்று அறிகிறோம். விதி மட்டும் ருதம் அல்ல, விதிவிலக்குகளும் ருதமே.

பாதரசம், உண்டவர் உயிரைக் கொல்லும் இயல்பு உடையது. அதையே சில பச்சிலைச் சாறுகளின் மூலம் புடமிட்டு விட்டால் அது உயிர் காக்கும் மருந்து ஆகிறது. ருதம் தோற்றுவிட்டதா? இல்லை. பாதரசத்தின் விஷத்தை முறிக்கக் கூடிய பச்சிலைகள் பற்றி மனிதன் அறிந்து கொண்டான். அதுவும் இயற்கையால் விதிக்கப் பட்டது தான். இங்கும் ருதமே வெல்கிறது.

மேலே விட்டெறிந்த பொருள் கீழே விழுவது மட்டும் தான் இயற்கை நியதி என்று நாம் நினைத்துக் கொண்டிருந்தோம். குறிப்பிட்ட வேகத்துக்கும் அதிகமாக ஒரு பொருளை விண்ணில் செலுத்தி, குறிப்பிட்ட உயரத்துக்கு மேல் அது போகுமானால் அது அங்கேயே சுற்றிக் கொண்டிருக்கும் என்பதை நாம் இன்று அறிந்து கொண்டு விட்டோம். இங்கே மனிதன் இயற்கையை வெல்லவில்லை, ருதத்தின் மற்றொரு பரிமாணத்தை அறிந்து கொண்டான், அவ்வளவு தான்.

சில இயற்கை நியதிகளை நாம் அறிந்து வைத்திருக்கிறோம். அறியாத நியதிகள் பலவுண்டு. இப்பொழுது நாம் அறிந்த ருதத்திற்கு மாறுதலாக ஒரு நிகழ்ச்சி நடக்குமானால் அன்ருதம் வென்று விட்டதோ, ருதம் வலிமையானது என்று இத்தனை நாளும் நம்பி வந்தது பொய்யோ, ருதத்தைக் காக்க வேண்டிய தேவர்கள் அதைக் காக்கத் தவறிவிட்டார்களோ என்று நினைக்கிறோம்.

இத்தகைய ஒரு மன நிலையில் தான் வேத முனிவர் பின்வருமாறு கேட்கிறார்.

ரிக் 1.105.
4 வேள்வி நாயகனைக் கேட்கிறேன். தூதனான அவன் சொல்லட்டும். பழைய ருதம் எங்கே? அதை புதிதாக வழங்குவோர் யார்?

5 மூவுலகும் வாழும் தேவர்களே, ருதம் எது? அன்ருதம் எது? என் பழைய கூவல் என்னாயிற்று?

6 ருதத்திற்கு உன் தாங்குதல் எது? வருணனின் கவனிப்பு என்பது என்ன? அர்யமானின் பாதையில் கொடியோரை நாம் எப்படிக் கடப்போம்?

ருதம் தோற்பதில்லை, நாம் இதுவரை அறியாத ருதத்தின் பகுதிகள் பல உண்டு. அவற்றை ஒவ்வொன்றாக நாம் அறிய முயலுகிறோம் என்ற ஞானோதயம் முனிவருக்கு பிறக்கிறது. அவரது உள்ளத்தில் ருதத்தின் புதிய பரிமாணம் தோன்றுவதைப் பின் வரும் பாடல் தெரிவிக்கிறது.

15 வருணன் பிரார்த்திக்கிறான். வழிகாட்டுபவனுக்கு எங்கள் பிரார்த்தனை. உள்ளத்தில் உள்ளவன் தன் எண்ணத்தை வெளிப்படுத்துகிறான். புதிய ருதம் தொடங்கட்டும்.

Rik 1.152.
3 The Footless Maid precedeth footed creatures. Who marketh, Mitra-Varuna, this your doing?
The Babe Unborn supporteth this world's burthen, fuIfilleth law and overcometh falsehood.

The theory of evolution is spoken of in the first line. Darwin says that the footless creatures like fish preceded the amphibians like frogs. This Rik verse tells that the evolution is caused by rtam, which remains invisible like a baby in the womb. Though unseen, it sees to the proper evolution of the world and does not brook any disorderliness.

1.152.3- காலில்லாத பெண் காலுள்ள பிராணிகளுக்கு முன் தோன்றினாள். மித்ரனே, வருணனே, உன்னுடைய இந்த வேலையை யார் கவனித்தனர்?
கர்ப்பத்திலுள்ள குழந்தை உலகின் பாரத்தைத் தாங்குகிறது. ருதத்தை நிறைவேற்றுகிறது. அன்ருதத்தை வெல்லுகிறது.

டார்வினின் பரிணாம வளர்ச்சிக் கொள்கையின்படி காலில்லாத கடல் வாழ் உயிரினங்கள் முதலில் தோன்றின, பின்னரே காலுள்ள பிராணிகள் தோன்றின. இங்கு சொல்லப்படுவது அந்தப் பரிணாம வளர்ச்சிக் கொள்கை தான் என்று கொள்ளலாம். முதலில் தோன்றியது ஒரு செல் உயிரினம். அதன் பின் பல பல மாற்றங்கள் ஏற்பட்டு புதிய புதிய உயிரினங்கள் ஏற்பட்டு வந்துள்ளன. பழைய உயிர் வகைகள் சில அழிந்து விட்டன. சில இன்னும் தொடர்கின்றன. இவை எல்லாமே ஏதோ ஒரு இயற்கை நியதியின்படி தான் நடைபெறுகிறது என்பதை மட்டும் அறிந்த மனித இனம் அதை முழுமையாக அறிந்து கொண்டு விடவேண்டும் என்று காலம் காலமாக முயற்சி செய்து வருகிறது. மனித இனம் உள்ளவரை இந்த முயற்சியும் தொடரும்.

யார் அந்தக் குழந்தை? கண்ணுக்குப் புலனாகாமல் எல்லாப் பொருள்களின் உள்ளுறையாக, கர்ப்பமாக இருந்து எல்லோரையும் ஆட்டிவைக்கும் ருதத்தையே கர்ப்பத்திலுள்ள குழந்தை என்று குறிப்பதாகக் கொள்ளலாம். அதன் ஒழுங்கு முறைக்கு மாறான செயல்களை அது அனுமதிப்பதில்லை.

i want someone to give me their expert opinion on this.
in the invocation

OM BHADRAM KARNEBHIH: SHRNUYAAMA DEVAAH:

why is it KARNEBHIH: and not KARNAABHYAAM ?
i understand vedic grammar is different from the regular sanskrit grammar but can anyone explain this difference to me.
i can help wondering why when i recite it .
thank you

Rtam and men

1.151.4 ye, Righteous Ones, proclaim aloud the Holy law. That efficacious power that comes from lofty heaven, ye bind unto the work, as to the pole an ox.
1.163. 5 Here, Courser, are the places where they groomed thee, here are the traces of thy hoofs as winner. Here have I seen the auspicious reins that guide thee, which those who guard the holy law keep safely.
1.130.8 Indra in battles help his Aryan worshipper, he who hath hundred helps at hand in every fray, in frays that win the light of heaven. Plaguing the lawless.
1.41.4 Thornless, Adityas, is the path, easy for him who seeks the law:
10.85.1. Truth is the base that bears the earth; by Surya are the heavens sustained.
By law the Adityas stand secure, and Soma holds his place in heaven.
7.76.4 They were the Gods' companions at the banquet, the ancient sages true to law Eternal.
8.31.13 The paths of law are fair to tread.

From the above we come to know that the vedic injunction for men is to abide by rtam and this path is easy to tread, Those who follow rtam are rewarded with Amrtam. Others get punishment.

What is ‘Amrtam’? The puranas say that it is a drink which makes one immortal. But as we understand the laws of nature today, immortality is impossible. I would like to interpret it as what J.K. termed as timeless living, and living from moment to moment. This is attained by meditation, that is, commentless observation. Bharathi says that the immortal state is attained by freeing ourselves from worries, anger, falsehood, fear and desires.

1.151.4- நேர்மையானவர்களே, மேலிருந்து வரும் அந்த ருதத்தின் மேலான சக்தியை அறிவியுங்கள். மாட்டை முளையில் கட்டுவது போல ருதத்தை வேலையுடன் இணையுங்கள்.

10.85.1- உலகைத் தாங்குவது ஸத்யம். ஆகாயத்தை சூரியன் தாங்குகிறது. ஆதித்யர்களை ருதம் தாங்குகிறது. விண்ணை சோமன் தாங்குகிறான்.

1.163.5- குதிரையைக் கடிவாளம் நெறிப்படுத்தி இலக்கடைந்து வெற்றி பெறச் செய்வது போல மக்களை ருதம் நெறிப்படுத்துகிறது.

7.76.4- பண்டை முனிவர் ருதத்தை அனுசரித்து தேவர்களுடன் விருந்துண்டனர்.

10.16.11, 10.154.4- பித்ருக்கள் ருதத்தை முதலில் ஆதரித்தனர்.

1.130.8- இந்திரன் ருதத்தை மதிக்கும் தன் அடியார்களுக்குப் போரில் உதவி செய்கிறான். மதிக்காதவர்களை அவன் துன்புறுத்துகிறான்.

1.41.4- தேவர்களால் ஏற்படுத்தப்பட்ட ருத வழி முள்ளற்றது.

8.31.13- ருத வழி நடக்க எளிதானது.

மேற்கண்ட கூற்றுகளிலிருந்து மனிதர்கள் ருதத்தை மதித்து நடக்க வேண்டும் என்பது வேதத்தின் கட்டளை என்பதை அறிகிறோம். ருதத்தை அனுசரித்தால் நமக்குக் கிடைப்பது அம்ருதம். அது தான் தேவர்களுடன் உண்ணப்படும் விருந்து. மீறினால் கிடைப்பது தண்டனை.

அம்ருதம் என்பது சாகா நிலை தரும் ஒரு பானம் என்று புராணக் கதைகள் சொல்லுகின்றன. இயற்கை நியதிகளை இன்று நாம் அறிந்துள்ளபடி சாகா நிலை என்பது சாத்தியமில்லை என்று தான் தோன்றுகிறது. எனவே அவர்கள் குறிப்பிட்ட அமர நிலை என்பது வேறு பொருளைக் குறிப்பதாக இருக்கலாம்.

கொன்றழிக்கும் கவலையினை சினத்தைப் பொய்யை
அச்சத்தை வேட்கை தனை அழித்து விட்டால்
அப்போது சாவும் அங்கே அழிந்து போகும்

என்று பாரதி கூறுவதிலிருந்து அம்ருதம் என்பது ருதத்தை அனுசரிப்பதால் நமக்குக் கிடைக்கும் ஒரு ஆனந்தமான மன நிலையே என்பதை அறிகிறோம். இந்த நிலையில் கவலை, சினம், பொய், அச்சம், வேட்கை அழிந்து போகின்றன, காலம் பற்றிய உணர்வு மறைகிறது.

ஜே.கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தியும் தியானத்தின் மூலம் அடையப்படும் காலம் கடந்த நிலை பற்றிக் கூறுகிறார்.

According to neutral students of comparative religion (i mean Christians and hindus who are not biassed) the vedic people were nature worshipers.There is only a rederence to Vishnu in conering the three worlds.Siva as we know is not present.The rudras are there.Devi is represented as Usas the dawn.
MMy study of the translation of Rg Veda also makes me concurr.
BTW a few mantras used by us for the wedding ceremonies and funeral ceremonies are taken from the 10th Mandala of Rk veda which mandala as per linguists is later in time

Dear respected Vikrama ji

Pranams

I wish to know whether our sandhyavandhana mantras are also vedic hymns??
If so, a chanting of "Rudhahum satyam parambrhuma purusham krishnapingalam" what here means. Here also, rhdm and satyam came together I think. Am like a plaintain tree in this regard. Kindly educate me about vedas slowly sir.

Pranams

Dear respected Vikrama ji

I wish to know whether our sandhyavandhana mantras are also vedic hymns??
If so, a chanting of "Rudhahum satyam parambrhuma purusham krishnapingalam" what here means. Here also, rhdm and satyam came together I think.
Yes. Sandhya vandhana mantras. 90% of them are vedic mantras. I intend taking them up later.
The rtam satyam param brahma is quoted in my posting No. 10 in this thead.
Regarding the word, 'rtadhagum' - the word is rtam and it is pronounced rtagum when it is followed by 'sa'

1.25.1 I WHATEVER law of thine, O God, O Varurna, as we are men,
Day after day we violate.
2 give us not as a prey to death, to be destroyed by thee in wrath,
To thy fierce anger when displeased.
1.51..8 Discern thou well Aryas and Dasyus; punishing the lawless give them up to him whose grass is strewn.

From the above it is learnt that man violates the rtam and hence he is punished with death. What does it mean to abide by rtam? Just observe nature. Understand that there is orderliness in every natural phenomenon. Probe deeper and you will find that there is something (called satyam) behind all these laws of nature. Meditate on rtam and satyam.

But man has mind. He is controlled by ego. He thinks that he can manipulate nature. Sometimes he succeeds. But sometimes, despite his clever planning, he fails and does not know the causes for his failure. He just names it fate.

1.25.1 ருதத்தை மீறியவரை வருணன் யமனுக்கு இரையாக்குகிறான்

1.51.8 ருதத்தை மீறியவரை இந்திரன் தண்டிக்கிறான்.

எனப்படுவதால் சிற்றறிவுடைய பறவைகள், உயிரற்ற கப்பல்கள் முதற் கொண்டு ருதத்தை அனுசரித்து நடக்கும்போது மனிதன் மட்டும் சில சமயங்களில் ருதத்தை மீறுகிறான் என்பதும் தெரிகிறது.

ருதத்தை அனுசரித்து நடத்தல் என்றால் என்ன?

தவம் செய்து ருதத்தை அறிய வேண்டும், அதாவது, இயற்கையை உற்றுநோக்கி அதில் ஒரு ருதம் (ஒழுங்கு முறை) நிலவுவதை உணர்தல் வேண்டும். அத்துடன் நில்லாது, இந்த ஒழுங்கு முறையை ஏற்படுத்தி நிர்வகித்து வரும் ஸத்யம் ஒன்று உண்டு என்பதையும் உணர்தல் வேண்டும். இவ்வாறு ருதத்திலும் ஸத்யத்திலும் மனதை ஈடுபடுத்துதல் தான் ருதத்தை அனுசரித்தல் என்று சொல்லப்பட்டிருக்கிறது..

ஆனால் அவன் மனம் என்ற ஒன்றைப் பெற்றிருப்பதால் ஆணவம் உடையவன் ஆக இருக்கிறான். அதன் காரணமாக தன் அறிவினால் எதையும் சாதிக்க முடியும், இயற்கையை வென்றுவிட முடியும் என்ற தருக்கு ஏற்படுகிறது. சில வேலைகளில் அவன் வெற்றி பெறுகிறான். சில சமயங்களில், அவன் எவ்வளவு திட்டமிட்டிருந்தாலும், எதிர்பாராதபடி தோல்வி அடைந்து துயரப்படுகிறான். அந்தத் தோல்விக்கு அவனுடைய அறிவினால் காரணம் சொல்ல முடிவதில்லை. தன்னால் வெல்ல முடியாத, புரிந்து கொள்ளக் கூட முடியாத அந்த இயற்கை நியதிக்குத் தலைவிதி அல்லது ஊழ் என்று பெயரிட மட்டுமே முடிகிறது.

Now we will see what Rig Veda says about Satyam. In some of the verses (1.108.1, 1.127.8, 2.15.1, 3.54.4, 6.30.4) satyam is used as a synonym for truth. In some other verses, (1.1.5, 1.1.6, 1.12.7, 6.51.10, 8.59.5, 8.61.4) it is used in a more extended sense. Agni, Varuna and Indra are described as satyam, their blessings are satyam and their ways are satyam.

Indra is said to be born of rtam in one verse and of satyam in another. So we can presume that rtam and satyam are one and the same. Since we have already seen that the concept of rtam evolved into that of one Almighty God, we can assume that satyam is also not different from God.

1.164.46 says that what exists is one and the sages call it differently. The word used for ‘exists’ is ‘sat’ from which satyam is derived. This is the basic tenet of the Vedas and it gave rise to different forms of worship in Hinduism later and everything was accepted by the Vedas. This is also the cause for the tolerance of Hinduism. We accommodated other religions because we know that what exists is one though called differently. Vedas do not call the people with different ideology as fools but regard them all as sages.

இனி ரிக் வேதத்தில் ஸத்யம் எவ்வாறு ஆளப்பட்டிருக்கிறது என்று பார்ப்போம்.

ஸத்யம் = உண்மை

சில இடங்களில் ஸத்யம் இன்று நாம் வழங்கி வரும் முறைப்படி உண்மை என்ற பொருளில் வருகிறது.

1.108.1என்னுடைய ஸத்யமான சிரத்தையை மதித்து நீ வந்தாய்
1.127.8 அக்னி ஸத்யமான பிரார்த்தனைகளை ஏற்கிறார்
2.15.1 இந்திரனின் ஸத்யமான புகழ்களைச் சொல்லுகிறேன்.
3.54.4 ஸத்யமான வார்த்தை பேசும் முனிவர்கள் உன்னை அறிய முடிந்தது
6.30.4 இந்திரா உன்னைப் போல் ஒருவருமில்லை இது ஸத்யம்

பல இடங்களில் மேலும் விரிவான பொருளில் ஸத்யம் என்ற சொல் ஆளப்பட்டிருக்கிறது.

தேவர்கள் ஸத்ய வடிவினர்கள்.

1.1.5, 1.1.6, 1.12.7 நீயே ஸத்யம் என்று அக்னி போற்றப்படுகிறான். அவன் அளிக்கும் ஆசியும் ஸத்யம். அவனுடைய வழிகளும் ஸத்யமானவை.
6.51.10, 8.59.5 வருணனும் இந்திரனும் மித்ரனும் அதே போலப் போற்றப்படுகிறார்கள்.
8.61.4 இந்திரன் ஸத்யத்தில் மாறுதலின்றி நிற்கிறான்.

ஸத்யம் = பரம்பொருள்

இந்திரன் ஸத்யத்திலிருந்து தோன்றியவன் என்று 4.19.2 உம் ருதத்திலிருந்து தோன்றியவன் என்று 8.6.2 உம் கூறுவதால் ருதமும் ஸத்யமும் ஒரே பொருளை, அதாவது பரம்பொருளைக் குறிப்பதாகக் கொள்ளலாம்.

தேவர்களை ஸத்யத்தின் வடிவினராகப் பேசிய வேதம், பெயர்கள் பலவானாலும் பரம்பொருள் ஒன்று தான் என்ற அடுத்த நிலைக்கு நம்மை அழைத்துச் செல்கிறது.

1.164.46 –
இந்த்ரம் மித்ரம் வருணம் அக்னிம் ஆஹுரதோ திவ்யம் ஸ ஸுபர்ணோ கருத்மான்.
ஏகம் ஸத் விப்ரா பஹுதா வதந்தி அக்னிம் யமம் மாதரிஸ்வானமாஹு:

உள்ளது ஒன்று, அதை இந்திரன், மித்ரன், வருணன், அக்னி, கருத்மான், யமன், மாதரிஸ்வான் என்று அறிஞர்கள் பலவிதமாகப் பேசுகிறார்கள் என்று கடவுளைக் குறித்து எல்லா மதக்காரர்களும் ஒப்புக் கொள்ளக் கூடிய ஒரு கருத்தைக் கூறுகிறது. இது தான் வேதத்தின் திரண்ட சாரம் என்று கொள்ளலாம். இந்து சமயம் பிற்காலத்தில் பல பல தெய்வங்களை ஏற்படுத்தி வளர்ந்ததற்கும், பிற சமயங்களைப் பகைக்காமல் அரவணைத்து மதிப்புடன் நடத்தியதற்கும் அடிப்படையான போதனை இதுவே.

The word satyam is derived from ‘sat’ सत् which is the present participle of अस् = to be. Satyam therefore means that which exists. The Tamil word for satyam is ‘unmai’ which is derived from ‘ullathu’ which has no past and future forms. It denotes all the three tenses- past, present and future. What is it that exists for ever? It is called God. So satyam refers to God

There is the Upanishadic statement, “Satyameva Jayate, na anrtam”. We have all along understood it to mean that the truth will win some day in the future. Properly speaking, Satyam (God) keeps winning always. This is borne out by the word ‘jayate’ which is in the present tense and denotes the habitual, permanent, recurring actions. So it means, “God alone triumphs and anything against the laws of nature does not succeed.”

ஸத்யம் தோற்பதில்லை

ஸத்யம் ஏவ ஜயதே ந அன்ருதம் என்ற உபநிடத வாக்கியம் ஒன்று உண்டு. ‘வாய்மையே வெல்லும், பொய் அல்ல’ என்று இதை மொழிபெயர்த்து, கடைசியில் என்றோ ஒரு நாள் ஸத்யம் வெல்லப்போகிறது என நாம் கருதுகிறோம். அது சரியான பொருள் அல்ல.

ஸத்யம் என்பது ஸத் என்ற சொல்லிலிருந்து தோன்றியது. அதற்கு உள்ளது என்று பொருள். எது உள்ளதோ அது ஸத்யம். தமிழில் உண்மை என்ற சொல்லும் உள்ளது என்ற சொல்லிலிருந்து தோன்றியது. உள்ளது, இருக்கிறது ஆகிய இரு சொற்களும் ஒரே பொருளை உடையவை ஆயினும் உள்ளது என்ற சொல்லுக்கு மட்டும் இறந்த காலமும் வருங்காலமும் இல்லை. அது முக்காலத்தையும் குறிக்கும் வினையாகும். ஜயதே என்ற சொல் எதிர்காலத்தைக் குறிப்பது அல்ல. வெல்கிறது என்ற பொருள் உடைய அது முக்காலத்துக்கும் பொருத்தமான நிரந்தர உண்மையைக் கூறுவது.

ஸத்யம் தான் வெல்கிறது, அன்ருதம் அல்ல. அதாவது ஸத்யம் ஆகிய பரம்பொருள் தான் முக்காலத்திலும் வென்று நிலை பெற்று இருக்கிறது. இயற்கை விதிக்கு முரணானது வெல்வது இல்லை என்பது தான் சரியான பொருள்.

Though all the devas are considered embodiment of satyam, the sun has a special relationship with it. We have already seen that only ‘Savita’ is always preceded by the attribute ‘Deva’ .

10.55. 6 Strong is the Red Bird (sun) in his strength, great Hero, who from of old hath had no nest to dwell in.
That which he knows is truth and never idle: he wins and gives the wealth desired of many.

The sun’s chariot has two wheels- one is rtam and the other satyam. Only those who have understood the concept of rtam well can realize the existence of an almighty satyam.

10.85.16 The Brahmans, by their seasons, know, O Surya, those two wheels of thine:
One kept concealed, those only who are skilled in highest truths (rtam) have learned.
4.51.7 Blest were these Dawns of old, shining with succour, true with the truth (satyam) that springs from holy Order. (rtam)
7.56.12 By law (rtam) they came to truth (satyam).

In 10.36.13. the sun is called the father of satyam, implying that satyam was reached by the sage through observing the sun.

சூரியனும் ஸத்யமும்

பல தேவர்கள் ஸத்ய வடிவினராகப் போற்றப்பட்டாலும் சூரியனுக்கும் ஸத்யத்துக்கும் உள்ள தொடர்பு சிறப்பானது. ‘தேவ’ என்ற அடைமொழி மற்றவர்களை விட ஸவிதாவுக்குத் தான் மிக அதிகமாகக் கொடுக்கப் பட்டிருப்பதை முன்னர்க் கண்டோம்.

10.55.6 வசிக்க வீடு இல்லாத சிவந்த பறவை (எங்கும் நிலைத்து இராமல் சுற்றிக் கொண்டே இருப்பதால் சூரியன் அவ்வாறு கூறப்படுகிறான்) வலிமையானவன். அவன் அறிந்ததெல்லாம் ஸத்யம். அது தோற்பதில்லை.

சூரியனுடைய தேருக்கு இரண்டு சக்கரங்கள் உள்ளன. ஒன்று ருதம் மற்றது ஸத்யம். சாதாரண மக்களுக்கு முதல் சக்கரம் மட்டும் தான் கண்ணுக்குத் தெரிகிறது. ருதத்தை நன்றாக அறிந்த முனிவர்கள் மட்டுமே அவனுடைய இரண்டாவது சக்கரமான ஸத்யத்தைக் காண முடிகிறது.

ருதத்தின் மூலம் தான் ஸத்யம்

10.85.16 ருதத்தை அறிந்தவர்கள் தான் சூரியனின் அந்த மறைந்த சக்கரத்தைக் காண முடியும்.

ருதத்தின் மூலமாகத் தான் ஸத்யத்தை அறியமுடியும் என்ற கருத்தை
4.51.7 ஸத்யத்திற்குப் பிறப்பிடம் ருதம் என்று தெரிவிக்கிறது. இதை மற்றொரு பாடல் நேரடியாகவே கூறுகிறது.

7.56.12 ருதத்தை அனுசரிப்பவர்கள் ருதத்தின் மூலமாகவே ஸத்யத்தை அடைந்தனர்.

10.36.13 சூரியனை ஸத்யத்தின் தந்தையாகக் கூறுகிறது. இதை முன் கூறிய 4.51.7 மற்றும் 7.66.10க்கு முரண்படாத வகையில் சூரியன் மூலமாகத் தான் ஸத்யத்தை அறிந்தனர் என்று பொருள் கொள்ள வேண்டும்..

Each vedic god has his/her own significance. While Varuna is considered the king of devas, Indra is considered supreme and the mightiest. It was Indra who raised the Sun high so that he (the sun ) can see the wide world. The prayer for the sun (savita) is the famous gayatri which forms a part of the veda and is cherished till today. Among the devas created by rtam, Surya occupies a place of importance. One can learn about rtam and satyam easily by observing the sun. Actually these devas are not separate entities but different aspects of one satyam.

I want some info and I do not want to start a new thread.Since my req is connected with our scriptures I am making a post in this thred/
Both Apastamba and Gobhila grihya sytras rely/refer to a Mantra Brammana.Can any learned member say where I can source it.
Another interesting fact the 25th Prasanna of the Apastamba Kalpasutra (of which the Grihya Sutra is a part) gives details of the pravaras of all the gothras.I would like to get that also
Maskaram to all

Rtam and Satyam

Rtam and satyam both refer to one and the same God. But since they are spoken of as distinct entities, it is inferred that they refer to the different states of God. The rtam is His dynamic state and satyam His passive state. Rtam refers to the orderliness of nature and the fundamental laws of its working. Satyam refers to His passive existence.
1.105.12 says that the river brings rtam and the sun extends satyam. It can be interpreted to mean that man learnt about the concept of rtam from the ceaseless movement of the river. He learnt of Satyam from the sun which remains static but causes the river to flow.

At a later period people named the dynamic state of God as ‘saguna Brahmam’ and the static as ‘Nirguna Brahmam’.

Still later people called the former state as ‘Sakthi’ and the latter as ‘Sivam’. One of the five faces of Siva is called ‘Satyojatham’ –born of satyam. Both these states are inseparable from one another. So they called Siva and Sakthi as sharing one body.

That one can reach satyam only through rtam could have given rise to the idea that only with the grace of ‘Thayar’ one can attain the grace of ‘Perumal’

ருதம் ஸத்யம் இரண்டும் இறைவனைக் குறித்தாலும் எல்லா இடங்களிலும் ருதமும் ஸத்யமும் ஒன்றோடொன்று நெருங்கிய தொடர்பு கொண்ட இரு வேறு பொருள்களாகக் காட்டப்பட்டிருப்பதால் அவை இறைவனின் இரு நிலைகளைக் குறிப்பதாக அறிய முடிகிறது.

ருதம் என்பது பிரபஞ்சத்தின் ஒழுங்கு முறையை, அதன் இயக்கத்துக்குக் காரணமான நியதியைக் காட்டுகிறது. இது இறைவனின் செயலாக்கத்தைச் சுட்டுவது. ஸத்யம் என்பது பரம்பொருளின் இருப்பைக் கூறுகிறது. பரம்பொருள் வெறுமனே இருக்கிறது, அது வேறு ஒன்றும் செய்வதில்லை என்னும் போது அது ஸத்யம் எனப்படுகிறது.

இதைக் கீழ்க்கண்ட ரிக் வரிகள் உறுதிப்படுத்துகின்றன.
1.105.12 ஆறுகள் ருதத்தைப் பிரவாகத்தில் கொண்டுவருகின்றன, சூரியன் ஸத்யத்தைப் பரப்புகிறான்

ஆறுகளின் பிரவாகம் இடைவிடாத இயக்கத்தைக் காட்டுவதால் அதிலிருந்து ருதம் என்ற கருத்துருவை முனிவர்கள் அறிந்தனர். அசையாமல் இருந்தாலும் ஆறுகளின் பிரவாகத்துக்குக் காரணமாக இருக்கும் சூரியனிடமிருந்து ஸத்யம் என்ற கருத்துருவைப் பெற்றனர் என்று ஊகிக்கலாம்.

பிற்காலத்தில் பரம்பொருளின் செயல்படும் தன்மையை ஸகுண ப்ரம்மம் என்றும் செயலற்று எந்த விதமான மாற்றமும் இன்றி இருக்கும் தன்மையை நிர்க்குண ப்ரம்மம் என்றும் கூறினர். அதற்கும் பிந்திய காலங்களில் இது வேறு பெயர்களைப் பெற்றது. தேவர்களாகிய இயற்கைச் சக்திகளை உண்டாக்கி அவற்றை இயங்கச் செய்யும் ருதத்தை சக்தி என்றும் செயலற்றுத் தன்னில் தான் அடங்கி சிவனே என்று இருக்கும் ஸத்யத்தைச் சிவன் என்றும் அழைத்தனர். சிவனுடைய ஐந்து முகங்களில் ஒன்று ஸத்யோஜாதம் (ஸத்யத்தில் பிறந்தது) எனப்படுவதை நோக்குக. பரம்பொருளின் இந்த இரு தன்மைகளும் பிரித்துப் பேசப்பட்டாலும் அவை பிரிக்க முடியாத ஒரே பரம்பொருளிடம் அமைந்திருப்பதால் சிவனும் சக்தியும் ஒரே உடலில் இருப்பதாகக் கூறினர்.

ருதத்தின் மூலம் தான் ஸத்யத்தை உணர முடியும் எனக் கூறப்படுவதால் ருதத்தைத் தாயாகவும் ஸத்யத்தைத் தந்தையாகவும் கருதி, தாயினுடைய பரிந்துரையின் பேரில் தான் தந்தையின் அருளைப் பெற முடியும் என்ற கருத்து பிறந்தது. இதுவே வைணவத்தில் தாயாரின் கருணை பெற்றுத் தான் பெருமாளின் திருவடியை அடைய முடியும் என்று கூறப்படுகிறது.

sadashiva has 5 faces and made shanmuga with 6 faces. This is because of the invisible sixth face of UMA (Adho mugam). That face of uma is always mingled with shiva. Thus, the concept acquired by Vikrama ji is perfectly correct I think. Both rtm and satyam are mingled with each other; although they act as different sources, they are the one and same.

In saiva siddhanta, shiva and parvathi will be equalised to "Fire and the heat", which cannot be separated and sees always together...

Vikrama ji, am I right???

Pranams

sathyam and rithm

Thank you sir.
It is highly interesting and educative and convincing.

Though science and religion should not be mixed unimaginatively certain scientific truths and inventions serve religion and spirituality.

In physics we talk about potential energy and kinetic energy.
In a crude way we ca explain that potential energy is dormant energy and kinetic energy is energy in action.

The examples given are a serpent when it has circled itself and the serpant with its head erect and with broad hood .

a wound up key in a clock and the unwinding one.

We know the key by the running of the clock only

these are inseparable like flower and fragrance .
Daya devi and purshoththaman. shiva and shakti may also denote the two things you have mentioned.

Again can we think of Lord Ranganatha in yoga nidhra and Lord nataraja in ever dancing posture in this regard?

These are my random thoughts only
I am open to correction.

The antonym of both rtam and satyam is anrtam. In the vedic literature, One does not come across the word asatyam. When one acts or talks against the laws of nature, that is anrtam. Veda says that gods punish anrtam.

Since we have seen that satyam refers to the supreme power which expresses itself through the laws of nature, the word asatyam means, ‘no supreme power’. Nobody in his senses will say that. Even the atheists accept the existence of one superhuman power and call it nature. They only deny the need to worship it. Hence no such word as ‘asatyam’ in the Vedas.

We have already seen the Upanishadic statement, Satyameva Jayate, na anrtam. There is a popular sloka, perhaps from Mahabharata. It says, ‘Speak satyam, speak priyam. Never speak satyam which is apriyam. Never speak priyam which is anrtam.’ Note, here also the antonym for satyam is anrtam and not asatyam.

அன்ருதமும் அஸத்யமும்

ருதம் என்பதற்கு எதிர்ச்சொல்லாக அன்ருதம் என்பதை வேதம் கூறுகிறது. இயற்கை நியதிகளுக்கு மாறாக ஒருவன் பேசினாலோ, நடந்தாலோ அது அன்ருதம். இதைத் தேவர்கள் தண்டிக்கின்றனர் என்கிறது வேதம்.

ஸத்யம் என்பது பரம்பொருளைக் குறிப்பது ஆதலால் அஸத்யம் என்பது பரம்பொருள் இல்லை என்று பொருள் ஆகிறது. அவ்வாறு எவரும் சொல்லார். பல வேறு மதக்காரர்களும் வெவ்வேறு பெயரிட்டு அழைப்பர். நாத்திகர்கள் வணக்கம் அவசியமில்லை என்பரே அன்றி ஏதோ ஒரு இயற்கை நியதி உள்ளது என்பதை மறுக்கார். இல்லை என்று சொல்ல எவராலும் முடியாது. அதனால் ஸத்யம் என்பதற்கு எதிர்ச் சொல்லான அஸத்யம் என்ற சொல் வேதத்தில் ஒரு இடத்திலும் காணப்படவில்லை. ஸத்யமேவ ஜயதே ந அன்ருதம் என்ற உபநிடத வாக்கியத்தை முன்பு பார்த்தோம்.

பிரபலமான ஒரு சுலோகம் பல இடங்களிலும் காணப்படுகிறது. மூலம் மகாபாரதத்தில் உள்ளதாகத் தோன்றுகிறது. ஸத்யம் பேசுக, பிரியமானதைப் பேசுக. ஸத்யமாயினும் பிரியமல்லாததைப் பேசாதே. பிரியமானதாக இருப்பினும் அன்ருதம் பேசாதே என்கிறது. இங்கும் ஸத்யத்துக்கு எதிர்ச்சொல்லாக அன்ருதம் என்ற சொல் தான் பயன்படுத்தப்பட்டுள்ளது.

We have seen so far that all the ideas have been encrypted into symbols in the Vedas. In tune with this system, we have to understand the word ‘parishinchaami’ (drench) also to mean, to mix, unite, take together.

I drench satyam with rtam should mean, ‘I take satyam and rtam together in my mind.’ In other words, at every meals-time, we remind it to ourselves that we have to observe the nature, understand that there is orderliness in everything and behind all these there exists one, the unconquerable satyam. Let us admire the greatness of rtam and dissolve ourselves into the silence of satyam.
This is the concluding part of my serial on rtam and satyam. I must confess that I have touched only the tip of the subject. Many parts, such as Aditi, the mother of rtam are yet to be gone into. I intend studying them in more detail and revert sometime later. In the meanwhile, I request vedic scholars of our forum to comment on the correctness of my interpretation and put me on the proper path."

வேதத்தில் எல்லாக் கருத்துகளும் உருவகமாகவே கூறப்பட்டுள்ளன என்பதை இது வரை பார்த்த உதாரணங்களிலிருந்தே அறிந்து கொள்ளலாம். அதனால் தான் அது மறை எனப்படுகிறது. நனைத்தல் என்பதற்கு கலத்தல் என்று பொருள் கொள்ள வேண்டும்.

இயற்கைப் பொருள்களை உற்றுநோக்கு, அவற்றில் ஒரு ருதம் (ஒழுங்கு முறை) நிலவுவதைக் கவனி, இந்த ஒழுங்குமுறையை ஏற்படுத்தி நிர்வகித்து வரும் ஸத்யம் (பரம்பொருள்) ஒன்று உண்டு என்பதையும் கவனி என்ற கருத்தை வேதம், ருதத்தை ஸத்யத்தால் நனை, ஸத்யத்தை ருதத்தால் நனை, அதாவது இரண்டையும் ஒன்றாகக் கலந்து பயன்படுத்து என்கிறது.

ருதத்தின் திறமையைப் பார்த்து வியக்கிறோம். ஸத்யத்தின் மௌனத்தில் நம்மை ஆட்படுத்திப் பணிகிறோம். நாம் ஒவ்வொரு வேளை சாப்பிடும்போதும் இறைவனையும் இறைவியையும் சேர்த்து நினைவுபடுத்திக் கொள்ள வேண்டும் என்பதற்காகத் தான் நம் முன்னோர் இதை உணவு மந்திரமாக அமைத்தனர் போலும்.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back