• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Varshabdikham related question

kpss

My father passed away last year and his varshabdhikam falls on first week of July 2020. I live in the USA. My older brother (the eldest) will be doing the function in India. I'll try my best to get there, but can't tell due to lockdown. My question is, if I'm not able to go to India, do I have to perform any ritual for the four days? Someone mentioned that on the Abdhikam day I have to do Sradham, others said varshabhhikam is only for the Jyeshta puthran to do. Appreciate your kind advice on this question.

To my best of knowledge, Srardham has to be performed by every son. General rule is number of kitchens = number of shrardham. In ancient days, single kitchen taken care of all sons Hence shrardham by jyeshtan alone. Now it is not so. If separate kitchens are maintained even in a single building, then separate separate shrardhams need to be performed.

My father passed away last year and his varshabdhikam falls on first week of July 2020. I live in the USA. My older brother (the eldest) will be doing the function in India. I'll try my best to get there, but can't tell due to lockdown. My question is, if I'm not able to go to India, do I have to perform any ritual for the four days? Someone mentioned that on the Abdhikam day I have to do Sradham, others said varshabhhikam is only for the Jyeshta puthran to do. Appreciate your kind advice on this question.
Only the eldest son has the right to perform Varshaabdikam.Because you will not be able to travel to India,trying to participate virtually through Skype or Google Duo on that day.
But the problem will be the difference in the time-zone.When the ceremony is performed in India ,it will be night time in USA.Best practical option will be To fervently participate with mental dedication at that moment observing fast till the ceremony is over.From the next year onwards,you can plan your participation in annual ceremonies or can independently perform annual ceremonies.Once you start performing annual ceremony independently,you may need to continue doing so in future also.

sir, varushaaptheekam must be done only by eldest son. you need not come here, you need not do anything. from next year onwards each and every brother must do the annual ceremony separately. even though they are living in the same house in ground floor and first floor. only joint family people can do together.. this is the rule framed by vaidhyanatha deekshitheeyam.

All response conversations are in the correct direction.
Being far away and having a feeling unable to participate shows your sradhdha. Srardham is basically on shradhdha (meaning involvement with faith). As quoted Sradhdhehi idhi srardhaha.
Varushaapdhiham ritual will have to be performed by the eldest son who might have performed the rituals on his father's death day and lit the fire to burn his eternal body remains. As far as possible, you can keep thinking of that departed soul and do and keep fasting till the varushaapdhiham ceremony is completed and brahmans leave after taking food in your Tamilnadu house. Time difference may also help you in this regard I suppose.
From the next year as senior members advised here, srardham may be performed by all sons independently if they are not living together as an undivided family with a common kitchen.
These are all hearsay information from my childhood. I submit that I am neither a purohit nor I know srardha mantras in full.

My opinion is that the Eldest son must perform varshaabdikam. But, Yearly shraddam to be performed by all sons, either together or separately. The bottom line is that no son is absolved of not performing /or participation in shraddam

You can do Hiranya Srardham which is simple. Since it has to be performed by each son, U can get the mantras, arrange two Brahmans in your place and perform by seeing the video. Try to get a video on this. I know Bramins may not be available in your place but u can always get from nearby town where Indians are living. Driving and being present for this ceremony is not a problem for anyone in USA, due to facility of Car. Alternately you may drive to a place after arranging telephonically.

My opinion is that the Eldest son must perform varshaabdikam. But, Yearly shraddam to be performed by all sons, either together or separately. The bottom line is that no son is absolved of not performing /or participation in shraddam
In religious matter individual opinions may be avoided. Only the pramanam, what is given in Dharma Sastram may be quoted without any twist.

You can do Hiranya Srardham which is simple. Since it has to be performed by each son, U can get the mantras, arrange two Brahmans in your place and perform by seeing the video. Try to get a video on this. I know Bramins may not be available in your place but u can always get from nearby town where Indians are living. Driving and being present for this ceremony is not a problem for anyone in USA, due to facility of Car. Alternately you may drive to a place after arranging telephonically.
Kindly reply as per the Sastram with necessary quotes like the reply given by our respected kgopalan ji. A lot of twisting has been done as per the individual's conveniences and because of that its values go down

Kindly reply as per the Sastram with necessary quotes like the reply given by our respected kgopalan ji. A lot of twisting has been done as per the individual's conveniences and because of that its values go down
In Kaliyuga, many rules mentioned in Sastram cannot/are not followed. It is just not possible. We are born and have to live till death comes. You have to earn money to live. Are we earning the money the way it has to be done as per Sastram?
Well, u have to do Srardham for our ancestors. Constraints are our work, time and resources. So, Acharyas (Dharmadhikari) have allowed easy ways to do instead of doing nothing. There are not in Sastram. Acharyas (Dharmadhikari) don't write amendment to the rule of Sastram and they just allow it. Many things are done as per Kula Sampradaya and they are in in Sastram. But it is in vogue. We are not leading our life as mentioned in Dharma Sastram. Characteristics of Yugas cannot be changed. Please tell me how many Brahmins are doing Sandhyavandanam all the three times regularly. How but Aupasanam and Vysvadevam by the married Brahmins; Offering Bhiksha to Brhamacharies and Sanyasis before they take food. Sorry for my long speech. It is just a pity the way we live in this situation.
Family priests do allow this as per our and their convenience.

"Family priests do allow this as per our and their convenience."
This one line is sufficient to do as, if it is wrong and if att all any papam it may go to the priests.
My concern is yajamanan should not invite papam.

"how many Brahmins are doing Sandhyavandanam all the three times regularly. Hoatw but Aupasanam and Vysvadevam by the married Brahmins; Offering Bhiksha to Brhamacharies and Sanyasis before they take food. Sorry for my long speech. It is just a pity the way we live in this situation."

"In Kaliyuga, many rules mentioned in Sastram cannot/are not followed. It is just not possible. We are born and have to live till death comes. You have to earn money to live. Are we earning the money the way it has to be done as per Sastram?"

Based on the above arguments, anybody can violate anything and do convenient to him. Like
Ex.: going inside temple with chappals - Young ladies can go to sabarimala or visit temples all the 30 days or youngsters can drink alcohol or steal money to live etc. Are we ready to accept ?
Acceptance depends on individuals mind.

Now a days Lady purohits are emerging. Ladies are chanting SriRudram with Mahanyasam
Whether we engage them in our family functions, in this kaliyugam, is a question ?

I am not against your views but against making it a public as it is similar to giving a sharp knife to a 2 years kid. Others will twist everything and finally the fear of GOD and DHARMAM will vanish.

This my view. Let us agree with our disagreements.

The fear of God and Dharmam have vanished for many people. There is no one to check this except the Acharyas who keep on telling this in their Upanyasas. People hear it and forget about it due very many reasons. Let us hope some improvement will come. Regards

Latest ads

Back